Tue, Oct 1, 5:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: OBJ Export Question

Touchwood ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 6:28 AM · edited Wed, 21 August 2024 at 6:46 PM

Is there any way to export to .obj format and not have blender tack on the mesh name after the object name and the image name for the materials?

i.e. Body_Cube.001 or material: tyre_tyre.jpg

I think I've tried every option for it to not do this but do not seem to have hit it yet. Is it at all possible as it gets to be a bit of a pain having to hand edit the obj file all the time.

bob1965 ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 8:01 AM

edit name in the Links and Materials panel before exporting the OBJ

Touchwood ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 7:46 AM

Doesn't make any difference, if you re-name the mesh object name the same as the object name is exports as Piston_Piston. i.e objectname_meshname.

The weird thing is that occasionally it will export just the objectname without the meshname and I'm just trying to find out what the criteria for that is.

Could it be a buggy exporter????

bob1965 ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 8:43 AM

Odd.

Which version are you using?

Touchwood ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 10:49 PM

Happens on all versions. 2.49 and 2.5 to SVN 30175.

bob1965 ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 7:48 AM

I've gone so far as to load Blender onto a clean machine and I can't replicate this problem.

Are you using the library function?

Could it be OS related? I'm on Windows.

LOL There is a certain measure of irony in this situation. You are trying to eliminate this problem, I'm trying to create the problem to understand it but neither of us is making any progress.

There has to be something simple we are both overlooking.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 8:14 AM

I share Touchwood's experience, regardless of whether I run Blender in Ubuntu Linux or Windows XP Pro.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

bob1965 ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 8:23 AM

I don't dispute the problem, I believe the problem exists, I just can't make the problem happen here.

Touchwood ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 2:23 AM · edited Tue, 13 July 2010 at 2:24 AM

Quote - I've gone so far as to load Blender onto a clean machine and I can't replicate this problem.

Are you using the library function?

Could it be OS related? I'm on Windows.

LOL There is a certain measure of irony in this situation. You are trying to eliminate this problem, I'm trying to create the problem to understand it but neither of us is making any progress.

There has to be something simple we are both overlooking.

I'm on windows (x64 but using 32bit Blender). Using 2.49b to test as the obj export in 2.5 is not working properly. Which Library function are you referring to? I suppose though if I have to ask it means I'm not using it.

Have been trying to replicate the problem using primitives only rather than a full model. So far using the primitives it appears only to happen if the object name differs from the mesh name.

If the object name = mesh name it exports using the object name only. If the mesh name is different, it exports as object name_mesh name. The anomaly though is that in complex meshes, if both OB+ME names are the same, the behaviour is not consistant.

Can you replicate this so far? Am still testing using more complex models though.

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 11:28 AM

TBH, I'd work with a single mesh (i.e. welded with no groups) and use UVMapper or similar to save and replace the groups.

Alternatively you could attempt to tweak the OBJ importer and/or exporter to better handle the naming.

Touchwood ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 11:37 PM

With the object naming it looks like its operator error. If both the OB and ME names are the same things are OK. Obviously, I'm not careful enough to get them to match when joining :-)

Any thoughts though on how to stop the appending of the image filename to the material name?

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 11:44 AM

Quote - Any thoughts though on how to stop the appending of the image filename to the material name?

Having looked at the exporter code (for 2.44) it appears that the mangling happens in there, so tweaking the code is the only way.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.