Sun, Oct 6, 10:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: A Dummies Guide to Indirect Lighting in Poser 8

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:47 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 10:24 AM

I think many of us purchased... or are thinking of purchasing... Poser 8 for its ability to use Indirect lighting.

Personally... I am finding it difficult to achieve decent renders using indirect lighting and GI.

I appreciate that the subject has been discussed in other threads, but the details of how to use it correctly, settings, etc., are scattered within threads with a Huge number of posts covering many aspects of Poser 8 in general..

Could the Poser 8 Gurus please reveal the secrets of using Indirect Lighting and GI within Poser 8 in a more... dedicated thread..? Pleeease..!

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

R_Hatch ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 4:07 AM

Once you're reasonably satisfied with the GI lighting (do test renders with low settings to get an idea of where the light will bounce, etc), scale the entire scene up 10,000%, hit render, and then go do something else or use another computer :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 4:11 AM

Why scale the scene up 10,000%? :huh:

As far as I can tell, any combination of settings has problems with artifacts of one form or another.

My Freebies

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 4:49 AM

I saw your artifacts, pjz. They disappear once high settings are kicked in.

I am rendering V4 close up illuminated by nothing but two glowing boxes (no lights) and AO in nodes. Her hi-res skins.

Render settings low = artifacts.

Render settings cranked = gorgeous renders.

indirect light quality = 100%
bounces = 6
Irradiation cache = 50
Pixel Samples = 36
Min Shade Rate = .21

no tone map, i am not ready for the adventure of finding out what that is yet!

800x500 renders in 1/2 hour
Q6600 quad
8 gig RAM

I'll post a render or two later today.
I think the GI is great. No free lunch.

I read elsewhere that Stewar says no need for such 'high' I.Cache but I am working backwards: as I continue to get great renders I'll keep turning the settings down to get better timings.

I have not even begun to engage HDRI lighting, domes, etc.

::::: Opera :::::

P.S. I miss the OpenEXR format dammit. Looks like it will be 6-9 months until Pro is out and I get it back.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 4:55 AM

Quote - I saw your artifacts, pjz. They disappear once high settings are kicked in.get it back.

I rendered at the highest settings the app supports (and higher than that, via Python commands for GI bounces and # of stochastic samples), and I get artifacts.  Are you rendering a single naked figure, or what?

Here, try this scene file.
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Poser8%20samples/Test%20for%20Stewer.zip

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 4:56 AM

. poser 8 doesnt have openEXR? does this mean that we can not save the render as HDR? 

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:01 AM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:05 AM

Yes, just a single naked figure so far, but also with Poser strand hair.

I'll try that Stewar scene later.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:02 AM

Correct you cannot save a render to OpenEXR format in Poser8.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:07 AM

Quote - ...close up illuminated by nothing but two glowing boxes (no lights)...

Render settings low = artifacts.

Render settings cranked = gorgeous renders.

indirect light quality = 100%
bounces = 6
Irradiation cache = 50
Pixel Samples = 36
Min Shade Rate = .21

Could you please explain about the glowing boxes..?

What sort of dimensions... how do we make them... glow..?

Could you maybe show a pic of the setup you used prior to render..?

Many thanxz.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:07 AM

If you're at the stage of rendering a single naked figure, I wonder how you can conclude that artifacts never appear in any combination of scene or settings.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:10 AM

Quote - Could you please explain about the glowing boxes..?

The Ambient channel of a material now acts the way you'd expect to: it makes the material emit light of the supplied color value, and that light can illuminate other stuff.

My Freebies

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:16 AM

Quote - > Quote - Could you please explain about the glowing boxes..?

The Ambient channel of a material now acts the way you'd expect to: it makes the material emit light of the supplied color value, and that light can illuminate other stuff.

Thanks for that pjz99 :-)

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:20 AM

Worth noting that "Number of raytrace bounces" render setting also controls the number of GI bounces - it shouldn't imo, but that's what it seems to do.

My Freebies

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:31 AM

Never mind prz.  I am happy. You are not. I never meant to imply 'never.'  will be posting renders later.

Have a nice day.

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:57 AM

pjz really? the raytracing bounces is what control the lighting bounces? so if you have set it to 1 it will only have one bounce? 
so we can control it ? 

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:06 AM

Seems so.  On the other hand, this will include reflection depth, so imo it's not really an ideal way to do it, but I guess it's better than not having any control at all.

My Freebies

R_Hatch ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:11 AM

PJZ: the reason for scaling the scene 10,000% is that it significantly reduces the size of the artifacts, to the point where they virtually disappear with high render settings coupled with the scaling. A million tiny artifacts look much better than a few hundred large ones.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:31 AM

That's a good idea, I'll try that.  Although bump/displacement settings would need some attention, for each and every material, that's at least a surmountable problem.

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:56 AM

pjz did you solve the problem with those ugly black spots? 

R_Hatch ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:58 AM

Yep, and the dependent parameters editor should make those things easier to adjust based on scaling :)

R_Hatch ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:00 AM

ice-boy: no, but I did :) Read my first reply in this thread.

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:03 AM

you mean the one where it says 6 bounces?

6 bounces is not normal.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:07 AM

No, he's talking about scaling the scene up.  I have a render running right now testing that myself.  It appears that this forces the renderer to use many more rays, based on the number of red dots (which I presume to be ray hits, but I dunno) and based on the render time so far - which is MUCH longer, but if it renders cleanly that's not a big concern.

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:11 AM

but still. GI needs to work without scaling.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:14 AM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:16 AM

Occurs to me that scaling up the scene and lights will probably break light attenuation/falloff but I'm somewhat less concerned about that, one thing at a time.

Quote - but still. GI needs to work without scaling.

Yes, yes it does, but I'd at least like to have a workaround in the mean time until a patch is prepared and released.

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:16 AM

is anyone other then you getting those problems? 

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:21 AM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:21 AM

It may be that other users are just not composing scenes that will provoke it (e.g. a single naked character generally won't).  It shows up most obviously where there is a lot of corners and crevices where rays seem to be "dying early".

My Freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:53 AM

Hi
@ pzj99
Im curious IIRC Dont you have C4D with AR3??

My website

YouTube Channel

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 8:08 AM

Yes, but since I'm currently trying to market Poser content it rather behooves me to try to get the stuff to look good in Poser.  Eventually I'll give up on this and move on to character modeling and rigging in Cinema/MOCCA.

My Freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 8:42 AM

file_436104.jpg

Yes I understand fortunately my marketplace product is For animation and not dependent on ultra hi res single frames certainly NOT GI renders For me personally any new version of poser became MOOT after P6 and the advent of Interposer pro for C4D I can Imagine your pain in having to go from the Ease of AR3  to this "Young" GI engine for poser 8 but maybe it will get sorted with a few service pack releases.

Oh and as far getting Away from poser rigs altogether, its something I am consider as well for Character animation especially for the Hair and softbody dynamics.

Cheers.

My website

YouTube Channel

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 8:48 AM

Very perceptive, wolf. It is a "young" GI engine, and I expect it to get better very quickly as a wider audience puts it through its paces. Frankly, during the Beta, most of the testers never even turned it on, I think. Most of the tester's reports had to do with how the library behaved with runtimes running into the terabyte range. :-)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:18 AM

#1 tip for newcomers to indirect light: Turn on your shadows! We're trying to simulate reality here, so make sure the light you put in that scene is reasonably realistic too.

If you have shadows turned off, objects that should be in the shadow and dark will cast light on surrounding surfaces, making areas taht should be shadowed even brighter! Talk about glowing nostrils...

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:36 AM

i am getting a nerv-breakdown.

people using GI without shadows. i knew it would happen he he he he he

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:41 AM

Quote - i am getting a nerv-breakdown.

people using GI without shadows. i knew it would happen he he he he he

Well to be fair Many poser users have no experience with a  true GI  render engine so there will be a learning curve hopefully not too steep.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:45 AM

... to be even more fair many posers have no experience with shadows either...

My Freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 10:01 AM

Quote - ... to be even more fair many posers have no experience with shadows either...

Sad but very true

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 10:06 AM

I'm still waiting for the tips here folks. HSV has been mentioned elsewhere in conjunction with IL as has tone mapping but nobody's said where those features are located to be twiddled with that I've found. Also, for IL to work, does the ambiant object need an ambiance value of 1 or greater? I'm not having any luck with objects in the decimal ranges shedding any light.

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 10:08 AM

InTel Mac, only in P8 about 2 hours. If I use the light sets that came with P8 in the poser 8 lights folder I get artifacts in places in shadow areas like under V4's armpits and along dress shoulder strap areas against her body. Use some of my other light sets no artifacts. Same render settings. But need more time to examine those lights. Busy trying to get my scripts from PPro copied over and get all my runtimes connected.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 11:02 AM

when using the glowing posersurfaces, e.g. glowing boxes, try posersurfaces with higher polygon densities to decrease artifacts.  try increasing glowing box ambient above 1.0 for brighter illumination in a no-light scene.

JHoagland ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 2:10 PM

I second the request: can we see some screen shots of render settings? How many lights do you have in the scene? What are the light settings?
Obviously, these settings may not work for everyone, but it'll give a good starting point.

And most importantly, what are your system specs? Are you rendering a beautiful scene at 100% quality, but it takes 10 hours on a 64-bit, quad-processor system with 32G of RAM?

The reason I ask for some sample render settings is that last night I tried to render a scene using indirect lighting using one light, a V2 figure, the ground plane, and set to 750x750 pixels.
After 30 minutes, the entire Poser 8 screen was "white", which is the way Windows says "This program isn't responding to requests to redraw it".
By comparison, a global-illuminated scene in Lightwave, at Enhanced-Medium setting, and 1000x1000 pixels is almost finished in 20 minutes... and I can see the render progress as it happens.

Granted, I know this is the first version of Poser to attempt real GI lighting, so I wonder if my settings are too high... or if my computer is too old to handle all the calculations that Poser is doing.

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 2:14 PM

You have to look in other threads, too. There are about 12 Poser 8 threads running, one of which has been going for weeks with screenshots and renders and info. I suggest you subscribe to them all, and read everything. Sort your forum by last reply, and you'll see where the action is.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2778408&page=3

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:04 PM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:06 PM

@ bagginsbill

I understand that Poser 8 has to calculate... stuff... when using indirect lighting before the final rendering phase.

My question is... are all the little red dots meant to signify anything to the user... other than an indication that calculations are being made for the indirect lighting..?

I was thinking that if they don't actually mean anything, or aren't 'readable' would we not be better off without them. Wouldn't the calculation and render phase be much quicker if the program didn't have to plot all the dots in the preview window..?

In effect... its like doing 2 renders at twice the time of the actual render.

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:14 PM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:17 PM

Quote -

@ bagginsbill

I understand that Poser 8 has to calculate... stuff... when using indirect lighting before the final rendering phase.

My question is... are all the little red dots meant to signify anything to the user... other than an indication that calculations are being made for the indirect lighting..?

I was thinking that if they don't actually mean anything, or aren't 'readable' would we not be better off without them. Wouldn't the calculation and render phase be much quicker if the program didn't have to plot all the dots in the preview window..?

In effect... its like doing 2 renders at twice the time of the actual render.

LOL!!! ( the re-Education begins)

Hi that prepass ( red dot pattern) is as necessary to calculating light in a GI render as sanding is to is to finishing a peice of fine wood work.
In C4D AR3 we have to option to "hide" the prepass but it still Occurs
just hidden at the same speed

You want GI in poser you have to be patient.

Cheers

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:30 PM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:30 PM

The dots tell us how closely spaced the GI samples are. If we observe them too far apart in some area we think needs more detail, we raise the Indirect Light Quality. If we observe them too close together, and we think we don't need that kind of detail, we lower the Indirect Light Quality, to gain speed. It also shows us how much work is being performed and we may choose to do an area render, or recompose, in order to avoid difficult areas during a test render.

The time it takes to put the dots on the screen is zero.

I'm getting to know them now, and I can optimize my render just by watching it a little while.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:32 PM

@ wolf359 and bagginsbill

Thanks. I was about to say... 'ahhh, now I understand'... but in truth I don't.

At least I now know that the process is neccessary, and can at least understand that part.

I can use Poser and its lights, shaders, etc., but have little idea as to why what does what.

The clue is in the tiltle of this particular thread.    :blushing:

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:24 PM

If you put AO in nodes with Indirect, consider removing the AO from the eyelashes of human characters. Huge rendertime hit for AO on lashes with IL

I have reduced my bucket to 8 as an experiment. FF was leaving edges at bucket seams with it at 256 with IL on.

In all cases only lighting with primitive with ambient at 1.0

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:32 PM

Number of Bounces creates accumulating brightness. IL with glowing boxes at 1.0 ambient, no other difference except bounces of 1,3 and 6, the more bounces, the brighter.

As Miss Nancy said above, one can turn up the ambient beyond 1.0, and if this lets me "get away with" fewer bounces and thus quicker render time, that will be a good thing.

That is, if fewer bounces does not degrade the beauty of the final illusion significantly. I don't want to be "not using enough bounces just so I can say it is GI".

lkendall ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 8:17 PM

I thought the little red dots were Poser's version of a little hour glass.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:22 PM

Quote -
Thanks. I was about to say... 'ahhh, now I understand'... but in truth I don't.

It's simple, really. The red dots indicate the frequency and spacing of samples, as has been said. More samples, more accuracy with bounced light, but longer render times.
Have a look at this link:
www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide96/

It's for LightWave, but the idea is the same, and towards the bottom shows how the GI dots and guides help with determining accuracy vs. render time.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:31 PM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:32 PM

file_436153.jpg

click for full size/resolution.

V4 in Poser8 GI

Only illumination is from several glowing boxes, the one behind her having a gold procedural material.

Only shadows from AO in nodes.

Took over an hour to render, but I probably had some settings over cranked. No Postwork

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:32 PM

Nice effect operaguy, but yeah I'd say it's ovedone somewhat.
Looks cool though.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.