Mon, Oct 21, 10:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Br7ce

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 7:12 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 1:48 PM

file_456833.jpg

Bryce SEVEN...who would have thought it? In the past, just when I thought it's once again down for the count, the Brycers rally and make the ball rolling again.

And, the good times keep coming.  ;o)
(and...so will the bug fixes, lol)

AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

erosiaart ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 8:30 PM

*(and...so will the bug fixes, lol)

Great work.. love that jelly man!*

*um..er.. i've downloaded 7 pro.. but have to finish some work for a charity org for kids.. cover/insides of their annual report..etc..all photoshop)  before I can sit and fool around with it. *

*Did you find tons of bugs?? *

PS.. You around!! Whee!!  I just watched the matrix trilogy last week..one after the other..and thought of you ..so if you were hiccuping lots last week.. you know why...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 8:56 PM

There are still some rough edges here and there with B7 but I know the team that's on it, thwy will get them stomped out.

Yeah, its a little surreal to dive back into Bryce and Renderosity but I've got a little time while I look for my next job, lol.

Smiths' code defends against bugs like hiccuping. (but its the thought that counts so thanks!)

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 10:51 PM

NIce render AS.. and good to see you around again.... 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incognitas ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 3:33 AM

I'm just learning and playing with clouds.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 8:24 AM
Forum Moderator

That's the thing about Smithy. He's devious and likes to sneek up on ya! Methinks he wants his old job back. :lol:

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 8:33 AM

yea what are these "new cloud controls"  exactly? its not really specified in the b7 specs on the site?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 8:46 AM
Forum Moderator

Ray, I think you'll find you'll have greater control over clouds and lighting in general.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 9:06 AM

I'll leave the Mod-ding to the professionals on-hand.  ;o)

There's a LOT of new controls for the IBL (HDRI).

erosiaart ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 9:20 AM

extremely stupid question..do i uninstall 5.5 before i install 7 pro? not an upgrade..picked it fresh..straight from the tree..

draculaz ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 9:30 AM

hmm...

RodsArt ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 9:45 AM

New controls huh? ......experimenting is the fancy way to say PLAY!

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 12:19 PM
Forum Moderator

Rosie? You shouldn't have to uninstall anything.

erosiaart ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 12:25 PM

thanks Chris..

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote - Ray, I think you'll find you'll have greater control over clouds and lighting in general.

Can i find any specifics anywhere? I'd like to know what i get before i buy...

B7 looks like its getting marketed by monkeys, there are about 3 or 4 different pages describing its features and improvements and all of them give only a partial explaination, very confusing.

Shouldnt every b7 link on the daz website point to the same big fancy marketing page that screams "The new bryce 7 now with ecosystems! instancing! volumetric clouds! improved HDRI support! Faster rendering! Brand new TA implementation!" and then gives a complete list of features that explains what exactly the features are, especially if they use terminology that isnt industry-standard.

It should have some clear showcases of the coolest new features, the promo video should look professional, the new features should have their controls linked to interface elements that have names representing the nature of the feature.

The "particle emitter" is about the ugliest hack that has ever been called a feature, and daz itself advertizes the application as being in need of future bugfixes and everything...

I'm not at all convinced that this new version is anywhere near ready for sale... it feels like any of the important updates are potentially unstable and after seeing the demonstration videos it feels like the interface that once was intuitive is becoming confusing instead.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 12:58 PM

Yes, Rosie.  I have Bryce5.5c, Bryce6.3 and a couple of the Bryce7Betas as well as the new Bryce7 Pro all on the same PC.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 3:34 PM

Quote - > Quote - Ray, I think you'll find you'll have greater control over clouds and lighting in general.

the new features should have their controls linked to interface elements that have names representing the nature of the feature.

The "particle emitter" is about the ugliest hack that has ever been called a feature, and daz itself advertizes the application as being in need of future bugfixes and everything..

Oh I do so agree with this - would it have been so very hard to create a proper icon/ controls for the particle emitter - and how about being able to emit more than just spheres?

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

Vile ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 6:24 PM

Oh this is really spooky treat, it's like a reunion of Brycers here...

Howdy Gang! Been a long time since I have seen this group all in one thread, back when we would fake HDRI in Bryce!

Hope everyone is well, and since my license is up I need to go by me some Bryce! I hope it is more stable soon!

Some of my Bryce 7 beta work.

Azraelll ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 8:15 PM

I bought my B7 Pro last night.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 10:41 AM

Ah...faking HDRI in Bryce, good times!

Haven't played with the emitter yet...;o)

AS

Incognitas ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 11:37 AM

file_456898.jpg

I just took 7 hours to render this.Bryce still lies about render times..said it would only be 2 hours..

Still my first  real attempt at making clouds in Bryce.It's nothing special but I did it.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 11:56 AM

LIKE the clouds!!!

Yeah, Bryce seems to still ie about render times especially for volumetric and glass materials, lol.

AS

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 12:01 PM

file_456902.jpg

Nothing special as far as B7 goes here, just was using this as a base to then instance a ton of trees onto, see how far I could go with it. But, like how the IBL lighting looked so far.

AS

rashadcarter ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 12:15 PM

Vile, Those renders are beyond sickening.Amazing and professional looking work!

Incognitas, Those clouds are FANTASTIC! I think they look quite awesome. Some of the best I have seen. When rendering in standard AA mode, the render times of each pass are to be added together to get a more accurate estimate. Add the times listed for each pass together. In premium mode, the time shown is the real time. Why it does not work the same in both modes is beyond me.

AS, Long time no see. Looks good the stuff you are doing. Wonderful fun this thread is.

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 12:56 PM

Wow...Vile, Fran, Agent Smith, Draculaz...the knurrs from de vooodvurk come!...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

rashadcarter ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 1:11 PM · edited Sun, 01 August 2010 at 1:13 PM

file_456915.jpg

Here is my most recent Bryce 7 Pro render to test the realism potential of the new Dome Lights. One Dome Light is enlarged and the scene is placed within it. The second Dome light is much smaller and is used as the soft shadow key light. The backdrop is an hdri based on a previous Bryce render, but does not produce any light for this test. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks all for your time.

Full Size: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2089758

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2010 at 1:48 PM

Awesome setup! Seriously making me hungry (haven't eaten lunch yet).

I noticed what appears to be some rough AA around the outlines of the silverware (in your galleries larger version) Could that just be from concentrated areas of reflections on those meshes? (Since I don't see rough edges anywhere else in the render.

Just curious.

rashadcarter ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 1:44 AM

AS, good question. I found the jaggies a bit disturbing as well but just assumed it was me being overly critical of myself. It could be a combination of the two issues. If the moesh is not high enough in polygons, then I would expect jaggies. Add that in with reflection and the known limitations of Bryce AA, no surprise there are some issues.

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 8:54 AM

Quote - Oh this is really spooky treat, it's like a reunion of Brycers here...

Yeah, I'm surprised as well, I'd have thought most of you would have died of old age before this happened!

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 11:40 AM
Forum Moderator

I'd have thought most of you would have died of old age before this happened!

You wish :lol:

goido ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 1:11 PM

I am glad Bryce 7 is here, I love Bryce even though I don't use as much. I am happy because I got a free Version of Vue and it is different to use. I liked the clouds and trees from Vue but everything else you have to buy separerely and it can get costly. I now see here great clouds and the instancing looks promising. I always like the render engine from Bryce and the upgrade price is fantastic. What are the known bugs? Please keep posting artwork done with B7 since is the best way to see realworld examples of the software.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 4:15 PM · edited Mon, 02 August 2010 at 4:22 PM

file_456997.jpg

> Quote - Ah...faking HDRI in Bryce, good times! > > Haven't played with the emitter yet...;o) > > AS

I have - I actually find it to be pretty basic and being so well hidden makes it frustrating to use.

Now if it could emit metaballs....!!!

Oh and here's something I rendered with Bryce7 RC2 just before I downloaded the new Bryce7Pro

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 4:40 PM

Quote - Wow...Vile, Fran, Agent Smith, Draculaz...the knurrs from de vooodvurk come!...;)

Knurrs?

Sounds... icky.

I popped in now and then in but as I was doing a 3 year course at uni - I didn't have a lot of time.

The good news is I passed, (quite pleased with my grade too) so now unless I get really unlucky and manage to find myself with a job, I should have more time to hang around here.

And pester you lot!

Lol! (waves happily at everybody) :m_wave:

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 6:22 PM

I'm trying to die of old age, but so far, I'm immortal.

(so far, anyways)

Incognitas ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 6:37 PM

At 57 I have a lot of catching up to do..

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 11:38 PM

file_457009.jpg

Some of my clouds I made with my first Bryce 7 betas are now coming out a different color/brightness, but stuff like that is to be expected with early software. At least the shape is the same.  ;o)

goido ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 2:11 AM

Does Bryce 7 comes with different clouds presets or is still done with streched spheres? Does instancing resembles ecosystem in Vue? I mean does it helps create forests?

Bambam131 ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 7:29 AM

Is anyone having the same problem that I am having, not being able to import files created with Bryce 5.5 into 7 Pro. It seems that there is still the problem with handling memory. It will not handle a 300 Meg file but I can import that same file into Bryce 6.3 and it will load correctly every time. But if you add more parts to that file in 6.3 it will run out of memory and will crash Bryce.
The only version of Bryce that still seem to be able to handle large files over 300 Meg's is 5.5.
I even created the model in Bryce 7 Pro thinking that it may work better and allow me to start using this version but, it will still crash the program even though I have only created about 75% of the same model.
Memory still seems to be the biggest problem that this new version of Bryce has not been able to resolve.
I am running Win XP SP3 with 3 gigs of ram actually 4 but a 32 bit OS only uses 3 gigs and video cards that has either 512 to 1 Gig of memory. This issue occurs on 5 different computers. So I do not believe that the issue lies with the computers.
Any thoughts!

Thanks,

David

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 7:57 AM
Forum Moderator

I'll be trying that with a 500mb file soon, David.

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 7:57 AM

@Bambam131:  That sounds like quite a serious bug.. have you reported it at Daz yet?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 12:40 PM

What single file do you guys have that are 300mb and 500mb??  ;o)

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 12:49 PM

@AS:  Terrains and high-res textures. Should be right up your alley right? lol

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

rashadcarter ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 12:55 PM

Remember folks, Bryce 6 and 7 compress files during save. Bryce 5.5 does not compress anything. Therefore, you cannot compare file sizes between them directly. It all relates to how much ram you use when the file is running, forget the file size on disc.

Bryce 5.5, i have several scenes with 400mb. But to reach 400mb in Bryce 7 with zip compression would be a massive file indeed.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 2:33 PM

Yeah, but what SINGLE file is 300-500mb?

I mean, I would have to create/use an 8K (8,192 x 8,192) image texture to reach a filesize of just around 200mb. And that would be an uncompressed image for Terrain creation use. If it were for a texture, I would save it as a lossless jpg, then it should be well under 50mb.

And...I don't know...or forget if Bryce will handle any image over 4K (4,096 x 4,096) without downsampling/resizing it (to fit into 4K), which means why even use anything over 4K. Maybe Rashad can weigh in on that...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 2:36 PM

Now, if you are talking an .obj...then I guess I could see that?

I've brought multi-million poly models from my ZBrush into Bryce. Biggest one I have had is almost 300mb.

But, I have the same basic specs as Bambam and have had no problems with importing that (it just takes a while, lol)

But, now ZBrush has a polygon reducer, so those days are thankfully over.

Bambam131 ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 3:07 PM

Quote - What single file do you guys have that are 300mb and 500mb??  ;o)

The file that I am reffering to are some of my spaceships and the one that I was talking about is my redesign USS Shenandoah and it is only the Command deck and HAB. I haven't even thought about adding the Lander or the engine section which would push the file size up to alomst a gig.

I wish they would of work more on memory issue then they did.

David

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 3:31 PM

Ah, yes....how could I forget what you create in Bryce?
Crazily detailed, Bryce primitive booleaned insanity!  ;oD

Yeah, when I was making booleaned objects, at times I would save various groups as a scenefile and then later use the "Merge" option. Or, save them as .obp's, to be joined up later. Anything to keep what I was working on at the time down in ram.

But, yeah, I can imagine trying to place together thousands of pieces and not crash.

goido ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 5:46 PM

How are the trees in B7? Are the trunks still straight sticks or they have some sort of shape?

EngleWolf ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 6:20 PM · edited Tue, 03 August 2010 at 6:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_210/file_2092195.jpg

Really impressed with the B7 renders in this thread. Great job everyone.  Bought 7 Pro yesterday and mixed in one of my metaball creations with HDRI.  Thought it would have taken forever to render, but only took a half hour. Very happy with the render time!

EngleWolf ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 6:40 PM

To reply to Bambam131 above:  I have rendered a gig plus size image before. And that was about 5-6 years ago when I had a AMD Athlon 1100 Mhz proc and about a gig of ram.  It took forever and a day to render it.  It would show that bryce wasn't responding, but eventually would catch up after a couple nights of sleep!  I would say o add your extra engine or ship and push it above a gig, maybe even 2 gigs. I don't know what kind and size puter you got, but with todays puters I would feel it would definately handle those complex images we all know you make at it!!  Good Luck!!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2010 at 6:53 PM

You are the master of artistic metaball renders, EW. (period).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.