Thu, Oct 17, 5:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 16 2:50 pm)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: Best place to sell?

Saro ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2005 at 6:52 PM ยท edited Thu, 17 October 2024 at 5:22 AM

Not sure if this is where I should post, but I wanted to get some info from merchants. I'll take it down if it's in the wrong spot. I'm getting ready to release a texture package and I wanted some opinions on good places to sell. I've compared DAZ to 'rosity, and 'rosity seems better, but I wanted some feedback from the community first. Can the merchants here tell me where they have had good experiences?

Ardiva ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2005 at 7:10 PM

Attached Link: http://poserpros.daz3d.com/

Rosity has a big audience, so you would perhaps get more sales. Also, there is Poser Pros (which is where my own store is) and they are quicker to get your product in the marketplace, and have good sales there. PP is growing by the leaps and bounds now and has a handsome store. http://poserpros.daz3d.com/

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 12:01 AM

Attached Link: http://3dcommune.com

Also 3DCommune http://3dcommune.com

Poser 9 SR3 ย and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:ย  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:ย  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:ย  2.8 GHz
Operating System:ย  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bitย 
Graphics Type:ย  ATI Radeon HD 4200
โ€ขATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphicsย 
System Ram:ย  8GBย 

3-DArena ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 9:27 AM

Comparing - my sales at DAZ are of course tons higher than anywhere else. At 3D Commune it wasn't worth it for me to upload there and I closed my store there, and they are very restrictive in regards to product linking. You can not for example post in the gallery that you used item A from merchant XX. Kind of bites the merchants on the behind as it limits word of mouth advertising. I have decent sales here and at PoserPros. For a newbie, DAZ isn't always the best choice they are more particular and accept items based on aesthetics and what their data shows will sell relatively well as well as what they want to market. Could be a great product but doesn't fit with their "vision".

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

tdalka ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 2:13 PM

I sell here at Rosity and at 3DCommune and can only say that my sales at 3DC have been the most promising. In the end, it is the buyer that determines where you'll sell the best, and my buyers have been at 3DC.

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 3:34 PM ยท edited Wed, 14 September 2005 at 3:35 PM

I agree with Linda. Here and 3D Commune are good places to sell - and the testing time at 3DC is so fast it leaves smoke trails :-) 3DC also has a nice split on the side of the seller - 70/30

Message edited on: 09/14/2005 15:35

Gill

ย ย ย ย ย ย ย 

ExtremeThemes ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 3:49 PM

I sell great here, and very well at 3DCommune. I sell at PP too but in all honesty with their image restrictions only a percentage of my products go there because sometimes I am to lazy to make all new images..

I think no matter what store you decide to sell in, one or all, you have to give yourself time to establish yourself in that store. Once the regular visitors learn who you are at any site your sales will increase.

Just a little note - as far as mentioning the products in images at 3dcommune, you can mention the merchant who did the product, you just can't say run on over to Rosity to buy it :-)

Gail

BECamation ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 4:17 PM

gee all our staff answered. :) So I'd better too. LSM I think you're comments about us 3DC being restrictive is incorrect. You can post as Gill mentioned we just don't want to see you post where you got it. Example... my painting by me, brushes by Dick Blick ( available at dickblick.com is what we don't want. My painting by me, brushes by dick blick is fine. Etc... You said "Kind of bites the merchants on the behind as it limits word of mouth advertising" Not at all... we let you mention the merchant without issue. It's just the store you got it from doesn't need free advertising. We have been working very hard to do everything in our power to increase sales and it's working well. We're not #1 yet but working towards that goal. It's been a couple of years since you've sold at 3DC anyway. Looks to me like you have old information you're basing this on. Mark

3-DArena ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 4:23 PM ยท edited Wed, 14 September 2005 at 4:27 PM

"gee all our staff answered" lol explains the sudden influx of 3DC sellers. Frankly I only ever hear of one merchant's products from there anywhere else - FDK Designs - that's it. Which is why I haven't bothered putting anything else there.

I hear "get this at Faerie Dreams" or at "poserPros" or "DAZ" or "Renderosity" but never really 3DC. shrug encourages my perception that sales are lower.

Well, my information is not that old - someone just re-verified that to me a day or so ago when it came up that perhaps the restrictions were lifted.

Yes, it's been a few years since I've sold there - for a reason - the above restrictions and the lack of sales for my products compared to elsewhere.

Perhaps sales have increased, for me it wasn't worth selling there. But as with all goods, some do better in other venues. A person may sell a large amount of 1 product in store "A" and less of that product but more of another in store "B". Message edited on: 09/14/2005 16:26

Message edited on: 09/14/2005 16:27

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

BECamation ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 4:35 PM

Who someone? and what were they verifying to you specifically? That's true indeed it depends on the membership that buys from there. We get people from every site that shop at 3DC and many, many new members as well. I guess it's up to the individual vendor really and from this post I'd say it's best to get as much information as you can yourself and try to sell in as many markets as you can. Then you have to give each venue equal time and effort. Only then can you make your comparissons from there. As that was a few years ago that you sold at 3DC, IF you were interested in selling there, I would have checked myself - rather than depend on someone else for that information. As I've said we've made lot's of changes for the better and they are paying off nicely. We also listen and do the best we can when members or customers or vendors have suggestions. Works for some, but not for all. To each his own. We have happy vendors and customers and members... that's what matters to me. :) Mark

Saro ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 5:35 PM

Another question, my texture set is for one of Uzilite's products, and while DAZ and 'Rosity both broker for him, the specific product is only sold at 'Rosity. So I wonder would DAZ even want my texture set, because they don't have the original product?

3-DArena ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 5:52 PM

Daz will only sell add-ons for products they carry. Mark - it had come up about the inbility to link or mention products in the Gallery, the who sells there from what I gathered. I did look into selling there again last week - but frankly I didn't want to go through all the paperwork again when my previous sales records there were insignificant.

-Galileo

BECamation ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2005 at 6:12 PM

No problem LSM. Like I said to each his own. :) I just like to make sure everyone has the correct information and do my best to help alleviate mis-information. Saro - True Daz does that but we don't. Doesn't matter if we don't carry the product at all. Mark

Saro ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2005 at 5:46 PM

That's why 'Rosity looked like a better place to sell. I just wish their filtering system was a bit more advanced. I bet lots of things get buried around here. Still, I would get my stuff on the What's new page for a while at least, and don't they advertise for you in the newsletter sometimes?

ClintH ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2005 at 6:04 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez?viewStory=282

Hi Saro, I have held back from responding to your post since you requested input from merchants/community rather than site administrators. However, Since you asked a few questions about Renderosity I will be more than happy to answer them. We will be working on a better search feature in the near future. Yes, We do advertise a random sampling of products within our weekly newsletter. If you havent yet seen the benifits of brokering through Renderosity the provided link will direct you to them. I hope that Renderosity can serve your brokering needs. Best Regards, Clint MarketPlace Manager

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

BECamation ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 9:48 AM

Hello Clint. Sorry for using your forum to answer questions about us.... Just hate to see wrong information spread around. Hope that's ok. :) Saro you said "I bet lots of things get buried around here" Maybe true but Rosity is a good store, all the stores are good, some are better obviously but in my humble opinion it's worth it to a vendor to sell at as many places as possible. Unless you go exclusive at one place which I don't recommend. I've seen many exclusive vendors end up spreading out to the other stores to capture their missing markets. Also know that each site has it's own dedicated members that only go there and shop there. That's true for Renderosity, 3DCommune, RuntimeDNA, Poser Pro's, Daz, Content Paradise, Animotions, Tubo Squid, Rotica and so on... Plus you've got all the smaller individual stores too out there. If I sold my own products I'd try to be in every store I could just for the extra exposure. You also said that "I just wish their filtering system was a bit more advanced". Actually have you checked out ours at 3DCommune? We feel our filtering system to search for products is one of the best out there. Give it a try. Seach for hair at all the stores and see what you get compared to our search. We think it's quite good. :) We also have a front page showing off new products for 7 days, a what's new section, PDF's of monthly added products, weekly newsletters where vendors are featured and so are products, store products gallery, etc... Again Clint sorry, hope this is ok. If not just kill it. Mark

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 12:49 PM

Attached Link: Odd Ditty Foundry

Well, I'm particularly biased as well (as are all these other shining faces -- waves). Odd Ditty Foundry has the humble fortune of being nicer, though. More personal service. Nicer people. Fewer arcane rules... Primary difference is that ODF is a team oriented site, with all the folks helping each other out. ODF is a young shop, does not have exclusivity as a requirement, and provides the best royalty rate available. We're a hardworking group of artisans who believe in the community overall, not just one site in particular, and don't try to limit anyone's exposure to other sites. We don't limit linking to other stores, and often feature things about the other sites ourselves, having an odd viewpoint that it is bad customer service to restrict such.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

BECamation ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 1:32 PM

waves back. :) Umm a couple of comments. you said "Odd Ditty Foundry has the humble fortune of being nicer, though. More personal service. Nicer people. Fewer arcane rules..." We're as nice as they come too... much more personable just ask, and we try to keep the rules as simple as possible to protect everyone as well. you said "does not have exclusivity as a requirement, and provides the best royalty rate available" We do not require exclusives either nor do we compensate for them. We do give a little more newsletter exposure and extra banner ad space to exclusive vendors. We also give 70% to ALL vendors which I believe is the highest commission rate out there. On our own products, vendors making add on's get 80% of all those products sales. We pay via paypal automatically or check, and we offer several payment options for foregin vendors, the ability to do split stores, great vendor reporting, personal store fronts, and lot's and lot's of options. Mark

sturkwurk ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 8:02 PM

There's also Animotions and rotica to sell at. But that aside, unless your dead set on being exclussive, you should sell at several or all the stores you can. I don't think there's such thing as over exposure if you have a good product. But that's just my opinion. You have to put more work into the files and artwork, but you can do your own studies and see what store is working best for you. Doug

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

pdxjims ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 10:52 AM

Pros and cons: You get the best cut (percentage-wise) at PoserPros, 3D Commune, and other smaller stores. They also get less traffic than the 'sity or Daz. The result is fewer sales for a bigger cut. The 'sity has the largest number of releases, so your offering will more quickly move off the first displayed page. That first page exposer is VERY important to sales. The 'sity also has the most traffic, so you get more exposure in the short time you are on the first page. PoserPro's is rebuilding their base after some controversy and purchase by Daz. It will continue to grow, but does get less traffic than it used to. The cut and the people you work with there are great though. Daz is the premium site to sell though. Selling at Daz is a world all on it's own. You get some very nice perks selling through Daz, and occassionally they'll purchase an item outright to sell as a Daz Original or Platinum Club item (nice for quick cash). They don't sell anything supporting a product or figure not in their store. So if you're doing a texture set for Apollo Maximus clothing, don't even try Daz. The brokers there are pretty good though, and if you do sell at Daz, you get at least a full week or three first page space, and that really helps sales. They also have a reputation for quality control that helps sales. I've got one item at PoserPro's, and expect to sell more there. Most of my items are at Daz, since I have a great relationship with my broker there (I love my Daniel). I've got one major item here at the 'sity, and have another that should be out in a few days. All three stores have been VERY good to me. sturkwurk is right about selling at more than one store. He's also right about considering Anomotions and 'rotica too. However, 'rotica caters to a more adult crowd. I'm working on a specialty set for sale there now, that wouldn't be allowed at most any other site. 'rotica, by it's nature, has fewer hits than some places that're family oriented, but it's a great place for things that push the limits, and the people there are wonderful. My advice? If it's for a popular Daz item and is very good quality, sell at Daz if you can. You'll get some nice perks, and make pretty good sales. The perks make selling at least one or two items at Daz worth it. If it's for another figure, sell at either the 'sity or PoserPro's or 3DCommune. They get the most traffic (the 'sity gets the best). Once you're established, start considering trying other sites to see how you do on cheaper items to start. Odd Ditty's percentage look VERY attractive, but they have a lot less traffic than the major stores. I'll probably be following my own advice on this soon. One last thing. YOU'RE responsible for your own advertising. Don't count on any site to advertise as well as you can. Post previews and notices of your product EVERYWHERE, not just the store you choose. The more people who see your product, the more sales you'll make.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 1:53 PM

I was a hustler at SF cons for 16 years... sole proprietor, selling my own art (with occasional marketing of work by my friends), all over the country (several WorldCons with great exposure), and even up into Canada. I sold original art, signed prints, hand-colored prints, buttons, origami sculptures on mineral specimens.... I kept detailed records of what sold where. Why? because the areas were vastly different. In Boston, all the dragons I sold were green. No golds, no purples, no reds... just green... but lots of them. Some conventions I only sold origami and some conventions I only sold my best originals out of the art shows. Some conventions were more fantasy oriented, and some were more hard-science and tech oriented. Sometimes humor sold, sometimes it didn't. Each venue is different, each area of the country is different, each set of customers is different. If I were to sell into the Poser market, I'd try to offer a variety of stuff (props, clothing, environments) and I would try to cover as many of the stores as possible. THEN I'd keep detailed records of what sold where. For example, if clothes were lost in the clutter just about everywhere except at store x, but props always sold well, I'd have a choice of pushing a line of clothes at the one store (maybe give them an exclusive) while spending more time making props so that name recognition built up everywhere. I would not make underwear and fetish clothes and cartoon kiddies simply because "bondage sells" or "cute sells". I'd make the things which interest ME and put the time and care into them that I'd demand from any merchant. If it is made with enthusiam and a genuine knowledge and love for the topic, my time is better spent doing my best work, and people's money is also better spent. I'd also look at what I purchased... and why. Do extra light sets or MAT poses simply clog up resources and time, or do they make a sale? Camera sets for a spaceship interior and lighting for a haunted house make more sense than cameras and lights for a character standing there in open air! If I hate products with !!!damned exclamation marks and unidentifiable texture names (black.jpg) which require renaming by the consumer, I certainly wouldn't inflict others with that nonsense. (If I look at the readmes in advance, I have to assume that other potential customers do as well: sloppiness and thoroughness are often apparent before purchase.) Finally, I'd ask someone else to proof-read ALL advertising, especially banner ads, promo pics, or anything which is embedded in a graphic. Many artists are quite good model-makers or texturers, but don't have a firm grasp of the English language. At least 3 merchants have offered "alters" when they meant "altars". You intend to stake out the nubile blonde for the demon, but she gets turned into a fluffy white toypoodle before he arrives and things will get very bad or very silly... depending upon the artist... many of whom will snicker. Do you want customers snickering? It sounds mean-spirited, but customers are human. The exception, of course, is if part of what you are offering IS humor. Maclean's readmes in his 3dc freestuff are hilarious. Someone selling a robot might pun on crankcase while someone offering a cellphone or gamebox might deliberately use cybertext. The key here is deliberate! Before putting your product out into the spotlight have someone else check over the promotional materials and anything you've written up... just to be certain that the package as a whole is as good as it can be. Carolly

pdxjims ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 2:03 PM

Carolly is always right. ALWAYS keep that thought in mind (grin). That's some of the best advice you can get.

faveral ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 3:36 PM ยท edited Sat, 17 September 2005 at 3:38 PM

From my experience (I don't sell at DAZ yet, so I'll leave this one out):

Renderosity: Most sales, even for older products.

Poserpros: Used to be almost on par with Renderosity, now pretty much idle. A couple sales on release, some good sales when there's a big store event like a "Buy one get one free" sale, otherwise, almost nothing.

3DCommune: Virtually no sales. If you ever decide to do none poser models, give Turbosquid a try. Very few sales, but at such a price, that you can make almost as much money as at Renderosity with less than half a dozen sales

Message edited on: 09/17/2005 15:38

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 5:13 PM

Pdxjims, Nah! ๐Ÿ˜Š But convention sales and commissions were my entire livelihood for several years before I got into computer art... so I had to pay attention to what sold where or I wouldn't eat. Something Faveral didn't directly say brought up another point: specialty stuff may sell better if there is a bit of competition, which is more likely at the bigger stores. If I'm looking for good clothing or hair, I can browse through just about any of the shops, including the individual merchant sites, and find what I need. This way I can patronize those merchants who always provide good service and quality. But if I am looking for a pirate ship, a viking hall, undersea coral, a loom, whatever, I'm most apt to go to the largest site and search their store first, in the hopes of finding at least one. If I find it, I may keep looking, depending upon my time, to do a bit of comparison shopping. Sometimes a suite will include the particular item (I bought his nautical set because it contained the sextant I need). Keywords are vital, especially at sites with bad search engines. Sites with site-wide sales and specials are going to bring in more browsing customers, some of whom will buy for later use. That isn't a steady cashflow, but welcome. Some sites also have holiday giveaways (RDNA, Renderosity, FairieWylde) where you can offer a sample knowing that a lot of people will pick it up and become familiar with your name and work... and it will have good vibrations attached to it. Folks often have a spot of spending money during the holidays or they are getting gifts for others, so raising your recognition factor at that time of year is useful. Another way to get more name recognition is with sponsoring contests. This forum used to have more of the "name this character" or "guess the file-size" type of small contests, but you can also perhaps sponsor a contest or provide a prize for a challenge in order to build a more targetted market. Let's take a wild example... let's suppose that you've got a line of dog clothing: sweaters with letters, plaid raincoats, santa hats & booties, and fuzzy pink with pom-pom ties. You could have "It's a Dog's Life" contest where people render images of dogs working or shopping or playing poker and the winner gets his pick from your store (or however many prizes you think are suitable given an expected number of entries). Everybody who likes dogs will become aware of your specialty, even if they would never put roller skates on one, and not just the winner(s) but other customers will browse your store. A secondary advantage of something like this, is that you can get more ideas for future products by seeing what folks have rendered... suppose that somebody used the snorkel and flippers from Vicky on a retriever, but the fit on the goggles wasn't quite right, you could smile and add "sporting goods" to your to-do list... and you know who'd make the perfect beta-tester. It doesn't matter what product line you have, you ought to be able to come up with some fun marketing ploy. Just more things to think about. Carolly

Saro ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2005 at 12:00 AM

Three things...I've been in the Poser community for a while and I only heard about Odd Ditty Foundry a few weeks ago. Granted, I don't know how long its been up, but right now it has zilch for exposure. Way too small at the moment. "Rotica is absolutely out of the question as well, for other reasons. Turbosquid...that's just cruel. Since I plan on doing only poser stuff, its a hobby community, not a lifestyle. I'm not going to make Poser artists mortgage their houses:) Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful advice, you've given me lots of great feedback, and its great to get a lot of opposing views. I really like the contest ideas, they sound like fun.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.