Sun, Sep 22, 4:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: EZSkin v2

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 3:31 AM

Quote - I note it can do hair props now. Which is great. Is there a way of applying it to clothing props and clothing figures too?

EZSkin works with all figures anyway.

You can trick it into working with props: just select the prop after starting EZSkin and click the 'Use Hair Prop' button. EZSkin is too dumb to know that the prop isn't actually hair and will let you work with it anyway :-)

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 3:32 AM

Quote -  HAHA!

Snarly is indeed the epitome of Snarly's amongst the Gribblys! Never a better Gribbly have I encountered! :-)

Um .. er, ... what can I say?

:-D

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 3:36 AM

Quote - The addition of the rough surface fresnel calculation makes a huge difference. Nice job.

Thanks, although of course the real credit is yours for the shaders!

SM have made a superb product of which they can be very proud, but your work has taken it to a new level altogether.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 3:59 AM · edited Wed, 25 July 2012 at 4:04 AM

Sorry I think I noticed that backspace issue... but I'd have put it down to the peculiarities of my new Apple slimline bluetooth keyboard... which, in what I think is the epitomy of form-over-function, has been castrated of it's numeric keys and, worst of all, delete key.

Apparently I have to buy a 3rd party numeric keypad... and, I assume, a 3rd party delete button keypad... anyway...

My other, side-question is.... is there a method by which I can more easily set up sss / sss based translucence, i.e. for inanimate materials like stone, marble, potato, apple, etc... with any of the settings, at present?

If that question makes sense...

EDIT: I'm thinking in terms of applying the non-skin presets, for the likes of the above mentioned materials...

...I'm guessing, not yet, is the answer to that? But equally, I expect I could well have missed something... so thought I'd ask...

...and apologies if I've just not been paying enough attention in previous EZSkin threads.

😉

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 4:02 AM

Quote - > Quote - I note it can do hair props now. Which is great. Is there a way of applying it to clothing props and clothing figures too?

EZSkin works with all figures anyway.

You can trick it into working with props: just select the prop after starting EZSkin and click the 'Use Hair Prop' button. EZSkin is too dumb to know that the prop isn't actually hair and will let you work with it anyway :-)

That is cool as :-)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 4:17 AM

Quote - My other, side-question is.... is there a method by which I can more easily set up sss / sss based translucence, i.e. for inanimate materials like stone, marble, potato, apple, etc... with any of the settings, at present?

No, not yet.

I have plans, though ;-)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 4:36 AM

Quote - No, not yet.

I have plans, though ;-)

Awesome 😄

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 6:19 AM
Site Admin

It's supposed to work with hair. Is that meant to be transmapped hair or stranded? I understand that you can make it work for any prop, just wondering which hair the shader was designed for.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 6:29 AM

Quote - It's supposed to work with hair. Is that meant to be transmapped hair or stranded? I understand that you can make it work for any prop, just wondering which hair the shader was designed for.

Transmapped.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 7:10 AM
Site Admin

Ok thanks. I thought it was. Stranded hair isn't anywhere near as popular as transmapped and stranded hair is rather particular with its shaders.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 7:21 AM

Quote - Ok thanks. I thought it was. Stranded hair isn't anywhere near as popular as transmapped and stranded hair is rather particular with its shaders.

I'm one of those who don't use stranded hair so I'm not familiar with its especial requirements.

If anyone wanted to donate a quality stranded hair shader that is in the public domain I'd be happy to incorporate it into EZSkin ....

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 10:16 AM

I guess one could just try it. See how the present hair shader looks on a strand hair group, since they too are props. That would work, right?

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 2:52 PM
Site Admin

I did try the settings on stranded hair. A bit of a PITA since the hair I chose had 7 hair  unrecognised hair groups so I had to add them all by hand (wanted consistancy) and then it didn't look that great. :(  The left was the original and the right is the ezskin shader. oh well.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 11:00 PM

Haha! Three Cheers for Snarly!

Quote - > Quote -  HAHA!

Snarly is indeed the epitome of Snarly's amongst the Gribblys! Never a better Gribbly have I encountered! :-)

Um .. er, ... what can I say?

:-D

Hana-Hanabi ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2012 at 11:27 PM

I know of a paper written by the people who did the strand hair shaders for Disney's Tangled, but it doesn't have shaders...just a lot of math that I sadly don't understand. Siiiigh.

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 2:17 AM · edited Thu, 26 July 2012 at 2:20 AM

Wow EZSkin 2 really is awesome. Being able to sss parts of unknown clothing, or whatever, figures and props really is a huge bonus... now I just need to resist getting a bit too slap happy with SSS'ing EVERYTHING :lol:

Actually though, the range of material properties you can get out of the different human figure material zones is pretty comprehensive, I guess... so for amping up any image map textured items, whether those are animal figures, clothing figures, soft furnished parts of furniture... and you can easily set up and save presets for those different things... it is now a truly indispensable tool I reckon.

😄

One question... is it possible to extract out and redistribute the presets at all?

So folk could potentially share their settings in file format?

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 3:22 AM

Quote - One question... is it possible to extract out and redistribute the presets at all?

So folk could potentially share their settings in file format?

From the context of your message I think by presets you mean figure definitions.

If so, then yes - it's under the 'File' menu: Export figure definitions

You can choose which ones you export. The ones you choose will all be exported to a single file. It's best to only extract the one you want to share, to avoid the danger overwriting someone else's figure definitions!

A 'Preset' in EZSkin is a collection of all the values in the UI controls (with a few exceptions such as Special FX settings). You can save your own presets and import / export them too - all under the Presets menu.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 3:39 AM

I did mean the UI presets actually Snarly... although that's good info on the figure defs too 😄

I was just thinking along the lines of people being able to post a copy of UI presets that work for them, in forum posts etc... so others can easily try them.

Of course, the UI itself is so straight forward and quick to use, manually, this idea may be moot... but at the same time it could be useful being able to share these UI preset files too... as opposed to typing a longer list of values in a post?

The other thing I thought of was that character texture designers could ship (e.g.) a single mat set up, but then in addition a few EZSkin UI presets, for different, suggested, looks on top of their base skins? Just a thought...

😉

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 3:50 AM

Ah, ok :-)

Yes, all good uses of the exported presets!

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quote - I have plans, though ;-)

Beware of people named gribbly, they tend to have Snarly plans :thumbupboth:

My only question is, with all the improvements in SceneFixer and EzSskin, when do you find time to sleep?

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Hana-Hanabi ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 10:03 AM

I'm hoping my absolute idiocy is caused by the sinus meds I'm on, but until I get better...is someone here willing to walk me through how to get EZSkin to apply a SSS shader to my hair prop? 'Cause the way I'm doing it is totally not working. At all.

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quote - I'm hoping my absolute idiocy is caused by the sinus meds I'm on, but until I get better...is someone here willing to walk me through how to get EZSkin to apply a SSS shader to my hair prop? 'Cause the way I'm doing it is totally not working. At all.

If the hair is indeed a prop, and not a figure, then:

• Ensure there is a figure selected in your scene
  • Then select the hair prop
  • Run EZSkin
  • Click the 'Use hair prop' button
  • Go to the editor tab
  • In the shaders drop down box (bottom left), select 'hair'
  • Select all the mat zones in the large materials list
  • Click 'Apply shader' button

Ta daa!

Progress is being made with the user guide ...

ps: I'll be in the chat room for most of this evening (UK time), if you need any more help

Hana-Hanabi ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 6:23 PM

I thought that was what I did, but....sinus medication. Who knows what I actually did do, heh. As soon as my current render finishes, I will take care to try the steps in very careful order and report back (most likely that it works, now that I have a handy checklist! ^_~).

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

Latexluv ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2012 at 8:53 PM

Hmmmm, a way to specify Scatter groups???

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 2:29 AM

Quote - Hmmmm, a way to specify Scatter groups???

Not in this version, but could be added in an update. I'd be interested to know how people would llike it to work, if it were to be added ...

Latexluv ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 2:54 AM

As long as Mouth parts, Torso, Limbs, Head, and Eye groups can be given a different Scatter group number through the EZSkin interface then I think that would save people a lot of work. I'm developing a character/texture set for the Marketplace and have had to manually go through and number these groups so that I could cut down on the blue problem at render. I'm pretty sure other people would find this useful.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Latexluv ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 3:19 AM

file_484368.jpg

My character with EZSkin and tweeks to various settings therein.

Weapons of choice:

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 5:59 AM

Quote - As long as Mouth parts, Torso, Limbs, Head, and Eye groups can be given a different Scatter group number through the EZSkin interface then I think that would save people a lot of work. I'm developing a character/texture set for the Marketplace and have had to manually go through and number these groups so that I could cut down on the blue problem at render. I'm pretty sure other people would find this useful.

I actually thought EZSkin did this automatically now?

Shadowdancer ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 6:02 AM

Snarly, I'd just like to say many thanks to you & Bagginsbill for this wonderful addition to the poser toolbox.

It's easy to use & I'm very impressed by the results it gives.

Keep  up the good work guys, you rock.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 6:04 AM

Quote - My character with EZSkin and tweeks to various settings therein.

Superb! Especially love the mouth and that subtle smile.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 6:18 AM

Quote - > Quote - As long as Mouth parts, Torso, Limbs, Head, and Eye groups can be given a different Scatter group number through the EZSkin interface then I think that would save people a lot of work. I'm developing a character/texture set for the Marketplace and have had to manually go through and number these groups so that I could cut down on the blue problem at render. I'm pretty sure other people would find this useful.

I actually thought EZSkin did this automatically now?

EZSkin adopts a fairly simple approach: everything goes in Group 1 except the 'skin' shader, which goes in group 2. There's a second skin shader which is identical but goes in group 3 - that one is called 'nostrils' because that was its intended use :-) In fact, in my own renders I sometimes use 'nostrils' instead of skin on some materials, just to get the different grouping. You could do that LatexLuv's character's limbs, for example - set them to use 'nostril' shader and they'll still get the same nodes as the skin shader but with a different grouping. I wish I'd called it 'Skin2' or something now!

Also, we should remember that EZSkin is designed as a generic solution that works on all figures, not just V4. Assigning scatter groups to 'groups' of materials only makes sense if a figure has material zones that lend themselves to such groupings. For example, some figures only have a single matzone for torso and limbs combined so putting them into separate groups is not possible.

I'll think about this a bit more. There are several different approaches that could work and I need to make sure I choose the best one.

The big question to answer is whether the scatter grouping should form part of the figure definition or not. A 'yes' answer to that has a lot more complications than a 'no' answer for me :-)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 6:20 AM

Addendum to last post:

The hair shader (specifically) takes a different approach - each material in the hair model gets a different scatter group assigned if SSS is selected.

rubina ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2012 at 1:15 AM

Attached Link: rubina

First I want to say hello. This is my first post and I'm sorry, my native language is german ;-) So, I hope, I can explain my problem correctly.

I love Ezskin. It's a wonderful product and so helpless!!!!!!

I am using Poser 9 and would love to make a tattoo on a sss skin textur, but when I put a tattoo on it, it isn't working.( I tried to used shana Tattoos http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/inked-vol-7/80713

It seems Poser deleted it in the material room. It's there, but not on the right place. With SSS Skin the material room is full of nodes and I really don't know where to put the tattoo on a right place. Is there any way to make that with EzSkin or should I gave up? I am not a professionell with the materail room. I tried so much, but maybe I am to blond for that ;-)

Many thanks in advance!!!!!!

Rubina

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2012 at 5:31 PM

Hi Rubina,

EZSkin v2 can do tattoos, but at the moment it is not straightforward.

You need to set up the tattoos as a 'Special Effect'. This is done using a tool I wrote especially for that purpose, called 'Nodegrabber'.

Unfortunately I have not had the time to document the use of Nodegrabber so while it is freely available it may not be easy to get results with it.

Hopefully I'll be able to write some instructions for Nodegrabber soon, but because its use also requires some knowledge of how to set up shaders in the Material Room the instructions are either going to be quite detailed or only targetted at those comfortable with using the Material Room.

rubina ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2012 at 11:30 PM

Thanks so much for this information. So I will not give up to learn more about the shaders in the material room.

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 2:52 AM · edited Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:01 AM

file_486211.jpg

I'm try to work with EZSKIN 2 on V4 Wet hair.

When i click on the "USE HAIR PROP" button EZSKIN tell me "Selected actor is a figure body part"

what about ?

I have now seen that the hair does not appear as Prop for V4, but as a figure in its own right

Poser Pro 2014 SR 1 on Windows 7 64 bit
I use IDL, Gamma Correction and EZSkin for all final renders.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:01 AM · edited Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:03 AM

You need to select the hair first ... then use that button

EDITED TO ADD: Also, v2.01 is not the latest version - you should be using v2.06!

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:03 AM · edited Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:06 AM

I have made this, anyway now I try again

wow Snarlygribbly , you're faster than my PC, I do not finish downloading EZSKIN that you make a new release ....

Ok, sorry, now i download the new release....

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:16 AM · edited Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:16 AM

file_486212.jpg

There is the same trouble also using V 2.0.6, "Selected actor is a figure body part"

I have now seen that the hair does not appear as Prop for V4, but as a figure in its own right

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:20 AM

Ah .. that is different!

The 'Use hair prop' button is just for using .. hair props!

Not hair figures.

Hair figures should first be selected, then configured in the Editor tab. Assign the 'hair' shader to all appropriate parts of the hair and you're good to go. If you want, you can save your definition so that EZSkin wil recognise it autoamtically in future.

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:22 AM

Ok, now works fine.

You have created a wonderful thing, thank you very much.

xpdev ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 6:23 AM · edited Fri, 07 September 2012 at 6:30 AM

the latest version of the effects for the wet skin is that released with EZSKIN V2.06 ?

for the best effect is needed a specular light ?

thanks.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 3:10 AM

Hi Snarly

A minor bug with 2.06 (at least the Mac version). When I select the option for Skin 1,2, Ketchup, Marble, etc. It selects the correct option-but does not check the box for "use Material"

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 3:19 AM

Quote - Hi Snarly

A minor bug with 2.06 (at least the Mac version). When I select the option for Skin 1,2, Ketchup, Marble, etc. It selects the correct option-but does not check the box for "use Material"

Ah... er... that might explain something for me! Doh! :lol: off to check I do get the same issue

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 5:24 AM

Quote - Hi Snarly

That is by design, rather than a bug :-)

My understanding was that users wanted the the differnt SSS treatments but wanted to retain the colour from the attached texture map.

EZSkin has always left the 'use material' unchecked so that the skin colour would be derived solely from that of the texture maps.

Having said that, I could add an option to use the material to the UI easily enough, if it was seen as useful?

I'll see if i can do that this evening, and I'll post it to the EZSkin beta site for you to test. If it isn't there later then I'll make sure to do it tomorrow :-)

Edit: This would, however affect all shaders applied to the figure. An alternative approach would be to create a new shader in EZSkin ('usematerial') that would always tick the 'Use material' box. This approach would let you use the new feature selectively, only applying it to the material zones to which the new shader had been applied.

What do you think?

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 6:33 AM

Ok... it does, of course untick the "use material" for me. But, you're right Snarly... that's what I'd want most of the time. I was mixing up what this was doing.

I am neutral on adding a "use material" option to EZSkin... for all I'd use it, I can happily manually set this in the shader. 

Many thanks 😄

nevynman ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 3:56 AM

Hi, I am wanting to render using EZSkin 2, and the Dublin skin texture. I can't really notice much difference in my render, and takes a lot longer to render using the default settings in EZskin 2, can anyone suggest settings for realism. I don't mind extra render time if the results will wow me, which by some renders here at Rendo, is quite possible. Thanks nev.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 8:44 PM

Which current version of Poser do you have?  Poser 9 or PoserPro 2012?

nevynman ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 4:55 AM

Quote - Which current version of Poser do you have?  Poser 9 or PoserPro 2012?

Sorry, have to update my details on Rendo! I am using Poser Pro 2012 SR3.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 11:16 AM

But doesn't Dublin already have SSS included in her material collection?  And IIRC, it is somewhat loosely based on BB's VSS adaptation, but I can be wrong.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.