Thu, Sep 19, 9:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:56 pm)

Subject: Problem with 3-D-C products in Daz Studio

galactica1981 ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 8:48 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:55 PM

I really like 3-D-C's Scifi products, but the background planes that come with them don't show up in the renders. For example, the new Scifi City Construction Set Base Pack 1 has one of them. Does anyone know of a way to make it work?

PoppaC ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 8:55 PM

use your own lights not the ones they offer then ck all your setting ALL the same thing happens with river cottage

galactica1981 ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 7:25 AM

I tried using my own lights but it doesn't make a difference. Any other ideas?

AlanaDale ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 12:09 PM · edited Thu, 10 January 2013 at 12:10 PM

Looking at the product page, it says it comes with a 5 page tutorial and a 20 minute video.

Have you tried looking at those?

Have you even tried looking at the surface tab for the backplane to see what is attached?  DS does not understand certain shader descriptions that Poser uses routinely.

galactica1981 ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 12:47 PM

I took your advice. I went into the surface tab and changed the diffuse color from black to white (255 255 255) and... it worked! It now shows up in the render! Thank you!

Bejaymac ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 8:23 PM

Get used to having issues as there isn't any Poser content that is DS compatible, everything has to be converted into something DS can use, hell even the textures have to be converted.

Poser Cameras - have always been useless in DS (complete waste of HDD space)

Poser Lights - almost as bad as the cameras, half the time they load in as the wrong type or are pointing in the wrong direction, they also don't have as many functions as our own do.

Dynamic Cloth & Hair - Hair is useless in DS, Cloth can be used in DS4 but only if it's been built right and only for converting to conforming for Genesis.

Poser Procedural shaders - Totally useless as we can't read Poser shaders.

Those are the main issues to look out for when your looking at content, there are others but you usually only find out about them after you've bought something.

PoppaC ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2013 at 8:59 PM

"Get used to having issues as there isn't any Poser content that is DS compatible..."

WOW what a bummer this is as I do not agree with most of what you say here, There tons upon tons of Poser content that IS DAZ3d compatable!  Granted we who use DAZ3d cannot use a lot of poser stuff   but, I for one have had little or no txeter problems or problem with most of poser items working in DAZ3d. it is obious you do not like DAZ3d and do not want to take the time to lean so that others can learn from you as this is what the posting is all about.  So please of you have nothing good to add or help  to offer then please do not post anything.

Bejaymac ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 12:57 AM · edited Fri, 11 January 2013 at 12:58 AM

First off DAZ3d is the website, the software is called Studio.

"C:Program FilesDAZ 3DDAZStudio4pluginsdzpz3importer.dll" move that plugin to your desktop, start up Studio and then see just how compatible your Poser content is. You don't actually load Poser content into DS, you import it through a plugin so it can be converted into something DS can use, the biggest convertion job for the plugin is Poser rigging, we've never been able to use it, the plugin has been converting it into a crippled weight map system since the very first build of DS.

The other big convertion is the textures in your scene, the jpg etc are only used in the viewport, tdlmake converts them into TDL files and stores them in your temp directory, the TDL are a mipmapped TIF format, which is 3Delight's prefered format.

You probably already know that all Poser material settings are crap when imported into DS, resulting in us haveing to adjust them, well there are more Poser MAT files appearing that don't do anything when you apply them in DS, and they aren't procedural shaders, which leaves us having to rebuild the surfaces rather than adjust them.

Then there's my all time pet hate, MORPHS, if I had £1 for every one I've fixed for my friends over the years I could have retired a couple of years ago. Have you ever loaded an item of clothing, spun some of the morph dials and have absolutely nothing happen, that's broken ERC code and it's all too common outside of DAZ3d.

Now you see what I mean about not being compatible.

dyret ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 8:55 AM

Please, please can we have a application war? Please!

Bejaymac ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 12:29 PM · edited Fri, 11 January 2013 at 12:31 PM

Quote - Please, please can we have a application war? Please!

It will have to be a DS v DS war then, as I'm a long term DS user, been using it since DS1.3 :biggrin:

PoppaC ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 12:54 PM

NOW!  this a war I will gladely take part in and perhaps learn a few new tricks I have forgotten or was lost in battel, I still have DAZ 1.2 though I do not use it, now Just 3 and 4.56

dyret ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 3:11 AM

Shoot! And here I was thinking I'd have some good poser vs daz entertainment this weekend! Now what to do? Oh well...

Spit ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 1:58 AM

It doesn't matter that Studio uses a dll to convert all Poser content so why bring it up? Neither does it matter that tdlmake converts texture images for use in the renderer 3Delight so why bring it up.

Studio complies strictly with the wavefront object standard, Poser does not. It's neither good nor bad the way each handles it. The only problem is that Poser forgives non-standard usage whereas Studio does not.

I've spent more money here at Renderosity for Poser stuff this past year than the entire last decade. 99% of the stuff I've purchased, and it's a lot, needs little more than minor surface material changes to work just fine in Studio.

I even purchase stuff the vendor says is not compatible. They just don't want to bother learning another program and they can get away with it (mostly) because most stuff works with only minor issues that are easily overcome.

I love the renders people do with BOTH programs and think this whole conversation is silly. That's why I joined in. :) I just love silly conversations.

PoppaC ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 3:58 AM

I have used Stedio for years now and Love it though I do get a little HMMMMMMM but then I love the ease of it mostly DDclick and there you go you got a great render.  But I do wish some day, though it may be a fleeting dream, that someone will make a plug-in so that we Stedio user can take full advantage of all the great dynamic clothing. Yes we do have Optix but it is limited to it's own product.... "Some day over the Rainbooooooooooow..."  Hmmm does it every time

cschell ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 10:06 PM

Odd... I've never had any issue at all other than very very very minor surface tweeks using Poser content in Daz... the only format Daz doesn't use is pz3 but my personal opinion is that an item offered as "fully rigged for Poser' isn't or shouldn't be a pz3 as that's a scene file not a "fully rigged" anything... I'd say about 90% of my many gig's of runtime are Poser items not Studio ones...

I also use Daz Studio (the figure set-up tools are great for that) to create fully functional Poser items that work both in Daz and Poser... again only with slight tweeks to surface values... and honestly if you take time to learn what surface settings to use you can set them up so the item will appear almost exactly the same in Poser as it does when it's created in Daz (eliminating all but the most minor of adjustments)...

Not flaming Poser or Daz, by the way... I have and use both in my work flow... Daz to rig figures and export cr2/pp2/pz2 files.... and Poser to do preliminary beta-testing and surface tweeks for final set-up and to fix any mesh issues that Poser may find that Daz didn't...

In fact my experience is more that Poser is too specific in some things and models that work fine in without any issues what-so-ever in Daz may have surface issues in Poser's preview window that either dissappear when rendered and are even worse on Poser render than in Poser's preview window... Also Daz is more forgiving on conforming items than Poser and things that conform properly in Daz may get really screwy when conformed in Poser... Hence my use of Poser to beta-test to resolve any discrepancies in a project... They are both usefull and when used together can be very complimentary programs as part of an over-all workflow...

AlanaDale ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 12:44 AM

If you are not using procedural shaders, there will be not much difference.

DS can use PZ3's, from the import menu, just specify Poser files as type and the scene files will show up as choices.

Disadvantages are that the load of poser cameras are imported and they do not give satisfactory results to me.  Same goes for the light import.

SilverDolphin ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 6:43 PM

I would suggest that if you create a Daz Studio fix for something that is sold here please contact the creator and ask if it is ok to post the fix in the free section. This would help alot of new users and hopefully create more sales for the Merchants who sale stuff.

Just a thought.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.