Sun, Sep 22, 4:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: DAZ to make a "game-changing" announcement

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:45 PM

And they've made an announcement in the DAZ forums:

FREE 3D Software Suite

DAZ is announcing the immediate limited-time availability of a FREE 3D Software Suite
including the full retail versions of DAZ Studio 4 Pro, Bryce 7 Pro and Hexagon 2.5

The availability of these extremely popular tools for free will allow an even larger number of customers to enjoy the benefits of creating their own 3D art and animations without a significant financial investment. Current customers can feel confident in sharing this opportunity with family and friends.

DAZ 3D is offering the following 3D products for free:

DAZ Studio 4 Pro (Including Genesis, winner of 3D World’s 2011 Software Innovation of the Year Award) : Retail $429.95

Bryce 7 Pro 3D Landscape and Animation Software: Retail $249.95

Hexagon 2.5 3D Modeling Software: Retail $149.95

3D Photoshop Bridge: Retail $199.00 (Included with DAZ Studio 4 Pro)

"We're excited to make this offer early in the year.” said James Thornton, CEO for DAZ 3D. “We wanted to give 3D digital artists an opportunity to experience this entire 3D Software Suite for free for the first time including the 3D Photoshop Bridge. A full suite of 3D models and 3D animation software products are available on DAZ3D.com,"
"This is a limited time offer because the 3D software is valued at over $800," Thornton continued. “DAZ Studio is the most popular 3D software on Download.com .

DAZ Studio 4 Pro, Bryce 7 Pro and Hexagon 2.5 are available via download only on DAZ3D.com between now and February 29, 2012 for free.

The download is eligible for upgrade pricing on current and future versions of each respective product, a potential savings of hundreds of dollars.

The Standard DAZ 30-Day refund policy will be honored. If you have purchased any of the products named above or any of the "stand-alone" plugins included in DAZ Studio 4 Pro in the last 30 days, you may contact DAZ Sales Support and request a refund.

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:49 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:50 PM

Gee, this is more of a game changer then that (and it is rumored to be the Millennium Falcon)

A group of treasure hunters based in Stockholm, using sonar, has found a strange disc-shaped object on the floor of the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Finland. From above, it looks a bit like the Millennium Falcon of "Star Wars" fame. It's large -- 197 feet in diameter -- and it's in about 275 feet of water. Leading to (or from) it is a churned-up track on the sea floor of about 1,600 feet.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/shipwreck-baltic-sea-ufo-millennium-falcon-disc-shaped/story?id=15471558#.Tyf-iCOkl4s

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:50 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:56 PM

Well, it doesn't seem like the biggest 3D news in years, or earth-shaking, or game-changing. But I can see how Daz management would call it that. I do feel bad for those who paid for this stuff more than 30 days ago, they will be outraged. How would we feel if SM suddenly started giving away copies of Poser Pro 2012 like they were keychains?

I did buy Hexagon at one point, but I stopped using it long ago, so I don't feel resentful about that. Other than maybe Hex wasn't good enough to charge money for in the first place.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:17 PM

Yawn........

lkendall ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:17 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:21 PM

No actual Genesis content for free.

If it matters to anyone, the Content Creator Toolkit is also available for free.

I already bought Hexigon 2.X on a Platinum Club sale for a dollar or two. Could people use Hexigon to follow the DarkEdge modeling tutorials at  PoserPlace (3D Max)? If not that, then maybe Blender?

The base figures of M4 and V4 are also still free, which might interest people who would like to have V4~WM. Maybe some folks who don't have M4 would like to take a hand at converting the figure for weight-maps?

I will download the free stuff. DVDs are cheap to put these away for a rainy day.

...I wonder if S/M will respond?

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

toastie ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hmmm.... so the plan to stop giving away Daz Studio for free didn't last too long then? Maybe sales of the Genesis stuff have been a bit disappointing?

I've got Hex, don't want D|S and might download Bryce for old times sake.... used to do a lot with Bryce a few years back before I moved on to Vue.

Feel sorry for the people who shelled out a lot of dosh for D|S though. Ouch :(

DCArt ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:25 PM

Quote - I do feel bad for those who paid for this stuff more than 30 days ago, they will be outraged.

Kinda bummed, to be sure.

Angelus_Prime ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:34 PM

That was... extremely game changing. :-/

Though I will get Hex. 

moogal ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:39 PM

OK, so how useful is Bryce for the Poser crowd?  Can it host Poser scenes like Vue and other programs do?

(Yes I have google, and I'm off to check on it now...)

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:45 PM

Clearly an effort to increase their presence in the market. I was just commenting yesterday that Genesis is a big deal at the Daz store because it's THEIR store, but not much interest so far by vendors or buyers at other 3D stores. This could be an attempt to change that.

Or simply to expand the base of Genesis users so they'll come to the Daz store to buy Genesis stuff, to heck with outher stores.

Maybe the free Daz Studio Standard wasn't enough of an inducement because you had to buy a bunch of add-ons, or pay for an upgrade, to get very far with it. Now they're bypassing all that.

Personally, I have mild interest in the free Bryce but I'm afraid I'll get sucked into buying a lot of after-market stuff for it. Still don't need DS Pro, even free. I've already talked myself out of the "ooh shiny" thing with Genesis. There's plenty of "ooh shiny" right here that I haven't had time to get deep into yet, like V4-WM, Anastasia and Antonia!

ksanderson ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:02 PM

Quote - Clearly an effort to increase their presence in the market. I was just commenting yesterday that Genesis is a big deal at the Daz store because it's THEIR store, but not much interest so far by vendors or buyers at other 3D stores. This could be an attempt to change that.

Or simply to expand the base of Genesis users so they'll come to the Daz store to buy Genesis stuff, to heck with outher stores.

Maybe the free Daz Studio Standard wasn't enough of an inducement because you had to buy a bunch of add-ons, or pay for an upgrade, to get very far with it. Now they're bypassing all that.

Personally, I have mild interest in the free Bryce but I'm afraid I'll get sucked into buying a lot of after-market stuff for it. Still don't need DS Pro, even free. I've already talked myself out of the "ooh shiny" thing with Genesis. There's plenty of "ooh shiny" right here that I haven't had time to get deep into yet, like V4-WM, Anastasia and Antonia!

It is a game changer in this corner of the CG universe. Those not decided about which software to use can get DS 4 Pro for free for 29 days. Poser Pro 2012 won't be free. Easy pick for most people in these tight times. And anyone wanting to try the Pro version will now have all the regular Pro features to play with. This will substantially increase their user base and gain them more folks wanting to buy content which is still their main business.

And I would bet that previous purchasers will get the future 4.1 release for free or reduced price (it's the version with the big render speedup). The freebie folks will have to upgrade for the render joy. That's my guess for the future.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:10 PM

The only thing that has a faint, very faint, interest is Bryce because it could be used to export freebies in OBP format. I write could because in the past I never managed to do so; considering that Blender is getting top notch booleans thru Carve library I am wondering if downloading and installing Bryce is worth the effort.

B.t.w., now that the thing is officially irrelevant to Poser and Poser users, this thread is utterly off topic.

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:13 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:14 PM

Quote - It is a game changer in this corner of the CG universe. Those not decided about which software to use can get DS 4 Pro for free for 29 days. Poser Pro 2012 won't be free. Easy pick for most people in these tight times. And anyone wanting to try the Pro version will now have all the regular Pro features to play with. This will substantially increase their user base and gain them more folks wanting to buy content which is still their main business.

And I would bet that previous purchasers will get the future 4.1 release for free or reduced price (it's the version with the big render speedup). The freebie folks will have to upgrade for the render joy. That's my guess for the future.

Whatever.

I have barely more than two nickels to rub together. I started modeling mostly because I had to make what I was unable to buy. This isn't a game changer as far as I'm concerned. For instance, I can get DS4 Pro for free  or I can buy Poser Pro 2012. Guess what I'm buying in two weeks?

yawn

Laurie

meatSim ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:14 PM

really?!  they would make you pay for an upgrade from 4 to 4.1?  I get that some folks will get 4 for free.. but honestly I walk away in disgust if I have to pay for upgrades between versions.  Poser 8 to 9.. fair game.. poser 9 to 9 SR1 or 2 or 6... I'd be steaming mad!  But then DS upgrades are pretty much a non-issue for me... still.. that speaks pretty poorly of the companu in my opinion.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:17 PM

Quote - I'd I would bet that previous purchasers will get the future 4.1 release for free or reduced price (it's the version with the big render speedup). The freebie folks will have to upgrade for the render joy. That's my guess for the future.

That would be a good way to reward those who shelled out money.  But they said in the announcement that the free versions would be eligible for upgrade pricing, just like the paid versions.

coldrake ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:33 PM

Quote - really?!  they would make you pay for an upgrade from 4 to 4.1?

No.

Coldrake

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:43 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:49 PM

You guys all know what a Forum rabble-rouser I am? NOT! :lol:

Yet, I just had a post removed at DAZ, (I hadn't refreshed the page when I got the notice)  to whit...

I guess I now know never to buy anything at DAZ when it first comes out...

I wonder when V5 will be free? I won't be getting her soon otherwise...

PS the thread is broken already...

I guess it's even more broken now :rolleyes:* * And I like DAZ's products (except for Studio, but I own Hex and Bryce 7 Pro and Carrara 8 Prp) and they have great customer service, and have bought a ton there. Sheesh!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quote - You guys all know what a Forum rabble-rouser I am? NOT! :lol:

Yet, I just had a post removed at DAZ, (I hadn't refreshed the page when I got the notice)  to whit...

I guess I now know never to buy anything at DAZ when it first comes out...

I wonder when V5 will be free? I won't be getting her soon otherwise...

PS the thread is broken already...

I guess it's even more broken now :rolleyes:* * And I like DAZ's products (except for Studio, but I own Hex and Bryce 7 Pro) and they have great customer service, and have bought a ton there. Sheesh!

Sorry, WandW!  Oh, and BTW, V5 is already free.

3DArtist and 3D World have V5 and content on their CD's for this month.

http://www.3dworldmag.com/

http://www.3dartistonline.com/

ToxicWolf ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:50 PM

Since they had studio 4 pro for free, I downloaded it, but I am not sure if I will use it.  Can anyone tell me what this means:

32 Bit OS support
64-bit Hardware Support

Poser Pro 2012 SR3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core I7 990x 3.46G 6 core

24G RAM

EVGA GTX580 R Video Card

Single HP LP2475 1920x1200 monitor

http://www.toxicwolf.com

adroge ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 6:59 PM

I don't think that DAZ sat there when DS4 was released thinking "... okay, and at the end of January, lets make it free for a month." Really? Do people really think this?

I think this is a good move (possibly the only good short term move they can make) for DAZ and their customers. It will be a great way to get people to try their software who wouldn't consider it before, or thought the featureless version that was/is free earlier was lacking too much.

I still think that DAZ would have fared much better if they didn't cut off a chunk of their market in the first place. If DAZ can make a V6 that's truly outstanding and natively takes advantage of all the poser features, then I would reinstate my platinum club membership and get it.

lkendall ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:01 PM

When Poser 5 was given away, it allowed me to afford the upgrade to Poser 6 (with a free upgrade to Poser 7). That was a game changer for me, but I WANTED Poser. D/S was free then, but no amount of money or time made D/S usable for me, and I am still underwhelmed.

DAZ3D is playing their version of hardball. Clearly, content is still the real money maker for them. It will be interesting to see if S/M responds, or even needs too. D/S is a big program, it takes a lot of disk space, and a fairly up-to-date computer. A runtime full of content costs a lot of money too, and the DAZ store is flakey (it took me two hours last night to place a simple order).

lmk

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:02 PM

I was gonna say...no way they'd make ppl pay for an incremental update/service release...lol ;).

Laurie

Vially ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:03 PM

Now THAT is interesting... wrong angle to be natural... Hmmm wonder what it is... shall we place bets?  Maybe its actually a Bryce 7.0 Render at full resolution capabilities?

(that was a joke BTW.. I did download Bryce, simply because I've been pulling 3.1 forward since I bought it... never use it, but hey, freee upgrade? I'm there.)

Quote - Gee, this is more of a game changer then that (and it is rumored to be the Millennium Falcon)

A group of treasure hunters based in Stockholm, using sonar, has found a strange disc-shaped object on the floor of the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Finland. From above, it looks a bit like the Millennium Falcon of "Star Wars" fame. It's large -- 197 feet in diameter -- and it's in about 275 feet of water. Leading to (or from) it is a churned-up track on the sea floor of about 1,600 feet.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/shipwreck-baltic-sea-ufo-millennium-falcon-disc-shaped/story?id=15471558#.Tyf-iCOkl4s

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:03 PM

Quote -
Sorry, WandW!  Oh, and BTW, V5 is already free.

3DArtist and 3D World have V5 and content on their CD's for this month.

http://www.3dworldmag.com/

http://www.3dartistonline.com/

Thanx for the heads up!  It takes a couple of weeks for it to find its way across the Pond, so I'll beep an eye out... 😄

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Vially ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:06 PM

Oh and P.S.

I tried DS awhile ago on my Win 7 Ultimate sytem.. would not even load, ever, crashed every time... so I uninstalled the "free" download...

Then got a bill...

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:10 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:13 PM

No question the giveaway will persuade more people to try Daz Studio (the whole reason they made it free). Some of those people are perfectly happy with Poser but will try DS Studio Pro, because free is free, right? Just saying, personally, even the free-ness doesn't tempt me to go down that road.

The only reason I would is to play with Genesis, and I haven't been blown away by what I've seen made from Genesis. As for the nifty bends I hear tell about, got that right here already. Don't need to learn a new program to get that.

But I'm sure the giveaway will do what it is intended to do. That's cool. 

I bet DS4 Pro doesn't go back to $429.95 after the 30 days. I bet they make it $99 or even $49. Once you give something away for free, it's hard to convince someone it's worth paying $429.95 for.

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:16 PM

Bet the goal was to get all their DS3 users up to DS4 so they could sell more-more users could use DS4 content.  Game changing for their DS3 users...yes. Biggest annoucement in years....IMHO, No!

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:16 PM

Quote - Since they had studio 4 pro for free, I downloaded it, but I am not sure if I will use it.  Can anyone tell me what this means:

32 Bit OS support
64-bit Hardware Support

Presuming you are using Windows, it just means it includes 32 and 64-bit versions; install the version corresponding to your OS.

I run the 32-bit on Linux using Wine...

jartz ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:20 PM

Wow...

What a game-changer!

...and just to think that I would hear that they would cave and try to let the Poserverse savor the experience of V5 -- oh well.  Maybe Genesis is that good.

...or maybe they want us to join the darkside.  --oh, the signals.

I had Hex in the PC craze of the mid 2000s, I had Bryce since version 4, just started Carrara (not in their free plan) when it was in version 5.  But Daz Studio 4 Pro --

I thank them for offering though, at least will have the best of both worlds.

We can dream can we.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

wimvdb ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:26 PM

Giving away DS4Pro for a month is not industry shaking or game changing by a long shot. Those who were interested in at all already have the free basic version of DS4, so it won't even increase the user base of DS4.

I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is

lkendall ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:28 PM

The problems for D/S 3.expensive users was not just the cost of D/S 4.expensive. Many needed useful (and costly) plug-ins that were made for D/S 3, and are not afforable or available for D/S 4. The lack of those plug-ins would disrupt the work flow of many D/S 3 users. They may not be able to use even a free upgrade.

lmk

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:28 PM

Quote - Bet the goal was to get all their DS3 users up to DS4 so they could sell more-more users could use DS4 content.  Game changing for their DS3 users...yes. Biggest annoucement in years....IMHO, No!

Problem there being from what I've read on their forums, there are a pretty good number of DS3 users that are planning on ignoring DS4, they just don't like it.  A few of them have also changed to P9 or PP2012, could be DS4 isn't the bomb burst they hoped it would be.  I don't have any figures, can't say.

Downloaded it, not sure if it's going any further than that, my junk computer isn't set up at the moment, might never be either.

D.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

jartz ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:29 PM

Quote - I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is

Same here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

Niles ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:39 PM

Damn, and I wasn't playing that (DS) game.  Not much into Games anyway.

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:46 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:47 PM

Quote - > Quote - I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is

Same here.

Just my humble 2 ¢ worth

I think they are trying to pull a Microsoft*,and doing it to get their content development tools out into peoples' hands, as the development of third-party content for Genesis has lagged compared to the Intoduction of V4/M4.

• Back in the early '90s, Microsoft started giving their Windows development tools away after IBM targeted their operating system, OS/2,  to the mainstream PC market.  It was sucessful in getting more Windows software applications written...

ToxicWolf ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:06 PM

Quote - > Quote - Since they had studio 4 pro for free, I downloaded it, but I am not sure if I will use it.  Can anyone tell me what this means:

32 Bit OS support
64-bit Hardware Support

Presuming you are using Windows, it just means it includes 32 and 64-bit versions; install the version corresponding to your OS.

I run the 32-bit on Linux using Wine...

Thank you ... I downloaded the 32 and 64 just for fun.  I think I will load the 32 on my backup system and see how I like it.

Poser Pro 2012 SR3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core I7 990x 3.46G 6 core

24G RAM

EVGA GTX580 R Video Card

Single HP LP2475 1920x1200 monitor

http://www.toxicwolf.com

Vially ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:07 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:08 PM

Click start, right click on Computer, select Properties...

If you see, "System type: 64-bit operating sytem"

You want the 64 bit version.. beter performance.

Period

Unless of course DAZ didn't fully utilize the 64 bit capabilites.

Let me put it this way.. My 1980's built 386CPU was 32 bit...

Quote - Since they had studio 4 pro for free, I downloaded it, but I am not sure if I will use it.  Can anyone tell me what this means:

32 Bit OS support
64-bit Hardware Support

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:16 PM

"Sorry, but crows ain't really native to the area."

Making their disappearance an even more mysterious and portentious harbinger of pure evil. Or so the Preacher said as the Church waited in trembling silence.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:24 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:26 PM

Of all the posts about what the announcement was supposed to be on all the various forums nobody was even atom bomb close it appears.

Breaks out my old moldie 1971 Who's Next album, and keys up, "Won't get fooled again!"

Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Need to add Sam's copyrighted image and slogan right here, "You're new here, aren't you!" :laugh:

So how crazy do we get the next time the President of Daz says he has a "Game Changing" big announcement? "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss!"

Gary

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:29 PM

Quote - I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is.

Why should it be any more complex than trying to kick-start the demand for Genesis-compatible products outside their own relatively small circle? Maybe there was a push from the Daz vendors for the company to do something to expand the Genesis base. V4 / M4 products pulled in buyers from all over the hobby. Since the change of focus to Genesis, the market shrunk to those using DS4.

Genesis requires DS4, therefore they need more copies of DS4 out there. Seems fairly straightforward to me.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:34 PM

Not a game changer but I'm happy for the free software even though I can't run it until I get a new system.

It'd be nice to be able to run D|S, since I'd like to offer support for my stuff in that app.

Never tried Hex and my last experience with Bryce was it took forever to render anything.

Still, free is a great price for me.  Ta, DAZ. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

toastie ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quote - I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is

Just backtracking. Every version of D|S I had before 3 was free. The idea was that the program was free and Daz made their money on the content. Then with 3 (which I bought and did a whole 2 renders with) and 4 they changed that. When they brought out 4 I seem to remember an announcement about a change of policy and D|S not being free in the future (except for a very basic version).

Looks like the decision to give D|S a comparatively hefty pricetag and expect users to pay up simply didn't fly. Maybe Genesis just wasn't enough incentive?

So now Daz are having a quick backtrack to the "get the free program and buy lots of content" idea.

I took the plunge as an early adopter and got Poser2012 instead of going for the Daz offering (never used Poser before) and can't see myself ever going back :)

wimvdb ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 8:55 PM

Quote - > Quote - I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is.

Why should it be any more complex than trying to kick-start the demand for Genesis-compatible products outside their own relatively small circle? Maybe there was a push from the Daz vendors for the company to do something to expand the Genesis base. V4 / M4 products pulled in buyers from all over the hobby. Since the change of focus to Genesis, the market shrunk to those using DS4.

Genesis requires DS4, therefore they need more copies of DS4 out there. Seems fairly straightforward to me.

I just don't think it would significantly increase the number of genesis users. DS4 basic was free, so anyone interested in genesis already had the opportunity to get it for free. DS4Pro is attractive for those already owning DS4 - but it does not bring many new users

meatSim ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:08 PM

I dont think the motivation on this is too complex.  They are heavily invested in genesis and user adoption of the figure is not what they had hoped.  Genesis was designed to sell DS4.  Genesis was supposed to be the competitive edge against poser that allowed DS to actually compete for that share of the market.  They have deadlines and targets and projections that they are held accountable to (just like any company with a budget to meet) and they can see at this point that they wont be making them.  Quite likely nobody is buying bryce or hexagon anyway, but when you start giving away your flagship software its not just a company being nice, its a hail mary.  

that being said.. I'll give hexagon a go.. I have been pondering buying Silo2.2 so I'll see how it compares.

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is.

I just don't think it would significantly increase the number of genesis users. DS4 basic was free, so anyone interested in genesis already had the opportunity to get it for free. DS4Pro is attractive for those already owning DS4 - but it does not bring many new users

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:19 PM

Quote - > Quote - I wonder what the real motivation behind this move is

Just backtracking. Every version of D|S I had before 3 was free. The idea was that the program was free and Daz made their money on the content. Then with 3 (which I bought and did a whole 2 renders with) and 4 they changed that. When they brought out 4 I seem to remember an announcement about a change of policy and D|S not being free in the future (except for a very basic version).

Looks like the decision to give D|S a comparatively hefty pricetag and expect users to pay up simply didn't fly. Maybe Genesis just wasn't enough incentive?

So now Daz are having a quick backtrack to the "get the free program and buy lots of content" idea.

I took the plunge as an early adopter and got Poser2012 instead of going for the Daz offering (never used Poser before) and can't see myself ever going back :)

I think you are on to something here.  This is a complete 180 from what they have been telling us over on the DAZ thread forums.  Fewer sales than in the past is what they were saying a few months ago.

My takeaway is simple.  Never, ever, be an early adopter of DAZ software.  You can always let the early adopters find the bugs & get the product free later.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:37 PM

Quick thoughts:

A shrewed move to get more people interested in DS as well as give reluctant content creators a chance to try it out for free.  Likewise people who were averse to gene might be willing to try everything out at a free price.  Gene needs support and sales so I think this is a reasonable gamble for DAZ.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

jerr3d ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:53 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:55 PM

Quote - Of all the posts about what the announcement was supposed to be on all the various forums nobody was even atom bomb close it appears.

Quote - From the DAZ site " ##### SOFTWARE INNOVATION OF THE YEAR 2011

**DAZ Studio 4 Genesis™ Figure Platform wins the 3D World CG Technology Award.**The Genesis Figure was voted Software Innovation of the Year for breaking new ground and providing a clear benefit for artists in the creation or implementation of CG assets."

Since the goal of DAZ's business would be to get more people to use DAZ Studio/Genesis I guess they are going to either give DAZ Studio 4 PRO away for free or at 50% off maybe for a limited time, or some combination like that.

Pardon me, but my last guess was pretty close to exactly right. And I still haven't got my COOKIE!

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 10:13 PM

Quote - > Quote - Of all the posts about what the announcement was supposed to be on all the various forums nobody was even atom bomb close it appears.

Quote - From the DAZ site " ##### SOFTWARE INNOVATION OF THE YEAR 2011

**DAZ Studio 4 Genesis™ Figure Platform wins the 3D World CG Technology Award.**The Genesis Figure was voted Software Innovation of the Year for breaking new ground and providing a clear benefit for artists in the creation or implementation of CG assets."

Since the goal of DAZ's business would be to get more people to use DAZ Studio/Genesis I guess they are going to either give DAZ Studio 4 PRO away for free or at 50% off maybe for a limited time, or some combination like that.

Pardon me, but my last guess was pretty close to exactly right. And I still haven't got my COOKIE!

Get the man a cookie.

SteveJax ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 10:15 PM

Everyone give Jerr a cookie. Can we get back to the real important stuff now like... Who has a date for Valentine's day?

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 10:22 PM

file_478166.jpg

For Jerr

Gary

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.