Mon, Oct 21, 10:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Need help! Calling all figure creators!

picker ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:17 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:13 PM

I have these props i want made into figures, an dall my attempts are failed, can yall please try to thread a skeleton for them? If you do so, I will grant the maker a free copy of the figures with a plasma rifle prop and plasma pistol prop. But how do I know you will not gyp me and use it for your own uses? anywho..

If you wish to do this job for me, please email me at db458unit@Yahoo.com an dI will send you a zip fodler containing the required obbjects, textures and props.

jjroland ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:29 PM

You're probably not aware of the derogatory associations with the word "gyp" - so no offense intended and Im definately not a PC policeman - 

but maybe just for forum enlightenment that word is considered as offensive to many as to say "But how do I know you will not Jew me and use it for your own uses".

There's some debate regarding the origin of the word - but in my experience it's best to err on the safe side rather than to associate an entire group of people with cheating and/or thievery.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

picker ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:36 PM

Aw jeez, sorry,  I wasnt aware of that, okay then, I'll edit it then

picker ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:37 PM

okay... I cant edit it

jjroland ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:59 PM

lmao Im sure there are no worries = )

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 5:46 PM

Attached Link: http://www.cocs.com/poser/refridge.htm

See link above for a good tutorial on making figures from props. 

Interesting to note that 'gyp' is percived as insulting in the US - in the UK that word means something causing annoyance or  discomfort:  Examples: 'that kid gave me some gyp' or 'my arm is giving me gyp'.

When we use that word with an O - 'gypo' that means gypsy not 'jew'. Though the PC police don't allow that or other terms such as 'pikey' or 'tinker' to be used - we have to use terms like 'travelling community'. 

This is the same kind of PC nonense that means you can't use words like 'brainstorm' in case you upset epilectics!

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 9:26 PM

The term gyp doesn;t bother me as much as the insult implied in that someone would agree to rig his figure for the purpose of stealing it. For someone asking for a favor, and a significant one at that, that;s a heck of a note to start off on! Just makes me want to jump out there and spent a few hours for no pay!

mike

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 10:16 PM

The term Gyp comes from the days when Gypsies were all considered "Thieves", much as to  Jew comes from bigots calling all Jewish people thieves. Both terms are equally offensive as they are bigoted and judgemental remarks. Asking for help and calling people  thieves in the same post isn't exactly going to engender good will from any possible rigger's.

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 11:07 PM

I am offended by the arrogance of the p.c. police in presuming to tell someone else what they can and cannot say.

Can we ban them now too?

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

jjroland ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 11:20 PM

Please direct my attention to the post where someone did that?  I either missed it or I'm blind....

Initially I pointed it out assuming the person was not aware, obviously he was not, he learned something new today - and you take issue with that?  Im sorry - dotdotdot

picker ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 2:18 AM

Excuse me, This board is for the posted topic, please take this somewhere else, I get it, Gyp is an offensive term and i wont use it again, now please, unless you have something to deal with the topic, please take it somewhere else.

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 5:32 AM

picker  -  I don't find your useage offence at all - did you try the tutorial link as shown in post 6 ?   

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 11:14 AM

seems strange..;) trust, or trust not...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 2:21 PM

I believe "gyppo" was also a derogatory slang term referring to egyptians. in the meantime, if picker were to post an image of his item, that might help them decide if they wanna do it. personally I hate having to be politically correct all the time, but the alternative doesn't work here - that's been proven time and again.

picker ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 4:10 PM

Well, yes, I tried the link, but everytime I go there, my comp freezes up

Zarat ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 4:49 PM

The suggestion to post a picture of what needs rigging is good.
Isn't rig also a synonym for betray, deceive, chouse?

jjroland ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 4:55 PM

sigh

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 5:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.cocs.com/poser/makingfigure1.htm

the refridge link above works for me, but maybe they were referring to the attached link. in the meantime, I hadda check the OED for "chouse" - my knowledge of modern english slang is far from compleat :lol:

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 2:29 PM

I doubt that someone whom is advanced enough to know how to rig meshes, and kind enough to do it for you just for the asking, would resort to snagging someone else's mesh... 

Plus, being that rigging (depending on the model) can take some time and effort, rather then worrying about being ripped off, I tend to offer to acknowledge it as a collaboration. otherwise, you're sort of taking their work without acknowledging or appreciating it.

Dear Mr. Sparkey, my ADD is feeling rather slighted by use of the term brainstorm...  ;) :P
  ....  now, where was I, storm... yeah, it was cold and it rained here last week :D

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 1:57 PM · edited Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:00 PM

These models I need rigged, problem is, All my attempts are crap... Some are, And the joints reeeeeeaally screw up the model if bent in a certain way... I have marine models, but those were pretty darn easy, the problem with the spartan is the armor, I dont want the plates to bend with the joints.

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:23 PM

rig the underlying figure.....do the plates on a separate layer, or as a second (clothing) figure, name them with the corresponding underlying body part...just like you would with clothing....and, that should be it,  You're wanting these rigged for use in Poser, right?  So if you do it this way, the body will be a regular body...use that cr2 for the armor...and conform them to the body.

What modelling app did you use?  Have you tried boning in that?

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:27 PM

But I dont know how to do so... I'm still a noob, and yes its poser

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:34 PM

but, what did you model them in?  I can bone stuff in lightwave (my app)and still just import them in and pose them in Poser.  Your modeller might hold a clue here, too.

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:45 PM

I didnt model them, I imported them from the game

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:46 PM

those are some nice-looking creatures IMVHO. picker, what's the source for those items? did you create them in some 3D modeller? I ask because (as noted by poppi), modelling apps usually have boning or rigging functions.

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:49 PM

Like I said, I imported them with Gbx model converter, and rendered them in poser

surreality ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:55 PM

Er... I'm really not so sure you'd be allowed to distribute something imported/exported in such a fashion (especially for sale or without some very explicit permissions by the game's creator), as it's not an obj file you created, but I could be wrong.

-D
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye texture.

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:56 PM

I know, But I just want to have them boned for my own rendering, and or possibly animation, I could export them as an Obj

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:59 PM

and I mean, even if it were copyright, I've seen thousands of things made from other video games and I never heard them needing permission, and two, How can I contact Bungie studios?

surreality ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 3:02 PM
  1. It's not an 'even if it were' -- it is copyrighted. There's not a quibbly area in there, at least so far as I know. 2. I've never even heard of them, so I have no earthly idea.

-D
---

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 3:04 PM

it is really a "no can do".  Those game meshes belong to the person who originally modelled them.  Since they are "boned" for animation in the game....contact the game creators.  Perhaps they will send you a rigged copy.  Those are some sweet looking models, btw.

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 3:05 PM

Ok, So It is okay to use the models for commercial use, but only if I credited Bungie?

surreality ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 3:06 PM

Credit and permission are not the same thing.

-D
---

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 3:27 PM

**So It is okay to use the models for commercial use, but only if I credited Bungie?
**No.  Do you have any idea how much work goes into making a model?  There are many in the modelling community (myself included) that feel they have a right to monetary compensation for their hard work.  To turn your own phrase.....you'd be "gypping" him of his compensation.  And, you just admitted that you actually wanted to use them commercially.

Learn to model.  Make your own.  Noobness does not last forever.  There are a number of good free modelling programs you could get started with.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 4:21 PM

he can legally bone and rig the models himself, for his own use. so it ain't hopeless IMVHO. he can also ask somebody who already owns the game/models to bone and rig them, but said person can't distribute the rigged models legally, unless they are distributed via encoded file that requires the recipient to own the source files. I ain't a lawyer.

jjroland ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 4:25 PM

Be interested to find out what he means by "commercial" use. 

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 4:42 PM · edited Wed, 02 May 2007 at 4:53 PM

What exactly does commercial mean anyway?

jjroland ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 5:00 PM · edited Wed, 02 May 2007 at 5:01 PM

That you are either going to sell it, or produce it in a way that earns you money.  IE use the character in a movie that sells copies.  Or make the character widely available publicly.

So if this is for you and a group of your buddies who want to make youtube videos for fun - you're probably ok.   IE personal use.  
But if that robot starts selling tide detergent for you, you might find yourself in trouble.  

www.dictionary.com  probably does a better job of defining than I just did, but I'm rendering and already have too many windows open : p

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 5:04 PM

Oh, Well yes, I want to use it for animation, I dont really find money too valuable at my age, I just want to show off my animations is all. I was just inspired to these animations by mister Monty Oum.

Letterworks ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 5:50 PM

picker, if its and animations for demonstration purposes, say something to show your skills, but not for distribution (sale to tv or other outlets) and you are NOT going to sell or WIDELY distribute the figures (no placing them in freestuff or on torrents) than you probably won;t get into trouble, since this could be concidered "fair use" but you may still be breaking the letter of the law. I wouldn;t worry about it if it's to "show off" your animations

At any rate from an earlier post it sounds like yoiu are having problems with the JOINT PARAMETERS with you own attempts to rig the figures. If you are using one of the pose native figures (Simon etc.) or one of the DAZ figures (Michael etc.) for "donar" CR2s you will need to adjust the JPs to accomodate the differences ins sizes and joint centers of the new meshes. PhilC and Dr.Geep (Search either name) bot have excellent tutorials on the subject. 

I would STRONGLY recommend you give it another try after reading looking into those tuts. THEN if you still have problems post them here or on the "Character Creators" forum for help. Be as specific as possible with your questions and, where possible, show example screen shots of the problams. Believe me you'll feel much more accomplishment in doing the work yourself, and if your efforts are to showcase your talents it'll be an even bigger feather in your cap to say "I rigged those myself!". Who knows the next step might be to MODEL your very own figures.

mike

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 6:36 PM

The poser 7 default male? I dont have Ps7, and I could try the tip

Letterworks ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 7:51 PM

picker, which poser version do you have? You said you attempted to rig the figures. Was it done in one of the Setup Rooms. (P5, 6 or 7) where you import a donar skeleton? If so which one?

mike

picker ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 11:06 PM

I use poser 6, and whats a donar skeleton?

Letterworks ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2007 at 12:14 AM

OK, here are some tutorials right here on Renderosity you should look at, they may be for earlier versions of Poser but they are still basically correct. These are mostly centered on creating Poser clothing but a clothing figure and a charater figure are basically the same thing, just in the case of clothing you "conform" it to another figure so it follows the motion. For a hoot load your Female figure (Jessi) and then load your male figure (James) and try conforming James to Jessi or vice versa.

First start here:
http://www.e-frontier.com/article/articleview/44/1/25/

Another really Great source is here:
http://istore.mikrotec.com/philc/index1.html?page=catalog&category=a&vid=668437709&pid=842974680&oldvid=2143420604

Note I bought that to start my experience in figure creation when it was still CD only, and a lot more expensive. It's been updated regularly and is a great resource for modeling as well as poser content.

Here's another free tut:
http://www.nerd3d.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=11

And here is a Doctor Geep tutorial on Joint Parameters:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=639

A donor skeleton is used in the Setup Room, basically it is an easy way to "borrow" one figure;s CR2 to create a new one for your own figure. It'a one of the easier methods to start creating figures. Just remember that you can;t sell or distibute a figure with a CR2 that contains proprietary information (Morph targets are such info, basically any thing but the plain jane CR2 format information).

mike

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2007 at 3:05 PM

e-frontier allows redistribution of their jps (donor cr2 files,) but daz doesn't IIRC.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.