Tue, Oct 22, 11:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: Pose2Lux questions and answers...

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2011 at 11:03 PM

Robyn...that very well may be a question for Snarly...lol. I know absolutely nuttin about the code or code in general. I just know that Pose2Lux, like LuxPose, prefers that the material setups in Poser be as simple as possible because they'll be changed anyway in the exporter. All the exporter really needs is specular, diffuse, transparency and ambience (I think I got them all).

As for marbles and the like, they take a bit more coding because they'll require volumes - parameters I don't yet understand.  I'm sure there are Pose2Lux users who do understand them however, so if anyone wants to contribute any materials, please feel free. Ya can never have enough materials...lol.

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2011 at 11:10 PM

...or chocolate. Or shoes. Sheesh, you should see my Poser shoe collection! V4 has more than I do!

We'll just have to wait till Snarly gets back, then... didn't mean to bombard you with a bunch of weird questions, Laurie... 😄

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Indoda ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2011 at 1:34 PM

Hi all

I'm just getting started with both the plugin and the renderer.  My first render was taking a long time so I abandon it.  Is the Luxrender slower than the Poser Firefly renderer?

Image tried had just 1 posed Antonia

Used skin by ODF in Pose2Lux

Poser 7. Win 7 Pro 64 bit. i5 intel chip set. 4 Gigs RAM.  

Thank you

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2011 at 2:05 PM

Quote - I'm just getting started with both the plugin and the renderer.  My first render was taking a long time so I abandon it.  Is the Luxrender slower than the Poser Firefly renderer?

Much slower. The tradeoff is that a Luxrender render is much more realistic. Unbiased renderers are typically much slower but deliver much better results.

Quote - Image tried had just 1 posed Antonia

Depending on your lighting, some renders take longer than others. It also depends on your processor and ram. From what you posted, you should have plenty of both.

In Luxrender, outdoor images don't take nearly as long as images with lots of shadow.

Laurie

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 12:30 AM · edited Thu, 10 March 2011 at 12:43 AM

-edit- please ignore seems to be working now

So if I wanted to confuse my self more and try this out I would down load the luxrender and the script right? I get luxrender from  www.luxrender.net? If so, I can't seem to get to the site (maybe my ISP is blocking it for some reason). Is there any safe alternate download locations?

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 2:26 AM

This is what you've entered into your address bar?

http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index

Just checking...

Metaphor of Chooks

Kerya ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 2:38 AM

Luxrender.net seems to be down at the moment.

If you need Luxrender 0.8RC1:

http://preta3d.com/wp/category/products

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 2:52 AM · edited Thu, 10 March 2011 at 2:54 AM

Seems to be working for me out here in the wilds of Oz. No dramas t'all. 😄 Always good to have an alternative source, though.

Metaphor of Chooks

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 2:58 AM

Not the greatest theme or subject matter, but it's only my second go and I never claimed to be an artist, so:

2nd render

Metaphor of Chooks

Cariad ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 7:58 AM

Looking good Robyn, I won't make any comments on artistic merit, my first one is an almost naked Vickie after all. :p

I have been letting my first one go in bits and pieces (I love being able to stop and resume rendering as needed)  to see how long it takes for the grainy shadows to clear up at my usual final render dimensions that I haul off for post work.

28 hours in, still got some grainyness and red 'speckling' in the darkest parts of the shadows, though most of it has smoothed out, about 500 samples/pixel.  I am just guessing here, but at the rate it is clearing up, I would think I would need about twice that many for a final render.  Maybe I needs a better puter...  Yes.  Yes I think I do

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 10:39 AM · edited Thu, 10 March 2011 at 10:40 AM

Quote - 28 hours in, still got some grainyness and red 'speckling' in the darkest parts of the shadows, though most of it has smoothed out, about 500 samples/pixel.  I am just guessing here, but at the rate it is clearing up, I would think I would need about twice that many for a final render.

Most images don't look very good until the sample rate rises above 700 per pixel - some need even more, especially those with heavily shaded areas. Brightly lit images need a little less ;).

Laurie

bu_es ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 10:59 AM

First of all I apologize for my bad English. I have several questions but I think it could be summarized in one: I really do not understand the configuration of the materials.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 11:06 AM

Quote - First of all I apologize for my bad English. I have several questions but I think it could be summarized in one: I really do not understand the configuration of the materials.

In what way? The Luxrender parameters for materials or how to get .xml file materials into Pose2Lux? Or how to use the Luxrender materials in Pose2Lux?

Laurie

Indoda ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 11:10 AM

Quote - > Quote - I'm just getting started with both the plugin and the renderer.  My first render was taking a long time so I abandon it.  Is the Luxrender slower than the Poser Firefly renderer?

Much slower. The tradeoff is that a Luxrender render is much more realistic. Unbiased renderers are typically much slower but deliver much better results.

Depending on your lighting, some renders take longer than others. It also depends on your processor and ram. From what you posted, you should have plenty of both.

In Luxrender, outdoor images don't take nearly as long as images with lots of shadow.

Laurie

Thank you - I'll be more patient now I know - wasn't sure if the renderer was working correctly

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 11:12 AM · edited Thu, 10 March 2011 at 11:14 AM

Yeah, a Luxrender render can take many hours, depending on the lighting ;). Patience is a must...lol. If you have other computers in your home, you can use those to help with the render as Luxrender has network rendering ;). I use both my quad core and my dual core to get it done. Even with network rendering, it can still take quite awhile.

Laurie

bu_es ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 11:15 AM

Well first it was not XML. And if where this but what are the parameters are not.

Especially in the display paths.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2011 at 1:38 PM

Luxrender.net is having DNS issues.

please use Lux-Render.net until this is resolved.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

ErickL88 ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2011 at 7:08 AM · edited Sat, 12 March 2011 at 7:10 AM

Is there a way, to save the Light, after the setup, like we can do it with the Materials?

Once the setup for Sky, Sun, grouping etc .. is all done, it would be handy, to be able to save it for a later usage again.

Just like we can do it with the materials already. You set them up and save 'em. Once needed again, you just load them into the script again. That's a great feature.

Would that be possible with Lights, as well?

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2011 at 11:18 AM

Might have to wait a bit for an answer to that one...it's a Snarly questions and he's on vacation (the lucky dog...lol).

Laurie

Cariad ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2011 at 11:46 AM

Okay, question time.  Since, as usual, I have to try and jump in with both feet and hope for the best.

What parameters on a point light come over into Lux?  Namely I am trying to set up some victorian street lamps and need a clue as to the best way to handle them.  Would an emitter on the 'flame' work or would it be best to mount a point light in each and then just fiddle with them in Lux til I get them looking right? 

Using the Victorian street props from Stonemason over at Daz.  Dunno if it is at all relevant.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2011 at 11:52 AM

If it were me Rhionon, I would make each of the flames an emitter and do it that way. You can always play with the settings of those as well in Luxrender :).

I meant to try the Victoria Street myself since I think I have that one...hmmm...

*it's a shame when you have so much stuff you aren't even sure what you have and what you don't anymore...lol.

Laurie

Cariad ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2011 at 11:52 AM

Or I can actually drink coffee and look at the materials while awake!  Ignore my blonde question about the lamps in this case, they have proper bulbs I can make emitters, but know what parameters for point lights are useable would still be nice to know.

Thanks

Cariad ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2011 at 12:02 PM

Quote - If it were me Rhionon, I would make each of the flames an emitter and do it that way. You can always play with the settings of those as well in Luxrender :).

I meant to try the Victoria Street myself since I think I have that one...hmmm...

*it's a shame when you have so much stuff you aren't even sure what you have and what you don't anymore...lol.

Laurie

Hence my current dilemma of 'What do I do -first-?'  Too much stuff, too many ideas.  I actually want to slowly try converting some of my old scenes where I was never truly happy with the light etc for Lux and see if I can finally make them look the way they do in my head.

I would love to try this on the victorian street by LukeA here, but haven't had the extra cash to pick it up when the idea of using it is my head.  Hmmm, I think I have enough on a GC from my bday.  Street scene or making M4 less naked.  Oh the choices are hard!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2011 at 5:37 PM · edited Sat, 12 March 2011 at 5:38 PM

Quote - I meant to try the Victoria Street myself since I think I have that one...hmmm... *it's a shame when you have so much stuff you aren't even sure what you have and what you don't anymore...lol.

Laurie

Yep, so do I! I feel like a kid in a candy story... what to try, what to play with in Lux. And as far as buying anything: sheesh... the second bit certainly holds totally true for me. I mean, I have it all organised and everything, but still, a large part of these goodies lie unzipped on a storage drive ... not even installed! An embarrassment of riches, truly.

So, now the real questions become ones of workflow. We've been told that:

1. don't use complex shaders
  2. don't worry about displacement maps - just tick the box and you'll be right.

...and more. I think maybe reading that LuxPose thread might have confused more than helped. Oh, and yes, I did read your fine pdf, Laurie. Now, we need one for tinkerers. :biggrin:

I'm taking pictures of jewellery today to sell online, so I'll only have snatches of time to study, but I will study the info on those links you sent me on my nuisance thread.

And thank you, Laurie! 😄 r

Metaphor of Chooks

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 2:19 PM

Quote - Is there a way, to save the Light, after the setup, like we can do it with the Materials?

Once the setup for Sky, Sun, grouping etc .. is all done, it would be handy, to be able to save it for a later usage again.

Just like we can do it with the materials already. You set them up and save 'em. Once needed again, you just load them into the script again. That's a great feature.

Would that be possible with Lights, as well?

Greetings from the Dominican Republic :-)

I'm working on the next version of Pose2Lux which will include a 'Save All' function. This will save every parameter on all screens, including materials, light groups, advanced emitter parameters (also coming in next version) and ... well, everything.

You'll like this option, especially if I program a 'Load All' option to go with it :-)

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

Cariad ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 2:28 PM

Quote - Greetings from the Dominican Republic :-)

I'm working on the next version of Pose2Lux which will include a 'Save All' function. This will save every parameter on all screens, including materials, light groups, advanced emitter parameters (also coming in next version) and ... well, everything.

You'll like this option, especially if I program a 'Load All' option to go with it :-)

Hope the sun and sand is treating you well!

And Snarly, you just may have become  my hero. :D

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 2:36 PM

Quote - I guess the reason I'm asking is because of a sense for how the diffuse_color and specular_color channels actually have a hidden function where they do maths with the scene lights... I'd prefer to be plugging into Alt_Diffuse. But then, I guess you'd need a Diffuse() node, hey? Or is that only for Firefly?

Pose2Lux does everything it can to avoid using any data in Alt_Diffuse and Alt_Specular. Any analysis it does do (as a last resort) is minimal.

I don't believe it's possible to reverse engineer a shader tree plugged into those channels and produce anything meaningful to Luxrender. Besides, the main use of those channels is to overcome limitations in Firefly. As we're not using Firefly, there's nothing to overcome! I know Firefly does a lot of calculations on the values in Diffuse etc., but that needn't worry us because the values that get exported are those entered into PoserSurface, before Firefly gets its grubby hands on them :-)

Perhaps a future version of Pose2Lux will make more of an attempt to understand the Poser shader trees, but the prime direction of development will be to make it easier to assign Lux materials directly.

Glad to see yu're having fun with it though!

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 2:50 PM

Quote - > Quote - Well, Snarly assured me it would because your code is virtually unchanged from LuxPose and I remember it working then, but I'm not having any luck recently ;).

Writing out the subdivision options for Lux is not part of my code, though.

[techno]

The GeometryExporter constructor takes an optional argument "write_mesh_parameters", which is a function. That function is responsible for setting whatever special parameters the caller needs to set for the particular mesh. As far as I can see, I haven't written any code that defines that function, so that would have been done somewhere in LuxPose.

[/techno]

Pose2Lux does implement the 'write_mesh_parameters' functionality of the LuxPose project, albeit in a refectored way. I'll look into the subdivision issues when I get home in a few days. It's supposed to respect the additional parameters added via the Tools screen, but it's possible I've not done it right.

@ODF specifically: I wouldn't presume to think you'd want anything to do with the development of Pose2Lux, and I certainly wouldn't expect you to take any responsibility for the bastardised version of your code that's been grafted into Pose2Lux, but if you wanted access to the source code (even just out of interest) then just PM me and I'll get it to you. You just have to promise not to laugh :-)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 4:15 PM · edited Sun, 13 March 2011 at 4:16 PM

Quote - > Quote - Greetings from the Dominican Republic :-)

Hope the sun and sand is treating you well!

And Snarly, you just may have become  my hero. :D

I solidly second the motion on that! Enjoy the sun and people and soft, balmy evenings with those little umbrella-ed drinks in your hand, knowing that you have fans!

I have yet to understand or implement 80% of what this script does, and I'm already thoroughly impressed. Well, mostly because it is available to us, we can use it and things seem to be moving forward, which is always good.

Your point on how materials (shader nodes) are read into Pose2Lux (and from where and why) is well taken. I've been having a hard look and a harder edit (simplification) of shaders in order for Pose2Lux not to choke on them. Interestingly, plugging Blinn() or Anisotropic() does seem to be acknowledged and somehow translated... is that just my over-wrought imagination at work, or is something actually happening in that regard?

This question of Laurie - did I fail to read somewhere which material list loads by default and where that is stored? And is it edit-able?

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 4:50 PM · edited Sun, 13 March 2011 at 4:58 PM

Quote - ...This question of Laurie - did I fail to read somewhere which material list loads by default and where that is stored? And is it edit-able?

All .xml files are editable ;). You can change anything you want in them.

As for them loading on execution of the script, make a folder somewhere where you'll keep all your .xml material libraries. I made a folder in my root external runtimes folder just because it seemed like a logical place ;) (D:/External Runtimes/XML Material Libraries). You can put it anywhere you like though.

Place any .xml material library files you want to load with P2L in that folder and run the script. Click on the 'Paths' tab and enter the path of that folder to the first two fields on the paths tab. Then go to File/Save Settings and save your default settings (your export settings that you like by default, etc.) and save that with the name 'pose2lux.p2l' - without quotes of course - to the same folder that contains your Pose2Lux python script. The next time you open P2L, all your settings, as well as your .xml material files, will load with the script.

I hope that made sense ;).

There are certain files that are contained within the script itself that are not editable, such as the materials that Snarly's already included in the script like the Basics, Glasses, etc. However, you CAN see what the parameters of those materials are if you apply any of them to an object in a Luxrender scene and then look at the .lxs that results from the export. The parameters used for that material will all be in it. You just have to remember what object you applied them too ;). Using that though, you can make any material a base for an .xml file. Perhaps you really liked one of my gem mats. You can either: change my parameters in the .xml file that I supplied - or - copy and paste the parameters of one material as a new material in the list and change the colors, the specularity etc., naming it something new. Maybe you wanted a mat for a gem I didn't supply. You can make a new one that way :).

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 5:20 PM · edited Sun, 13 March 2011 at 5:21 PM

Yes, Laurie, that helped: enormously. Tidying up my material library... I noticed that having multiple "" statements in an .xml will generate as many libraries in P2L, so I'm trying to consolidate labraries, not just xmls.

Oh, I'm still doing something wrong with my network rendering setup... sorry about this huge msg dump, but it illustrates what LuxRender/LuxConsole (on the servers) is doing

[2011-03-13 17:17:30 Info: 0] GUI: Updating framebuffer...
[2011-03-13 17:17:38 Info: 0] Getting samples from: 192.168.0.5:18018
[2011-03-13 17:17:42 Info: 0] GUI: Updating framebuffer...
[2011-03-13 17:17:54 Info: 0] GUI: Updating framebuffer...
[2011-03-13 17:17:59 Error: 2] Error while communicating with server: 192.168.0.5:18018
[2011-03-13 17:17:59 Error: 2] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
[2011-03-13 17:17:59 Info: 0] Trying to reconnect server: 192.168.0.5:18018
[2011-03-13 17:17:59 Info: 0] Connecting server: 192.168.0.5:18018
[2011-03-13 17:18:07 Info: 0] GUI: Updating framebuffer...
[2011-03-13 17:18:19 Info: 0] GUI: Updating framebuffer...
[2011-03-13 17:18:20 Info: 0] Writing film status to file
[2011-03-13 17:18:20 Error: 2] Unable to connect server: 192.168.0.5:18018
[2011-03-13 17:18:21 Info: 0] All servers are aligned
[2011-03-13 17:18:39 Info: 0] Film transmission done (189141 Kbytes sent)
[2011-03-13 17:18:39 Info: 0] Film status written to 'C:/Users/Hahn/Documents/Poser Pro 2010/LuxRenderFiles/Explore04.flm'
[2011-03-13 17:18:40 Info: 0] Writing Tonemapped PNG image to file C:/Users/Hahn/Documents/Poser Pro 2010/LuxRenderFiles/Explore04.png
[2011-03-13 17:18:43 Info: 0] GUI: Updating framebuffer...
[2011-03-13 17:18:55 Info: 0] GUI: Updating framebuffer...

...over and over again. I have LuxConsole loading automatically when I bring up the 'server' (the PC not running LuxRender) like in a TaskManager thingie. I've checked, and it loads, and is waiting for Luxrender to come and play. I've also allowed port 18018 to be accessed by LuxConsole and LuxRender, both incoming and outgoing in the Securities/Firewall section for both client and server. And it seems that although my router seems to be a DHCP thingie, it is statically assigning IP addresses to my different systems, which is kind-of nice, really.

Any ideas?

Metaphor of Chooks

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 5:49 PM

ah

you need to start Luxconsole the right way.

Starting Luxconsole on Windows using the Command Prompt

If you prefer starting Luxconsole from a Windows command window, just browse to the folder in which Luxconsole is located and type “luxconsole.exe -s”.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 5:53 PM · edited Sun, 13 March 2011 at 5:57 PM

Yeah, you must open luxconsole with the shortcut that I had you make ;). The console window needs to be open and stay open. If your main machine is sending files, then you should be able to look at the screen of the other machine and see each of the textures loading in that console window :).

If you run the plain luxconsole.exe, a window opens and then disappears right away. That shortcut with the target -s on the end of it keeps the console open. Also, if the path I gave you C:/ is not where you have Luxrender installed on that machine, you'll have to replace it with the right drive letter and path ;). But that space and then -s must be on the end of the path in the shortcut properties Target. I'm not certain why the folks at Luxrender decided to have folks do it this way, but there you have it ;).

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:03 PM

Um, I was starting Luxconsole from Taskmanager as per recommendations, Magnus, and yes, with the -s switch. Which, as it turns out, was a bad suggestion. Now that I have followed your suggestion, I get the following error:

The program can't start because OpenCL.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

This laptop has a graphics card that does support CUDA (says so right on the little sticker - it's an NVidia GeForce GT 230M display adaptor) so I guess I need to find that OpenCL.dll file and put it where? In the Windowssystem folder?

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:06 PM

Install the non-cl version of Luxrender on the helper machine. Just make sure it's the same version. Unless you're using the GPU rendering in Luxrender on your main machine (and it's buggy still, not the script, but Luxrender itself) you don't need the OpenCL.

Laurie

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:25 PM

Quote - Um, I was starting Luxconsole from Taskmanager as per recommendations, Magnus, and yes, with the -s switch. Which, as it turns out, was a bad suggestion. Now that I have followed your suggestion, I get the following error:

The program can't start because OpenCL.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

This laptop has a graphics card that does support CUDA (says so right on the little sticker - it's an NVidia GeForce GT 230M display adaptor) so I guess I need to find that OpenCL.dll file and put it where? In the Windowssystem folder?

the error your getting is nothing to do with the switch I said.. your now getting a different error.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:26 PM · edited Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:31 PM

Okay, I followed your instuctions to the letter, got:

[Lux 2011-Mar-14 10:14:46 INFO : 0] Lux version 0.8(dev) of Feb 12 2011 at 13;51:25
[Lux 2011-Mar-14 10:14:46 INFO : 0 Threads: 8
[Lux 2011-Mar-14 10:14:46 INFO : 0 Launching server [8 threads] mode on port '18018'.

So, it's flying. And I can ping this machine from the other. And I still get the identical error in the log.

Oh, and both machines are running the same version of LuxRender: .8RC1. Except one is running LuxConsole.

Metaphor of Chooks

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:28 PM

hold on.

"This laptop has a graphics card that does support CUDA (says so right on the little sticker - it's an NVidia GeForce GT 230M display adaptor)"

you have got the Cuda drivers installed? (with a laptop it would not surprise me if they were not installed)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:39 PM · edited Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:40 PM

They apparently are not installed, since the message wouldn't come up, I wouldn't think. Would it?

So, now I have the non-Cl version of LuxRender installed. And I don't get the DOS (cmd) error - Luxconsole starts happily. And I get the reassurance it is up and running. And the client can see this machine (ping). And the ports (18018) are open everywhere. But the log still spits out the same errors.

Metaphor of Chooks

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 10:29 AM

Attached Link: Pose2Lux 0.8.9

> Quote - Okay, a bit of a question: not sure what I'm doing wrong. I apologise if this was covered in the main Pose2Lux thread or somewhere before that. I'm using Daz's Conservatory as a building prop thingie, and the structure is coming out all distorted: > > [![onservatory tweaks](http://www.tightbytes.com/Poser/Rendo/Conservatory02-a.jpg)](http://www.tightbytes.com/Poser/Rendo/Conservatory02-a.jpg) > > So, I've gone into each and every part of the structure and set Smooth Polygons off (unticked). Is there something else I should have done? Crease angle is set to 80. Displacement bounds: 0. Shading rate: 0.20. Oh, and I unticked Bend (the tickbox under 'Visible'). > > Any ideas?

There are two issues here. One is a problem with Pose2Lux - whenever a displacement map is identified Pose2Lux uses the 'Displacement Subdivision' parameter on the Geometry screen to determine the desired levels of subdivision. This setting overrides any other displacement settings for objects with a displacement map. Unfortunately the range is from 1 to 5, with 1 being the default, so you can't choose to NOT have subdivision on an object which has a displacement map applied!

I've fixed this in v0.8.9 - the range now goes from 0-5, with 0 the new default. You can now leave displacement 'switched on' and not worry about the effects of subdivision unless you choose to move it from the default of 0.

The other issue is with the scene set up. There is a subtract node between the displacement map and the PoserSurface. For use in Pose2Lux, the displacement map should be plugged straight into the PoserSurface node. Obviously the displacement value will need to adjusted accordingly. If you need to subtract a value from the displacement to change the range represented by the map to something other than the default 0-1, you do this by using the Tools screen to add extra parameters to the affected actors in the scene. One of these is 'Displacement Base', which effectively acts as the subtract value.

The link to version 0.8.9 is provided here.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 6:30 PM

YAY! a new version! I'm so impressed with this, and with your answers, Snarly. Yes, the displacement Imagemap was plugged into a Subtract node - no clue what that was meant to be doing - but I had removed it and did the maths and inserted that as the new value in the channel. Which was probably wrong, but oh well.

Thanks for this fix! Can't wait to try it out. Pose2Lux is all I do in Poser these days, actually. And Luxrender, or course.

Working on creating a variant for the leather shader (softer, smoother, blacker)... thinking it might be worthwhile to actually trial it in Blender, since the materials seem to come from there.

Metaphor of Chooks

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 6:38 PM

"Yes, the displacement Imagemap was plugged into a Subtract node - no clue what that was meant to be doing"

was to help Poser. Poser has a very simple way of handling displacement. as in black = zero, white = full. the math node moves the zero point to allow for a greater range of displacement ranges.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 6:51 PM

Thanks for that, Magnus. Oh, so this was that "grey is 0, black is -.5, white is .5 thing"... yeah, I remember that now. Geez, I'm thick sometimes. Old age.

Metaphor of Chooks

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2011 at 12:33 PM

Attached Link: Pose2Luv v1.0 Final

I'm going to make a few posts to bring everyone up to date with what's happening with Pose2Lux. I'll do it over a few posts so that it's easier to follow.

First of all here's the final release of Pose2Lux verion 1

It contains a couple of minor updates: a new parameter for the XML libraries and some support for Lux 0.7 users

This version will not have any new features added to it, but will be maintained. I'll fix any bugs that come to light, and there may be updates to the manual. I also hope to improve Mac compatibility with a few small updates, when time permits.

Mostly, though, this is as far as this version goes.

You may not want to download this version, because work has already started on a new version which will be made available in one of the following posts. The new version will be called Pose2Lux Pro, a conceit I hope you'll forgive - it'll make it easier to distinguish between the versions.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2011 at 12:41 PM

Pose2Lux website

Soon there will be one! Especial thanks go to RobynsVeil who has volunteered to create it and manage it for us.

Until I see what Robyn has in mind I'm not exactly sure how it will be used. Certainly, it will become the prime repository for download of all Pose2Lux related materials. It may also be the home of tutorials, gallery pics and so on. We'll see.

Regardless, rest assured that these Renderosity threads will remain an important source of interaction between those involved in the development of Pose2Lux and its users. I'll continue to monitor them and provide feedback and advice as needed.

Details about the new website will also be posted here when they are available.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2011 at 12:47 PM

Pose2Lux Pro roadmap

Here is the rough plan for what's coming in the next version of Pose2Lux. The version numbers relate to Pose2Lux Pro, so have started again from 0.

v0.0    This is functionally equivalent to the final Pose2Lux v1 release
v0.1    Microdisplacement support for objects with displacement maps
v0.2    Advanced emitter controls, including settings for Watts, Gain, Efficacy as well as IES support and texture mapping of emitters
v0.3    Save All / Load All facility, enabling all data on all screens to be saved to a single file.
v0.4    Advanced support for Poser's Skin and Velvet nodes
v0.5    Basic material editing facilities
v0.6    Better support for import of XML files (e.g. merging with and/or overwriting existing (built in) libraries.
v0.7    Embedded preview mode for editing of materials
v0.8    Facility to save material library to XML file
v0.9    Advanced material editing facilities
v1.0    Alpha release

This roadmap will remain flexible. New features may be added to it, and it may prove easier to do things in a different order, but it gives you an idea of what's in store.

Pose2Lux Pro will continue to be distributed under the MIT licence, i.e. it remains completely free. It will continue to support all Poser versions from v6 to Poser Pro 2010. Unlike Pose2Lux v1 it will also support any new releases of Poser or Luxrender which occur during its development lifecycle.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2011 at 12:59 PM

Attached Link: Pose2Lux Pro 0.2.1

Here's the first official release of Pose2Lux Pro.

It is version 0.2.1 and is, of course, a 'work in progress' so please play gently with it :-)

As per the roadmap above, it contains support for Luxrender 0.8's microdisplacement feature and enhanced control over emitters.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2011 at 1:05 PM

Pose2Lux XML library tutorial

I'm thinking of doing an in-depth tutorial on how to build XML material libary files for use in Pose2Lux.

This will take a fair bit of time, time which could be spent on Pose2Lux's development, so I need to be sure there's sufficient interest before I decide to go ahead with it. Let me know if you think it's a worthwhile endeavour?

The idea would be to cover two things:

1. The actual syntax you need to know to build the material libaries

2. An introduction to the various Lux material types and their parameters.

Many of you will probably understand more about (2) than I do, so we could make it a bit of a communal learning exercise so that I learn something too!

Cariad ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2011 at 2:21 PM

Oh, 2 versions to play with now! 

Thanks muchly Snarly.  I am sure others will want to say their piece, but I think this might be my favourite add on for Poser period.

(Too bad I have to go out til later this evening so no play time today for me)

Is there any separate requirements for Pose2Lux Pro we should know about? 

Like will it work with both the OpenCL and not versions?

If not I am thinking I need to replace my video card right quick.  LOL.  For some reason, despite the fact my card is supposed to support OpenCL that version of Lux has never run on my machine properly.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.  There are more than a few of us who greatly appreciate the effort all the way around. :)

A tutorial on the material types and the syntax would be mighty useful, I am slowly trying to wade my way through all the info on them, but it is slow going since me an techno-ese are not known to be on speaking terms.

Tutorials for those of us who are visual learners are always a serious plus.  If anything, they might help to expand interest in Pose2Lux further. :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2011 at 2:56 PM

Quote - The idea would be to cover two things: 1) The actual syntax you need to know to build the material libaries

1. An introduction to the various Lux material types and their parameters.

Many of you will probably understand more about (2) than I do, so we could make it a bit of a communal learning exercise so that I learn something too!

Tutorials good :D said in her best caveman imitation

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.