Wed, Sep 18, 1:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 12:29 pm)

Subject: Add Opacity File in a DUF

flibbits ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 12:11 AM · edited Fri, 13 September 2024 at 11:23 AM

I have edited DUF files to load different images onto surfaces.

How do I add an opacity file? I don't have an example to see what the entry/extra lines have to be.

Does anyone know? I want to load an existing transparency map (a black/white image I made to make parts of a clothing item transparent) onto the Opacity node (not sure what to call it).

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 3:51 PM

Why not edit in DS, in the Surfaces pane assuming you are using a pre-made shader?

flibbits ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 5:13 PM

Yes, that works,. But I want to make a DUF file, so next time I want to apply this I can apply it with a click of an icon. A DUF file also makes it so I won't have to add a note to say "hey, there are additional custom made textures for this." If there's an icon (from the DUF file and a PNG file) in MyLibrary (generally in the materials sub folder under the clothing item), then it's right there to see.

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2017 at 6:01 PM

Saving a material or shader preset can do all that. Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to achieve. Material/shader presets both save as ".duf " A material preset saves for a specific surface name and a shader preset saves for application to any surface.

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 12:03 AM

I don't know about material/shader presets.

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 2:20 AM

You can save all of the surface panel settings as either a material or a shader preset which will create a .duf file which can be applied later.

You can also save a partial preset by drilling down when you save and ticking only the parameters you want to include such as Opacity. When a partial preset is applied it will only modify the included parameters.

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 3:39 AM · edited Fri, 03 November 2017 at 3:41 AM

This video covers saving a shader preset: I have set it up to play from saving a material preset, the rest of video covers working with surfaces.

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 4:55 PM

Thanks.

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2017 at 9:07 PM

I can't believe I've been doing this by editing DUF files, when it can just be saved.

Razor42 ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2017 at 8:43 PM

Ah well, look at this way. You probably have a better understanding of the file structure then most do, and that can be helpful when creating presets as you know whats happening under the hood. There used to be a time when many things could only be done in a .txt editor, but the Save presets have come a long way over time.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.