Mon, Sep 30, 5:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:22 pm)

Subject: Custom normals in Poser?

Zombie_Source ( ) posted Wed, 15 May 2024 at 3:03 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:58 AM

Is it possible to make correct smoothing in Poser without rebuilding the geometry?

Simple example. Common situation, 2 segments bevel:

FGZ1OUJ7llQn2HDIt5P71fVUwz6GvkRzFBXzKdaW.jpg2Ey1gaFtTsDDCB25uyblJs0KxGGYVZgR3CWkazHv.jpg

Tried anything, but cant import it in Poser with correct normals

SuahYeeUBzQkWDzxjGg22i7XxrsDiJYpSBjcIw2V.jpg

It can be fixed with adding more loops around flat surfaces, but too many models in internet have same 2 segments bevel, and many of them are too complex even to add some loop cuts, so would be better to have other ways

bwldrd ( ) posted Wed, 15 May 2024 at 6:00 PM · edited Wed, 15 May 2024 at 6:03 PM

No idea if it will help, and dependant upon material you can try checking the "normals foward" of the PoserSurface in material room and see if that works.

YSYvW4myQHt0b3dBz5ZLSz2ZWiAL3Il5AVztRuoN.png

Also you could try turn off smoothing in the objects properties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 12:10 AM
Online Now!
Superfly rendering doesn't utilize phong smoothing, if the goal is to add more edge loops, adding more edges might do the trick. Try adding a level or 2 of subdivision in Poser.

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 1:31 AM
Online Now!

After testing, probably adding Subdivision from within Poser won't solve the problem. Depending on how high poly your original objects are to begin with. Going by the images you provided, they're pretty low poly so subdivision in Poser will too radically change the object shapes. You could always mark relevant edges as sharp or hard in your modeling software and add a level of subdivision there,  maintaining the shape, before bringing into Poser. 

I would say that bwldrd's solution of turning off smoothing would be useful for Firefly but has no bearing on Superfly rendering. Same with crease angle. Render smoothing is strictly a Firefly thing. With organic models it's easier to get around this with adding a subdivision level. Low poly hard edge models need a different approach.

If you can't or don't want to manually add loops to smooth out your bevels, you'll need to utilize subdivision externally and manually set what edges you want to retain sharp so that it propagates to your export; apply modifier/smooth group in Blender obj export or baking in hard edges/subdivision in Wings for instance...

Zombie_Source ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 5:24 AM
I see. So nobody asked devs to fix normals for idk how many years? Thats not ok when you download for example any daz model pack, and have to spend months to rework all the props. Even some props from poser libraries sometimes have broken shading

EVargas ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 7:17 AM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 7:17 AM

Hi, I remember I had this problem once when experimenting with a hard surface model. Try setting the "crease angle" to zero. See images below: model in Houdini, model in Poser (crease default), model in Poser (crease 0).

5Vbmol4U8ENGOzCFKjQfdRdod2npr3MeMs2gFqC1.png

8YBbEVXUTlID06ba1t9XG04OYkNlTxqUSJDXLwnT.png

Yd4B40Fx7umV6kRlUTHnHGtDqaOsJ5sqzpJMvfiX.png

EVargas.Art

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:38 AM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:38 AM
Online Now!

Zombie_Source posted at 5:24 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484817

I see. So nobody asked devs to fix normals for idk how many years? Thats not ok when you download for example any daz model pack, and have to spend months to rework all the props. Even some props from poser libraries sometimes have broken shading
It's not any fault of a particular software. It's how these render engines work.

Back in the day, people who created hard edge models for Poser either split edges, added control loops, or utilized smoothing groups to offset the smoothing artifacts that would appear when smoothing was utilized with Firefly. For instance, Stonemason utilized control edges and smoothing groups.

Now, there's Superfly, which doesn't utilize smoothing. Generally any modeler worth his or her salt will model something for Poser with sufficient geometry as to not present faceting at bevel edges.

Did you try adding Poser Subdivision?

Here I created a beveled cube similar to what you show... the loops are perhaps a bit tighter than what you have in your post.

k3WUs3eeXSzodgn67bBtOyOMfGQkqe43ps4gp4ma.png

Added 2 levels of subdivision (object properties tab)...

FOVQqsjKDGTBrttXSd8cVjCAFXvn8oSUJlAog7HR.png

Superfly render result...

wI6eLb5Hbr5KHEQG6ebSxfhjq6CMhMlNz4dP65mm.png

Looks like a beveled cube to me.

?

Zombie_Source ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:42 AM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:48 AM
EVargas posted at 7:17 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484819

Hi, I remember I had this problem once when experimenting with a hard surface model. Try setting the "crease angle" to zero. See images below: model in Houdini, model in Poser (crease default), model in Poser (crease 0).

That would make the problem worse. Yea, flat surfaces would be flat, but round details would be flat too

primorge posted at 8:38 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484825

Subdivision is not solution. Poser works very bad with alot of polygons on the scene, so everything must be as much lowpoly as possible. Plus Poser doesnt have instancing for props, so more geometry eats more memory, and sometimes you wont be able to render the scene just because of too much geometry. Also not many models have topology optimized for subdivision, so again, you'll have to rework the geometry manually

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:44 AM
Online Now!

That's  no way to bevel a cube in the 21st century, EVargas... lol.

EVargas ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:57 AM

😁 Primorje has already described the details of the available options well, I think you just need to evaluate and choose the path. Each case is different.

I agree with you that properties impact the ENTIRE object, it is not selective, in the case I mentioned it was what I wanted at that time. But you can always separate into different objects if that makes your result better. It's a matter of experimenting, each software has qualities and defects, just like people, none are perfect.

Also, I recently needed to use "control edges" in some products, well, it's a common practice, people have been doing this for decades.

EVargas.Art

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:59 AM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 9:01 AM
Online Now!

Zombie_Source posted at 8:42 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484826

EVargas posted at 7:17 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484819

That would make the problem worse. Yea, flat surfaces would be flat, but round details would be flat too

primorge posted at 8:38 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484825

Subdivision is not solution. Poser works very bad with alot of polygons on the scene, so everything must be as much lowpoly as possible. Plus Poser doesnt have instancing for props, so more geometry eats more memory, and sometimes you wont be able to render the scene just because of too much geometry. Also not many models have topology optimized for subdivision, so again, you'll have to rework the geometry manually

Hmmm. I guess none of the presented solutions suit your particular needs. Can't say we didn't try. You'd be surprised how many polys Poser can handle, but then again that's subjective to individual needs I guess. As far as I know there's no way to manipulate the normals other than what's been discussed already. I'm interested to see if someone is aware of another solution.

Take care.

Zombie_Source ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 9:11 AM
primorge posted at 8:59 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484830

You'd be surprised how many polys Poser can handle

i7, RTX2070. With more than ~3-5 millions poly its already hard to move the camera around the scene. With 10-12 million polys - framerate is somewhere around 0,05 frames per second when you try to move the camera or pose a figure. You can easily reach such numbers while building a forest or city etc.

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 9:44 AM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 9:44 AM
Online Now!

I see. Yes I've encountered similar when building a forest of gigantic grass (not one sided geometry) fronds for wee folk style renders. Only solution I know of there is a combination of remove back facing, no hardware shadows, trans% (openGL preview render options) and fast/box tracking display...

Q26SpJG9LZxY8MTcIhbUZtInxH2XSRuX1gh0CGYp.png

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 9:47 AM
Online Now!

Finally, it needs to be remembered that Poser was and still remains primarily a figure studio rendering software. Naturally there's going to be limitations to rendering expansive high poly environments.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 10:31 AM
Site Admin

To be honest, I keep looking at the original images and I don't see much difference. What do you mean by correct normals? Are you saying they're reversed?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 11:43 AM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 11:48 AM
Online Now!
RedPhantom posted at 10:31 AM Thu, 16 May 2024 - #4484839

To be honest, I keep looking at the original images and I don't see much difference. What do you mean by correct normals? Are you saying they're reversed?

Nothing so rudimentary as flipped normals. OP wants to smooth the transition between the curve of the bevel into the flat plane of the face, without additional geometry. There are shading artifacts in his render, which are obvious if you know what they look like, similar to those kind of smoothing artifacts you see in Poser's Firefly smooth shading when there isn't sufficient geometry to reign in the smoothing. OP is looking for a way to manipulate the normals to smooth the transitions.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.