Thu, Sep 19, 11:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:56 pm)

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 5:43 PM

Quote - Or in FSMCDesigns case, you can also use it to create breast implants......

LOL thats funny shit as Paolo would say Good ol Doc

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 6:02 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2012 at 6:03 PM

Quote - Mind you, this render Here, and here were made using the same top with transmaps that I made myself.  Hell.. I've made like 15 different styles for this top and all have worked fine up til this one.

have you loaded a previous daz scene that worked, change the transparancy map ONLY in reality and rendered it?

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 6:04 PM

Quote - have you loaded a previous daz scene that worked, change the transparancy map in reality and rendered it?

no. i trashcan my scenes after they render as long as i want them to

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 6:07 PM

Quote - no. i trashcan my scenes after they render as long as i want them to

I must be a horder - I still have Daz 2 scenes (They won't load... but I still keep them! LOL)

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 6:34 PM

Here's an example.. you can see the black splotches where the trans map should be making the a blank spot

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 6:56 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2012 at 6:56 PM

Me too I delete scenes unless I think I will need them in the future. I However I am a content hoarder!

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 7:00 PM

the only time this has happent to me is when my pure black and white are off

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 7:11 PM

well.. my pure black is pure black..  when i'm making any kind of texture and i have to fill the outside area with a color.. i use either edit|Fill|black or edit|fill|white and those guy pure black or white whichever..  i haven't changed my workflow one bit and all of a sudden this aren't working with just this one piece of clothing.. other stuff is working fine

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 7:23 PM

Quote - Or in FSMCDesigns case, you can also use it to create breast implants......

Nahh, I prefer saline, LOL ;-)

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 7:27 PM

Quote - > Quote - no. i trashcan my scenes after they render as long as i want them to

I must be a horder - I still have Daz 2 scenes (They won't load... but I still keep them! LOL)

I must be as well then as I save all my scenes. Part of my creativity is opening up old scenes and giving them new life and sometimes a partial scene fits the bill for a commision project, big time saver. When I built this PC, I saved all my old poser, DS and carrara scenes on an external HD along with the complete runtime I had. Sometimes i just plug it in and load up from there.

Can't imagine not saving them, HD space is cheap these days.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:13 PM

Attached Link: Fringe lab

file_484947.jpg

Agreed I have 2 1T external drive. I think its just a habit I did not get into. Anyhoo several new Fringe renders...

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:13 PM

Attached Link: Fringe lab 2

file_484948.jpg

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:14 PM

Attached Link: Peter & Olivia

file_484950.jpg

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:15 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:20 PM

Attached Link: Concern

file_484951.jpg

4... Mikey I have high boots 3 for V4 with transferring the Morphs I am able to get them to work decently..

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:15 PM

Quote - Here's an example.. you can see the black splotches where the trans map should be making the a blank spot

I was right in the middle of hitting enter to send you my observations and our power blipped! ARRRG!! Thunderstorm making thunder and no rain doesn't help the a/c run less...

Anyhow, I know you said you've got absolute black, but those edges and their swiss-chessyness look like the salt and pepper effect of near black. I can offer a fresh conversion from your main texture if you're interested.

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:23 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:23 PM

Quote - OK I have been experimenting (after a good tut from sharkbyte) with Amazon's Ec2 - instead on networking to the cloud instance of the computer, I installed LuxRender on it and then started a render on my machine. I saved all the assets, .xls .flm and zipped it up and uploaded it. I resumed the flm. All seemed to be going well....

The longer it ran the more noise I got -

Arumbus, was this the feed from the server end of things or your laptop?

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:32 PM

the server. It is only runniung on the server. It is not networked

the one that ran on my laptop (150 or so samples) I did a few days ago:

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:45 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:46 PM

Just pulled that trans map up in photoshop.. eye-droppered the black section and checked the color picker and it's rgb value is 0.0.0.. so it's absolute black

I'm going to whip up a trans map for something else and see if it still does it

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quote - the server. It is only runniung on the server. It is not networked

the one that ran on my laptop (150 or so samples) I did a few days ago:

Wow. In the data line, the server version was going at a snail mail-like pace of 54 sample per second. Not kilosamples mind you. In renderese, 54 s/s is the equivalent speed of painting by numbers. It'd take forever to get an adequate number of samples. I wonder why that is. (??)

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:52 PM

on blowing it up it looks like it is intersecting with another map (bump, normal, displacement?) it should not make a difference.... but make the bikini noticably bigger than the breast and see if the issue goes away - just a thought

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 8:56 PM

Quote - Just pulled that trans map up in photoshop.. eye-droppered the black section and checked the color picker and it's rgb value is 0.0.0.. so it's absolute black

I'm going to whip up a trans map for something else and see if it still does it

You could try setting a very narrow border around your main image, defining it as pure white and barely outside your area that you want to be opaque.

If you're starting from square one, make your main image into greyscale, then divide  this on two layers of equal size, one being a pure black background, and the other being just your greyscale part of the transmapped image, then save as a jpeg when you get it where you want, opacity-wise. To me, trans maps and alpha maps are exactly the same thing, or share the same purpose with a different name.

We can do a group troubleshoot using the Daz basic bikini as a control prop

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:00 PM

Quote - on blowing it up it looks like it is intersecting with another map (bump, normal, displacement?) it should not make a difference.... but make the bikini noticably bigger than the breast and see if the issue goes away - just a thought

That does bring up a good point. When I do maps, I start with the one going on the prop as the color jpg version and convert to their counterpart versions (bump, normal, displacement, etc) so they all line up; no one map is 'scratch built' from a separate image in other words.

Sorry if I'm notating the obvious, just working some ideas as they come.

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:03 PM

no idea - it bounced up and down alot - maybe caught at the wrong time (write resume) right now it fluctuates from 0 to 20Ks/s - the o is when it is writing the resume takes several secs to cycle through. it also runs a pretty constant 50 kC/s

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:24 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:24 PM

a little survey

1. what size image do you usually render (i.e. 1500X2000)

2. for this size if you have a "simple scene" (one model, hair, and maybe a few scant clothes), what is your average kS/s and kC/s.

3. your cpu has ? cores and runs at what speed?

4. how much ram do do have?

5. on average how many s/p does it take until the image is considered "done" (for example 300 samples per pixel)

6. how long does it take to get to question 5.

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:43 PM

Quote - a little survey

2276 x 1136 is my default setting in the reality panel and I use this for basic renders. I usually reduce it at final for posting. If I want more detail I up it.

1. for this size if you have a "simple scene" (one model, hair, and maybe a few scant clothes), what is your average kS/s and kC/s.

I don't usually pay attention because no matter what it says, I look for noise in the image to tell me if it's "done" or not.

1. your cpu has ? cores and runs at what speed?

I run a 2 yr old core i7 950 with 8 cores OC'ed to 3.6 ghz water cooled for gaming since I develop addons for some games.

1. how much ram do do have?

12 gig GeIL DDR3 at 1600 mghz

1. on average how many s/p does it take until the image is considered "done" (for example 300 samples per pixel)

refer back to number 2

1. how long does it take to get to question 5.

depends on the scene, I usually let scenes run over night.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:49 PM

Thanx Michael

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 10:06 PM

Quote - a little survey

2. for this size if you have a "simple scene" (one model, hair, and maybe a few scant clothes), what is your average kS/s and kC/s.

5. on average how many s/p does it take until the image is considered "done" (for example 300 samples per pixel)

A slightly different angle from me;

1: 1920x976 for screen size renders; tests before final, anywere from 1150 to 15xxx976; My screen is 22" but the overlay in studio takes up some space

2: again for a final render with a fairly simple props, I run just an IBL and one mesh and average anywhere from 370-780ks/s. Lux is good with huge scenes, but I've noticed that the more geometry you add doesn't affect things as much as how many lights are in your scene. Materials too, to some extent, like glass and the major speed killer, fog. My effciency wavers with each image, usually between 110-220% KC/s I don't average often, but norms seem to follow the ks/s values for me.

3: 6 cores at normal settings 3.2ghz; I overclock with watercooling as well, anywhere from 3.56ghz to 4.1, but that 4.1 tends to crash after an hour or so. My norm and stable is 3.56.

4: 12 gb DDR3 at 2000mhz normal; OC runs between 2200 and my highest was 2789 before the ol' blue screen of death. I leave it at 2000 when rendering for stability

5: All depends on the scene. Even with one figure, I look for 1k/pixel, but a simple scene with one figure can look clean and crisp at just 600 or so. Larger scenes need more samples to clean up. 1.5k seems to clear most any abnormalities if you're not using volumetric effects (light/fog), generally speaking. This is really a matter of taste.

6: Simple-ish scene for 1.5-2k on this rig is generally between 2-4 hours. If I'm just doing promo images with a figure and an IBL for my light source, an hour is very repeatable.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 10:41 PM

I agree glass & lights majorly extend render times

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 10:44 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2012 at 10:44 PM

Rick opens Excel....

Thanx - I feel so underpowered..... but with the economy it will be a while b4 I get new equipment.

Any ideas on my remote situation?

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well.. I finally figured out the cause of that issue.  It was caused by me trying to take a shortcut that actually cost me nearly two days of hair-pulling.

On the materials tab.. you got what looks like this

Bikini_Bra_DS
     >Bikini_Bra
          All the material
          settings
      >Bikini_Straps
          All its material
          settings

Normally for a complicated outfit you would go down to the second tier and open each material surface individually and change each part's maps.  Well.. since both the bra and straps used the same maps I THOUGHT I could take a shortcut and just click on the top tier and change the maps for both parts at the same time.  NOPE.. not happening.. because the changes you make on the top tier do not necessarily change the maps for the second tier too.  You HAVE to do it the long way and change each material surface individually.  I feel like a doofus.  Changed things the each material surface way and it rendered perfectly. 

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:12 PM

SBT.. u have a hexacore i7 or amd?

this is the box i'm looking to build
AMD Phenom II-X6 - 1090T
8 Gigs of ram(board max)
2 - 2tb seagate barracudas
BD-burner
AMD Radeon - HD7770

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:20 PM

Quote - SBT.. u have a hexacore i7 or amd?

this is the box i'm looking to build
AMD Phenom II-X6 - 1090T
8 Gigs of ram(board max)
2 - 2tb seagate barracudas
BD-burner
AMD Radeon - HD7770

I'm a bit of an AMD underdog, 1090T black Just hard to beat it for half the price of Intel where that counts.

I went with an Asus mobo AM2, M4n98TD something or other, to run SLI. It will also take 16gb of memory, or more if you like those pricey 8gb sticks.

I know AMD and ATI cards like to run together, but Nvidia has always received my money. My .02

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:23 PM

Quote - Well.. I finally figured out the cause of that issue.  It was caused by me trying to take a shortcut that actually cost me nearly two days of hair-pulling.

On the materials tab.. you got what looks like this

Bikini_Bra_DS
     >Bikini_Bra
          All the material
          settings
      >Bikini_Straps
          All its material
          settings

Normally for a complicated outfit you would go down to the second tier and open each material surface individually and change each part's maps.  Well.. since both the bra and straps used the same maps I THOUGHT I could take a shortcut and just click on the top tier and change the maps for both parts at the same time.  NOPE.. not happening.. because the changes you make on the top tier do not necessarily change the maps for the second tier too.  You HAVE to do it the long way and change each material surface individually.  I feel like a doofus.  Changed things the each material surface way and it rendered perfectly. 

Doh! Good to see you got it working though. I do that too on occasion, holding down control plus clicking each tab to get them to update all at the same time. But you're right, it only works for certain parts. Skin it does, clothes, sometimes.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:32 PM

Quote - Rick opens Excel....

Thanx - I feel so underpowered..... but with the economy it will be a while b4 I get new equipment.

Any ideas on my remote situation?

I know what you mean. I usually don't have the best luck at anything, but the rig I built at the right time (for once!). I simply don't have the funds to do it now.

Anyway, back to your ec2 deal. I grew rather curious after you guys started working with it, but for that bottom tier free server, I'm not seeing any great numbers to justify the use, being brutally honest. Unless you're running like 20 of those top servers, I can match or beat the performance at home. My thoughts, if you can get your warhorse to 20k/s without much effort, it just seems more efficent that way.

Now if I was doing an animation, that would certainly change my thinking.

I've probably beat this horse to death, but I'm really waiting for the Lux hybrid mode to go hardcore. 384 GPU cores plus 6 cpu and using all the system memory would make me one happy camper! (J, are you reading this? =D)

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:32 PM

the only ones of that mobo i can find is mobo only and an amd II x6 1090t by itself is crazy expensive.. i can get a similar asus mobo with 4 ram slots instead with cpu for 245

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:34 PM

that free server on aws blows.. even the extra large @ 90 cents an hour only renders about 4x faster than my laptop.  in october when student loans come in i'm going to try out the quad gpu servers and see what they can do on a hybrid render

Arumbus ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:53 PM

I am trying out their "medium hi-cpu" (2 cores X 2.5) for this actually. I tested the free service and knew it would never work

superboomturbo ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 12:09 AM · edited Thu, 09 August 2012 at 12:12 AM

Newegg my brethern

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636

AMD FX 8 core is about the same ~$140

Edit: Just saw the 'with cpu' part. Oops. Still, the 1090 is around 109 when you can find them solo. Its 2 years old now. Dang. My rig is lookin' decrepitedly dusty...

superboomturbo ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 12:15 AM

Paolo, question whenever you see this. Will the ACSEL be shared between Studio and Poser? I had a customer remark the other day about Reality (before the Poser news hit) that one of my products came in super greasy in Poser. 'Course, I don't have poser to check this, but it was optimized in daz and for Reality separately. This would save a ton of time me thinks.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 12:52 AM · edited Thu, 09 August 2012 at 12:52 AM

My quickie for the week, larger: http://fav.me/d5aj400

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 8:59 AM

Attached Link: Peter & Olivia 2

file_484970.jpg

More Fringe I set the hair to Matte so it would not have those nasty red splotches. I think it looks fine...

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 9:01 AM

Attached Link: Fringe lab

file_484971.jpg

Nother

Misangelic ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 9:33 AM

Quote - a little survey

1. 2560 x 1440 for final render and half that for test renders

2. I've never done a simple scene like the one you describe. If it's of any help the final render I'm doing at the moment is presently at 123.59 kS/s and 242.29 kC/s.

3. 6 cores, AMD 1090T at 3.5Ghz, which is as high as I want to overclock it on this mummyboard

4. 8 gig of DDR3 1333.

5. I always render until 2500 s/p (except for test renders).

6. From 20 to over 50 hours depending on the scene.

The exhiliration of obscenity, the obscenity of obviousness, the obviousness of power, the power of simulation... ravishing Hyperrealism... mind blowing!

Arumbus ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 9:57 AM

Rick opens excel....

Thank you Oh, Angelic one

Arumbus ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 10:12 AM · edited Thu, 09 August 2012 at 10:15 AM

Quote -
It won't work if Reality exports filename paths as absolute. It's usually better to just copy all the textures into the same directory as .lxs file -- in this case Lux will fallback to them if it can't find a file in the correct location.

I think I may have the answer.... or a couple people in the lux forums told me is more like it.

Quote -
It won't work if Reality exports filename paths as absolute. It's usually better to just copy all the textures into the same directory as .lxs file -- in this case Lux will fallback to them if it can't find a file in the correct location. Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥

SATtvaDeveloper

I actually did not have the texture files.  I always assumed reality exported them to the folder called textures in the "filename-resources" folder. it's empry.I am guessing that if if use the "save with textures" on the materials page I should have all I need. And should I put them in the "textures" folder generated by reality or the main folder (up) with the .lxsI would just try but I plan on trying a more expensive hourly EC2 next time an would rather know first before spending the dollars.

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 10:22 AM

Reality exports the textures to a folder, but the path for the render is absolute:

"string filename" ["F:/Renders/Test_Render"]

I always edit mine before starting the render so it reads

"string filename" ["Test_Render"]

That way the Lux files and textures folder can be copied to any machine.

My DA Gallery

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 10:24 AM

file_484973.jpg

PC specs on pic (Brad I am your father LOL) render sizes 1600x851 times 45 Minutes to 3 days.  3 to 9 hours on avareage I often queue 2 to 4 renders and let er rip!

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 10:31 AM
  1. 1600 x 900 (widescreen)

2. I never do simple scenes LOL. Current scene being rendered: 63 kS/s and 188 kC/s (3 figures and some props)

3. Intel i7 2600K, 4 cores. No overclocking.

4. 16GB DDR3

5. It varies, usually around the 2K mark

6. Up to 4 days, depending on the scene.

My DA Gallery

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 10:34 AM

Quote - 1. 1600 x 900 (widescreen)

1. I never do simple scenes LOL. Current scene being rendered: 63 kS/s and 188 kC/s (3 figures and some props)

2. Intel i7 2600K, 4 cores. No overclocking.

3. 16GB DDR3

4. It varies, usually around the 2K mark

5. Up to 4 days, depending on the scene.

Problem with 3 to 4 days is I never would get my stories done LOL I am glad LUX is flexible that way

Arumbus ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 10:56 AM · edited Thu, 09 August 2012 at 11:02 AM

Doc are you talking about line 16 in the .lxs

"string filename" ["C:/Users/Rick/Desktop/MayaDesk/MayaDeskImage"]

Change to:

"string filename" ["MayaDesk/MayaDeskImage"]

or maybe just

"string filename" ["MayaDesk"]

the material file is all compiled into:

MayaDesk.lxm

?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.