Fri, Oct 4, 9:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: slow site,multiple comments and dial up..suck..

Primal ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 12:32 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 9:25 PM

This was my gripe on my last post..

i am having a hell of a time keeping up because of the super slowness of the site and this ridiculous multi page comment thing..i am completely frustrated with it...i cant keep up with comments on your art or mine...i have 539 ebots in my inbox and that really bothers me to know there isnt enough time in the day to look at and comment on these..i will start another thread in the community forum,but my words there seam to blow away in the wind or something as no change is in view..and i have no choice for anything faster were i live..

let me give you an example of how long it takes on dial up here in comparison to 3dc...here it takes 40 seconds to load the page at 3dc 5 seconds(and there is only 1 page for comments..on rendo if i want to look at a second page comment, it can take up to a minute or more..now if i do the math looking and replying to all my ebots here would take roughly 18 hours(not including time to think)..and if i want to do any art...?Just forget it..so i cant make any excuses or say i am looking because i cant..

if you want to take me off your list,i understand,but commenting for me will be rare..i am sorry as i love my friends here and want to keep in touch,,but this consumes all my time now and thats just not fare to me or you or my family..

and if you think i should turn off my comments i will...

i thought this would be an upgrade and things would get better but it has turned the site into a snail for me..

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 3:30 PM

Hi Bill, I think it has very little to do with the fact you're on dial-up. Your experiences match what mine were and I was on fast cable (well, fast everywhere else, at least). It IS incredibly frustrating to just sit there waiting for pages to open, and to know that you'll never be able to see all the things in the gallery you want to...just not enough time at the site's pace.

I hope you'll get some "hopeful" response from the PTB...the "php system will speed everything up" has pretty much been exhausted...I think it's partly a perception problem because usually their response to these complaints is "it's lightning quick for me" as in this thread ...so I'm not sure they even believe they have a problem.

{waves Hi} see ya Bill

Jen

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 3:44 PM

It does vary for me sometimes its really quick and other times it slows down.  I will see what I can do about getting the speed issue looked at.

Thanks

Mahray ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 7:25 PM

With things like this it is best to try and be as specific as possible.  For example:

(1) Does it happen in other browsers (IE/Firefox/Opera)?

(2) Can you do a traceroute to and give us the results?
       To do this, open up a command prompt (Run->cmd should work in most versions of          
        windows) then type in tracert market.renderosity.com

(3) Does it happen at Rostiy only? -  Seems to  be yes
(4) Are other sites slowed down at the same time? - Looks like a no

== Probably a problem with Rosity's servers or the link between them and you

(5) Does it always happen at the same time of the day (or all the time)?

If it only happens with one browser and not another, then there is something going wonky with your system.  The traceroute will allow you to see if it is slow servers on Rosity's end (not necessarily slow php, just as a fast response doesn't mean fast page loading), a bottleneck in the pipeline, or something else.  The last question might help the Rosity techies find out when it is happening, and see if there is any reason for a slowdown.

Example Traceroute:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and SettingsTim>tracert market.renderosity.com

Tracing route to market.renderosity.com [66.18.106.198]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    21 ms    23 ms    22 ms  lns1.Brisbane.netspace.net.au [203.17.101.83]
  3   111 ms    21 ms    23 ms  core1-fastether-0-0-23.Brisbane.netspace.net.au
[203.17.102.89]
  4    83 ms    23 ms    22 ms  FastEthernet3-0-0.GW1.BNE1.ALTER.NET [210.80.144
.181]
  5    64 ms    21 ms    23 ms  23.so-3-2-0.XR1.BNE1.ALTER.NET [210.80.32.105]
  6    36 ms   138 ms    36 ms  so-0-0-3.XT1.SYD4.Alter.Net [210.80.33.69]
  7   191 ms   191 ms   256 ms  0.so-4-3-0.IR1.LAX12.ALTER.NET [210.80.50.249]
  8   209 ms   293 ms   284 ms  0.so-5-0-0.IL1.LAX9.ALTER.NET [152.63.48.65]
  9   193 ms   278 ms   249 ms  0.so-7-0-0.XL1.SCL2.ALTER.NET [152.63.54.134]
 10   193 ms   194 ms   195 ms  0.so-6-0-0.BR1.SCL2.ALTER.NET [152.63.57.49]
 11   292 ms   300 ms   314 ms  204.255.174.254
 12   403 ms   265 ms   204 ms  p4-2-0.RAR2.SanJose-CA.us.xo.net [65.106.5.185]

13   497 ms   209 ms   451 ms  p6-0-0.RAR1.LA-CA.us.xo.net [65.106.0.17]
 14   337 ms   324 ms   215 ms  p0-0-0d0.RAR2.LA-CA.us.xo.net [65.106.1.50]
 15   235 ms   364 ms   240 ms  p6-0-0.RAR1.Dallas-TX.us.xo.net [65.106.0.13]
 16   352 ms   319 ms   268 ms  p0-0-0d0.RAR2.Dallas-TX.us.xo.net [65.106.1.38]

17   381 ms   264 ms   356 ms  p6-0-0.RAR1.Atlanta-GA.us.xo.net [65.106.0.9]
 18   327 ms   302 ms   350 ms  p4-1-0.MAR1.Nashville-TN.us.xo.net [65.106.4.30]

19   270 ms   391 ms   270 ms  p0-1.CHR1.Nashville-TN.us.xo.net [207.88.85.122]

20   266 ms   280 ms   267 ms  66.238.242.46.ptr.us.xo.net [66.238.242.46]
 21   538 ms   263 ms   337 ms  cs01.bna2.rentech.net [66.18.99.72]
 22   484 ms   275 ms   354 ms  avalon.bondware.com [66.18.106.198]

Trace complete.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 7:54 PM

Mahray, just my opinion, but I think this is a widespread problem that has been going on to varying degrees of severity for many, many months...including a "long enough" time since the majority of the php conversion has been in place. It's NOT just a few people experiencing problems that the sort of diagnostic you're suggesting would determine much.

If, for example, I go to this site and pages take up to a minute to load and then go to 5 other sites using the same browser and the same connection and all of those sites' pages open up "lightning fast," it seems pretty clear what the source of the problem is...to my logic at least. I've experienced this exact set of circumstances time and again...and dozens & dozens (hundreds & hundreds ??) of other members have reported the same thing.

Most people just aren't complainers or they've given up complaining about it. Still, this has been talked about in probably a hundred different forum threads here over the past several months...I don't know what it would take to fix the problem...more & faster server capacity comes to mind as one possibility.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 8:59 PM

I've used tracert and pathping before, when 'rosity was responding slowly or not at all. Times varied, between about 100 and 300 ms, all reasonable values.. Which means that it's NOT a RTT problem.

The amount of users logged in doesn't seem to have any relation to the speed of the site. Time of day also doesn't seem to matter.

I can't help wondering wether someone is monitoring performance logs?

Usually the site is reasonably fast (not lightning fast, and no faster than before the changeover), sometimes it's excruciatingly slow.

Pure performance is one side of the issue. Usability is another. And here I'm with Bill; by simply applying the bascs of usability design this site could be so much better... Single page comments/forum posts, lessening the load on the server, lessening the amount of network traffic, lessening the amount of clicks by the user.... Does it really has to be spelled out every time?

I teach computer programming, networking and hardware at a polytechnical. And right now I'm using Renderosity as an example of how NOT to do things.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Mahray ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 10:08 PM

The reason I was interested in that sort of stuff is that I've never had problems since the site switched over to PHP.  Always been fast to very fast for me (apart from when my connection was shaped).  So I've always wondered why some people had slow-downs, and not me.

I guess I could just be lucky all the time...

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 11:06 PM

While I was eating dinner, I started to think a bit more about this, and I've come up with what I think is a good idea which will really assess the degree to which this is a problem for members. Why not just run a poll and ask? I've even drafted some text for it:

Title of Poll: Poll Regarding Site Speed

"We at Renderosity are working hard to improve your experience while visiting the site. Towards that goal, please let us know how you would best describe the browsing speed of Renderosity:

A. Renderosity is much faster than most other sites I visit.

B. Renderosity is somewhat faster than most other sites I visit.

C. Renderosity is about the same speed as most other sites I visit.

D. Renderosity is somewhat slower than most other sites I visit.

E. Renderosity is much slower than most other sites I visit."

That's my suggestion and I think it's a fair poll. It seems to me that every time this topic comes up, it's suggested that this is an isolated problem, that most people aren't having any speed issues when they visit the site. So let's find out! Why not just run this poll, put it on the front page, place links to the poll in the weekly newsletter, place links to the poll as a sticky in every forum. Give it maximum exposure for a week, keep the real-time results public so there's legitimacy, and let's find out the true story. If the results show most people think the site speed is okay (which I would interpret to be any of the first three categories in the poll), those of us regularly complaining will have more reason to think "Hey, maybe it's a problem on MY end". On the other hand, if the results show a widespread speed problem, that would certainly be useful information for the PTB's...information they can use to plan the final stages of the conversion.

It's not hard to set up a poll such as this, but I'll guess that the PTB's will just say "No" to this idea, perhaps by saying "we're still in the middle of the conversion", or "we have an annual survey and members can express their feelings about the site at that time."

Well, just about all the major areas of the site are already converted: store, forums, gallery, site mail & freestuff. As far as the annual survey, I just think this is too important an issue to bury in the annual survey or rely on members "writing in" some comments about this.

Reliable information is so very valuable...let's all get some valuable information on this important subject!

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 11:30 PM

I always look at the number of visitors when it slows down here...though I am not at all sure that number is accurate any more...at the same time, when it is over 1300 the site is slow...but over all on AVERAGE the site is only...say... a 3rd faster than before the changeover...and that is not that much, when it was VERY slow before.... on the other hand...so many sites have gone to flash and other things that slow the load down... RDNA and Content Paradise used to load sooo fast and now it's wait and wait while the initial chunks of flash load....Don't get me wrong, I won't stop visiting those sites and am only talking about my own visit experiences. I do NOT mean to disparage anyone or any site... just a comment on the way that graphic sites seem to be going these days.

One thing I have done lately when Rosity is really slow, I dash over to my own sites, and other stores, to see if it "is me" ...and those other sites do load VERY fast always.

I made a post on this a bit ago, and wondered if setting my gallery visits to "show images full size always" was one reason... but over the past few days it seems to be an "overal site" sluggishness... on the other hand (I am running out of hands! ;).... it is not PAINFULLY slow any more and I have not given up and left lately.... so that is a plus.

I do think the site is "bloated" with too many bells and whistles that take a lot of bandwidth... for example I just discovered that my home page keeps a record with thumbs of "recently visited gallery pics"!! Yikes! WASTE...in my opinion.. gosh...they may be images I don't even like, but clicked them because the thumb looked interesting... it's even embaressing as I would not want some I click to represent my interest or endorsement....

I have come back to shopping fairly regularly, and using the forums again...so as long as it does not slow down more...

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Mahray ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 2:05 AM

I agree with Cliff-Dweller regarding the poll in everything but the real-time updating of results, it would probably cause less bias to have them kept under-wraps (at least until after a member has voted).

Also, good work coming up with a five point scale, again much more reliable than faster/normal/slower.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 9:56 AM

Mahray wrote:> Quote - I agree with Cliff-Dweller regarding the poll in everything but the real-time updating of results, it would probably cause less bias to have them kept under-wraps (at least until after a member has voted).

Also, good work coming up with a five point scale, again much more reliable than faster/normal/slower.

Oh yes, I agree 100% about not being able to see the current poll tally until after you vote...thanks for clarifying that, Mahray! Now that you mention it, I think that's how their other polls work (like AOM, e.g.). I just don't want the vote tally held back until the final results are in and posted...more credibility in the whole process if we can see the results as they unfold...once we've already voiced our opinion on the question.

Thanks Mahray!

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 12:13 PM

Cliff-dweller

This would need to be included in our Annual Community Survey but that is happening the second week of Sept I believe, so if you all feel it needs to be in this survey, I will be glad to add the poll question.

And if you give me permission cliff-dweller, I'll word it as you have above:)

Stac

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 1:22 PM

Hi Stacey, thanks for your response and your interest. Here's my take on the situation:

I actually don't think the poll should be buried inside the annual survey, but should be a stand-alone poll...and here's why. I think there's a really BIG disconnect between what the members feel and what the PTB's say the members feel. I'm not saying the members are being intentionally misled, maybe it's just a case of selective listening by PTB's...hearing more of what they want to hear or what coincides with their own feeling. And I'm not directing that at anyone in particular, please understand...but I think we've seen time and again a stark contrast between what members say in forums & shared PM's versus the PTB's statements that "most members are very happy..." and "we know that because people write us privately because they're reluctant to write positive things in the foums."

A front page poll would provide transparency (and anonymity, too), and transparency would provide believability. People could see the current results right after they've voted and could  go back later to see the updated results. There wouldn't be any filtering or summarization by the PTB's that we get when the results of the annual survey are announced.

A template to run a poll already exists...it's used every month for AOM...and I've already provided some verbage (which of course you are welcome to use). How hard would it really be to do this and settle the debate.

There is precedence for this...a separate poll was run sometime last year regarding the navigation links used at the top of the site's pages.

If this important question is just buried in the annual survey, it won't get the type of visibility it warrants, and the results won't be as transparent.

So my first choice by far would be to run a separate poll with a high visibility so the level of input by members is strong. But if all I can convince you to do is to include it in the annual survey, well that's alot better than where things stood yesterday...but I do think it's an inferior choice.

That's my pitch...thank you again for your interest, Stacey. I REALLY do appreciate your willingness to listen!

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 5:33 PM

I really am sorry if I sound harsh and distrusting...I definitely have a bit of an edge sometimes...R'osity was such a big part of my life before and it can't be the way it is now...so it makes me sad and want to do everything to change it for the better...that's all...

Jen

Primal ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 9:52 AM

i so agree jen..it was very special..and i would like to see it that way again before all our good friends pack up and leave to other sites...and just recently it has slowed even more,and now putting out a comment takes over a minute..and that is hear and no were else...and i am sure it is not my computer as everywhere else works just fine..its only here i have problems..this place is like a stick in the mud...

Primal ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 9:58 AM

and i remember the poll last year and i didnt think it asked questions that pertained to much of the problems i had heard of...like the top 20 issue...wich was changed to the charts and really isnt much better cuz now we dont have the best of each gallery ,,when giving people an option to not participate would have been better and even now there is no option to not participate in this scoreboard for art..when i think it not a contest to most people... art is to subjective to rate...but that is another thread...

Lyne ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 4:19 PM

Came today and I see the users (at 2 pm Pacific time) are over 2000 and it is REALLY slow to post my gallery comments and open pages....hmmmm.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 8:36 PM

No worries cliff-dweller, I understand the frustration. I will be bringing this up to the admin team for a seperate poll when I get back in the office next week. I'm actually taking a few vacation days cause I desperately need to step away from the computer for a few days, LOL but I'll get right on it when I get back all refreshed:)

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 10:10 PM

Thank you soooo much, Stacey! I really do appreciate you considering this!

I'm also floored that you took a peek in here during your vacation!! Wow...thank you!!

StaceyG wrote: "I desperately need to step away from the computer for a few days"

um, that would be my fault 😊 :lol:

I hope you enjoy your time off...

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 10:17 PM

No not your fault. Even though my work day ends at 5:00 I don't officially start my vacation days until tomorrow so I'm still checking on things still but am probably done now as I'm off to bed to start on that rest:)  You all be good okay? LOL

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 1:48 AM · edited Thu, 24 August 2006 at 2:00 AM

Have a very good vacation and refreshing time away from the computer!  Restful hugs!

And go figure-there are over 1200 online right now and my gallery visiting and comity is going very fast!  :-)

Shardz ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 7:41 PM

I agree with Bill and JenJen regarding all that was brought up about speed issues and the state of the 'vibe' of the site. Change is never easy, especially on this level, but my opinion is that the boat has been taking on water faster than they can bail it out. I'm on broadband cable and I see absolutely no visable difference from before the change. Perhaps I'm on the wrong side of the backbone, maybe my connections need to be cleaned with canned air, or there might quite possibly be a problem here.

I'm also seeing a very large new generation posting to the galleries lately, and the old school favorites I have on my list are posting less and less. My statistics (and many others I have noticed) have almost halved since December; this includes comments, views, etc. I guess my point arrives at the question; "Where did everyone go?". And is there a reason for that? 

Bill, I think you should leave your comments on if you like, or perhaps off if you aren't comfortable. I face the very same dilemma and have for quite some time. Friends of mine have told me to leave comments on since I rarely post and people like to check in and toss a few words my way. There is definitely a guilt factor for not commenting back, and between my ruthless job and the speed and other problems of today's Renderosity, I find it difficult to field 30+ comments per day. There is a lot of daily posting going on and that's pretty much what sank my ability to comment anymore. Perhaps that is part of the problem?? Maybe limit everyone to posting no more than 2 images per week and see what happens to the bandwidth.

I also agree that the community climate is not what is once was a year ago. It was quite a different place a year ago and the heart and soul of the community was so strong and passionate. Today it almost feels kind of canned and cold...like it's obvious the galleries are the paint to the store. And speaking of store, could it be possible that some merchants who submit products every single day aren't helping, either*?* Perhaps limit them to one product per week, and that will also free up more resources to have other products approved.

The Art Charts are laughable, in my opinion, and it seems the only ones who like it are those who didn't make the Hot20 previously. Either you have a ton of friends and/or you post everyday and you're on there. One who posts once in awhile and, say, gathers 10 faves will fall below those who post everyday and get 2 faves per image. You are basically rewarding those who are eating most of the bandwidth in a redundant cycle. Not that I am here to deplete anyone's joy, but these are the statistics and should be considered, as well. It's just like going on a diet and you have to cut corners here and there to get some results.

I think there are a plethora of aspects that need to be considered in the overall big picture of things that are causing some of the problems that are detracting from the joy for some here. It's going to take at least a year to get this site up and running 100% and to touch on all these problems in the long run. About all we can do is sit and wait, or go somewhere else for the time being until it resolves. I haven't posted in three months for all the same reasons, and I'm not really sure what to do about it, either.

Mahray ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 6:52 AM

Shardz, I don't disagree with the major drift of your discussion, but I would like to say that the Bryce forum at least is still a vibrant place, the main cause of people deserting there was a switch to Cararra.

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 11:23 AM

If you turn off Java Renderosity run faster, of course for posting a reply you must enable Java, reload the page,  wait a time,  post the reply and disable Java again, but is worth this extra work and most of the time you only read or view without any reply..
And as usual, after "post reply" I'm going to disable Java one more time......

Stupidity also evolves!

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 2:06 PM

Quote - If you turn off Java Renderosity run faster, of course for posting a reply you must enable Java, reload the page,  wait a time,  post the reply and disable Java again, but is worth this extra work and most of the time you only read or view without any reply..
And as usual, after "post reply" I'm going to disable Java one more time......

That would be JavaScript not Java. They are two completely different things.

tainted_heart ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 6:20 PM

I can't even imaging having an annual poll that doesn't include questions about site performance, Admin/Mod response, service quality, and usability of the site software. I certainly hope all those will be included in the upcoming poll.

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!! 

hewee ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 10:18 PM

A poll should have a place for a comment too for what may not even be listed in the poll or is not listed the right way.

fiontar ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 2:52 PM

I think that Renderosity may have to find a new hosting company, because this site has been the slowest, by far, that I visit on a fairly regular basis. A number of  high population gaming sites I participate in have been through more than one hosting change before finding the right service. Once they do find the right host, the problems go away. There really can be a huge difference between one service and the next. Most good services can fascilitate a nearly seemless transition, even for a complex site like this.

On the off chance this is a money issue (i.e. not wanting to pay for higher capacity hosting), I can honestly say that Renderosity has lost more than a few potential purchases from me in the last year because even the marketplace can grind to a near halt. Makes browsing for products a chore, then I have to worry about whether my download will be effected if I do manage to find what I want and get it to the cart. I am sure I'm not the only one. The site response problems are costing Renderosity money, probably a lot more than the cost of getting on a better host or hardware.

Primal ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2006 at 10:08 AM

Yes my buying here has just about stopped..it takes 10 minutes just to get to what i want to look at in the market..i am afraid i dont have that much patience and then I go elsewere..and when i do it is so much faster and easier than here..I dont think they need a poll to show me how slow they are...and a question as i see people think posting 1 image a day is taxing your bandwidth..Is it?If so i would suggest fiontars suggestion..also in the past week i have noticed the commenting is even getting slow as i have to wait a full minute for my screen to return after entering a comment.and finally i had my friend from microsoft (Who is helping design the new Vistas opperating system)thumb thru the site on his computer and he thinks its F*cked up(Exact words)but he couldnt tell me why..just slow and sticky he said..To many bells and whistles for the amount of bandwidth to be streamlined...so what you gonna do?

Yotna ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2006 at 11:06 AM

I guess I must be lucky as I don't get too many speed issues. That could be due to me being UK based and therefore around at differing times to you guys across the pond. We very definately see a hit on the web when America wakes - so that could be part of your problems (in addition to the recent slow downs). I have seen a slower response since the changes but its not too serious.

Not sure if any of this helps... But you have my sympathies R'osity is a great resource in so many ways. Freebies being a major time waster for me - I download 'em, install 'em and never get the time to play with 'em. Ho-hum such is life...

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2006 at 10:44 AM

Yes, I visited the site a couple of times this week hoping I would see that the poll had been set up, so I could cast my vote...figured September 1 would have been a good date to start it...but nothing there that I can see poll-wise.

Bill, I suggested the poll not so much to show you how slow it is here, or show me how slow it is, or show any of the other many members who have already complained about the site's speed. We already know. The purpose of the poll, more than anything else, is to give a reality check to what seems to be a divergence of perception between many, many, MANY members and the PTB whose response more often than not is something like "the site is fast for me."

I AM holding my breath for the poll, btw...getting a bit blue colored in the face, too! :crying:

Primal ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2006 at 12:16 PM

I am sorry Cliff-dweller,i didnt mean to sound harsh...i do agree that they do need a poll..and now i have tried another friends high speed sevice and it was pretty fast hear..The people that have that kind of service dont see the problem..and some that have high speed service still find this place slow also...so i dont know how to analyze this stuation and come to any kind of solution...its up to the hackers to figure what effects us out here..as for friends i have asked they are about 50  50 some slow some fast...but no one said its as slow as i am reporting..but i am the only one on dial up..

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2006 at 3:27 PM

hi hon, I didn't think you were harsh at all...it's just frustrating to not be able to enjoy the place as we once could, right? That's why I get so grumpy about this! I'm on high-speed cable and I guess it's faster for me than it is for you on dial-up...so I think you have more to complain about than I do. LOL. But R'osity is still the slowest place that I visit...which is why I only rarely do visit. Take care, Bill

vikinglady ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2006 at 5:33 PM

thinking

I agree with both of you. I have not had as fast a loading time as before the php conversion started. I am on Comcast cable, it is supposed to be one of the fastest on the planet. Only one other .com gives me the same slowness, its my webmail site.

thinking

FlyByNight ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2006 at 12:34 PM

Even with cable, Comcast here as well, the other day it was so slow to load anything here I just left. And those days seem to be happening more often of late.

And as for multiple comments, my problem is that I forget that there might be another page to go to and miss comments that way. It would be nice to have the option to view all comments or not.

FlyByNight

Lyne ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 12:21 AM

The speed is really off and on...and STILL goes slower the more visitors on line...when there are 2000 I pretty much go away and that includes the market...and to be honest I "only shop when I HAVE to" these days, when the product is not somewhere else... stuff has stayed in my wish list a LONG time...(and I just cleaned that out - deleting not buying).... as I said in an earlier post...I think there are just too many bells and whistles taking up bandwidth.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 11:35 AM

Lyne wrote:

Quote - ...as I said in an earlier post...I think there are just too many bells and whistles taking up bandwidth.

I completely agree with you, Lyne. While I DO believe there is an underlying problem of insufficient server capacity, the situation was made worse with all the extra "glitz" added by the programmers when the conversions were made...it was veritable playground, I think. People can agree or disagree whether the bells & whistles look nice or are "fun"...but there's no denying that they suck up bandwidth.

One simple example is adding people's avatars all over the place...sure many people may think that's nice...not uncommon on other sites...but do we need it in the comments section of the galleries? That adds alot to the load...could we REALLY afford (speed-wise) that "enhancement"?? But that's just one example...it's happening everywhere on the site...fancy pop-ups, extra pagination in the galleries & forums (resulting in more page calls), hyper-customization options, etc, etc.

I'm not a coding expert by any means, so I'll just take it at face value that it's true that conversion to php would produce speed improvements...that's what we were told last Fall. But I think any speed gains that might have been attainable were mostly overrun by the added glitz & tricks. What is it people say...Sometimes, LESS IS MORE.

Stacey says that after the conversion is complete they'll address the speed issues...I hope that doesn't mean they're going to start limiting what members/customers can do...less gallery uploads, smaller filesizes, (Fill In The Blank)...rather than fixing the fundamental problems. Frankly, it's hard for me to believe they're going to start removing the bells & whistles after touting how great they are.

Yotna ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 11:54 AM

Quote -  

Stacey says that after the conversion is complete they'll address the speed issues...I hope that doesn't mean they're going to start limiting what members/customers can do...less gallery uploads, smaller filesizes, (Fill In The Blank)...rather than fixing the fundamental problems. Frankly, it's hard for me to believe they're going to start removing the bells & whistles after touting how great they are. 

Well I hope what they mean is that the speed issues are temporary due to the changes currently being undertaken. Comments are importnat to us all, but maybe less back patting from the 'usual suspects' would help. Genuine crtiques and suggestions only?

OK now to go against that straight away; I have been to your website and it's cool...

:-) Do as I say not as I do LOL

TallPockets ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:40 AM

Bill: You are not alone, sadly, my good man. This has been an issue for YEARS at this most wonderful site. (see Sloooow post thread also here).

I ran a few businesses in my day. LORD knows, there are MANY others who are MUCH smarter.

However, I am astounded that NO ONE here in 'management' positions ever seem to have an 'estimated' answer as to WHEN this beloved, new and improved 'changeover' will occur?

In my past business dealings, I cannot imagine telling any customer/user of my business any such 'empty' reply. They would be long gone. SIGH.

DEAR RENDEROSITY: Is there ONE of you kind souls here who KNOWS and can RELATE the 'estimated' date of completion to the changeover for ALL the most wonderful artists, members and viewers here?

Note: Just in case someone attempts to tell me to clean out my cache, cookies, etc., please, don't. I did. I do. Always if I have problems with this wonderful site.

I also now have 'broadband' at $70.00 a MONTH in the country. Nothing else available.

ALL , I kindly repeat, ALL the other sites I visit on MY same computer PRIOR and IMMEDIATELY after visiting this most wondeful site, run FAST.

You guys/gals are unbelievable. You should be in 'politics', not 'business'.

Yours in NO patience.

As respectfully as I can,

TallPockets.

TallPockets ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:42 AM

The Three Most Abused Phrases:

(1) "The check's in the mail" ....

(2) "The dog won't bite" ....

NOTE: I'm too much of a gentleman to say # 3.

TallPockets ....

SOON to be a GREAT writer!

LOL. WINK.

TallPockets ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:46 AM

jumpstartme2:

Hello, kind soul ....

YOU have ALWAYS been 'honest' with me and others here ....

May I most kindly ask YOU what YOU know or have been told by higher ups as to MY and OTHERS' questions and comments regarding this subject?

Thanks, in advance, for any/all help ....

NOTE: IM or EMAIL me IF you feel you cannot honestly post in this open thread.

TallPockets

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 9:16 AM

TallPockets,

We can't give you a firm date on the conversion completion because with all the data to be converted and all the things that can come up during this, it would be very very difficult to say XX number of days. I can tell you that its getting close to time for us to shut down the other side (.ez) but even then things will still be ongoing.  My ESTIMATION and please understand that this is MY VIEWS only, I would say another week or two and the tutorials will convert which will take care of all the major pieces. Once tutorials come over then the .ez side should close down and we will be behind the scenes working on webring, sponsors, sub communities, etc.

TallPockets ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 9:54 AM · edited Wed, 06 September 2006 at 9:57 AM

StaceyG: Thank you for your information. I realize you have a job to do. I wasn't asking for a 'firm' date. If an 'estimated' date cannot even be given, it would hardly be expected by anyone to have a 'firm' date. LOL. SIGH.

In this day of 'technology', I just have to tell you, kind soul, since you 'represent' this most wonderful site, that it is simply beyond belief to this old geezer that your 'technical' experts who are doing all this conversion, etc., could NOT give YOU some credible, estimated information ALL ALONG to pass on to THE VALUABLE MEMBERS.

In ALL the MANY years of managing companies, I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER seen such poor P/R (Public Relations) at work. SIGH.

My utmost apologies for the CAPS above. I think, given the LONG, arduous lack of information, stumbles and bumbles, the ''we'll fix that problem if/when it comes up'' attitude and lack of 'planning' I and many others have seen at this wonderful site, I suppose the CAPS are the BEST "I" can do. SMILE.

It also bugs me, to no end, as well as MANY others, whenever your staff members would make statements like, "Well, MY computer is running just fine". LOL. Even when MANY told your staff that ALL the OTHER sites visited were FINE!

I, and MANY others, await the eventual due date of completion. I hope I do get to see it before the next passing of Haleys Comet. WINK.

PEACE to you and yours.

BTW: While I was attempting to 'simmer down' from my first original post a few hours ago, I had this terrible thought: QUESTION: Is it for CERTAIN, that when this 'conversion' is DONE, that it WILL, indeed, run FASTER??? LOL.

GOD bless you and yours,

TallPockets.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 10:15 AM

Well, good luck to everyone...

this is clearly just a waste of our breath to go through this endless exercise with the admins here...I, for one, am too tired of it all...I've been lingering around while hanging on to a fraying strand of hope that things would improve...but it's just hopeless and just too damn frustrating...You can hear it in the all too familiar words from the PTB...been there, done that...

just one final disappointment...and Stacey, you're in luck...one less voice giving you a hard time...

peace & love to you all...Jen  :unsure:

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 12:25 PM

Cliff-dweller,

I understand your frustration, truly I do.  I wish I could magically make everyone happy but unfortunately I don't have the "magic" power to make that happen. I'm doing everything I can, I promise you that.

Unicornst ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 6:49 PM

Quote - Cliff-dweller,

I understand your frustration, truly I do.  I wish I could magically make everyone happy but unfortunately I don't have the "magic" power to make that happen. I'm doing everything I can, I promise you that.

Stacey, we all here know this. But we also know that you alone do not run this site nor do you do the programming for it. What you get to do is to relay the massages from those who do run the site and who do the programming. Unfortunately, you are our only link to them. I say this because it's getting rare to see any of them on threads like this anymore. Not even to give the standard pat answer we, the users of the site, have heard a million times before. 

USERS: Site is still very slow? Why?
PROGRAMMERS: Runs like lighting for me. Must be your end.

USERS: I'm not getting my ebots correctly. Why?
PROGRAMMERS: Must be going into your spam or it's your ISP. We've fixed that already and we get them just fine.

USERS: I thought there were supposed to be improvements to the site, but things have gotten worse. Why?
PROGRAMMERS: There will be improvements as soon as the total conversion is complete. We just can't give you an estimated time frame for that.

Do you see the pattern? Renderosity has more than a few people asking the same questions on a daily basis practically and they are getting the same answers each and every time. Personally, I think I would like someone to change the record.

A front page poll was asked for and one person that works for Renderosity thought it a good idea. We can only assume by it's non-appearance that others at Renderosity didn't think it a good idea.

One page comments under gallery postings have been asked for and that was completely ignored in this thread. Not even addressed. Tsk, Tsk.

You want the "magic" to make everyone happy? Change the record. Start having these issues addressed directly by the programmers here. And be honest with us, the users. If the programmers say it's going to take another year, then tell us so we know what to expect. And stop hiding the complaints under the fairy dust of "Everything is fine. Must be your end."

Want to know the site speed on my end? I have two computers. One on dial-up and one on DSL. Guess what? I can load a page on the dial-up end almost as fast as the one on the DSL. I think there's like a 5 second difference. That's pretty bad.

Renderosity users do have intelligence. And they use it. Perhaps someone at Renderosity should pay attention to the suggestions made.

Now a message just for you, Stacey. You, personally, are great. You listen and you do what you can for the users. You stay calm and even coax up a smile or two. But, darlin'.... you are just one person. So none of this is addressed directly to you and you alone. I hope you know that.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 8:14 PM

Okay I feel ya Unicornst:) 

I tell you all what, I will print off this entire thread and take it to the programmers and go over each question/issue here and do my best to get you all information back.  Just give me a day or two because I will be taking 1/2 a vacation day tomorrow as I have a child support hearing I desperately need to be at and I won't be in the office at all until Friday but I will get back in here I promise.

The programmers really don't frequent the forums that much is why they aren't in here answering. They are so tied up these days that they just can't follow everything in the forums so I have to be the messenger here...

Thank you all

Unicornst ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 10:09 PM

Funny..... didn't realize there was a reply to this cause I never received an ebot letting me know. Checked my mail just before coming in here and after seeing you replied, checked it again and nope...still no ebot.

Stacey, thank you. I know you are the messenger and you make a wonderful liason, as I already said. I also don't expect the programmers to respond each and every time (I don't believe others do either) but once in awhile would be nice and it would be nice to hear something other than how great everything is when it's obvious that it isn't for others here.

I'll be anxious to hear what they have to say as I am sure others are as well.

Oh yeah...checked email again and still no ebot. grin I know, I know....that's another thread. LOL

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 12:19 AM

Thank you Stacey....I won't "unsubscribe" yet then....will wait a few days....

Primal ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 1:15 PM

The site is getting slower and slower as the days go by...i have been timing my movements here since before i started complaining and it now takes twice as long to do everything here..there are definetly some major problems..I go elsewere and have timed my actions..and there is very little change..it fluctuates alittle with the other sites but this site is just slowing to a stop..!it took a full 4 minutes to get to page 3 of comments..and getting to profiles and other site stuff is almost imposible...and i noticed my profile and picture is missing from my profile page also..i recently used my daughters computer and there is no difference in performance...My patience is wearing thin..To me this site was an amazing place that i could show other artists my work and look at other artists work and ask questions and get answers..i have made dozens of friends here and now feel that i have abbandon them due to not having enough time to deal with looking and commenting..This was the one site that i didnt feel some kind of limitation to my work.but after this half my friends have left or have a bad taste from the distancing the site problems are causing..(no ebots,slow motion,over such a long period)Site mail also is another way slow feature with multiple pages...i have a family and a job and apperntly no time for rendo.If it changes i will sure be back, but as it is, it is a hassle to deal with.and thats not what i came here for.

TallPockets ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 4:12 AM

BTW: While I was attempting to 'simmer down' from my first original post a few hours ago, I had this terrible thought: QUESTION: Is it for CERTAIN, that when this 'conversion' is DONE, that it WILL, indeed, run FASTER??? LOL.

GOD bless you and yours,

TallPockets.

(copied/pasted from my earlier, above entry).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.