Fri, Sep 20, 6:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:16 am)

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Xandi ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 5:18 PM

Welllllll.........I found it in my content library.  I also found duplicates of most all my files.  I messed this up royally didn't I?  Should I just delete the directory and then reinstall everything again?

inquire ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 5:19 PM

I started rendering my first file with Callad's new meshlights which are parented to cameras. But, it started rendering as a "postage stamp." I guess this has to do with the cameras on the lights. But, I did turn back to the full-sized camera I was using. What can I do to correct this?

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 5:22 PM

Xandi did you install rhe genesis essentials?

inquire ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 5:29 PM

I can only get that little thumbnail of an image up to 400%, and it's still too small. How do I get the regular camera size to render in Lux, if I'm using the new mesh lights with cameras parented? I tried turning off the cameras, except for the camera I want, in DS before going to  Reality and then exporting to Lux, but that doesn't work.

inquire ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 5:33 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - It changes the ratio which I am not crazy about sorry to be the bummer in the convo...

What does change the ratio Bob?

The lights when I tried applying one it gave like this 1x1 rectangle that left out most of the scene then the seetings remained like that I had to go dig up my ol screen size again

I think that happened because you first loaded one of the lights, than merged your scene. Or, you tried loading one of the lights as 'new scene' thus letting it set the ratio. Possibly schoose 'new scene' then loaded one of your own scene and merged a Easy Pose light after that.

What you should try is this:

Start up DS, load one of you own scenes. Check if the ratio is OK. Then merge an Easy Pose light. Now check again the ratio, it should still be as in your original scene.

Does that help? 

Apparently, something similar happened to bobvan, and Callad responded, but, no, this doesn't seem to be what I did. I did start the scene regularly, and I did use the "merge scene" to introduce Callad's new lights. The camera stayed as it should have in DS. It doesn't get to a really small postage stamp sized window until it begins rendering in Lux. The lights are wonderful, Callad, I just have to figure out how to keep the render size I want.

inquire ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 5:51 PM

I also might note, but I'm not sure if this has to do with my problem or not, that the scene was set, in Reality, to be saved to "C:" something as one of those mesh light files. I'm on a Mac, and so Reality pointed out to me that "C:" etc. does not exist. I changed the location back to /Users/mydirectory/ etc.

Well, maybe that's another issue. It was easily taken care of, but could it possible account for the postage stamp sized render?

Amethst25 ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 8:20 PM · edited Wed, 13 February 2013 at 8:22 PM

[quote inquire]

Apparently, something similar happened to bobvan, and Callad responded, but, no, this doesn't seem to be what I did. I did start the scene regularly, and I did use the "merge scene" to introduce Callad's new lights. The camera stayed as it should have in DS. It doesn't get to a really small postage stamp sized window until it begins rendering in Lux. The lights are wonderful, Callad, I just have to figure out how to keep the render size I want.

I would suggest changing your render setting.

Go to Render>Render Settings> and where you see Preset change the setting to what you want the size of your render to be.

[quote inquire]

I also might note, but I'm not sure if this has to do with my problem or not, that the scene was set, in Reality, to be saved to "C:" something as one of those mesh light files. I'm on a Mac, and so Reality pointed out to me that "C:" etc. does not exist. I changed the location back to /Users/mydirectory/ etc.

Well, maybe that's another issue. It was easily taken care of, but could it possible account for the postage stamp sized render?

[/quote]

No the two are not related.

My Rendo Gallery

My DA Gallery

Xandi ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 10:39 PM

I installed every file I ever had.  Is that why I have duplicates of most of my files?  I thought it was okay to reinstall without deleting the daz files first?  And I'm not sure what the genesis essentials are. 

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 11:41 PM · edited Wed, 13 February 2013 at 11:53 PM

Quote - I installed every file I ever had.  Is that why I have duplicates of most of my files?  I thought it was okay to reinstall without deleting the daz files first?  And I'm not sure what the genesis essentials are. 

They come with it it should be something like genesis starter version 1.11 I get the *&^ duplicate errors too which is why I said it was a bug riddled program.

callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 12:19 AM

Quote - I'm in need of help.  I installed the latest daz version and then used the dim to install all my files.  I did not uninstall the files first.  It now tells me that it cannot find the genesis file.  I see a genesis.duf file, but it's not in a folder.  How can I fix this problem? Did I do something wrong? I don't want to install the lastest version of reality until I'm sure that daz is working properly.

Xandi, you did two things, you updated DS and used the DIM. The update of DS went well I guess. Now whenusing the DIM, did you added the path where your content already was? And did you remove the default path?

Maybe wise to uninstall all content (using the DIM) so the duplicates are gone, then make sure you set the right path in the DIM, then try to install one or two items to see if they aren't duplicated. If not, you can install the rest of your content although that isn't nessecary.

Do reinstall Genesis stuff since I believe that was updated by Daz somewhere along the line..

callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 12:29 AM

Quote - I started rendering my first file with Callad's new meshlights which are parented to cameras. But, it started rendering as a "postage stamp." I guess this has to do with the cameras on the lights. But, I did turn back to the full-sized camera I was using. What can I do to correct this?

The lights are saved as 'scene', so DS also saved the render size which happened to be 91 X 91 which I used for the thumbnails.

When opening a scene file DS also loads the render size again so make sure you open your scene 'as new', then 'merge to scene' the lights. You should be good then.

To check (in case of problems) do this.

Close DS, start DS and load your scene. Check the render size in settings (menu: Render > Render settings). Now 'merge to scene' a light from my set. Now again check the render settings. Size still OK or have they changed to 91 X 91 again? If so re-adjust to the original size your scene had. Call Reality and check the size in the Output tab.

Does this help?

callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 12:36 AM

Quote - I also might note, but I'm not sure if this has to do with my problem or not, that the scene was set, in Reality, to be saved to "C:" something as one of those mesh light files. I'm on a Mac, and so Reality pointed out to me that "C:" etc. does not exist. I changed the location back to /Users/mydirectory/ etc.

Yes, the output path is also saved to the 'light scene' I created. With a freshly started DS, then first opening your own scene, then merging one of my lights it should keep 'your' path though.

Now you are on a Mac. I have no clue if DS on Mac behaves differently from Windows. Both problems should be solved by manually adjusting path and render size, but I must agree that is a pain in the ..uhm.. 'bum' to have to do that every time..

Xandi ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 1:08 AM

After reading your helpful suggestions I went and looked at my files one last time before I uninstalled everything and I found that I have two types of files for a lot of the entries.  Like this;

Michael 5.dsf

Michael 5.duf

Troll.dsf

Troll.duf

Does anyone know why this is?  dsf was the daz 4 format, wasn't I?  Is duf

the daz 4.5?

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 9:21 AM

Haven't posted a render for a few days; so, decided to add my latest attempt to the thread.  Did a bit of post-work on this attempting to capture a classic pinup look to the color of the render w/o using a one-click-fits-all filter.  Basically saved a copy of my full color render, then switched the film type to a b&w type and then saved that.  Added the b&w copy as a layer over the color and then reduced its opacity to about 40 or 50%.  Flattened that and then added just a touch of diffusion to it and voila.

callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 11:15 AM

Quote - After reading your helpful suggestions I went and looked at my files one last time before I uninstalled everything and I found that I have two types of files for a lot of the entries.  Like this;

Michael 5.dsf

Michael 5.duf

Troll.dsf

Troll.duf

Does anyone know why this is?  dsf was the daz 4 format, wasn't I?  Is duf

the daz 4.5?

Yes Xandi, .duf is the new format. I would not worry finding both files in the same folder. There might even be a third format that is used by Poser called Pz2 I think.

BradHP ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 12:10 PM · edited Thu, 14 February 2013 at 12:11 PM

I've been doing a lot more learning than producing lately, so I jumped back on Daz to feel some accomplishment.  For such a simple program, it's hard to get back into after using another program. 

callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 12:13 PM

That is an awsome idea Brad! It took me a few seconds to 'grasp' what it was I am seeing here :)

john3d ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 1:49 PM

Very clever Brad, it looks great full screen.

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 2:09 PM

Attached Link: http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/338-354236283

file_491623.jpg

Cool render sometimes the pain sky can make a good beckdrop

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 2:10 PM
bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 2:11 PM
callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 2:43 PM

Nice series Bob! :)

UHF ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 2:43 PM

file_491629.jpg

So... here's "**Taking Cammie For A Ride**" finished.

http://fluffybush.deviantart.com/art/Taking-Cammie-For-A-Ride-354279511

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2413427

callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 3:30 PM

Very nice UHF! Great scene and lighting!

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 3:43 PM · edited Thu, 14 February 2013 at 3:43 PM

Quote - Very nice UHF! Great scene and lighting!

Thanks & I agree an he has more nice stuff on his page

inquire ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 4:17 PM · edited Thu, 14 February 2013 at 4:22 PM

Hi, Callad: OK, I've been trying out your lights on the Macintosh: Superb! I really love them, especially the way I can look through a camera and see where the mesh light, or curved light, spot light, whatever is pointing.

I tried going to the Render Settings and adjusting the render size from 91x91 to "Active Viewport." Well, that drove Lux nutty. It seemed to think the size went from 91x91 to Infinite. I couldn't even get a render started.

So, then I saved the scene as a Scene Subset, leaving out the lights. Then, I started up a new scene. Then merged the scene subset into it. I still had no lights. Then, I merged, one by one, three of your lights into the scene, a curved, a mesh spot, and a mesh.

Lux picks that up very nicely. Thank you a million for making Reality and Lux so much easier (for me, at least) to use.

callad ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 4:41 PM

Glad you got it working Inquire! Now spoil us with a beautiful 'Easy Pose' render! wink :)

UHF ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 10:24 AM

So... Stonemason called my last two renders 'cute' with the little CamBots.

This is my retort;

Not So Cute Anymore

This was rendered in Lux via reality. No post work.

Full desktop size is available here; http://fluffybush.deviantart.com/

mustang2011 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 7:03 PM

file_491657.jpg

I need some help please!

I'm working with stonemason's Winter Kingdom and I can't figure out how to get the snow to come out the same in Reality as I get in Daz.

The picture on the left is done with Reality and the one on the right was rendered with 3Delight.

It has two diffuse textures (Snow and rock map) listed in Daz along with a snow blend selection.

How do I get the snow and rock to blend together in Reality? I tried the alpha channel and I can't get it come out right.

Does anyone know how I can do this so I get the same type of results in Reality as I do with 3Delight?

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 7:19 PM

two diffuse maps?  sounds like a job for MLIE to me

mustang2011 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 7:33 PM

Quote - two diffuse maps?  sounds like a job for MLIE to me

Leave it to stonemason to come up with two diffuse maps for one thing.

I am working on a graphic novel and that is perfect for some of the scenes I am going to do. I hate to have to do it in Daz I really want to use Reality.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 7:37 PM

MLIE turns multiple diffuse maps into one map.. paolo might be able to say for certain but there's no reason it wouldn't work with reality.. i've used the Inked products in reality and they are completely dependant on MLIE

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 8:41 PM

Mustang, that set doesn't use standard Studio shaders, it uses 3Delight scrited shaders. They can't be converted, they inly work with 3Delight.

Paolo

https://www.preta3d.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
Tw: @preta3d
G+: https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119
The Reality Gallery: https://reality-plug-in.deviantart.com

mustang2011 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 9:23 PM

Quote - Mustang, that set doesn't use standard Studio shaders, it uses 3Delight scrited shaders. They can't be converted, they inly work with 3Delight.

That's a real shame....I wanted to do those scenes with Reality but at least I can do the others with Reality.

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 11:30 PM

The Reality one actually looks like snow

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

swordman10 ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 12:57 AM

Quote - The Reality one actually looks like snow

Agreed,

I actually think the LuxRender one looks much better.!!.

S.K.

MBusch ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 1:27 AM

Quote - > Quote - The Reality one actually looks like snow

Agreed,

I actually think the LuxRender one looks much better.!!.

S.K.

It is my opnion too. In Lux render I see the snow more realistic than in 3Delight render.

MarieAntoinette ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 5:24 AM

Concerning the easypose meshlights by callad: Uncompressing the duf scene files and deleting the section with 3DL render settings at the end in a text editor seems to get rid of any problems with it overwriting output image size with a 91x91 value in certain workflows.

callad ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 6:24 AM

Quote - Concerning the easypose meshlights by callad: Uncompressing the duf scene files and deleting the section with 3DL render settings at the end in a text editor seems to get rid of any problems with it overwriting output image size with a 91x91 value in certain workflows.

Thank you! That is very useful information!

I tried to open the duf files in an editor seeing nothing but jibberish. Never though of the fact they were compressed!

Will make an update for the set with edited files. ..and this message comes just in time for my new project I am working on: Reality light Projectors. :)

Here is a little example so you can see what a projector can do.

promo

Reggie68 ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 7:31 AM

Another test of the Vascularity Maps for V4/M4.

FyraNyanser ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 7:57 AM

Quote - > Quote - Concerning the easypose meshlights by callad: Uncompressing the duf scene files and deleting the section with 3DL render settings at the end in a text editor seems to get rid of any problems with it overwriting output image size with a 91x91 value in certain workflows.

I tried to open the duf files in an editor seeing nothing but jibberish. Never though of the fact they were compressed!

Will make an update for the set with edited files. ..and this message comes just in time for my new project I am working on: Reality light Projectors. :)

This is going to be amazing. Just the sort of effect I've been wanting to use, but I'm too lazy/befuddled to work out how to do. Thanks so much for your Easy Pose Lights. Positioning and testing meshlights is one thing I almost dread doing as it's so fiddly, and you are more or less doing it "blind".

By the way, compressed .duf files (and others) can be batch decompressed within Studio 4.5 from Main Menu Bar > Window > Panes (Tabs) > Batch Convert. Navigate to the folder and select all the files you want to decompress (or Add Directory) and it does it in seconds. The compressed files are replaced, so you might want to be sure you have backups, just in case.

callad ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 8:36 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Concerning the easypose meshlights by callad: Uncompressing the duf scene files and deleting the section with 3DL render settings at the end in a text editor seems to get rid of any problems with it overwriting output image size with a 91x91 value in certain workflows.

This is going to be amazing. Just the sort of effect I've been wanting to use, but I'm too lazy/befuddled to work out how to do. Thanks so much for your Easy Pose Lights. Positioning and testing meshlights is one thing I almost dread doing as it's so fiddly, and you are more or less doing it "blind".

By the way, compressed .duf files (and others) can be batch decompressed within Studio 4.5 from Main Menu Bar > Window > Panes (Tabs) > Batch Convert. Navigate to the folder and select all the files you want to decompress (or Add Directory) and it does it in seconds. The compressed files are replaced, so you might want to be sure you have backups, just in case.

Thank you! That worked like a dream! (made a back-up but won't need it) So now I'm updating all .duf files. I also need to rework the guide, since the problems with 'not merging' are gone now!

See! This is why I just love all you folks! You are so supportive and helpful! hugs :)

mbin ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 8:55 AM · edited Sat, 16 February 2013 at 8:57 AM

Finally caught up again... seeing Callad's 'projector' reminded me of some examples of using transparancy maps with mesh lights that I posted over on D.A. Although they were originally meant to illustrate how to simulate beams of light using the fog prop, and an alpha map of the leaves and branches of a tree, I thought I might post it here, as I'm guessing that once Callad has released her projectors, they may be possible to use them in a similar way?

@Callad if this is the case, maybe you could add some appropriate alpha maps to the set you produce? ...or is it possible to add some colour versions as texture maps, for a 'stained glass window' type effect? ( http://fav.me/d4xnsra ) It would be really great if what you are doing could also be used like this?

The links will provide some further text and also additional links. The alpha map linked to was originally made by Kenneth Rowe, and there was some examples on the old Reality thread on the old Daz site forums... (this is in daz3A, but the principles should be the same!) (Link to additional info http://fav.me/d4jvkiw includes links to the alpha map etc)

Method of applying an alpha map to the plane and parent to a spotlight... (link to original post http://fav.me/d595fu3 )

I will try and get some of the info from the old forum thread and post them on http://preta3d.com/forum/ as requested by Amethst25, but may take a while for me to sort out what is worth posting there! `¬)

MyDeviantArtGallery

Amethst25 ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 9:56 AM

[quote mbin]

Finally caught up again... seeing Callad's 'projector' reminded me of some examples of using transparancy maps with mesh lights that I posted over on D.A. Although they were originally meant to illustrate how to simulate beams of light using the fog prop, and an alpha map of the leaves and branches of a tree, I thought I might post it here, as I'm guessing that once Callad has released her projectors, they may be possible to use them in a similar way?

@Callad if this is the case, maybe you could add some appropriate alpha maps to the set you produce? ...or is it possible to add some colour versions as texture maps, for a 'stained glass window' type effect? ( http://fav.me/d4xnsra ) It would be really great if what you are doing could also be used like this?

The links will provide some further text and also additional links. The alpha map linked to was originally made by Kenneth Rowe, and there was some examples on the old Reality thread on the old Daz site forums... (this is in daz3A, but the principles should be the same!) (Link to additional info http://fav.me/d4jvkiw includes links to the alpha map etc)

Method of applying an alpha map to the plane and parent to a spotlight... (link to original post http://fav.me/d595fu3 )

I will try and get some of the info from the old forum thread and post them on http://preta3d.com/forum/ as requested by Amethst25, but may take a while for me to sort out what is worth posting there! `¬)

That would be awesome mbin,  I know when I want to find specific information about how to do something if it's posted on Paolo's forum we will always be able to find it. It's just a shame that Daz removed the Reality thread and all that wonderful information is now gone.

My Rendo Gallery

My DA Gallery

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 10:06 AM

Just a heads-up about the forums. The Pret-a-3D forums are going to be transferred to RuntimeDNA. They graciously agreed to provide hosting for the whole Reality series. As youmight  know the R34P forums are already hosted there and I think that DNAs forum system is superior to what I use on our website. It also made no sense to have two locations for the official forums. So, the new Reality official forums are now at DNA. I will post the link soon but you can easily find them there is you go to the forurm area.

The plan is to set the old forum as read-only today and to provide a page where you will be able to click to go to the new forum or read the old ones. This will go on for probably a month. After that period the forums link at preta3d.com will redirect to the new forums.

If you have new content the new forums is where that should go.

Thanks.

Paolo

https://www.preta3d.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
Tw: @preta3d
G+: https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119
The Reality Gallery: https://reality-plug-in.deviantart.com

UHF ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 10:28 AM

Quote - > Quote - Mustang, that set doesn't use standard Studio shaders, it uses 3Delight scrited shaders. They can't be converted, they inly work with 3Delight.

That's a real shame....I wanted to do those scenes with Reality but at least I can do the others with Reality.

Contact Stonemason.  He's uses Reality. The only idea that came to my mind was to use the snow with a transparency map based on the gap lines, then place a copy of the ground just underneath and give that the lava rock colour map.  That would be direction dependant...

callad ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 10:56 AM

Quote - Finally caught up again... seeing Callad's 'projector' reminded me of some examples of using transparancy maps with mesh lights that I posted over on D.A. Although they were originally meant to illustrate how to simulate beams of light using the fog prop, and an alpha map of the leaves and branches of a tree, I thought I might post it here, as I'm guessing that once Callad has released her projectors, they may be possible to use them in a similar way?

Well, they aren't intended to use that way but I suppose they could be used for that, though not in an ideal way.

Will add the feature for fog in another project. I was already thinking about another set with Easy Pose Gels, so you could create colored light patterns.

First I must update my Easy Pose System for Meshlights so the merging and ratio problem will not occur anymore. Then I must update my Projector set, have it tested and uploaded, then it's time for new things. :)  

(apart from that I have to do the laundry, clean the house and cook dinner..) 

mbin ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 11:06 AM

Thanks for the info Poalo, I'll see if I can sort out some things from my saved info that will be worth posting on the runtime dna link when you post it! `¬)

Callad; it was just a thought... `¬) and yes, I really must get my dinner on, and yes the washing machine has been blinking for the last hour or so, trying to tell me its finished its load! ...looking forward to some new things! ...I might even see if I've got time to do a render of my own... seems to have been awhile! ...oh well!

MyDeviantArtGallery

mbin ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote - That would be awesome mbin,  I know when I want to find specific information about how to do something if it's posted on Paolo's forum we will always be able to find it. It's just a shame that Daz removed the Reality thread and all that wonderful information is now gone.

...I hasten to add these are things from the old daz site forums and not the recent forum on their new updated site.

Has the 'archieved' forums also become un-accessable? (I can't remember what the change to the address was to get to them... although the images not showing up was a pain anyway!)

MyDeviantArtGallery

bobvan ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 11:32 AM · edited Sat, 16 February 2013 at 11:36 AM

Is the board at RDNA going to be hoarded by poser users? Just saying this due to the fact that the concerns / tips will be quite different from us DS users. For examples some of us don't always get an immidiate reponse to an issue.  I can see a DS concern being posted followed by a poser one then 25 posts in reply there goes the DS concern...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.