Thu, Oct 3, 1:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Poser new release Firefly + material room crashes

sergio777 ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 3:34 PM ยท edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:27 PM

I have been using Poser new release and was working fine, but I discovered a issue.. When I'm using Firefly render and I enter in the material room it crashes when loading textures. I'm not sure why but the material room only crashes when I am using Firefly render, when I use superfly the material room works fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 7:08 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I usually use superfly, but I did some tests with firefly and didn't have any problems.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 7:24 PM

Cannot reproduce either, with a fairly large scene. How big are your texture maps and what is your computer setup?

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2021 at 12:19 PM

I never got any crashes in the Material Room with previous update (using SuperFly materials) but this new release has caused several. Also the preview is slow to load, I figure I may just be moving too fast so I have slowed down but still got a couple crashes yesterday. However; using Windows 7 they probably are not interested....

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2021 at 12:37 PM

I'm crashing now, too. I do SF renders. However, it's slow to refresh mat previews in the material room (I use Edit), and I think if I don't wait until every mat refreshes before clicking something, I crash. Also crashed after I added a cr2 to the library and then selected File New.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB.ย 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2021 at 1:12 PM

Using the Assign tab is helpful in not waiting for material previews to refresh. I'll have to use that more often.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB.ย 

Old lady hobbyist.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2021 at 1:13 PM ยท edited Sun, 08 August 2021 at 1:13 PM

May I suggest you to check these parameters?

2021-08-08_20h09_53.png

If I load an old scene with those parameters not as is, in particular the two zones in the green rectangles, Poser is slower indeed.

Now, for the crashes part: because of the Python involved, if I click on something at a moment when Poser hasn't finished with its current task, indeed it crashes

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Poser 13 and soon 14ย โค๏ธ

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2021 at 1:45 PM

I had everything in your preview screenshot except:

1. I didn't have the AO settings checked
  2. my preview resolution is 512, not 1024

I'll try these changes.

Old lady hobbyist.

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2021 at 4:38 PM

VedaDalsette posted at 4:31PM Sun, 08 August 2021 - #4424801

I'm crashing now, too. I do SF renders. However, it's slow to refresh mat previews in the material room (I use Edit), and I think if I don't wait until every mat refreshes before clicking something, I crash. Also crashed after I added a cr2 to the library and then selected File New.

That is the same I think that I have experienced with the current update. Yesterday I seemed to find that if I do not have the 'preview' section of the node selected then it went faster as I build the node (Poser Physical and/or Cycles) and then once built open the preview portion...also did not experience a crash. However I did get a crash when loading one of Afrodite-Ohki's cloth materials; the prop had a material assigned and I just double click the new material and as the nodes replaced - BOOM it crashed. I only had one figure, three clothing items and two props in the scene (this is a really small setup compared to what I usually work with).

I will look at the settings Y-Phil posted....

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2021 at 9:28 PM
Online Now!

I haven't had any crashes, but I do notice the CPU activity jumps quite a bit in the material room, and then -- more importantly -- never comes back down until I restart Poser. It stays around 15% even when Poser is sitting idle for long periods of time. You can hear the fan spin up, makes it hard to tell when renders are done (normally the fan slowing back down is my cue).

I don't use "enable hardware shading" because those previews aren't useful. All the cycles shaders just turn uselessly white. With hardware shading off, if there is also a firefly texture, the preview shows that instead so I actually have something to work with. As discussed here.

GGari ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2021 at 2:01 PM

Crashes all day in Material room. Sorta driving me nuts at the moment. Usually happens when I mess around with character texture.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2021 at 2:17 PM

I suggest you check the parameters Y-Phil posted above. I experienced slowdown, textures flashing to black, but no crashes and the issues went away after I changed the AO parameters specifically. Now how long it stays that way, not sure. Persistent crashes should probably be repeated on tbe posersoftware site for the record. Forumposts are unfortunately not considered reporting.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2021 at 2:22 PM

Rhia474 posted at 2:19PM Tue, 10 August 2021 - #4424972

I suggest you check the parameters Y-Phil posted above. I experienced slowdown, textures flashing to black, but no crashes and the issues went away after I changed the AO parameters specifically. Now how long it stays that way, not sure. Persistent crashes should probably be repeated on tbe posersoftware site for the record. Forumposts are unfortunately not considered reporting.

These AO settings are saved within the Poser file, and it's the same for the default one that we can choose by clicking "Set preferred scene"

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2021 at 2:27 PM

I had them deselected completely for some arcane reason.

GGari ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2021 at 10:00 PM

did what Phil said. Crashes in material room. Eh I guess I'll hope they fix it.

igohigh ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2021 at 6:58 PM

GGari posted at 6:56PM Wed, 11 August 2021 - #4425003

Try this:

1. SLOW DOWN....that is a hard one for me but it truly helps. Do Not make a move until the node(s) fully refresh after making a change.
  2. Close the Preview pane of the nodes - it does not seem to crash nor hang if the Preview is not open. After making your change then click and preview, close it again if you are going to make more changes.

A bit of a pain, slows the workflow down, but I have NOT had a single crash since making these two changes (and I am a FAST clicker and key tapper....)

Dream9Studios ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2021 at 1:24 AM

Just wanted to add I too am having countless crashes per day since the update in the Material Room while using Superfly cycles. I get crashes when sliding the animation slider between frames when I'm doing dynamic cloth or something like that. It also hangs and freezes at other times too though I don't notice what I'm doing until it's too late. I'll try to be more mindful for sake of troubleshooting. I just know I've been swearing at my computer and P12 a LOT lately.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2021 at 5:50 AM ยท edited Thu, 12 August 2021 at 5:50 AM

igohigh posted at 5:46AM Thu, 12 August 2021 - #4425067

GGari posted at 6:56PM Wed, 11 August 2021 - #4425003

Try this:

1. SLOW DOWN....that is a hard one for me but it truly helps. Do Not make a move until the node(s) fully refresh after making a change.
  2. Close the Preview pane of the nodes - it does not seem to crash nor hang if the Preview is not open. After making your change then click and preview, close it again if you are going to make more changes.

A bit of a pain, slows the workflow down, but I have NOT had a single crash since making these two changes (and I am a FAST clicker and key tapper....)

In French, we're used to say: "Calm down your happiness with the mouse and the keyboard" and indeed: if I'm faster then Poser, but only use "internal actions", such as changing the object selection (by the upper-right buttons or using the hierarchy window): no crash. Yesterday, I've even launched a render before the PoserSurface's preview could refresh itself, no problems.

But if I launch an external script... crash-boom

Which means that I keep my previews dispalyed, so that I know when I can continue without "danger"... ?

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

Revdark ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2021 at 5:44 PM

Same, the crashes in the Material room happen primarily when I am assigning transparency graphics.

While I hate that this is happening, I am quite happy that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2021 at 2:21 PM

I'm not on 12 but I use the Poser preview renderer quite a bit in 11... I disable hardware AO entirely as I find the results in preview not very good, I crank up my preview texture display to 4096 so I can preview my textures, as I modify and work on them in Mudbox and photoshop, accurately without so much more time costly rendering. I'd dump the scene preview AO as I think it's inferior to actual GI occlusion... tends to be splotchy and is just a frill for scene preview, could save you some processing power.

RobZhena ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2021 at 6:43 PM

Wow. Poser 12 sounds lovely.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2021 at 6:51 PM

I hope all those who report crashes here file bug reports, because otherwise the root cause may never be able to tracked down.

!Raya ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 5:02 AM

If Poser 12 is being redistributed as Trial with such issues and crashes it sure might cause that newbies will remove this application short after install encountering heavy crashes! Same like the android apps if it crashes or makes issues it is getting uninstalled and never Installed again. Sure not a very good way to promote Poser as long as it is unstable!

EVargas ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 7:20 AM

In my experience with 12 I did not experience crashes related to the MATERIAL ROOM, but consider that I'm not using dynamics / animation / cycles root so maybe not forcing it too much. One thing, I usually work with the "wireframe" mode in the POSE ROOM, it makes everything faster and maybe helps the system overall.

EVargas.Art

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 5:14 AM

evargas posted at 5:12AM Wed, 18 August 2021 - #4425490

In my experience with 12 I did not experience crashes related to the MATERIAL ROOM, but consider that I'm not using dynamics / animation / cycles root so maybe not forcing it too much. One thing, I usually work with the "wireframe" mode in the POSE ROOM, it makes everything faster and maybe helps the system overall.

I am not seeing any crashes either but then I am working with Superfly and there are some saying this is related to firefly but I am not sure it that covers all reports.

ย 

ย 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -ย  Ryzen 9ย 5900HX,ย with 64 gig ram and 3 TBย  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using anย AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .ย  ย The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

maur_2005 ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 3:08 PM

This is very annoying, I hope they fix it soon.

I am using the latest release of Poser 12 and when I go into Material Room Poser crashes most of the time.

To test it first go to the render options and select the Firefly render mode, then save and go to the Material Room and try to change a texture manually... (at this point poser usually crash).

I have not had this problem in previous versions of Poser, so I hope they fix it soon.

I'm using Poser 12 on Windows 10. My PC set up intel i7, 32GB RAM, nvidia GTX 1070.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 3:51 PM

maur_2005 posted at 3:49PM Wed, 18 August 2021 - #4425581

This is very annoying, I hope they fix it soon.

I am using the latest release of Poser 12 and when I go into Material Room Poser crashes most of the time.

To test it first go to the render options and select the Firefly render mode, then save and go to the Material Room and try to change a texture manually... (at this point poser usually crash).

I have not had this problem in previous versions of Poser, so I hope they fix it soon.

I'm using Poser 12 on Windows 10. My PC set up intel i7, 32GB RAM, nvidia GTX 1070.

I am not saying that it's linked to your problem, but I tried what you described and no crashed, but I remarked this: the preview of the cylinder changes with the hardware shading:

2021-08-18_22h47_55.png

2021-08-18_22h48_58.png

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 5:33 PM

No crash here either, with Firefly render engine selected and changing texture files. I used the preview settings you recommended above, YPhil.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 5:41 PM

Rhia474 posted at 5:40PM Wed, 18 August 2021 - #4425596

No crash here either, with Firefly render engine selected and changing texture files. I used the preview settings you recommended above, YPhil.

The one I'm using is the first one. I unchecked everything till the second one, no crashes... But still, the difference of the preview astonishes me

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

ChromeStar ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 9:39 PM
Online Now!

That shows that hardware shading supports scaling of texture maps, whereas without hardware shading the preview shows the texture map at 100% size regardless of the settings in the shader. Presumably that's for a PoserSurface or PhysicalSurface though, if it was a Cycles surface it would just be white which is also pretty different.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 1:03 AM

ChromeStar posted at 1:03AM Thu, 19 August 2021 - #4425611

That shows that hardware shading supports scaling of texture maps, whereas without hardware shading the preview shows the texture map at 100% size regardless of the settings in the shader. Presumably that's for a PoserSurface or PhysicalSurface though, if it was a Cycles surface it would just be white which is also pretty different.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you so much

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

maur_2005 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 2:44 PM

I tried Y-Phil's preview settings and so far I have had no crashes, but the CPU usage gets too high about 15% exactly as ChromeStar said.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 4:54 PM

If I remember correctly, the preview is based on opengl, which is normally handled by the video card

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2021 at 1:23 AM
Online Now!

maur_2005 posted at 1:19AM Sat, 21 August 2021 - #4425728

I tried Y-Phil's preview settings and so far I have had no crashes, but the CPU usage gets too high about 15% exactly as ChromeStar said.

I found that you can get the CPU usage back down by going on the menu to File/Exit, and then when it asks if you want to save click "Cancel". This somehow stops whatever it is doing, even though you don't actually exit. It's kind of scary, because it only works if you have unsaved changes (otherwise File/Exit will just exit with no chance to cancel), but seems to work reliably as a quirky workaround.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2021 at 6:08 AM

OK, I'm going to express a few thoughts...

I've been a developer since at least september, 1987. A good online friend, who is actually selling G8/G8.1 based characters on Rendo, is trying hard to come back to one of his first loves: Poser. And he told me one day something I had completely forgotten: CuriousLab invented the Material room, and the concept of linking nodes to build up Materials. And it was with... Poser4? Poser5? I don't remember, Bu since them, it has been such a fantastic idea that many other "big" programs copied the idea: 3DS-Max, C4D, Blender, etc...

What I mean is that I've got a real feeling that this part of Poser is really at the point, and crashes are probably the result of some external interference...

Why? Because I know for sure that I can use my Windows for up to 5-6 days in a row, without rebooting, using 1 , 2 sometimes 3 instances of a Java-based, resource hungry program: PyCharm, which I use to develop on an Intel-NUC in my local network.

Most of the time, since one of the last Windows corrections, Poser 12 has stopped being sluggish. Most of the time, but not always. Launch a function/program 1000x with exactly the context will yield the same response. If something changes in the context, it can yield another response, including a crash...

And that's what I experienced last week: 3x on 2 days: a crash, once in the Mat room, and two in the Poses room.

And I know two circumstances in which Poser can crash:

• sometimes, deleting a character/prop, in case of hierarchy, in some old Poser scenes
  • being too fast and launch a Python script (from the Python toolbox window) at a moment when Poser hasn't finished its work

And last week, the 3 times Poser crashed, it wasn't the case, but it was more or less sluggish. Specifically in one of the scene that contains a 2k hdri, a pool, and 16 Vic4's. Poser is able to manage and to render all this in one shot, I know it. One of the crashes I experienced was: Poser was terribly sluggish, and I lost patience. Unfortunately, instead of selecting another part using the parts selector in the Mats room (upper-right corner), my moved my mouse too fast, and the hierarchy window understood that it had to move whatever character/prop under something else => crash.

I've filed a ticket about these 3 crashes, and with the dev I'm in contact with, we came to think of a bad external influence. Now, I'm trying to understand what.

Besides this, we could soon have a new update of Poser, in which the OptiX-based renders could be corrected... Yay...

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2021 at 7:20 AM

You are amazing. Thanks for your methodical work and documenting it here for us.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2021 at 1:03 PM

I hadn't crashed for a while and did several times today. I think I need to clear my cache (edit/general preferences/document/clear cache now) more often. I'd file a report but the circumstances are still too vague for me. One time today, I think it was clicking too fast in the Material Room, but that might be related to cache, too. Otherwise, loving the SF render speeds with the GPU Adaptive renders. Just wish I had more control over the Intel Denoise. I know I can futz with the orig and denoised images in post, but I'm just playing, not making commercial art.

Old lady hobbyist.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2021 at 1:30 PM

VedaDalsette posted at 1:29PM Tue, 24 August 2021 - #4425975

I hadn't crashed for a while and did several times today. I think I need to clear my cache (edit/general preferences/document/clear cache now) more often. I'd file a report but the circumstances are still too vague for me. One time today, I think it was clicking too fast in the Material Room, but that might be related to cache, too. Otherwise, loving the SF render speeds with the GPU Adaptive renders. Just wish I had more control over the Intel Denoise. I know I can futz with the orig and denoised images in post, but I'm just playing, not making commercial art.

If I remember correctly, they have planned to give more control over the Intel Denoise process.

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2021 at 3:00 PM

If I remember correctly, they have planned to give more control over the Intel Denoise process.

NICE!

Old lady hobbyist.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.