Wed, Sep 18, 7:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Genesis 3 in Poser (really!)

Vaskania ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 5:09 PM

Forgot to add, you can also scale it independently without requiring a morph or d-former.

-----sig-----
Daz, Blender, Affinity, Substance, Unity, Python, C#

FVerbaas ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 5:14 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2015 at 6:52 AM
Forum Coordinator

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

I exported her as Collada and imported in Pro correctly.

As for bending: I have put het to my usual gym test and to be honest I have seen (much) worse.

file_85d8ce590ad8981ca2c8286f79f59954.pn file_fc221309746013ac554571fbd180e1c8.pnShe has loads and loads of bones which take some time to get used to and become unpractical in the raw format they come in with the collada. In her DS form she has a number of body pose dials for lifting knee and the like for very good reasons. The amount of bones is a bit npractical. If someone would sit down and write a set of master parameters and an injection pose, who nows.

The foot bending strikes as just a little clumsy.  Maybe I just did not get the hang of that one.

Sorry forgot the nudity flag when posting and cannot add that in edit.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 5:57 PM · edited Wed, 24 June 2015 at 6:00 PM

thd777, I did not realize it came with the update, thanks for letting me know.

erogenesis, Fbx works fine to get the character into Poser but all you basically get is a single map FBX character, literally, because that is what FBX gives you.

Genesis3_Female.jpgThe bone structure in Genesis 3 reminds me of characters from other apps not associated with Poser, or previously Studio. I have rigged more than a few characters like this, but it can be a daunting task to set up all the dependencies depending on the program you rig it for. I can understand why they did it this way, it adds a lot to what you can do to the mesh. 3D weight mapping and advanced scaling on the limbs and joints that have multiple bones, which is probably the biggest addition over Genesis 2.

The blend shape setup in the head is cool, but even thou it adds some to what you can do it is still partially limited by the dependencies of those bones. Not a problem if you know how to setup and edit blend shape faces thou..........

Would I use this Figure in Houdini? I might just to see what it takes to convert this rigging to muscle rigging in Houdini.... Probably wont be too hard to do because I use similar bone structures in some characters and can just modify and go. It would probably work good in Blender and many other apps as well.

Would I want this Figure in Poser? No, not really.... Looks to me like the division between Studio characters in Poser are about done. The division bell has rung folks......

Someone may get it to work in Poser but it will probably be a resource hog due to the differences in the programs. 

It works fine in Studio, so I will just fire up Studio if I want to play around with it. Buy a whole new wardrobe for it? Not a chance. It does not impress me enough to warrant that.

Just for the record, you can rig characters like this in Poser. But it is done differently. V4~WM and Antonia~WM have ghost bones, V7 has a lot of them but the are inline for the most part. There were a lot of people that did not like the fact that the 2 Poser Place weight mapped characters had ghost bones to improve the rigging and now that Daz has done basically same thing, people are rushing to get it into Poser. I have been using facial rigging for years as well, nothing really new there either.

Does any of this strike anyone as odd? It strikes me as odd.

Especially since many people shunned ghost bones in 2 figures right off the bat and I don't see anyone shunning Genesis 3 for it........

Can't imagine why.............

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Zev0 ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 6:49 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2015 at 5:49 PM

[edited by request]

My Renderosity Store

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 7:30 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2015 at 5:48 PM

[edited by request]

The extra bones in the limbs function similar to how a ghost bone does as well. 

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 9:39 PM

It Almost works in Poser.  It loads fast, and what does work, works well and fast.  It would be a big improvement on Genesis 1 and 2.

Any insights from looking at the cr2 in the auto-adapted folder as to what is broken?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

erogenesis ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 4:39 AM

ah so it does work! I wonder what you guys did differently...! That collada import is pretty good!

Anyway thanks guys. Don't worry I was just helping out some friends that were a bit frustrated. I'll direct them to here.

In the meanwhile for the hell if it I ran my Project E through Zbrush:

display_2627003.jpgdisplay_2627004.jpgcheers guys!

"The fool is not the one that does something foolish, but the one that does nothing at all."

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 5:01 AM
Online Now!

ah so it does work! I wonder what you guys did differently...! That collada import is pretty good!

Anyway thanks guys. Don't worry I was just helping out some friends that were a bit frustrated. I'll direct them to here.

In the meanwhile for the hell if it I ran my Project E through Zbrush:

display_2627003.jpgdisplay_2627004.jpgcheers guys!

Now that is what I call an expression, even if I had fallen for V7 I would still hang on until I can get PE into my runtime, in fact not just V7 any new figure really.  Waiting with baited breath and credit card in hand.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

seeker ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 6:59 AM

file_3644a684f98ea8fe223c713b77189a77.jpThis is the best I could get. The face expressions do not work. Since that's 99.9 percent of the reason I liked G3 and it doesn't look that it will ever work, I'm done with her.

It's such a shame too, she is lovely.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 7:08 AM
Online Now!

file_3644a684f98ea8fe223c713b77189a77.jpThis is the best I could get. The face expressions do not work. Since that's 99.9 percent of the reason I liked G3 and it doesn't look that it will ever work, I'm done with her.

Bit of a shame to give up so soon as you have got this far.  No sure why the expressions do not work but I am sure they will at some point.  It will take a while for vendors to get used to the figure but it may have the potential for some good expressions

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

seeker ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 7:36 AM

Bit of a shame to give up so soon as you have got this far.  No sure why the expressions do not work but I am sure they will at some point.  It will take a while for vendors to get used to the figure but it may have the potential for some good expressions

I don't think that it will work because of the way the expressions are handled. As far as I understand it, poser cannot handle the original rigging and the expression are handled with bones. I had to convert G3 to TriAx and that wipes out the expressions even within DS. I really do hope there will be a solution, Daz can have my money then.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 8:09 AM

ebot

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 8:17 AM · edited Thu, 25 June 2015 at 8:19 AM
Online Now!

I don't think that it will work because of the way the expressions are handled. As far as I understand it, poser cannot handle the original rigging and the expression are handled with bones. I had to convert G3 to TriAx and that wipes out the expressions even within DS. I really do hope there will be a solution, Daz can have my money then.

You can read this entry from the person that designed Genesis 3: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/845208/

If the figure stayed triax, the face rig would not have happened. That's why Dual Quaterion skinning is used instead. If you think using the DSON importer was slow for some users, try adding all those weighted bones. The solution to this is not DAZ's to make. They've already said they've taken the importer as far as they wish to take it. Add Dual Quaternion skinning to your Poser wishlist.

seeker ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 9:11 AM

You can read this entry from the person that designed Genesis 3: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/845208/

If the figure stayed triax, the face rig would not have happened. That's why Dual Quaterion skinning is used instead. If you think using the DSON importer was slow for some users, try adding all those weighted bones. The solution to this is not DAZ's to make. They've already said they've taken the importer as far as they wish to take it. Add Dual Quaternion skinning to your Poser wishlist.

I also think that it's SM that has to create support for the new technologies or take another path and divide us from DAZ. I don't think that the content's creator should limit the innovation of it's models to conform to other software. I hope there won't be a divide eventually.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 11:10 AM

I was just looking at the bone setup WandW posted. Does she have a heel bone? Whatever the hell for?

You don't think it would be nice to have a figure that gets a nice, arched foot? I sure do ;). I'm tired of flat feet. LOL

Laurie

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 2:01 PM
Forum Coordinator

Gym Body bending test continued:

On the left, bald, Genesis3female posed in DA and transferred to Poser as .obj.

On the right, Gen3Female exported as Collada and posed in Poser to same pose. (hair and EZSkin added also)

We see the effect of the bending method of DS in the hip/thigh and more prominently in the knee. Where the Poser bent knee has the characteristic 'straw' look, the DS bent knee is much better, but to my taste maybe even a tad too far in the other direction of keeping the thigh-bone side straight. 

file_149e9677a5989fd342ae44213df68868.pn 

One objective of the development was to bring a transportable figure. I think they succeeded there. Just curious if in any way one could fit-brush a few JCM's to take out the biggest differences.

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2015 at 12:06 PM

Pinging for a certain answer and procedure to import (or export) for use in Poser.

seeker ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2015 at 12:33 PM

Pinging for a certain answer and procedure to import (or export) for use in Poser.

If you want a quick way to use it in poser without the new rigging just follow this tutorial from Midnight Stories in the Daz section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHx4DqAFeA

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2015 at 2:51 PM

If you want a quick way to use it in poser without the new rigging just follow this tutorial from Midnight Stories in the Daz section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHx4DqAFeA

Midnight Stories is amazing!  I think I will drop by his store after I get sweetheart to release some new modeling funds so I can try this out.  Thank you, Seeker!

FVerbaas ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2015 at 4:05 PM
Forum Coordinator

If you have Pro you may want to export the figure from DS in Collada and import the collada in Poser. Worked all right for me.

Byrdie ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2015 at 7:49 PM

I tried that and got nearly nowhere. Well, it resulted in something I could pose without breaking in all sorts of bizarre ways. But no morphs that were accessible, they looked to be all stuck inside the head. Of course that may be because I'm practically a Collada virgin. ;-)  So how did you do it?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 3:04 AM

I was just looking at the bone setup WandW posted. Does she have a heel bone? Whatever the hell for?

You don't think it would be nice to have a figure that gets a nice, arched foot? I sure do ;). I'm tired of flat feet. LOL

Laurie

Arched feet can be modeled.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 4:33 PM · edited Sat, 27 June 2015 at 4:37 PM

I guess this is the colada where talking about .it is a app right ?

https://www.khronos.org/collada/

ok where's the down load link hiding at ? 

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

AetherDream ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 4:51 PM

Here, Boni

GENESIS 3 Technology Advantages

Odd though that there are almost no demonstrations. They are not proving the benefits, IMO - just claiming benefits.

For example - for all the supposed facial expressions possible, I'd like to see some. They show one.

Users are posting more of the same vacant stare I know how to make with V3.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/74652

LOL!

"People who attempt define what art is or is not, are not artists"---Luminescence

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 5:11 PM · edited Sat, 27 June 2015 at 5:12 PM
Forum Coordinator

I tried that and got nearly nowhere. Well, it resulted in something I could pose without breaking in all sorts of bizarre ways. But no morphs that were accessible, they looked to be all stuck inside the head. Of course that may be because I'm practically a Collada virgin. ;-)  So how did you do it?

She will have to do without morphs I am afraid. I read somewhere DAZ does not export them in Collada. The word 'morph' does not appear in the .dea file. Fortunately, for variations in the face geometry DAZ decided to apply bones instead of morphs. This is nothing new. It was done before in Antonia WM and V4WM.  I recall some people ar PosePlace expermented with bones used to mimick the bulging of muscles etc. DAZ took this up now and made a sort of mime of the face muscle sctucture.

Use the face cam and experiment. Go easy on the dials. You can use rotations, translations and set sensitivity a factor 10 down. Making your own expressions and face morphs was never easier. You may want to make them master dials.

The good thing is of course this method has better promises for being portable between figures than copying morphs, which is very sensible to accurate alignment between donor and receiver. With the weight map brush you can tweak the extent and distribution of the 'morph'. 

I have been playing around with her for a few days now and in all I must respectfully disagree with those who say that Genesis3 is a threat for Poser. I think Genesis3 may well turn out to be one of the best things that has come to the Poserverse inthe past years. The collada imported figure bends neatly and it is a perfect base for tinkering, and tinkering figures is what Poser is good at. 

I see a small posse of enthusiasts extend this helper bone system to improve handling of breasts, add body variations, muscle action, etc.Others developing the master dials andt hen, new use for PoserPlace's Outfitter, to inject in Genesis3.    

The future of the Poserverse looks brighter now. 

Zev0 ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 5:23 PM · edited Sat, 27 June 2015 at 5:26 PM

How are users going to get vendor content to work if A - vendors do not include Poser support, and B - users refuse to do product conversions themselves by opening Studio if A applies? I would not bet on Genesis 3 for Poser. If Genesis 2 wasn't of any real interest and that included Poser support (if it was we would have seen significant revenue increase with duel support), what chances are there that users will automatically go out of their way to get Genesis 3 to work which involves more work? Expecting users to get that involved just for content compatibility is not really a viable solution. Somebody will have to create a bridge to do all the work for them if she is to be used on a mass scale in the Poserverse. Honestly, I do not see that happening. Most will just use Studio in order to use her.

My Renderosity Store

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 5:31 PM

Based in how Genesis 3 is set up, Daz may not want it to work in Poser. Just as Zev said, most will probably just open up Studio to use it. Including myself.

obm890 ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2015 at 2:28 AM

After some very encouraging initial tests, I'm thinking I might just be able to use her directly in MODO801. Cooking with gas... or dual quaternions or something. Gotta love them industry standards...

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2015 at 9:06 AM
Forum Coordinator

Based in how Genesis 3 is set up, Daz may not want it to work in Poser. Just as Zev said, most will probably just open up Studio to use it. Including myself.

That is one way to put it to use, and a totally legitimate one at that.  For me, I have no affinity or feeling whatsoever with DS. My attempts to make somethng with that program of my liking ended in disaster. My bad, I know, but that's how it is.

I do not see her as 'Genesis3 in Poser'. For me she is just a base figure provided at zero cost.

The figure performs well in Marvelous Designer so (for me) clothing is not an issue. She borrows cuttings from the MD Avtar's locker without conversion problems and has animated breasts so I can un-stress the fabric before exporting. I have my own designs and there is a large base of free items for MD so clothing of all styles at hand. Transferring hair is not a problem either. I have not yet found the way in DS to let her use Genesis or Genesis2 textures, so I'm a bit limited there. However, with DS interface t me being a big bag of mysteries I think I am overlooking something.

On the technical side as a figure she shows what can be achieved in Poser with a figure without JCM's or magnets using just simple bone weights. This is a huge step-up from the laborious and notoroously opaque DSON thing. Imported figure is pretty much Poser only and a perfect base for further development or an example for new ones. 

First work for me is to find out how to add thigh and butt helpers and further breast control.

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2015 at 5:23 PM

Before I'll give DS another look it needs to aquire at least two things:

• The ability to clothify our own meshes in the cloth system.
  • A built-in Morph-Brush that works in 'Posed' mode and is at least as good as (but hopefully better than) the one Poser has.

The lack of those two things just make DS feel like a pain in the arse to me, especially those stupid long-winded deformers it uses.  I can hardly believe how long it's taking them to get a morph brush in there, it's totally baffling.  But yup, with those two things in place I'd at least entertain the idea of sitting down to it and giving it another chance.  Not having a morph brush in DS, is a bit like telling a contortionist to do their thing wearing metal armour instead of a latex bodysuit or whatever.  And having a cloth system that doesn't allow you to clothify your own meshes, is a bit like expecting everyone in the world to buy their clothes from the same designer (in this case Optitex or whatever they're called).

We can use conforming clothing, but I want dynamic, this is 2015 and cardboard dresses just don't cut it anymore!
If Richard is watching this thread, I hope he'll pass it on to DAZ.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2015 at 5:46 PM

Before I'll give DS another look it needs to aquire at least two things:

• The ability to clothify our own meshes in the cloth system.
  • A built-in Morph-Brush that works in 'Posed' mode and is at least as good as (but hopefully better than) the one Poser has.

And dynamic hair; Carrara has supurb dynamic hair, and I'm puzzled why it was never incorporated into Studio...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2015 at 5:50 PM

You're kidding, surely, DS has two superb hair plugins available for it now :-)

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2015 at 6:02 PM

Let's keep this on the compatibility testing with Poser. We have an in depth G3 thread in the DS forum. Thank you.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

R_Hatch ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2015 at 12:31 AM

After some very encouraging initial tests, I'm thinking I might just be able to use her directly in MODO801. Cooking with gas... or dual quaternions or something. Gotta love them industry standards...

Please do tell - I would actually RATHER have a fully-functional Genesis 3 in Modo than Poser (of course, I'd love both). I can't come to grips with DAZ|Studio's UI enough to do more than utility work in it.

jleeper ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2016 at 8:17 AM · edited Mon, 18 January 2016 at 8:18 AM

WandW posted at 9:11AM Mon, 18 January 2016 - #4209515

Over at the Poser Forum at DAZ, adzan has Genesis 3 working pretty well in Poser, but I can't figure out what he is doing differently from me.  He simply created Posre CFs in Studio 4.8 and it loaded right up into PP2014.  I tried doing that, even installing 4.8, but no difference.  I am using Game Dev, so perhaps that might make a difference?

I haven't yet ried Collada or fbx, EG.....

Been there done that, got the T-shirt. Not sure what adzan is doing other than loading the figure, but that was the first thing I tried with G3. The figure loads great, but you can't do anything with it. When you apply a pose to it or modify a joint parameter it spreads the figure all over the scene.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2016 at 10:42 AM

jleeper posted at 11:35AM Mon, 18 January 2016 - #4249849

Been there done that, got the T-shirt. Not sure what adzan is doing other than loading the figure, but that was the first thing I tried with G3. The figure loads great, but you can't do anything with it. When you apply a pose to it or modify a joint parameter it spreads the figure all over the scene.

I never figured out what adzan was doing, either. If it is converted to Tri-Ax rigging in Studio and brought in it works, except for the facial Bones. Willdial has the face bones working, and is looking at how to distribute the modified rig; more at this thread here:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2897071

I conferred with Cage the other day and offered willdial some advice, so we'll see...

adzan ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2016 at 4:47 PM · edited Mon, 18 January 2016 at 4:49 PM

WandW posted at 4:32PM Mon, 18 January 2016 - #4249883

jleeper posted at 11:35AM Mon, 18 January 2016 - #4249849

I never figured out what adzan was doing, either. If it is converted to Tri-Ax rigging in Studio and brought in it works, except for the facial Bones. Willdial has the face bones working, and is looking at how to distribute the modified rig; more at this thread here:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2897071

I conferred with Cage the other day and offered willdial some advice, so we'll see...

lol, I have no idea., it was working quite well for me for a little while. WandW and I both tried using different version of the DSON Poser importer and the newest version defiantly makes the import worse and broke a few things.

I don't use DS or Poser very often at the moment but G3F of G3M certainly don't work in Poser since I updated to the newest DS and the DSON Poser Importer.

Which for me is really annoying because G3M is so much nicer the G2M - i hated G2Ms boobies lol and I never liked M4.

If i use G3M now, I just pose him in DS and import an obj file in Poser Pro 11 - he looks so lovely in Poser, whimper sob - (as in cry not the other meaning lol)

Sadly I'm still waiting for a modern Poser native male figure that I actually like, grumble grumble ;)

adzan ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2016 at 5:48 PM · edited Mon, 18 January 2016 at 5:48 PM

adzan posted at 5:43PM Mon, 18 January 2016 - #4249983

Sadly I'm still waiting for a modern Poser native male figure that I actually like, grumble grumble ;)

oppsie, missed the time allotted to edit my post.

on the topic of new Poser figures I like the look of Venus & Orion by Ambientshade, I hope we get the opportunity to purchase them at a later date

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.