Sat, Sep 21, 9:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: 2007 "Fractal Universe" Calendar Choices

gumbykat ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 12:33 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:31 AM

Attached Link: http://www.allisonart.com/FC2007.html

Avalanche Publishing has chosen these 13 images to appear in their 2007 "Fractal Universe" calendar! You can view them at: http://www.allisonart.com/FC2007.html Our thanks to all 67 of the talented artists who participated by submitting 604 images! Please join with us in congratulating the fractal artists whose images were selected: Anna Laurie, Ulrike Freysted, Gissell Escuder, Donna Casey, Lori Basile and Mary Thornton! Panny Brawley and Linda Allison

tdierikx ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 4:44 PM

67 artists submitted works - 13 works chosen - 6 of those chosen works are by the people making the calendar (Panny Brawley and Linda Allison) - leaves only 7 works chosen from other artists... Doesn't really seem to be fair. Congratulations to those other artists that DID get selected - very nice work people! T.

Who? Me?

gumbykat ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 5:31 PM

I know the fractal artists see this as a contest, but it's not. Avalanche Publishing is in it for the profit, period. It is a commercial venture for them, and they make the final choices. I want them to limit themselves to not more than one image per artist, so that there are 13 different artists represented in the calendar. They want to be free to chose the images that they think will profit them the most. Sometimes their biggest client, Barnes & Nobles as I understand it, makes some demands, too. So every year I settle for requesting that they not take more than 3 images from any one artist. That is, however, only a request. If we were paying the costs for the calendars, and marketing them ourselves, we could set limits. But we aren't and we can't. I do have to say that every year this comes up and every year I'm tempted to tell Avalanche that we won't be doing any more fractal calendars. I don't need the hassle. The process is very time consuming, and the only reason I do it is because I see it as a chance for some of the artists to see their work published. Otherwise, I'd contract with Avalanche to make a calendar with my 13 images, alone. I'm only speaking for myself here. Apologies to Panny if I've embarrassed her. You're a sweetie, Panny, and I really enjoy working with you! Linda

ulliroyal ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 5:44 PM

What a cool marketing. Congrats Ladies and a honorable mention for Julia!

ufrey ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 6:35 PM

Und weil mein Englisch so miserabel ist und ich dem ersetzungsprogramm nicht wirklich traue, diesmal in deutscher und in englischer Sprache, dann kann sich jeder raussuchen was passt g.

Wer sich auf den Internetseiten vom Fractal Forum und von Avalanche Publishing umschaut kann IMHO sehr schnell sehen dass a) Panny und Linda sehr offen mit Ihrem Vorrecht auf je 1 Verfentlichung als Ausgleich f die Arbeiten mit der Vorauswahl umgehen und b) dass Avalanche Publishing ein kommerzielles Unternehmen ist. Ebenso ist den Seiten zu entnehmen dass die letzendliche Entscheidung bei Avalanche Publishing liegt und nicht bei Panny und Linda.

Jeder der mit seinen Grafiken an der Auswahl teilgenommen hat konnte um diese Punkte wissen.

Ich habe es btw nicht als Wettbewerb gesehen sondern als Mlichkeit einfach mal mitzumachen und ganz vielleicht als eine Chance eines meiner Fraktale zu verfentlichen. Wobei ich nicht wirklich daran geglaubt habe auch nur in die engere Auswahl zu kommen ...

Umso erraschter war ich er die Nachricht dass eines meiner Fraktale tatshlich f den Kalender ausgewlt wurde. Und jetzt sitze ich hier, bin stolz wie sonst etwas und habe keine Ahnung wo ich mich hinfreuen soll :-).

Meine Glkwsche gehen natlich auch an die anderen Fraktal-Kstler :-).

Panny und Linda: Danke f euer Engagement und die Arbeit die ihr investiert ... you both made my day and my week :-) :-) :-)

Ulrike

Who look on the Internet sides of the Fractal forum and of Avalanche Publishing can IMHO very fast see itself that A) Panny and Linda are very openly with their privilege on ever 1 publication as reconciliation for the work with preselection to deal and b) that Avalanche Publishing is a commercial enterprise. Likewise is the sides to infer that the final decision with Avalanche Publishing lies and not with Panny and Linda.

Everyone who participated in the selection with their fractals could know about these points.

I saw it by the way not as competition but as a possibility simply times to go through and as a chance one of my fractals perhaps could be published. Whereby I did not really believe to come into the closer selection ...

The more surprised I was over the message that one of my fractals was actually selected for the calendar. And now I sit here, am proudly as usual somewhat and don't have notion where I am pleased :-).

My congratulations go naturally also to the others fractal artists :-).

Panny and Linda: Thanks for your commitment and the work ... you both made my day and my week :-).

Ulrike

tdierikx ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 7:08 PM

I do not mean to take anything away from Panny and Linda having more of their works in the calendar than other people's - both of them are exeptional artists and do deserve inclusion. Even though the final selection process is not necessarily up to Panny or Linda, it just looks kinda funky when 6 of the 13 images in the 2007 calendar are theirs... and the submission website infers that they are responsible for making the ultimate selections of which images get sent to the publishers for the final selections. Personally, I'd have liked to see more different forms of fractals represented in the calendar... the ones chosen all look like they've been created solely in UF... and they all look very similar in style to each other. Sure, that means some continuity of a theme - but I'd still like to see maybe a few Apophysis or XenoDream type fractals represented... maybe for the 2008 calendar eh? T.

Who? Me?

malia01us ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 8:18 PM

I was shocked & thrilled to see two of my fractals selected for the calendar!!!! Congrats to everyone and thanks to Linda & Panny for their hard work & time in assisting the publisher with this calendar. Donna

Pannyhb ( ) posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 9:22 PM

Well, I'm going to jump in. This was my first year as "co-editor" (and let me tell you all, Linda helped me every step of the way, and I am eternally grateful)... The process was fun, but Linda is right - it is VERY time consuming. We received over 600 images. We bent over backward to include a great variety of images that met the submission requirements - the rule of thumb was to submit at least one image from each and every fractal artist that sent in an eligible fractal. This includes flames, XD images, and images from many different fractal programs. We wanted the pubisher to see as many different types of styles and fractal generators as possible. But as Linda told me over and over, "they choose what they choose" :) Our personal images were sent in addition to the over 200 requested by the publisher for making their selections. I was as shocked as anybody that Avalanche took two of mine. If it were up to me, I'd have only chosen the "one" that we are allowed for editing the calendar. Thanks to all the people who have thanked Linda and me for the work we did this year. The whole goal is to allow fractals to be seen by as many people as possible:) This year's submissions were outstanding. I'll guarantee that the printing will sell out, as it has in the past several years. I'm game to do this again next year. I'm thrilled that so many quality artists participated:), and working with Linda was a real treat. For those that do not know her, Linda is a real class act. I'm also thrilled for those artists whose submissions were chosen. And I hope that as many or more of you submit images again next year, if Avalanche decides to do another calendar!!!! Panny

Fractelaar ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 3:07 AM

Its a nice selection of fractal art but so as usual for more then 70 % UF althouhgts that ,s my idea and so as I already said under one of my Rendo images "There is so much more" :-) Congrats to anybody that has a choosen picture inside Can understand that it is a hell of a job to make this choiches greatz Arend

Deagol ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 11:04 AM

I think that this has already been said but let me say again that the publishing company pays for the images that they put in the calendar. They are not concerned about being fair to software or fractal types. Although you can still try, I think it is very unlikely they will pay for an image that doesn't fit in the same mold they have been using over the years, no matter how amazing your flames might be. My advice for next year is don't bother to try to revolutionize the publishing company. Look at what they like and mimic it.

Fractelaar ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 1:33 PM

Have never send a image for that calender in my idea its only much UF nothing more so do not understand it wrong please Cheers Arend

Deagol ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 1:59 PM

Arend, I didn't misunderstand you. I am confident that Linda and Panny did what they said and sent in a fair cross section of images. I doubt that the publishers know or care how the images were created, but it's obvious that they have a taste for Julia spirals with rainbow colors and not too much texture. If you can do that without UF, they would not know the difference. Good to see you posting here again. :0) Keith

Fractelaar ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 3:05 PM

Have a language problem, reason that i not react many times here :-) Have fun folks Greatz Arend

FireLily ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 3:33 PM

Last year, Keith gave basically the same advice: Look at what the publisher likes and try to render a fractal that meets those requirements. I took this advice to heart and studied all the the art on the calendars from previous years. Still, I was shocked to see that one of my fractals made the calendar since I have only been making fractals for a little over a year and I still stuggle with coloring and compositon. I am not a trained artist. I am eternally grateful to Linda and Panny. If it weren't for them, we would not have this calendar to get fractals out there for folks to view, enjoy, and hopefully purchase. Since this calendar sells out each year, there seems to be a market for fractal art presented this way.... hint, hint. Like Keith, I would love to see fractal art become part of mainstream art. This calendar is one way to get it there. I submitted my fractals partly for the money, but mostly to help promote fractal art. I would love to see more fractal art in art shows and possibly even a gallery in the near future. If y'all remember, a while back, Janet Parke had some of her fractal art published on the covers of a series of mathematics workbooks that students all over the country will be using. I think that is great! Mary

Fractelaar ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 3:52 PM

There are some mathametica magazine ,s that publish our art 5 years back much fractal work from me where publish in the France mathametica magazine "Rescue " Maybe also a hint :-) Only a small part of my friends know about that fact but i am proud to have that magazine in house :-) So you can see the world is full of suprice ,s :-) Cheers Arend

FireLily ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 12:09 PM

How wonderful for you, Arned! That must have been such a joyful event for you! :) Mary

Fractelaar ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 12:58 PM

Yes Mary a real very big suprice greatz Arend

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.