Wed, Oct 2, 10:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 4:54 pm)

Subject: Things you want to play with in Poser...

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 12:38 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 12:38 PM

"Before you import your clothing into Poser, make sure that it fits around the base La Femme OBJ file, in default scale and position. Use your modeler or a third party grouping program to add groups to your clothing before you import."

Guys, I am an utter noobie. I have no idea what this means and how to do it. As in--how to I even model a piece of clothing? Where? That's what I mean--this is what a new content creator would need, I think. If that's not the level we have stuff for, and everyone who get s into Poser content creation already knows how to use whatever modeler they have used, great, I just bow out and conclude that it is what it is.

Thank you.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 12:48 PM

There are also these, which may expand upon some of the previous

Using the Setup Room to Create Clothing

Editing FBM in Place

Editing Existing Joint Controlled Morphs 

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 12:51 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 12:56 PM

Rhia474 posted at 12:38 PM Sat, 14 September 2024 - #4489309

"Before you import your clothing into Poser, make sure that it fits around the base La Femme OBJ file, in default scale and position. Use your modeler or a third party grouping program to add groups to your clothing before you import."

Guys, I am an utter noobie. I have no idea what this means and how to do it. As in--how to I even model a piece of clothing? Where? That's what I mean--this is what a new content creator would need, I think. If that's not the level we have stuff for, and everyone who get s into Poser content creation already knows how to use whatever modeler they have used, great, I just bow out and conclude that it is what it is.

Thank you.

Well that depends on what modeler you are using, at which case you'd import the character's OBJ file into your modeler. Model the clothing around the figure. Those tutorials are above and beyond how to do the rigging, as it's impossible to cover how to model clothing in all the apps that are available.

Be aware, though, that Poser's native scale is teeny tiny. So it would depend on which modeler you are using to determine whether it accepts Poser scale or if you have to scale up when importing and scale back down when exporting.

It's actually not an easy topic to cover in one tutorial series. A lot depends on what modeler or other third party tools are being used.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 1:06 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 1:08 PM

Start with the basics. You can make simple (and even some more complex) props directly in Poser with the grouping tool. Even clothing. It's basic stuff but it teaches you the essentials that apply to everything else you do going forward.

With the grouping tool you can use primitives from the props library to cut various shapes, scale, rotate and move them around to assemble different things, kind of like legos. Export them together and then re-import them as a single object. You can make everything from furniture to basic clothing this way, and never have to leave Poser, at least until it comes time to map and texture them but you could use procedural materials if you really wanted to take the poser purist route.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 1:41 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 1:43 PM

If Rhia wants to learn, it would probably be easier for her to learn a modeling program (or Marvelous Designer). If she wants to start out with something free, perhaps Blender is the way to go. I'm not a Blender fan but I know there are a lot of Blender users that could help her out.

The main reason modeling isn't covered in the Poser tutorials is because there are so many different modelers (Blender, 3DS Max, Modo, LightWave, Cinema 4D, Vue, Silo, ZBrush and so on). Not only that, but someone could be using a version of the software made in 2016, while another could use the latest and greatest. Hence, the reason that Poser tutorials begin with the assumption that the OBJ file is already modeled for the Poser figure. 

Blender might be something for you to check out next, Rhia!  

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 2:05 PM

You guys are very helpful. Appreciate it... I think I understand the limitations better now.  Will return this thread to its original course, again, thanks and sorry for the derail.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 3:22 PM

I understand the frustration, believe me. I was just as overwhelmed when I first started learning this stuff. But there is really a sense of accomplishment when you complete your first piece of clothing, even if it's as simple as a tube skirt! Don't give up. Do some research on the various modelers. I can't remember if there are other free ones besides Blender. Perhaps a new thread can be started for modeler recommendations for a newbie.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 3:51 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 3:59 PM
Forum Coordinator

An easy and 'free' route to cloth modelling is CLO's Jinny: https://connect.clo-set.com/jinny

You can load the .obj file of your figure there autofit  the template garments that come with it, or re-use models in their market place 'CLO.Connect'. There's ample free models available. Clothing can be edited.  

When loading the figure geometry .obj specify the xyz data are in feet and use an 860% scale. 

You can get the garment out by uploading your model to Connect and save a .fbx locally. Poser happily loads the .fbx as a prop, that you can save in the library. In Connect your model appears as a draft that you can delete. Set your figure to invisible before export/upload. The .fbx format is scale aware so you can import in Poser at 100%

Note: The conditions of use of CLO-Connect are a bit peculiar. Be sure to read and understand before you upload anything you are serious about.

The .fbx-es can be textured and decorated in Jinny. 

I have good experiences with this for 'quick and dirty' garments. I stopped saving them in the library, as it is usually easier and faster to make something dedicated for the project and then use it in the cloth room or throw a rig on it in the fitting room and fix thatever poke-thru with the morph brush.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 4:06 PM
Forum Coordinator

I forgot to add some links:

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/95042/antonia-for-jinny-starter-pack

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/95193/jinny-garment-paul-poirot-1920s-dress

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 4:13 PM

NIIIICE suggestion, Frans!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 7:37 PM
Site Admin

Go away for a day and come back to a book. Wow.

This isn't a free tutorial, But it might help you get started with making content. https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/112346/how-to-make-clothing-for-poser-a-step-by-step-guide.

It's been a while since I looked at that but one problem is the modeling portion was a little vague. But it's hard to do a tutorial for that portion since every modeler is different. I too would love to see something along the lines of the donut tutorial for making clothes for poser, including getting it all packaged up correctly for distribution.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2024 at 7:39 PM
Site Admin

@Fverbass, I tried that program but couldn't figure out how to get my clothes out of it. Do you know of a good tutorial that tells how to do that?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 6:34 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 6:41 AM
Forum Coordinator

RedPhantom posted at 7:39 PM Sat, 14 September 2024 - #4489347

@Fverbass, I tried that program but couldn't figure out how to get my clothes out of it. Do you know of a good tutorial that tells how to do that?

1- make the avatar invisible

2- go into studio mode.  To do that click on the camera icon top-right on the screen. 

3- in the studio screen, on the right, there is the export section. At the top you can enter the name. At the base there is a button 'export' and above it there are two checkboxes. The upper of the two has title: 'download fbx', or something like that. (Sorry I do not have my system at hand now). Make sure it is checked and then press 'export'.

The  .fbx file should then be in your downloads folder.  Addiionally a browser window will open on your model in Connect. You can choose there to delete your upload from Connect or to add data and publish.

Note they are still working to find their way with Jinny and there are frequent changes in the interface. Tutorials may therefore soon be outdated.

Key is the export works from the studio mode and not from the file menu.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 7:07 AM
Forum Coordinator

A few more notes about Jinny models:

1- They are tri-mesh and have typical node distance 20 mm. That is perfect for normal loose clothing.  

2 - The uv maps are flat (like pieces of fabric laid out on the tailor's workbench, prior to sering them together). The individual pieces may overlap, in particular if the garment is made of multiple garments, say sweater and pants.

3- The scale of the uv maps for with the same material is constant and coordinates are expressed in size of the fabric sample. Thus not constrained between 0 and 1.

4- The uv islands change with the grading (=fitting) of the garment.  If you let Jinny fit a skirt on a figure that needs 1000 mm of fabric to encompass the hip, the uv map will cover that 1000 mm on the fabric. For a figure with 800 mm hip that will be 800 mm on the fabric. Like in real life, a 25 mm checkboard pattern remains a 25 mm checkboard pattern irrespective of figure size.

So forget morphing etc. Garments are 'cut' to size for the figure.  

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 7:13 AM
Site Admin

Thanks. Hopefully soon I'll have a chance to try it out

nerd ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 3:31 PM
Forum Moderator

Once you get to a clothing mesh in that can be imported. The next challenge will be defining the body part groups. There are tool in Poser that will attempt to do that for you. None produce truly acceptable results. There's an extremely important rule that the automatic stuff doesn't necessarily stick to. The polygon groups can only touch parent to child. Sibling parts can't touch, grand parents can't touch. I'm working up a tutorial on that right now.

There's also a kind of "My first Poser figure" step-by-step here: https://www.renderosity.com/forums/comments/4489210/permalink

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 5:42 PM
Forum Coordinator

Creating groups from the target figure indeed can be a vulnerable process, especially when there are folds in the garment in a location where a group cut is made.

One problem with the fitting room and the setup room automatic grouping is they do not show the proposed grouping and then give the user the option  to edit while things are still simple.

PhilC offered a cunning tool named obj2cr2 that assigned facets to a body part group based on the x and y coordinates,  or rather on the color of an area of an image of the figure profile. Problem is of course it requires section location fore and aft to be the same.

This link leads to a script by yours truly attempting to overcome this restriction by using functions cutting the xyz space until the body part for a facet is found, so if facet is below hip-thigh cutting plane but above thigh-shin cutting plane and the x- coordinate is positive then the facet is assigned to the lThigh group.  In practice this works fine also for figures in A-pose. The cutting planes of course are specific for a figure. The linked script is for Project Evolution.  

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 6:03 PM

I would just note that making textures for existing clothing, making poses, making facial expressions, making characters -- these are all easier than making clothing. And the skills you would develop making textures, including making promo images and submitting to the RO marketplace, are things you would need to make clothes. So that may be a more sensible place for people to start.

Regarding facial expressions, there is a little new trickiness there in LF and Dawn because of the combination of morphs and face chips. When you save an expression you want to do it in a way that doesn't erase a character; that could maybe use a tutorial or something somewhere, or at least an explanation of best practices. (Even better would be functionality in Poser that makes it easy to separate character morphs from expressions.)

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 6:17 PM

I must be missing something somewhere. Where do you find the face chips for Dawn 2?

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2024 at 6:35 PM
Online Now!

Even the original Dawn didn't have face chips.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2024 at 4:59 AM
Forum Coordinator

Facial control is the corner where Ken drives his business: https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/164889/rigcontrol-for-dawn2-p12

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2024 at 12:21 PM
Forum Moderator

Stupid Poser trick #999878: When using the grouping tool to set groups you can select hidden and back facing props by setting the display to wire frame.

So, if you can see the polygon you can select it. In any solid view you can't select polygons you can't see.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2024 at 8:24 PM

Perhaps I misconstrued how Ken's tool works. I purchased but have not yet installed Dawn2.

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2024 at 1:25 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 1:32 AM

blackbonner posted at 6:03 AM Sat, 24 August 2024 - #2988980

I know that many of you are looking over the fence at the Daz Store with the a feeling of envy and hopelessness.

lol this part got me.  But no to DAZ

zwhk6AGxRyORcnPGhDZu1ez1aRz7NoWpVCPom8l6.gif

Previs Dummies 2

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.