Tue, Oct 22, 3:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:57 pm)

Subject: Question about the market for DAZ studio ( Not a Joke)

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:04 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:57 PM

As a person who already renders poser figures in a high-end open GL, batch processing true radiosity capable programthat opens Pz3 directly,it occurs to me that I have NO need for Daz studio. Just wondering how many users here already have viable alternative render solutions (Carrara,vue etc)??

My website

YouTube Channel

MallenLane ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:09 AM

Do you rig your figures in Cinema or LW?

Spit ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:11 AM

I don't see why the market is limited to those who don't have/use another renderer. Think of everything you actually do inside Poser. Eventually, hopefully, you'll be able to do the same in D/S.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:26 AM

I don't have another renderer. At the moment I'm using P4PP and the posts about the problems with P5 put me right off even considering it. I really don't want to get into all the issues involved with using Poser content inside another application, I just want something that will give me good results with the minimum of headaches. I'm hoping DAZ studio will eventually provide the functionality of P4 and a relatively straightforward upgrade path to give the features found in upmarket renderers. Improved file handling and better lighting/rendering facilities are what I'm hoping for.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

sirkrite ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:31 AM

I have Poser4, Poser5, Vue4 and Bryce4. I really have no use for Daz/Studio.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:39 AM

Depends what it does, how well. I use both Painter and PS, and have had other (cheapo) editors in the past. I bought Illustrator as part of the bundle when I got PS and quickly came to prefer it to Freehand, though I still use the latter for some things. For that matter, I have Vue but still buy many of the RDNA MicroCosm packs. There are many reasons for using two or more similar applications, and for switching, so until we see what D|S amounts to, and what the plugins do and how, assessing its place in the market seems premature. With luck we will fairly soon be able to form our first impressions.

WaxTextures ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:53 AM

My own thoughts kind of ramble along these lines - Poser 4 - old technology and old code, a 'fat' program, no resource management; Poser 5 - new technology and code added on top of old technology and code, nice 'ideas' for materials and hair, etc, but poorly executed in the extreme; Daz Studio - written from the ground up, resource management, etc. Is it gonna be the best thing since sliced bread? Dunno, but it's worth a peek. One of the major reason that MS Word even got their toe in the door of the Word Processing world (for better or for worse) is that the first Windows version of WordPerfect (who had over 85% of the market share at that time) was the most awful port of a DOS program to Windows ever seen and did not integrate well with Windows-based apps. Vis-a-Vis Poser and Daz Studio, it could be "deja vu all over again". Same door, different toe :) -Nancy.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 9:58 AM

wolf359,

Have you considered that you might be able to make minor changes to your scene and then render it to check it out without the need to switch programs? ;=?

If you are like me and do alot of test renders, it could save you alot of time, no?

Just a thought. ;=]

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

sirkrite ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 10:10 AM

geep, but can you save to a PZ3 so you can have a painless import into Vue?

Jackson ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 10:39 AM

I have Vue and Cararra but still look forward to DS because I want a program that does what Poser does only better, faster, and more efficiently. I have MUCH for faith in DAZ giving me that than CL.

Djeser ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 10:47 AM

Nothing wrong with having another tool handy. I have Poser 4, Poser 5 (never installed it after reading about all the problems), Vue, Bryce 4 & 5, Mojoworld. I use the Poser + Vue combination about 95% of the time. But if DAZ Studio has good resource management and file handling, I see no reason why I wouldn't give it a whirl.

Sgiathalaich

sirkrite ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 10:55 AM

"never installed it after reading about all the problems" Well since they fixed the bugs, why don't you try installing it and downloading the patch so you can see how well it works.

Aeneas ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 10:57 AM

My idea: 1/ taking into account the quality of their V3 etc products, and knowing how many, many meshes (figures, props) there are in my Poser5 that I will never ever use and hoping DazStudio will be empty and ready to host V3 etc ; 2/in the knowledge that OpenGL has got nothing to do whatsoever with rendering (the task of the processor) but with fast redraw of the working space/meshes while you are working, and is implemented in DazStudio but not in Poser5, I will most certainly download it and evt even buy it if Daz are so clever as to make it available online on their site. And if the price is reasonable. And I do have C4D8 with AdvancedRenderer and Bodypaint2. Which I will use for final renders.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:02 AM

The response 'I have no use for DAZ|Studio' is a bit misleading. I'm sure a lot of people imagine they have no use for D|S, but the question is 'Will they get it anyway because it's free?' And having got it, (assuming the bloody thing works), will they perhaps decide that it's worth getting a module or two 'just to try'. You see, a new app may not interest a certain sector of poser users... but a new FREE app might just be a different story. That aside, I practically NEVER render anything, other than test renders. But I'm keen to see D|S, because I have a fair idea that rendering is going to be the least of it's capabilities. If, just for starters, it's a windows-based interface that runs poser figures without crashing, I'm already happy. Add to that the fact that rendering (for me) is about 1% of my poser activities, and I can see a lot of possibilites on the horizon. I'm not 'Utah Dreaming' yet. Just interested in competition from a trustworthy source. mac

Caly ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:03 AM

I'm a Mac user. I have both Vue & Bryce, Photoshop & Painter... you just never know. Each tool has its own 'specialty' if you will. I only use Poser 4 right now. I'm hoping that Daz will give a clean decently sized program with modern technology and look forward to the openGL etc. I do a ton of test renders and they're godawful slow. If I can preview things realtime, that's enough for me to buy Studio. :D And I don't usually feel the need to render elsewhere. The image will probably be postworked, so it's no loss.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:04 AM

PS The mere fact that it has an Open GL preview that shows transmaps is a major step up from poser. mac

sirkrite ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:15 AM

Read there page on DAZ/Studio. Only the Beta will be free, once they go to 1.0 you'll have to pay for that.

c1rcle ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:27 AM

I have poser 1/2/3/4/5 Vue4 & Bryce5 but I still want D/S, there's no such thing as too many renderers ;)

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:33 AM

'Only the Beta will be free' Yep. But the beta will render and save, so at least we get to try it without selling a kidney. And if a (for example) D|S to Bryce plug-in costs $20, how useful would that be to many people? So the deal is, try it free. You get to keep it. When the plug-in you want comes out, weigh up the cost/benefits and decide. That's the advantage of modularity. mac

xoconostle ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:44 AM

I frequently export Poser figures, props, and scenes to Vue d'Esprit, but can't wait to be able to try the same in D/S. Variety is a good thing, and although I wouldn't know, I'm guessing that the price of a reasonably robust version of Studio will be roughly in the Vue/Poser range, rather than with the much more expensive apps, so to my mind it will be worth it to have another tool handy.

lhiannan ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:45 AM

More tools in the tool box couldn't possibly be a bad thing. I eagerly await D|S's release.

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:46 AM

Ditto Maclean. When I use Poser for serious purposes, it's always to create an animation that shows things clearly, not beautifully. Rendering ability is absolutely unimportant; easy modifications of placement and movement are critical. If the core of D|S is faster and easier to handle, I'll switch in a millisecond.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:50 AM

"Do you rig your figures in Cinema or LW?" NO I animate in poser and import the animated figure Via the propack plugin, a thorough previsualization in poser prevents me from having to make changes after the PZ3 is imported into C4DXL. In Cinema I have acess to open GL previews,batch rendering SLA procedural textures ,particle and liquid simulation,UNLIMITED UNDO'S explosion effects, removal of unused textures a world class polygon modeling modeling toolset with hypernurbs unlimited number of cameras,lights and of course GI and radosity I can also do region render as in drawing a marquee on any portion of the scene and just rendering that portion.. SO overall I personally dont need DAZ studio.

My website

YouTube Channel

cooler ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 11:58 AM

sirkrite... "Read there page on DAZ/Studio. Only the Beta will be free, once they go to 1.0 you'll have to pay for that." Where on the DAZ Studio page does it say that?

sirkrite ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:11 PM

"Prior to the release of DAZ|Studio 1.0, the base version will be made available as a free beta for an undetermined period of time until it is solid." Why cooler, it's right on the top of the page. Need new glasses?

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:26 PM

file_73935.jpg

I agree 100% with Dr. Geep, lets say you wanted to do a render like the above, using my little mirror, which happens to have dials to adjust the angle of the wing mirrors. As the reflections don't show in Poser 4, and Poser 5 takes a rather long tome to do a low-res raytraced render, DAZ Studio might be a real time saver. It took me about 6-10 tried to get this exactly right, BTW. Bryce and other rendering-only engines need not apply for this job! I'm under the impression that DAZ Studio's basic package is going to be free forever, I think there was talk about selling advanved versions, though. That is how I remember it, anyway.

cooler ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:27 PM

sirkrite, Sorry but I still don't see anywhere on the page where DAZ states there will be a charge for DAZ Studio 1.0. Perhaps the problem isn't in the strength of my prescription glasses, but rather one of your faulty interpretation.

Momcat ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:33 PM

bookmark

sirkrite ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:38 PM

And it doesn't say anywhere that they are giving the 1.0 away for free. Just the beta until it is solid.

SKondris ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com

Though DAZ|Studio will not end world hunger, nor cure any form of cancer, (as far as I'm aware) it will definitely be free. How long it remains free will be decided by our customers. As long as the support of DAZ content continues to grow, then DAZ|Studio will continue to grow (for free) as well. We would like to keep the base app available for free as long as is possible. Of course there will be certain add-on modules released apart from the base that will most likely not be for free. However, we hope that the ability to pick and choose which enhancements a customer buys will be seen as an advantage. There are many items that one user will desire that another may not. Why be forced to pay more for items you don't want?

Another reason for DAZ|Studio being a positive addition to the market is that not everyone has the money for higher priced app's, like Cinema4D as Wolf359 apparently did. ;) It is true that the Poser market continues to keep it's price bubble from bursting into the prices of most of 3D content markets, and we at DAZ want to do our part to make our content accessible to as many people as possible.

Boy, all this talk about Studio which doesn't even have a public release date yet. We do hope that you all will be happy with it once it does arrive, but please keep in mind how simple the initial releases will be and that it will take many months for the additional plugins and modules that many of you hope will be available within weeks of the core app. Consider this your fair warning that though we have some cool things in store for the beta release, everything on our information page is accurate and unfortunately the "Make Great Art" button didn't make that list last I checked. :p

Take care,

Steve Kondris
DAZ Productions, Inc.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:43 PM

Steve and/or Dan have said here that the base will continue to be free as long as the plugins sell well enough to cover costs (and I'd expect they might even absorb small losses for the sake of brand promotion, since models are their mainstay - but that isn't supported by evidence).

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:45 PM

Cross-posted with Steve.

sirkrite ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:48 PM

Glad you cleared that up Steve. :) The way the page is worded appears that it would only be free until it went to 1.0. "unfortunately the "Make Great Art" button didn't make that list last I checked. :p" LOL! That will cost you! That's what most of them were looking for. ;D

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 12:54 PM

thank you Steve for the heads up for the ppl here. I to saw that line about the beta being free blah blah, but decided to wait until you or someone from Daz wanted to clarify the questions. as for do we need D/S? some will some won't. those that do, will use. those that don't, won't. I don't need 3dMax. so I don't use it.. simple huh? Kai

xoconostle ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 2:21 PM

Thanks for the clarity, Steve. Much appreciated! It's not easy, but I for one promise to be patient. :-)

geep ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 2:33 PM

I'll be patient, too ...
(but, I really want it now)
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

JVRenderer ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 2:58 PM

I wanted it yesterday

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 3:22 PM

"I wanted it yesterday" More patience, Grasshopper. I wanted the f***ing thing 6 months ago. :)

My Store

My Gallery

geep ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 4:18 PM

Oh YEAH!
Well I wanted it 8 months ago.
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 4:31 PM

I wanted it when it was just a twinkle in DAZ's eye. So there! mac

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 5:25 PM

I wanted it before computers were invented. :P

My Store

My Gallery

geep ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 6:11 PM

Stone carvings ..................... anyone? ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Caly ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 6:13 PM

I wanted it before the Big Bang. ;)

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

geep ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 6:31 PM

I wanted it B4 the Big Bang's .......... fuze was lit! ;=] Actually, I only wanted it before time was invented. BTW - Does anyone know why time WAS invented???

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 6:41 PM

'Does anyone know why time WAS invented???' Oh, that's an easy one. To make sure women are late for everything. mac

geep ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 6:44 PM

Uh oh, I'm not gonna touch that one even with a 10.5PNU pole, ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

JVRenderer ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 6:51 PM

Uh oh, I see a locked thread... in the future ;D

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

geep ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 6:58 PM

Now where, per chance, could that be? ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 7:11 PM

Locked thread? Wheeeeee! Hello mom! :D

My Store

My Gallery

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 7:36 PM

"Another reason for DAZ|Studio being a positive addition to the market is that not everyone has the money for higher priced app's, like Cinema4D as Wolf359 apparently did. ;) It is true that the Poser market continues to keep it's price bubble from bursting into the prices of most of 3D content markets, and we at DAZ want to do our part to make our content accessible to as many people as possible." Well if you accept that the great majority of poser users will Download the free D/S basic pose figures and render still images then wheres the market for the paid version??? I ask because I spend alot of time in professional web forums for lightwave and cinema4DXl and those people want NOTHING to do with PZ3's or millenium figures for animation etc. and as far as us "12 animators" who animate in poser and render in C4D,LW or MAX, our next generation of plugins for poser import will ikely come from Reiss studio so if and when the $$paid version$$DAZ studio has Lightwave and MAX export why will we need to buy it??? I understand that Daz studio will provide an outlet to sell DAZ content but i really fail to see any Market potential for GROWTH OUTSIDE the existing base of poser users who already buy DAZ content.

My website

YouTube Channel

Momcat ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 7:58 PM

It may not attract existing high end application users, but it probabley will attract people who may not have thought about trying 3D art in the past because it is so costly. What it will do is attract more and more people to expand into 3D art. That's the whole point of it being "Tellware". It's a great marketing strategy. I, an existing Poser user, create a 3D image with a free application, that has the same attributes as an image created with a high end application. I am so excited about this program, that I tell everyone about it...and the best part as far as everyone is concerned? It's FREE! This makes 3D a more attractive medium because it is easily accessable to everyone. There will be some folks who don't care for it, but there will, hopefully, be even more that do. Getting your 3D feet wet with a free app is much more appealing than shelling out several hundred dollars just to see if you like it. If they do like it, they may want to improve their skills, or try new effects that would be available as plugins. It also takes a bite out of the learning curve to be able to purchase and learn one module at a time. It may also have a more user friendly interface. I'm REALLY hoping for that. I'm very intrigued by the realtime previews. I have Bryce 5. I bought it because I loved the images I saw created with it. I could see what kind of quality was possible. I hardly ever use it. I think I've created 2 images with it in the past 2 years. Why? Because I can't work blind. I need to be able to see what I am doing. You can't do that in Bryce OR Vue. AFAIK, you can't do that in most 3D applications. Can you do that in the high end apps? Can you see the results of your work as you do it?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.