Thu, Sep 19, 6:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:58 pm)

Subject: New Poser Wishlist

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 6:30 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2019 at 6:31 PM

Checking in on the wishlist thread... Three pages of chaos. What we need right now is a wishwiki. We had a nice wishlist thread back on the "official" RDNA forums. Now they are gone, and seemingly that wishlist also. Nearly everything on that wishlist could still be on this one... Basic things like syncing the library and file requestor (last saved items in the list are not the same as those saved to the library - no thumbnail updates when saving via menu), fixing the hierarchy (so it defaults to collapsed, remembers last state etc. etc.), better hardware preview/PBR materials, hybrid "intelligent" conforming clothing that always covers the underlying mesh... The reason there is no coherent wishlist here to read is because we've done them before. They get lost, there's no way to vote things up or down, no easy way to reach a consensus on how to change something even when we all agree it is broken. But even if every item on our wishlists from five or more years ago is still relevant (most all probably still are, especially the UI/UX ones) the market has changed. I plan to buy the next upgrade, if it has anything at all I have already asked for and is reasonably priced and doesn't become a service or subscription of some kind. After that I cannot say because it is not clear to me where Poser will go from here. Is Poser always going to be playing catch-up to Daz? Will iClone become increasingly appealing as Poser's animation tools and viewport fall further behind? Personally, I'm really wishing there were more programs that could import or host Poser scenes like there were a few years ago. Would be great if I could drop my Poser figures directly into Flowscape or blender for example. But before that happens there are a few dozen things I'd like to see addressed and I think we all know what they are.

unrealblue ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 4:26 PM

Blender 2.8 bridge. To go quickly and easily back and forth to/from blender's sculpt... way cool! I'd like to see the Affinity tools (Photo and Designer) bridge to blender and Poser.

It would be nice to be able to hide bits of the GUI that aren't used so people could streamline the appearance. Heaps of people don't use dynamic hair, face room, cloth, animation tools, etc. Don't take those features out. Some people like them and use Poser because of them. Don't stop developing them. Most of them need some development love. But let users define their workspace in line with what they're doing. Say, a preference page "wall of checkboxes" for GUI elements. With maybe an ability to define presets like "For Content Creation","For Animators", "User defined and named". Maybe even JSON file import/export those settings so people could post/swap theirs.

Along those lines, please use something more industry standard (optionally) for key combinations and mouse controls. Blender has shown the way. :)

Oh, and I think the Poser/Rendo+HW relationship has a lot of potential and looks pretty good out of the gate.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 6:13 PM

thoennes posted at 7:11PM Wed, 02 October 2019 - #4365451

Blender 2.8 bridge. To go quickly and easily back and forth to/from blender's sculpt... way cool! I'd like to see the Affinity tools (Photo and Designer) bridge to blender and Poser.

It would be nice to be able to hide bits of the GUI that aren't used so people could streamline the appearance. Heaps of people don't use dynamic hair, face room, cloth, animation tools, etc. Don't take those features out. Some people like them and use Poser because of them. Don't stop developing them. Most of them need some development love. But let users define their workspace in line with what they're doing. Say, a preference page "wall of checkboxes" for GUI elements. With maybe an ability to define presets like "For Content Creation","For Animators", "User defined and named". Maybe even JSON file import/export those settings so people could post/swap theirs.

Along those lines, please use something more industry standard (optionally) for key combinations and mouse controls. Blender has shown the way. :)

Oh, and I think the Poser/Rendo+HW relationship has a lot of potential and looks pretty good out of the gate.

I'll say it again. Poser's development cycle is too long, particularly for Blender. By the time a bridge is developed, Blender will probably be coming out with 2.9

unrealblue ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 9:23 PM

EClark1894 posted at 12:15PM Thu, 03 October 2019 - #4365481

Longer than Blender? Blender 2.8 seemed to take foreeeeeeeeeeever. But it's quite the release. I don't know how stable their API is, though. A cintiq in sculpture mode is just plan fun :)

I think (hope) Bondware will move Poser (let's say: forward) a lot faster/more than SM ever did. To this day, SM owning Poser doesn't make sense to me. Moot now. Yay!

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 4:35 AM

Blender certainly does come up a bit here. The Universal Scene Description format that was suggested earlier in this thread does look promising and does not require "tethered integration". Certainly some people have voiced their criticisms at Poser development, but exporting to a file format that other apps (other than blender) could use seems like an ideal solution (albeit one that might take awhile to implement for both the Poser dev team and the dev team of other apps implementing it).

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 7:28 PM

thoennes posted at 8:25PM Thu, 03 October 2019 - #4365451

I agree, I am always accidentally moving to the faceroom and have never once wanted to go there. We should be able to add, delete and change the order of rooms as we see fit. Maybe some day those spots could be available to plug-ins e.g. a VWD room.

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 7:43 PM

EClark1894 posted at 8:29PM Thu, 03 October 2019 - #4365481

I'll say it again. Poser's development cycle is too long, particularly for Blender. By the time a bridge is developed, Blender will probably be coming out with 2.9

Well, there have historically been two types of bridges, right? I seem to recall some programs could host a Poser scene and for others the Poser scene was converted to a native scene. I think most people would want to be able to put blender hair and cloth on their Poser figures and save them as native files and not just as references. At the same time, I think a lot of users would settle for hosting Poser figures in blender though... That would at least give us particles and larger environments.

moogal ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2019 at 6:08 PM

Does anyone happen to have or no a way to bring up the old RDNA wish list? For some reason that's the one which seemed to me had had the most thought put into it and from the most users. There were numerous suggestions, but I only really recall the ones that would have improved my own experience. Anyway, I'm thinking of starting a list since that's what this thread is about. Maybe instead of putting things in the order of how bad we want them or how cool they would be to have we could try to organize them by how hard we think they might be to implement? E.g. having Poser remember image compression when switching between .png and .jpg export would probably be easier to fix than "viewport should be PBR like Eevee but better".

EpiEndless ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 8:58 AM

Low-hanging fruit:

1. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Either start with all branches collapsed, or add a 'Collapse All' button, to save doing it by hand over and over again. Oft-requested feature.
  2. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Add a checkbox to hide IK Chains.
  3. Material Room: add Copy, Paste, Paste All buttons to the UI to replace that silly little top corner arrow menu.

Thanks, Epi

CHK2033 ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 11:24 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2019 at 11:29 AM

EpiEndless posted at 11:20AM Sun, 06 October 2019 - #4366195

Low-hanging fruit:

1. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Either start with all branches collapsed, or add a 'Collapse All' button, to save doing it by hand over and over again. Oft-requested feature.
  2. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Add a checkbox to hide IK Chains.
  3. **Material Room: add Copy, Paste, Paste All buttons to the UI to replace that silly little top corner arrow menu. ** Thanks, Epi

Just right click..you'll see the same. I never use those tiny arrow's for anything, Unless I fucked up and moved a panel by mistake but honestly did not even know those same option (the right click option's) were even there under that tiny ass arrow .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

moogal ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 3:08 PM

CHK2033 posted at 3:54PM Sun, 06 October 2019 - #4366214

Was thinking that we could each edit the list for specificity/clarity...

1. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Should default to all branches collapsed, and have a 'Collapse All' button (to save doing it by hand over and over again). List should remember user re-ordering so that item placement is not forgotten between sessions.
  2. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Add a checkbox or "view" option for IK chains, magnets/deformers, lights, props and figures.
  3. **Material Room: add Copy, Paste, Paste All buttons to the UI to replace that silly little top corner arrow menu.
  4. Remember .jpg/.png choice and compression for image export.
  5. Allow 32-bit images with alpha to be plugged directly into transparency nodes so mask images are not required.
  6. Sync file requestor and library so that files saved to library show up as recent files in menu and files saved by menu have thumbnails added to library.
  7. Fix problem that causes e.g. "Myscene.pz3.pzz" and "Myscene.pzz.pz3" to be written when file compression option is changed. Program should inform user that the file being saved is of other type and give option to overwrite or create new file.

I will have to look at the material room for the silly little arrow referred to above. Offhand I'm not sure I've used it.

EpiEndless ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 4:01 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2019 at 4:05 PM

CHK2033, thanks for the RHClick tip - didn't know that was there. BUT, it doesn't work in the Simple tab. (In the Simple tab, you can copy/paste an entire material without worrying about what nodes are selected.)

The silly little arrow is under this menu - and the arrow is doubly silly ever since they put another silly little arrow right next to it, so it's easy to click on the wrong one!

capture.jpg

EpiEndless ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 4:19 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2019 at 4:26 PM
  1. Material room file selection: include a radio button to force Gamma to 1.0 (for bump map etc), and don't change it when a new texture is loaded.

(I just had to change 10 textures on a model, and for every bump map had to click "Custom Gamma value" and type '1' into the Gamma field even though the original texture was already set to 1.0. Grrr...

I was lucky it was only bump - might have had displacment, normal, tranparency and metallic (as a mask) in there as well. Once is an annoyance - multiple times on multiple materials is a serious hit to productivity.

Epi

moogal ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 7:16 PM

For some reason I can't select the numbers in the list to copy paste. Wish I could - would be easier for everyone to make edits/changes.

1. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Should default to all branches collapsed, and have a 'Collapse All' button (to save doing it by hand over and over again). List should remember user re-ordering so that item placement is not forgotten between sessions.
  2. Too much info in Hierarchy panel. Add a checkbox or "view" option for IK chains, magnets/deformers, lights, props and figures.
  3. **Material Room: add Copy, Paste, Paste All buttons to the UI to replace that silly little top corner arrow menu.
  4. Remember .jpg/.png choice and compression for image export.
  5. Allow 32-bit images with alpha to be plugged directly into transparency nodes so mask images are not required.
  6. Sync file requestor and library so that files saved to library show up as recent files in menu and files saved by menu have thumbnails added to library.
  7. Fix problem that causes e.g. "Myscene.pz3.pzz" and "Myscene.pzz.pz3" to be written when file compression option is changed. Program should inform user that the file being saved is of other type and give option to overwrite or create new file.
  8. Material room file selection: include a radio button to force Gamma to 1.0 (for bump map etc), and don't change it when a new texture is loaded
  9. Selecting a camera from parameter window should switch the viewport to that camera (too easy to change settings for non-selected cameras).

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2019 at 5:03 AM · edited Fri, 11 October 2019 at 5:05 AM

I wish Poser would streamline some of the more complex features in Poser and make them more intuitive for users to use. Like the Cloth Room, the Hair Room and Bullet Physics. It's nice to have these features, but they're either difficult to use or you get bad results so often that people often give up on them before they learn to use them well.

Some of these features have been in Poser for several years, but you rarely see any renders with them in use. You ever wonder why? It's well past time for an update.

moogal ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2019 at 2:48 PM

EClark1894 posted at 3:42PM Fri, 11 October 2019 - #4366714

I wish Poser would streamline some of the more complex features in Poser and make them more intuitive for users to use. Like the Cloth Room, the Hair Room and Bullet Physics. It's nice to have these features, but they're either difficult to use or you get bad results so often that people often give up on them before they learn to use them well.

I've been thinking for a while that the scale that Poser uses actually seems to cause problems throughout the software. For example, I recall tests with IDL (in Firefly) producing blotches/patches and that scaling the scene appeared to reduce their appearance. I wonder if some of the physics related unpredictability might not also be caused by the unusually small scale that Poser uses. It only occurred to me recently that Firefly and Bullet were both integrated into the program and neither were written specifically for Poser.

Neophile ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2019 at 7:31 PM · edited Fri, 11 October 2019 at 7:34 PM

Oops made a boo-boo...thought it was a wishlist for program and dealt only with website enhancement (erasing post to 2016 migrated rdna wishlist thread)

moogal ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2019 at 2:19 PM

Neophile posted at 3:18PM Sat, 12 October 2019 - #4366849

Oops made a boo-boo...thought it was a wishlist for program and dealt only with website enhancement (erasing post to 2016 migrated rdna wishlist thread)

Would that be the same one I asked if anyone had a backup of or link to earlier?

unrealblue ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2019 at 4:59 PM · edited Sat, 12 October 2019 at 5:00 PM

I skipped through some of the thread this when it got bogged down in "DS" and "you don't know squat" kind of ambling...

Apart from micro-displacement in superfly (needed, to be sure) what about simply able to import a morph at a particular subd level???

I mean, Poser can obviously handle that. It's own morph tool does it, as does one of the external bridges (goz?). Being able to export the mesh at a subd into blender (as obj) then sculpt it, and import that sculpt as a morph ONLY at the specific subd.... Would really go a long way to developing detailed clothing. And body morphs

A dev kit. Or a library of donor shapes.

I mean, for clothing. One thing I find about the donor rigs. They work well enough if the target follows the same overall shape. But the farther you are from that shape, the worse the transfer. Of course. Skin tight needs an HD donor that really just matches the surface of the figure. jeans require something that has a little slack. Pants even more slack. Right?

I might be doing it wrong, but I spend the bulk of my time editing JCMs because they aren't really optimal for what I'm making.

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2019 at 1:04 PM

Has someone already mentioned presets for the Cloth Room?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2019 at 1:37 PM

CuriousGeorge posted at 2:33PM Sun, 13 October 2019 - #4366971

AmethystPendant wrote a utility called EZClolth which handles Cloth Presets. EZCloth

And of course, there's Phil C's original Cloth Room Presets: Cloth Room Presets

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2019 at 10:23 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

A new wish, a chance to search for items on the hierarchy menu. If you're doing a busy scene, that can get rather long. Asl search for morph dials in the parameters window

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2019 at 10:01 PM

I was told tonight that 11.2 no longer ships with Wardrobe Wizard and that the reason for this is because PhilC no longer supports it. I happen to love that little python script: thanks to it, my Kyle 1.5 has almost fifty gigs of clothing. Apparently, when I upgraded, it left the python script on mine, because it's still there (thank you, universe), but it did get me to thinking that maybe Bondware could purchase the program from him, update it to include more recent Poser characters like LaFemme and the (hopefully coming soon) Le Homme, make the base program part of the software and sell the individual character files as he has done. Any chance for that?

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

jfbeute ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2019 at 6:37 AM

An improvement I'd like is a few extra questions when creating a duplicate of a figure or object. Currently it makes a duplicate including all its children and parents. What I would like is a question if children should be included (if there are any children, meaning other figures or objects, not components of the actual figure or object being copied), a question if parents should be included (if there is a parent), and a question if the newly created duplicate should inherit the parent (if there is a parent).

At the moment when I create a duplicate I have to remove its parent chain and reparent the duplicate to the original parent. After that I can move or rotate the duplicate as required.

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2019 at 1:27 PM

EClark1894 posted at 1:27PM Tue, 15 October 2019 - #4366973

CuriousGeorge posted at 2:33PM Sun, 13 October 2019 - #4366971

AmethystPendant wrote a utility called EZClolth which handles Cloth Presets. EZCloth

And of course, there's Phil C's original Cloth Room Presets: Cloth Room Presets

EXCELLENT thank you!!

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Tue, 15 October 2019 at 1:30 PM · edited Tue, 15 October 2019 at 1:30 PM

Another wishlist item, integrate OpenImageDenoise into Superfly. I've been playing with it (in Blender) and it does a phenomenal job at very low samples. I've been able to reduce my render times significantly!

Neophile ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 5:52 AM

Probably going to set a few people of with this but I think you are all losing sight of what Poser really is/should be.

I got my first Poser program free with the purchase of a graphics card. I had been interested in this form of art but all the programs I looked at were too bloody expensive. Curious Labs Poser 6 was fascinating for me. I did not understand that obj/3ds/fbx etc., were not actually usable in any/all 3d programs so I went on a model download binge from hell. Any 3d model I found that I like I downloaded and planned BIG DREAMS of how to use them. Hundreds of model files in every format as I played with posing and rendering in Poser. I was so disappointed to find that I could not import lwo files and that obj clothing I got did not seem to do anything. I was frustrated that there seemed to be no consistent and universal way to use these assets.

Long story short I kept trying and got trial versions of every program deconstructing models and in a lot of cases making them so I could utilize them in Poser. Then this one forum I had joined was busy bashing me for using Poser.....when all it was good at was character Posing...JUST LIKE THE NAME.

The Poser fusion plug-in was probably the best thing Smith Micro could have done. Poser is easy to pose figures in....fairly easy to animate in. Poser figures aren't the most morphable, Poser handles mechanical models poorly to meh. But it excels with its ease of putting figures into poses. It should be made to do that. A place to take your models into interiors and animate them then bring them into WHATEVER program you have for rendering (or even to render in its memory hog engine).

I have used Renderosity for many years, mainly downloading freebies and occasionally buying. I have now taken some time to upload some of my artwork and have read This thread until I am blue in the face. The uploads should let you know I am not New to this. I have found No other program that handles the Posing of Figures to be as easy to use as Poser.....yes Daz figures are morphable and better by far than Poser figures.....Yes Poser has stepped up and is better at importing, handling objs etc,, But Poser should never lose sight of it's NAME. Please I beg of you guys make it THE animators Choice for Figure animation. Make it compatible with as many different programs as possible.....so that when you think of Poser you think of ANIMATION.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 7:23 AM

Neophile, you seem to miss not only the point of this thread, but of Poser itself. If all you want to do is use Poser for figure posing, go ahead and knock yourself out. That, by no means, means that it is all Poser does, or does well. The whole purpose of this thread is in opposition to what you want, in fact. We want Poser to, in some cases, add new features, but most of us desire Poser to improve upon the features it already offers. In that way, we believe that Poser will become a better application than it already is. Posing of figures is not all Poser is capable of, or doing well.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 3:26 PM

EClark1894 posted at 4:25PM Thu, 17 October 2019 - #4367435

Neophile, you seem to miss not only the point of this thread, but of Poser itself. If all you want to do is use Poser for figure posing, go ahead and knock yourself out. That, by no means, means that it is all Poser does, or does well. The whole purpose of this thread is in opposition to what you want, in fact. We want Poser to, in some cases, add new features, but most of us desire Poser to improve upon the features it already offers. In that way, we believe that Poser will become a better application than it already is. Posing of figures is not all Poser is capable of, or doing well.

I read Neophile's post as if he DOES want improvements over what it already offers. He has requested improvements in animation.

And from my read, it sounds to me like he's gone beyond simple posing by learning how to make things work in Poser. So I'm not understanding your point.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 6:36 PM

Deecey posted at 7:29PM Thu, 17 October 2019 - #4367478

I read Neophile's post as if he DOES want improvements over what it already offers. He has requested improvements in animation.

And from my read, it sounds to me like he's gone beyond simple posing by learning how to make things work in Poser. So I'm not understanding your point.

Not my takeaway at ALL. Sounds like all he does is pose figures in Poser, then port them over to other apps to finish them off, which is why he probably likes PoserFusion so much. But mostly it's his insistance that Poser not lose sight of it's name as what it's made for.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 6:52 PM

EClark1894 posted at 7:52PM Thu, 17 October 2019 - #4367497

Not my takeaway at ALL. Sounds like all he does is pose figures in Poser, then port them over to other apps to finish them off, which is why he probably likes PoserFusion so much. But mostly it's his insistance that Poser not lose sight of it's name as what it's made for.

This is the line that gave me the impression I had:

"Long story short I kept trying and got trial versions of every program deconstructing models and in a lot of cases making them so I could utilize them in Poser."

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 8:17 PM · edited Thu, 17 October 2019 at 8:18 PM

Deecey posted at 9:14PM Thu, 17 October 2019 - #4367498

EClark1894 posted at 7:52PM Thu, 17 October 2019 - #4367497

This is the line that gave me the impression I had:

"Long story short I kept trying and got trial versions of every program deconstructing models and in a lot of cases making them so I could utilize them in Poser."

And it's his last paragraph that gave me my impression:

" I have found No other program that handles the Posing of Figures to be as easy to use as Poser.....yes Daz figures are morphable and better by far than Poser figures.....Yes Poser has stepped up and is better at importing, handling objs etc,, But Poser should never lose sight of it's NAME. Please I beg of you guys make it THE animators Choice for Figure animation. Make it compatible with as many different programs as possible.....so that when you think of Poser you think of ANIMATION."

Neophile ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 11:37 PM · edited Thu, 17 October 2019 at 11:46 PM

See I knew that what I said would raise hackles.....EClark you missed my point by a million miles.....Yep I want to be able to Pose....animate....take and take the whole scene into another program to polish it THE WAY I LIKE IT. Doesn't mean I want Poser to ONLY Pose or be a figure engine for everything else. I do a lot of JUST Poser graphics and points about the hair are right on my list of what Poser needs to do better....along with Lights....Poser has one of the most difficult lighting set ups and only recently have you been able to 'grab' point lights and move them where you want them......Back when I was still using Curious Labs I found Daz and when I found how nicely I could control the lighting and what I could do with point lights I thought I might choose that program as my main animator. But the interface for Daz turned me off. I have stuck With Poser not Just for its Character Posing features but its interface. Its highly adaptable features and the fact that I just plain LIKE it. I would love in some cases to take a Maya scene and Import it into POSER. Manipulate ITS figures as easily as I can Poser/Daz figures and Take it BACK into Maya to refine it even Further. Ditto Lightwave, and Blender....etc...ad nauseum. I would love to see Poser be so flexible in that respect that other programs pale in comparison. In other words to make those guys who (in another forum) got on me for using Poser because it was JUST A Character Posing program...I want them to rue those words. I want the Opposite of what you have thought I was saying....No other program does Figure Posing better....so what is wrong with that....add the ability to Manipulate models by point and polygon.....add the ability to do Strand/Fiber in a more realistic and CONTROLABLE fashion.....add good lighting tools and ALL of the other features that have been bandied about in this thread. But EXPAND on the Fusion Idea.....Don't let Poser become another program trying to be ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLE....Make it the Choice for animators who use Any program.

moogal ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2019 at 5:42 PM · edited Sat, 19 October 2019 at 5:44 PM

So today I ran into the perfect of example of the types of things I cannot believe no one has fixed yet. Multiple companies have owned this program and have been unable to fix the simplest of things.. I have my scene open for a few days now, since being notified there was a newer version and needing a few days to get it downloaded and installed. But so far, so good right? I go to save my scene. It's already in the library but I'll be damned if I know a way to just re-save it like in every other single program I have ever used. No, Poser requires typing in the name doesn't it? There's no way around that is there? So I click the "add to library" button and I type my name in the stupid requestor that really in 2019 should auto-complete the name by matching it to files in the library, or provide a drop-down list of previously saved files. Now I have two of the same file in my library because when I updated Poser it defaulted to no file compression. Once again I have the same scene with the same name but with two different extensions. So I go into preferences and turn on file compression. I go back to the library and save my scene again, type the name again, and overwrite the older .pzz (while leaving the newly saved .pz3 in place). At this point I cannot tell from the library which scene icon is the .pzz and which is the .pz3. I assumed that "pz3" would be above "pzz" so I delete one. Of course that means Poser also deletes the thumbnail for the scene I wanted to keep. So now I have to save it a third time. Or something like that. I gave up and took a break. I had to type the name of a file three times to overwrite an existing item in the library. And it looks like I still have both a .pz3 and .pzz version of it saved. Now I'll have to go into explorer and delete one manually. (I know the sequence of events above seems fishy somewhere. I'm not sure for example how I had two versions of the scene with different thumbnails at one point but now have two different versions with the same thumbnails. At first I thought there was only one thumbnail for both but clearly each has its own. Still wondering how deleting one file caused the other file's thumb to disappear.) And stuff like this happens every time I use the program.

Nails60 ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2019 at 6:13 PM

Moogal, if you have opened the scene from the library you can overwrite it simply by clicking save from the file menu rather than saving it using the library save function.

I can see the advantages of being required to enter a new name each time you save to the library as a means of avoiding accidently overwriting library content you want to keep in a moment of distraction.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2019 at 4:37 AM

SeanMartin posted at 5:34AM Mon, 21 October 2019 - #4367132

I was told tonight that 11.2 no longer ships with Wardrobe Wizard and that the reason for this is because PhilC no longer supports it. I happen to love that little python script: thanks to it, my Kyle 1.5 has almost fifty gigs of clothing. Apparently, when I upgraded, it left the python script on mine, because it's still there (thank you, universe), but it did get me to thinking that maybe Bondware could purchase the program from him, update it to include more recent Poser characters like LaFemme and the (hopefully coming soon) Le Homme, make the base program part of the software and sell the individual character files as he has done. Any chance for that?

Actually, my Wardrobe Wizard is still there as well as pointed out in another thread. And yes, I do wish Bondware would include LaFemme to the character files. I even have Paul and Pauline in the mix and not only did I not download or install the characters, I also didn't install the files into Wardrobe Wizard.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2019 at 4:47 AM

moogal posted at 5:38AM Mon, 21 October 2019 - #4367671

So today I ran into the perfect of example of the types of things I cannot believe no one has fixed yet. Multiple companies have owned this program and have been unable to fix the simplest of things.. I have my scene open for a few days now, since being notified there was a newer version and needing a few days to get it downloaded and installed. But so far, so good right? I go to save my scene. It's already in the library but I'll be damned if I know a way to just re-save it like in every other single program I have ever used. No, Poser requires typing in the name doesn't it? There's no way around that is there? So I click the "add to library" button and I type my name in the stupid requestor that really in 2019 should auto-complete the name by matching it to files in the library, or provide a drop-down list of previously saved files. Now I have two of the same file in my library because when I updated Poser it defaulted to no file compression. Once again I have the same scene with the same name but with two different extensions. So I go into preferences and turn on file compression. I go back to the library and save my scene again, type the name again, and overwrite the older .pzz (while leaving the newly saved .pz3 in place). At this point I cannot tell from the library which scene icon is the .pzz and which is the .pz3. I assumed that "pz3" would be above "pzz" so I delete one. Of course that means Poser also deletes the thumbnail for the scene I wanted to keep. So now I have to save it a third time. Or something like that. I gave up and took a break. I had to type the name of a file three times to overwrite an existing item in the library. And it looks like I still have both a .pz3 and .pzz version of it saved. Now I'll have to go into explorer and delete one manually. (I know the sequence of events above seems fishy somewhere. I'm not sure for example how I had two versions of the scene with different thumbnails at one point but now have two different versions with the same thumbnails. At first I thought there was only one thumbnail for both but clearly each has its own. Still wondering how deleting one file caused the other file's thumb to disappear.) And stuff like this happens every time I use the program.

Sometimes fixing the simplest of things tends to break others which is why you get a lot of "it was working before the update" complaints. And Poser does use a lot of third party features which they don't have the authority to change, so that much I do understand. Personally, I'd prefer they drop that in favor of using open source solutions, but I also understand that there are contract considerations to consider. I remember Microsoft once had a contract like that where they got paid even if another operating system was used.

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2019 at 5:57 PM

Nails60 posted at 6:51PM Mon, 21 October 2019 - #4367675

Moogal, if you have opened the scene from the library you can overwrite it simply by clicking save from the file menu rather than saving it using the library save function.

That is true, but then my thumbnail is not updated. And it was deleting the redundant .pzz from the library that caused it to disappear. So in order to have a thumbnail I had to save it through the library. To make things worse, after saving the .pzz and when deleting the .pz3 file from the library, Poser deleted the associated .pmd as well. There's no excuse for something that fundamental to be this borked.

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2019 at 5:52 PM

I feel sorry for the person at Bondware who has to go through 13+ forum pages in this wishlist and wade through all the comments separating the bitching from the actual requests. Whoever you are, my thanks and sympathies to you. Going forward, you might consider doing this as a bug/feature request form (like on Github) just to reduce the chatter and get to the meat of the topic.

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2019 at 8:06 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2019 at 8:08 PM

CuriousGeorge posted at 9:04PM Tue, 22 October 2019 - #4368027

I feel sorry for the person at Bondware who has to go through 13+ forum pages in this wishlist and wade through all the comments separating the bitching from the actual requests. Whoever you are, my thanks and sympathies to you. Going forward, you might consider doing this as a bug/feature request form (like on Github) just to reduce the chatter and get to the meat of the topic.

I posted my list and even updated it to add the next items suggested. If other users would just add to that list there wouldn't be a need to read the whole thread. And the last thing I bitched about was pretty much already on my list.

unrealblue ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2019 at 6:07 AM

Merge in the setup room?

For actors that exist in the source but not the target, keep them. For actors that exist in both, just change the target actors origins and endpoints to match the target.

This would help with things like hair & skirts that have extra "helper" bones.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2019 at 7:45 AM · edited Wed, 23 October 2019 at 7:47 AM

CuriousGeorge posted at 7:40AM Wed, 23 October 2019 - #4368027

They dont "have" to go through anything...they didnt create this thread, meaning it is not an official request on what is it you want to see in Poser, Just one of numerous threads rehashed again....and again and again.

moogal ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2019 at 3:12 PM

CHK2033 posted at 3:26PM Wed, 23 October 2019 - #4368074

They dont "have" to go through anything...they didnt create this thread, meaning it is not an official request on what is it you want to see in Poser, Just one of numerous threads rehashed again....and again and again.

Hence my request for links to or archives of previous lists in hopes of merging them into a current list. Many of the requests on these wish lists would be bug-fix requests with any other program. But with Poser there's always a "reason" why it is the way it is or an argument for why it's not "technically" broken. The first or second item on any list is always going to be the way the hierarchy window behaves (and surely will be until it is changed). We all know what's wrong with it. But it works as designed so there's no "bug" to report. Deleting associated files makes perfect sense, unless the program allows two files with the same name to coexist when their extensions are different. When deleting one file also deletes the .png and .pmd files associated with a file you are keeping, what exactly is the bug there? Allowing two files with the same name to be created? Not checking to see if another file with that name still exists? Both? Pumpkin&Sheaves.png

CHK2033 ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2019 at 3:43 PM

moogal posted at 3:41PM Wed, 23 October 2019 - #4368132

Agree with that 100% and actually just quoted because I like moody dark images :) .

Pumpkin&Sheaves.png

722 ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2019 at 2:51 PM

like a higher quality figure in the way of HD like G8 figures should be the standard. like this,Michael 7 - Portrait by NobbyC https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/michael-7---portrait/2900118/?p Rendard in superfly Amazing detail.

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2019 at 11:18 PM · edited Thu, 24 October 2019 at 11:18 PM

In some ways, this feels more like a rant thread with some dashes of helpful requests, but I don't see the need for this thread if the Dev team ignores it. Again, possibly if (the devs) created a community bug database so that users can log issues and the dev team can simply approve or deny the bug/enhancement. Otherwise, this feels like a complete waste of time.

NobbyC ( ) posted Fri, 25 October 2019 at 2:25 AM

722 posted at 9:20AM Fri, 25 October 2019 - #4368224

like a higher quality figure in the way of HD like G8 figures should be the standard. like this,Michael 7 - Portrait by NobbyC https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/michael-7---portrait/2900118/?p Rendard in superfly Amazing detail.

You are right, more HD morps would be great, but this should be the job of the vendors. But in this render the most details are comming from the "normal map".

unrealblue ( ) posted Sun, 27 October 2019 at 11:49 PM

HD morphs would be a lot easier if Poser integrated with less expensive tools blender or (at least) allowed us to export sub'd mesh as OBJ and sculpt that OBJ in anything (that let us keep the vertex order) blender, then bring that in at a specificsub-d level (the same it exported at. Put the subd level in an OBJ comment. Right now, the only options are the poser morph tool, itself. Which, while ok for touching up, is nothing like a sculpting tool. And zbrush, no? Wouldn't microfacets in superfly also be an effective alternate means to that end?

I kind of see these requests as being one of:

• fix somthing that's broken (long list of possibly hard to kill without breaking something bugs) [the past]
  • change the way something that already exists works (eg: superfly being 100% node for node compatible with blender, collapsable hierarchy) [the present]
  • make poser do something new (dual quaternion skinning, implicit skining) [the future]

I'm for the future. And a future that supports content developers first and content consumers, second. But a very close second. Chicken and egg :)

cwrw ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 1:25 PM

Hair Room :) I want to make fur for my critters for my Poser customers too. I am to some degree right now but it is massively time consuming so not cost effective at all. And the SF hair shaders don't work for fur that well. I did mess with them quite a bit and tried making my own hair/fur shader but with pretty limited success.

Cliff Bowman started a really good Poser program that did a lot of the "heavy lifting" for this. I am sorry it got abandoned for whatever reason.

Also as a texture artist/vendor, I would really like to see partial MATs return- you could make one in earlier versions of Poser and they worked great. (ie: change a trans map, apply more or less bump etc with just a click.) Right now my Poser customers have to manually apply the changed map in a MAT zone.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 4:32 PM · edited Fri, 01 November 2019 at 4:33 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Have you tried these shaders for dynamic hair for sf? https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/superfly-dynamic-hair-shaders/79813 and https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/colors-4-dynamic-hair---poser-11/78549

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.