Mon, Sep 9, 4:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Is it worth upgrading to Poser 12

weiesnbach ( ) posted Thu, 29 April 2021 at 8:26 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 4:23 AM

I had bad problems when updating to 11, and still have many missing Python scripts, and search can't find a good amount of my old content. I was using my old installation of Poser 10 to find content and then writing down the name verbatim of the actual target file in order to find it on 11, but I had to stop doing that when I switched machines, because I don't want Flash on this machine, ever...

....so, in short, I have been somewhat disappointed in Poser 11. I saw no real improvement in functionality, and instead saw a massive change in the search implementation that has seriously slowed me down. Does Poser 12 have a better search function than 11? Are there any improvements that I can't simply live without? Are there any that will make my life simpler? Or would I be better off purchasing content instead?

jennblake ( ) posted Thu, 29 April 2021 at 9:32 AM

Poser 12 has a 21 day free trial upon installation if you would like to review it first. Just download the installer HERE You will not have access to the free content that is included with Poser 12 until after purchase. But you can use your current content to test it. 😄

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 29 April 2021 at 11:17 AM

The only downside with Poser 12 will be Python Scripts that were used in the P11, they no longer work until updates are formally released. If you are very dependent on the scripts then I wouldn't consider upgrading just yet.

jennblake ( ) posted Thu, 29 April 2021 at 11:20 AM

We are currently in the process of updating quite a few of the older scripts to P12 compatibility. Those will be releasing soon. if you check ken1171_designs store he has also been releasing some new ones created just for P12. 😄

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 29 April 2021 at 12:05 PM
Site Admin

Yes, the search engine works better in poser 12. If you use superfly, that's much faster too. If you don't and it's because of the time, you might find it's closer to your liking, depending on your use and needs. And some of the old scripts do work with only a little effort

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 12:17 AM

It's worth upgrading from Poser 9 or 10, but not from Poser Pro 2014. The benefits are just to minimal. the upgrade from Poser 11 to 12 is an expensive joke.

weiesnbach ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 5:11 AM

Nevertrumper posted at 4:45AM Fri, 30 April 2021 - #4418033

the upgrade from Poser 11 to 12 is an expensive joke.

...honestly, that's what I am seeing when I look at new features, but if they've got the search function working good enough to actually find my content then it might just be worth it.

I use Poser mainly for comic book style toon renders(think Brian Haberlin)--though not exclusively.

I hardly use Superfly at all, in fact the way in which it(Superfly) approaches displacement maps makes it fairly useless in my workflow. If I'm doing a realistic render I need those displacement maps, and I don't want to use them on a surface so sub-divided that it slows my machine to a crawl--seriously if I need to subdivide the surface that much, I'll model it instead, and smooth shade it--so much simpler and more effective.

Before the release of 12 I saw a lot of talk about getting it up and ready for the new NVidia graphics cards, and that's cool, but if I could afford a $2000 graphics card, then I'm likely not going to be using Poser, and will opt for something a bit more robust.

What I'm mainly worried about is that the developers have lost sight of what the users actually want, and in doing so have shot themselves in the foot, and financially killed a good program by adding niche features to an upgrade that is literally a make or break step in the programs development, and that this might be the last version of the program we'll ever see, because if people aren't buying it then there's no reason to develop it, and I'm honestly having a very hard time justifying an upgrade at this point, and I don't think I'm alone here.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 7:31 AM

If you don't use Superfly, it's probably not worth the upgrade just yet. (I prefer Firefly myself. I upgraded, and I don't regret it, but I still mostly use Poser 11. Because of the Python issue. If you do upgrade, you'll want to keep your old version of Poser, too.)

I think Poser 12 is, at least for now, mostly an attempt to get a program that hasn't really been updated for years on track. In particular, Python 2 reached its end of life, and had to be replaced. That's why the old scripts don't work any more.

Superfly does render much faster in Poser 12, and there's a denoiser (a common complaint with Superfly in Poser 11 is how slow it is, and how noisy the renders look). But if you don't use Superfly, you won't see those benefits.

Like you, I prefer a comic or illustrative style to photorealism. I hope future versions of Poser make comic style renders easier and more customizable.

weiesnbach ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 8:13 AM

randym77 posted at 7:59AM Fri, 30 April 2021 - #4418045

Like you, I prefer a comic or illustrative style to photorealism. I hope future versions of Poser make comic style renders easier and more customizable.

...I would pay for that. I would also pay for added features to the cloth room(shrinking mainly), and better hair, I would also love to see some kind of particle physics- smoke, fire, water etc...

If I'm being 100% honest here, the vast majority of what I render is from the preview renderer, and by majority I mean it's not even close- 90+%, and the rest comes from Firefly. I don't think I've ever used a render from Superfly on a paying job-ever-I have used it, and love the way it handles light, but as far as my day-to-day uses go, it's an afterthought at best. What I mainly need is exactly what this program began as(and I've been around long enough to remember its beginnings), a program that allows me to pose models as an artist reference for further work in other programs.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 8:33 AM

Instead of fumbeling some cycles rip off into Poser, it would have been better establish a Blender Bridge. That kind of a bridge for bringing your scene to Blender including cycles materials plus a return for creating morphs for your figures and objects. But all this would not justify an upgrade, for it can be simply done as a plug in. Poser has reached its limits. Unless they don‘t put effort into establishing real humans instead of toons equipped with a technolgy that allows realistic joint bendings, emotions and soft body dynamics. Poser will fall back to a niche software for the stuck in the 2k‘s click and load render people. Renders always advertise the software they use. Look here in the Poser gallery. Is this gallery make you want to buy Poser? Everbody will have his own opinion on this, but why is Poser no longer the market leader?

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 11:51 AM

Nevertrumper posted at 11:21AM Fri, 30 April 2021 - #4418054

Renders always advertise the software they use. Look here in the Poser gallery. Is this gallery make you want to buy Poser? Everbody will have his own opinion on this, but why is Poser no longer the market leader?

The gallery nor the RMP store does give any reasons to upgrade Poser that is sad and very true, and sure is that people make there opinions based on the visuals they are getting . I do not think that poser ever was a market leader, it probably never will be one but for some it is of high value, it has , or lets say had really great options and still has possibilities beyond any imagination. I personally do not agree with allot of things on how Renderosity ( Bondware ) is marketing Poser . Sure they might be just coders and not very experienced on making 3D , so all it needs is some that are capable of making good stuff , and for sure it can be done , no doubt about it , the new creators just got no Idea on how to. Rernderosity is not a big help to introduce these into the matter. Guess they have them selves not enough Knowledge on creating things for Poser.

But if a individual artists just sits a little on it he might figure out allot of possibilities using poser, it is not really the Programm that is an issue, it is the one that sits behind it using it, not really depending on the program it self as it has great options it is what the artist makes out of it.

Sure I personally blame the staff for this mess, for all the lies, for the loss, but at the end it can be changed, like mentioned, just make your own bridges make your own Extension, Make a Blender Bridge, I did, so it means that it is possible and if I can then I Believe that allot others can to. Each artist just needs to find he's own style and it is hard work to be a good artist for sure.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 5:23 PM

Instead of fumbeling some cycles rip off into Poser, it would have been better establish a Blender Bridge. That kind of a bridge for bringing your scene to Blender including cycles materials plus a return for creating morphs for your figures and objects. But all this would not justify an upgrade, for it can be simply done as a plug in. >Poser has reached its limits.

Having a Bridge to Blender will not help sell copies of Poser to anyone.

Users from the Blender eco system needing Pre-fabbed figures have two plugins to get Daz genesis figures into Blender with auto material conversion.

Diffeomorphic by Thomas Larson and the Official Daz to Blender bridge and both are FREE just like Blender.

An Iclone CC3 user even created a free blender addon for us Iclone CC3 users

Exisiting Poser users ,who are already using Blender for creating their own content or market place products have sorted out the back & forth for morph creation without a specific plugin for poser.

And non content creators, in the poser user base, will never migrate to Blender just to use the REAL cycles or the Realtime EEVEE engine.

I say this because this is the group that considers Daz Studios Kiddie toy interface "too difficult to use" to gain access to the coveted,overrated ,golden unicorn(G8).

I doubt they will embrace Blender which has a far more complex interface than Daz studio.

So for Bondware to develop a dedicated Blender bridge would be a terrible waist of time & resources IMHO

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2021 at 10:56 PM

randym77 posted at 10:53PM Fri, 30 April 2021 - #4418045

If you don't use Superfly, it's probably not worth the upgrade just yet. (I prefer Firefly myself. I upgraded, and I don't regret it, but I still mostly use Poser 11. Because of the Python issue. If you do upgrade, you'll want to keep your old version of Poser, too.)

I think Poser 12 is, at least for now, mostly an attempt to get a program that hasn't really been updated for years on track. In particular, Python 2 reached its end of life, and had to be replaced. That's why the old scripts don't work any more.

Superfly does render much faster in Poser 12, and there's a denoiser (a common complaint with Superfly in Poser 11 is how slow it is, and how noisy the renders look). But if you don't use Superfly, you won't see those benefits.

To be honest, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like to see them do away with Superfly altogether and just bring in Cycles. I don't mean do away with Firefly. Keep it. People who like it can continue to use it. But I really just want to do away with using Firefly and go straight with Cycles.

HartyBart ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2021 at 3:55 AM

Yes, if you're not a Superfly user it's not really worth upgrading yet. Sounds like what you really need is copy of PZDB, though, as an alternative to the libraries.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2021 at 6:51 AM

<

And non content creators, in the poser user base, will never migrate to Blender just to use the REAL cycles or the Realtime EEVEE engine.

Don't be so sure about that. Migrating a Poser scene into a far more advanced software has always been a thing. Back in the days I used Interposer Pro, to bring my stuff to C4D, or I used the Poser importer in Vue. Bringing everything into Blender and learning how to improve your scene by using more and more Blender tools is a big temptation.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2021 at 7:07 AM

Nevertrumper posted at 7:04AM Sat, 01 May 2021 - #4418119

<

Don't be so sure about that. Migrating a Poser scene into a far more advanced software has always been a thing. Back in the days I used Interposer Pro, to bring my stuff to C4D, or I used the Poser importer in Vue. Bringing everything into Blender and learning how to improve your scene by using more and more Blender tools is a big temptation.

Actually, unless something has changed dramatically, Importing into Blender is not a viable option. Blender's and Poser's size scales don't even come close to matching up. If you import into Blender, everything is too small. If you import from Blender into Poser, everything is too big.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2021 at 10:32 AM

You really should learn more about Blender.

Any imported item, or group of items in Blender, can be parented to an "Empty" and that empty can be perfeclty scaled to any size you need.

You have been using Blender for years to make simple props Earl.

The fact that you did not know this is a perfect illustration of why the average poser user will never embrace Blender.

The Blender default cube is 2 meters tall ( over 6 feet) here are two copies of P6 Jessie(remember her), imported into Blender via Daz studio 4.12 using the free "diffeomorphic" Addon by Thomas Larson.

the Jessi on the right has been attached to an empty and scaled up obviously.

Seriously .. poser users can render V4 - G8 in Blender right now...today!! but they would again have to use Daz studio as an intermediary step and if the DS interface is too hard for them...

then even then new ,user friendly,2.9+ Blender is truly a lost cause as they will never leave the 1990's ,kai krause designed ,interface comfort bubble. p6 jessiea.png

My website

YouTube Channel

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2021 at 11:42 AM

And it goes the other way, too. Poser users are used to everything being yuuuuuge when you import it. You just rescale it. You can even put a scaling factor in as a preference.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2021 at 4:35 PM · edited Sat, 01 May 2021 at 4:40 PM

wolf359 posted at 4:31PM Sat, 01 May 2021 - #4418136

You really should learn more about Blender.

Any imported item, or group of items in Blender, can be parented to an "Empty" and that empty can be perfeclty scaled to any size you need.

You have been using Blender for years to make simple props Earl.

The fact that you did not know this is a perfect illustration of why the average poser user will never embrace Blender.

The Blender default cube is 2 meters tall ( over 6 feet) here are two copies of P6 Jessie(remember her), imported into Blender via Daz studio 4.12 using the free "diffeomorphic" Addon by Thomas Larson.

the Jessi on the right has been attached to an empty and scaled up obviously.

Seriously .. poser users can render V4 - G8 in Blender right now...today!! but they would again have to use Daz studio as an intermediary step and if the DS interface is too hard for them...

Well, I do consider myself to be an average poser user, first of all. But you still have to scale things up or down to work in Poser or Blender. What I tend to do is just import a figure's geometry like Dusk or Dawn's, into Blender and create props or clothing around that geometry. It's much simpler and easier for me. Then when it's time to export everything's the proper size.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2021 at 8:43 PM
Site Admin

Importing a scene into blender from poser isn't that difficult. I did this scene with minimal trouble. Blender 2.80 imported the textures as the principle node shader. I had a little adjustment to the subsurface scattering for the people. The most difficult part was importing the dynamic hair. One of the programs kept crashing. If I'd stuck with all transmapped hair, it would have been even easier. And I see myself as a beginner.

39 you can't help her.jpg

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2021 at 4:46 AM

But you still have to scale things up or down to work in Poser or Blender. What I tend to do is just import a figure's geometry like Dusk or Dawn's, into Blender and create props or clothing around that geometry. It's much simpler and easier for me. Then when it's >time to export >everything's the proper size.

Well of course There mus be initially some trial and error to get the export/import scale right for clothing development but you then save a preset as I Did for Daz genesis and later Reallusion CC3.( see pic)

That is not a reason to declare Blender "not viable " for an export Plugin as suggested by "Nevertrumper"

My opinion is that such dedicated bridge plugins are better left to third parties .

Existing poser users, such as Redphantom ,who really want to us Blender for rendering, are already doing so without a bridge plugin

Bondware should be focused on making posers internal features more competitive because trying to use a "Blender bridge" as selling point is very little enticement to a NEW BUYER when that person still has to buy poser for $200 and then have the choice sending LF&LH,Dawn, Dusk or the 15 + year old V4/M4 to Blender for rendering.

OR spend that $200 on CC3 pipeline and use the free Blender import Addon ,in my previous post, and have access to all of the genesis figures (via the conversion tool in CC3) before exporting them to Blender for rendering

Or get Daz studio for nothing and use one of the two Free plugins to send Daz Genesis 8 figures and scene content to Blender for rendering.

Captureexportsettongs.JPG

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2021 at 6:25 AM · edited Sun, 02 May 2021 at 6:29 AM

wolf359 posted at 6:16AM Sun, 02 May 2021 - #4418179

But you still have to scale things up or down to work in Poser or Blender. What I tend to do is just import a figure's geometry like Dusk or Dawn's, into Blender and create props or clothing around that geometry. It's much simpler and easier for me. Then when it's >time to export >everything's the proper size.

Well of course There mus be initially some trial and error to get the export/import scale right for clothing development but you then save a preset as I Did for Daz genesis and later Reallusion CC3.( see pic)

That is not a reason to declare Blender "not viable " for an export Plugin as suggested by "Nevertrumper"

Okay, granted, "not viable" is perhaps a poor choice of words because yes, there are workarounds. Maybe "cumbersome"? But size isn't the only workaround you'd have to find. I've imported Poser figures into Blender before, and the figures usually come in with no color. Yes, I know the color can be applied, but it's still a problem. The figures don't pose. I think Poser's FBX feature is broken or at least not working very well. So you either have to pose them in Poser, |THEN import them. Or you could import them and give them new riggings.

Btw, no I haven't used 2.8 or above for creating anything, so my experience, as I mentioned before with the new Blender is limited. I just figured out how to get around that stupid OpenGL error you get for some machines. Another problem.

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2021 at 8:14 AM

@ EClark1894

it is in most cases normal that by exporting a FBX it will not maintain the pose as it takes the Geometry info and not the Cr2 Pose info so files load normally in zero Positions. It is not a FBX Issue at all, same would happen when exporting a model from blender to Poser it will zero the model to the Geometry coordinates. to have a posed figure exported you need to burn in the geometry, in this case it would work. In one hand for the creation of models it is better this way else the symmetry would get lost.

even if you parent things to a figure not burning in the new coordinates will cause issues and reposition the parts, it is where users mostly think that there is a issue with the export import format, but it is not the format that is causing the issue it is on how it is build up. and there are many factors that can cause unpleasant results. Poser is very exact and needs very clean geometry setups, not like DS that does not even care about the Polygon sides, Poser does not like scrambled Polygon sides for example.

adp001 ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2021 at 2:48 PM

Exported figures from DAZ to Blender are posable. Even V4. Or any figure from Poser first imported into DAZ Studio and exported to Blender.

But (and this is a very big one) posing in Blender is not as easy as with Poser or even DAZ Studio. Easy posing is the true strength of Poser.

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2021 at 3:08 PM

@ adp001

jup very true, well the name say's it all ( Poser ) not to mention the ease to find stuff in a assorted library to set up your scene, oh and the lights, the cameras a real comfort zone in Poser. Easy Ik's setup and the Power of Easy-Pose . Morphing with just a few clicks or spinning a little wheel .... there is a whole list of positive aspects in Poser. and you can feed it with almost anything to expand your easy to use library collection a big ++ for these Collectors

adp001 ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2021 at 3:41 PM

@Summoner-Creations

Anything beside posing is only true if you are used to the way you do things in Poser and refuse to learn something new and different. Which in the end means refusing to accept more modern methods that might do things in a fundamentally different way. As an example, you mentioned Poser's camera and light. Those are actually more examples of Poser being decades behind. Look at what Blender can do with cameras and you'll be green with envy. And no, it's not difficult to use. Not at all. You just don't turn knobs like you do with Poser. You can control the camera by moving the mouse around in the viewport. Completely intuitive. Of course, Blender also has controls. Sliders instead of knobs like in Poser.

Time will tell what will become of Poser. Or whether Poser will simply die away.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2021 at 7:18 PM

adp001 posted at 7:11PM Sun, 02 May 2021 - #4418209

@Summoner-Creations

Anything beside posing is only true if you are used to the way you do things in Poser and refuse to learn something new and different. Which in the end means refusing to accept more modern methods that might do things in a fundamentally different way. As an example, you mentioned Poser's camera and light. Those are actually more examples of Poser being decades behind. Look at what Blender can do with cameras and you'll be green with envy. And no, it's not difficult to use. Not at all. You just don't turn knobs like you do with Poser. You can control the camera by moving the mouse around in the viewport. Completely intuitive. Of course, Blender also has controls. Sliders instead of knobs like in Poser.

Poser used to have sliders back in Poser 1 and 2. (I didn't buy 3) Then Poser started listening to Kai Kraus and just F**** up everything! I originally thought they stole the idea from Bryce.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 12:04 AM

Poser used to have sliders back in Poser 1 and 2. (I didn't buy 3) Then Poser started listening to Kai Kraus and just F**** up everything! I originally thought they stole the idea from Bryce.

Not stolen. It was all Kai Krause design, when he was working with Meta Creation in1999. Kai Krause designed the UI for Poser, Bryce and Ray Dream- later Carrara.

I've always hated it. Terrible UI. Especially at that time, when UIs like that had the potential to slow down your computer.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 4:09 AM

if you are used to the way you do things in Poser and refuse to learn something new and different. Which in the end means >refusing to accept more modern methods that >might do things in a fundamentally different way.

Quoted for complete agreement.

I understand the prevailing power of the "comfort bubble"

however whenever I see a poser user claim that the poser user interface is "Better than everything else" I know for certain that this person has never used any other program, certainly not a modern day one.

If I launch My old poser pro 2014 or Bryce 7, I feel like have been snatched back to the 1990,s where that Kai krause , kiddie toy, interface should have been left.

Sadly a complete overhaul of the Poser UI is probably less likely than native genesis support considering it would be tantamount to a complete $$core re-write of the application.$$

My website

YouTube Channel

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 6:11 AM

Sadly a complete overhaul of the Poser UI is probably less likely than native genesis support considering it would be tantamount to a complete $$core re-write of the application.$$

To be fair, Poser had a UI overhaul (Poser 8/ Poser 2010 ?) and it was in fact a huge improvement.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 6:56 AM

Blender had a UI overhaul at version 2.8

Poser had a cosmetic update with poser 8?

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 8:53 AM

Actually, I've never had a real issue with Poser's overall UI. Just those dials! I'd love it Poser brought the sliders back. I'm not into Studio at all, but the one thing I DO like... the sliders!

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 3:46 PM

I use many different programs and sure you can not compare Poser with them. but I do not think that it is a comfort bubble for the users to stay or use Poser and or Daz studio. Allot have huge collections of models, big investments, Years of work assembling a useful library .... Fully addicted on collecting these assets --->> they might not even use ! It is like a Drug . If one like you say jump out of there comfort bubble , how long would it take the one to rebuild the collection made the past decades ?? 1 day 1 week 1 month 1 year or a whole Decade ??

So for sure it is not because one would not be capable using another program either it is a Comfort bubble. It is how much time and efforts one Invested in the Passion he is having . Changing jumping to something else is the easy choice, we already are living in a evolution that runs way to fast what you have today will already be an antique tomorrow , no time left for creativity. How many Programs will be Improved this year ? You barely have the time learning the basics using the program in a Professional way before a better new one comes out throwing you back to zero :)

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 5:42 PM · edited Mon, 03 May 2021 at 5:44 PM

but I do not think that it is a comfort bubble for the users to stay or use Poser and or Daz studio. Allot have huge collections of models, big investments, Years of work assembling a useful library .... Fully addicted on collecting these assets --->> they might not even use ! It is like a Drug . If one like you say jump out of there comfort bubble , how long would it take the one to rebuild the >collection made the past decades ?? 1 day 1 week 1 month >1 year or a whole Decade ??

Not advocating for Daz studio (They have banned me from their forums for "Advocating other softwares")

But it is not true that moving from poser to Daz studio, for Genesis access, requires a complete abandonment of your entire library of legacy poser content.

Any CR2 based figure or Stonemason set prop etc can be opened in Daz studio natively By simply adding your old legacy poser runtime. even figures as old as Poser4 "dork' and the Zygote "business man"( see pic)

That large majority of the poser user base, still clinging to Vicky4 ,would have little problems using her in Daz studio while they migrate to whatever generation of genesis 1,2,3,8.

However the Willdial script to import G3/8 into poser has very limited acceptance because it requires the use of Daz studio to export the figures and many here refuse to leave the poser comfort bubble long enough for a simple figure export and instead demand a poser native version of Genesis ...which will never happen.

Even Reallusions figure transformer tool ,in CC3 pipeline supports, V4/M4 import including textures and clothing, However you would have to make a substantial financial investment in the Iclone 3dxchange pipeline tool to salvage your props& stonemason sets etc.

But frankly people who move to Reallusion are migrating there for the powerful, realtime Character animation tools,not to re-create and render old poser scenes from the past.

Now yes....Moving to Blender or another 3DCC, requires a special plugin IMHO, and currently there are none for poser which is not surprising as the majority of poser user base can/will not learn Daz's Kiddie toy interface, to say nothing of Blender or Maya etc.

DORK AN DCO.JPG

My website

YouTube Channel

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 7:12 PM · edited Mon, 03 May 2021 at 7:17 PM

@wolf359

I bridged Poser with Blender already 3 or 4 years ago ( Do not recall exactly Time flies by ) and actually all works great, guess it is a reason that I am stuck a little with Poser 11.1 as 11.2 already is causing an issue. it rolls back to Poser 2014 , ok it is still Blender 2.76 did not have time upgrading it to 2.8 or 2.9 I downloaded it a while back but it is quiet time-consuming setting it all up. I tried many years bridging it with DS with no luck it just goes into one direction Ds -----> Blender but not Blender -----> Ds Ds would have the engine but there is either a lock or an error that I never could figure out , causing that the models spit out the same way as in Blender or Carrara with visible bones and not selectable Body Parts in DS !! also it is actually not possible ( so it seems ) Blender ---> Ds for a clean bridge it has to go through Blender----> Carrara -----> Ds . But Poser does work to build up a clean Bridge 1:1 in both directions. at least until Poser 11.1 Poser 12 I have not tested but due the Python engine change it might not be possible .

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 7:29 PM

Ok by bridging I mean a Plugin like you say, but Plugin would be a little small by any means as it is rather an engine with quiet a load of automated options. I am not talking about FBX Import export as that would not work for sure, but guess most already made that experience :)

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 7:51 PM

Also, there are different type of users, some specialize into Texturing , others into animations , then we have the ones who make mesh design and the ones who specialize onto rigging there is a large list , most in here rather talk about texturing, rendering, and some a little for animations. but not really often about the mesh creation and the rigging witch I Believe it is a essential part of Figure creation. It is what comes in first Place !

I have to admit I am not specialized in texturing using all these infinite variables of nodes and setups , it to is a passion and sure needed and can end up very complex. I rather do the mathematics of articulations, grouping and Joint orientations as for texturing the basics :)

Sure Blender is not a kiddy toy like Poser or Ds , It is a 3D creation Program and as much you will have to Invest in time to learn it, one can not compare it with DS nor Poser that actually are not meant to be Figure creation Programs.

Summoner-Creations ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2021 at 8:04 PM

Do you remember Groboto v3 a really stunning intuitive mesh creation Program ... small and really effective. It took me a moment to understand that intuitive concept but once you are into it you get really amazing basic meshes. They stopped it at the time actually a pity.

Eronik ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2021 at 11:16 AM

adp001 posted at 11:13AM Thu, 06 May 2021 - #4418209

@Summoner-Creations

... Look at what Blender can do with cameras and you'll be green with envy. And no, it's not difficult to use. Not at all. You just don't turn knobs like you do with Poser. You can control the camera by moving the mouse around in the viewport. Completely intuitive.

Have you tried controlling Poser's Dolly camera with a 3D spacemouse? You'd be singin' a different tune.

OldCode ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2021 at 3:04 PM

Is it worth is to go from PP11 to PP12 for FBX?

FBX in PP11 is extremely slow and barely usable. I am still using PoserFusion from PP2014. It's got its quirks but I've done great things with it. Since Renderosity has giving up on PoserFusion, using PoserFusion with PP11 is still my best option unless they greatly increased the import export time for FBX.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2021 at 3:41 AM

EClark1894 posted at 3:29AM Sat, 22 May 2021 - #4418228

adp001 posted at 7:11PM Sun, 02 May 2021 - #4418209

@Summoner-Creations

I really miss using Poser, but I don't miss using the UI. I bought every add-on/script that I could find that would customize or replace parts of the UI like Scene Toy + and Camera Panel +. I was never happy with the huge bubble buttons taking up so much damn room and now that I'm so used to Studio's UI, and without a serious overhaul of the Poser interface, I don't know how I could ever go back to it without those scripts if I ever wanted to use P12. (I actually don't know if the scripts are broken in p12 but I assume they are)

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2021 at 11:38 AM

JohnDoe641 posted at 11:33AM Sat, 22 May 2021 - #4419648

EClark1894 posted at 3:29AM Sat, 22 May 2021 - #4418228

I really miss using Poser, but I don't miss using the UI. I bought every add-on/script that I could find that would customize or replace parts of the UI like Scene Toy + and Camera Panel +. I was never happy with the huge bubble buttons taking up so much damn room and now that I'm so used to Studio's UI, and without a serious overhaul of the Poser interface, I don't know how I could ever go back to it without those scripts if I ever wanted to use P12. (I actually don't know if the scripts are broken in p12 but I assume they are)

I also miss Joe's (Netherworks) goodies, and his Slim Parameters tool was the most useful of all of them. I remember reading somewhere on this forum a note from one of the Renderosity/Bondware folks who said many of Joe's scripts were being updated. Which ones, I have no idea, and I suspect the Slim Parameters tool won't be one of the first to be done. ~sigh~

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

noobalien ( ) posted Fri, 04 June 2021 at 10:01 PM

Unless it has been fixed in an update, the Anisotropic Node was broken when Poser 12 was released, while some other nodes were missing, along with other buggy issues.

So, do you wanna pay hundreds of dollars for faulty software? If your answer is "Yes!" then upgrading to Poser 12 may be an option.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2021 at 6:14 AM
Site Admin

The anisotropic node was fixed long ago. I think most of the original bugs have been fixed. The glossy node is still more sensitive, but that wasn't a bug. That was a change in the render engine. The change was in Blender too.

NikKelly ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2022 at 9:21 AM

FWW, if an FBX import does not actually crash P_11 I/O, does all its node-building and reaches scene, I've found any flock of sub-rigs may usually be tamed by using Poser hierarchy to parent subsequent sub-rigs to root of first in list. Yes, the one used to pose the figure...

( I used to use a prim place-holder, but dare to try using first sub-rig... )

With a bit of luck, this will off-load Poser hierarchy enough to let you safely move and pose figure.

And, if you use hierarchy tools to rename that first with a nice prefix, it is easy to spot in scene.

With care, you may even use 'Edit, Duplicate' to clone figure. Safer and uses far less resource than importing a second take...

https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/3071727/band-of-brothers

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2022 at 4:41 PM

Hi, I think Poser UI is one of the best, intuitive, UI in the market, in a short time you can start doing things and that's a great thing for the people Poser is made.

I think Poser needs to focus on improving things like dynamic cloth room, hair room and create more tools like that to give their characters a more realistic touch.

Blender UI, the past and the present one, is one the worst UI in the 3d software world for new users, making it extremely difficult to learn the software from scratch.

adh3d website

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 13 August 2022 at 5:17 AM

Sadly, I regret upgrading to Poser 11, and not just because I later got a free license when Bondware killed Poser Pro Game Dev.  It just wasn't worth the additional coin to me.  I wasn't able to get satisfactory results in a reasonable time with Superfly.

I don't think I've used Poser in a year.  Since my go-to figure in Poser was was Genesis 2, and IRay is a GPU renderer, I hold my nose and use DAZ Studio.  I should give Blender with the bridge plug-in a try...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 3:49 PM

Poser 12 can use your Nvidia card.

gwp ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2022 at 9:19 AM

I was a Poser user from Poser 3 through Poser 11 and always found the interface very easy to use, so I held off from using Daz Studio for a long time (and was very frustrated with the interface each time I did try it, because it didn't seem intuitive at all).  But  after seeing so many attractive Daz characters, starting with Genesis 3 and even more so with Genesis 8 and 8.1, I became frustrated with the much poorer quality of the figures for Poser and the fact that very few vendors were supporting Poser figures any more, and I  finally started using Daz Studio instead of Poser.  As a result, I didn't upgrade from Poser 11 to Poser 12.  If someone came up with a version of Poser that could use the newer Daz figures natively, without complicated work-arounds, I would be happy to buy it, because I still prefer Poser's interface to Daz Studio's, but I don't think this is very likely.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2022 at 10:03 AM

It is not so much as Poser is able to use DAZ figures, it is DAZ not interested in providing any further investment into Poser portability.  Sure you need to jump through hoops to import those figures, but the source of apps capable of facilitating that process has dried up.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2022 at 10:05 AM
gwp posted at 9:19 AM Tue, 27 September 2022 - #4445353

If someone came up with a version of Poser that could use the newer Daz figures natively, without complicated work-arounds, I would be happy to buy it, because I still prefer Poser's interface to Daz Studio's, but I don't think this is very likely.

I understand you, honestly, even though there's an upcoming Dawn2 that will very probably be must-have.
But I sincerely doubt that you will simply import a recent Genesis to Poser, from 8 on this will become harsher and harsher, if this will ever possible. Especially with the new G9.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.