Sun, Oct 6, 6:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Applying a decal to procedural texture

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 6:17 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 3:34 AM

file_492474.jpg

Hi folks, banging my head against a brick wall here.  I bought a beautiful Steampunk airship model yesterday and am re-texturing it.  I've made a new texture for the body, based on a procedural copper texture I already had.  I really want to apply a British Union flag and some text over the top of the procedural texture, but am stumped as to how to go about it. 

The decals I want on it are in the picture above

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 6:18 AM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 6:19 AM

file_492475.jpg

The procedural copper texture to which I want to apply the decal is above.  Sorry, couldn't work out how to put two pictures in the same post!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 6:34 AM

Use a texture map instead of the procedural is the only way I could suggest.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 7:46 AM

file_492476.jpg

I'm trying to follow a thread by Baggins Bill over at RDNA, which if I could understand it would do the trick, I'm sure.  First attempt above - I've missed something out, but I think it might be doable.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 7:48 AM

Blender node would be my suggestion.  First input would be your procedural, second input the decal, and the value would be set to 1 with a mask black & white mask of the flag.  Very important that the airship has a UVMap to properly place the Union Jack.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 8:02 AM

Quote - Blender node would be my suggestion.  First input would be your procedural, second input the decal, and the value would be set to 1 with a mask black & white mask of the flag.  Very important that the airship has a UVMap to properly place the Union Jack.

Yes, I think that's the same method I'm trying from BB's thread.  Got the mask and the UV map, just can't get the surface to look right at the moment.  I have to take the dogs for a walk so I'll have a think!  Thanks for the suggestions!

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:23 AM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:25 AM

There are a few ways of doing it.

Try this. And note the the overlay has no filtering to preserve the edges of it. You may have to play with the mixing to get the effect you want. The way it is set up now just gives a basic overlay. The preview will look really odd, but it works.

Full image link:   http://shvrdavid.com/images/overlaymask.jpg

Simple Overlay Setup

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:52 AM

If you can bake that copper material to a diffuse and spec map, maybe you can use a photo editor to paste the decal onto the texture.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 11:02 AM

Wow...LOVE that copper look.  And I'm trying something that probably uses the same process so I'll try the one by shvrdavid and see how that works.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 12:23 PM

file_492483.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys.  This is the best I can do at the moment.  Got a headache with it now!

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 1:38 PM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 1:39 PM

I would recommend using a mask to kill off reflections and/or specular from the painted areas.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 2:57 PM

Quote - I would recommend using a mask to kill off reflections and/or specular from the painted areas.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do (and failing at)!

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 4:01 PM

Material room screenshot?

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 4:24 PM

Use the mask to subract from the specular effect with a blender or math node.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 4:27 PM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 4:28 PM

file_492485.jpg

> Quote -      Material room screenshot?

OK, don't laugh, I almost don't know what I'm doing with material nodes.  The copper material is from a prop I bought here; I love it, but needed the displacment map for the panel details.

The decal and mask were drawn by me.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 4:42 PM

Quote - Use the mask to subract from the specular effect with a blender or math node.

Ah yes.  About half past three.  Eh?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 5:32 PM

OK, you have a mask; it needs to control the reflection value socket and the specular value socket.  Since you already have an AO node attached to the specular value, I'd insert a math node set to multiply (values 1 and 1), fed by the AO node and the mask.  I'll cobble up a pic shortly.

Poser 12, in feet.  

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 5:38 PM

Paul, get hold of my Freebie, Exterminate 2012, and take a look at the NSD in there.

The ID tag does exactly what you're wanting to do, so you should be able to copy it easily enough.

BTW, did you know the term "Union Jack" is actually the correct term for the British flag, despite what some people may tell you?  It's down to an act of Parliament, which declared the "Union Jack" should be regarded as the national flag.  So all those who insist it should only be called that when flown from a ship are wrong, even though they're technically correct.  :)  

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 5:51 PM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 6:00 PM

The new math (multiply) node is bordered in red.  Its values are both set to 1.  Plug the ambient occlusion node into it, and plug the mask inverse (or just use the texture map) into it.  Plug the math node's output into the specular value socket.

Plug the mask into the reflection value socket.

Un-tick the reflect lite mult box.

Try that, and report results, whether good or bad.

(edited to correct errors)

Poser 12, in feet.  

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 6:12 PM

Can't wait to try this! Away from the PC now until tomorrow afternoon but I'll let  know what happens. I'll try your freebie out too Sam!

Paul Francis ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2013 at 5:33 PM

file_492519.jpg

Holy Cow! It worked - I was so happy I had to add some grunge!  Have to try Sam's freebie yet, but Big Thanks to **seachnasaigh** for his suggestions.  Re-rendering my latest pic as I type!

If anyone's wondering, the tradition in the Royal Aeronautical Force is that a vessel is only given a painted hull flag once - they're not allowed to clean or repaint the flag, ever.  Hence the grunge and bird poo.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2013 at 6:51 PM

That looks pretty damn impressive, mate.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.