Fri, Sep 20, 2:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: How do I align objects in Poser 9?

Michaelab ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2013 at 3:57 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 5:57 PM

file_497802.png

I have 12 circles within a larger circle and I need to have those circles aligned and spaced accurately like in a clock. Each circle represents a line on a clock so I need them perfectly spaced and positioned.

How do you expert poser users align objects in relation to one another in Poser?

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2013 at 4:12 PM

Is each item a prop?

If so what do they look like when no translations or rotations are applied. i.e. what does your starting point look like?

ironsoul ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2013 at 4:54 PM

If I've understood the problem correctly, you could try the following.

1. Create the larger circle (position 0,0,0)

2. Create a smaller circle and position as required

3. Parent the smaller circle to the larger one

4. Select the small circle, activate the group tool and select all the small circle then select create prop. This should create a new small circle at the same postion as the first

5. Select the larger circle and rotate along the verticle axis by 30 degrees

6. The original smaller circle should also rotate

7. Repeat steps 4 - 6 until the dial is built.

Parent all the smaller circles to the main dial.

Michaelab ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2013 at 7:21 PM

I gather by your responses there is no guide in poser to align. And there is no grid either.

Yes, each item is a prop. The small discs are actually flattened spheres (BB's orb) because I figured it would be easier to align.

Starting point? Don't know what you mean by that, PhilC.

Good idea ironsoul, thank you, I could do that and I may. I was hoping for guide lines. If nothing better comes along I'll have to start over and do this option.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2013 at 11:34 PM

It would be dead easy in a modelling program.

by using a wireframe mode you can see the mesh of the props. I would put the one sphere in place and move its center to the disks center, then copy the sphere and rotate each in multiples of 30 degrees. when all are in place parent them together.

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 6:42 AM

file_497822.txt

Ironsoul's method is probably easiest.  Here's a 12-sided flat polygon to use as a center guide, so you can have exact points to pin each child circle. 

Rename the downloaded file to circle-guide.pp2, then put it in any props folder.

Load it, scale it to the right size, then Z-rotate it to populate with child circles.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 7:39 AM

You could also place the small circlular prop wherever you want it (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, whatever), use the joint editor to set the origin of the small circle at 0,0 and then edit:duplicate the circle, and Y-rotate 30'.  Repeat...

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 9:27 AM · edited Mon, 02 September 2013 at 9:28 AM

you could use collision detection so they won't go over the edge of the big sphere.

it's an interesting exercise. would be kewl idea to make for free stuff 😄

i would type in the x and z parameters for precision placement.

starting with the spheres at origin 0,0,0

select one, x= 3, (or whatever your distance)
select 2nd, x= -3
3rd z = 3
4th z = -3

the others, hmm. what equation to use?

don't think the slope formula would help here, y = mx + b

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 12:31 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2013 at 12:38 PM

X=radius*cos(angle)  

Y=radius*sin(angle)

1 o'clock:  X=1.5, Y=2.598

2 o'clock:  X=2.598,Y=1.5

And the other clock positions use these same values, but are negative where appropriate.

P.S.     The clock hand (the radius) and the X and Y coordinates are related by their squares:

r^2 = X^2 + Y^2

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Michaelab ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 3:22 PM

Thank you seachnagaigh. Obviously you're a math wizard. I am not and can't tell what you mean by:

"And the other clock positions use these same values, but are negative where appropriate."

Could you give me further instruction on this?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 4:03 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2013 at 4:10 PM

file_497830.png

The cardinal positions (12, 3, 6, 9) have coordinates of 0 and 3.  The in-between positions (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11) have coordinates of 1.5 and 2.598076211...

In the bottom half of the clock face, Y values are negative.  On the left half of the clock, the X values are negative.

Rounding 2.598076211... to 2.6 for illustration, the X,Y coordinates look like the diagram.

(I'm using Misty's radius of three in this example)

Poser 12, in feet.  

Michaelab ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2013 at 8:22 PM

Thank you seachnasaigh! Marvelous! Works perfectly. Guess math has a way of doing that/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.