Fri, Sep 27, 6:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 27 5:34 pm)

Subject: ATTN: Curious Labs-Just a thought

dirk5027 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:45 AM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 3:35 PM

Isn't it possible to let people that purchased the boxed version go ahead and get the download, so they can play with and learn the new features? I'm not really that impatient, but i'm not a person that reads manuals, i just play and figure things out for myself..Just a thought

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:48 AM

I think each probably has it's own serial number and that's why we can't download as well as get the boxed version. Marque

cherokee69 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:51 AM

I bought the boxed version but I don't see any reason why CL couldn't offer people the bought the boxed version to go ahead and download it instead of making them wait forever how long before they get their shipment. Would give more people the opportunity to play with the program.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:55 AM

Yes, it sure would be nice if they let us download it, too. Some companies do; you can download the product to use immediately, while they ship the boxed version. Perhaps the bandwidth would be prohibitive, but maybe they'll consider it, now that the mad rush is over.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:57 AM

If ya wanted to download, why order the boxed version to begin with? Be patient like the people in the "box club" and we'll get it soon!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

dirk5027 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:58 AM

randym, i'm gonna have to agree, it could take a month or 2 maybe more to get your boxed set and i'm curious to know if i'm one of the ones that has troubles or if it works fine

cherokee69 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:03 AM · edited Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:06 AM

" If ya wanted to download, why order the boxed version to begin with?" Didn't decide I'd rather download it instead until AFTER I had bought the boxed version but when I tried to change the order, I found out CL wouldn't allow it. They should have had that option as long as your hadn't been charged for it yet or it hadn't been shipped. I bought it on 2/19/05 and so far, my credit card hasn't been charged and there is no indication when it will be shipped.

Message edited on: 03/23/2005 08:06

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:06 AM

They can't. if they give you a downloaded copy it will have to have a valid Serial number. Then once your box arrive you will have two valid copies for the price of one. Not going to happen. They can't just give you your serial number from the one they shipped you because they dont know it until you register with it. on top of that, I'm sure what they save in printing they expend in bandwidth and all the other stuff that goes into making that portion of the web work. ya can't have both.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:14 AM

They could give us temporary serials. That's how some companies handle the problem.

dirk5027 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:21 AM

Exactly randym..So many things in life are so easy, but some people want to make it seem so difficult. The whole post was just a thought.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:22 AM

I imagine temporary serials would require some programing. Give them a couple of months to intigrate that...but then we will have our shipments by then. Personaly, id rather they put their efforts into the SR they are working on than try to get me a copy of the program before my shipment arrives.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:27 AM

So many things in life are so easy, but some people want to make it seem so difficult. and sometimes things that would seem easy are actually difficult. I think we stand a much better chance of getting CL to put the manual online or possibly a demo version that was alluded to at one time.

dirk5027 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:29 AM

oh i was gonna say demo version but thought that would be even harder to do

alamanos ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:50 AM

although I feel your pain.. I real don't think it's going to happen. and if it does there should be an extra charge. I purchased the download version because I was impatient, but honestly I would have prefered the box. If they give the box club a download link then in all fairness they should send the downloaders a boxed version free of charge (minus shipping).

Kristta ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 9:01 AM

How bout that email from them this morning? Why not rub it in that it's out already? I got the following in my little inbox this morning: ""Curious Labs is happy to announce the release of Poser 6! Read the entire press release here or click here for more product information. The Poser 6 SPECIAL EDITION is still available at a great price but quantities are limited and are dwindling quickly so rush to the online store to get your copy while it is still available. The Poser 6 Special Edition not only offers you the power of version 6, but includes Shade 7 designer LE and additional content with the Winter Queen Figure Pack. The Poser 6 Special Edition package is available for ONLY 269 USD (249 EUR/171 GBP) for the new user and starting at only 129 USD (119 EUR /82 GBP) for the upgrade! The Special Edition combines the ultimate in 3D character design and animation in Poser with the essential 3D tool for all creative designers in Shade. Through integration with PoserFusion, Poser 6 and Shade 7 create a powerful 3D graphics suite that is a must have! BUY NOW!"" BTW.....I ordered the boxed version because unlike the rest of the world I live in a rural community where 28kbps is a really good day on a download. Kristta

jwiest ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 9:14 AM

If you want to look on the bright side, those of us who are waiting for the boxed version (including myself) might actually have a patch or two to install immediately so things work better up front. :)

John

Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 9:17 AM

I wouldn't have a problem paying extra to get a download version in the meantime , like a $10-$15 impatience charge. I went with the boxed version just in case something happened with the download but I was kind of expecting the boxes to ship on 21 March, not take a week or more to hit their distribution center, then take days to get organized for shipping before actually shipping. I've heard that CDs and DVDs burned at home can go bad over time, but the way the CDs are made for mass-production is different and holds up much better - that's why I went with the boxed version.

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 9:23 AM

file_206478.jpg

Pretty much the same here, Crescent. And CL sould be registering our serial numbers before they ship them, so supplying our serials with a download option wouldn;t have been that hard to impliment. I think the biggest issue though, is that they ended up using Digital River for distribution. They might actually be the ones registering our serial numbers for cl before shipment. At least they should be doing that, I'd think. Welcome to Wait Club, Crescent. (Just don't talk about it!)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 9:27 AM

Yes, I like the idea of an "impatience charge." People who bought the download but want a physical copy, too, could also pay the charge and get it.

thixen ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 9:33 AM

"I've heard that CDs and DVDs burned at home can go bad over time, but the way the CDs are made for mass-production is different and holds up much better - that's why I went with the boxed version" << It's a little OT, but this is true production CD/DVDs are 'stamped' on a metal plate before the clear plastic coating goes over them. DVD=r/cd=r use ink coated on one side of the plastic. Your laser on your burned burns the 'pits' that woud normally be stamped. Though this is less of an issue anymore, we're talking a self life of like 50 years vs one that has yet to be measured (the first CDs made are still good and their is no real data on the break down of the plate. Estimates are in the hundreds or thousands of years.) The ink will 'fade' if kept in direct sunlight to long though so keep those cd/dvd-rs in their jewel cases.

Aeneas ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 9:47 AM

Indeed, CD and DVDrot is a serious problem. Unfortunatley, cheaper cd's and dvd's suffer more and after less than 5 years, some can already be unusuable. So buy the best brand you can afford and, if you can, get an external hdd that you only connect to put your software and valuable data on.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 10:02 AM

An impatience charge? :evil little grin: I bet that every time a bunch of forumites in any of these forums start cracking their knuckles and clicking the refresh button every 15 minutes somebody trying to update the website rolls their eyes. This is a good idea... like the "kitty" old time pubs used to keep for people who cursed. Carolly

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 10:31 AM

Impatience charge? they have one...its $269.00 ;)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 10:57 AM

When those of us that bought the boxed version did so -- we knew at that time what we were getting in for.

Curious Labs didn't make that choice -- we did.

Speaking for myself, I had legitimate reasons for wanting the boxed version over the download version. And those reasons still stand.

So it'll require an extra wait on my part. E-mail beats snail mail for speed every time.

To coin a phrase: that's the way the cookie crumbles.

My advice would be to have some patience.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

cherokee69 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 11:20 AM

eecir ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 11:54 AM

First of all I think a lot of people who ordered the box expected to see it arrive before the Easter break - certainly the timing of the release would make you think that; this was one of the reasons I ordered without knowing too much about the product. As for the above remark about downloaders getting a free physical copy, why should they! - people that ordered the box version paid more for it - they're the ones paying for the plastic and cardboard. I think it all boils down to how you treat your customers - Curious labs seems to have shot themselves in the foot here. They could have sandbagged us if they wanted: they could have said it's coming out on a certain date then they could have released it earlier.
I bought Softimage XSI Foundation a while back. On ordering it online I was able to prolong the life of the demo and the physical box came 5 days later - now that's what I call service. I guess I'll get stuck in and start learning XSI next week and wonder how Curious Labs got things so wrong.

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 12:01 PM

I think what's caused the biggest issue, is the huge amount of "release date" advertising, combined with shipment delay caused by shipping it to digital river first, and then DR shipping it to fulfill orders. It would have been smarter, to announce a "March 30th" release date, but then proceed with early downloading for people choosing that method. That way, people getting the hard copies wouldn't be waiting so long for the ship and charge email.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 12:47 PM

dirk5027 where do you come up with this? randym, i'm gonna have to agree, it could take a month or 2 maybe more to get your boxed set Where do you live that it's going to take that long? lol It will get here when it gets here and I will have a printed manual to work with. I hate printing pdf's out. Just relax and realize that you made the choice not CL, they didn't twist anyone's arm to go boxed as opposed to download. Marque

dirk5027 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:31 PM

Post #1 says ATTN curious labs it does not say ATTN know it alls, so If you want to say it gets here when it gets here move on, it was a legitimate thought. There are a few posts here that agree with me, so obviously i'm not the only one thinking this. There are always a chosen few that know everything around here, for the record, YOU DON'T.

whbos ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:34 PM

I know Macromedia lets you download it even if you order the CD. I've done that a few times when I purchased from them. Has anyone who ordered the boxed version gotten their email saying it has been shipped? Like when P5 was released, I remember we were giving our date of order and date we received notification it was shipped. I was a late orderer so I know I have a long wait.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

tastiger ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:34 PM

" I think what's caused the biggest issue, is the huge amount of "release date" advertising, combined with shipment delay caused by shipping it to digital river first, and then DR shipping it to fulfill orders." Yep - to be honesttheir advertising was misleading to those who ordered the box version, one naturaly thought "ah 21st + couple of days shipping" - they didn't say anything about shipping to DR first

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

dirk5027 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:36 PM

thank you for that tastiger

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:47 PM

I doubt any have been shipped yet. The 21st was when they were being shipped to DR. They said 5-7 business days for that. Even if they were padding that estimate, it's likely too soon for DR to have gotten the CDs and started to ship them. Even longer if they have to package them first.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:52 PM

Now Dirk, if you really want the attention of Curious Labs you would e-mail them directly and not post to a public forum. If your gunna post something in a forum, dont get upset if some disagree and tell you about it. :-) I'd love for them to do it, but I just dont think it is practical.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:58 PM

If you want to say it gets here when it gets here move on

Threads don't come with steering wheels.

In a public forum, people can say whatever they like -- within the limits of the TOS.

There are a few posts here that agree with me, so obviously i'm not the only one thinking this.

3,000,000,000 Chinamen just can't be wrong.

So? Some others in the same thread disagree. What does that prove?

There are always a chosen few that know everything around here, for the record, YOU DON'T.

The next time that someone claims to "know everything", please quote them on it. I'd like to shake their hand.

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 2:10 PM

I know everything! Uh... I think I do anyway? Wait, if I think I do does that mean that I may not? Anyway, thinking about this makes my brain hurt. It's easier to bitch about Poser. :) Lets see. I don't have P6 yet so... CL you suck for things out of your control. I made a choice and you just plain suck. I'm just kidding of course(for those who would think that I actually meant it). No harm was intended in the creation of these words. I'm just killing time while waiting for you know what. :) :) :)

Beady ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 2:24 PM

Just a thought. I have software from a number of other places, in particular Macromedia (some of that software retails at $2000). Its fairly normal to buy the download and also order a CD and manual as a backup.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 2:25 PM

I know everything! Here........let me shake your hand...........

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 2:30 PM

LOL...

kmw ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 2:57 PM

[quote Gareee]"And CL sould be registering our serial numbers before they ship them, so supplying our serials with a download option wouldn;t have been that hard to impliment."

Quote - Is that possible? Since each serial number is sealed in the packaging how can CL determine which consumer ends up with what serial number? Outside of opening every package and controlling who got what box? Which I believe would be waaaay too much work. (I wouldn't want to do it. And truthfully if my packaging came open, my reaction wouldn't necessarily be happy...) Unfortunately, we in the Box/Wait Club made our bed. Now we're just gonna have to lay in it unable to get to sleep. :) kmw

kmw ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:07 PM

[quote eecir]"I bought Softimage XSI Foundation a while back. On ordering it online I was able to prolong the life of the demo and the physical box came 5 days later - now that's what I call service. I guess I'll get stuck in and start learning XSI next week and wonder how Curious Labs got things so wrong."

Quote - Well the difference is there was a demo available. If it weren't, you would've had to wait for the shipment, right? Blaming CL for your decision is terribly unfair. CL never made any promises. Even their pre-ordering notices told us WHEN the downloads would specifically be available, while they were suspiciously vague about when the hard copies would go out. If it helps, go offline and stop reading about all the hilarity and fun all those lousy :) DLers are having with P6. I for one had no illusions about when I might get my order. DL, even phone line, is faster than snail mail. Plain and simple. Patience, grasshoppers. Our time is nearing... kmw

whbos ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:12 PM

While I'm waiting, I'm reloading all my Mil 3 figures and better props into a new runtime folder. That should take about a month or longer. My current runtime goes back to about 1998 and is full of garbage that I never use. It will be nice to have a clean runtime for Poser 6 and maybe eliminate some DVDs when backing up.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:13 PM

Unfortunately, we in the Box/Wait Club made our bed. Now we're just gonna have to lay in it unable to get to sleep. :) Some of us understand this......and we have no problems whatsoever in sleeping on it. We agree. Patience, grasshoppers. Our time is nearing... Hey! Who you callin' a 'grasshopper'? It's tough to be as green as one.........

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:15 PM

.....with envy for the DL'ers. Just wait to hear about it when their H/D crashes on an un-backed-up copy.

salvius ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:44 PM

Look at it this way: They could have just delayed the downloadable release until the physical products shipped from DR. That way, none of us would be complaining about other people getting to play with it earlier than us, right? We'd all still be waiting on the release, so there would be no Wait Club.

Instead, all those who ordered ESD would now be complaining: "Hey, we didn't order the physical objects, why should we have to wait on those lousy boxes to ship if the software is ready already? LET US DL NOW!!!! CL 5UX0R5!!!!!"

Ahem.

Life is full of tradeoffs. They get to play with it earlier, we don't have to blow a whole set of ink cartridges printing the manual, and we get a theoretically more stable archival medium.

kmw ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 4:54 PM

[quote XENOPHONZ]"Some of us understand this......and we have no problems whatsoever in sleeping on it."

Quote - ssshhh. I was trying to imply we're all in the same boat. Walking around on our knuckles waiting for P6. To imply some of us are going about our business would dilute my point. Wait. I just said it, didn't I? damn kmw

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 5:26 PM

*To imply some of us are going about our business would dilute my point.

Wait. I just said it, didn't I?*

Admittedly, my own wait for P6 is somewhat mitigated by the fact that I am supposed to be receiving my copy of Vue Infinite in the mail tomorrow.

;-)

I'll have plenty to do, even without P6 in the works just yet.

But even if this wasn't true, I still wouldn't be needing Sominex to put me to sleep at night.

Years ago, I used to eagerly get up at 5:00AM or so on Christmas morning -- with enormous excitement.

These days, I have a hard time dragging myself out of bed............

Kristta ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 5:41 PM

I would have gotten download if my local internet system could guarantee a faster than 28kbps download. Not all of the world is living in an area where dsl and t1 is readily available. I think what upsets me more is that I've never heard of another company releasing the DL version before the boxed version is actually shipped. I myself consider it bad business. Kristta

Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 6:59 PM

I'm not mad at CL, blaming them, etc. I am a little disappointed that the boxed version didn't actually ship on 21 March as was implied (sorry, shipping to a distribution center to then be packaged for shipping doesn't count), but that's not exactly class-action lawsuit material. I certainly don't begrudge the downloaders who are already playing with P6 either. I'm just saying that I would have gladly picked option C had it been available: Download Now and get a boxed version shipped when it is available for $10 - $15 more. Cheers!

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:22 PM · edited Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:26 PM

Kristta: Bad business? Because you haven't gotten your box before they let others download? I don't see how this is bad business. I see it as someone being pissed off because they don't have the box yet. ;) I can understand that someone may have this emotional response.

It's actually very good business to allow someone who is going to purchase the product get it immediately. It allows for impulse purchases. Good idea.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S. I don't have my box either.

Message edited on: 03/23/2005 20:26

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 10:47 PM

I don't have a choice, dialup, and I want a real manual to hold in my hands. CL could have not let DL's happen till the box orders started to ship. The DL's would still have it a couple a days early, yet the box waiters wouldn't have felt left in the cold. Don't forget, CL said 5/7 days to get to warehouse but didn't calculate the Easter Holidays. Try 10/12 days to get to warehouse. All I can say to those that have it, break it and break it hard. I read all the threads, I will know what and how to fix it when my box set finally shows up.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.