Thu, Sep 19, 3:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Poser 6 crash instantly when trying to save

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 3:47 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:18 PM

Tried to save a poser file and it crashed immediately to the desktop? Any ideas?

Jackson ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 3:54 PM

Did you try it more than once? It happens all the time? Try saving an empty scene. Does it still crash? Did you try changing the file settings in Preferences? Does it still crash? Do you get any error messages?

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:01 PM

::takes a deep breath:: Call Tech Support. --------- After that if you are waiting for info..post system specs and every other program you have running...no matter how small. It has already been noted that you have to have the latest graphics drivers installed.

Tirjasdyn

Birddie ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:08 PM

Maybe you guys are rushing into too quickly and that's why you're crashing? :)

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:25 PM

tlaloc321, one thing to check beforehand ... as someone has already mentioned, have you made sure that you have the latest video drivers installed for your card?

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:25 PM

thanks folks, Now I updated the video driver thinking that might be it, restarted and BSOD crashed the whole thing. Had no PS2 keyboard so went to work to get one, loaded last known good configuration and I am back but shakey - me i mean no the computer. I will test a bit more and repost thanks for your support. Does poser 6 need to be installed on the C drive? I installed it on the E drive since it has so much more room I wanted to migrate over?

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:28 PM

Yes thank you Deecey I saw your post earlier and went to update my invidia and the whole system crashed on restart really scarey never ever happened on this machine before 1 year running now. So I am goign to try some other things before trying that again. crashes on empty scene too.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:35 PM

export image crashes too - its like I dont have the full version or something. Like I have not registered but I have.

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:44 PM

I've had P6 running now for like 6 hours and it hasn't crashed, hiccuped or even burped yet. Including renders, opens, saves, exports, area renders etc. Standard (fairly recent) OpenGL drivers on a 2-year old NVidia geforce4 card. :] Fish

WeirdJuice ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:47 PM

Try switching to the software display renderer (Sree 3D) in General Preferences dialog (IIRC). This is the old P4/P5 non Open-GL rendering preview. If it still crashes you can assume that its not an OGL problem otherwise you'll need to look further at the video card settings. Bill

Jackson ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:49 PM

Did you try it with OpenGL turned off? Still crashes? Try rebooting and try again. Maybe you have a corrupt download? Or maybe a corrupt installation? Try to uninstall and reinstall. It shouldn't matter which drive it's installed on.

Berserga ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:52 PM

sounds like your comp's basic stability is a bit iffy. Might want to reformat, before installing P6.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 4:56 PM

just reinstalled on C drive same thing. Computer has been solid as a rock until the Invidia thing an hour ago. Everything else works perfectly. Will try with no open GL but display and viewports and rendering are all fine, just cannot use any function under the File menu.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:02 PM

turned off my second monitor in the settings just to check and still same problem. I email CL but have no illusions as to how long it might take them to respond. Oh well, I will enjoy all the postings tonight that you all provide and hope they know what the issue is. I have never crashed poser 5 or any other program for that matter (unless doing something really stupid like trying to render 10 textured poser figures or something like that) Thanks again, if you want to take a break from rendering and try your mind on my issues I appreciate it.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:04 PM

turned off my second monitor in the settings just to check and still same problem. I email CL but have no illusions as to how long it might take them to respond. Oh well, I will enjoy all the postings tonight that you all provide and hope they know what the issue is. I have never crashed poser 5 or any other program for that matter (unless doing something really stupid like trying to render 10 textured poser figures or something like that) Thanks again, if you want to take a break from rendering and try your mind on my issues I appreciate it.

Scarab ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:04 PM

One suggestion, reinstall P6 but turn your firewall and virus software off for the installation. I have seen virus protection cause problems with complex installations before. Scarab

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:05 PM

tlaloc321 ... did you say it is only Poser that is giving you this problem and that everything else is working OK? If so, uninstall Poser and try reinstalling it again. If not, and you are seeing problems in other apps as well, then it might be related to your video driver installation. Let us know, we can't leave you hanging like that. 8-)

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:06 PM

sorry ... crossposted. Great minds think alike. 8-)

steerpike ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:15 PM

tlaloc321; you mention the BSOD - which version of Windows are you running? If I'm right in remembering that P6 needs Win2K / XP / 2003, and you're running 98 or ME (which have the BSOD as a 'feature'), it could be a simple (but pretty fundamental) case of the wrong OS.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:31 PM

it might not have been a true BSOD it was a blue background with all white lettering talking about saving my computer by shutting down lest damage occur way too much to read before it shut down. I am goign to try the virus and firewall idea that sounds promising to me. and Deecey you are so kind I really apreciate your sentiment.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:36 PM

it is XP by the way

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 5:49 PM

I ran the install and first run with all virus protection and firewall OFF and that was it, worked like a charm thank you everyone for helping me get through this trying time. I went from the heights of happiness - MY POSER DOWNLOAD IS READY - to the depths of despair - UGH I TOTALLY HOSED MY ENTIRE COMPTUER WITH A BAD NVIDIA DRIVER UPADTE - to - OK DRIVER IS ROLLED BACK AND NOW I CAN DO THE VIDEO JOB I HAVE LINED UP FOR THE NEXT 2 WEEKS - TO - SCARAB MADE THE SUGGESTION THAT FIXED MY POSER 6. Thank you all again and again. I hope I can pay it foward sometime myself. I will watch the forum over the next few weeks and see if anyone else has this problem so I can help out and credit Scarab.

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 6:17 PM

That's interesting.... I had my realtime virus protection, firewall and adware/spyware apps running in the background during download, install and while running P6 - for hours. And none of it seemed to affect the app or the install. tlaloc321 - what virus app etc do you use? I have Trend Micro and Ad-Aware. And my experience has been that they are both highly transparent, never cause me trouble, never eat resources. :] Fish

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 6:26 PM

I am experimenting with Aavast the free one. I used to be able to download without turning it off now I need to shut it down before making downloads of poser content etc. Obviously now I need to shut it down for installs too. BUT in its defense I had this program a virus running maksing as MSGS.EXE. It would come on during long overnight vue renders and totally mess up my work. This would happen every few nights I would come down in the AM and MSGS.EXE would be conusming 100 percent of the processor and the computer was totally unresponsive. Ran Norton several times full scan everything and it reported no problems. When Norton ran out I tried this Aavast thing and it wanted to do all these full system scans the first time I ran it, so I let it do its thing on restart too and sure enough I have never had this MSGS.exe thing again. I used to see it in the processes and shut it down before rendering but it would come back on its own even without restarting the computer. Now it is gone totally so, maybe Aavast is more aggressive than Norton was but I will keep with it till it does something really awfull. Hey btw I am doing a GI render in poser 6 and it is really interesting!!!! very nice so far.

DrmzRmyne ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 6:45 PM

tlaloc321 I'm having the same problem as you are. My system is not even a year old...i have a nvidia card with the latest updates and when I installed all my virus and firewall protection was off. I'm using winxp...but that really shouldn't have anything to do with it. So Poser 6 starts fine...but if I try clicking on any tab such as "material" "face" etc at the top, the program automatically crashes without dialog boxes, warnings and it's gone. I really hate to think that I spent all this money to not even be able to run the darn thing. Very frustrating. :(( I'm really stumped on this one.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 6:52 PM

mine crashed when I clicked anything in the file menu, I did not try the other rooms while I was having the problem. The fix was just as you said you have already done though - I shut down the firewall and virus protection during installation and first run. I was sure to uninstall Poser 6 before re installing it. I don't konw if that might be a difference in what I did and what you have tried. I just re read your post was the firewall and virus protection off when you ran the program after the install? I think that was in important point because when I first ran it the XP firewall popped up and wanted access then it crashed when trying to save or whatever. Of course with it turned off no problem and no problem since. I think this is the deal - during that first run Poser calls home through the firewall to register. If the firewall is on - it asks for permission to allow but by then it might be too late and your install is corrupted. So be sure to shut it off during first run after reinstall - I hope this helps you probably already did that but that is as much as I know - I left my tech email to Curious labs and if they give me some ideas I will forward them to you since I might get the email sooner since I sent it a few hours ago good luck.

DrmzRmyne ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 7:05 PM

Thanks. :) Yes, firewall and antivirus was off during install. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled, but still the same problems. I can render a character but as soon as I try and access any of those tabs at the top it simply crashes. I also will try and send them an e-mail...but I'm sure it will take forever to get a response since I'm sure many people will be bogging them down with these type of questions or problems.

ws ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 7:06 PM

Exactly the same behaviour like DrmzRmyne case. using menu or tabs - the program crashes to the desktop. I turned off firewall and antivirus (Norton) during installation and during the first run but it did not work :-( I have to agree - very frustrating... BTW, no problem with any other software and solid rock stability.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 7:18 PM

This is from Poser 6 tech support. Can not belive they responded this evening, about 2 hour response time. I am not sure this would have solved the issue like (at least in my case) the firewall and virus protection shut down but I am posting it here in case it help any of you out there with similar issues. What if you shut off virus and firewall so that they did not run on start up. Then you restart and try the clean install again? Just a thought I troubleshoot a lot of computers but only basic stuff nothing like this. Really good luck. I am feeling for ya. "When Poser has been running successfully for a while, but then starts behaving badly, often it's because the preference files have become corrupted. This is annoying but easily fixed. Exit Poser and navigate to C:/Program Files/Curious Labs/Poser 5/Runtime/prefs and delete the Poser configuration file (Poser.ini), the LibraryPrefs.xml file and any Poser UI Prefs XML files that may be present. Leave the Default UI Prefs as Poser needs those. Second, if deleting your preferences doesn't cure the problem, it may be necessary to uninstall and reinstall Poser. When installing and running any Curious Labs software, we advise users to make sure no other programs are running and all startup item are disabled. This can be accomplished by using the msconfig utility. On Windows 98, Me and XP, you can see what applications are actually starting up with Windows by going to Start > Run > type "msconfig" > OK. This will start the System Configuration Utility. Click the "Startup" tab. Every checked item listed in the Startup Item list is running every time you start the system. Uncheck as many as possible, then disable nonessential services as follows. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft Services" checkbox and click "Disable All". Restart to boot into this "minimal" configuration. Uninstall and reinstall your software from the CD or downloaded installer file. Uninstalling will not remove either preference files or any custom or third-party content that you have installed to your Poser libraries, as only the items originally installed are removed. Immediately update the software with the latest updater (if applicable; check our website, www.curiouslabs.com/go/downloads/updates) Restart the system to return to the normal configuration. Launch the software and test its features to see if there has been any improvement to its behavior."

DrmzRmyne ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 7:35 PM

Ok....now this may be a problem for many of you. I figured out my problem on my own. I have a nvidia geforce4 mx 4000 grafics card. It was updated about 5 months ago but went and checked for a new updated driver and found one. installed the new driver and wahlah everything works. So I'm assuming many of peoples problems will result from incompatible grafics cards or out of date drivers. Now I can access everything and all is good. Didn't have a darn thing to do with antivirus or firewall. Hope this helps others that may be experiencing the same prob.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 8:07 PM

HMM and when I tired to update my driver all H broke loose and my comptuer was dead. Now I am running well under the old driver from about 6 months ago. The driver recommendation is a good one though.

Ultrop ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 8:39 PM

Slightly of topic, but just incase it helps. I had no problems indtaling and runing Poser 6. However it crashed as soon as I tried to assecc any room. I did the re-instal withou firewall and anti-virus. I did my first run without them as well. I accessed the material room without problems. Rebooted. Tried the material room and it worked but none of the other rooms did. What was difrent. I had killed the help that pops up in the material room but not the others. I restarted withou firewal and virus. Killed each rooms popup help and rebooted. Now everyting is fine. Go figure. Hope it helps atleast someone else.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 9:20 PM

Hey, looks like we are figuring out lots of stuff and giving the physical shipment folks at least something to go on should they have difficulty.

Scarab ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 10:33 PM

....you...you mean...I actually got something right? ....hooray....! (I think I shall swoon!) Scarab

Danava ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2005 at 1:39 AM

I had the same thing happen to me with the app dropping me back to desktop whenever I tried to do anything like switch rooms, save etc.. I popped up the task manager and started shuttng down any and all tasks running on my comp. I shut down everything I possibly could, and now I've been using Poser 6 for a few hours without crashing. It HATES something I was running obviously. Tomorrow if I get bored I'll try shutting down each task 1 by one and testing until I narrow it down to what program is causing the problems.

ws ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2005 at 5:30 PM

In my case the problem was connected with conflict of pop-up help windows in Poser's rooms and antivirus monitor. I have switched off av monitor in the task manager and succesfully entered all Poser's rooms. After Windows reloading all works perfectly - with Norton and Zone Alarm in the background. Many thanks for all of you for ideas and solutions. I hope that your problems will be resolved too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.