Sat, Sep 21, 6:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Right way to import character obj with textures into Blender ?

Mannixman ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 11:27 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 8:43 AM

Dear community,

I am trying to import a V4 character into Blender and stumble.
The basic obj imports fine from DAZ Studio but the textures don't quite.

I let Studio's export write a obj,mtl and collect maps and everything is put into a folder. I open the obj in Blender and while I mostly can see the textures in Object mode viewport, when rendering they come out slightly wrong and extremely pale. I also get a sawtooth like pattern over the shaded mesh, which seems to appear like material groups - and can't find a way to select the eyes or finger nails?

Can someone please give an amateur a solid run down on how to import a textured obj with everything needed to render well?

My aim is to import characters to try my hand at learning to make clothing. But I also would like to try Blender SSS and several other renderers on customised fully textured characters.

jestmart ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 9:28 PM

Blender still only allows 16 materials to be assigned to a single object.  If V4 is anything like V3 there are a lot more then 16 material zones.  You can use UV Mapper Classic ( it is free, Google it) to reduce the total.  The separate skin zones could be be re-assigned to a single zone, without having the figure I can't give you much more advice then that.

Mannixman ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 1:31 PM

Thanks for reminding me about the materials limit, jestmart.

I'm still a newbie and lack lots of deeper 3D knowledge. Have downloaded the utility and will try that way.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.