Wed, Sep 18, 5:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 3:46 pm)

Subject: We all need to just RELAX

kawecki ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 8:50 PM · edited Fri, 30 December 2011 at 8:51 PM

Quote - We still aren't certain if it was the water that killed it or the lovely plastic and glass hitting that nice, hard porcelain ;).

Water doesn't cause harm to cell phones or electronic devices. The problem is to dry it out. As the devices are so small with very small distances between components and conductive trails any small drop of water or moisture will make the device mot work until all the water has evaporated.

Stupidity also evolves!

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:15 PM · edited Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:16 PM

Quote - "And too much spice spoils the soup"

The great Swedish 19th century composer Hugo Alfvén learned orchestration this way, or rather he learned his renowned advanced orchestration technique in this way: By inviting his fellow orchestra members to lunch and getting them to talk and argue why just their instrument was superior. While Alfvén was taking notes. Of course some musicians became enemies for life after that but Alfvén had the information. 

Don't worry...everyone got their points across to Daz. And then some. You can only spew the same nastiness for so long before no one's listening anymore and no longer cares why you wanted it in the first place.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:16 PM

Quote - > Quote - We still aren't certain if it was the water that killed it or the lovely plastic and glass hitting that nice, hard porcelain ;).

Water doesn't cause harm to cell phones or electronic devices. The problem is to dry it out. As the devices are so small with very small distances between components and conductive trails any small drop of water or moisture will make the device mot work until all the water has evaporated.

Well, they let it sit for a week. Still didn't work.

Laurie

kawecki ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:28 PM · edited Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:33 PM

Quote - Well, they let it sit for a week. Still didn't work.

You have to open it, if not moisture can survive years. It's like a keyboard with Coca Cola, coffee or a damned cat. Probably you don't have the tools for the screws or you damage the device trying to open it. So, total loss, buy a new one with the newest features and able to calculate elliptic integrals of the third kind  (For what do you need this ?)

Oh the screws!, every day they invent a new one that you have not the tool for it and don't know where to find one.

Stupidity also evolves!

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:33 PM · edited Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:34 PM

Yanno what? Not my phone. I don't care. I was answering someone elses post. I'm done now.

Continue.

Laurie

*to RO staff: I will PAY for an ignore button.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 10:20 PM

Tongue in cheek (Humor intended) response

Deleted ALL Daz? Is that not illegal and a violation of UN rules? You are braver than I- I'm afraid I'm not STRONG enough to dump Miss Vicky-she and her ancestors have been in my life since 2000-besides, I've already created my own head morphs for her.

Quote - Well, I am gratefull these discussions existed, and ended.
I have a very-very -very clean PC now. :-)

WARNING:Personal opinion follows below.
I deleted everything from Daz from my runtimes.
Sorry, but such company mentality does not fit my personal values.
Period.

And - - -  i' m still alive :-) :-) :-) and singing :-)
And ready for 2012/ Ho-Ho-Ho-

Oh, BTW my digital is from SONY. :-), but sometimes I derail, and buy a Panasonic.... :-)

Car is HONDA, grassmower is from HONDA, bike is a Pan European ST1300A from HONDA.

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 10:58 PM

Best cell phone story I know of happened to a friend of mine while flying on vacation with his wife. During the flight he got up to use the bathroom, and came back to his seat minus his cell phone after pleading with the flight crew to try to retrive it.

His wife told anybody and everybody where his cell phone went when they got back home!

70 or 80 days later for his birthday he got no less then 5 or 6 cell phones from various freinds, all sealed inside bags of blue ice you can buy at the grocery store! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 4:26 AM
Online Now!

Quote "Calibre works on Windows too. "

Quote "They're a lifesaver while waiting in the doctor's office ;)."

I have been using Calibre on Windows for most of this year and it does work well.  I even converted the PDF manuals for Poser, you have to play with the format on the Kindle to get them in a readable fashion though.

My Kindle goes with me everywhere and, as I work part time, I often have the chance to read it in my favorite coffee shop before going to work.  Great when in the doctor's waiting room as stated however, go carefull, I was reading something very gripping before being called and the doctor was concerned that my blood pressure was slightly too high (must remember to read something more relaxing next time).  What I like so much about the Kindle (or any similar device) is that I can read someting to suit my mood at whichever point I have to kill time, a real bonus for me as I do not cope with boredom easily.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 4:49 AM · edited Sat, 31 December 2011 at 4:49 AM

I'd be concerned if just reading a book rose your blood pressure too! Yoikes!

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 5:12 AM
Online Now!

Yea your right it was not just the book, I was at the doctor's because I was ill (smile) and I hate going to the doctor's, a fear I inherited from my father.  My blood pressure had dropped a little by the time I left, maybe because I had forgotten the story or maybe because I was very pleased to be leaving.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 9:18 AM

Quote -
such as the Dune series By Frank & Brian Herbert as well as the Isaac Asimov "Foundation" series.

I spent a good chunk of time in 2010 doing that... though instead of Dune, I read Foundation, and then everything I could lay hands on written by Robert Heinlein and Philip K. Dick.  Personally, there are times when I think scifi books are they only genre worth having, but then I come across the occasional fantasy book; I still keep room for things like the classic Thomas The Unbeliever series.

(Never read the Dune series for some odd reason... though I did read the first one). 

==

@Arcadia;

You showed up after Rendo did a their disneyfication of the place, and after they ditched the Tavern. 

@vilters;

Balkanization is bad. Tends to lead to intellectual inbreeding, a sense of us vs. them, and even more intolerance. Better to have healthy(!) debates, and better to have the hypersensitive grudge-bearers and trouble-stirrers (not meaning Arcadia in this term, but rather certain other folks that know who they are) gagged, so the others can talk. This puts forth ideas that both companies can incorporate, and keeps them both on their toes. 

By the way, that is a nice rig. I abandoned the concept of a workstation a year ago, and tend to do everything on a laptop nowadays. My fire-breathing desktop had become a quiet little Linux home server, and occasionally gets pressed into service as a LuxRender node. 

Lzy724 ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 9:36 AM

Oh, theres a fight going on? I always miss all the good stuff, dang it.

Honestly, who cares.  I didnt read the whole thread, but its really enough already.  I like pizza and you dont, please dont kill me. LOL

hands Lau some Doritos Let share the love!! 

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 9:39 AM

Ranch? :P

Laurie

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 9:41 AM

"I spent a good chunk of time in 2010 doing that... though instead of Dune, I read Foundation,"

yep they are all in My que: Prelude to Foundation ,Foundation, Second Foundation,
Foundation and Empire ,Foundations edge,
and Foundation and Earth.

"(Never read the Dune series for some odd reason... though I did read the first one)."

I am Fascinated by the Dune universe!!
I completed House Harkonnen and House Corrino
in DEC  and I am about halfway through
the "Butlerian Jihaad" that tells the back story  10,000 years before the birth of "MuauDib"
when humanity overthrew the tyranny of the thinking machines.
and established the three major Disciplines
of the Bene Jeserets, the Mentats and the powerful Spacing Guild.

anyway  back to my reading

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Lzy724 ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 9:41 AM

Quote - Ranch? :P

Laurie

God you are such High Maintenance. LOL. Of course, anything for you.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 10:22 AM

Quote - > Quote - Ranch? :P

Laurie

But you luvs me anyway....LOL

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 5:43 PM

Quote - "I spent a good chunk of time in 2010 doing that... though instead of Dune, I read Foundation,"

yep they are all in My que: Prelude to Foundation ,Foundation, Second Foundation,
Foundation and Empire ,Foundations edge,
and Foundation and Earth.

"(Never read the Dune series for some odd reason... though I did read the first one)."

I am Fascinated by the Dune universe!!
I completed House Harkonnen and House Corrino
in DEC  and I am about halfway through
the "Butlerian Jihaad" that tells the back story  10,000 years before the birth of "MuauDib"
when humanity overthrew the tyranny of the thinking machines.
and established the three major Disciplines
of the Bene Jeserets, the Mentats and the powerful Spacing Guild.

anyway  back to my reading

Cheers

Dune's my all time favourite SF series. I'm working through Foundation (again) at the moment. I inherited all my Dad's books and that's one of the sets he had. I enjoyed all the Dune books except Butlerian Jihad. The "House" trio were top notch but Butlerian Jihad seemed rushed and badly thought out. That said, I really hope they pick up where Chapter House Dune left off.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 6:34 PM

"I enjoyed all the Dune books except Butlerian Jihad. The "House" trio were top notch but Butlerian Jihad seemed rushed and badly thought out."

I am reading it to get the back story
and it is interesting to try to guess which characters are the actual pre cursers
for main schools of major influence.
Being Muslim it is interesting to see how
much of the themes from "Dune" are so blatantly borrowed from Islamic practice with only minor name changes.
I think I will read "Dune" itself next but with a much better perspective on the Corrino's and Harkonnens.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Lzy724 ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 6:54 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Ranch? :P

Laurie

But you luvs me anyway....LOL

Yes, I doez!!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 7:07 PM

Quote - "I enjoyed all the Dune books except Butlerian Jihad. The "House" trio were top notch but Butlerian Jihad seemed rushed and badly thought out."

I am reading it to get the back story
and it is interesting to try to guess which characters are the actual pre cursers
for main schools of major influence.
Being Muslim it is interesting to see how
much of the themes from "Dune" are so blatantly borrowed from Islamic practice with only minor name changes.
I think I will read "Dune" itself next but with a much better perspective on the Corrino's and Harkonnens.

Cheers

Yup, the Fremen are taken wholesale, IIRC.  And a fine, honorable people they are, too.  It was Dune that opened my eyes to different cultures around the world.

Like you, I'm going to re-read them but I'll start with the House series first. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

scanmead ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 9:49 PM

file_476895.jpg

While Scottsdale isn't noted for being on the cutting edge of trends, Something like this appeared a few days ago. Can't tell if just stupid, or if comment on audio quality.

While the hurry-up-and-wait can be a tribulation, I've always practiced the lost art of observation. You know, people-watching, introspection, connecting with the environment. I really think all the toys, including the video babysitters in cars actually deprive kids today. The hours spent looking out the windows during road trips (and you'd better be quiet) forced you to absorb the landscape. Plus, you stood a better chance of finding your way back if you pushed parental units to the breaking point. LOL

I challenge everyone to put down the toys, turn off the boxes, and look out the windows past the point of boredom. You know, become one with the universe stuff. (Or disconnect from the Matrix.)

Dale B ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 8:25 AM

Disconnect, hell! Make it a practice to get up, get out, and get some adrenaline going. My favorite overload cure is a day long drive in the mountains. Either the parkway, which is not too bad, or the Dragon, which is......challenging. But if you two wheel and are considering running the Dragon, just keep in mind that it is the equivalent of your doctorial thesis; if you aren't ready, don't try it. Dragons eat meat and are very messy about it......and riding in a car isn't any safer if you aren't skilled.

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 1:18 PM

sigh I'd love to just go sit in the desert for a whole day. I've got 3 weeks vacation I have to use by April 1st, and darned if I can get one day off. I think it's getting to me: I took a header over a big rock in my yard after work today and skinned my entire shin. I think I was subconciously trying to break my leg just to get time off. ;)

The good news is, I made it to work at 1am without being killed by an inebriated motorist!

Happy New Year, Poserites!

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 2:12 PM

Quote - The good news is, I made it to work at 1am without being killed by an inebriated motorist!

Always a plus...lol. Happy New Year to you ;)

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 2:37 PM

um, BR is a CHICKEN with a GUN. Unless most of this forum users are chickens with guns he is NOT like us.No offense BR. 

Let sleeping Chickens lay is my motto.  well one of them, Scream and Run is the other.  

Have a cookie ! (are snickerdoodles meant to be rock hard ?)

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 4:06 PM

"Something like this appeared a few days ago. Can't tell if just stupid, or if comment on audio quality."

Thinkgeek have been selling them for sometime.. they do a Bluetooth version (I want!)...

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 4:26 PM

Quote - "Something like this appeared a few days ago. Can't tell if just stupid, or if comment on audio quality."

Thinkgeek have been selling them for sometime.. they do a Bluetooth version (I want!)...

Does no one remember the neck aches these things gave you? And when little sis picked up the call, she always left drooly, sticky stuff all over it. Bluetooth version: image of large handset hanging off ear... At least it would be easier to identify someone using a phone vs. the odd rambling crazy person.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 4:30 PM · edited Sun, 01 January 2012 at 4:33 PM

....you hold it. in your hand.

why would you want that hanging off your ear....? you hold it.. and you talk of neck aches. ever tried to navigate a phone system when the keypad is by your ear? and they have not setup enough time to in the system to allow you to keep moving the phone from your ear, press button, move phone back to your ear...

vintorix ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 5:04 PM

I read the 'Poser 2008 or Genesis' thread and it was a thousand times more interesting than this thread. And for Poser or Daz there is really only one possible answer, both. It would be madness to give up your skill set in Poser especially when it is still a lot of things one only can do or do better in Poser but on the other hand missing the more beautiful and realistic Genesis figures would be missing a whole train of new technology. It is unfortunate that you have to learn two program but such is life.

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 6:20 PM

Well, it's the holidays. Time to kick back and not talk about techincal stuff.

Khai-J-Bach, I figured you probably held it, but the image of it being an oversized earpiece was just to good to pass up. ;)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 6:42 PM

There are definitely times when I've felt like there was a phone growing out of my ear. Right about the time my sister calls and talks for hours....

Laurie

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 7:12 PM

Ha-ha-ha-

I have a mobile.
Spend most of my time looking for it, so I gave up.
From time to time I bump into it.
Recharge it, and put it in a very visible place.
To bump into it agian, a week or 2 later. ha-ha-ha-
Way past recharge time again, pffft.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

kyoto_kid ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 8:01 PM

...since I started in 3D CG I have been pretty much a Daz Studio user.  Heck, were it not for their "free" Studio application and introductory content bundle, I never would have looked into 3D CG as I couldn't see dropping hard earend money (especially on my income) on something I wasn't sure I'd like.

However, these days I'm finding myself stepping into the Poser end of the pool.

It basically comes down to what works the best on my system and what doesn't.

Last year (I can say that now) I received Poser 8, as part of a prize package and  began working with it.  A few months later SM had a special upgrade offer for Pro2010 which for the price was too hard to pass up.  One thing I noticed was that unlike with the "new" Daz Studio4, my old 32 bit system would support Pro 2010. So I purchased the upgrade and installed it.

Not been disappointed since. Granted it doesn't have weight mapping, but what I do like is it is a lot more stable and works with my current content library.  Rendering is faster and, with the ability to render in background, does not crash as it often does in S3A, even when using highly detailed sets and advanced lighting effects.

For me that is a huge plus as the frustration level of spending hours to days on a scene only to have it crash in the render process was getting old.

I still have S3A and still use it.  However I also see that it is time to move on to what works better for me and allows me to begin growing again.

What I have seen was that Daz Studio 3A didn't get any worse (though it may have benefited from having the last few bugs fixed). I simply "outgrew" it (at least the 32 bit version) as my scenes became much more detailed and involved.

This is a hobby, it is supposed to be fun and for me, a means of relaxation.  I'd like it to continue so.

...forsaken daughter is watching you.

[Intel Xeon 5660 Hyperthreading 6 core CPU, 24GB GSkill Ripjaws 1333 DDR3 Tri Channel RAM, Nvidia Titan-X GPU with 12GB GDDR5 & 3072 cores, 1 x AData 240 GB SSD (boot) + 1 x 2TB HDD, EGVA 850 G5 PSU Antec P-193 with more fans than Justin Bieber.]

brynna ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 8:04 PM

Quote - There are definitely times when I've felt like there was a phone growing out of my ear. Right about the time my sister calls and talks for hours....

With me it's a shy cousin. She calls and wants ME to talk to her nonstop for hours. She says I cheer her up. :blink:

Brynna

"Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is almost always that somebody screwed up." - House

Dell Desktop XPS 8940 i9,  two 14 tb External drives, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia RTX 3060 12 GB DDR5.

Monitor - My 50 inch Hitachi TV. Works great!

Daz Studio - whatever the latest version is. Haven't decided if I'm upgrading to Poser 13 or not.

Photoshop.

I'm creating a Steampunk Tarot Deck. There's an older version in my Gallery, then a newer version.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 8:10 PM

Quote - > Quote - There are definitely times when I've felt like there was a phone growing out of my ear. Right about the time my sister calls and talks for hours....

With me it's a shy cousin. She calls and wants ME to talk to her nonstop for hours. She says I cheer her up. :blink:

Well, my sister does all the talking. I just say "Yeah" and "Uh huh" every now and then so she knows I haven't fallen asleep or wandered off...lol.

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.