Fri, Jul 5, 12:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 05 7:45 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: One For Admins RE: Gallery preview

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 7:42 AM · edited Sat, 30 March 2024 at 1:04 AM

Is this gallery preview thing staying?

I make images a certain size and they look better at that size, this new preview thing affects how the scene should be viewed i.e. In the right context!  Alright the wags will say my images are crap anyway and they may be right but it doesn't change the concept of what I'm saying and I know others have voiced this too!

Most people are not going to click on "zoom" once they see the preview pic, what's the point, they've already seen the pic and if it's not been set up for that size it'll look crap!

I've already seen images by decent artists that look crap at the preview size but when viewed at the correct size look as stunning as they usually do!!

So, Is this feature staying or going please???

For me I hope it's going!!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 8:58 AM

Hear Hear !

I think there should be a Poll : Preview Stay / Go ... and that whould be democratic ...

The gallery is for the artist and if they dont wanna see there work crapped  they should atleast have a say in it ....

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

IO4 ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 9:58 AM

I totally agree - it was much better when you just had the tumbnail in the general gallery to click on and that took you to the full size image. When alot of time and effort has been spent creating and image one wants it to be seen at it's best.  Is there any way the Rendro team could change this?

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 10:09 AM

IO4 wrote:

Quote - I totally agree - it was much better when you just had the tumbnail in the general gallery to click on and that took you to the full size image. When alot of time and effort has been spent creating and image one wants it to be seen at it's best.  Is there any way the Rendro team could change this?

Yep, I really feel strongly about this...more than anything else they've changed here...and I agree 100% with all of you.

"Is there any way the Rendro team could change this?" The answer is certain "YES" they *could...*it's just a question as to whether they will listen to the members...members who have been virtually unanimous in their strong criticism of this new "feature."

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 10:37 AM

they are changing this.

for the worse.

from the Faq thread:

Update - Resizing of images issue -  The programmers are going to run a script that will be retroactive and for future images that our software will resize the image during upload. The full image will be the same size, just no way around this because of the tables but they will be clear good quality images and of course you will still be able to click the zoom to see it at full size. But the good news it they will run the script (that may take a day or two) going back through all images to fix and all going forward.

modus0 ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 10:46 AM

But PJF's script compromise doesn't cause any problems with the tables, and yet still allows full-size images instead of their resized ones, so I'm not buying that "no way around it because of the tables" BS.

The only thing it does do (besides what it's intended to) is force the web page borders closer to the edge of the browser for those people using a screen resolution higher than whatever the PTB have decided as the max width for everything on this site instead of an auto width setup that works for everyone and doesn't leave white spaces on both sides for those with higher screen resolutions.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 10:49 AM

yup ranks with the advice for us to rewrite our browsers....

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 10:55 AM

I guess I keep hoping that any minute now Stacey will come in here and announce that they've had a meeting and decided to abandon this whole "resizing" scheme and just show the full-sized images straight from clicking the thumbnail...just as the artists intended them to be shown...

I hope it's not just wishful thinking on my part...

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

lemur01 ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 12:03 PM

Hope it goes.

I thought i liked it at first but i think, on reflection, that it is just plain irksome having to click twice on what are basically 2 thumbnails to get to see the picture as the artist intended.

Jack

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 12:06 PM

We are still reviewing this issue. So hopefully I'll have something good to report later!!

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 1:07 PM

Wow, all these replies and not a single E-bot [rofl]!!!

Good job I came back to check!!

It seems like I'm not alone in not liking this new feature then!!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 2:47 PM

Ebots for the forums have been fixed "fixer" hahahaha. Okay seriously, your still not getting any forum ebots?

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 2:53 PM

I just got this one Stace, so looks like you fixed it!!!       

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 2:55 PM

I did that just by coming back in here, LOL.. MAGIC

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 3:06 PM

See Stace, You are a God!!!!!!

All hail the great Stacey!!      

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 3:14 PM

:)

Doc000 ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 3:14 PM

I understand this issue is still being reviewed, but...

Are you people insane? There's a fix that does away with the whole resizing thing via the CSS and doesn't break anything. Just code into the default style sheet and be done with it. I don't understand the fascination with resizing the images...I have yet to see anyone from Rendo explain WHY the images must be resized at all.

I'm sorry, but this whole thing is just ridiculous.  You don't tell anyone that your new software will butcher people's images and then you seem to get mad that anyone dare question the decision to resize images.  Now, after one of the community's members provides a simple fix, you're going to go out of your way to hard code a script to resize the images because you believe that...come hell or high water...they absolutely have to be resized. (And when I say "you", I'm referring to the collective "you" at Renderosity.) Exactly what is this bizarre obsession with resizing images to 700 pixels wide?

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 3:20 PM

No actually the script was already put in place and was being worked on BEFORE this.  I just said I'm still discussing some other alternative with the programmers.  There are things behind the scenes that the programmer know about the core that everything is not as simple as it might seem to us that are not working on it. That doesn't mean we cant come up with a resolution to please everyone its just there are a dozen important things going on at one time right now. We are still discussing as I've stated.

And there is no "obssesion" with the 700 size there are just other things to consider that the programmers have to research.

Doc000 ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 4:24 PM

And again, there's still no reason given as to WHY the images have to be resized at all.  Perhaps if someone could explain that part, then things might go a lot smoother.  But the attitude of "it has to be resized because we said so" doesn't help the situation. It's obviously not a technical reason, because the CSS can be altered to display the image at its actual size. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to find out the reasoning behind the attitude.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 9:50 PM

What about that annoying mouse over stuff?  Please say that isn't staying?  :(

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

FlyByNight ( ) posted Fri, 16 June 2006 at 10:13 PM

I've also noticed when moving my mouse from one thumb to the next the page flickers. Don't like that at all. Pretty annoying it is.

FlyByNight

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 12:19 AM · edited Sat, 17 June 2006 at 12:20 AM

Quote - I've also noticed when moving my mouse from one thumb to the next the page flickers. Don't like that at all. Pretty annoying it is.

Well, it would appear I'm not the only one who has noticed this.  I can't pin it down...perhaps a sudden page refresh with the mouseovers?  I'm inclined to agree with others that the pop-up creates distraction, and the info can be garnered from the image page anyway.  Nice feature, but  unnecessary, I think.

Shardz ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 1:03 AM · edited Sat, 17 June 2006 at 1:13 AM

I just started a thread on this myself and didn't see this one posted first...probably out of sheer frustration as I look to the grim future of the poor decisions that are being considered today. Here's my post of my thread.

This topic has been brought up in a few other threads thus far, but I would like to create a thread that generally is not in support of having our images tampered with and being forced to click an extra time to view the image.

With the scripting options posted in other threads, the site is fantastic as is and allows a user to revert to viewing images the old way - One click, one view. I don't have time to click multiple times to view images, and what's worse, I don't want my images anti-aliased, even the preview image. I really like my custom script that allows me to view the site as I feel comfortable with, and this doesn't affect anyone else but me. If you do decided to carry on with this ridiculous algorthm, then PLEASE make it an option to turn off as many users are happy with their custom scripts in functionality, and there will be ample support in the forums to assist those who want their desired customizations. I click on my thumbs in my gallery, the full sized posted image loads with all my information, stats, comments, and BAM...it's on! It's my home here, too, and that's the way I prefer to have it presented.  One click, one view, completely wholesome.

From a legal standpoint that has been brought up in other threads; Renderosity is run as a private entity and they have the right to operate the site as they see fit, and always have. The debate comes in when  they duplicate, alter, and publically post this preview image and thus fabricating what the artist intends on presenting to the end user. Especially when the artist does not condone this activity or want his or her works displayed in this fashion. Not only that, but it doesn't ensure the image will even be viewed in its' proper state.  If another user took my images, modified them, then decided to post it in their vision, no matter what the intention, there wouldn't be enough expletive language from my lungs to convey my expressiveness. I certainly wouldn't expect this activity to originate from the site.

I prefer options, as do many of us here, and not have to conform to an ideal of a handful of individuals that have a different outlook in how artwork should be presented. As it stands, with my custom script that I have put together from various sources here, the site is better than ever and I don't have to click 200% more to navigate the site in an effective and bandwith efficent manner.

All arguments aside, I do appreciate the thought and consideration that is going into the conversion of the site and to try to arrive at a happy medium to where most will be content. However, altering artwork is not the path to travel, and quite a few users will decide to travel a path which leads far away from this site. Something to indeed consider in the plethora of decisions which can be made to arrive at a logical conclusion. Nobody wants their artwork modified, especially by a cold and calculated generalized script that will most likely end up blurring large images, thus creating a facade that the artist most certainly didn't intend to present while uploading.

Please consider these thoughts carefully as I truly feel that giving the end-user the option of customization is ultimately the most prevailing way to travel to lead this site successfully.

P.S. Yes, the mouse-over stat window is handy, but very annoying already. It does flicker the entire page after crossing over to another image, and it did not do that last night. I just don't see what they can't have the old Ratings/Comments under the thumb like before. What good is "uploaded 237 days and 3 hours ago" tell me? That I'm a turtle? LOL! I don't need to be reminded that time is passing by so fast, and it's a bit depressing. : / All things being equal, I will keep the stupid mouse-over stat window in lieu of this insane hard coding/smoothing function, which actually functions more like vandalism than anything constructive. I personally am not working on this project, but with the scripts, the galleries are even better than before when you initiated the dreaded popup window viewing images. Let's keep it real, but please not real dumb. =)

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 2:35 AM

OK, I've just picked up on something here: Apparently; correct me if I'm wrong! I can edit some script and a click on my thumb will give the correct image size rather than this crappy preview, Is that right?

If that's right, how in the hell am I supposed to do that? Do you have to know programming? I looked at a whole page of stuff before that looked like a lot of symbols and words, a bit like Hieroglyphics really!!!

If that is how you are going to deal with this preview thing instead of dumping it in the bin where it belongs then may I humbly suggest you put a tute on how to disable this feature and if you have already done a tute can you tell me where it is!

Thanx!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Shardz ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 4:28 AM · edited Sat, 17 June 2006 at 4:31 AM

Hi thefixer!

Yes, the site is completely customizable (right now). Here is my script that I have built from so many great members here, and works wonders for me. Please take note that it is almost stark black. My eyes are very sensitive to light and this works for me very well. You can replace the key color codes with the color picker on this site:

http://www.siteprocentral.com/cgi-bin/feed/feed.cgi

----------Copy this code below this line into your CSS gallery options (Under My Options in Gallery)-----------

BODY {background-color:#000000; color: #e3edf5; }
.content_cell { background-color:#000000; }

td { background-color: black !important; color: white !important ; }

table.outside_table { width: auto; !important;}

a {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration: underline; font-size: 12px; color: #FFFFFF;}
a:link {color: #e3edf5;}
a:hover {color: #FFFFFF;}
a:visited {color: #e3edf5;}
select {z-index: -1;}

/* Sets the appearance of entry boxes */
textarea {background-color:#495F73; color: #e3edf5;}

.gallery_header { font-size:18px; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; }
.gallery_menu { text-align:center; }

.gallery_table { border:2px solid #404040; padding: 2px; }

.gallery_section_bar { background-color:#495F73; height:30px; }
.gallery_section_cell { font-family:Verdana; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; padding:2px; height:30px; }
.gallery_section_link_cell { text-align:right; padding:2px; }
a.gallery_section_link_cell, a.gallery_section_link_cell:hover, a.gallery_section_link_cell:active, a.gallery_section_link_cell:visited { font-family:Verdana; font-size:12px; text-decoration:none; }
a.gallery_section_link_cell:hover { text-decoration:underline; }

.gallery_cell { padding:4px; }
.gallery_images_cell { padding:2px; }

.gallery_display_table { border:1px solid #404040; border-bottom-width:0px; }

.gallery_display_avatar_cell { border-bottom:1px solid #404040; background-color:#000000; padding:2px; }
.gallery_display_title_cell { border-bottom:1px solid #404040; height:50px; background-color:#000000; padding:2px; vertical-align:top; }
.gallery_image_title_div { font-family:Verdana; font-size:18px; }
.gallery_image_author_div { font-family:Verdana; font-size:11px; }
a.gallery_image_author_div, a.gallery_image_author_div:hover, a.gallery_image_author_div:active, a.gallery_image_author_div:visited { font-family:Verdana; font-size:11px; }

.gallery_display_filler { background-color:#000000; }
.gallery_display_image_cell { width: auto; padding:10px; text-align:center; background-color:#000000; border-bottom:1px solid #404040; }
img.gallery_display_image_cell { border:1px solid #404040; padding:0px; }

a.gallery_image_action_bar, a.gallery_image_action_bar:active, a.gallery_image_action_bar:visited { font-size:11px; text-decoration:none; border:1px solid #404040; padding:3px; padding-bottom:4px; white-space:nowrap; }
a.gallery_image_action_bar:hover { font-size:11px; text-decoration:none; border:1px solid #404040; background-color:#000000; white-space:nowrap; }
a.gallery_image_action_bar img { height:15px; margin: 0 0 -4px 0; }

.gallery_display_notes_cell { width: 100%; text-align: center;
 background-color:#000000; padding:4px; border-bottom:1px solid #404040; }
.gallery_display_details_cell { width: 20%;
 background-color:#000000; width:200px; border-left:1px solid #404040; border-bottom:1px solid #404040; padding:4px; font-size:11px; }
.gallery_notes_details_header { font-weight:bold; }
.gallery_notes_details_body { padding-left:8px; }

.gallery_comment_table { border:1px solid #404040; border-bottom-width:0px; }

.gallery_comment_header_cell { background-color:#000000; padding:4px; text-align:center; font-family:Verdana; font-size:18px; border-bottom:1px solid #404040; height:50px; }
.gallery_comment_avatar_cell { background-color:#000000; border-bottom:1px solid #495F73; padding:2px; }
.gallery_comment_body { background-color:#000000; border-bottom:1px solid #404040; padding:4px; }
.gallery_comment_title_div { font-size:11px; }
a.gallery_comment_title_div, a.gallery_comment_title_div:hover, a.gallery_comment_title_div:active, a.gallery_comment_title_div:visited { font-size:11px; }
.gallery_comment_divider_cell { background-color:#000000; border-bottom:1px solid #495F73; height:5px; }

-------Copy above this line to your options------------------

You will see that the site is now effective, although rather dark in this case. I love black, but you can alter the colors with notepad and the "Replace All" function and the color wheel. I hope this helps, and although it's not perfect, it's very close for me.

vikinglady ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 11:57 AM

Shardz

Quote - http://www.siteprocentral.com/cgi-bin/feed/feed.cgi

You will see that the site is now effective, although rather dark in this case. I love black, but you can alter the colors with notepad and the "Replace All" function and the color wheel. I hope this helps, and although it's not perfect, it's very close for me.

Thanks,

Love the color picker.  Bookmarked it in my brower.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 2:05 PM

Shardz, thanx for that, much appreciated really!

Question though: Is this how it's supposed to work?  Do the PTB expect people to fiddle with scripts like this to get it how they want?

What about people that don't know how to do this or get phased by even looking at these lines of code?

I don't mind telling you, I have a HNC in electronics and even to me this is pretty hairy stuff!

I'm just amazed if this is how the PTB want it!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 7:06 PM

Quote - Hi thefixer!

Yes, the site is completely customizable (right now).

I suspect that will be changed. It was like that when the boards changed and then they blocked us from being able to alter certain aspects IE:  forum banner

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

PJF ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 7:43 PM

Quote - Question though: Is this how it's supposed to work?  Do the PTB expect people to fiddle with scripts like this to get it how they want?

To a certain extent, yes. That's the nature of democracy - it requires effort. ;-)

In the old ez forums there was a colour-picker type device for customising the Rendo appearance. In that sense we've gone backwards because we no longer have that direct visual tool. But the new system, despite needing much more user input, has much more control over nearly everything. Not just colour, but layout too.

Anyways, to get the cascading style sheets (CSS) to work:

When you are in the galleries, there will be a link near the top called "my options". Click on that and look for a data entry box called "My Style". That's where you paste the block of code you copy from posts in threads like this. Or that's where you go in and edit the existing code.

There's a sticky thread in this forum
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2652220
where you can pick up many schemes to try. 

mylemonblue ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 2:07 AM · edited Sun, 18 June 2006 at 2:10 AM

Command line OSs were more powerful than Gui based ones but it isolated the average person and was a barrier to wide mainstream usage. Proven out by the fact we are using Apple and MS not Unix.

Point is if isolation of the average user and ending mainstream use is your goal then coding schemes(CSS or any other) are exactly what you want to use.

It's my hope that a interface option is part of the plan here. If not then we know exactly what their goal realy is.
:closedeyes:

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

firestorm ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 2:22 AM · edited Sun, 18 June 2006 at 2:24 AM

Quote - > Quote - Question though: Is this how it's supposed to work?  Do the PTB expect people to fiddle with scripts like this to get it how they want?

To a certain extent, yes. That's the nature of democracy - it requires effort. ;-)

I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with democracy but more to do with "product and customer support"......the product you'll have provided is not satisfactory to the customer....

is it too much trouble to have a sticky created with the css code and the relevant lines highlighted so that we can then make changes as we need....remember that not all of us are programers/coders....at this early stage a little bit of hand holding will be necessary.

it would be helpful if this is done for the forum css as well

Pictures appear to me, I shoot them.   Elliot Erwitt

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.