Sat, Aug 3, 5:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 27 12:14 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Is there a list of what is being updated in the Poser 11.2 files?

Alisa ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 8:29 PM ยท edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 9:52 PM

I downloaded the Poser 11.2 update last week and have installed the files. There are a huge number of files that take a lot of bandwidth, obviously.

Now, many of the files have later dates (including the 1.2 gb Poser exe file, so I know SOMETHING was updated for a lot of the files. Is there some place with information about WHAT has changed on each day in each of the files that has been updated?

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have enough monthly bandwidth from my ISP to be re-downloading gigabites of data every time the date changes....

Thanks!

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director

donnena ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 8:51 PM

Please don't download the beta files. Poser 11.2.272 is the latest production release. It is fully tested and is ready to be used by everyone.
We get a new build every night because it is an automated process. There may or may not be a change to the files, and because these are not production files, there is no guarantee some undiscovered error hasn't crept in. If you aren't willing to loose all Poser 11 functionality, Beta files are best avoided.

;>

Andy!

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 9:22 PM

Ohhh, thanks for asking Alisa, and thanks for the response Andy, as I was looking this afternoon and saw a newer date, but since there's no real notice that it's a "nightly build", I was wondering whether to download and install again. Glad to hear we don't have to.

Come to think of it, I'm sure there will be a notice (here on the forum or by email) when there's an official update for PP11.2.272.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

donnena ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 9:42 PM

I bet we will tell everyone when we release the new version!!!

;>

Andy!

Alisa ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 11:25 PM

I didn't download the beta. It was the "official" files, which we were told to download and install so that we didn't lose our ability to use Poser...

And all the other extra files that you need to stick your s/n in to get.

Cheers,
Alisa

phd ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 3:05 AM

Is there any official changelog(s)? If yes, please point me. If not, we really need it!

For now, I downloaded: 3 LaFemme content versions (~20M & ~40M difference), 2 Premium Content versions (~100M difference). 2 Poser not-beta versions too.

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 12:51 PM

I think a good many folks would like an official changelog, be it for the software itself, or the content files as well.

Butterfly Dezignz

donnena ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 2:41 PM

Features of Poser 11.2
New Female Figure
La Femme is the new default figure and will join Maize & Pauline as Poser native ladies. All Pro options are included.
Items formerly restricted to Poser Pro versions are available in this release.
Control Handles
Provides an easy way to give ghost bones a handle that is automatically excluded from renders, making it much easier to work with in the scene. Handles can be parented to any body part and set to control any other part. And now, they no longer appear in the Prop drop down menu!
Improved Library Search
Streamlined internal and external content search (Now you can easily search Renderosity for new content from within the program.)
Additionally,
โ€ข Streamlined menus (We removed broken links and added links to the official forums, support, and the Renderosity community.)
โ€ข Rebranded from Smith Micro to Bondware
โ€ข New licensing management, that allows more than 3 install attempts.
โ€ข New Help PDFs
โ€ข Refactored minimum basic runtime to improve performance (We reduced folder depth and removed redundant files.)
โ€ข 21-day free trial feature added
โ€ข Restored HDRI rendering option for Firefly
โ€ข Control props for Figure grouped under Props listing
โ€ข 8+ gigs of new content, including Superfly lights by Blackhearted; HiveWire3D's Dawn, Dusk and Baby Luna figures; HiveWire3D's Gorilla for Dusk; and HiveWire3D's Horse; and the original toon figure Maisie
โ€ข In total, there is more than 15 gigs of additional content, which includes legacy content, like older figures, clothing and other assets that were previously included with Poser.

;>

Andy!

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 5:42 PM

Thank you Andy!! I just downloaded the newer Install Poser and PoserSupport files, so now I have an idea what's being updated. ๐Ÿ˜„

Butterfly Dezignz

phd ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 5:10 AM

Thank you, Andy, but the question remains. What is the difference between PRODUCTION files from 26, 23, 18 Sep? Production = from the main download page, before validation. It's certainly not nightly builds. What the difference between premium content files from 24, 23, 19 Sep? I have unlimited and fast bandwidth, but a couple of gigs every other day seems excessive. Unless there is clear reason.

raven ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 6:38 AM

I agree with phd. A change log readme at least would be nice each time a newly dated (would still prefer a version number) P11 installer file appears. My 11.2 is working currently so I'm not going to bother to download a 1.2 gig file just so that all that's changed is a title on a menu or some other minor non essential thing (excessive example, but you get my drift hopefully) but if it is something useful I will.

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 1:00 PM ยท edited Fri, 27 September 2019 at 1:02 PM

I agree as well. Andy's response above is "generally" good, but I'd also like a "specific" update list as most software companies show on their websites.

I had suggested a Read Only post here in the forum to Jenn, but perhaps a page on the PoserSoftware.com site would be better, and it can just be updated each time to list what the new changes have been made per version number, and everyone will have access to view it when they go to that site to check to see if there are updates.

A second page with a list of what was updated in the content zips would also be very useful, as not everyone, myself especially, would be interested in installing every little thing in those content zips.

Butterfly Dezignz

Alisa ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 1:34 PM

Yes, what phd is asking is the question I started the thread about.

Andy, what you are explaining is new in the PP11.2 update is appreciated. However, what we need is an ongoing list (as Miss B notes) that explains exactly what is changed from the last update. For example, there is a Product Update forum at HiveWire where posts are made when a product is updated, explaining what has changed. I know many Software companies do this as well.

Unlike phd, I know many of us (including myself do not have unlimited bandwidth and I have already incurred extra charges because of downloading the entire batch of zips (which, please do not get me wrong, are VERY appreciated :)). So I, for one, want to be more careful.

Knowing what's different in each iteration of both the Poser exe and the content zips would be very helpful in allowing us to decide what and when to download, as raven notes.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Alisa

tsoren ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2019 at 12:08 PM

Some thoughts: The compare log from a tool like KDiff or WinMerge posted as a text file may be enough to show differences between content files. That is the sort of thing I would look at if downloading the files to see what was different. For the code itself, maybe the check-in log from a source code version control system, if one is being used. Post that as a text file in the same download folder as the distribution files. I recognize this doesn't provide the higher level context and leaves room for interpretation about what the differences mean to an end user but I think it would be a good starting point.

tsoren ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2019 at 12:42 PM ยท edited Sat, 28 September 2019 at 12:47 PM

Here is an example showing a compare of a recent content zip files, showing two files added. Note: if the compare was of unzipped folders, the dates would be accurate and not the timestamps of the temporary unzip folders: image.png

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2019 at 5:20 PM ยท edited Sat, 28 September 2019 at 5:21 PM

That's interesting tsoren, but probably more information than is needed. For instance, I don't know of anyone who would really need to know if a folder is "identical", or "text files are identical".

Most folks would only care about the differences, and from what I see of your screenshot, it shows "when" there's a difference, but not "what" the difference is. That's what I would like to see listed, what the actual difference is. That way I can decide whether it's something I need to re-download, or something I can ignore, or something which can wait to see if there's a further update coming.

Butterfly Dezignz

tsoren ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2019 at 7:06 PM

It is coarse grained information at this level. With the actual compare tool there is drill down to see side by side file comparison and exactly what the differences are on each file. I was thinking this is just an easy addition to the current process that doesn't require someone typing up a summary. A typed summary would be the best in my opinion. Something like ReadMe files as someone pointed out in another thread. Just to clarify what the screenshot shows, if you get this information as a text file, it is comma separate values. It can be opened in a worksheet, like google sheets, excel, or libreoffice calc. Then it can be filtered by column heading so all the "identical" rows become hidden and only changes show up. In this case the rows with "Left only" means those files are in the latest version of the zip so they were added. If the row said "Right only" then it means the files were removed. So it does describe: files added, files removed, files changed (just that they were changed, no details). If those files are not on content you care about, then safe to say you would not need the download. I just re-downloaded content files today to see that seems to be only to move the content into a sub-folder. This method would have shown that, so for someone doing their installs manually, they would probably not be interested in re-downloading.

tsoren ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2019 at 7:28 PM

Now that I compare the sub-folder of the latest zip to the root of a prior one, I am seeing more differences. So in addition to the new parent folder, this describes changes to some documentation, additional license files, and some texture folders. Ultimately, this could be a tool for someone to use who wants to summarize the differences after all parties are done making changes and the zip is being created and uploaded to the download folder. This is the result of comparing just one of the zips to a prior version. image.png

perpetualrevision ( ) posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 6:44 PM

I agree with the others that it would be helpful to have some details about what exactly has been changed between the 09-26-2019 downloadable and the one from 09-19-2019, given that installing an update apparently requires me to download nearly 2GB of files again (much of which is redundant, since it's not like the entire app was changed).

Like many others, I have bandwidth limits (with satellite internet) that prevent me from being able to make such large downloads more than a few times a month. When I open Poser, it informs me that an update is available, but I don't want to get the downloadable available today and then find that there's a new one there tomorrow, since I don't have enough bandwidth for that. But if the one there today has notable improvements I could benefit from, then I'd go ahead and get it.

What I'd prefer is if Poser could run an in-app "update" that doesn't require downloading the entire zip again, the way many apps do (at least on my Mac). Only what's actually changed gets downloaded, which uses a lot less bandwidth. But maybe that's not possible for some reason?

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

SidheRoseGraphics ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 12:33 AM

If you look in the Documentation that you should be downloading with the 1!.2.2?? whatever version there is a file in there called - are you ready? "Poser 11 Readme". It has all the updates and changes in it, looks like to me.

phd ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:21 AM

And my version of this readme is dated 2017. More, the last version does not update the Documentation folder at all - only help files in Poser dir. On Win.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 10:46 AM

Very true, because the Poser 11 Readme.rtf file is for Poser 11 Version 1, from Smith Micro.

Poser11ReadMe.jpg

It's never been updated.

Butterfly Dezignz

raven ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 10:50 AM

Also, I'm not downloading a 1.2gb file for a readme ๐Ÿ˜„

perpetualrevision ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 3:46 PM

raven posted at 2:42PM Thu, 03 October 2019 - #4365170

Also, I'm not downloading a 1.2gb file for a readme ๐Ÿ˜„

Exactly! If the problem is that we can't do such large downloads often, then how does doing a large download solely to view the readme help with that problem?

The Readme (or a change log) should be available as a link to a text file, the way they are on Renderosity product pages, so that we can check out what's changed in the newest version and THEN decide if we want to download it (or wait for the next update).

I appreciate frequent app updates, but I just don't have enough bandwidth to spare to download 1+ GB files only to find that the only thing updated was the location of library folders!

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

HKHan99 ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 6:13 PM

I would feel better about Poser, Bondware, Renderosity and possibly life in general if someone in an official capacity would respond to this. This is a problem that should not exist to begin with, it's very unprofessional and should be fixed ASAP. I assume the dev team keeps change logs, taking a few minutes to edit the highlights and put them in a readme on the download page shouldn't be much of a burden. I'm not sure why so many updates are coming out so quickly, it suggests that they are trying to fix a lot of problems. This is good, of course, but telling people which problems are fixed would make that a lot better- and there's something to be said for patches for a lot of issues. A whole new version every few days creates problems as well as, hopefully, solving some.

structure ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 6:16 PM
Forum Coordinator

Somebody in an official capacity already answered - however that person is not currently available, please be patient and information will be forthcoming.

Locked Out

HKHan99 ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 8:29 PM

structure posted at 7:53PM Thu, 03 October 2019 - #4365747

Somebody in an official capacity already answered - however that person is not currently available, please be patient and information will be forthcoming.

If you mean Donnena's post, that's nice but doesn't really tell us much, it's more like promotional copy than a change log. It doesn't even tell us which version she's referring to, or how it might be different from a previous version. I look forward to seeing a more complete account from Donnena or someone else, and even more to an acknowledgement, at least, that change logs need to be posted where we can read them before downloading updates. I am not, btw, cursing or screaming or calling names or threatening lawsuits, so I think I'm being reasonably patient here- especially on issues that are unnecessary to begin with. The list of items requiring patience keeps growing, though.

tsoren ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2019 at 2:29 PM

Just a thought: The developers do seem to keep a log of changes online for their ongoing development beta testing. It is past the serial number verification screen where the downloadable content is. https://www.posersoftware.com/downloads/download/s3?filename=common%2Fprotected%2Fbeta%2FTester_Notes.txt

It gives an idea of what they are working on. It mentions October 03 date as a "production release". I assume all the notes since the date of the prior release refer to the changes we will see for October 03.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2019 at 3:28 PM

I updated back on 09/19/19 but just had notice there is a newer version. After downloading I wonder if it is updated or if it is not for general public. I'd hate to install the wrong files. :) Should I install or not?

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
ย  ย  ย BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2019 at 5:45 PM

Install it. The latest update I downloaded was on 10/3/19. The downloads for the Early Adopters and Beta Testers are on the bottom of the page with the content downloads.

I'm now running 11.2.289, and that's the version I downloaded on the Oct. 3rd.

Butterfly Dezignz

Faery_Light ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2019 at 5:49 PM

Okay, installed. Thanks. :)

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
ย  ย  ย BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

druc ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 8:25 AM

I down loaded the files when Rendo kindly disabled my Poser Pro on 27 September. It took a long time to download all the files and even though I selected the option to keep my preferences it loaded in the factory default settings and I then had to spend a long time to re-add all my libraries from multiple hard drives. I downloaded the available version and I have just checked it is 11.2.224. I will be seriously peeved off if I need to download all that data again and again re-add all my libraries. I am talking many many hours when I don't have those many hours to spare. Even as it is, I am needing to spend a long time hunting for files when I re-load a project I am working on and Poser can't file the file.

ghostman ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 11:13 AM

druc posted at 6:12PM Thu, 10 October 2019 - #4366595

I down loaded the files when Rendo kindly disabled my Poser Pro on 27 September. It took a long time to download all the files and even though I selected the option to keep my preferences it loaded in the factory default settings and I then had to spend a long time to re-add all my libraries from multiple hard drives. I downloaded the available version and I have just checked it is 11.2.224. I will be seriously peeved off if I need to download all that data again and again re-add all my libraries. I am talking many many hours when I don't have those many hours to spare. Even as it is, I am needing to spend a long time hunting for files when I re-load a project I am working on and Poser can't file the file.

When downloading again, just install on top of the previous install instead of uninstalling and opt for keeping your preferences and everything should be ok

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

structure ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 8:16 PM
Forum Coordinator

druc back up your preferences folder just in case, (if you do not know how to find it, here is a handy tool) then if something happens during install - simply copy your preferences back.

Locked Out

MRBlizzard ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 9:48 PM

1.)On the Renderosity site, under our user accounts, we can see the โ€œOrdersโ€ that we have purchased. By clicking on the Order #, we can see the items in that order and, at the bottom of the page, we can see the option โ€œDownload All Purchased Filesโ€. If I select that, then I get โ€œone zipped fileโ€ containing all the files in my order.
Can I use Poser 11.2 file command โ€œInstall from Zip Archiveโ€ฆ โ€œ on the โ€œone zipped fileโ€ to install everything contained in that order. (This would certainly simplify things.) I note that sometimes my orders contain software, i.e. PzDB. (Which I couldnโ€™t get to work.) Will the Poser Installer ignore the software, like PzDB, . . . or hang?

2.)I have been collecting models for a couple of decades, and now that Iโ€™m retired, I can turn my attention to animating. In the last months, while examining Runtime structure, and various downloads, including freebees from before 2004, I came across Poser Content, .poc type. Can Poser 11.2 install these? If not, then I expect to install Poser 5 on one of my older machines. Put the old zips in and break out the file types, Geometry, Textures, etc. And manually move them into place. Should I expect that to work?

structure ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2019 at 1:14 PM
Forum Coordinator

I have never seen a .poc filetype and the only program that comes up when I research it was pocomail.

As for your other question, I think that your single zip would have to be extracted first then the poser install from archive would be used to install all of your content. If you try it on the single zip, you are likely to get an error or, a lot of zips dumped into your runtime.

Locked Out

druc ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2019 at 1:28 AM

ghostman posted at 1:23AM Sat, 12 October 2019 - #4366610

When downloading again, just install on top of the previous install instead of uninstalling and opt for keeping your preferences and everything should be ok

Thank you, I just downloaded the install and support files and did as you said and it kept my preferences and my libraries. I am yet to render anything or load a previously saved project. The version now is 11.2.307. I haven't checked the changes as per an above post and I hope I don't need to download the content files again.

Also, thank you Structure for your response.

ader ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 7:35 PM

I'm on 11.2.286 (OSX) - it just told me there's an update available. I'd like to know what the changes are before I download. How can I find that out?

structure ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2019 at 10:06 PM
Forum Coordinator

the changes are mostly bug fixes, if your poser is running fine, you can stick with it, there are no major changes at this time.

Locked Out

ader ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 3:19 AM

structure posted at 8:19AM Wed, 30 October 2019 - #4368666

the changes are mostly bug fixes, if your poser is running fine, you can stick with it, there are no major changes at this time.

jherrith ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 1:02 PM

Still upset about this wanting an internet connection anytime I restart the program or my computer. "Cannot contact server to "RENEW your LICENSE" like many others here I bought mine.

So why is it doing this still ....

Kerya ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2019 at 6:45 AM

jherrith posted at 6:44AM Sun, 10 November 2019 - #4369662

Still upset about this wanting an internet connection anytime I restart the program or my computer. "Cannot contact server to "RENEW your LICENSE" like many others here I bought mine.

So why is it doing this still ....

Did you update to the Bondware version? https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2938482

jherrith ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2019 at 8:03 AM

Yes we have long time ago, as in when it had its final release version 11.2.289

Kerya ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2019 at 8:10 AM ยท edited Sun, 10 November 2019 at 8:10 AM

OK - I am afraid officially Bondware set the phoning home "feature" to 28 days, but somebody else had it after 9 days ...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2938336

You can ask for a longer period somewhere, I think it is here:

https://support.posersoftware.com/portal/home

Good luck!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.