Sat, Sep 21, 6:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: an idea of my own. let me know what ya think

edarsenal ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 12:22 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 12:22 PM

here's one of my own. now, a big complaint is that when posting an image on the galleries, it is quickly buried. what if....? we supply a gallery that, with a monthly donation, or perhaps a block of say 3 monthes donation, a member could post work there. it would be open to all to see and comment on, but only those who make a donation would be allowed to post there. it could be somewhere around 10-20 bucks. and then for the block of 3, take off $10 of the amount if done individually. thus, we supply a need of the community as well as support the site at the same time. whaddya think, people?

3DSprite ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 6:18 AM

The most complaints I get from members here are..... "I just posted a picture in the gallery and after only an hour it's on page 3!!!" "Some jerk just posted a whole bunch of WIPS in the gallery displacing everyones work!!" "My Artwork doesn't get enough exposure here, this is rediculous!! I post it and I am lucky to get any comments at all because it gets buried so fast folks don't even see it!!!" "I am sick of getting flames under my picture!! Can you remove it??" "Someone planted a booger on my pic, can you get rid of it?" "Too much garbage in the galleries that is making my work look bad, can't you folks do something??" "You folks should really consider limiting the amount someone can post in the galleries!! I am sick of some jerk posting a bunch of pics at a time and displacing mine and everyone elses!!" "Why do so many people come here and post so many low quality pics?? Makes the folks that take their time and post only one pic look bad, and no one can see the good stuff cause it's buried by the crap!!!" "We need a special gallery for quality images where Artists can maybe post one pic a day, or even a week, make it a membership gallery; then folks will at least take more time to create quality and their work will get the exposure that it deserves for a long enough time period. Please consider this option??" The last one is a comment summary of something that I have been getting a LOT lately, and frankly I think it's an AWSOME idea!! Why not have a special gallery. Why not provide a "gold membership" package or something, where the member gets to post one pic a day or a week in a special gallery and perhaps also give these gold members a discount to certain items or something?? I think folks would welcome this, knowing the frustrations of everyone with our HIGH TRAFFIC GALLERIES I think everyone would welcome a way to get their work some viewers?? What do you think?? People, now is your chance to talk about this ;-) 3D

3DSprite ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 7:00 AM

....the quotes in my post above are direct quotes from a variety of many e-mails I have recieved about this subject. Perhaps they are a bit harsh in their wording but it shows just how frustrated members are about the gallery situation. We do understand, and this would be one solution ;-)

X-perimentalman ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 7:44 AM

works for me..s... go for it

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 8:38 AM

Not a bad idea at all! I'd recommend having three separate (sp?) galleries: General Gallery - anyone can post here, comments, ratings enabled at the poster's option, but only for "finished" works. Premium Gallery - as listed above, but with no ratings, only comments, and these enabled at the poster's option. WIP Gallery - for Works In Progress, with comments ALWAYS enabled (that is kind of the point of posting a WIP, after all!), and ratings optional.

edarsenal ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 11:28 AM

i am totally sorry allie. i had no idea you and i were on the same wave length on this one! i do apologize, i must not have seen it ;( well, folks, this idea of allie's and mine is up for critique. whaddya think? yea, nay? ed

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 11:32 AM

Oh, if it was ALLIE'S idea first then no, it's silly... ;-) Just kidding; I still approve! :-)

3DSprite ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 3:50 PM

Sorry Allie, I actually do remember seeing your thread bringing this topic up. Slipped my mind too.....till now. EVERYONE.....it's Allerlieruh's idea, and a GREAT one too!!! Thank you Allie ;-) Anyways, what also will have to be discussed, if this was to be so, is whether a Gallery like this, (and I think ONE gallery is quite sufficient Charlie), would even have a rating option/comment option, and another VERY important thing......because folks would be paying to have their good work displayed here it would be an absolute MUST that we have a moderator on the ball in this gallery at all times for flames/bad comments, etc. I also think that a Gallery like this would be a good thing for Renderotica as well, (wow, that makes two galleries Charlie). One more thing for you folks that always think that with everything that becomes pay we LOSE stuff....NO, NO, NO, it won't happen!! The main galleries will ALWAYS be there and they will ALWAYS remain FREE!!! Now,....back to you folks???

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 7:47 PM

heyas; i distinctly remember allie being ignored when she mentioned this. :) poor allie. just one... not a complaint, but just something to make you say 'hmmmm...' what if so many people subscribe to the special gallery that images get buried within 1-2 days by other subscribers? :) well... hey, we could auction off the front page. have your image plastered on the front page of the site for one month. but you gotta be high bidder for the month. i dunno, being on a magazine cover is prestigious, that's kinda like a magazine cover. ('course i never come in via the front page....) naah, that's a silly idea.

DTHUREGRIF ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 8:02 PM

I do remember this idea and I thought it was a good one, Allie. Just didn't have time to comment on it. My only concern is that people who can't afford it (like bonestructure), but are nonetheless serious artists, will still be relegated to being buried in the regular gallery. How about we feature the artist of the month or an image of the month on the first page of the gallery and draw from the whole site? That at least would give people who can't afford to buy space a chance to get in once in a while. This gallery would be a great way for people to expose their portfolios to 16,000 members. Thanks for the great idea, Allie. Oh, all right. You, too, Ed!

3DSprite ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 8:46 PM

We didn't mean to ignore Allie. There was a lot of heat going on about the store and the last thing we wanted to start was another possible potential for making money, that's why her idea was hesitated. There was already enough anger about the store at that time. As for folks like bonestructure, I will gladly forfeit my spot for a day or a week so that he can post a pick, knowing the situation he is in, that would be my contribution. If there are folks like bonestructure at the forum who are well known and talented but truly cannot afford to donate to have their work put in this gallery, I am sure we can come up with alternative methods like what I have just stated. Like I said, for bone, I will forfeit my place every once in a while so that he has a place to post, until such a time that he can get on his feet. No offense bone, I mean well okay ;-) Diane, we already have enough contests and stuff like that going on, we really do need a specialty gallery on BOTH sites, I too have brought it up before many times in private and not just for donations but to help with all the frustrations of having a two lane gallery trafficked by eight lanes of members posting. Everyone is dying to have their work seen for more than an hour and this can be a solution. Now we finally MAY have the members blessing to go with it and make it work. If you post another message as to why we should take another route I will just give you another answer as to why it will work, hehehe :-0 One more thing about this gallery.... Rules would have to be applied also,....like for example.... NO WIPS ;-)

Harrison2 ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 9:14 PM

I love this idea and you can count me in........no wips?........how about pinkgreen#1, pinkgreen#2....... :)) H2

3DSprite ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 10:06 PM

Hehehehehe ;-)

DTHUREGRIF ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 10:11 PM

Sprite, I wasn't in any way implying it wouldn't work. I was just trying to offer some kind of solution for those who can't afford it, but whose work deserves the exposure. I THINK THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!! So there. :-P

Darth_Logice ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2000 at 11:05 PM

I'm in, though my stuff is not good enough to go into a pay gallery...I'd just be spamming, which would defeat half the intent, I think. How about a ghetto gallery for lame-asses like myself who want to buy space but don't want to clutter the real artists that also spent money? -Darth_Logice

Geekholder ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2000 at 12:09 AM

I like the idea of a premium gallery. I think it would be a great thing. You could also use it for prizes for future contests: award a certain number of postings to the premium gallery. I would recommend making the cost based on the number of images to post, rather than for a certain length of time. This should reduce the burstiness of posting of images, by removing the temptation to buy a month and "make it count", making it more likely for people's images to stay on the front page for a while.

3DSprite ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2000 at 12:32 AM

Darth, stop being hard on yourself, your stuff is fine!! WE are not going to limit it to Leonardo Da Vinci's and Van Goh's?? This would be a special gallery for everyone to put some of there best work, you included if you will make it so. Diane.....naaawww to you too, hehehehe ;-)

ratta ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2000 at 3:37 AM

Hmmm, I'd like to see Van Gogh's texture maps. --ratta

wal ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2000 at 7:06 AM

Ed (and Allie!!!): That sounds like a good idea. But it has to be planned carefully! For example think of people who post the same images in both galleries, just for being sure nobody will miss it. Second, our community could be split into "Lamers" who fill up the "regular" Gallery with lots of "rubbish" and don't even pay for it - and "Real Artists" who are better than anyone else but have to pay for entering the "premium" Gallery. - wal

ARADTech ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2000 at 7:56 PM

pouts it was my idea. I posted it to the admin forum before this forum existed..but you can have it Allie. Heheh. Chris

nandus ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2000 at 9:05 AM

Allie, that is an excellent idea that should be implemented as soon as possible. I also liked Geek's suggestion of pay-per-image per period. Nandus

nandus ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2000 at 9:06 AM

Allie, that is an excellent idea that should be implemented as soon as possible. I also liked Geek's suggestion of pay-per-image per period. Nandus

Lestat ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2000 at 4:04 PM

Um............one more time real slow for those of us that abused our brains over the three day weekend here in the states. We are basically going to a pay site? That is pay or you can't post? Or is it just a pay gallery for those who feel their work should have a place for posterity and are willing to pay for it? If it is the second choice that is fine. It might sort out the snooty ones and let the rest of us play nice with each other. If it is the first one I think its a bad idea. I still think we should have a WIP gallery and it would take some of the traffic away from the regular gallery. I think only about two of mine would make it into the regular gallery if there was a WIP. The forum was a nice start but people don't go to the forums as much as they do the galleries. Anyway, whatever you do is what you will do but that was my two cents. Recap: All pay site = bad Need WIP gallery Paste tastes better with crackers.

edarsenal ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2000 at 11:08 PM

geekholder, that is a great idea about paying per image. gimme a little time to check into the coding end to see if that is a possibility. i like that point very much. hey lestat, whu's up! it would be a seperate gallery, where, with a donation to r'osity, a person could upload images to it. it would be seen by all and everyone would be able to comment on the images posted there. as for WIP's the BEST spot for them is on the Forums themselves. :) when you start a thread there is an option to include an image. what better place for imput then in the forum sections, eh? ;) i mean, the space for comments and all out discussions on it is, well.... pretty huge. the forums are perfect for WIP's. now, for the one's like bone who would like to have images there, but cannot afford it, i'm sure we can set it up where you can place the specified donation and make it a gift to someone else. hell, i could slap in a donation and say i what to give it to sprite3D or whomever. any other concerns or suggestions for fine tuning this one? if not, we will try to figure out the coding needed to set up a password entry, and if possible, do it on both a time space or per image. of course the time space would have a restriction of say one a day only. and if it DID come to be huge and overly busy, we could add a section gallery to the list, and not allow double posting of a the same image in both Donation Galleries and only one post per day and not one per gallery. did i miss anything?

ChaosArchangel ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2000 at 3:14 AM

I am for the idea !!!!

Lestat ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2000 at 7:55 AM

Allie, You are worse than me. Leave me alone long enough with a solution and I will find the problem. =^) You are correct. Granted, the pay gallery would be a tad smaller and you wouldn't have to go 30 pages deep to get to what you missed over the weekend, but it still in no way could guarantee everyone front page status. Hmmmmmmm. Ed, 'sup blood? Yeah, I know the forums "work" but I think an actual separation of the galleries into finished and WIP might cut down on the overload of images in the gallery. I know I would cruise the WIP more frequently and hit the finished on the weekends from home so I have time to enjoy them. Of course there are problems with this, like criteria, keeping WIP off the finished, and other administrative hemmorhoids. But I'm not an admin so that doesn't bother me at all. ;^)

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2000 at 12:00 PM

Instead of showing the image thumbnails themselves on the front page, why not just list the artists' names, giving each one their own personal "front page?" You click on the artist's name and it takes you to a page of thumbnails. It wouldn't be that difficult to do since there is already something similar in place (view all images by this artist). Kate

edarsenal ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2000 at 3:40 PM

that's not too slim shady of an idea, kate. like i've said before, i'm not a programmer and would have to see what that would entail. it may be kinda tricky to do. what with all the links used on a person's login name and so forth. but worth checking out. ed

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.