Tue, Oct 22, 10:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: omg, Blender impossible. >.< trying to make .5 inch slabs for poser

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 10:37 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 9:59 AM

file_502435.JPG

can't figure how to close and open tabs.

cant figure how to select more than one vert at a time.

cant find unit of measure preference.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 10:42 AM
Online Now!

You could try to make them directly IN Poser by scaling a box. No need to go to blender for that.

~Shane

timarender ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 10:53 AM

Instruction "5" may help.

http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/5631/how-to-close-view-windows

geep ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 10:55 AM · edited Thu, 06 March 2014 at 10:56 AM

Attached Link: Dr Geep's Magic Box Tutorial

file_502436.gif

*(click the image to view full size)* *(click the Attached Link: to view the tutorial)*

You can just use my "Magic Box"* to make almost anything you want using Poser.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

• or use Poser's Box prop

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:00 AM

I agee with the above.  No need for Blender, or any other modelling application, just to make a rectangle.  You can do it right in Poser very quick and easily, to proper scale.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:05 AM
Online Now!

You can also group multiple polys together, position them so they align with each other correctly, export with weld enabled, and bring back in as one object. The grouping tool is a great thing. 

~Shane

charlie43 ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:10 AM

Blender can be a real pain to learn - it is not always as intuitive as we would like it to be. One of the best series I have ever found for Blender is at the Blender 3D Design Course, taught by Neal Hirsig. I learned more from this course in a few weeks than I have learned in the several years I have been attempting to learn Blender. I was a Citizen at CGCookie.com for about a year, and really struggled with Blender because the instructors there spoke too fast and with an accent hard to understand, and would often not explain what they were doing. Ditto with Blenderguru.com. It was a very frustrating experience, and I dropped my subscription last year. Hirsig's tutorials are excellent - he speaks in a very controlled, concise tone, and is an excellent teacher. I would recommend this series to anyone attempting to unravel the mysteries of Blender. Even though I can easily afford Lightwave or Maya or 3DS Max, I prefer Blender over all others because it is open source and has the support of as very vibrant and responsive community. Check out Hirsig's courses at http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html. 

HTH

C~

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:28 AM

thanks everyone :)

i'm making an IC-Leaker-test-house.

Following BB's experiments. (IDL Arch thread) as homework.

Didn't realize til i tried how hard it is to make slabs exactly .5 inch

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:38 AM

trying to make 2 walls .5" thick, spaced 10 feet apart.
1 back wall .5"thick 8 feet back,
.5"Ceiling 10 feet above .5"floor.

but, once i start scaling walls in poser, how would i measure in inches?

Hi Dr. Geep.  is there a magic inch ruler .obj for Wings?  pretty pleez?   Thanks.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:39 AM

Quote - Instruction "5" may help.

http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/5631/how-to-close-view-windows

thanks!

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:41 AM

Quote - thanks everyone :)

i'm making an IC-Leaker-test-house.

Following BB's experiments. (IDL Arch thread) as homework.

Didn't realize til i tried how hard it is to make slabs exactly .5 inch

It only seems hard, because it's the first time you're trying to do it, and the tools you're using aren't known for modelling things in real world scale.  Should be simple just to bring in Geep's measure tool prop, and scale the box prop to it.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 12:39 PM

0.5-inch walls on 10-foot room not advisable.  architectural requirements dictate minimum 5-inch thickness, depending on jurisdiction.

charlie43 ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 1:25 PM

Blender can measure in both its default setting (Blender units) and both metric and Imperial. You make this setting in the "scene" tab in the function settings in the right hand panel (where materials/textures/modifiers are located. In the 3d viewport, if you punch in the "n" key, it brings up properties, which will give you actual measurements in these different modes. it is good practice to never scale or rotate in object mode, but do so in edit mode. Doing so in object mode wiill throw scale and rotation off and your measurements will not be accurate. By scrolling the mouse wheel in the 3d viewport while in ortho mode, you can watch in the upper left as measurements change from inches to feet to yards. Each square is a unit of measurement. Easy peasey lemon squeezy. Give it a try...

HTH

C~

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 2:03 PM

Quote - trying to make 2 walls .5" thick, spaced 10 feet apart.

but, once i start scaling walls in poser, how would i measure in inches?

Hi Dr. Geep.  is there a magic inch ruler .obj for Wings?  pretty pleez?   Thanks.

If you are going to do it in Poser, go to Edit/General Preferences/Interface and you will see under Dislay a drop down menu labelled 'Units". Click on it and select 'inches'. Then 1 Poser unit will equal 1 inch.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

geep ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 3:30 PM

What size walls do you want?

L x W x H ?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 5:23 PM · edited Thu, 06 March 2014 at 5:25 PM

file_502442.jpg

* (click image to view full size)*

FYI for Wings 3D scaling data.

I will be posting a 9 Foot Scale prop in .obj format for use in Wings3D on my website.

Please stay tuned.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 5:39 PM

in re: modelling slabs in poser to specific sizes in desired units, would script for this be of general interest?

geep ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 5:55 PM · edited Thu, 06 March 2014 at 5:56 PM

Attached Link: FREE 9 Foot Scale Prop in .obj format for use in Poser and Wings3D

Here is a **[FREE 9 Foot Scale Prop](http://www.drgeep.com/FreeProps/9FootScalePropObject.zip "FREE 9 Foot Scale Prop in Object Format")** in .obj format available as a 66.4KB zip file from Dr Geep Studios.

Measure object/props down to 1/10 inch.

Questions are ALWAYS welcome. 😄

It can be used in Poser and Wings3D.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 3:23 AM

file_502452.gif

(click image to view full size)

We will be using Poser 10 ... Is that OK?

Note - Dr Geep's Scale (DGS) works properly in all versions of Poser.*

*using "Poser native units" (Pnu)

Set Pnu's  in [menu] "Edit" >>> "General Preferences" >>> "Interface" (tab)

Ready to get started?

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 3:37 AM · edited Fri, 07 March 2014 at 3:38 AM

file_502453.gif

*(click image to full full size)*

***Here is a chart showing how DGS is used.

You may want to print out a copy for handy reference.***

*Now ...

Let's make 2 walls .5" thick, spaced 10 feet apart.

Let's load a box prop and adjust the size ...

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 4:21 AM · edited Fri, 07 March 2014 at 4:34 AM

file_502454.gif

Make the wall 0.5" thick. ... xScale = 5%

Move the wall 5' to the left. ... xTran = -0.60

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 4:53 AM

file_502455.gif

Make the wall 10 feet high. ... yScale = 1200%

Make the wall 8 feet deep. ... zScale = 960%

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 5:22 AM · edited Fri, 07 March 2014 at 5:23 AM

file_502456.gif

Duplicate "wall_Left" using the Grouping Tool to create "wall_Right" and ...

Move it 120" (10') to the right ... xTran = 1.20

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 6:02 AM

file_502459.gif

Make the "Floor" using a new "Box" prop ...

Load the "Box" and ... change it's name to "Floor" ... then ...

Change xScale to 1200% ... makes it 120" or 10' wide

Change yScale to 5% ... makes it 0.5" thick

Change zScale to 960% ... makes it 96" or 8' deep

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 6:32 AM

file_502460.gif

Use the Grouping Tool to duplicate the "Floor" and create the "Ceiling"

With the "Ceiling" selected ...

Change yTran to 1.20 to raise the "Ceiling" up 120" or 10'

Note that the "Ceiling" will sit exactly on top of the walls.

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 8:00 AM

file_502466.gif

Last but not least, let's make the back wall ...

Load a new "Box" prop and ...

Change xScale to 1200% to
make it 120" or 10' wide ...

Change yScale to 1200% to
make it 120" or 10' high ...

Change zScale to 5% to
make it 0.5" thick

Change zTran to -0.480 to
move it back 48" or 4'

This completes the basic "Room"

What else do we need to do ? :unsure:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 11:53 AM · edited Fri, 07 March 2014 at 11:57 AM

Thank you everybody!

Thank you Dr.Geep!

the other thread says the poser floor shouild be a slab.

i'll make a new poser floor, scaled 150% to make the edge lines a ft apart.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 12:12 PM · edited Fri, 07 March 2014 at 12:13 PM

file_502470.gif

> Quote - *Thank you everybody!* > *Thank you Dr.Geep!* > > *the other thread says the poser floor shouild be a slab. > i'll make a new poser floor, scaled 150% to make the edges a ft apart.*

My pleasure. 😄 ..................... " ... other thread ... " ???

BTW, do you mean Poser's "GROUND?" (not Floor as in [menu] "Figure" >>> "Drop To Floor")
(See the detail view on Page 5)*

Poser's "GROUND" (prop) is NOT the same as Poser's (Drop to) "Floor."

*** Poser's GROUND is actually 1/10"  below Poser's "FLOOR."
Homework >>> (Can you find out how you can prove this is true? :huh:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

heddheld ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 2:26 PM

@misty blender is a pain to learn

to if you do its a lot of fun

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 2:57 PM

yeah, my vote would be to follow geep's tutes.  they're way easier than modelling apps and alotta fun to read.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 7:14 PM
geep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 9:02 PM

Interesting, thanks Misty.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Sat, 08 March 2014 at 8:43 AM

file_502501.gif

We're not quite done ... yet. 😄

Let's see what we can do with our "Room."

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 1:18 PM

for uvmapping the slabs

is it better to use 512, 1024, 2048?

i usually lean to the 2048, but i have no basis for choosing.

one nice thing about the brick procedural, ya know when something is uvmapped.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 3:11 PM · edited Wed, 12 March 2014 at 3:18 PM

Slabs? :huh:

UVMapping ? - Use the one that looks the best (to you). 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 3:27 PM

WHen it comes to texture size, I agree to use whatever size you think will look best, and hold up under scrutiny.  As a general rule of thumb, the more resolution the texture map has, the better it will look, depending on how good your UV's are to begin with.  512x512 is used mostly for games, where texture limits for real time rendering need to be considered.  4000x4000 is usually very detailed, and good for most close-up high resolution still image renders, but I've seen important texture maps that were as high as 8000x8000 used for rendering close up shots of hero objects in HD video.  2048x2048 seems to be that happy medium between quality and general useability for most props.

heddheld ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2014 at 6:35 PM

ha the beauty of cycles ;)

change the uv an watch it render in (well depends on gpu!! but if you get used to it? anything else is a pain )

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2014 at 7:07 PM

Quote - ha the beauty of cycles ;) change the uv an watch it render in (well depends on gpu!! but if you get used to it? anything else is a pain )

Nothing like Progressive Refinement rendering.  VrayRT, Luxrender, Octane, iRay, and several others as well.  It's the future of rendering, and soon people will wonder how anyone wasted countless hours running "test" renders with traditional render techniques.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 09 April 2014 at 10:25 AM

dohhh, was so excited to see vray for blender. http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray-blender

but it says it requires the vray standalone which has all kinds of limitations, like watermarks.  >.<

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 09 April 2014 at 11:11 AM

Quote - dohhh, was so excited to see vray for blender. http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray-blender

but it says it requires the vray standalone which has all kinds of limitations, like watermarks.  >.<

Yeah, the DEMO will have watermarks and limitations, of course.  However, if you purchase the standalone, those go away.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Wed, 09 April 2014 at 5:56 PM

Hey Doc I am very thankful for the making a simple room in Poser tute you did for me a few years back. This thread bgrings back a lot of memories.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 09 April 2014 at 10:42 PM · edited Wed, 09 April 2014 at 10:49 PM

MLP: Why are you trying to assemble the test slabs? I posted a link in that other thread to the prop I made - you can just get it.

It has morph dials for depth, width, height, and thickness. Even if you manage to assemble the parts, you'd have a lot of work to do when trying different thicknesses. With my prop, you just spin a dial and all the walls morph at the same time. The morph dial is calibrated in inches, so you can dial it exactly.

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/file-cabinet/ICLeakTester.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

I did not build this by hand as you're doing - that would be incredibly tedious. I did it procedurally with a script.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2014 at 8:02 AM

Quote - Yeah, the DEMO will have watermarks and limitations, of course.  However, if you purchase the standalone, those go away.

eek gads

Quote - V-Ray Standalone is a product which allows you to render without having any 3d platform installed. ... VRay Standalone : Our price: $ 490.00 Options

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2014 at 8:10 AM

Quote - MLP: Why are you trying to assemble the test slabs? I posted a link in that other thread to the prop I made - you can just get it.

It has morph dials for depth, width, height, and thickness. Even if you manage to assemble the parts, you'd have a lot of work to do when trying different thicknesses. With my prop, you just spin a dial and all the walls morph at the same time. The morph dial is calibrated in inches, so you can dial it exactly.

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/file-cabinet/ICLeakTester.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

I did not build this by hand as you're doing - that would be incredibly tedious. I did it procedurally with a script.

megalithic tedious, lol.  after learning how hard it is to do real world measures with my current toolset, had to learn a way to do it. 

sidetracked by high sugar woes.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2014 at 8:43 AM

Quote - eek gads > Quote - V-Ray Standalone is a product which allows you to render without having any 3d platform installed. ... VRay Standalone : Our price: $ 490.00 Options

Misty, that's actually a very fair price for what you are getting.  Consider this is Vray, not some experimental, unproven renderer.  Vray has solidified its place over the years as the #1 professional production raytrace render engine.  It's being used to create some of the world's most stunning VFX, by the world's most prolific CG studios.  I think more high-end studios are using Vray now than any other render engine, especially for the most difficult, demanding photoreal shots for compositing to film.  The arch/viz industry depends on it almost exclusively for the most realistic interior design and architectural renders.

$500 is a steal for this technology.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2014 at 12:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - eek gads > Quote - V-Ray Standalone is a product which allows you to render without having any 3d platform installed. ... VRay Standalone : Our price: $ 490.00 Options

Misty, that's actually a very fair price for what you are getting.  Consider this is Vray, not some experimental, unproven renderer.  Vray has solidified its place over the years as the #1 professional production raytrace render engine.  It's being used to create some of the world's most stunning VFX, by the world's most prolific CG studios.  I think more high-end studios are using Vray now than any other render engine, especially for the most difficult, demanding photoreal shots for compositing to film.  The arch/viz industry depends on it almost exclusively for the most realistic interior design and architectural renders.

$500 is a steal for this technology.

i do love me some vray renders. :)  my jaw hits the table sometimes, looking at them. ouch

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2014 at 2:22 PM

it would be great to see yer script, bill!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2014 at 8:21 PM

I don't want to post the entire BB "geomatic" geometry library, as it is 1) a lot of code and 2) intellectual property I wish to exploit some day.

However, if you're just curious to see how I go about the specifics of a prop like this, here it is:

def ICLeakTester(morph = None):
        morphs = [
                ('Thickness', 0),
                ('Width', 0),
                ('Depth', 0),
                ('Height', 0),
                ('Extra Floor', 1),
                ('Explode', 1),
        ]
        if morph == '?':
                return morphs

th = .0001 * inch
        w = 8 * feet
        h = 8 * feet
        d = 8 * feet
        if morph == 'Width':
                w = 9 * feet
        if morph == 'Height':
                h = 9 * feet
        if morph == 'Depth':
                d = 9 * feet
        if morph == 'Thickness':
                th = 2 * inch
        xpl = 1 * inch if morph == 'Explode' else 0
        mpl = PolyList()
        def slab(w, h, th):
                pl = PolyList()
                qb = QuadBuilder(0, w, 0, h, 0)
                pl << qb.quad().flip() << qb.extrude(0, 0, th) << qb.quad()
                return pl
        back = slab(w, h, th) << Trans(0, xpl, -xpl)
        left = slab(d, h, th) << YRot(90) << Trans(-xpl, xpl, d)
        right = left >> Trans(w - th + 2 * xpl, 0, 0)
        top = slab(w, d, th) << XRot(90)  << Trans(0, h + 2 * xpl, 0)
        xf = 1 * feet if morph == 'Extra Floor' else 0
        bottom = slab(w + 2 * xf, d + 2 * xf, th) << Trans(-xf, -xf, 0) << XRot(90)
        mpl << back << left << right << bottom << top
        mpl << Trans(-w/2, 0, -d/2)
        return mpl

prop = Morphing(ICLeakTester, "ICLeakTester")

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2014 at 1:19 PM

it's impressive!  in addition to the above, does geomatic allow generation of regular and truncated polyhedra, organic shapes, metaballs, extruded path shapes et al.?  I can see how customers might want this for architectural applications, e.g. putting poser characters in rooms.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 13 April 2014 at 8:59 AM

Quote - it's impressive!  in addition to the above, does geomatic allow generation of regular and truncated polyhedra, organic shapes, metaballs, extruded path shapes et al.?

Hmm. I have not bothered making the functions you mentioned, except for extruded path shapes. I have no experience with metaballs but I've heard of them.

For extrusion, I have functions that can project a polygon along a polyline, and I can generate that polyline from any continuous math function. As well, I can modulate the extruded polygon as it traverses the path. This can make some interesting objects.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 13 April 2014 at 9:04 AM · edited Sun, 13 April 2014 at 9:06 AM

I also like bending existing objects to fit a curve. In 2009 I showed the construction of a hinge, starting with a flat piece. I called that function "rollExtrusion".

I got stumped on the next function needed, which would be to cut beveled round holes for screws in the plates. I'm revisiting that now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.