Sat, Sep 21, 5:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: P7 Bug List - Feel Free to add to this.

Mason ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 5:25 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 5:51 PM

I figure it would be nice to have a running thread of P7 bugs so feel free to add to this thread for bugs.

1. Bug with new hierarchy box. Open it, then drag the corner. Now when you click on items it causes the box to shift quickly then snap back. It fixes itself the next time you run P7.

2. Material room shows the wrong thumbs and the wrong result in the result thumb window. This occured with materials in which the UV mapping was changed to non-tile and coordinates were not 1,1.

3. Setting threads does not take effect immediatly and you must exit and reenter for the effect to take place.

Mason ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 5:36 PM
  1. Cranking render options all the way to final results in lines in render. Will post a better pic if I get a chance.

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:49 PM

The slow updates are a Python artifact. 

Eternal Hobbyist

zollster ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:45 PM
  1. delete button not always working..you have to mess around clickin stuff in your scene til it works
    6.if you render then go back to preview mode and poser cant load a texture, if you try to render again it wont (it gives an error msg, then wont cancel the render)

Mason ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:06 PM
  1. They STILL never fixed preview mode going to full mode when exiting the material room.
  2. Maybe others have seen this but I have not seen any error reporting when rendering in a seperate thread. All I get is a blank render.

skee ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:03 PM
  1. the name of the figure does not change when you change figures, it will remain the name of the first figure used.
  2. the pause button on the animation tool will not pause, it just goes back to the beginning.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Dimension3D ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:20 AM

About 8, I addressed this to E-Frontier. Be sure you give access to the (local) net, maybe check your firewall settings. This worked for me, however I still don't know why rendering in a separate process always accesses the network. E-Frontier says it's to check no other copy of Poser is running in the network with the same registration number, but I don't see what this has to do with rendering in a separate process.

1. Remove poses for binary morphs only work for compressed poses, but not for uncompressed poses.

2. Several user interface elements ignore the swap mouse button setting.

Dimension 3D - Poser Tools, Poser Props and Morphs, Cinema 4D Plugins, and more

Renderosity Store / D3D Web Site

Kalypso ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 3:39 AM
Site Admin
  1. The new morph tool:  When trying to adjust pokethrough and pull out the clothing, although the skirt was selected from the drop down each time I clicked Poser selected the V4 character instead.  I gave up and used magnets.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:08 AM

confirming animation pause going back to start and delete key sporadically not deleting, very anoying

14  spordadic confusion of y-scale and y-axis when custom fitting skulcaps, various vendors.

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:45 AM · edited Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:45 AM

Quote - About 8, I addressed this to E-Frontier. Be sure you give access to the (local) net, maybe check your firewall settings. This worked for me, however I still don't know why rendering in a separate process always accesses the network. E-Frontier says it's to check no other copy of Poser is running in the network with the same registration number, but I don't see what this has to do with rendering in a separate process.

Read those ReadMe files, people. It's clearly explained in the Poser 7 readme: > Quote - New in version 7 is the option to render in a separate process. In order to communicate with the render process, Poser uses sockets. Some personal firewall software mistakenly reports this as an attempted connection to the internet. If you wish to render in a separate process, you will have to allow network communication on localhost (127.0.0.1) in your personal firewall software for Poser.exe and FFRender.exe.

Guida ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 8:09 AM

Dunno if it's a bug but.. (P6 allows this for me)

1. I can't change the preview window size for a size larger than my screen resolution (1280x1024), you may think it's useless and yea you can render at higher sizes, but a bigger size on preview gives me a better perception of the image,  P6 allows this.

2. When the file name has dots in it (e.g. Sydney.2.pz3) the preview window title will only show Sydney, not Sydney.2... a bit confusing if you have several files with numbers like that :)

rofocale ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 8:21 AM

I´m glad they don´t sell cars...

Maz ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 11:25 AM
  1. Recent File History permanently loses ftrack of files if theyare on en external drive that's not powered up at the time that Poser.exe was fired up.

2. Opening or importing a Poser 3 figure makes Poser completely disappear without an error message or a 'by your leave'.

Mason ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 12:51 PM

"5. delete button not always working..you have to mess around clickin stuff in your scene til it works"

Yes definitly is broken. I found you click on an object, hit delete and nothing happens then you have to re click on the object for delete to happen. Sadly you can theoretically click on another object and that will get deleted instead.

Natolii ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:05 PM

Quote - "5. delete button not always working..you have to mess around clickin stuff in your scene til it works"

Yes definitly is broken. I found you click on an object, hit delete and nothing happens then you have to re click on the object for delete to happen. Sadly you can theoretically click on another object and that will get deleted instead.

Figure Pull-down > Delete is the current work around until the keyboard shortcut is fixed.

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:24 PM
  1. When rendering with a background image your alpha channel is solid.  Big Problem for those who use this in postwork.

DCArt ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:12 PM
  1. The new morph tool:  When trying to adjust pokethrough and pull out the clothing, although the skirt was selected from the drop down each time I clicked Poser selected the V4 character instead.  I gave up and used magnets.

Select V4 (or your figure) and lock the figure. That should help.

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:28 PM · edited Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:30 PM
  1. FFRender.exe crashes when using 3D motion blur (dual-core system; seperate processes selected). No problems at all using 2D motion blur in preview mode. At first, I thought it had something to do with how I had open_shutter and close_shutter set but they were on their default settings.

Also noticed bugs #5 (delete button) and #13 (morphing tool) but didn't pay too much attention to them since I kinda sorta had workarounds for them.

Spanki ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:40 PM

Quote - 19. When rendering with a background image your alpha channel is solid.  Big Problem for those who use this in postwork.

I just came here to post about that - this sucks bigtime.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Kalypso ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:51 PM
Site Admin

Thanks Deecey :)  You know I thought of that and said "Naaah, can't be that easy!" lol - now I'm off to try it!

Thanks again :)

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:59 PM

Quote - 13. The new morph tool:  When trying to adjust pokethrough and pull out the clothing, although the skirt was selected from the drop down each time I clicked Poser selected the V4 character instead.  I gave up and used magnets.

Hold the shift key. It's my favorite keyboard shortcut :)

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 3:52 PM

A few oddities with saved lights and light sets.

Saved lights are embedding the preview geometry in the PZ3 / LT2 rather than referring to a geometry resource or OBJ file.
There is a second copy of the preview geometry in each lights channel section.

When saving  a single light (using the subset option), all the shadow cams are in the LT2 not just the one for the light chosen.

JHoagland ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 9:55 PM

Are we sure the Delete key doesn't work?
Keep in mind that Poser 7 stores every action in its "undo" buffer. If the object is large enough, it will seem like Poser is "hanging" as it tries to remove the object.

Has anyone actually done any kind of testing to see what effect this buffer has on Poser's speed? Will Poser start to slow down significantly if you've deleted multiple V4 figures (for example) while working on your scene?

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 10:00 PM · edited Wed, 20 December 2006 at 10:03 PM

The delete key indeed does not work at all times.  From my testing, it seems that the Delete key works on Figures, but not on Objects like Props.  Accessing the appropriate delete menu command (Figure->Delete Figure and Object->Delete Object) work fine.

i'll add another bug:

Dynamic Cloth simulations only work on the first group created.  I tested this with V4 and V4 Summer Fashion.  Whether I put the skirt or the top into a 2nd cloth simulation group, the second simulation would not work properly and the object in question would just fall through V4.  Putting all dynamic cloth objects into the same (first) simulation group "solved" the problem.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 1:07 AM

I'll add that I've had problems with the delete key.  Tried to delete some hair, but it wouldn't go.  Suddenly V4 was gone (I might have clicked her during my mad delete attempts), hair was still there.  Clicked hair (now the only thing left in my scene) still it would not delete.

Spanki ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 3:02 AM

I've had similar problems with the delete key - it seems like it might be a window focus issue or something.

In addition, the new Morph Tool just flat out does not work consistantly (on my system, at least).  I still hadn't tracked it down, but it appears to be related to how close you have zoomed in to the model.  The result is, the tool highlighting just doesn't show up and the tool doesn't do anything when you click and drag.  It sometimes picks other objects (like the Ground), so I've tried hiding everything, but it still won't work in a lot of cases.

When this is happening, the cursor seems to flicker beteween the arrow and the cross-hair as I move it across the edit window.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Netherworks ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 3:22 AM

Quote - 11. Remove poses for binary morphs only work for compressed poses, but not for uncompressed poses.

I was wondering why is was working in some and not in others.  Good sleuthing! :)

Netherworks ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 3:31 AM

Yes, the delete key is sporadically not working for me.  It's not waiting for undo as it happens on very simple objects.

I just wind up using my quick delete script, but it's a workflow thing - I'm used to just pressing the button.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:21 AM

I can't get the alpha channel issue to appear on my system. Both PNG's and TIFF's have their alpha channels like always. No problem as far as I can tell.

I have a weird non-delete issue yesterday. The Tuxedo jacket for Simon. I couldn't delete it. The "Delete Object" was greyed out" and the delete key didn't work (and yes, I was SURE I'd selected the right thing)

I had to eventually scale it to 0% to get rid of it.

*7. They STILL never fixed preview mode going to full mode when exiting the material room.

*I'm not sure what that means? Can you explain?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Spanki ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:50 AM

Trekkie,

• Go to material room (advanced).
  • select background object
  • in the "BG Picture" node, load a texture (it will automagically hook tht node up when you do this)
  • go back to pose poom
  • render (make sure there's a figure of some sort in the scene that you want an alpha mask for)
  • save the render as a .tiff file
  • check the alpha channel in the .tiff file in your paint program - it's ALL solid (white), because the 'background' image is being included in the mask and it should not be (was not included in P6).

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 8:30 AM

Ah yes, rendering over a background PICTURE - but this is the first time someone mentioned THAT bit. All that was said so far was that you had to render over black, which is not the case.

I tried, and you're right. If there's a picture in the BGPicture node, the alpha channel doesn't work.

Sooooo I have made some experiments and noticed a weird thing:

If I plug the picture into the normally grey background colour node instead of using the Background Picture AND I use the Wacro Delete detached nodes, it works. AS LONG AS I DON'T LEAVE THE MATERIAL ROOM. As soon as I leave the material room, the nodes are rewired to use the Background Picture, and in that case: No Alpha.

So if I render the pic while still in the Material Room I CAN get a png with transparent background even when using a background picture AND if I save it as a TIFF I get a picture that contains an alpha channel.

So there is a workaround but it's clunky and I agree it's a bug.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for the work-around Trekkie, and this should be easy for them to fix for a service release as it has been okay in the past.

Can you render an animation from the material room? You certainly can trigger it, but I wonder if the files rendered out to the folder of the image sequence will respect the alpha channel or not.

::::: Opera :::::

mickmca ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 9:32 AM
  1. OpenGL still prefers that your figures look like narrators from Tales of the Crypt, with bulging eyes and teeth. Very distracting; turned Sydney into something that gave me nightmares.

2. If you choose to install legacy content during your initial setup, you get the pre-P7 stuff instead of the P7 stuff, rather than in addition to it. Cost me a half hour of WTF digging before I decided that was the reason I couldn't find Sydney (Simon Casual installs anyway, which is a bit of a red herring).

And Spanki's problem with the Morph Tool reminds me of the Grouping Tool problem (P6) that could be resolved by zeroing the Hither settings on the Camera. Zooming too close for the Hither setting made it impossible to select polys, even though you could see them. Connection?

M

bluecity ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 9:33 AM

I've been having problems when Poser 7 is first started, clicking anywhere on the menu gives me the "Build Folder Menu" prompt first, but when you select it, nothing happens......Poser 6 did this to - I guess because my main Runtime is a bloated mess of 20 GB, but it would ask for a confirmation then do it. In P7 it does nothing and is essentially unusable. I've found that if I exit the program, then restart it, it's fine, but it's pretty annoying to have to run the program twice. Has anyone else had this problem?

tastiger ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 12:29 PM

I'll add my material room "bug" to the list where it opens the window with the scroll bar right at the bottom so you have to scroll wayyyyyy up to see the nodes.

Although others have reported this since Poser 5 - this is the first version I have the issue with.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Netherworks ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 12:42 PM

#21 - Have never noticed this.  I'm on an nvidia 6800.

tastiger, have never gotten that bug either.  Are you able to set up the material room the way you want it and then save as your preferred state?

blbarrett ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 1:55 PM

not really bugs, but certainly a problem: 1. Point lights do not retain their scaled size after saving a scene file, and are difficult to move with the move tool ( they move but very slowly) Using the Trans Dials works a bit better but is a cumbersome process. 2. Mouse movement is confined to the display, rather than continuing as you click and drag... this ties into 1. Some of what I've read in this thread I've experienced too, but other things have not been an issue on my system...... Weird! I hope these two things have not already been mentioned :)

tastiger ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:03 PM

Quote -

tastiger, have never gotten that bug either.  Are you able to set up the material room the way you want it and then save as your preferred state?

No - doesn't seem to matter what the preferred state is - it only seems to happen if yo start changing nodes or adding things - I wrote about it here ......

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Netherworks ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:15 PM

Quote - not really bugs, but certainly a problem: 1. Point lights do not retain their scaled size after saving a scene file, and are difficult to move with the move tool ( they move but very slowly) Using the Trans Dials works a bit better but is a cumbersome process. 2. Mouse movement is confined to the display, rather than continuing as you click and drag... this ties into 1. Some of what I've read in this thread I've experienced too, but other things have not been an issue on my system...... Weird! I hope these two things have not already been mentioned :)

True that.  I wonder if some issues are akin to openGL implementation, which could be graphics card/drivers related.  Surely, the "bug eyes" one is.  An older card especially one without openGL 2.0 design is going to cause problems and I expect that older Radeons are certainly going to.

Good, bad or ugly, I stick with nvidia after several bad experiences with early ATI cards.

Kalypso ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:31 PM
Site Admin

bluecity I've had the same problem with Build Folder Menus.  But mine is even worse, because I have my very bloated P4 runtime linked (I never bothered to tidy that up with P5, P6 and now P7!) when I get the build folder menus option and select it, Poser crashes.  It works ok if I select each one of the libraries and open them, although it takes time.   I've already reported this over at the content paradise forums but you're the only other person I've seen mention it.  

Oh and it is a P7 bug because P6 has no problem with those huge directories.

Guida ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:33 PM

As for the "bug eyes" raising the hither dial on the active camera worked for me in P6, in P7 i didn't have to do it yet, granted i didn't explore everything (too busy learning how to do decent HDRI lighting with it)

sakelsey ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:43 PM

When using the Walk Designer, the hip doesn't hold any of the morphs I'm using.  Therefore, the hip looks "normal" when the rest of the figure is slimmer, fatter, etc.

Also, moving any of the dials, morph or not, that pertain to the hip have no effect at all.

Also, the Joint Editor will not zero the figure. There is no way I can adjust any of the positions of anybody part  (scale works - bend, twist, etc, do not) (please remember, nothing works on the hip at all). In other words, once I use the Walk Designer, I have to reload the figure if I want to change anything at all.

I can't believe this would be a system-wide bug.  It probably has to do with something in my figure.  I'm using V3 (both regular and SR2). All of these symptoms occur using the un-altered SR2 (right out of the box). Removing the IK has no effect.

Spanki ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 4:31 PM

Quote - ...And Spanki's problem with the Morph Tool reminds me of the Grouping Tool problem (P6) that could be resolved by zeroing the Hither settings on the Camera. Zooming too close for the Hither setting made it impossible to select polys, even though you could see them. Connection?

M

Thanks!  That was indeed the problem and work-around.

Digitell ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 4:32 PM

Render Dimensions:
When I set the Resolution to render the image at 300 dpi the image saves as 72 Dpi. I contacted e-frontier tech support on this issue and they were not aware of it yet. Here is what they wrote to me:

<em>Hi,<br></br><br></br>Wow. This is a problem. We knew about the Jpeg issue but I've just <br></br>tested on both PSD and PNG, only to find that the problem persists. It's a <br></br>bug for sure. I'll have to let the engineers know. Thanks for bringing <br></br>this to our attention. To compensate for the lack of being able to set <br></br>DPI, you can multiply the resolution by the dpi you wanted it to be to <br></br>get an idea of how high you need to set the render dimensions to get an <br></br>image of equal size. Note that though the output in that case would be <br></br>72 dpi, you'll be able to print it and get quality similar to that of <br></br>the dpi you originally wanted it to be. It's a cheap work-around but <br></br>it's all I have until we get a service release out the door.<br></br><br></br>Sincerely,<br></br>Teyon Alexander<br></br>e frontier Technical Support<br></br><br></br><br></br></em>So glad they now know about it!

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 5:24 PM

I think ol EF is going to be pretty aware of a lot of things..LOL! For me I noticed that if I'm using, let's say the main camera and I have it positioned the way I want, then got to another camera, then go back to the main camera the position of the camera is way off the mark and not even close to where I had it set. I don't know, it maybe something I'm doing too. But I can't remember having this problem in P6.

My Facebook Page

Maz ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 5:58 PM
  1. Inability to change colours (sometimes) with imported figures/props

A figure created in P6 performs well when opened in P7. However, the same figure if imported into Poser 7 doesn't. I now have a scene with a figure with two black shoes and an identical figure imported into the same scene having one black shoe and one purple shoe. Worst of all, Poser 7 won't let me change these colours. The problem only seems to occur (so far) with props .

sturkwurk ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:11 PM

Quote - Ah yes, rendering over a background PICTURE - but this is the first time someone mentioned THAT bit. All that was said so far was that you had to render over black, which is not the case.

I think you may have just overlooked THAT bit.  I did indeed mention that the problem I had was when I had a background image applied.  ;o)  

Glad to see this workaround!!! Thanks!!!
Douig

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

Morgano ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:13 PM

*Guida:  "15. I can't change the preview window size for a size larger than my screen resolution (1280x1024), you may think it's useless and yea you can render at higher sizes, but a bigger size on preview gives me a better perception of the image,  P6 allows this."

*Were you using SR3 on Poser 6?   I seem to remember reading that one of the Poser 6 upgrades introduced this restriction.

This is not the same as the problem digitell reported, which e-frontier has acknowledged (with fairly red faces, I trust).

Digitell ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:45 PM

With the last email they sent me I can confirm that they have red faces.

hirumono ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 3:20 AM

I'd like to add my own sad experience with the Cloth Room. I opened in P7 a mildly complex scene (Miki, hair, 2 dynamic clothes, one land prop, a particle system) I had built with P6 and used without a glitch. I used draping only for dynamic clothes - no animation at all.
As soon as I clicked on the draping button, I noticed Miki's hair stretching and moving away, leaving her completely bald. (The cloth draped, but differently than in P6 - it almost seemed like it was made of a completely different fabric. Maybe different internal units, like what happened in P6 with material room.)
I tried again and again, and this time it was Miki's head which got horribly warped. I saved the scene with another name and reloaded, and everything was OK. But, obviously, I still had to drape, as drape data can't be saved... 
At the end I gave up and tried to reopen my scene in P6, which locked up. I had to recreate it from a past save. 
So:

1. Change of dynamic clothing behaviour (ok, it's not quite a bug, but couldn't they reference it in the manual??);
  2. Random distortion of figures while draping dynamic models.

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 3:48 AM

I had the hair fly away problem in P6, I haven't experienced it yet in P7.  Hmmm.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.