Fri, Sep 20, 9:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 7:06 PM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 7:10 PM

Quote - Sure. It's all good.

I'm having fun teasing.

You (collectively) are having fun speculating.

And Steve Cooper is having fun reading this thread. He told me so today.

Yeah, apparently he's not the only one.  8^)

And the one thing everyone uses, well there's several I can think of, but most of all the Poser Library.  Dang, this is fun!  8^)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 7:14 PM · edited Tue, 07 July 2009 at 1:06 PM

image removed

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 8:20 PM

>> " Each sensible user would rather get DAZ Studio, except a handful old dinosaurs who have got too much used to Poser that they are incapable of changing their habits; And that's not a market share."

Oh please.

Anything else trollish you want to add to the discussion?

I'm sorry, but I cant take anything you say seriously if you're going to frame it like that. So you prefer Studio. Huzzah and hurrah for you.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

rty ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 8:35 PM

Quote - So you prefer Studio. Huzzah and hurrah for you.

Well no, I actually don't (else I wouldn't care about P8, would I).

I'm just tearing Poser staff from their delusions of grandeur. They're not the only ones anymore, and their competitor is (AFAIK, until we learn more), better (as in more advanced) than them. So it's certainly not the "kewl" new P8 figures which will save P8 from being ridiculous compared to the competition.

That might indeed look like trolling, but it's actually more like trying to administer an electroshock supposed to get the heart beating again. For Poser's heart has (IMHO, you're entitled to your opinion) stopped beating some time ago, lagging more and more behind compared to what (more or less direct) competitors are able to do today, for the same price.

And what does that mean?
Less new clients. Plus, old clients leaving.
And what does that mean?
Not profitable.
And what does that mean?
RIP.
Go get find a job elsewhere. Just don't tell them you worked for (giggle) Poser.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 9:17 PM

Hey Sean,

Please don't feed the trolls.

8^)

rty ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 9:29 PM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 9:31 PM

All right, all right, I know, reality is hard to face; So I'll leave you to your celebration of Alison's arrival and won't interfere anymore.

Just keep in mind, you get what you ask for - you ask for nothing, you get nothing.

Over and out.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 9:42 PM

:: sigh :: Children. Raised by wolves, it seems.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 10:02 PM

I can't seem to make this point clear, even though I've talked about it for weeks.

Poser 8 is getting the features the community asked for, BY MAJORITY. If it doesn't meet all your requirements, that does not prove that Poser has missed the mark. It means your needs do not represent those of the majority of users.

The number 1 problem with Poser is not 64-bit or subsurface scattering or area lights or getting rid of the bizarro Kai interface widgets.

it is managing a content library with 500,000 ITEMS. I'm not joking. Now think about the dollars represented by each user who has 500,000 content items in his fricking runtimes, of which he/she has several hundred. This is a person spending $2000 to $10000 a year on content!

You think that the $125 upgrade bothers this person? Hardly. If you feed this person what he/she wants, and make it easier to manage a MILLION content items, he/she will go buy 500,000 more items.

And, such a person is not fascinated with speeding his/her workflow, via amazing pro-grade UI. This is a person who spends all day in a bedroom playing with dolls. If you make it faster to use, then they'll run out of things to try and have to go outside or something.

You guys (and me) with your empty runtimes and dreams of faster renders are in the minority.

I'm exaggerating a little bit, but that's the universe here. Sure, there are tons of us that don't fit that classification, me included. So what. The definition of minority is not that we are few in number, but that we are vastly fewer than the other group.

I'm not saying I like the emphasis on content. I'm saying that I'm sick of armchair marketing pundits (i.e. pretty much any of us Rendo Poser forum frequent posters) claiming that Poser is not addressing its market. It is addressing its market with this release. Deal with it.

If you like Daz better, then use Daz. It isn't even $50, it's free and always has been. Plenty of people have explained why they prefer Poser, even at a price.

I like Poser because I dig the material room. Fun puzzles. And I like to help people, and I like the people here. So I don't really care what the new features are. I'll teach you how to get the most out of them, after it's released.

I don't make art for any other reason than to know how to make it. Simple as that.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 10:07 PM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 10:07 PM

Oh, and let me make this clear, in case you read too far into my last post.

The renderer is faster. Faster enough to upgrade? Not sure - depends on what you're doing.

The renderer can do something new that's really important.

Paloth ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 12:15 AM

Since only a few people use the Setup Room, I wonder if Poser 8 developers will bother to  squash the bugs ignored since version 5, particularly since Daz already offers a solution that works without crashing on every other attempt to save. 

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

722 ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 12:19 AM

Quote - I can't seem to make this point clear, even though I've talked about it for weeks.

Poser 8 is getting the features the community asked for, BY MAJORITY. If it doesn't meet all your requirements, that does not prove that Poser has missed the mark. It means your needs do not represent those of the majority of users.

The number 1 problem with Poser is not 64-bit or subsurface scattering or area lights or getting rid of the bizarro Kai interface widgets.

it is managing a content library with 500,000 ITEMS. I'm not joking. Now think about the dollars represented by each user who has 500,000 content items in his fricking runtimes, of which he/she has several hundred. This is a person spending $2000 to $10000 a year on content!

You think that the $125 upgrade bothers this person? Hardly. If you feed this person what he/she wants, and make it easier to manage a MILLION content items, he/she will go buy 500,000 more items.

And, such a person is not fascinated with speeding his/her workflow, via amazing pro-grade UI. This is a person who spends all day in a bedroom playing with dolls. If you make it faster to use, then they'll run out of things to try and have to go outside or something.

You guys (and me) with your empty runtimes and dreams of faster renders are in the minority.

I'm exaggerating a little bit, but that's the universe here. Sure, there are tons of us that don't fit that classification, me included. So what. The definition of minority is not that we are few in number, but that we are vastly fewer than the other group.

I'm not saying I like the emphasis on content. I'm saying that I'm sick of armchair marketing pundits (i.e. pretty much any of us Rendo Poser forum frequent posters) claiming that Poser is not addressing its market. It is addressing its market with this release. Deal with it.

If you like Daz better, then use Daz. It isn't even $50, it's free and always has been. Plenty of people have explained why they prefer Poser, even at a price.

I like Poser because I dig the material room. Fun puzzles. And I like to help people, and I like the people here. So I don't really care what the new features are. I'll teach you how to get the most out of them, after it's released.

I don't make art for any other reason than to know how to make it. Simple as that.

Thats funny!!!!!!

philebus ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 2:49 AM

Well, I don't mind admitting that I have a bloated runtime, collected over quite a few years now. I'm not sure that I like the suggestion that I sit around playing with dolls though - I just need to do the odd illustration, something I've not done much of lately but am finding need of again. I can't draw, at least, not without a set square and a compass, so Poser represents a good solution for me - thanks to the toon and dry media shaders from RDNA, and being able to create fair (I'm not looking for photorealism) renders to take into Painter or Artrage for overpainting in oils.

As for the UI, I find it a comfortable working environment that fits my needs. I'm not creating a masterpiece, I'm arranging content for postworking or natural media rendering, I don't need a techie interface with a billion features that I'll never use. That doesn't make me a dinosaur - it just means that Poser works for my needs. Of course, I'm not saying that I don't want more, I would love improved dynamic cloth and faster rendering is never a bad thing, I'm just saying that Poser is a niche product, I dont' think it was ever intended to become the high end app that some people seem to want of it.

I do have Carrara, which I am learning again because I will need to do some animation later in the year. I would suggest that folk who are not satisfied with Poser look at that. It isn't perfect but the pro edition has much more of what some people are asking, including faster rendering and up to 10 nodes in a network, albeit at a higher price, of course (unless you're upgrading - then it's about the same, it is a bargain really). And here's where I do agree with BB, for the price, what can folk realistically expect? If people want high end features, then they should expect to pay a high end price. I wonder if the Poser content market, with its vey low prices for often very high quality, has so spoilt people with its low prices that it has created expectations which have extended to the software.

It is interesting to see how Poser is used by professionals - and it is, although not 3D pros. When you see it, it is never used for photorealism but for simple illustrative animations and pictures or as elements of work extensively developed in Photoshop.

coldrake ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:12 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:17 AM

*bagginsbill wrote;

Quote - I can't seem to make this point clear, even though I've talked about it for weeks.

It's a good thing you're not Poser 8's Marketing director. ;)

Coldrake

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:16 AM

Quote -
It is the part that everybody uses, whether they animate or not, whether they make content or just download content, whether they are into realism or toon. There's one piece nobody can avoid. That's the part I'm working on - what every single one of you will be using. Don't think that doesn't give me pause.

maybe making it more easier to add plug-ins? 

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:19 AM

Well it's either the library or the lighting as everyone uses both every time they fire up Poser.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:27 AM

area lights.............................
and a better fake SSS  .........................

:-) 

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:42 AM

The thing is folks... you're too late! If they are advetising Poser 8 in a July magazine, you can list all the "WANTS" you like, but it's already to late! At this point the programing is already done, If anything they are in the bug squashing phase (or at least I hope they are!). I would assume the advertisement means, at most, a couple of months before release (maybe even at Siggraph) in which case they need to be just about ready to "go gold" is they haven;t already.

Speculate on new features... hope they found that the feature you want was called out for monthes ago, but don;t expect them to make any effort to re-progam Poser at this point, it ain't happening. If you don;t get your personal wish fulfilled then start lobbying for Poser 9, cause my bet is Poser 8 is all but in the box.

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 4:20 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 4:28 AM

Quote - > Quote - Bear in mind that as a subscriber copy it comes a week (sometimes more) earlier than when the issue hits shops. Maybe the link is meant to go live when the issue hits the shops.

I can't let this go, even though the SM guys told me to let it go. (In our weekly P8 status phone call. This thread was discussed, just so you know. Hehehe)

The magazine jumped the gun. They told SM no copies would go out before July 1, not even to subscribers.

The Poser guys are not idiots, just so you know.

It's called anticipation.... prepare for the worst...... prepare for just in case.

BTW I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about your communication with the poser guys, whoever they are. That has nothing to with you, but if they want to communicate let them do so themselves and interacted. Show us they're still humans, not some kind of machines. They shouldn't use some runner boy to convey their thoughts.

Whatever anyone tells and claims about Poser and the poser guys I will ignore from now on, unless it comes straight from SM.

To be very honest..... you talking to them and giving them advice worries me.... a lot at times. Especially when it's being portrayed that you represent us, you simply don't. Some of the improvements and pricing propositions you do communicate around here do worry me and are sure not my point of view. On the other hand, at least someone will get out of poser what he wants  ;-)

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

DarrenUK ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 4:47 AM

it is managing a content library with 500,000 ITEMS.

Poser does desperately need a better way of finding stuff in the library, but there are also other things that people have wanted improved or fixed for years that deserve attention as well.
If by the "MAJORITY" you mean the people who filled in the Smith Micro Survey quite a while back, well I was one of those people. The problem that I found with the survey was that a large number of the questions were geared to an improved library system. Other areas were maybe given a few questions or overlooked completely.
Some might think that "directed" questions meant that the new features had already been decided on, and that they were wanting opinion on what they had already done as opposed to asking what improvements we wanted.

I love the idea of finding content easier, I just hope that there is also enough new and improved stuff to keep people with more modest runtime sizes happy and want to upgrade. I expect we shall see over the next few months what those are, and hopefully some of the other things that people asked for have been listened to.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 5:28 AM

I have to admit, BB: I'm of two minds about your well-written (and very pointed) response. You're right: most of the forumites are so far into the program that it makkes me wonder why they havent moved on to the higher end ones, since it seems that what they want simply cant be fully addressed by an inexpensive little proggie like Poser (and I say that as a Poser devote with a decade working with this thing). Maybe it is time they moved on to a more serious software like Maya.

At the same time, you have to admit that some of the big advances came about because of the geeky faction: ERC, for axample. No one at Poser (or DAZ, for that matter) thought of it: it was some user who saw something missing. The clothing converters — there's another place where both software packages missed the boat. Users had been complaining for years that you couldnt shift a favourite outfit from one mesh to another, that every upgrade of the Showgirl meant you had to make the choice of staying one generation back because of the investment in content or moving forward because of the improvements in the mesh. The users got stuck in the middle of an impossible situation, and neither Poser nor DAZ chose to do anything about it. So that left it to, once again, the geek fringe to come up with a solution, something that, quite frankly, should have been part of the software if we're going to be catering on the basis of content.

I guess my point is: dont dismiss the folks who ask for the sort of thing that you think no one in the MAJORITY will care about. Those two examples above demonstrate pretty handily that sometimes even your sense of the "majority" misses the mark by the proverbial country mile.

And as a side note: about the interface. Yeah, maybe it's too late to say anything about it, but I'd happily bet my next week's paycheque that the "majority" are perfectly happy with the weird little Krause widgets. It's part of what makes Poser enjoyable, and, to be frank, it's why Studio just doesnt cut it for me. Studio comes across as trying desperately to prove it's high end when it's not. Poser invites you to come and play. Yeah, I use Poser as a professional tool for my illustration work, but it's that element of playfulness in the interface that keeps my job from becoming just that: a job. Other 3D packages I work with — ranging from FormZ to 3DStudio — all emphasize the technical, so much so that the style gets lost in the process. Poser, to date anyway, has refused to let go of that intrinsic charm that I suspent many of the users love.

You're right in that this is, in its essence, a toy. It has enormous potential that it's realized over the years, but it's still a wonderful, engaging toy. And there's nothing wrong with that: even the cheapest plastic chess pieces are just as capable of elegant gameplay as ones cast in gold and silver.

Shalimar-Cherie ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 5:35 AM

Quote - As much as I love Poser, $125 is the price of a toy and you get what you pay for. You want blazing fast high quality renders? Buy Maya at $4999.  Or even Vue at $895.

Frankly, this is quite a new experience for me working on something this inexpensive. For the last 10 years, every application I've worked on had a minimum price tag of $50,000. Most of the things I've worked on are $250,000 to $1,500,000. Considering that this community whines and complains about 500 times more than my million dollar customers - well that's pretty damn amusing.

Well to say it like it is , i purchased Vue7 Infi. why shoudn`t i purchase a Poser 8 with an absolut fabulous Render Engine ? If there is a new one ;-) .... to talk about a good Price for a new great Programm is out of Discusion .....
If it is as great Renderer as ... lets say Vue or Carrara ... hey i am in the Boat for sure !
So we also got a Material Room , is it the way to be used in full capabilities ?
The Ligh Capabilities  .. oweeee ... far behind on .. hem ..1990 ...

For a great working and rendering Program there are sure Costumers who pay the Price ;-).
I dont think E_On is useing their Software all by their selfs , they got their Clientele ... now why do they got it .... LOL .

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 5:46 AM

the reason why i am in poser is because i get a fully rigged body. i get morphs with the body and the face. i can make different types of body and faces. and all is rigges so i can do poses. that why i am in poser.
but i would like better options in the render.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 5:49 AM

I'm lazy, why would I want to move on to a program where I HAVE to do everything myself when Poser does almost everything for me at the click of a button?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 5:54 AM

i dont have interest in building a 100% human from scratch. here you get a figure and you can already make art.

Shalimar-Cherie ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 6:18 AM

Quote - Oh, and let me make this clear, in case you read too far into my last post.

The renderer is faster. Faster enough to upgrade? Not sure - depends on what you're doing.

The renderer can do something new that's really important.

Ahhh , now we are getting on the Point big smile !
Who said it needs to be faster , it needs to be better !
So from what you wrote here carefuly , without reading any speculations in it , it could be what has to be *fat smile * !
Lets hope ... i do for sure .

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 6:26 AM

If the focus of the new version is on content, then it would probably be good if the various crippling bugs with rigging were fixed.  It would be better if they were fixed in versions I've already paid money for (via patch) but that may be asking for too much I suspect.

My Freebies

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 6:49 AM

I've seen the figure of $125 for the upgrade tossed out twice, which could be a bargain depending on what other features/fixes are in the basket.

Dropping my Platinum Club subscription would just about cover it. :laugh:

I suppose the really important thing the renderer does is gamma correction-the source is BB, after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:00 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:08 AM

"This is a person spending $2000 to $10000 a year on content!

Or a person who knows how to type "Poser" and "torrent" into Google.

Same mistake the scale-modell companies made in the 80's and which almost led to their complete extinction:
Creating less than stellar products because they thought their "main focus group"  were "undemanding kids" instead of "serious adult hobbyists".

But frankly, I don't care anymore.

I already installed Studio on my machine and use it as a bridge to easily create custom morphs and joint fixes in ZBrush.

I want realistic humans for my art, so I need the best joint editing/mesh manipulating tools I can get.
And right now, Studio 3.0 blows PoserPro completely out of the water in that regard.

I hate to say it because I LIKE Poser, but it's the simple truth.

If some "new and improved" content management for the "play with Poser" crowd is Poser 8's main selling point, then any more minute spent with Poser is a waste of time.

I already had to base my work exclusively on DAZ meshes because whoever owns/owned Poser obviously can't/couldn't be bothered to pay for a figure artist with at least a rudimentary knowledge of human anatomy as well as the desire to create sensible mesh topology.

And so I guess I can as well join the dark side completely.

It's a shame. I DO love my "ancient" Kai Krause interface.
After all, cars still use four wheels to move from point a to b, and a steering wheel to go around corners since the Germans invented them over a century ago, so I guess some concepts are so perfect, they simply can't be improved upon.

But if it's Kai Krause vs more realistic looking poser people, better joints and more accurate shapes will surely win every time.

Yeah, I guess if I'd be 20yrs younger and healthy again, I wouldn't touch Poser or Studio with a ten foot pole and use MAX or MAYA instead.

But I already invested the last 9 years into Poser/DAZ, and I can't afford to throw that time and experience away and start again from zero.

Nethertheless I still want the best tool for my art, and ATM, it doesn't look like it would be Poser.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:08 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:09 AM

Some good replies here, but why are some replies "conclusions" that this or that isn't in the product, or its not for you. You don't have enough info yet to make that decision. You're saying these things based on your interpretation of the comments here. Some of these interpretations are wrong, but I'm not going to make anything completely clear until the official announcement and demonstrations.

There are plenty of new things I've not even hinted at. There are plenty of things people mentioned on this page that are in the product. I'm not sure I understand how you can conclude this isn't something you want, when you haven't seen it.

And, for what it's worth, I'm not advising SM at all, so don't think that the new features and functions are in any way influenced by me. They're not. At all. Some of them, I don't even understand because I've never used them. Some of them I totally don't care about. Some of them I do, and are enough to make me want to switch.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:11 AM

That was a little harsh, don't ya think? 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:17 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:18 AM

At least they've still got one customer then :-)

We'll have to see and wait what Poser 8 will bring. I do hope they will come out with a features/improvements list soon, so I can make up my mind and figure out if I've got to start saving up some money or not.

I really do hope they release the full feature list at once and release the list well before the product will be released and don't play these annoying games with us.

For me the major issue isn't only what will be in Poser, I'm still debating if I do want to invest money into a company like Smith Micro that treats customers the way they do. Still goto figure that out. For me that's almost as important as the features, especially knowing that D/S will in time to be a worthy contender, so I've got a choice and don't solely depend on Poser anymore. It's to bad that SM hasn't realised that yet. I'll wait and see how they do treat loyal customers. If they give new ones a better deal on  Poser (as EF managed to do) then long term users, then my decision my lean more and more towards D/S.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....

geep ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:30 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:31 AM

@ **aeilkema
re: "At least they've still got one customer then :-)."

No, at least 2 customers.  I have had more fun with Poser than any other software that I have ever "played" with and I have been using PCs when they only had an 8008 uP and 64K of RAM, yup, that's right, I said "K". :lol:  That was, um, about 30 years ago IIRC. 😄

BTW - Your links don't work - for me anyway ... ? :blink:**

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:31 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:33 AM

>> "I'm not sure I understand how you can conclude this isn't something you want, when you haven't seen it."

IMHO, it's because people have very long memories when it comes to Poser, and everyone's still a little gun shy because of the debacle that was Poser 5. We were promised a major upgrade with that version, and it arrived (through no fault of the developers, by the way) half-baked. Only now, with P7, are we finally seeing the promise realized to some degree.

And it's good, BB: but problem is, Poser is finding itself more and more in a reactionary position vis-a-vis Studio. DAZ did pull a good one by keeping the core program free and turning its entire user base into beta testers, thus allowing it to send out incremental upgrades and patches as needed (I lost count of how many there were with Studio 2, well over thirty, I'm sure, and I imagine I missed a few along the way). As a result, no one could ever really complain about something not working right because there would be 2.047281-6583 that would be released to deal with the issue.

But Poser cant work that way. You guys have to test by yourselves (or with your team), and no one in the marketplace gets to see anything until the software is released. With Studio, they just throw it out there, and, no matter how ill-wrought and buggy it might arrive, everyone gives DAZ a pass because it's made everyone part of the process. You dont have that luxury. With you, folks pay for it and then complain — sometimes very loudly — because money has been exchanged.

DAZ also has the advantage because of those fora. Frankly, SM taking them down at CP was a mistake, no matter how underutilized they might have been. DAZ uses those fora to monitor what's going on, and it does so in a very immediate (well, more or less) way. The customer base feels it has virtually full access to the DAZ team because, in a way, it does. Farr drops by and talks to people. Cooper doesnt. And that is a seriously big deal to a lot of people.

So on one hand, we have community-friendly, ready-to-give-away-the-store-at-the-drop-of-a-hat DAZ and on the other, somewhat distant, "we'll talk to you when we're ready" Smith Micro. Your software is being released in a month or two (or so I gather), and everyone's playing coy about it, with one image of Alison. From a marketing standpoint, that's silly, sorry. Maybe you guys dont want to talk about features because of the NDA (and please, spare me on those), hey, fine. But images? Test renders? Let's see 'em! Show us what you guys have in store, even if you cant talk about it! Wow the living crap out of us! Get us excited by more than "well, yeppers, it's coming". Trust me, that excitement will fade real quick, even as DAZ throws more and more teasers out there about its latest product development. You guys really need to start getting pro-active here.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:33 AM

So, um, when do ya think Poser 9 will be available? :lol:

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Shalimar-Cherie ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:56 AM

Quote - @ **aeilkema

No, at least 2 customers.  I have had more fun with Poser than any other software that I have ever "played" with and I have been using PCs when they only had an 8008 uP and 64K of RAM, yup, that's right, I said "K". :lol:  That was, um, about 30 years ago IIRC. 😄

Ok count me in as double , makes 4 at least LOL rofl .
No come on , now honestly ..why are we talking here .. for sure not because noone likes Poser .. huh?
Sure we like our Poser thats why we are here and we like to get it improved in Version 8 , on the same Step as others are already .
Dont we ..? ;-)

NaySayGuy ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 7:58 AM

Ah'm waitin fer da Posem 10 thingie.

Shalimar-Cherie ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 8:12 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2009 at 8:13 AM

Quote - >> " Each sensible user would rather get DAZ Studio, except a handful old dinosaurs who have got too much used to Poser that they are incapable of changing their habits; And that's not a market share."

Oh please.

Anything else trollish you want to add to the discussion?

I'm sorry, but I cant take anything you say seriously if you're going to frame it like that. So you prefer Studio. Huzzah and hurrah for you.

Aha .. my mirror must be lying then .... "Note to myself : need a new Mirror " !

vilters ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 8:38 AM

one of the best comments are in **SeanMartin's post.
He put the finger right on the wound.

**Just wish his message could get right into the company's internal "Sent to all" mailboxes.
Together with:

Why, oh why get  Poser's own figures so  little use? ? ? 
Sydney, had a nice face? But . . . who made those breasts? ? 
Who did the rigging? ?
If so little support came from external, why not trigger it ? ?

Help it by better (and initially free) supporting - updating your own figures? ? ?

A program is one thing; the figures-models are another.
DAZ can do it, so? ? ? It is a proven concept.

Why oh why, is everybody so focused on those zillion million point figures? ? ?
Just give some animators what they want cry for, for years. (for years)
Some low to medium, relatively good looking,  well bending figures. Posette was a good start. (and still is one of the best)
The P4-LoRes figures, where a gift from heaven.
I still use them more then any other model. (with another mapping that is).

And "good looking" should be read as,  realistic models.
Not those super trooper skinny things with balloons.

Any model needs at least a week of tweaking:

1. to lower the breasts at least 2" -  3" Are they originally filled with helium or so? ? 
  2. and to reduce them to a size A or B cup.

Thanks for reading.

But as said before, most probably too late for P8.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 8:40 AM

Quote - @ **aeilkema

I'm still having lots of fun with poser, but that isn't a guarantee that I will upgrade to a new version at all. I first want to see what it's like and even then I can only judge by what I read, can't even try a trial, which I normally do for others apps before I do buy. Poser Pro serves me well and SM has to pull out quite some things to get my upgrading, it has to be worth it and going from Poser 5 to Poser Pro, I can't say that every upgrade was worth the money asked for.

As for pc's, my first one was a 8086, but before that I had a TSR-80 that had only 4K!!! (Image how little you could do with that one). Also had a Vic20, C16, MSX2, but those are all from the 80's. I had about any model pc there is, the only thing I haven't bought yet is a quadcore.

BTW - Links should work now

Food for thought.....

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 8:43 AM

It's never too late for "other" developers to work on those concerns and tweak individual figures. 😉

It's very nice to hear somebody wanting a figure other than the super trooper skinny things with balloons! Very nice indeed.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 8:53 AM

yep..lo rez would be good with decent textures.

I've been using poser since V1 ... its come a long way from its roots...other than the core program :)

I like the interface as it is. To me, the camera controls are very easy to use, other than if you're doing a very large scene, which Poser was never meant to do anyway. The users expectations of the application are beyond its intent.  There have been a lot of addon items developed for Poser to enable huge scenes, etc...but the bottom line is that it makes a very good product for close work..portraits, or for posing characters to be imported into another application for final render. Its pretty decent for lip sync work, I was using Mimic though, not sure of the new deal with P7 as I never bought P7.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 10:08 AM

Quote - Not getting sucked in again. Hate to be a cloud but I see too many posts in here about all the previous versions having serious problems. That coffee didn't taste right? Let me make you a new more expensive cup. That didn't taste right? Let me make you a new and more expensive cup.................
Going to get off the train, but I'm sure some of you will let me know how wonderful it is and how much I'm missing out.
8^)

I kinda feel that way too. I'm a little gun-shy I have to admit. After all the problems I've had with Poser 7 (that I just bought about 2 months ago), I'm feeling a little dicey.

Laurie

RAMWorks ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 10:12 AM
Online Now!

Quote - :: sigh :: Children. Raised by wolves, it seems.

HEY NOW!! Leave my mother out of this Mr.!!  :biggrin:

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Shalimar-Cherie ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 10:27 AM

Quote - > Quote - Sure. It's all good.

I'm having fun teasing.

You (collectively) are having fun speculating.

And Steve Cooper is having fun reading this thread. He told me so today.

Yeah, apparently he's not the only one.  8^)

And the one thing everyone uses, well there's several I can think of, but most of all the Poser Library.  Dang, this is fun!  8^)

Hm , there is more then one thing ... the Lights ( would be very dark without ;-D ) , the Libraries ( would be empty without ), the Render Engine ( no renders without ) , Material Room ( biggest Toy ever and fun ) , Set Up Room ( important too ) ,
Its Poser itself i would assume ;-D ....

Angelsinger ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 11:37 AM

Quote - Have a look at this. It seems as if the hair has gotten WAY better:
http://www.seventhstreetstudio.com/simplecg/299/blue-eyes-2

To be clear, that image wasn't created using any recent version of Poser. I saved that image from seventh-street 4 years ago. ;)

And yet, all this time later, it still amazes me...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 11:44 AM

Shalimar,

You're still guessing, but I already gave out the Cupie Doll. Do you know what those are? In carnivals like 30+ years ago, this used to be the prize at games.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 11:52 AM

If it works better than un-patched Poser5 I'll buy it.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Shalimar-Cherie ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 11:55 AM

Oh aha ..well as i said , i am no old Dino LOL ,... sorry i didnt know about it blush
30+ ... hm i was still .. oh well ;-D .
And to make you smile once more , i was wondering about that Dolly already .... *blush Tomato Red *

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 12:07 PM

You werent the only one, trust me. :)

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 12:12 PM

so people who are reading between BB's lines. what did he meant?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.