Tue, Sep 24, 2:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Username Change Feature???

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 10:50 PM

Be a little fair about the freestuff. Its true that rosity doesnt host them , but it does cost them in data storage and bandwidth  to host the index and search feature, and they do host the thumbnail and description text .

srnichols ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:03 PM

Quote - Be a little fair about the freestuff. Its true that rosity doesnt host them , but it does cost them in data storage and bandwidth  to host the index and search feature, and they do host the thumbnail and description text .

Yes, I will give them that... but that is not the way that it was represented earlier in the thread.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the services Renderosity provides... but it is not a one way street. Renderosity gets benefit from those freebie postings and other services in traffic flow to the site. Getting people to the site is very important to sales. If people don't come  to the site, they can't buy anything.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:08 PM

just checked the username count again - it's up to 473084. apparently a new username is added to the database every 10 minutes, on average. tends to discount the notion that folks are leaving here in droves over the latest snafu :lol:

anathandra ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:08 PM · edited Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:09 PM

Quote - Getting people to the site is very important to sales. If people don't come to the site, they can't buy anything.

Or change their user names. Neferset

billy423uk ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:17 PM

i think it's called a symbiotic relationship. we the members provide free stuff links and rendo hosts them (the links) and the thumbnails. it also hosts the forums and populates em with mods and admin.  that members give freebies is their personal choice. renod gives an avenue for them to be seen if they wish to do so here. normally i'd get my crossbow out and go hunting but i think what we got was a generalisation. i think everyone knows who makes 99 percent of the freebies. i honestly don't think anyone was trying to get credit or mislead. kinda hard to do when every freebis has to be vetted and carries the makers name. redo hosts the forums and we populate them. hopefully those that populate the forums now and again make a purchase. rendo takes it cut as does the merchant.  all in all i'd say they do a half decent job. for the most part everyone benifits.

like i say, i doubt anyone was really claiming they made all the free stuff. we all put our foot in our mouths now and again with figures of speech....jmho...well spotted though lol

billy

anathandra ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:23 PM

Quote - just checked the username count again - it's up to 473084. apparently a new username is added to the database every 10 minutes, on average. tends to discount the notion that folks are leaving here in droves over the latest snafu :lol:

Not worth laughing. I've been around here a while. I think I had an account I lost the password to from way back. Not just these four years. About as long as you if I can believe the dates on some of the old freebies I have. I felt it was important enough tonight for me to come here and triple my Renderosity posts. That says something, doesn't it? One, that some one chatty as I am at other sites has such a low post count here and another that I'd have to say something now. It isn't just this. I really don't like some of the changes for the store that I've heard about. Makes me want to vote elsewhere with my dollars. Y'all have at. I don't think it's fun anymore. Nef

billy423uk ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:24 PM

thanks stacey.

miss nancy i have to own up...it's me...i have 473,000 accounts...i don't who the other 84 are...sorry make that 473,001 lmao. i know karens ex had 43 accounts hehe...jk karen

billy

srnichols ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:53 PM

Quote - just checked the username count again - it's up to 473084. apparently a new username is added to the database every 10 minutes, on average. tends to discount the notion that folks are leaving here in droves over the latest snafu :lol:

Please note, I am only commenting on the logic of the above statement, not making comments on whether people should or should not maintain their accounts here.

Your logic actually has a few flaws.

1. The count is the total number of accounts, including accounts that haven't been used for a while and accounts that people have just now decided to stop using. There is no way that WE can tell what that previous and future count of inactive accounts will be.

2. Even if people were "leaving in droves" you can't tell from the total number of accounts because the people that are leaving are not deleting their accounts.

3. This latest "snafu" (as you name it) is more than likely not known to these new people  because they are most likely not reading this thread first before creating their account.

Just thought I would point that out.

😉

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 3:12 AM

Quote -  

Deecey,  I will have to check but I don't think we can "merge" different usernames together like that.  I'll ask tomorrow and let you know for sure, k?

Hey, how about a "User Name Change PRO" version, for, say $39.99?

"Manage your multiple clone accounts today with User Name Pro!"

Just a suggestion....

LillianaSapphire ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 4:38 AM

Billy, i dont think its down the somebody at rendo having a good buisness head, its just the fact that a large proportion of regular members and merchants kicked up a fuss and wont put up with riduclous costs. They realised there maybe a problem, and that more members and merchants may leave and pull stores, which alot have been doing, and it has been shown throughout the galleries. Hence why rendo has to now shut up and listen to its members and merchants for once. Which may i add, these people are the soul basis of this site, without them rendo wouldn't be a business!

Regarinding a new member joining every 10 mins, sorry but every time i log in the site only shows at most 2000 members actively posting, or browsing, so even though rendo has alot of members, it doesn't mean that all those members are active contributers does it?

Its like any business, and yes this place is a business, i'd no longer call it a community as such. Rendo needs to start looking after dedicated members who have been here from the start.. its like any business partnership, if somebody has been there, and dedicated for 10yrs or more, you dont tell them to Naff off to welcome in new fresh meat do you? You listen to members and contributers who have been there from the year dot and who have helped make the community what it is. Rendo needs to save that before more dedicated members leave and think "enough is enough"

I have nothing against people personally here, most of the mods, especially LillianH and Angel1 have always been very helpful to me,and i'd like to thank LillianH for giving me and mike the opportunity to promote our magazine here!

I know i went alot off topic but man, this had to be said and was long over due!

Cheers

Anna

ianliddle ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 4:57 AM

Bravo Renderosity for listening to members.

Whilst $10 is still a lot compared to other forums where name changes are free - it's still a LOT better than $24.95.

Thanks for the change guys.

Will be changing my username during the next couple weeks.

I know I dont post much, only when I have a problem or a question but its a valuable community of people. Yeah its a business too, but I find its the members (and admin) that are so helpful wich makes it feel like a community to me.

Sorry - im rambling.

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:42 AM

Quote - Billy, i dont think its down the somebody at rendo having a good buisness head, its just the fact that a large proportion of regular members and merchants kicked up a fuss and wont put up with riduclous costs. They realised there maybe a problem, and that more members and merchants may leave and pull stores,

I know i went alot off topic but man, this had to be said and was long over due!

Cheers

Anna

if the above is true anna then it shows that someone does hav a good business head

as for it not having a community.  i'd say it does. people leave sites like this all the time. specially merchants who think they've found greener pastures.  i dare say some have left other sites and come here for some of the same reasons merchants leave here. i think when a site gets this big the dynamics change. i look in the forums and i see a community thats alive

as for the membership. i agree many probably don't even know their still members here.  you say every time you log on about 2000 members are logged. are they the same 2000 as the previous time you logged on. if 2000 is the given average for any given time they must get an awful lot more than 2000 visiting during the course of a day. jmo

billy

3-DArena ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 8:25 AM · edited Thu, 09 November 2006 at 8:32 AM

As I posted welsewhere on this, it's ridiculous.  They want to charge more to institute a name change than they do to have their orders burned to CD and shipped to them (Which is also a higher cost than elsewhere). (when it was 25.00)

Most other sites do this for free but Renderosity is all about cashing in on whatever the can.  It just says alot about their lack of consideration for their members and potential customers when they charge for what others do as a courtesy.

I still think charging for it - even 10.00 is ridiculous.  Hell at DAZ you can change your public handle for free and merchants can change their store name for free, heck you can even use 2 different names for each.  Most other sites will change it for you and many communities allow you to change your own.

Glad I never did buy bondware if it's so limited.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

moonhawk ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 8:44 AM

I had a legal name change a few years ago that cost me $11.00.  Actual physical paperwork had to pass thru numerous paid employees's hands, from the clerk to the judge.  Then I had to take that paperwork to the Social Security office, the DMV and my bank - more paid employees to handle the paperwork and then to update their electronic records.

That name change was worth it.  And that's all I've got to say on the subject.

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 10:01 AM

Deecey and Artemis,

Yep it was as I thought yesterday, we can't merge multiple accounts into one. Sorry:(

JoeBlack ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 11:14 AM

I admit once or twice I thought about changing my user name, years ago. But no way would I pay ANYTHING to do something so mundane and elementary. Seriously, Rendy has lost the plot.

Bez ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 12:14 PM

$24.95 or $10...it's all pretty irrelevant if somebody else has already got the name you want.

VanRinkel ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 12:46 PM

Since the site makeover, i haven't been able to access my profile, gallery or homepage without errormessages caused by the apostrophe in my username( which worked perfectly well before the makeover). I have asked if it was possible to change username because of this, but haven't received any answer before seeing this "payed for usernamechangeservice". I'm not sure i find it reasonably to pay to make a free service work again.

t'Hor

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 1:04 PM

t'hor,

I am emailing you regarding the problem you are having. Hold tight:)

Alisa ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 1:59 PM

Holy smokes!!!   I have emailed several times to try and change my user name.  But there's no WAY I'll pay $10 for the pleasure of doing so (good thing I didn't see it while it was $25 or I'd have had a heart attack!).   I agree, this should ABSOLUTELY be free.
-Alisa

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:03 PM

25$!? Did I become blind? At http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13352 it says; "...the Username Change Service. Starting next Monday, for only $10.00,...". Or did I miss something?

Lucie ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:06 PM

They were going to charge 24.95 but it's been changed now to 10$

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

darth_poserus ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:14 PM

Quote - Lucie, wait till you see what's next... (oops, did I say that out load)

"Sorry Rendo"

Yessss wait, wait untill we the Sith! Have taken over.

Muahahahaha

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:23 PM

Guess I was to lazy, didn't read all the posts  :o/

Chippsyann ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:49 PM

darth_poserus...

"Stop that" Get back in your cage!

pearce ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:03 PM

I thought I might rename myself Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk.

~M :P

Alisa ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:50 PM

Quote - I thought I might rename myself Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk.

~M :P

Hey, now HERE'S a thought - they can charge by the letter - I think you're up to $100 with that one  :lol: 

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:53 PM

Are there any Slartibartfasts? LOL

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 7:21 PM

StaceyG:  That's actually odd about multiple account not able to be merged... because I've actually had this done before, some years ago.  Had my whole gallery switched to a different account that I had.

If this option is not possible, that's unfortunate.  I'm sure by now that many people created alternate accounts because they could not switch their usernames.  Now, seeing as there is a charge to SWITCH usernames, AND you cannot merge existing accounts, AND it's quite possible the new username you want IS one of your other accounts.... what's the point, really, for anyone to pay the $$ to switch the name?

Sure, you might have the odd member who has never switched his/her name or created an alternate account, but really, if renderosity wanted this to be profitable... you might want to include the merging option. (as I said, I KNOW it can be done, I had it done before)

You might have had a customer here, for example.  I will be the first to admit that over the years I've changed my name a few times, and I'd be willing to pay for this as a result of that fickleness (hehe).

Mind you, as someone said above (can't remember who)... this option is entirely FREE at Daz... you can switch it once, you can switch it back... and all of your purchases and other activities are logged right along with it....

killa9127 ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 9:12 PM

Ahahahahahaha who's bright idea was this to charge money to change usernames. 👎 Wow people will do anything for money these days.  Little pathetic. :glare: This should be free. But hey if you want to do this for free just make another account :laugh:. Seriously

matrix03 ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 11:32 PM

Charging to change a Username?? :lol:

I agree with stonemason and Marforno 100%. Daz doesn't charge to change usernames. why should Renderosity?

it's ludicrous to charge for a name change.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 11:53 PM

Must....Keep...Quiet.

Must...Refrain...From ...Commenting.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

billy423uk ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 2:48 AM

Quote - Charging to change a Username?? :lol:

I agree with stonemason and Marforno 100%. Daz doesn't charge to change usernames. why should Renderosity?

it's ludicrous to charge for a name change.

it may be ludicrous to pay for a name change but i can't see how it's ludicrous to charge for it.

daz isn't rendo and vice versa. by your logic all gas stations should charge the same price irrespective of userbase, volume of sales, and locale. lets not forget rendo is first and foremost a business. if they can make money from name changes then they'll do it. i would'nt be suprised if once it's been implemented for a while daz and a few others dont follow suite jmo

billy

Chippsyann ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 7:21 AM

billy423uk:

Quote- i would'nt be suprised if once it's been implemented for a while daz and a few others dont follow suite

"That’s a scary thought"

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 7:31 AM

i would'nt be suprised if once it's been implemented for a while daz and a few others dont follow suite jmo

Except that on DAZ's site, they don't have to get involved in the name change. You can do it yourself, and it changes all messages, order history, etc. It takes all of a minute to make it happen.

The only way I would even consider paying for a service like this is if it allowed me to merge purchases from multiple accounts into one.  Oh well, if I want to change my name again I'll just open up ANOTHER account. LOL

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 8:28 AM

LET THIS THREAD DIE!

lemur01 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 8:31 AM

All this talk of multiple accounts and half a million members makes me wonder just how many of these accounts have been accessed in the last, say, month.... six months... year... etc. Now that would give a better idea of the 'active' membership. Would Admin care to publish the figures?

lemur01 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 8:33 AM

Why?

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 8:38 AM

Quote - Why?

Be good, or I'll get Tom in here!  LOL

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 9:02 AM · edited Fri, 10 November 2006 at 9:03 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13103

We have 200,000 actively participating members.

It's published on our Advertising page:
http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13103

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 9:24 AM

Quote - All this talk of multiple accounts and half a million members makes me wonder just how many of these accounts have been accessed in the last, say, month.... six months... year... etc. Now that would give a better idea of the 'active' membership. Would Admin care to publish the figures?

You know, you raise a very good point here.  Now I know where you're going with this, and I agree, but I'll look at it from the standpoint of site performance.  I can't help but wonder if 200,000 inactive accounts were deleted overall site performance would improve.  Although it would keep people from commenting and rating their own work or perhaps having conversations with themselves on-line, and because of that, some may fall into a deep state of depression.

Just wondering.

As far as alias changing, I find the whole thing ridiculous.  It's amazing how romantic -*and foolishly cool *-people try to get with their screen names: BloodStone, FoxyGurl69, KrystalMoon, GluSniffer521, MystyRhaine, CrimsonGonads...TerraDreamer, etc.  I mean really, does it matter in the grand scheme of things what the hell it is you call yourself?  The difference between the screen names CrimsonGonads and KrystalMoon is zilch; it's a freaking screen name, nothing else.  Who the hell is going to put either on a business card?  And changing your alias won't make you a better artist or less of an asshole if you've been one recently!  That precisely why I've never changed mine :)

It would appear some people spend as much time massaging their aliases as they do their private parts.

As far as charging people for the service, go for it, Rendo!  Charge them up the wazzu!  You're a business; you're supposed to make money off the backs of these people!

And while you're at it, delete inactive accounts to help de-bloat your user database.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 10:42 AM

"OK, just want to get something straight here, at least the way that I understand it.

It has been stated by staff members here about all the FREE stuff available at Renderosity.

These FREE services (galleries, forums, blogs, etc...) are at LEAST partially designed to draw people to the site and advertise products. WE are doing work for THEM and the vendors. Maybe the staff members at Renderosity need to be reminded of that.

Also, as far as the over 13,000 free items... Renderosity does not host them. Renderosity provides LINKS to free items, not the items themselves and a vast majority of those free items are produced by the community members, NOT RENDEROSITY. We as a community are providing most of the free items that Renderosity is taking the credit for.

I find that extremely insulting and very misrepresentative of the situation. Taking credit for other peoples work, shame on you!

If I am wrong in my understanding of this... please correct me, but provide FACTS."

First of all...Show me how Renderosity is "Taking Credit" for other peoples work.

Okay..here goes. **You want Facts? **

I recall the last time I mentioned that this site was "Free" and I recall how someone  site mailed me to "educate" me on how the store supports the site, so therefore, it is not "Free". I explained to this person that I'd never spent one red cent at this, or any other Graphics online store,and to me,... that's "Free"

This person went on to accuse me of "Freeloading" because I'd never bought anything from the Marketplace. Then went on to say it was no different than hanging out at Sears, but not buying anything. He then blathered about being resentful that he was "Paying My Way" around here.

I recall telling him (Okay...it was a him) that the analogy was grasping at straws and interacting and "Contributing" to and online community, was nothing like loitering at a brick and mortar establishment.

I went on to tell him that I had dedicated 6 years to keeping sites like this running, So I have "Given" in that way, just not monetarily.
I spent about 2 years of my life on staff here at Renderosity, and 5 years at the other site "Paying My Way".

I said " *Maybe I'll tell you some time just how many members and staff members (Volunteers)I was able to get NFR copies of software from developers to make sure they got at least something for their efforts. Or maybe how much time I spent organizing contests and other promotions so the membership could win great prizes.
Or how much time was spent putting out fires and trying to keep everyone happy. Or maybe how much time was spent coordinating the Magazine..Or staying up late building the newsletter to make sure it got out in time. Or perhaps the thousands of dollars spent in air fair and hotels going to the SIGGRAPH conventions to market with the developers to sell banner and newsletter space to help keep the site revenue up. Not to mention countless hours testing store products and writing software reviews.Striking deals that got the site promoted in the Software manuals and direct links in the help menus.

How about I show you the hundreds of dollars in monthly phone bills talking with the developers,selling banner adds,coordinating promotions and contests.
**You may feel superior looking down you nose at me and calling me a free loader,but I assure you,I've spent more money than you keeping the communities going as Marketing Administrator and keeping this a "FREE RESOURCE" for all who choose to use it.

Believe me,I've paid my way, just in different ways than you.
These site's were "Resources", before they ever was a store.
The store is only a part of the site,one that helps generate revenue for the site.

Oh..and you can Thank "Me" anytime for my contributions.*

Okay...I say all that to say this:

First of all... I "Chose" to offer up my services and give back to the community.I didn't complain until someone had the nerve to call me a freeloader.

I suppose humility would have been a better approach on my part, but hey....I'm human,and subject to the shortcomings that come with that.

But just because someone is on staff, does not give non-staff members the right to abuse them (Sometimes Daily) After all..They are Human too.

We ALL contribute to this site in many different ways.. Members and staff alike. Maybe not to the same degree,but we all contribute in our own way. Some go above and beyond, while no one even notices what they are accomplishing behind the scenes.

I'd wager that 50% the people who complain about how the site is run,couldn't run a lemonade stand, let alone run a place this size and probably wouldn't last a week on staff running a community like this one. 40% might be able to run a lemonade stand,(Right into the Ground) the remaining 10% could probably pull it off with some measure of success.

I'm not always completely sure of what the motivation is. Perhaps its as simple as just wanting to follow the latest bitch-fest, and feel like being part of the crowd, without even fully examining the situation. I do know this though. most folks will jump at the chance to Slam the staff,and/or Renderosity's policies.

Fire

Aim

Ready

Maybe other complainers "Could" run a lemonade stand,( Or perhaps Kool Aid)... Fine... step up to the plate, organize a staff, and start your own online community. See what all goes into it.

Oh... What's that? You "Choose" not too?...well then...ask for your Renderosity membership fee to be returned and just leave, or simply accept the site for what it is at present, and say nothing while they work out the kinks. Better yet... Offer a suggestion in a helpful way. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

It's easy to slam the staff and when people are doing that, they are doing nothing special. It's just an easy thing to do so don't be surprised if there are no medals given to those who do.Perhaps we should think about the gazillion other behind the scene things that they are juggling, while they are putting out your particular fire.

The reason this site exists is not "Just" because of the store. There is lots of other marketing arrangements going on too.Y'no?...sometimes you have to keep those who "Sponsor" the site happy too,...and try to strike a balance between keeping sponsors happy, as well as the membership. 

Anyway...just try to realize that there is more to running a community of this magnitude than meets the eye. Try to Remember that it's a juggling act and has variables that reach farther and wider than most will ever know.

Peace

Oh...and I'll have a lemonade please.

So "The Facts Are...."...These FREE services (galleries, forums, blogs, etc...) CAME FIRST.

Renderosity had to come up with a way to pay for YOU to have this resource available to you. There are several other means of drawing people to the site. Not just your precious "Art". Perhaps Renderosity should feel insulted that you have the ego and nerve to assume that it is only the members "Art" services (galleries, forums, blogs, etc...) is the only thing that draws revenue to the site.I'm sure the person who busts ass everyday to get sponsorship from developers might find that comment very insulting.

So... you find it insulting?

Why are you even still here? If I felt "Extremely Insulted", and "Misrepresented", I'd take my "Art" along with my "username", and start my own site,and pay all of the costs involved that comes with that. (Far more than 10 bux BTW), and deal with all the headaches that are associated with running a site not unlike this one.

But then again...that's just what I'd do. Others may choose to stay for whatever reason keeps them here complaining.

If you do decide to leave...be sure to ask for your membership fee to be returned.

If it was your intent to become an artist, why then didn't you invest some time into what could likely be the most important part of your artistic career? "Your Identity(Username)

These other sites giving free name changes likely do not have anything close to the member-base that Renderosity does.

If this service was offered for free,I'd wager that the staff would be bogged down with indecisive "Artists" wanting name changes. And would probably need to hire a dedicated staff to keep up with it. 

Tom

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 11:07 AM

Oops..sorry TerraDreamer...I cross posted with you.

Too late...I couldn't hold off any longer.

To be honest...I've held off on posting lately. I'll likely get banned if I don't (hold off)

But to tell you the truth, I'm beginning to not even care anymore.

I'd never liked the "Us against Them" attitude that goes on so much around here , but my apathy of getting banned is not because of they way the staff runs the place, but rather the way the membership abuses them,and whines about every little thing.

It's something one cant tolerate for long before they simply don't care anymore, lose interest, and find another place to hang out.

Tom

killa9127 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 11:09 AM

hawkfyr just threw the logic at you people. This is going to be intresting....

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 11:28 AM

Quote - Too late...I couldn't hold off any longer.

Bravo, dude, bravo.

Sure you don't want something a little stronger than lemonade, though...? :tt2:

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 11:37 AM · edited Fri, 10 November 2006 at 11:42 AM

"I  can't help but wonder if 200,000 inactive accounts were deleted overall site performance would improve."

At another site I  worked for, if a member didn't log in for a certain amount of time,(A Year I think ) The account was deleted to save space, bandwidth, etc..

BUT...those numbers look good when your tying to get a sponsor to commit to a 6 month banner contact.

A screen name is really an "Identity", (Branding if you will). Some throw it around without a care in the world, while others think long and hard about it as it represents there business. (My username is not only on my Business card, it is on my license plate". It's not unlike a logo, and I understand the importance of it for someone serious about there business, but some could not care any less about it...It's Those who do not care, is why I would assume Renderosity charges for it.

If I didn't care about my Identity, what's to stop me from wanting to change it all the time?

Tom

Heh Heh...He said "Long and Hard"..Heh Heh

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 12:02 PM

"Sure you don't want something a little stronger than lemonade, though...?"

I may need something stronger now that I've thrown my hat in this particular ring,..lol

Tom

lemur01 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 1:01 PM

First of all, thank you Tom for all your efforts and contributions to the community. And I really mean that. In the early days it was through members like you that the site was able to grow into the run-away success it is today. But I just have to respond to one or two points you made.

Okay...I say all that to say this:

First of all... I "Chose" to offer up my services and give back to the community. I didn't complain until someone had the nerve to call me a freeloader.

I suppose humility would have been a better approach on my part, but hey....I'm human, and subject to the shortcomings that come with that.

* But just because someone is on staff, does not give non-staff members the right to abuse them (Sometimes Daily) After all... They are Human too.*

I work in customer services, I deal with angry customers sometimes every day but it’s not ME the customers are angry at, it’s the company. Similarly, it’s not the admins or the moderators who are under fire here, again it’s the company. The admins and moderators are the interface between the membership and the entity called Renderosity they are the face and the voice of the company and in my ‘professional’ opinion they do a hell of a good job

I'd wager that 50% the people who complain about how the site is run, couldn’t run a lemonade stand, let alone run a place this size and probably wouldn't last a week on staff running a community like this one. 40% might be able to run a lemonade stand,(Right into the Ground) the remaining 10% could probably pull it off with some measure of success.

Sorry, what relevance is that? Renderosity is supposed to be a professionally run business. People are invited to become members of a community run by that business and that fact, if nothing else, gives the membership a right to at least voice their opinions on how that community is run. Whether any member of that community has the ability to run any kind of profit making organisation is totally irrelevant. How many shareholders of a multi-national company are qualified to run that organisation? Not many, but every last one of them has a right to voice their opinion of how the company is run.

*The reason this site exists is not "Just" because of the store. There is lots of other marketing arrangements going on too.Y'no?... sometimes you have to keep those who "Sponsor" the site happy too,...and try to strike a balance between keeping sponsors happy, as well as the membership. *

Renderosity had to come up with a way to pay for YOU to have this resource available to you. There are several other means of drawing people to the site. Not just your precious "Art". Perhaps Renderosity should feel insulted that you have the ego and nerve to assume that it is only the members "Art" services (galleries, forums, blogs, etc...) is the only thing that draws revenue to the site. I’m sure the person who busts ass everyday to get sponsorship from developers might find that comment very insulting.

Actually, it is ALL about the store. If the store suddenly folded the rest of the site would collapse. Everything else on the site exists because of the store and exists to support the store, galleries, tutorials, freestuff and forums. All there simply to bring in customers. No store, no customers. No customers, no sponsorship or any of the other ‘marketing arrangements’. And, most importantly, no store, no profit for the site owners and so no reason to keep the site open

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 2:34 PM · edited Fri, 10 November 2006 at 2:39 PM

I could do with a change of name; I chose "jasmine" after the cat, but didn't think about the yards of rude emails I would get round the web because it's a female name.
So I really should change to my own name, or one based on it, to reinforce the fact that I am actually male (and not cross-dressing ...).
I think $5 would have been enough, though.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 2:46 PM

I don't see this controversy (or any of the previous controversies) as a bad thing. it proves the members care enuff about this site to voice their opinions, and that the admins are mature enuff to take criticism. the site is still adding members at a rate of 100 or more per day. I dunno how many are dead accounts, but nic can weed them out if they tell him to do it. in a month, this will be a dead issue, and the members will move on to the latest controversy, just as they have done since 98, when willow created this site.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.