Fri, Sep 20, 10:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:16 am)

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quote - SBS the Def Surf Mat thing happens when you have forgotten to give something a material, if I remember rightly you get it when the objects are grouped together. In Hex select the object one at a time and keep an eye on the materials tab, the one you've missed will not show in the materials tab.

This one is for Kim, she gave me the water-lily candles idea. As you can see, it needs a bit more time to clean things up but as the girl has no clothes on I'm sure no-one will notice.

John.. I tried everything I could think of to do away with it in Hex.  Did some googling on the topic and seems others have an issue with it too.  The way I got rid of it is to export it as on obj, open in 3DS Max, go to materials editor and delete it there.  Then resave the obj, then import into Studio.

The one issue I had with the stein that baffled me last night is the pivot point on the lid.  I set it correctly in Hex.  So that when the thumb tab is pressed down the lid flips up.  Just like a real stein.  Save that out as an obj.  When I open it in Studio, that nice pivot point is gone.  Even when I sent it directly to studio via the Hex bridge it still did the same thing.  I'll figger it out one way or another.

Reggie68 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 10:00 AM · edited Sun, 16 September 2012 at 10:00 AM

Quote - The one issue I had with the stein that baffled me last night is the pivot point on the lid.  I set it correctly in Hex.  So that when the thumb tab is pressed down the lid flips up.  Just like a real stein.  Save that out as an obj.  When I open it in Studio, that nice pivot point is gone.  Even when I sent it directly to studio via the Hex bridge it still did the same thing.  I'll figger it out one way or another.

Don't you have to use the figure setup tools in DS4 and give it bones?

Amethst25 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 10:48 AM

@Charley - Aww thanks Charley..<3

@Doc - Thank you sweetie!!

@ aeddan23 - its called Willow Spring found at Daz.  I got it on sale not long ago.  http://www.daz3d.com/shop/willow-spring

@ Sharkbytes-BamaScans - Thank you!  it was just a quick render to make sure everything was working ok.  Genesis for some reason hesitates when ever I tried to move anything. I was trying to re position a hand and it was so slow, it would hang up on me a couple of seconds later it would move but not how I wanted it to, so I gave up.  But V4 worked like a charm.

My Rendo Gallery

My DA Gallery

argel1200 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:09 AM · edited Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:09 AM

Hey everyone! So is the upgrade to DS4.5 worth the hassle?

deviantArt Gallery

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:21 AM

Depends on who you are asking lol.

My DA Gallery

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quote - > Quote - The one issue I had with the stein that baffled me last night is the pivot point on the lid.  I set it correctly in Hex.  So that when the thumb tab is pressed down the lid flips up.  Just like a real stein.  Save that out as an obj.  When I open it in Studio, that nice pivot point is gone.  Even when I sent it directly to studio via the Hex bridge it still did the same thing.  I'll figger it out one way or another.

didn't even think to give it bones.. wasn't thinking along those lines..

argel1200 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:42 AM

Well, mainly use Reality, gen4 figures (mainly V4 and M4), and I think dfromers and smoothing are the most advanced features I have used. Given that, is there a hige beneift to upgrading?

deviantArt Gallery

john3d ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:42 AM · edited Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:47 AM

file_486511.jpg

Made a couple more candlesticks today, unless I get a request for another more (large reference image please) I think that's it for them.

Kim has very kindly volunteered to test things for me, please drop me a line if you would like to help too :)

Reggie68 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quote - Well, mainly use Reality, gen4 figures (mainly V4 and M4), and I think dfromers and smoothing are the most advanced features I have used. Given that, is there a hige beneift to upgrading?

If you are upgrading from DS4, the main advantage is that smoothing and morph transfer works much better.

The main disadvantage that I personally have is due to my use of scaled characters. Clothes, hairs and shoes don't fit the scaled characters correctly. The issue is fixed but have not been released and as usual with Daz, no communication on when updates will be available.

Reggie68 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - The one issue I had with the stein that baffled me last night is the pivot point on the lid.  I set it correctly in Hex.  So that when the thumb tab is pressed down the lid flips up.  Just like a real stein.  Save that out as an obj.  When I open it in Studio, that nice pivot point is gone.  Even when I sent it directly to studio via the Hex bridge it still did the same thing.  I'll figger it out one way or another.

didn't even think to give it bones.. wasn't thinking along those lines..

Also even if you save it as a prop, isn't that part of Studio, not Hex?

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 12:12 PM

Quote - SBS the Def Surf Mat thing happens when you have forgotten to give something a material, if I remember rightly you get it when the objects are grouped together. In Hex select the object one at a time and keep an eye on the materials tab, the one you've missed will not show in the materials tab.

This one is for Kim, she gave me the water-lily candles idea. As you can see, it needs a bit more time to clean things up but as the girl has no clothes on I'm sure no-one will notice.

water-lily candles, what water-lily candles ?? LOL

Nice one John!

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 12:15 PM

Quote - It's been a while since I posted.  Mostly due to being uninspired, partly because I was scared to move to Daz  4.5, and some because I started playing Guild Wars2 and it's a big time sink.

Well I finally upgraded to Daz 4.5, installed the latest plugin for Reality and now for my first render in over a month.

The Reality Plugin for Daz 4.5 was used in this render.

Nice, I like the lighting and the background!

You could change her expression and add some barking hounds at the base for a halloween render, LOL.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 12:32 PM

effing crash-happy hexagon.. just lost two hours of work due to not saving.. i hate working with orphaned software

john3d ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 1:30 PM

Off topic - Sorry guys :(

SBS - Tut...tut... What did you do to break it ? Hex hardly ever crashes on me, lucky I guess. I've had a look at your Stein idea, got it to work in the end - DS4's bridge is a tad different. I've uploaded a video for you, the host will probably take about an hour to sort things out. I will PM you the link.

Xandi ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 1:44 PM

Quote - "It's been a while since I posted.  Mostly due to being uninspired, partly because I was scared to move to Daz  4.5, and some because I started playing Guild Wars2 and it's a big time sink.

Well I finally upgraded to Daz 4.5, installed the latest plugin for Reality and now for my first render in over a month.

The Reality Plugin for Daz 4.5 was used in this render."

Beautiful render! I love the shadows on her face.

John3d, your candles are fantastic. I can't wait to use them!

Sharky, your models are looking good, so is that dress.  I'd love to learn how to make clothes too.  Once you're an expert maybe you can give lessons ;)

59Burst your render is wonderful.  What drapes did you use?  I've been wanting some transparent drapes for a long time.

Love the Black and White renders you all are doing.  I always enjoyed shooting b&w, and printing it even more.  I'm working on a b&w render now. I'm slightly frustrated that I can't get quite the range of grays when I render as I did when printing on paper. Still, really enjoying it.

I should really work on my rendering more, but Guild Wars 2 has me in its grasp.  I'll struggle to break free more...after I get over this cold.  That's a good excuse, right?

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 1:52 PM

That was a great idea Kim had but you might want to include the product in the render next time John.           Drool!

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 1:55 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - KH, I've heard on the grape vine that Doc is always quick to finish sigh   hehe Abi.

You may want Callad's opinion on that :m_thoughtful:

I thought that was her opinion........ :lol:

Huh? ..seems I missed all the fun since I did not get notifications :/

HUH? Me?? ..I never said such a thing.. ..and I won't elaborate on the subject either.. Just wanna say this: You all know how fast Doc renders.. And you all know how wonderful his results are.. That is his way of doing things. Now put one and one together yourself.  :m_eyelashes:

You didn't miss anything, we were just motivating Anton's next render. That's all we were doing. I promise.  hehe!

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quote - > Quote - Huh? ..seems I missed all the fun since I did not get notifications :/

HUH? Me?? ..I never said such a thing.. ..and I won't elaborate on the subject either.. Just wanna say this: You all know how fast Doc renders.. And you all know how wonderful his results are.. That is his way of doing things. Now put one and one together yourself.  :m_eyelashes:

He's gay?

:lol:

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 1:58 PM

Quote - It's been a while since I posted.  Mostly due to being uninspired, partly because I was scared to move to Daz  4.5, and some because I started playing Guild Wars2 and it's a big time sink.

The Reality Plugin for Daz 4.5 was used in this render.

Nice Kim!   But the next time you might want to let your model finish her hair dye job before jerking her out of the beauty shop.

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 2:00 PM

Quote - This is the stein that I worked on forever and couldn't get quite right.  Seems my tutorial reading yesterday morning paid off a bit.  Still a tad grainy on the base; so, I figure it could have rendered for a few hundred more passes.  This one went about 1300 and I was getting impatient.

A horsey stein, I like.

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 2:04 PM

Quote - Hey everyone! So is the upgrade to DS4.5 worth the hassle?

Over all I would say yes. The big hassle is that every Genesis product and plug-in is being updated for it.

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 2:06 PM

Quote - Made a couple more candlesticks today, unless I get a request for another more (large reference image please) I think that's it for them.

Kim has very kindly volunteered to test things for me, please drop me a line if you would like to help too :)

Awesome!

erik-nl ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 3:07 PM · edited Sun, 16 September 2012 at 3:21 PM

Technical question for Paolo:

Looking at some of the .ply files in Lux's Resources-objects folder using MeshLab I found they contain 6x the number of vertices compared to the .obj files imported into DAZ Studio, but the number of faces is the same as in the .obj's (!). If I then let MeshLab remove duplicate vertices that number shrinks to about the original amount, and the resulting .ply's exported by MeshLab are several MegaBytes smaller. Why are there so many (redundant?) vertices in those Lux .ply's?

I am by no means an expert on mesh geometry, far from it, but to me this looks seriously odd. Is there a logical explanation for this, or is it perhaps a bug?

The Reality_2.0.dll I am using is dated april 26 2012 (Reality_2.20.1.117_DS4_W_64), and Lux is the latest v1.0 release (sept. 10 2012).

Cheers!

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 4:10 PM

Quote - A horsey stein, I like.

Lifelong horseman here.. haven't had one of my own for quite some time now; but, once in the blood.. always in the blood.

Cheated on that one though.  That's actually a miniaturized daz mil horse.

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 4:16 PM

Quote - > Quote - A horsey stein, I like.

Lifelong horseman here.. haven't had one of my own for quite some time now; but, once in the blood.. always in the blood.

Cheated on that one though.  That's actually a miniaturized daz mil horse.

Never owned one myself but love to trail ride.  If I had the space, time and money it would be a TWalker in the stall, the Cadillac of horses.

RFreise ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 4:31 PM

Quote - Hex hardly ever crashes on me, lucky I guess.

Must be I've yet to keep it running long enough to do a project and have tried since ver.1

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 4:39 PM

Attached Link: Run!!

file_486542.jpg

superboomturbo ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 11:04 PM

Quote - > Quote - Hex hardly ever crashes on me, lucky I guess.

Must be I've yet to keep it running long enough to do a project and have tried since ver.1

I've had to same problem. It is an easy program to figure out, and better with some tuts to reference. But it's super crash-o-matic on my rig. Might be fine for one second, then you try to smooth something and wham! All gone... 

I've since found some free modelers, but of course I'm still in user hell trying to figure things out. One of these days... 

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 7:35 AM

I think the whole deal with Hex is just save often.  It's a shame that such a nice and easy-to-use piece of software has to be treated like a redheaded step-child by Daz; but, I guess it's a matter of getting what you pay for.  Then again, even Photoshop will freeze up and crash on me once in a while and it's a $700 behemoth that's been around for nearly 2 decades.

bobvan ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 7:39 AM

Quote - I think the whole deal with Hex is just save often.  It's a shame that such a nice and easy-to-use piece of software has to be treated like a redheaded step-child by Daz; but, I guess it's a matter of getting what you pay for.  Then again, even Photoshop will freeze up and crash on me once in a while and it's a $700 behemoth that's been around for nearly 2 decades.

Arent you a redhead? I never have had PS crash its my friend LOL

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 7:48 AM

yes.. i'm a redhead.. as are my sister, dad, both brothers, and my 2 oldest kids

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:19 AM

does anyone know what would cause the underlying maps of ALL of my hair files to show up in my renders?  it's doing it for my wife too.  I've tried different lighting, changing the diffuse color off of 220's.  I'm at my wits end as to why it's doing what it's doing.  Happens whether I have it set to glossy or matte.  Here's what I'm talking about.  I've changed the mats from glossy to matte and back and forth... toyed with my lighting.. changed my diffuse color.  Nothing seems to work.. and it's happening for my wife too; so, it's not an isoated thing.  It happens, also, with EVERY hair set that I use.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:23 AM

does anyone know what would cause the underlying maps of ALL of my hair files to show up in my renders?  it's doing it for my wife too.  I've tried different lighting, changing the diffuse color off of 220's.  I'm at my wits end as to why it's doing what it's doing.  Happens whether I have it set to glossy or matte.  Here's what I'm talking about.  I've changed the mats from glossy to matte and back and forth... toyed with my lighting.. changed my diffuse color.  Nothing seems to work.. and it's happening for my wife too; so, it's not an isoated thing.  It happens, also, with EVERY hair set that I use.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:24 AM · edited Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:24 AM

file_486554.jpg

does anyone know what would cause the underlying meshes of ALL of my hair files to show up in my renders?  it's doing it for my wife too.  I've tried different lighting, changing the diffuse color off of 220's.  I'm at my wits end as to why it's doing what it's doing.  Happens whether I have it set to glossy or matte.  Here's what I'm talking about.  I've changed the mats from glossy to matte and back and forth... toyed with my lighting.. changed my diffuse color.  Nothing seems to work.. and it's happening for my wife too; so, it's not an isoated thing.  It happens, also, with EVERY hair set that I use.

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:30 AM

Third time lucky lol? Try setting it to null?

My DA Gallery

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:45 AM

I have no idea how to do that doc

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:53 AM · edited Mon, 17 September 2012 at 8:54 AM

Load the hair in Studio, then switch to the Surface Tool. Select the underlying mesh in DS, then call Reality. The mesh should be highlighted. Then, where you set the type in Reality (Glossiness, Matte, etc), select the last one in the list: Null.

In Studio itself you can set the Opacity to zero so it doesn't show in DS renders.

My DA Gallery

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:00 AM

it hasn't rendered enough passes to see for sure.. but I believe the issue may be in the specular color.. was fooling around in studio and used the uber hair(silky) shader on the hair, which changed the specular from the default light grey specular to full black specular.  with the change in the specular, it hasn't shown up yet.. but it's still only 20 passes or so in but i'm not seeing them.  usually at this stage you can see a slighty halo around the hair.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:06 AM · edited Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:06 AM

and yeah.. the null just makes her hair invisible.. and the black specularity helped not at all either.  i never once had this issue in 2.2 or 2.0.  I'm going to try some different hair and see what happens.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:23 AM

have tried 3 different hair styles now... changed from ibl's to mesh lights.. nothing seems to be working... 

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:32 AM

Could you name the hairs? If I have them, I could try it.

My DA Gallery

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:34 AM · edited Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:35 AM

at this rate i'm going to have to go back to 2.2 and studio 4.0 (or quit rendering humans.. because it happens with male hair too).  it's not just me either.  my wife is having the same issue and she doesn't copy my settings at all.  she just goes with studio and reality defaults.  this isn't happening with 3delight.. so it HAS to be something that reality or lux is doing to the materials

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:37 AM

doc.. amphitrite hair, hampton hair, obsession hair, gloria short hair, acutal hair, emirain, i've still got a couple styles to check.. those are just the ones that it's showing up on.  conversely, you can name off some of your fave hair and i can check to see if i have it

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 9:59 AM

i might have this narrowed down to a network rendering issue...  seems the meshes are showing up right after the first sample pull from one of the slave boxes

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 10:00 AM

This was a quick and dirty render, using Wild (left) and Gregoria (right). All default settings, apart from reducing the glossiness on Gregoria.

My DA Gallery

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 10:11 AM

have yet to fully test it out.. but this is where i'm hypothesizing that the issue is coming from. i gpu render on my computer.  laptop and son's computer don't have open cl  compatible vid cards... therefore the network render will default to cpu rendering only on those 2 boxes.  wife's computer can gpu render and this doesn't happen when i solo render or network render with just the wife's computer.  I'm going to do a cpu-only render and see what the results are.  

medmon ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 10:32 AM · edited Mon, 17 September 2012 at 10:33 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Here's my latest. Kinda proud of this one. Let me know what you think!

Mayan Priestess

This baked to about 3800 spp over approx 18 hrs. After all that I still cleaned it up a bit in PaintShopPro to remove some noise.

Hope you like!

Michael

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 10:42 AM

Well done, Michael!

My DA Gallery

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 10:51 AM

doc.. looking into this maybe being the cause of the issue... i inadvertantly moved my cam angle and discovered that the pose i had her hand was intersecting not only her hair but her head too..  so far.. with a different hands-not-in-her-hair pose.. 3 pulls from laptop and no issues

RFreise ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote - I think the whole deal with Hex is just save often.  It's a shame that such a nice and easy-to-use piece of software has to be treated like a redheaded step-child by Daz; but, I guess it's a matter of getting what you pay for.  Then again, even Photoshop will freeze up and crash on me once in a while and it's a $700 behemoth that's been around for nearly 2 decades.

For me saving often isn't an issue simply because it crashes before I can get that far most of the time as in move a vertice and crash and when it doesn't I have an obj file so large as to be almost  impossiable to load.

I did manage to save a square once at 38 gig (yes gig)in size for the obj file

I have also had Carrara bloat obj files as well

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.