Fri, Oct 4, 10:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Modelling in Layers Scheme

loganarts ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 9:20 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 10:18 PM

Attached Link: http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=553

Hello modelers, Some time ago i posted a modelling method at spiraloid forums and i think you guys may like it. Im gonna post the link to it first and if you want i can re-post the entire text and pica here too.. I studied a looot of wires and facial behavior(with the help of my table mirror) and came up with a step by step process for facial modeling: 1 - bone loops 2 - muscle loops 3 - fat loops 4 - character loops (or personal skin folds) modeling that way i could easily understand my mesh and have it under control during the whole process. lemme know what u guys think of it ok? cheers loggie

Moebius87 ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 10:19 AM

Heyas Loggie! Thanks for your email and for coming to the rescue of the forum. Still in between jobs right now (which explains my absence here), but you know what they say about bad weeds hard to get rid of them. :o) This is an awesome link (seen it before, but forgot all about it)... must be getting old. If you can find the time, it would be good if you can repost it all here on Renderosity just so it's all under one "roof". I know how busy you are, so whenever you can is good. :o) Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter
"If you don't mind, then it don't matter."

BazC ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 2:11 PM

Hiya Loganarts! I read this when you posted it on Spiraloid. A very interesting read! I can't say that I've attempted to put it into practice yet, still trying to figure out the basics LOL! It would be great if you could repost it here, especially if you have the time to discuss it a bit. Moe, how about a challenge at some time using Loggies technique? It would be a great way to understand the ideas better and maybe Loganarts could find the time to critisize our efforts? Cheers - Baz

loganarts ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 2:27 PM

Heyas Baz, Great idea man... i can put available a separated mesh for each step online for you guys if you like and ill be around here all the time now.... I am also doin a lot of Z-BRUSHing latelly so im gonna be posting some stuff of it as well and how to use a default modeler+zbrush (great team)... Lets go with the challenge or even a mini-session between us anytime... As soon as i get home from work im gonna post the spiraloid text in here.. Cheers mates Loggie

BazC ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 2:40 PM

Sounds great Loggie! I'd be interested in the Z-Brush stuff too. I've been considering Z-Brush as a companion to Wings, Wings isn't good with high density meshes, at least on my computer :o) I figured they'd make a good team, I'm still trying to get a decent download of the Z-Brush demo though :o) Are you still using Wings and Messiah? Haven't seen you around the Wings forums for a while. Cheers - Baz

Poppi ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 4:42 PM

very cool stuff. i know it can help me to learn, anyway. thank you.

loganarts ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 5:41 PM

file_62711.jpg

Hello sculpters, I been thinking a lot latelly about structures and organized process of sculpting. Also in the relationship between the flesh and the polygons.... technically speaking this is the subject to be translated in polygons:

loganarts ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 5:42 PM

file_62712.jpg

Of course this is just a part of the subject. We can see here bones and muscles. MUscles i used to see a lot in all meshes i studied. but not bones... or fat... or personal marks.... The first time i saw something near those structures was in a PETER SYOMKA model (anna) In his maya mesh he had muscles loops... but also some bone structures and fat and personal skin folds from that particular person(anna) And trying to understand what he did in there i came up with a simple sequence of modeling: 1 - bone structure or loops - where i build all the main bone structures where the muscles and the fat will be standing 2 - muscle loops - where i build the motion structure of the mesh 3 - fat loops - all the fat that lies over the mesh and under the skin 4 - character loops(or skin folds)this is the funniest part to me. its where i break the loops the most and add lots of peculiarities to the character.. unique for each one. i tried a while back to build a character following that sequence to see if it was workin. i came up with this WIPS(never finished it):

loganarts ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 5:43 PM

file_62713.jpg

loganarts ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 5:43 PM

file_62714.jpg

loganarts ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2003 at 5:44 PM

file_62715.jpg

What i did was deconstruct a mesh into sections and organize the building process.... Im pretty sure all folks here use this scheme ( my good friend ZYTROX was doing the same thing in his models when i first talked to him about it) but i just wanted to share my personal notes about it. The good thing about this method is, i believe, to have all the mesh under control. I go building bones muscles etc in every section of the model pretty much like Mental Ray renders... so i take the arm and go from bones to character loops at once, then i move to the chest and so forth. Also having a bone structure done for example i can picture the final result much more clearly than just a volume model... Anyways, this is just a try to put things together in my mind so any other notes about this will be extra important to me. thanks a lot for reading this artists, loggie

BazC ( ) posted Sun, 15 June 2003 at 9:16 AM

You kow I think you're right, I kinda work like this already but thinking about it in these terms might help to get the mesh organised in my head. I need to study this a bit more and I'll be back with some questions :o) It'would be great if we could download the meshes! Cheers - Baz

illicit ( ) posted Mon, 16 June 2003 at 11:08 AM

You freekin rock loggie!! I need to give this a try...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.