Fri, Sep 20, 5:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Another Tip That MIGHT Make Poser LOAD Much Faster!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 12:07 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:48 AM

Swamps tip is excellent and shows how OLD code can really slow down a modern machine. Here's one I've tried ONLY with Pro-Pack on an XP machine (SP1) and a Win2K (SP4) machine- but it has made Poser Pro-Pack LOAD (from click to ready workspace) about 90% faster. I discovered it only just a few days ago and had wondered WHY- when Swamp's post made me realize now it must be another issue of MODERN code versus ANCIENT code... So here it is- I FRESH installed (nothing had been on my machine for about 3 months) the latest release of DAZ STUDIO. Upon installation I allowed it to run off an immediately search my RUNTIME folders to locate Poser files. It rapidly zipped through my very large RUNTIME- and after playing with DS a little, I went back and loaded Pro-Pack again. Pro-Pack stunned me by loading almost INSTANTLY. O.K.- so I did the same thing the next day on my older machine and the same thing happened- about a 90% increase Pro-Pack loading speed. This effect has been repeatable during the following days- WITHOUT having to load Daz Studio first. My THEORY about this is that DAZ STUDIO uses a modern machine search method that apparently REGISTERS someplace the list of where all the Poser Library info is and that my MODERN OS's use this reference when I click on Pro-Pack. Obviously older Poser code never thought of using modern NT processing methods- so DAZ STUDIO, being Poser File Friendly somehow HELPS Poser (or more likely my OS) find where everything is in my RUNTIME. Haven't tried this with Poser 5, and don't know WHAT might happen on a MAC- but it seems to work really well on XP and Win2K. BTW- This is NOT an Evil DAZ PLOT! Your OWN Mileage may VARY. But it seems to really work for me.

Tunesy ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 1:37 AM

So, installing and running DS helps Poser load faster? Is that accurate, and do you work for daz? ;)

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 2:07 AM

Yes, I get paid $25 Million a week to be a DAZ Spokesman! Best job I've ever had- since I was previosly President of Microsoft, where the pay was really bad!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 2:16 AM

BTW- If you look more closely, you will find that DAZ was behind the Hurricane that hit Florida and the World Trade Center attack, not to mention the rise of Hitler! It's all these DAZ conspiracies that REALLY make Poser run the way it does.

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 2:55 AM
Site Admin

Was DAZ by any chance in Dallas in 1963? said with tongue firmly planted in cheek

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 3:56 AM

Anybody know where I can download a conforming tinfoil hat? I think I can hear the black helicopters coming. :D I haven't got around to installing DAZ Studio yet, so assuming this isn't a conspiracy by DAZ's mind control division, it will be worth trying.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 3:57 AM

Yes, it's a MASSIVE conspiracy that DAZ has organized to take over the planet!!! I forgot to mention too that DAZ pays me a 90% commission on every free copy of Daz Studio that people download. I expect to see about $95 Billion in my PayPal account by next Tuesday!

movida ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 6:42 AM · edited Mon, 16 August 2004 at 6:45 AM

Very funny. But Veritas, you make light of the fact that in the case of the long-awaited Mil Horse (and for some of us an important figure; at least as important as nipples and breasts) DAZ totally ignored feedback here when posting a picture of the completed model and proclaiming it a WIP and again, for over 3 months, in 2 very very long threads at DAZ, from users wanting corrections made. All of the requested corrections were necessary to produce a correctly conformed and posing horse. When the ads for the mil horse went up at DAZ, they cleverly hid his front legs (IMO an attempt to hide the fact that they did not fix them). Here in the WIP thread, Carolly requested a side shot which was never posted. Again, IMO, an attempt to hide the defects THEY KNEW were there. They basically told all of us to eat shit.

Fix that. DAZ is customer service oriented when customer service is profitable.

Message edited on: 08/16/2004 06:45

movida ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 6:53 AM · edited Mon, 16 August 2004 at 6:56 AM

Another little indication of DAZ sincerity: after e-mailing myself and others who were asked (after 3 months of public pictures and requests at DAZ in their forums where I'm sure they could read them) to send recommendations for fixes that what we requested was too much, DAZ publicly requested we correspond with the internal production department.

For what? To look good publicly? Rather calculating don't you think? Or is it just "good business"?

Message edited on: 08/16/2004 06:56

neilp ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 7:03 AM

This is impossible. Poser 4 or 5 has never read the registry and, unless they totally reqrite it, never will. Therefore any changes DS makes to the registry will have no affect on Poser. Poser does not use initialisation files and, unless they totally rewrite it, never will. Therefore any changes DS makes to the registry will have no affect on Poser. Poser 5 does use and XML file to store locations and desktop settings so maybe, just maybe DS puts MAGIC code into that. Yours Unbelievingly NeilP

Tunesy ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 7:13 AM

Thanks for the clarifications, Neil. After reading the top post I didn't want to install DS because if it was making changes that could affect Poser then I'd want to know more detail about it first. Also, there are enough people using DS and Poser both that I'd think we'd have heard about it by now if DS somehow 'improved' anything in Poser.

movida ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 7:42 AM · edited Mon, 16 August 2004 at 7:43 AM

Also Veritas, as long as I'm on a roll here, DAZ supplied a "SR 1" for the horse which succeeded in f'ing up his legs more...which means that after 3 months of posts in their forums they either: a) can't read; b) can't model; or, c) don't care, take your pick.

If any of the DAZ mouthpieces wants to chime in with opinions that the horse is "just fine", please state specifically exactly which aspects of his conformation are just fine:)

Message edited on: 08/16/2004 07:43

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 7:54 AM

With P5 I didn't notice any difference in loading time when I had D/S installed. Perhaps with P4 or Pro Pack, but not with P5 at all. Honestly even if there was a loading time difference when D/S is installed, I still don't want D/S anymore on my system anyway.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 8:12 AM

This may be a result of WinXP caching certain information just for this purpose: quick reloads of applications. It's called "Prefetch" and you will find the folder in your Windows folder. Possibly? :)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 2:10 PM

neilp: Perhaps it overwrites or enhances a couple of .dll files that Poser relies on as well? Dunno, haven't tested it... I'm too busy tweaking D|S to run better on Linux under cxoffice to bother checking (at least until DAZ can cough up some source code for me to port...) Movida: - gawddamn, son; go take yer angsty piss up DAZ' rope to another thread already... this one ain't got anything to do with horses. /P

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 2:16 PM

Thanks for the "Prefetch" info. I did think it was more likely the OS was doing it too, as obviously Poser had no software mechanism for it. What can I say- it works for me! I never said anyone had to USE Daz Studio to make it work, etc.--- but some some here everything is an Evil DAZ Conspiracy!

davo ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 2:40 PM

file_122847.jpg

wow, if it works, it works, I'll be trying it out Veritas, thanks for the heads up :-)

And what the hell is up with the daz horse thread hi-jack? I got your horse right here... it takes a whippin' and keeps on tickin'...

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 3:08 PM

LMAO!!! Davo.

oihomau ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 3:53 PM

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 5:32 PM

Heh! Yes- Dead Horse Beating in Overdrive! One other thought about this "OS Effect" is that Daz Studio just might possibly perform a simplified "Correct Reference" function of some kind that the OS is able to use. In my case the effect might be AMPLIFIED because I am already using Hogsoft's Correct Reference Pro software (another Evil DAZ Plot- they are SECRETLY OWNED by DAZ and I get MASSIVE HOGSOFT KICKBACKS for saying this!) and so the internal RUNTIME work that CRPro does to straighten things out may somehow get LINKED to what Daz Studio does when it searches and catalogs the locations of your runtimes and libraries. I don't see that this is such a FAR-FETCHED concept when using OS's like XP Pro or Win2K.

movida ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 5:34 PM

Gee guys, I just saw another one of the "RAH RAH RAH DAZ IS GOD" threads and thought, in the interest of maintaining a semblence of balance, I'd give an alternate viewpoint. As far as my opposing viewpoint being "angsty"...well I feel no anxiety at all. Sorry to disappoint. And as long as we're trying to impress..."movida" is the feminine form of the verb but I'm sure you knew that all along :)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 6:20 PM · edited Mon, 16 August 2004 at 6:22 PM

I use references in the general sense, so no worries in the gender arena... and it's nowhere near as clunky as "daughter" (esp. when spoken w/ a southern drawl...) My profuse apologies if such practices offend.

" Gee guys, I just saw another one of the "RAH RAH RAH DAZ IS GOD" threads and thought, in the interest of maintaining a semblence of balance, I'd give an alternate viewpoint."

Err, the alternate viewpoint as advertised, or that bawl-fest of angry bile we got instead? I was just curious, because you sounded awfully anxious to spew the bile up there (which is why I used the term I did... pretty neat how that works, innit? ;) ) Deny it all you wish, but really - it's pretty obvious that you're angry at 'em.

Whether it's justified anger or not, isn't my problem. I'm more curious as to how this alleged acceleration works in Poser, and not in the gripes of someone who seems bent on polluting every DAZ thread she sees with re-runs of the same one-off bad experience. Sorry to disappoint n' all..

So please, if you have issues, start your own thread about it and quit hijacking everyone else's in what appears to be an obvious cry for attention.

Thanks in advance,
/P

Message edited on: 08/16/2004 18:22

movida ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 8:55 PM

Sorry Lunch Room Monitor, I didn't realize you were in charge here :) but if people can start threads obviously intended as propoganda then I should be able to refute said propoganda. You didn't disappoint - in order to do that you have to be taken seriously. And I don't take you seriously enough to continue with this.

Tunesy ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 9:04 PM

... a thread based on DS somehow making Poser run better does have a pretty hokey fanboy ring to it ;) But, heck, I suppose it could be possible. I'm no programmer.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 12:14 AM

Daz Studio cured my cancer!

wheatpenny ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 12:57 AM
Site Admin

God, davo, that's disgusting... Is that the milennium horse? Where can I get that "dead and mostly rotted away" texture?

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Veritas777 ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 2:05 AM

Heh, there are some really bitter and frankly anti-DAZ HATE-FILLED people here in the Poser Forum! Their hatred for all things DAZ seems to transcend everthing else! I've created threads on tons of different topics- GMAX, Game Render Engines, Z-Tooning, MAX, Lightwave, Pop Culture, --lots of things that that have NOTHING to do with DAZ- yet when something DAZ is the topic you get this "DAZ FanBoy", "People who think DAZ is GOD" fantical ranting? Nothing in my initial thread suggested people MUST BUY anything made by DAZ. I only made an observation that I basically said MIGHT work for them- a FREE download. You don't even have to use it,- just its cataloging feature- you can then delete it if it doesn't have the effect that I have noticed. Anti-DAZ people are using NAZI style thug tactics to come into other people's threads and spew anti-DAZ rants and personally attack people and call them names just for using or even casually mentioning DAZ products.

movida ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 4:40 AM

Pass on the "NAZI" style reference please, I'm not in any way anti any nationality. Just refer to me as "Pissed Off Bitch" that'll work :) And I do think that people should be required to wear "DAZ Forum Team" badges if they are such, as an attempt to put their posts in proper perspective. Others who have made anti-DAZ posts (and I do not in any way categorize mine as anything else) have been hounded/attacked/ridiculed/harassed by a united front of pro-DAZ posters and none of you seemed to have a problem with that at all. It's gone so far that some have left the scene entirely. I've read those posts here and at other sites and I'll tell you, they're pathetic but the people on the receiving end are the ones who suffered. RAH RAH RAH and I'm out of here

wheatpenny ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 5:13 AM · edited Tue, 17 August 2004 at 5:14 AM
Site Admin

Rah, rah, rah! Daz, Daz, Daz! :)

Message edited on: 08/17/2004 05:14

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 9:07 AM

" Sorry Lunch Room Monitor, I didn't realize you were in charge here :)" Nah - just trying to keep down on the number of tantrums in the fora. I realize it's a nearly lost cause in this incestuous little pile of spoiled humanity, but one can certainly still hold hope, ne? "but if people can start threads obviously intended as propoganda[sic] then I should be able to refute said propoganda[sic]." ROTFLMAO! Umm, yeah - stating a performance tweak is now obvious propaganda? Or do you just spend your days grepping the fora for that little acronym starting with "D"? For some odd reason, the latter makes more sense... "Others who have made anti-DAZ posts (and I do not in any way categorize mine as anything else) have been hounded/attacked/ridiculed/harassed by a united front of pro-DAZ posters and none of you seemed to have a problem with that at all." United? Oh, crap! I've been missing all the right meetings, then! Puh-leeze; I've only jumped Anton in here (for reasons a bit beyond public knowledge, sorry.) BTW, I've no need to hound/harass/etc. I meet it head-on, as it should be. Sorry if that angers you, or invalidates your attempts at garnering sympathy, or whatever. (shrug.) "And I don't take you seriously enough to continue with this." Excellent! So you'll be taking your petty little tirades with you, then? Can't have them littering the floor, y'know ;) Meanwhile, has anyone found out why the tweak might work? /P

wheatpenny ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 9:13 AM · edited Tue, 17 August 2004 at 9:14 AM
Site Admin

Meanwhile, has anyone found out why the tweak might work?<<

Who said anything about a tweak? This thread's about Daz...
:) :) :)

Message edited on: 08/17/2004 09:14

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 9:19 AM

There isn't a tweak at all, this is a fairy tale, this is just one big joke (as imho D/S is too).....

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 2:31 PM · edited Tue, 17 August 2004 at 2:32 PM

file_122848.jpg

LOL @ MM!

aeilkema... D|S may indeed be a joke, but it's one that runs on a Linux machine w/ better performance than it would on WinXP (which is more than I can say for most ofther 3d apps...)

Seriously - take a peek up at the pic - I'm running it on SuSE 9.1, and it renders at the same speed as it would on an XP box w/ twice the RAM...

Message edited on: 08/17/2004 14:32

Stormrage ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:13 PM

"And I do think that people should be required to wear "DAZ Forum Team" badges if they are such, as an attempt to put their posts in proper perspective." Sure I guess if it's necessary Movida.. but looking around Seems like I am the only one fo the Daz forum team in this thread.. and I just popped in to clarify that Penguin isn't anymore, and hasn't been for a while. And he's the only one I know of who has been, in this thread. J."Keep it civil" Greenlees Daz Forum Team

davo ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:20 PM

@ Martian Manhunter: You know, I think a skeletal, zombie, see-through skin and bones horse texture would be ultra cool, now that I think about it. That would make for a cool ghost riders type image. The dead horse was from a Kosovo website, a grim reminder that humans are not the only ones who suffer from any war.

spinner ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 6:27 PM

tweak works for me - I think Kuroyume has a point. Pengy - I can see your thing again... ~S

byAnton ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 6:55 PM

Actually Pengy you had told me in IM that your attacks on me were based on info Dan Farr was feeding you privately. :) Or at least that is what you said. :)

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

pdxjims ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 7:40 PM

Christ in a handcar. Veritas777 found a tip that may make Poser run faster. It's entirely possible it works (though I haven't checked it, D/S doesn't run well with my setup). And people jump in to Daz bash and accuse Veritas777 for being a Daz supporter. First: Veritas777 was kind enough to post something he found that gets his Poser to work better. From a programming point of view, it might actually make sense since it could force something to load and stay resident that helps Poser to run. Thank you, Veritas777. Second: Daz isn't my favorite company in the whole world, but they aren't Satan either. Most of the stuff for sale there is fine. Sometimes they have the corporate grace of a one legged spider, but they don't eat babies for lunch. Third: Daz forum mods are also members here, and can post what the f*ck they want. So can any member until they get banned by the forum mods here. Since supporting Daz and bashing Daz isn't against the TOS here, I don't think that'll happen soon. But people could let a thread about a possible Poser speed-up stand for itself. Or at least TRY IT before they come and raise hell in the thread suggesting it. If you haven't tried the tweak, then shut up until you do. Finally: My stake. I sell at Daz. Also PoserPro's since I'm a whore who likes money and attention (like many other vendors). On the other hand, my best bud is Dodger, who's had a problem or two of his own at Daz (and here for that matter). I don't do Daz forums much, because they usually bore me, so I don't know who the mods are there. And I don't care. Thanks again, Veritas777, for the suggestion. And no kids, we aren't there yet. Here's a valium, take a chill.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 9:08 AM

"Actually Pengy you had told me in IM that your attacks on me were based on info Dan Farr was feeding you privately. :) Or at least that is what you said. :)" Actrually, I figured it out before Dan confirmed it for me... in public. So nyah. pdxjims is right, though I'm not a DAZ mod or any other type of official critter. It gives me more freedom to be the prick I truly love to be >:) /P

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 10:16 AM

Pengy, pdxjims is ALWAYS right. Come on, say it with me... pdxjims is always right...pdxjims is always right... Good!

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 5:20 PM

pfft! Nobody gets that accolade, not even my mirror >:) /P

Riddokun ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 11:09 PM

.bookmark

Arturzinho ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2006 at 6:21 AM

If you right click the Poser folder and select "Properties", there will be a scan of all folders and subfolders of Poser. After that Poser will start much faster. Nothing to do with DazStudio.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.