Fri, Sep 20, 4:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:25 pm)

Subject: DAZ Studio to Poser 5 Conversion

shg0816 ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 11:21 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 5:53 PM

Greetings again,

I know you can import characters/projects you created in Poser 5 in to Daz Studio, but is there a way to import a person/object you created in DAZ Studio 1.03 (or whatever the latest version is) into Poser 5?

Thanks

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 2:14 AM

Congratulations, you've just found the catch to D/S :-)

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 6:22 AM

Its a case of give and take. Poser generously allows its files to be used in other applications including DAZ Studio. DAZ Studio does not return the curtesy.

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 7:18 AM

It's not only courtesy, but has to do wuth maturity and reasons for creating an application.

Poser has been created with the user in mind, to give them a tool to use characters (and much more) in their creations, regardless of which tool the final work will be rendered in. Poser is a mature application and has earned it's place in the 3D world.

D/S on the other had was not created with the user in mind, neither to earn it's place in the 3D world. D/S has been created with one thing in mind only.... for DAZ to sell more content. You can argue that all you want, but the main difference between Poser and D/S (like the exporting issues and D/S holding on to P4 features) clearly show that. It's clear to see that DAZ wants to bind the users of D/S to themselves, they claim total ownership of the user, by only allowing them to export the their own other applications (like Bryce) and prevent them from making the transition to Poser (or other applications not owned by DAZ) if they wish to do so.

Once you decide that D/S is not for you, for whatever reason, you've got only one options..... redo all of your work.

Free has it's price....... but you warn as long as you want, people will not listen.

Whatever you do, stay clear of D/S and just go with Poser.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....

shg0816 ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 9:54 AM

Thank you everyone!

One of the reason I kept Daz for as long as I have is the size of the files of something I created. I was okay with a 3MB file, but I DID lose quality with it.

However, after using Poser 5 and the materials section, I do like Poser more. The only draw back I found with Poser is that the files for a character/object are a lot larger than I would prefer.

But after hearing all of your responses, it's time to dump Daz Studio (fortunately, I have all my libraries in Poser)

Guess that means it's time to buy a new computer with TONS of space :thumbupboth:

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 11:10 AM

you're not likely to find many objective evaluations of D|S here..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 11:18 AM

Well to redress the balance can someone please post a list of what plug-ins are now available for DAZ Studio and their price? I've lost track.

Thanks

Boggy49 ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 12:20 PM

In other words, it is not possible to export my DAZ Victoria 3 character and all the other related stuff into Poser 5?

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 12:26 PM

Quote - In other words, it is not possible to export my DAZ Victoria 3 character and all the other related stuff into Poser 5?

Afraid not.  You will just have to dig out your original DAZ .exe files and re-install them
into your Poser runtime.  (Hopefully you saved them somewhere.)
And if you have created specific characters in DAZ Sudio,
you will have to attempt to re-create them in Poser.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 2:01 PM · edited Fri, 15 September 2006 at 2:02 PM
Online Now!

Free Poser format exporter will save regular poses and morph poses, PoseWorks Mat file script will write basic (Poser 4/propack plus displacement if used) surface information, all of which can be sued to rebuild the scene. Lights and cameras can't be exported, and of course Poser won't let you apply any poses to unparented props (but you could, if positioning is important, export those as OBJ files using the Poser preset since they don't have any joint information to lose). edit: there's a sticky in the D|S Freepozitory on the DAZ forums with links to those scripts.

danfarr ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 3:37 PM · edited Fri, 15 September 2006 at 3:40 PM

Hello,

I thought I would jump in and answer a few questions explaining this from the DAZ perspective. DAZ has never made a strategic decision not to allow exporting of scene information to be importable into Poser. The only reason that possibility is not available today is that it is a nearly impossible task for us to do it without having full access to the Poser file format. In reality, there is only limited public information about the Poser format. We have spent a lot of development efforts to be able to read Poser formatted content and still have some areas where we can only approximate and not 100% accurate. This problem becomes exaggerated if we tried to export those files again to the Poser format. We have come about as far as we can without there being more public information on the format.

DAZ Studio has one of the more open and detailed SDK’s that it publicly available for free. Our intention with DAZ Studio is to be open and to be compatible with other 3D software applications. We currently have an .FBX exporter and have joined the Khronos open format group supporting the Collada format for creating a more open opportunity for the exchange of content between other 3D applications. (http://www.khronos.org/members/contributors/).  

As an additional note, we are in the later stage development of rigging tools that will allow for rigging within DAZ Studio that could then be exported for use within Poser. These tools are very powerful and will allow people to accomplish some things that they haven’t been able to before. Because we still don’t have a perfect representation of the Poser format, there may be some slight differences between bends etc. in DAZ Studio to Poser.

We strongly believe that the success of DAZ lies heavily on having an open development environment for our models and software that is supported by a large community. We are of relatively limited resources and realize that we can not nor do not want to try to do it all ourselves.

I hope this helps give a little of our perspective on things.

Sincerely,

Dan Farr

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 6:49 PM

Quote - Well to redress the balance can someone please post a list of what plug-ins are now available for DAZ Studio and their price? I've lost track.

Thanks

FBX Plug-in for DAZ|Studio - $99.95

pwSurface - $27.95

D-Form Plugin - $19.95

Morph Loader - $9.95

pwCatch - $9.95

Align Ace - $9.95

Finder - $14.95

pwGhost - $9.95

Pantomime - $39.95

Parameters Organizer - $7.95

Hand Grip - $14.95

pwPuzzler - $4.95

And still noting that will run your most excellant python Scripts.

Cheers

DR

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 6:50 PM

Quote - Its a case of give and take. Poser generously allows its files to be used in other applications including DAZ Studio. DAZ Studio does not return the curtesy.

How true it is.

DR

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

wdupre ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 7:42 PM

Quote - > Quote - Its a case of give and take. Poser generously allows its files to be used in other applications including DAZ Studio. DAZ Studio does not return the curtesy.

How true it is.

DR

Sorry how has anyone at Efrontiers made any effort to help poser files be opened by any other software in recent years? And who said that DAZ doesnt allow other software to open their files, considering that DAZ offers their SDK to be used by anyone who applies for it, means that there is no hinderance for other software to create importers to open DAZ studio files. The ability of other software to open Poser files is through the sweat and tears of outside programmers who took the time to come up with ways to translate the poser file structure to their own, all without an SDK availible to them. Ask Kuroyume0161 how much help EFronteers was in producing his excellent Interposer Pro. And the proof is right in Dan Farr's statement above that DAZ has every intention of providing a method to export D|S files to poser. Not just waiting around for other software to be developed to do so but to do it themselves.

tekn0m0nk ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 9:12 PM

What makes you think that any app has some kind of obligation to 'play nice' with any other app ? All apps have prop. file formats that they dont expose to anyone else, you cant open MAX files in Maya, you cant open LW files in XSI, you cant open Blender files in Wings... So why exactly should you be able to open D|S files in poser ? What the app is supposed to do is support open file formats like FBX or pointoven or COLLADA and import/export to those so that any app that supports them can use the content. And D|S is the only poserish app that does this. Our good ol poser OTOH supports no such format and people have to actually reverse engineer the pz format and write custom plugins for the damn thing.

Real generous isnt it ?

Valandar ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 9:23 PM

As for the Poser format, almost everything known about it outside the owning company at the time has come from the community, hacking the code and seeing what does what. It was the community that developed MAT poses, morph injection, ERC (including Joint Controlled Morphs and Easypose), and a host of other features peole take for granted nowadays.

NOT the company 'generously letting people know about it'.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 1:43 AM

Dan,

I thought the D/S Scripting was freely available and the SDK had an up-front cost.

D/S Scene files are binary.  Are there any plans to allow the writing of text editor readable versions as can be written for Poses, MATs and the like from DAZ Studio?  Surely, that would help Studio be even more "open".

One of the big differences here is that since Poser files are in essence "text files" it's easy to read through them and see what makes them tick.  You can't do the same with binary DAZ files (as in scenes).  So yeah, um, Poser files (from hair to cr2s to the .obj's themselves) are all exposed already and allowing for all those hacks and tweaks to be made in the first place.  And apparently enough is known about them to allow import into Studio, Vue, Carrara and other applications.

Just my buck-fitty.

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 7:23 AM

What a simplistic views (sorry to say so), but the plugins of Vue and Carrara are not dependend upon all these user hacks and such at all. I know for a fact that the Vue ones were created in coörperation wuth Curious Labs and later E-Frontier. So have the Carrara plugins.

You've giving the 'hackers' way to much credit and EF way to less credit.

Food for thought.....

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 10:06 AM

Never said they were.  I said that the text file format of Poser files is easy to decipher by its very nature.  It's irrelevant if they had assistance or not.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 11:07 AM

Quote - I thought I would jump in and answer a few questions explaining this from the DAZ perspective. DAZ has never made a strategic decision not to allow exporting of scene information to be importable into Poser. The only reason that possibility is not available today is that it is a nearly impossible task for us to do it without having full access to the Poser file format. In reality, there is only limited public information about the Poser format. We have spent a lot of development efforts to be able to read Poser formatted content and still have some areas where we can only approximate and not 100% accurate. This problem becomes exaggerated if we tried to export those files again to the Poser format. We have come about as far as we can without there being more public information on the format.

So your saying that you made a decision not to work with CL and now EF.  Or at least buy licenses for newer versions of poser in which the text file format is right there for you to read.

Quote -DAZ Studio has one of the more open and detailed SDK’s that it publicly available for free. Our intention with DAZ Studio is to be open and to be compatible with other 3D software applications. We currently have an .FBX exporter and have joined the Khronos open format group supporting the Collada format for creating a more open opportunity for the exchange of content between other 3D applications. (http://www.khronos.org/members/contributors/).  

For the one time fee of $995. You charge just like everyone else does.  Claim that you can't get Poser sdk because you won't pay for or agree to their terms would at least be honest.

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=34781&sid=2c28f32e1eb09068e4d264b365b78aeb

Quote -As an additional note, we are in the later stage development of rigging tools that will allow for rigging within DAZ Studio that could then be exported for use within Poser. These tools are very powerful and will allow people to accomplish some things that they haven’t been able to before. Because we still don’t have a perfect representation of the Poser format, there may be some slight differences between bends etc. in DAZ Studio to Poser.

Let's all cheer for soon. 

Now for the total price of the plugins without discounts:  $270.40, this goes to at least $390 after they eventually stop offering Bryce 5 for free but otherwise with Bryce 5.5 upgrade  it is $290.40.  Unless you choose to stick with 5 then it's 300.35 to add turbo to make it a plugin.  Of course who knows what the new rigging or bryce 6 will cost when soon happens.

Now let's talk Poser.  $149...which includes the what your plugins do plus more, with the exception of Bryce.  But then you can add vue d'esprit which will import poser with mover for $348 but the price gets dropped if you wait for vue d'espirit 6 which includes mover which will import dynamics for $199.  Again this is without discounts.

So to have all of Dazstudio with Bryce with no discounts 390.00 not counting the coming soons which don't have a price for.

To have more than Daz studio with landscaping ahead of bryce, ie Poser and vue d'esprit:  Currently $497.   Soon:  $348 en total.

All of this information can be found on:

http://daz3d.com

http://e-frontier.com

http://e-onsoftware.com

poser sdk pricing n/a.

Tirjasdyn

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 12:26 PM · edited Tue, 19 September 2006 at 12:35 PM

Or do as I do very often.... just create landscapes from within Poser 6. It's often overlooked, but P6 can create stunning landscapes with the help of tools like MicroCosm and Terraformers.

I'm working on a project that involves quite some landscaping and all is done in P6. I've got Carrara 5 and Bryce 5, but I'm a bit tired of all the importing and exporting. So decided to do it all in P6 and works great.

DAZ Studio has one of the more open and detailed SDK’s that it publicly available for free.

That's not correct and you know it..... Only the DAZ/Script portion is free, if you want the real thing, the plugin SDK, then you're paying a a license fee. With Poser you get the use of Python Scripts for free, so you're even.

I've never did fancy D/S, the base is way to limited and as Tirjasdyn explained, with the needed plugins to get it on par with Poser 6 (which it still will not be at all, not even close to P5), you're paying way more then you'll ever pay for Poser.

As an additional note, we are in the later stage development of rigging tools that will allow for rigging within DAZ Studio that could then be exported for use within Poser.

At what price, that is the main question......

I once predicted that to get the D/S as good as Poser, it's going to cost you around $500. Most people laughed..... but we're already halfway through by now. I'm glad I never made the complete switch and seeing what D/S costs these days I'm very happy I decided to stick with Poser.

Food for thought.....

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 12:52 PM

Providing that I have read that DAZ forum post correctly .....

To be fair you get the $995 back once you have generated that amount in the 50/50 commissions if selling via the DAZ store. So it is free.

Consider the two scenarios whereby the plug in developer either sells through DAZ or their own store. Having a more or less frequented site is immaterial, I am just going through the maths to show that the SDK is free.

Developer wants to create a plug in for DAZ Studio and pays out the $995

Once the total sales received by DAZ for the plug in reaches $1990 the developer gets their $995 back. If they do not achieve that level of sales they forfeit the SDK fee, they are out to the tune of $995

But if the developer were to sell via their own store and not have had to put up $995 they would have made $1990. Half the sales.... $1000. No sales zero ... but at no time can they expect a loss to the tune of $995

So you see the SDK is free...................
its just that it could end up costing you $995

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 1:29 PM

Well, I don't fancy this concept of free.  This is a "pay-for" scenario.  The developer pays $1000 (let's just round up and be done with it) and then is re-imbursed if a certain quota is met.  That doesn't sound like the "free" I am familiar with.

From what I calculated, it takes a little over $60 to get the basic D/S plugins.  Approx $118 with Pantomine and Hand Grip.  Approx $171 adding Poseworks plugins (which are very nice BTW) and up to approx  $271 if you feel you need the FBX plugin.

I can only speculate that the rigging tools might run from $20-30 retail, from what D-Form is priced at.

Personally, I like DAZ Studio.  However, I like Poser (6) much more.  I think it's a real shame that there is a big dividing line now between Studio users and Poser users.  But from the nature of the thing we all saw this coming.  I have made a noble (?) effort to try and get my products to work in Studio for those users.

I just hope that DAZ will continue to make strides in getting more Poser compatibility in there (Scaling, Joint System) to facilitate the users wishing to incorporate Poser content.  JCM controls were fixed when it seemed hopeless at one point, so I feel it's possible.  There's only so much I can do as a content creator. ;)

I think the rigging tools will be a boon, but frankly I don't see me re-rigging a hundred products (or whathaveyou) to work natively in DAZ Studio.  However, if there is a way for end users to re-distribute the rigs without passing along the .obj or texture files, I'd welcome anyone who'd like to re-rig my content for DAZ Studio and I'd be glad to host it, to boot.

Anyways, afternoon to all of you and I was glad to be a part of the discussion :)

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 1:48 PM

Umm ... saying that you have to buy every single D|S plugin to calculate D|S's cost isn't fair unless you do that for Poser as well.

Olivier's ART MATERIALS Vol.1 : Cartoon Shaders - $45
Olivier's Art Materials Vol.2: Dry Shaders - $45
BodyStudio C4D Plugin - $179
BodyStudio 3DS Max Plugin - $179
BodyStudio Maya Plugin - $179
Kuroyume0161's interPoser Pro for C4D R9.1 Full - $122

Hmm ... Now Poser is $898 ($719 if you don't get the BodyStudio C4D plugin since you have Kuroyume0161's C4D plugin) and that's with only a few of the Poser plugins out there. 

Should I toss in Virtual Fashion, Poser Physics, Wardrobe Wizard, Clothing Converter, etc.?  That puts Poser well over $1000.

I'm not saying that D|S has all the features of Poser, but if you're going to put in pwShader as a D|S cost then you should put in Olivier's Shaders as a Poser cost because they're roughly equivalent in functionality - both add to the render effects of their respective programs.  If you're going to include the FBX importer (which Poser doesn't have) as a manditory D|S cost then you should put in at least one 3rd party importer as a manditory Poser cost. 

Some people don't have any need for any of the D|S plugins.  The free base does just what they want.  Their cost is $0.  Others need plugins, so their cost is more than $0 but not necessarily $270.  On the opposite side, some people don't need all the stuff in Poser but they still pay the same as those who use all the features.  I use only 2 of the 7 rooms.  I sure didn't pay $42 (2/7th of $149) for my version of Poser.  I'm not griping about it, just pointing out that it's a matter of perspective.

That's my 2 cents on the matter,

Cres

Fazzel ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 1:58 PM

Wouldn't you have to pay for Art Materials, Body Studio, interPoser,
Virtual Fashion for DAZ studio too, assuming you could get a version
that worked with DAZ Studio?
I think the list of plug-ins for DAZ studio was just to get it up to the point
that DAZ Studio would do the same things the base version of Poser will do.
The idea is that to bring DAZ Studio up to the level that it can do what Poser
can do, DAZ Studio will cost you more money, not that there is a whole lot
more plug-ins available for Poser than there is for DAZ Studio.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 2:18 PM
Online Now!

By the function calls, I think most at least of what you would need for a CR2 exporter is in the scripting SDK (but I don't know enough about scripting or CR2s to be sure). Of course you'd have to create or point to the OBJ file to finish the job, which would be a bit more effort if you were using an item that came in a .daz file (such as the D|S free base content).

If I wanted to get Jesuitical I could point out that the fee for the SDK is for Trolltech (as I recall if you already have a Qt development licence you don't need to pay for the SDK) but of course money paid out is money paid out, regardless of who gets it.

As for the topic of the original post, I've already pointed out there are two free scripts which will get your poses, morph settings and partial material settings from D|S to Poser so it isn't a closed box even now, even without paying for plugins.

danfarr ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 2:21 PM

Netherworks, thanks for pointing out my mistake on the SDK. I was wrong in my thinking about how the Studio SDK is currently being deployed. It is currently being bundling with a user license of QT which is the software that is used in the interface and some of the functionality of the software. The fee associated with it is to cover that license. If someone already has a developer license of QT we can get them the SDK for free. I realize this situation creates a big hurdle for most people. When we started DAZ Studio we had discussions with the developers of QT leading to the expectation that we would be able to ship QT for a nominal charge or possibly nothing at all if it were associated with DAZ Studio. As time went on, there were changes in that company personnel that put us in the situation where we have to charge for it. So unfortunately the charge for the SDK is a pass through charge for the QT license that we were unable to get around at this time.

So where does that leave us now? We'll, we have done some very extensive programming to tie the scripting language into almost every bit of functionality of the software. We have heard from several sources that D|S scripting is more extensive than many other applications.  We are still working on opportunities to find additional way to deploy the SDK without the requirements of QT.

I have no intention of turning this discussion into a DAZ Studio v. Poser topic and in fact, I will not engage in discussions on that topic. My response was directed specifically to the inferences that DAZ Studio is a closed application. My points were not intended to be argumentative but only informative. I hope that my tone reflected that. Poser is actually one of DAZ's top resell items in our store and I do not want to disparage it in any way. In fact, as many of you know, Poser and DAZ Studio both have issues of credibility to overcome among some of the "Professional 3D communities" and I don't think that it helps either group to foster negativity towards the other.  Both programs do a fantastic job of empowering people to be creative and have fun doing it.  

Sincerely,

Dan Farr

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 2:25 PM

I calculated the plugins it would take to get DS near to the level that poser is at and I threw in landscaping.  Now if you want to take Poser further than DS will reach in the near future.  Sure.  It could cost that.

Free and low cost are relative.  But it's not the happy candy land of we're the poor little guy DAZ seems to want us to believe.

PWsurface adds a shader system to studio that of which poser already has.  Artmaterials are shaders one could do themselves in poser if the person learned out to do so.  That's a big difference.

Quote - Umm ... saying that you have to buy every single D|S plugin to calculate D|S's cost isn't fair unless you do that for Poser as well.

Cres

Tirjasdyn

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 2:32 PM

Thank you for the clarification on the price of the SDK.

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 2:59 PM

No, I don't think there should be a D/S vs Poser discussion either, again both programs have their merits and once there is a point that you can slip from one into the other, the users of both programs "win". ;)  Sometimes I like to use D/S pantomine to pose and then convert the results for use in Poser - that sort of thing.  Why not use the (perceived) strengths to facilitate what you're doing?  I am.

Forgive me if I'm incorrect but pwShader is a shader "system" which adds functionality.  Oliver's shaders use an existing system already present in Poser 6.  pwGhost adds functionality to D/S also.  I have these but have not had the time to play that I'd like too :)

It isn't fair game at all to list import/export plugins.  I wouldn't consider FBX an must-have for DAZ Studio.  I doubt most users would get anything out of it.  Nor would the Poser users that don't have Cinema, Maya and/or 3DS plugs.  Frankly I wouldn't have use for any of them even though I am a C4D user and that's according to how I use C4D (purely as a modeler).

I completely agree with you Dan, both Poser and DAZ Studio have hurdles to get past with regards to industry perception.  That's going to take shrinking the "swelled heads" as more and more industry level 3D applications become affordable to a hobbiest or personal level market, and that's been slowly happening over the last few years.  Poser and D/S need to share some thanks in making that happen, along with packages that are wallet friendly like Silo, Amorphium Pro and several apps sold by both DAZ and efrontier.

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 4:24 PM

Poser and DAZ Studio both have issues of credibility to overcome among some of the "Professional 3D communities"

I doubt that will ever happen. Poser and D/S not being credible in those circles, is not only due to the applications, but a lot of it's loss of credibility is due to the poser & D/S community at large and what they create with the applications. Usage has given both of the applications a bad name. Now I do know a lot of people will not agree with me, we had the discussion before. But that will not change the way these pro's think.

As long as the community at large cannot proof that Poser & D/S can be used for serious matters, the lack of credibilty will not change.

Food for thought.....

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 6:43 PM

Quote - Poser and DAZ Studio both have issues of credibility to overcome among some of the "Professional 3D communities"

It may happen. Vue also has its origins in the hobbyist department, and now it's being used by ILM for major movie productions - definitely professional use.

Much depends on how Poser and D|S develop. Though the "virtual Barbie doll" reputation doesn't really help acceptance in the pro world. By their very nature it'll be virtually impossible to get rid of that reputation.

By the way, Poser / D|S is being used in professional ways, for example in reconstructing crime scenes.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

billy423uk ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 8:10 PM

i don't think it's a purely 3d pro view. i think many pro' and non pro modellers alike  percieve d/s and poser to be little more than an etch a sketch or dress up dolly for the majority of users. note i said majority....some (for me anyway ) do create real art with them.......why do i now have an image of every poser and d/s user thinking.......he means me with that last sentence lol

billy

SophiD ( ) posted Wed, 20 September 2006 at 7:46 AM

wow.... all that for a simple question...

I like both applications... Happen to use D|S more because of the simplicity of  design and the fact that it doesn't take hours to load. Granted, you have to pay for the plugins, but really it depends on what you want. I've purchased a number of plugins for DAZ but find that the most useful ones for me are PWSurface, PWCatch, Handgrip, D-Form, Parameters Organiser,  and Finder alongside some freebies.
I like Poser for the way materials are handled (eventhough baffling at first) and for dynamic hair & clothing (although i rarely use them...). Also FIREFLY is a great render engine (to the exclusion of raytraced shadows looking weird - grainy...). But mostly...  for face_off's  plugins for skin and ambient occlusion. Poser is packed with features, it's true, and the learning curve isn't easy, but wonders can be achieved in BOTH applications with a bit of patience, persistence and vision...

At the end of the day... I don't think it matters what applications you use, it's your imagination that will allow you to be creative. Limitations can be overcome.

You can always export the whole scene in OBJ and import it into Poser...

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 20 September 2006 at 10:24 AM

Umm.. is it me, or are most files in DAZ|Studio now saveable as text files? Not scenes, granted, or files from unreleased plugins perhaps, but scene files, light files, pose files - these can all be saved as text files that could be examined and interpreted much like Poser text-based files were.

I dislike and mistrust the binray nature of many of the DAZ files, but it ISN'T quite as closed a shop as it once was, even ignoring the free scripting (which goes beyond what Python can do for Poser in at least some ways) or the commercial SDK (it's a pay-for option in my book).

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 20 September 2006 at 1:02 PM

Quote - You can always export the whole scene in OBJ and import it into Poser

Actually, that's funny. The 3Delight render engine employted by DAZ|Studio is VERY capable. It's just that D|S lacks the features to really make use of the render engine.

3Delight can be downloaded as a standalone render engine, and I ran into a Python script that can export a Poser scene preparing it for rendering using 3Delight. Haven't tried it yet, but I have seen some awesome 3Delight renders.

So going the other way around - exporting the Poser scene so that it can be rendered using the 3Delight render engine - would be a more logical option.

Importing a D|S option into Poser is useful if you want to take advantage of Poser's materials and polygon smoothing capabilities. Then you might even consider exporting it again to take advantage of the 3Delight render engine!

As things stand now, I have the impression that Poser pushes Firefly to its limits, while DAZ|Studio can grow a lot more before 3Delight gets into trouble.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 5:11 AM

Any smart person, pro or amateur is going to look at what an application can do for them - not what someone else is doing with it. You use what get's the job done. I suspect other factors, stability, 3rd part support, ease of integration with other applications have more to do with it than anything else - for the smart person. There are always some who allow the irrevelant to sway them.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 10:24 AM

y'know..I've only used the program 3-4 times (usually right after an upgrade), but you can point to Poser folders and import things in just fine (in fact, I think the setup asks you that..but it's been awhile). So that could help.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

who3d ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 11:40 AM

That won't do much to convert DAZ|Studio files to Poser 5 files though, will it?

AprilYSH ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 12:08 PM

Quote - Poser generously allows its files to be used in other applications including DAZ Studio. DAZ Studio does not return the curtesy

Hmm, is this thread suggesting that DAZ do something about writing out Poser format files? For example be able to save cr2, pz2, etc? 

Well, as far as I know they may not do that for legal reasons, not due to lack of courtesy.  Back in Poser 5 release days when DS was still in alpha (iirc) it was asserted by the Curious Labs prez that "We do claim ownership of the formats to a degree that they would be used to create a competitor to Poser."
The quote I make is from:
http://poserpros.daz3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32842#32842

So no go on "competitors" like DAZ writing out Poser format files!

Third party plugins may be able to do something, but DAZ hands are tied... as far as I know.

Also, it seems e-frontier should be quite free to write something for Poser to read DS files, just like DS reads Poser files.

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

who3d ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 2:05 PM

As with the clause(s?) in the V3 EULA that caused a minor riot - and IIRC the Digital Clone EULA - that was modified YEARS ago, and no longer exists in the P5 EULA or the P6 EULA that can be found at:

http://www.e-frontier.com/article/articleview/1491/1/635?sbss=635/

which, to me at least, suggests that it surely cannot be a reason to not support exporting to Poser formats.

I'm also slightly surprised if a company that makes most of its sales from Poser-formatted files cannot, itself, reliably produce Poser-formatted files :?

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 2:20 PM

Quote - Any smart person, pro or amateur is going to look at what an application can do for them - not what someone else is doing with it. You use what get's the job done. I suspect other factors, stability, 3rd part support, ease of integration with other applications have more to do with it than anything else - for the smart person. There are always some who allow the irrevelant to sway them.

This deserves an Amen!

Also, what DAZ does or doesn't do regarding the output of their program (i.e. writing Poser proprietary format) may not be because they don't want Poser users to use it.  What thinking business would do that?  But, maybe, in the future, we'll see a privately made plugin for it.  Who knows?  For now, we work with what we've got ;)

MS

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 5:01 PM · edited Thu, 21 September 2006 at 5:04 PM

Also, keep in mind that the Poser format exporter script in D|S exports ALL morph & pose infomation.  Poser saves natively only face morph and poses in pz2 pose files, correct?  

I'm sure there is a python script or two for Poser that will do that but not natively!   😉  

I really like this script as I can create a new character and then export it from D|S and KNOW it will work as expected in Poser when I apply it to the mesh it was written for!  😄 

We all need & want our scripts (Python or otherwise) in order to really get the most out of our chosen favorite.  Not a bad thing at all.  Some scripts are free others we pay for, no biggie!!

I am an avid DAZ Studio user and trust me, I'm looking forward to this next release.  As there are bugs and flaws in Poser so are there in D|S.  I'm glad that eF now heads Poser's future as there can only be an upwards and onwards movement not the stagnation and poor updates that Poser 5 suffered from.  D|S is a work in progress.  It's not even at version 2 yet, so give it a chance, you might be amazed by version 5 or 6!! 😉

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

who3d ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 5:23 PM

I'm probably a Poser stalwart, but even I'm looking forward to the enxt release of DAZ|Studio :D

Gazukull ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 8:21 PM

One thing that no one has brought up.

DAZ|Studio is multithreaded.  That in itself is almost reason to switch.

DAZ|Studio gets great praise over in the DAZ|Studio forum here on Renderosity.

A ton of Poser users do not use very many of the features. Animation, cloth room, face room, hair room.

That being said, the only reason I have not switched is:

1. my runtime is 6 yrs old, going to a new system is unthinkable at this time.

So E-Frontier guys, please re-write Poser 7 from the ground up and make it multithreaded.

Thx.

• G

RAMWorks ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2006 at 11:40 PM

No, now don't start that again.  Folks KNOW what Poser's up sides and down sides are.  As do D|S users know what D|S's up sides and down sides are. Neither app is perfect but Poser does have D|S over a barrel in many other areas so I say if your curious then give it a try, if you don't like that's fine with me! shrugs  You make your art in your preferred app and I'll make my art in mine!! 😄  ........

multithreading and all!!

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

who3d ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 1:45 AM

D|S is multithreaded now? Last time I looked 3Delight had gained support for multiprocessors, but I thought the main program was still single-core only. Just goes to show...

Gazukull ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 6:19 AM

who3d,

I am thinking you are correct.  The renderer is multithreaded.

-G

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 12:39 PM

Quote - Also, keep in mind that the Poser format exporter script in D|S exports ALL morph & pose infomation.  Poser saves natively only face morph and poses in pz2 pose files, correct?  

No it saves body morphs as well.  Also you can resave a figure to the figure library to save all that morphing you just did.

Poser six include full figure mat poses in the material room.  This  really nice with you add effects to painted mats you want to keep .  Or in my case for saving mat files after I've converted stephanie and david materials for use on aiko and hiro.

Tirjasdyn

RAMWorks ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 1:17 PM

I have Poser 6 and I don't know when saving FBM's natively was implemented but please tell me how!

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

shg0816 ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 2:44 PM

I have to admit, I never thought one of my  topics would get this much response :biggrin: (not tooting my own horn TOO much).

However, I think this is great, because people like me DO like to read what others have to say (pros and cons) about various graphic applications. This allows a neophyte (which I still am), to learn what some of the various limitations within each package are. They can then decide what they can and can't live without.

Thanks everyone!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.