Sun, Oct 6, 11:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: i can't take bad comments - morale booster

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 4:50 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:04 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

once again i have been in a chat room & again i am sulking, Banned from another chat thingy (not that i care)
i showed some people my images some liked but some said "Anyone can do them" -
I use Daz/studio - Poser 5 - Corel Photo 11 & Corel Paint Shop Pro X. i am very proud of my pics - when i 1st got my pc for over a year i wondered how they made 3d character wallpapers. I've been using my software for just over 18months now & i'm still learning new teqniches etc. it just pisses me off when people say "anyone can do that" & "the software you use is basic & very easy to use" - Well Peeps i 'm after your opinions. I know there are different levels of artist here & there are some who say all is crap. Some people think the characters come ready textured & clothed someone even said "you can buy renders off daz website" (shows how thick these people are)
my questions to you are >
1, Are the pics we create easy ?? difficulty level 1 - 10 ??
2, Would you say You were skilled ?
3, Do You Know It All ? how long has it taken you to learn wot you know ?
i know you will all say just ignore negative users - i do i just want to know if wot i do can be done with ease coz i still find it difficult at times & always learn something new :)
ps :) if you answer "yes & 1 out of 10 to question 1 - you suck ;)
if you say no to question 2 - you're a bighead :) & question 3 "If You're A Know All" then how come you read this thread coz you should be busy in pixar studios :)
i hear renderosity is getting a new chatroom soon - hope it's got security on the door & they DON'T let me in - right mard arse i am at times :) tho i can take a joke & constructive critisism - anyway i gonna shut up coz you'll see loads of writing & think hmmm not reading all that
1 last thing - i find it bizzare that i get banned off so many chat rooms for chatting to much

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 4:53 PM

just noticed 3 posts - lol thats not much for someone who says they chat alot - reason for lack of posts = just incase i write something stupid & regret it - <<<<<< hmmmmmm   lol :) > > ok so i don't post much doesn't mean i don't chat & maybe i might start posting a bit more anyway.....

FlyByNight ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:20 PM
  1. No. I'd say about an 8.
  2. Yes.
  3. No. More than 6 years. And still learning.

FlyByNight

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:37 PM

no worries, mice. nobody knows it all. I happen to know that for a fact :lol:

CrimsonDesire ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:36 PM

Don't let it get you down, alot of folks can only make themselves feel big by trying to make someone else feel small.  And anybody who thinks that "anybody can do them" or that it does not take skill to create 3D art, I'd disagree with strongly and I've worked in several artistic mediums.  Their are incredible things that can be done with 3D art and animation, and I've seen a great deal of creativity with it.   But like any art form it takes time, skill, and vision.  That's true in any art form.

Creativity and expression are our birthrights, and I hope you will continue to use yours.  ^^

billy423uk ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:52 PM

Quote - my questions to you are >

1, Are the pics we create easy ?? difficulty level 1 - 10 ??
2, Would you say You were skilled ?
3, Do You Know It All ? how long has it taken you to learn wot you know ?
i know you will all say just ignore negative users - i do i just want to know if wot i do can be done with ease coz i still find it difficult at times & always learn something new :)
ps :) if you answer "yes & 1 out of 10 to question 1 - you suck ;)
if you say no to question 2 - you're a bighead :) & question 3 "If You're A Know All" then how come you read this thread coz you should be busy in pixar studios :)
i hear renderosity is getting a new chatroom soon - hope it's got security on the door & they DON'T let me in - right mard arse i am at times :) tho i can take a joke & constructive critisism - anyway i gonna shut up coz you'll see loads of writing & think hmmm not reading all that
1 last thing - i find it bizzare that i get banned off so many chat rooms for chatting to much

i find your questions inane and without much chance of a specific answer but here goes.

1, it ranges from 1 to 10 depending how skillful the person is. for me most are below 5
2, skilled to what level? i'm crap with poser and renders. have a low level of skill at modelling
3, does anyone. it's taken me all my life

i find the second part of your post childish and arrogant and have to admit that if i ran a chat room i'd ban you if this post was all i had to go off.  from what you wrote i seriously doubt you can take constructive crit. have you ever thought that if you get banned from so many chat rooms it could actually  be your fault. jmo.

as for ignoring any negative crits...do so at your peril. they're the ones that would probably help you grow more as an artist, very often pride strides hand in hand with ignorence

billy

CrimsonDesire ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:10 PM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:11 PM

There is a big differance between constructive critism and simply being spitefull or hurtfull.  It is possible to offer someone ways to improve their style in a polite and kind manner.  Courtesy costs nothing.

It is also, I think, important to remember that often hurt & anger can cause us to express ourselves in ways that might on the surface seem perhaps discourteous to our peers.   In such moment's of weakness and pain on the part of others compassion and understanding are important.

Everybody stumbles sometimes.  If one should fall, can another not extend a hand to pull them back up?

It is generally considered bad form to kick someone when they are already down.

billy423uk ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 10:06 PM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 10:07 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

if we stumble we pick ouselves up or if offered accept a helping hand. if we continue to stumble without  addressing why we stumble we only do those who offer their help a diservice.

that hurt and anger causes us to express ourselves in ways that may be deemed discourtious by our peers doesn't mean we should take compassion from others for granted. that we do so sometimes shows a lack of compassion in ourselves.

you've obviously never been badly beaten by someone you let up out of compassion and fair play. i recommend at least one or two good kicks to let them know that life is rarely fair in general or not so general terms.

as for constructive crit. i agree whole heartedly but constructive crit often carries negativity within. i was pointing out that good positive things can be gained (sometimes the best things) from negative crit (note the word crit). i don't associate simply being spitefull or hurtful as any kind of  crit. often using a polite manner to crit which i try and do makes little difference to those of thin skin. sadly they just go somewhere else and ask others for crit whilst complaining about a crit they recieved off someone else. some of them don't want or can't handle good honest crit given in a polite and kind manner. some have their heads stuck so far up their arse that the only thing which they allow to enter their ears is shit. i can accept that but what i can't accept is when time after time they pull their shit covered head out of their arse and ask....can you comment on this please then cry when you do cos instead of going wow you give an actual crit.

back to the understanding and compassion. yes they are important. very important.  thats i won't waste them on silly trivial posts or the people who post them. what i saw was a self centered child displaying petulance cos someone didn't stroke his ego. this is not an attack of someone but an opinion of a post and what i garnered rightly or wrongly from it. now you can spank my bum and call me cynical if you feel like but it won't change my opinion 

show me someone who warrants understanding and compassion and i'll give it by the bucketful. show me someone who genuinely stumbles instead of falling down on their own pitard and ill be the first to offer a helping hand

billy

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 11:00 PM

yeah, billy, but basically, they wrote poser so anybody could produce renders of humans on the first day of use. so anybody can do renders in poser. what separates the pros from the masses is the ability to read the manual, to do proper lighting, proper shadows, use the right scene and props, pose the figure correctly, do facial expressions, use hair correctly, use clothing correctly, use the correct render settings, etc. ad infinitum. anybody can do it, but it takes quite a bit of patience and experience to do it right (see poser gallery here).

billy423uk ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 11:25 PM

i've looked at the galleries nancy. and still do. whilst i say most would rate 5 or lower i see work that would rate 10 plus. some fantastic creations. and though they basically slagged poser off is it such a big deal. the renders were put up for comment and what was said wasn't liked.  that the person gets repeatedly banned says more about the person to me than the sites themselves. if people want an ego boost then post the images where you know they'll be welcomed. i'm certainly not condoning nastiness on chat sites but it's a fact that if you stick your neck out in them it will invariably be cut. from the original post i get that the person sticks his neck out time after time.  i'm actually almost done finishing a model that i took in poser to rig and do the jp's when it's done it'll be a freebie. should someone say ..hey billy the figures crap i'll quietly smile and think ..you could have a point. i certainly won't need to post what they said in some thread to get a moral boost for my ego.

ps i do agree with what you said btw lol

billy

CrimsonDesire ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:12 AM

Dear me, touch a nerve did I Billy?

"if we stumble we pick ouselves up or if offered accept a helping hand. if we continue to stumble without  addressing why we stumble we only do those who offer their help a diservice." ~Billy

We do a greater diservice to those who are stumbling if we cannot see their pain and make allowance for it.

"that hurt and anger causes us to express ourselves in ways that may be deemed discourtious by our peers doesn't mean we should take compassion from others for granted. that we do so sometimes shows a lack of compassion in ourselves." ~ Billy

Not neccessarilly.  It can simply speak to temporary clouded judgement.  If one were to judge the sole worth of a person based on seening them at their worst, one often can miss out those moments when they are at their best.  Some people have a tendancy to lash out in hurt or anger.  It is often at those moments that they are in most need of compassion.

"you've obviously never been badly beaten by someone you let up out of compassion and fair play. i recommend at least one or two good kicks to let them know that life is rarely fair in general or not so general terms." ~ Billy

While the end result of a fight may at times be changed by one's humanity for someone who is an opponent is ultamitly not only weather the fight is won or lost but how a person chooses to fight that can have a more lasting effect on one's life.  It's not a question of fairness but of personal responsablity for one's own actions.  Some things we do to live and some things we do to be able to live with ourselves.

"as for constructive crit. i agree whole heartedly but constructive crit often carries negativity within. i was pointing out that good positive things can be gained (sometimes the best things) from negative crit (note the word crit). i don't associate simply being spitefull or hurtful as any kind of  crit. often using a polite manner to crit which i try and do makes little difference to those of thin skin. sadly they just go somewhere else and ask others for crit whilst complaining about a crit they recieved off someone else. some of them don't want or can't handle good honest crit given in a polite and kind manner. some have their heads stuck so far up their arse that the only thing which they allow to enter their ears is shit. i can accept that but what i can't accept is when time after time they pull their shit covered head out of their arse and ask....can you comment on this please then cry when you do cos instead of going wow you give an actual crit." ~ Billy

Truelly you have a intresting sense of metaphor.  Sometimes criticism, even politily put can be hard to hear or except.  And sometimes a person is going to want to hear more then one opinion on the matter.  It may also take a little while for what you are telling them to sink in, particullarly if they feel hurt by what was said, however well intended it might have been.  That does not mean they don't ultimatly here what you are saying though.  As for someone continuing to ask for critical evaluations of their work even after becoming upset, I can only conjecture on the whys of that.  There are many possible reasons but I would hope that if someone continously asked for critical evaluations that they would thank the person for their honest opinion on the matter.

"back to the understanding and compassion. yes they are important. very important.  thats i won't waste them on silly trivial posts or the people who post them. what i saw was a self centered child displaying petulance cos someone didn't stroke his ego. this is not an attack of someone but an opinion of a post and what i garnered rightly or wrongly from it. now you can spank my bum and call me cynical if you feel like but it won't change my opinion" ~ Billy

You are certianly intitled to that opinion Billy and I have no desire to spank your bottem or any other part of you for that matter.  I don't think that 3_Bad_Mice was being particularly self-centered or petulant.  She was asking for some answers to questions and explaining some of the reasons for asking and her style actually struck me as fairly light hearted and self-decrimating.  But each person is of course going to have their own perceptions on things.  That is part of what makes the world so intresting and also why tolerance and understanding are important to work for.

"show me someone who warrants understanding and compassion and i'll give it by the bucketful. show me someone who genuinely stumbles instead of falling down on their own pitard and ill be the first to offer a helping hand" ~ Billy

I'm glad to hear it.  There are certianly no shortage of people in the world who need understanding and compassion, in fact I believe just about everyone does.   I can only hope that those who stumble live up to your standards of what is and what is not worthy.

"yeah, billy, but basically, they wrote poser so anybody could produce renders of humans
on the first day of use. so anybody can do renders in poser. what separates the pros
from the masses is the ability to read the manual, to do proper lighting, proper shadows,
use the right scene and props, pose the figure correctly, do facial expressions, use hair
correctly, use clothing correctly, use the correct render settings, etc. ad infinitum.
anybody can do it, but it takes quite a bit of patience and experience to do it right
(see poser gallery here)." ~ Miss Nancy

I know you addressed your post primarilly to Billy, Miss Nancy, but I couldn't resist a brief comment.  I think that in addition to the technical skills you mentioned there are also some other important personal traits.  Artistic vision, perserverance in the face of artistic adversity (which can take many forms), and inovation are a few.  What makes viewing different images both here and at other sites so enjoyable for me is that I'm constantly watching artist's change, evolve, and inovate their styles and subjects, and certianly it's very inspiring and exciting to see.

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 1:46 AM

Quote - Dear me, touch a nerve did I Billy?

fraid not crimson. it would take more than what you could offer in words on the internet to achieve that lol

"We do a greater diservice to those who are stumbling if we cannot see their pain and make allowance for it."

sorry but i think you're confusing pain with ego

"Not neccessarilly.  It can simply speak to temporary clouded judgement.  If one were to judge the sole worth of a person based on seening them at their worst, one often can miss out those moments when they are at their best.  Some people have a tendancy to lash out in hurt or anger.  It is often at those moments that they are in most need of compassion."

where did the sole worth stuff come from? as for judging them whilst they're at theire worst, it's all one can do if thats all you see. 

"you've obviously never been badly beaten by someone you let up out of compassion and fair play. i recommend at least one or two good kicks to let them know that life is rarely fair in general or not so general terms." ~ Billy

"While the end result of a fight may at times be changed by one's humanity for someone who is an opponent is ultamitly not only weather the fight is won or lost but how a person chooses to fight that can have a more lasting effect on one's life.  It's not a question of fairness but of personal responsablity for one's own actions.  Some things we do to live and some things we do to be able to live with ourselves."

all you're doing is extending a premise to something i replied to which no longer has validity to the thread in hand thereby taking it off at a tangent to what the reply was originally intended for.
but i'll bite lol. i have no responsabilty to play psych maid to a people who suffer from delusions of grandure. i am and have always been responsible for my own actions. according to what you say so should everybody be thereby negating the need for help. you can't have it both ways. as for living with myself..i do so on a daily basis without regret

"Truelly you have a intresting sense of metaphor.  Sometimes criticism, even politily put can be hard to hear or except.  And sometimes a person is going to want to hear more then one opinion on the matter.  It may also take a little while for what you are telling them to sink in, particullarly if they feel hurt by what was said, however well intended it might have been.  That does not mean they don't ultimatly here what you are saying though.  As for someone continuing to ask for critical evaluations of their work even after becoming upset, I can only conjecture on the whys of that.  There are many possible reasons but I would hope that if someone continously asked for critical evaluations that they would thank the person for their honest opinion on the matter."

it works for me and you obvious;y understood it lol

crit doesn't have to be followed. it's an opinon, hopefully constructive but never binding. they can have, do and listen to what they want but if they ask publicly for a crit and i give it then it's given. what they do with it is up to them as long as they don't come crying about it to anyone who'll listen. this is one of the main reasons critique should never be critiqued. bad taste to ask for a personal opinion which is often what a critique is and then tell that person they're wrong. . a critique neither needs reply, explanation, condemnation or affirmation. either of which usually says more about the person being critiqued than the crit itself

"You are certianly intitled to that opinion Billy and I have no desire to spank your bottem or any other part of you for that matter.  I don't think that 3_Bad_Mice was being particularly self-centered or petulant.  She was asking for some answers to questions and explaining some of the reasons for asking and her style actually struck me as fairly light hearted and self-decrimating.  But each person is of course going to have their own perceptions on things.  That is part of what makes the world so intresting and also why tolerance and understanding are important to work for."

and you are entitled to yours crimson, shame about the spanking though.

"show me someone who warrants understanding and compassion and i'll give it by the bucketful. show me someone who genuinely stumbles instead of falling down on their own pitard and ill be the first to offer a helping hand" ~ Billy

"I'm glad to hear it.  There are certianly no shortage of people in the world who need understanding and compassion, in fact I believe just about everyone does.   I can only hope that those who stumble live up to your standards of what is and what is not worthy."

people who stumble like the rest of us don't have to live up to any expectation. it's called life and living it doesn't gaurentee us a card to the who'll help me next club. whilst i agree everyone is in need of compassion and help. i disagree that they should be entitled to it all the time which is what you imply. don't we all make judgements before we commit. arent you judging me (i don't mind btw, ) are you showing me any compassion? or am i not worthy of it

"yeah, billy, but basically, they wrote poser so anybody could produce renders of humans
on the first day of use. so anybody can do renders in poser. what separates the pros
from the masses is the ability to read the manual, to do proper lighting, proper shadows,
use the right scene and props, pose the figure correctly, do facial expressions, use hair
correctly, use clothing correctly, use the correct render settings, etc. ad infinitum.
anybody can do it, but it takes quite a bit of patience and experience to do it right
(see poser gallery here)." ~ Miss Nancy

"I know you addressed your post primarilly to Billy, Miss Nancy, but I couldn't resist a brief comment.  I think that in addition to the technical skills you mentioned there are also some other important personal traits.  Artistic vision, perserverance in the face of artistic adversity (which can take many forms), and inovation are a few.  What makes viewing different images both here and at other sites so enjoyable for me is that I'm constantly watching artist's change, evolve, and inovate their styles and subjects, and certianly it's very inspiring and exciting to see."  

is there anyone else you would like to reply to whilst i'm not being metophorically spanked lol.

billy

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:28 AM

Quote - yeah, billy, but basically, they wrote poser so anybody could produce renders of humans on the first day of use. so anybody can do renders in poser. what separates the pros from the masses is the ability to read the manual, to do proper lighting, proper shadows, use the right scene and props, pose the figure correctly, do facial expressions, use hair correctly, use clothing correctly, use the correct render settings, etc. ad infinitum. anybody can do it, but it takes quite a bit of patience and experience to do it right (see poser gallery here).

oops i may have missunderstood what you said nancy, sorry.

when i first got poser i did a render as any newbie can and i thought this is soooooooo cool. i went back a couple of days later and looked at it again for inspiration to go on and do another great work.  god was i dissapointed lol. i realised looking at the render that my initial euphoria was just my emotionally lacking ego patting me on the back. what i saw staring back at me was an abortion on a scale of one to ten i t deserved a negative. when i say most are 5 and under i'm not knocking or deriding. just mirroring what you say. the masses that use poser use it mainly for enjoyment or hobby, one of the reasons why i thought the questions un-subjective. a lot rise from the masses and do as you say, they learn and expand to do better renders.  and the lucky ones who have a natural eye or talent or what you will learn and rise even higher. none are better than the other three, they're just different groups of people wanting different things.

billy

CrimsonDesire ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 6:10 AM

"fraid not crimson. it would take more than what you could offer in words on the internet to achieve that lol" ~ Billy

Now why am I having a hard time believing that at the moment, but I'll take your word for it.

"sorry but i think you're confusing pain with ego" ~ Billy

Am I?  Well again you're entitled to your opinion.

"where did the sole worth stuff come from? as for judging them whilst they're at theire worst, it's all one can do if thats all you see. "  ~ Billy

Not really.  There are in fact a great many alternatives to that, one simply has to make the effort.

"all you're doing is extending a premise to something i replied to which no longer has validity to the thread in hand thereby taking it off at a tangent to what the reply was originally intended for.
but i'll bite lol. i have no responsabilty to play psych maid to a people who suffer from delusions of grandure. i am and have always been responsible for my own actions. according to what you say so should everybody be thereby negating the need for help. you can't have it both ways. as for living with myself..i do so on a daily basis without regret" ~ Billy

Oh, I thought it was quite valid to your original response Billy.  If you mean that you're disappointed I didn't respond as you might have prefered to your assuption then yes I suppose that would be correct.  It hardly invalidates the issue however.  Now to as to your having to "play psych maid to people who suffer from delusions of grandure" I don't believe anyone here asked you to.  Now as to your premise that that people being responsible for their own actions somehow invalidates any arguement that people sometimes need help I'm sorry but I don't believe the two are at all in conflict.  If, for example a person who has lived life as a responsible adult throughout there existance suddenly finds themselves trapped in a burning building do they not then need help?  And does it suddenly mean they are no longer responsible for their own actions?  I don't believe that would generally be accepted as being the case.  It's not a question of my "having it both ways" it simply is what it is like most things in life.

"crit doesn't have to be followed. it's an opinon, hopefully constructive but never binding. they can have, do and listen to what they want but if they ask publicly for a crit and i give it then it's given. what they do with it is up to them as long as they don't come crying about it to anyone who'll listen. this is one of the main reasons critique should never be critiqued. bad taste to ask for a personal opinion which is often what a critique is and then tell that person they're wrong. . a critique neither needs reply, explanation, condemnation or affirmation. either of which usually says more about the person being critiqued than the crit itself" ~ Billy

Critics have never been, that I'm aware of, any sort of immunity from being critiqued themselves.  And in fact I believe the old saying about "Don't dish it out if you can't take it" might perhaps come to mind.  Just as you are intitled to your opinion, Billy, the person that is being critiqued has the right to both their feelings and their own opinions and to express them.  Put another way, "For every action there is a reaction".

"people who stumble like the rest of us don't have to live up to any expectation. it's called life and living it doesn't gaurentee us a card to the who'll help me next club. whilst i agree everyone is in need of compassion and help. i disagree that they should be entitled to it all the time which is what you imply. don't we all make judgements before we commit. arent you judging me (i don't mind btw, ) are you showing me any compassion? or am i not worthy of it" ~ Billy

I don't rember making any statement to the effect that people are or are not entitled to help all of the time, Billy.  And I don't remember anyone forming a "who will help next" club anywhere in my community.  People do occasionally need help.  Dealing generally with people with compassion or with understanding when they are hurting is a good thing I think.  Depending on the situation one doesan't always have the luxery of time for assessment.  As to weather or not I'm judging you, Billy, I'm not actually.  I don't know you.  I am responding to what you are writing and I am assessing that in order to formilate a response best suited to it.  There is a differance.  In responding to your statements and questions I am indeed making an effort to be civil and yes if you prefer compassionate.  Weather or not you choose to see it is of course up to you.

Finally one last note.  I'm as proud today of my first render as the day that I made it.  Have I been able to see some small improvement in my meager understanding and as a result my small peices?  Certianly.  But looking at those first starting renders, for all their flaws they are as precious and special as they were when I first put them up.  In my short time here I've seen artists both old and new inovate and expand their scope of work and their techniques in ways that both astound me and invite my admiration.  I strongly believe that no matter what your choosen medium or area of concentration that such spirit should be encouraged.

DDevant ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 9:24 AM

I would say making a Poser render is about 1 out of 10 in the difficulty/ skill level. Poser is deigned to be simple and easy. It is a hobbyist app. What makes a Poser image art is the post work done in other apps.

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 9:33 AM

Critics have never been, that I'm aware of, any sort of immunity from being critiqued themselves.  And in fact I believe the old saying about "Don't dish it out if you can't take it" might perhaps come to mind.  Just as you are intitled to your opinion, Billy, the person that is being critiqued has the right to both their feelings and their own opinions and to express them.  Put another way, "For every action there is a reaction".

critics are doing a job and as such should come under scrutiny. someone who does a critiqe or leaves a comment is not necesarily a critic. it one thing to have someone to pop up and start crititting someones work without them asking for comment and another when someone asks for a acomment. the reason it's deemed bad taste to critique a crit thats been asked for is that it doesn't really change anything and the person defending their work often shows themslef unable to accept a fair comment.

i don't wish anyone to respond in the way i prefer. truth be known i enjoy the opposite the opposite reaction or reaction theory may be true in physics but it isn't so in life. our two differing points of view attest to that.

so you agree with me that people aren't entitled to compassion and help all the time...what criteria do you base your giving of compassion on then?

the way we respond is in itself a form of judgement.

i doubt compassion enetered your head in responding to me lol though your civility is pleasing.

i passed on a lot of the other stuff cos it went over my head. as for for someone being affected by anothers post to the point of having a nerve struck....without your response to me this thread would  be half the size lol.

if it makes you happy to think you somehow invaded my emotions to the state of aggitating me then ok i'll say you succeeded. personally i just like a good debate but never mind i can be compassionate when the need arises. are you sure you don't want to spank me lol

billy

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 1:48 PM

"anyone can do that?"

Yes. Anyone can do that. Provided that this "anyone" puts in the time and effort to master the tools, learns to master composition and lighting. Which takes a LOT of time - a lifetime.

Poser and DAZ|Studio offer some shortcuts. You don't have to model human figures from scratch - which is very, very difficult and takes months, if not years, to master - but you STILL have to put in a lot of effort to get a good composition and light the scene well.

Some artists use Poser as it was originally intended - a quick render with basic lighting, then bring the resunt into a 2D program and postwork the hell out of it. Which can lead to excellent results, if the artist put in the time and effort to master Photoshop/PSP/Gimp/Painter/whatever.
Others spend hours, sometimes days, to fiddle with magnets and deformers, lighting and materials, until Poser / DAZ|Studio delivers a rehder that is "finished" by itself and doesn't really need postwork to bring it up to quality.

As for the quality of images in the 'rosity galleries: variable. From very basic beginner to sublime works of art. 

Nothing new here. It's all been said before.

About the questions the original poster asked:
1): Depends on the relation between the skill level of the artist and the artwork itself. A very skilled artist may deliver an image which is good, but "cookie cutter" for his/her standard - easy stuff, level 1.
And a beginner may put all he/she has in a work of art, driving himself to a higher level, producing an image that, measured with "objective" standards (do those even exist when it comes to art?) is of mediocre quality, but which is the best that he can do. Dificulty level 10+ - for this artist.
Conclusion: this question is not relevant.

2): Am I skilled? I'm not an absolute beginner anymore, but neither do I know and use my tools to the limits of their capacity. I'd say I'm at an intermediate level.

3): I've been at this 3D stuff for 4 years, and I just keep on learning. I'm convinced that I'll keep learning for the rest of my lifetime. I don't know it all, and I never will, but every time I work on a scene I learn something new.

Comments and criticism on 'rosity: most comments are ego-boosters. It's always nice to read that someone liked your work, but it does not help to improve your skills. I certainly don't object to comments like "fantastic work! Love it" but I'd rather see comments like "Look at the left feet of your character, a stronger shadow there would make sure his foot looks planted solidly on the ground" 
That is constructive criticism, of which there is far too little.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:51 PM

sorry billy never meant to upset anyone i was just making a comment on what people have said to me in the past, as for YOU banning me for being childish, i'd rather be childish than harsh & nasty as you sound. I usually only get banned when i speak my mind & the people banning know nothing of me they just ASUME & PRESUME, i love my art & try to chat as a peaceful chatter. What gets me is when people respond like you did, calling people childish on one comment & yes i can take bad critism (when it's constructive) . anyway thanks for your replies & I agree yes i spose it is easy to use - it's the quality of the finished image.
PS thanx for putting me off posting anymore stupid threads. mard arse :)
lol think i'm gonna go do 1 them signature thingy's, & i will be posting more (just decided) & if i seem childish - TUFF :) we're not all old

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:56 PM

Quote - back to the understanding and compassion. yes they are important. very important.  thats i won't waste them on silly trivial posts or the people who post them. what i saw was a self centered child displaying petulance cos someone didn't stroke his ego. this is not an attack of someone but an opinion of a post and what i garnered rightly or wrongly from it. now you can spank my bum and call me cynical if you feel like but it won't change my opinion 

billy

see how you PRESUME - who said i was a HE ?? - also it sounds pretty attacky to me

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 4:18 PM

sorry for calling you mardy - i just tried to delete this thread but don't know how,
soz anyway.  i'm not coming back to look at this (just saying to save you typing to me)
stupid thread anyway

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 4:56 PM

they won't letcha delete the thread, mice. the main way to get 'em to delete a thread is to type things that are libellous or inflammatory, post warez requests, or post underage nudie pix :lol: however, I'd agree with billy. looking at the poser gallery here (and elsewhere), I'd rate most of 'em as zeroes on a 1-10 scale - the thumbnails are not even worth clicking on IMVHO. having been viewing poser renders for about 10 years now, I'd say at this point that less than 5% of 'em are excellent work, done by folks who know what they're doing. maybe that's the same average for any rendering app - not to single out poser as a cheap and lifeless piece of 3D crap, which it most definitely is not IMVHO.

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 5:20 PM

sorry mice it wasn't a presumtion calling you him. i had three choices unless i looked up your profile and if that doesn't tell me your a female then i only have two. i chose him for the specific reason it was the first gender to come to mind. 

no worries about calling me mardy, in fact i found it quiet amusing lol

i never said it was easy to use as such. i said for some it is. some have spent a long time trying to master it whilst others just use the upfront stuff like libraries, pose and add buttons. all of which is okay if thats what they want to do.

and i really can see why you get nbanned from groups so easily lol.

if you malke a childish comment and thats all you do, then from that comment i can only asume you're childish.  

as for attacky not really just observational from the what was written. some of the posts i'm replying to enforce that observation. you'll find it hard to believe but i'm a child at heart, always have been. age is just a number lol. may i ask your age? if indeed you are of a young age then i have done you a disservice and would gladly apologise. it may have been a presumtion on my part to treat you as a person of older yrs than you are. if it was i'm sorry. i take it for granted that people in the forums are all adults.

billy

billy

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 5:24 PM

i agree completely svdl

whilst anyone can throw a pic out of poser, to do a good or really good one that has good lighting , shadow, composition, a knowledge of nodes and all the other stuff takes someone who has troubled themselves to learn how to use their program. 

billy

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 5:46 PM

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 5:49 PM

file_362462.jpg

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 6:02 PM · edited Thu, 14 December 2006 at 6:11 PM

:) billy peace :) - i said i wasn't gonna come back to reply but i got a email & noseiness got the better of me & i'm replying coz of what you just said miss nancy (quite shocked) - i see alot of nice pics in the galleries & i'm sure people wouldn't upload them if they were not proud of them, just being nosey here - but how come you've spent 10 years looking at pics you don't like, sounds to me like you are being like the clown in your avatar with that face :) - you must enjoy it here, so what do you do & why do you continue to come here (just wondered don't have to answer). usefull info tho i never realised poser was that old as you can see i'm newish.Also i shouldn't say this but i am honest i use Daz (only coz i prefer it) tho i have poser installed too.i post in the poser gallery coz not many use the daz gallery - tho i do browse the daz gallery. anyway just wondered why you would write that even if i thought that i wouldn't say it's not very boosting for other posters...
& no i'm not being ignorant but what is IMVHO ? it sounds like a desease :) of some sort
looks like IVanHOe if you look at it fast - like that knight think he was - Who was ivanhoe ??
anyway waiting to see wot you got to say about why you are here & wot you do
PS i did a signature thing - thought i'd add some colour to this thread - don't think it's worked tho & lol at the pic i can't see your name (guy with the cap :)
third time i edited see if it works this time >
4th time >
RIGHT I GIVE UP - no signature :(

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 6:13 PM

one more thing while i'm chatty i rekon you should be able to edit or delete your own posts (can't believe it let me just post blank) ^^   & how do you add a pic or signature to your comment ?

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 8:20 PM

i love it tom..lmao

as for compassion crimson i'd be more inclined to direct towards therepy in this instance lol

you bad bad girl miss nancy lol.

billy

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 10:23 PM · edited Thu, 14 December 2006 at 10:36 PM

file_362499.JPG

mice, click the "my forum options" link at top of this page, to add sigfile and avatar (image to the left of yer post). p.s. I ain't bad - I'm just drawn that way. :lol:

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 11:03 PM

hubba bubba

is that really you miss nancy lol

billy

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2006 at 5:58 PM

thanks miss nancy :) - think i might do a few more so i can change it now & then.
Actually i just noticed the middle character has a middle finger waving (no offence to anyway tis all in fun) think i might have to change it anyway in case it's offence, anyway thanx again miss ;)

billy423uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2006 at 6:44 PM

i can't see anything in it that will cause offence. 

billy

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2006 at 7:14 PM

I can't even see the image in question - no offence here :lol: if they don't like it, tell 'em to swivel on it (provided that's not against the TOS, mind you) :lol:

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 2:17 PM

3_blind_mice,

Instead of becoming discouraged by their derisive remarks about your art, allow their comments too make you angry, then use your anger, allow it too be an inspiration for you in your art.

Then, once you have mastered your art, shove it in their face and make them eat their words.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 2:19 PM · edited Sat, 16 December 2006 at 2:20 PM

Quote - no worries, mice. nobody knows it all.

Exept for the sith that is...........................................

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 1:05 AM
  1. Yes. In average about a 5.
  2. Yes.
  3. No. It took me 56 years and still learning.

Stupidity also evolves!

L33tace ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 11:58 AM

i've seen a thread like this by the same poster, different dates mind you,  in at least two other sites.

stick to showing your images to people in the 3d world, is all i can say. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.