Wed, Oct 2, 1:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / OT

Welcome to the OT Forum

(Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:07 am)

This forum is a place to relax, unwind,and
discuss topics which may not be appropriate for the other forums.

Remember to stick to discussing issues, not members.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

We want this forum to be enjoyable for everyone.
Please read and understand the TOS before posting.

Subject: Bombs in Madrid

Estruch ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 7:15 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 1:24 AM

file_102367.jpg

In my country, Spain, they have exploded pumps and they have died 200 persons. The motive the support of Spain to United States in the war of Iraq. Today there are elections. I have voted by a pacifist party.

Phate_ ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 7:43 AM

no hay partidos pacificos en este pais : (

SWAMP ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 8:06 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

My thoughts are with the people of Spain in this time of sorrow and grief....I feel overwhelming anger. The senseless killing and hatefulness will never end... It's what man does best. Peace to you,SWAMP

Estruch ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 8:32 AM

no hay partidos pacificos en este pais Falso

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:23 AM

Phate & Estruch, this is an english speaking forum. Marv pulls out a soap box from nowhere and stands on it If you have something to say, say it in English! I personally believe the use of non english text on an english speaking forum to be the height of bad manners. And whilst I am on the subject, is it really necessary to bring politics into a forum which is in essence a place to discuss Poser. I have friends in spain myself, one of whom I was talking to last night on MSN, my heart goes out to them, but this does not belong here. Marv steps of soap box, and walks away muttering to himself

i7 5930K 3.60Ghz | ASUS X99-S Motherboard | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM | NVIDIA TitanX | Antec 1000w Power supply | Windows 10 x64 Home

PheonixRising ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:26 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

I was reading about the attack on the 11th. It is a horrible problem. I am sorry Spain has been targeted. I hope that through such grief, our contries will become closer.

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:30 AM

this is an english speaking forum Is that something new in the TOS? My sympathies go out to those in Spain ... it is a very sad event indeed.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:36 AM

There is no rule stating that you have to speak english anywhere. In the UK or anywhere in the world. But good manners are good manners, if you among people that don't speak your language, you endavour to use theirs, if you can. Estruch can, he chose not to, that offends me. I have nothing more to say on the matter, it's my opinion, take it or leave it.

i7 5930K 3.60Ghz | ASUS X99-S Motherboard | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM | NVIDIA TitanX | Antec 1000w Power supply | Windows 10 x64 Home

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:52 AM

marvlin, you're post is the one here that shows bad manners. That's my opinion. Take it or leave it. For the rest, there is already a thread in the OT forum about Madrid's slaughter. @Estruch : vaya con dios, amigo.

PheonixRising ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:54 AM

OT for a minute with apologies. (rephrasing more gently) Too many are worrying about things that are none of their business like choice of language, topics and so on. Do you have any idea what has happened there..? And you call it "politics". Compassion would be better manners. I am really disturbed that anyone would actually tell someone what language to speak. And I think we can all make rrom for one less "freebie/how to" post every now and then. Topic fanatics are ruining this forum.

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Estruch ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:55 AM

I write in englsih in this forum. But I received in spanish a bad reply. I write what I vote party pacifist, and received one reply. "Not exist pacifist partys in my country". I respond: "is not true". OK? Marvlin My english is not good, but I make an effort in the English. Renderosity is for all the world.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:57 AM

Then I'll stay away! What happened in spain was the murder of 100's of innocent people, they didn't deserve it and as I have already said it is a horrific thing to have happened. But it is politics, the aim of the terrorists was to turn the people against the government. The terrorists want the people to spain to blame the current government of spain for all those that have been murdered, based on the fact that if spain hadn't assisted in iraq, this atrocity wouldn't have happened. The opposition party in spain has pledged to remove all spanish armed forces from iraq if they come into power. As a result of this murder of inocents, it looks like public opinion will be swayed towards the opposition party. The opposition party wins, the spanish suppoet is withdrawn, al qaeda have got their way. Yes my friend, this is politics, if you think it isn't you need to wake up and see what is really going on in the world.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 9:58 AM

"I write in englsih in this forum. But I received in spanish a bad reply. I write what I vote party pacifist, and received one reply. "Not exist pacifist partys in my country". I respond: "is not true". OK? Marvlin My english is not good, but I make an effort in the English" Good point I apologise, but please keep these things out of the forum.

PheonixRising ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:11 AM

You need to mind your own business. You are not a moderator in this forum. If you don't like it go to a moderator listed above. It isn't your place to hound someone with these personal beliefs of yours.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:18 AM

Agreed! I am not a moderator, but this is what happens when you bring world affairs onto a forum that is a bout 3d art. I have seen this sort of thing before on many forums, what was a mature, helpful and enlightening place to visit turns into a hotbed of debate and insults. It appears on this occasion my attempt to avoid this from happening has actually inflamed the situation, And their was a situation developing as you can see from "Phates post". I will as you say "Mind my own business", but I stand by what I said, keep this forum what it is and lets not turn it into a podium for political rhetoric.

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:23 AM

ay, bastante..lo siento que las muertas en Espa (sorry, can't find the ascii value for the lower case)..y para nuestras parte en este, perdoname..granted, worse Spanish than usual, but de la corazon..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Phate_ ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:36 AM

I am english, I live in Spain and thought it would be easier for Estruch to understand, sorry. Estruch, this porbably would have been better in the OT forum. Would you mind telling me wich parties are the peaceful ones? please dont say PSOE

Estruch ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:45 AM

I only vote marginal partys.

Phate_ ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:45 AM

strange fact (probably not a coincidence either): The attack took place on th eleventh of march, 911 days after the september eleventh bombings

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:46 AM

This post is moved to OT as doesn't really deal with poser. To Estruch please post future topic to the OT forum. I am sorry for the lose to your people we too have suffered losses here in the US. So can feel your pain.

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

jchimim ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:54 AM

"The attack took place on th eleventh of march, 911 days after the september eleventh bombings" Not to nit-pick, but 911 days after September 11th, 2001 would have been March 10th... (Did the date addition in Excel.)

JettBoy ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 10:55 AM

El gran estado de Tejas desea su naci y puebla toda nuestra condolencia, mis amigos. Sorry if that's not quite right, my Spanish is not very good (actually Texas/Mexican border Spanish), but the sentiment is the same.

Jackson ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 11:01 AM

I normally don't like to get into these things, but this topic is close to my heart. marvlin is right about one thing: if the people of Spain change their vote because of terrorist acts, the terrorists win. When terrorist tactics succeed, terrorsits will continue to use them and kill more innocent people. The only way to stop terrorism is to fight back, not give in.

Phate_ ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 11:06 AM

lol did you count the leap year extra day?

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 11:45 AM

"If you have something to say, say it in English!" Porque razon estoy obligado a escribir en Ingles???, bueno continuo en Ingles... English is a language that many people in the world understand, nothing more, is a way of comunication between different people, if you don't know English then use another popular language as Spanish or French or your own language. In the past was Latin then French, today is English, tomorrow who knows?... Estruch: I am with you, is a shame that the irresponsability or corruption of the goverments that involves us in wars that don't belongs to us, make enemies of who are not our enemies, they can be their enemies but not ours. If you want war then do it by yourself and die yourself, is not our problem, we love and want to live in peace!

Stupidity also evolves!

Estruch ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 11:56 AM

Why to the governors does not occur a stick them each one so that they stick and they are killed, leaving us to the rest of the Humanity peacefully?

Barbarellany ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 12:10 PM

First, I grieves me to witness the terrible loss of the Spanish people. I also personally apologise on behalf of stupid official US comments along the lines of " Now they see that all europe must get on the US anti-terrorist wagon." Yes, terrorism effects us all and something must be done to stop it, but the US way is not the only way. Secondly, It seems to me the language issue is exactly the type of thing that gives rise to hate and the attacks. This is an international community even though the site is based in the US. I was able to get the gist of what was written and oddly enough, I could have used a translator from the web if I was really lost. Yes, it is deemed impolite to speak a different language in a conversation that most of the speakers are speaking one language, but Marvlin... Do you speak the native language when you go to non English speaking countries or do you expect them to speak your language? When you go to a non english website to you participate in their language? This thread was about the tragedy in Spain. I'm sorry it became a trivial rehash of speak "English in America".

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 12:18 PM

Estruch wrote: "Why to the governors does not occur a stick them each one so that they stick and they are killed, leaving us to the rest of the Humanity peacefully? " Because then we would be governed by a person who has proven he is more violent or a bigger or stronger than his opponents. Our leaders would not be in place because of their leadership skills and their desire to do good for the people they represent they would be there because the were able to destroy their opponents through violence. The scenario you described is the exact type of world the terrorists want, where Might is right, and you don't get your own way because it is the proper thing to do and has been debated maturily, you get your own way because you killed your opponent with a big stick. Fear is a powerful weapon and can be very effective in changing peoples opinions of what is right. Indeed, even if it scares people into not publicly denouncing terrirism for fear of reprisals it has been effective. Our leaders our human just like you and I, they make mistakes just like you and I, but they are put there through democratic process, based on their policies and what they promise to do for the well being of a nation. it will be a sad day when a government is ellected because if the population didn't vote for them they would be bombed mercilessly untill they conformed to the will of the terrorists. We need to keep things in perspective and see things as they really are, think about the implications of what we say and do, more importantly what we dont say and do, because our children will be the ones to suffer tommorrow for our actions today.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 12:24 PM

Ref: Barbarellany's post. First of all I am british not american. Secondly, I do try and speak the local language when I am abroad, I think it is only polite and feel it would be arrogant to assume that I can speak english when in somebody else's country. My original post was suggesting that the poser forum was not the right place for this thread and as you have said, you can use a translater, which I did. In fact I have translated every piece of spanish posted here today. I have no problem debating this issue now it is in the proper thread, indeed if I'd wanted to talk politics I would have come to this thread in the first place, but I didn't I want to talk poser, this is my point.

Estruch ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 12:35 PM

In Spain we have forty years of terrorism with a called group ETA that wants the independence of Euskadi. In fact the Spaniards we are all very burned by this subject, had a civil war (1936-1939) very hard, forty years of facist dictatorship (Franco friend of Eisenhower), crimes of State, and now we are all traumatized. In the USA we do not know yes what is a facist dictatorship. Living scared every day, plenty of fear. Many Spanish politicians reproach to Aznar their support to Bush, leaves from an anti-american feeling comes before from the saying, the support of the White House to Franco. When the 11 S touched to us very close by, we know what is to under go the terrorism and the terror.

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 12:57 PM

There's another way for the leaders: Put them in an asylum in an island surrounded by walls and sharks, so they can play there with their favourite toys and could not harm anybody no more! (Idea from Pink Floyd). We don't need leaders, goverment, politicians!, enough with our own problems.

Stupidity also evolves!

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 1:04 PM

ref: Estruch. I am not saying you don't. Your country has suffered as have many others eg Rwanda where 1000's of women and children were butchered because of their ethnicity, all over the world innocents are killed and slaughtered in the name of religion, race and the pursuit of power and wealth. I can honestly say that here in the UK we have so far had it relatively easy. I am merely saying that as long as people vote and protest on real issues and not knee jerk reactions which play into the hands of these murderers, because it is easier to give in to fear than fight for what is right then we will win. Your people are strong, they have big hearts and whenever I have visited your country they have been friendly and full of the joy of life. I would hate to see your country become radicalised and play into the hands of the terrorists, which to my mind is what I saw when protestors were blaming the government for having the balls to stand up and be counted when the the time was right. As Edmund Burke once said in 1770, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" He also said "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle" I think, that says it all!

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 1:38 PM

And who define who are the "bad men" and who are the "good men"?

Stupidity also evolves!

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 1:42 PM

Well if you need to ask that mate, you are part of the problem.

JettBoy ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 2:15 PM

Don't be ridiculous; everyone who's anyone knows the 'bad' men have brown skin, facial hair and funny accents. Haven't you figured out that 'we' is good and 'they' is baaaad?!

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 2:32 PM

Thanks, now I know that I am a "good man", I have white skin!

Stupidity also evolves!

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 2:43 PM

Okay then, if you insist. The good men: 1/ Governments that support free speech, human rights, don't go round murdering innocent civilians and flying jet liners into high rise buildings. 2/ Governments who despite having a few people within their ranks who are corrupt, fact of life they are as I say human like the rest of us, on the whole the majority of the government want what is best for it's people and are upstanding citizens. 3/ Governments who provide millions in aid to 3rd world countries every year but don't make a song and dance about it, so most of us don't even know they have done it. 4/ Governments who try to build a free society where no matter what colour, race or religion you are you can live safely and without fear of harm. The Bad guys: 1/ Organisations who are non-tolerant of anybody else's point of view. 2/ Organisations who can't get into a power through democratic means, so seek to bully, murder, divide and undermine the economies of the nations thay want to rule untill they destroy the goverment and install their own totalitariun regime. 3/ Organisations who can't fight the military or goverment head on so murder defenseless civilians, creating rumours and discontent among the populace. 4/ Organisations who seek to destroy democracy and free speech, eg Taliban. 5/ Organisations who will render the population ignorant through poor or biased education so they are more easily manipulated. 6/ Organisations who murder 200 innocent civilians going about their business injuring 100's more. In recent history every time there has been a military engagement, involving coalition forces they have sought to minimise civilian casualities, they didn't succeed, but when you are fighting men who position military hardware in populated areas and attack from that position who is to blame for their deaths. Most of these terrorist atrocities are supposed to be in retaliation for the ivasion of irag/afganistan etc etc, but they are not aimed at military targets they are directly aimed at civilians and timed for maximum fatalities. I would suggest it is very clear who the bad men are! Our governments are the lesser of 2 evils by a very long way.

JettBoy ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 2:44 PM

My Irish/American Indian heritage has left me with skin that's sort of beige, so I guess I qualify as a whitey in the technical sense, anyway. As it stands; I DO have facial hair, a funny accent (that would be 'Texan'), I don't love Jesus and I'm of the opinion the current U.S. government is a collection of some of the worst drooling imbeciles to have ever peed in the gene pool. I also think the war in Iraq was a stupid idea and that trying to drive terrorism out of the middle east is tantamount to having a screen door on a submarine.

I wonder if I'm one of the good guys?

pierrecolat ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 3:41 PM

Based on marvlins guide above I'm afraid I can not find one government anywhere in the world that qualifies as "good Guys" However the "bad guy" criteria describes the "coalition" very well.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 4:01 PM

Let me ask all you people that critisize your own governments. Who do you want in power? What is the answer? You don't like what we have, what do you want? What party or way of life do you think is the answer? I hear a lot of critisism, but no alternatives offered. To coin another phrase, "It is easier to point a critical finger than to offer a helping hand".

Estruch ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 4:07 PM

News in Spain The Popular Party are lost the elections. Its support to George Bush has paid with the defeat.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 4:13 PM

No the innocent murder of 200 people has lost the popolar party the election. Before the bombings they were ahead in the polls and looked set to win, despite the bush association, after the bombing it was a landslide against them. This is a victory for terrorism and I hope to god not a sign of things to come. This is a sad day for democracy.

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 4:34 PM

Still waiting for answers to post 40. It's very easy to make fun of and critisize but not so easy to provide solutions to these problems. Every time you support an anti-government movement of any kind you should really give some thought about what will replace it, if you get your on way.

Phate_ ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 4:52 PM

its pathetic that PSOE should win thanks to the 11-m bombings

marvlin ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 5:03 PM

Phate, are you saying it is a pathetic suggestion that the bombings are a the reason they won. Or that it is pathetic that they were able to win as a result of the bombings? I am not making fun of you mate, I realise there is a language issue here and I am merely trying to understand your point of you :o) I value all opinions, whether I choose to take them on board of coarse id my affair, but that's what free speech and democracy is all about.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 6:04 PM

There is a fairly good discussion of this (the bombings and their effect on the elections) over in this thread on Metafilter.

It's unfortunate how it all happened, certainly the loss of life sucks. What is hard to imagien is hoe the Spanish who already know that appeasement is useless thanks to their experiences with ETA would now cave in to the obvious attempts by Al Queda to dictate their national policy.

Pacifism won't work. It never has.

pierrecolat ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 6:04 PM

Who do you want in power? A leader that represents the people What is the answer? What is the question? You don't like what we have, what do you want? Peace What party or way of life do you think is the answer? Honesty Let me ask you a question marvlin. I guess by implication you are not critical of your leader Tony Blair so do you really believe that he is an honest and good leader that represents the people of the UK and the history of the Labour movement?

Phate_ ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 6:04 PM

its pathetic that the bombings are the reason they won

pierrecolat ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 6:06 PM

"its pathetic that the bombings are the reason they won" It's also untrue. It's far more complex than that. There are many issues involved.

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 6:51 PM

Thanks again for the definitions, now I know that I am "good man" and Bush is a very "bad man" the same as Bin Laden or Hussein. Who do you want in power? NOBODY, we aren't slaves neither we need a master What is the answer? To what? You don't like what we have, what do you want? Peace, freedom (not a fake one) and no lies. What party or way of life do you think is the answer? My life and everybody have his own life and road. We are not sheeps, well I am not, I don't know about the others.

Stupidity also evolves!

Phate_ ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 7:02 PM

pierrecolat, all day Ive been seeing interviews with people who say they normally vote for the PP but due to the recent bombings they voted for the PSOE ""Who do you want in power? " NOBODY, we aren't slaves neither we need a master" kawecki, anarquy (or however its spelt) has never worked and never will

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.