Mon, Sep 30, 1:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Hexagon is now available.

keithw ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:11 AM ยท edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 1:25 PM

Checked Eovia's site this morning and found that the download version of Hexagon is now available.

tkane18 ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 9:02 AM

It would be nice if they had a trial version or demo available.

Ringo ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 9:26 AM

Eovia Announces Immediate Availability of Hexagon New 3D polygonal modeling software delivers evolutionary interface, techniques, and openness for beginners and experts alike Bordeaux, France and Mountain View, CA, USA May 10, 2005 Eovia, developer and publisher of leading 3D animation, modeling and rendering solutions, announced today the immediate availability of an innovative 3D modeling software named Hexagon. Eovia Hexagon, an all-new 3D polygonal modeler for artists and illustrators, is dedicated to the creation of 3D models and realistic or imaginary characters, and the realization of technical objects. Its multitude of state-of-the-art 3D modeling methods offers a free choice between many working techniques such as free polygonal modeling, subdivision surfaces, constructions and handling of surfaces and volumes. As an open and approachable tool, Hexagon software is accessible for both beginners as well as seasoned professionals. An evolutionary interface accompanies the user from first steps through more sophisticated numerical art creations. Model Your Way Integrated in a clear and enjoyable interface, Hexagon softwares professional and ergonomic tools allow artists to work quickly and effectively. Particularly well-equipped for organic modeling, Hexagon proposes a fast direct polygonal construction and surface subdivision tools, as well as all advanced 3D surface creation tools, like generalized extrusions, hulls, and envelopes. It also offers all extended 3D features including; thicknesses, filleting, cuttings and 3D Booleans. Hexagon furthermore embodies Dynamic Geometry technology (editable construction tree), numeric parameter settings of all actions at will, and a texture mapping module. Hexagon, Member of the Carrara Family Hexagon was conceived and developed to complement other 3D applications such as its dream partner Carrara, Eovias complete 3D solution. Models created in Hexagon can be easily exported, including shading domains, for use in Carrara or the many other products supporting OBJ, 3DS or DXF. The models can then be rendered and animated for fabulous images and 3D animations. Pricing and Availability Hexagon is available today for both Macintosh OS X and Windows via the Eovia webstore as an electronic download (ESD) with an introductory price of $169 USD until May 31, 2005. Registered owners of Eovia Carrara and/or Amapi software are eligible for the special price of $99 USD until May 31, 2005. After this date, MSRP will be $249 and $169 USD, respectively. Boxed versions of Hexagon will be available June 1, 2005 via authorized Eovia resellers, retailers such as Frys Electronics and Apple stores, and via the Eovia webstore. More information about Hexagon software can be found on the Eovia website at: www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon.asp # # # About Eovia Corporation Eovia is dedicated to providing unique solutions for creative professionals as well as those just starting their journey into 3D. The companys award-winning 3D modeling, animation, and rendering tools offer superior versatility, affordability and unmatched ease-of-use. Eovias Amapi and Carrara software families deliver improved productivity to design and manufacturing environments by providing exceptional interchange with industry-leading applications. Eovia was founded in November 2000, with offices in both the US and Europe. Eovia Media Contacts Worldwide (except Europe) Karen Smyth karen@eovia.com +1 (650) 938-0515 x101 Europe Stefan Blomberg press_europe@eovia.fr +33 (0) 5 56 13 71 53 Hexagon box shots are available for download at: http://www.eovia.com/images/presszone/Hexagon_packshots.zip Hexagon screen shots and other images are available at: http://www.eovia.com/images/presszone/Hexagon_visuals.zip 2005 Eovia Corp. Carrara, TransPoser 2 and VectorStyle 2, Eovia and are registered trademarks or trademarks of Eovia Corp in the United States and/or other countries. All other mentioned trademarks are the sole property of their respective owners.

benign_lump ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 9:53 AM

Ringo, If we buy the downloadable version now, how can we get the boxed version (manual, discs, etc.) when it comes out? Shipping charge, etc.? Thanks, Mike

MrMongo ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 11:24 AM

Just got the downloadable version -- I work at a "copy shop" so a printed manual is like, no sweat :) And first impressions, boyHowdy! An interface that actually makes sense to me! I can finally toss Amapi into the ol' trash and fergetaboudit. As claudia said in a post in the Carrara yahoo list, the manual is very well written and the movies in the PDF really helped me get a feel for the software. This feels like a home run for Eovia!

nomuse ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 12:50 PM

Shoot, that's cheaper than the Carrara upgrade! Are they trying to tell me something? (Of course, with my luck on Eovia's marketting ploys the moment I buy Hexagon will be the moment they decide to package it with Carrara4.)

PAGZone ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 1:38 PM

How's the stability? I won't use Amapi on Mac because it is so unstable. If Hexagon is stable I will buy it now. Regards, Paul

nomuse ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 1:57 PM

I'm pretty tempted to see if it will run on a G3 (dispite what it says). Otherwise I'll have to wait on a computer upgrade... which has to wait on a clutch upgrade...

Ringo ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 2:57 PM

FROM someone that just purchase Hexagon: ==================== I have to say, Hexagon is one of the most impressive pieces of software to come out of Eovia in quite a while. Those who want Amapi features without Amapi quirks will be in for a real treat. First off, if you are a seasoned Amapi user, you'll probably notice Hexagon's similarities right from the start. Once you get yourself acquainted with Hexagon's interface, you can pretty much jump right in and start working. However, there are some key differences between Hexagon and Amapi. First and foremost is the lack of a context menu. Right-clicking in Hexagon defaults to the rubber-band selection tool. While this is initially frustrating, you'll get over it quickly. This works incredibly well with Hexagon's workflow, since you'll be using it a lot. Next, Hexagon allows you to perform certain tasks that would have required jumping through hoops in Amapi. For example, you can now select a point on your model and delete it with the delete key without affecting the rest of your model. While that doesn't seem like such a big deal, it will literally cut hours off the time it takes to compete your model. Finally, Hexagon really is as fast as many of the video clips on Eovia's website have shown. In fact, Hexagon seems to outpace Amapi in almost every area. The only time I've noticed a slowdown in Hexagon was when I approached 250,000 polygons in a model using Hexagon's internal smoothing (which smooths objects in realtime like Carrara does). Which brings me to one last point... stability. Hexagon, in it's very first release has already proven to be far stable than many of Eovia's more established applications. I have only managed to get Hexagon to crash once, by pushing the smoothing into the 1,000,000 polygon range. Normally, doing something like this would take out Carrara and Amapi well before reaching 1,000,000 polygons. Eovia definitely deserves some credit on this one. Over all, I have a feeling Hexagon will become my primary modeling tool over Carrara and Amapi Pro. The software just seems to work without getting in the way.

Vidar ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 3:41 PM

HEXAGON just rocks,it is a great program,it is stable easy to learn and use,it is fast.you will love it!:)

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 4:21 PM

OK, can I ask a stupid question? Why does a company who already produces TWO modeling software (which was already quite unheard before), feel the need of producing a THIRD one? Which means: - three development teams salaries to pay - identical market micro-niche - products competing with each other with a superhigh risk of strangling each other I really, can not understand. Unless Amapi is going to be abandoned very soon - is it?

Ringo ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 4:26 PM

Amapi Designer will not continue only Amapi Pro will continue as the high-end CAD style modeler from Eovia. Hexagon is the new polygonial modeler that is much easier to use that Amapi Designer was/is.

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 4:40 PM

Ah, thanks, now it makes more sense. So if I understand correctly, Hegagon is going to be the entry-level solution, while Amapi is going to more or less become the admiral of the fleet.

jval ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 5:17 PM

...Hegagon is going to be the entry-level solution, while Amapi is going to more or less become the admiral of the fleet. I'm not sure. As I understand it Hexagon and Amapi will be aimed at different markets. Hexagon will appeal to those interested in organic modeling, illustration, animation, etc. Amapi Pro will beckon those producing models that will eventually result in an actual manufactured object ie a real automobile or shoe or lamp or whatever. Hexagon will be for arty types while AmapiPro will be for designers. If this is correct than neither should be thought of as either "entry level" or "pro". A product designer would prefer the accuracy and other benefits of AmapiPro's nurbs approach whereas the professional animator would appreciate Hexagon's sub-d polygon approach. Carrara's modeling abilities are considered rather weak by many and it may well be that in the future it will be relegated primarily to rendering, texturing and animation. In that case the approach will be similar to LightWave- separate renderer and modeler. Of course, I could be wrong. - Jack

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 5:58 PM

Jack, but will Hexagon let me model structural models also (buildings, furniture), or will it be strictly organic? Another question: will it let me model clothes for Poser? What would be the standard procedure then, import a Poser figure in Hexagon and use it for reference? Will Hexagon allow such import?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 6:10 PM

Hexagon is the new name for Amapi Designer 8.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 6:18 PM

The program is nice, so far. Easy to learn? No, unless you need a lot of prior modelling experience. The manual is good though, the tutorials are not imho. No audio and covers way too much too fast. The first modelling tutorial is leaps and bounds over the head of someone mostly new to actual modelling. It is fast though, and it looks like once I can figure out the actual way to work, it will be powerful. The layout of the tools looks very nice and intuitive, nothing at all like Amapi (which I ran screaming from due to migraines trying to do anything in it) But easy? Not to me. One gripe to me is the rotate requiring the alt key when using mouse. Wish I could change the default mouse wheel press to rotate since I use that a whole lot. Maybe next version. JDexter

Ringo ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 6:32 PM

JD. Are you using the universal manipular? It has the scale, rotate, move all in one. Also you have the tutorials and also the movies that come with the PDF manual. Have you found those? Later Ringo

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 6:48 PM ยท edited Tue, 10 May 2005 at 6:50 PM

Thanks Ringo.

Yes, I have the manual printed right in front of me, and the PDF loaded with the videos.

I'm making (very slow) progress, but other than seeing how nifty the workflow is, the pace of the videos are just too quick to follow. Without any audio portion, and at that speed, I am constantly pausing it just to see what he/she is clicking on in the video.

If I was completely familiar with the interface, the video would be more helpful, but as it is, I am pausing, swapping back to the program (if I don't know what tool they are using), locating the icon they are clicking on, reading the definition of the icon, then going back to the video.

I'll catch on, I'm sure. But from a novice viewpoint, it's a bit heavy.

JDexter Edit: Thank goodness I was able to print the manual at work. It's definitely something to have in front of you the whole time, and seems very well written.

Message edited on: 05/10/2005 18:50

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 6:55 PM

Oh, one more thing. The interface layout itself, is actually the best thing I have worked with in any program. Whomever designed the layout of it with all the collapsable panels needs a raise. I really do feel like I have everything available at a mouse-click, and nothing is interferring with any of the rest of the panels. Very nice, but now all other programs are spoiled for me. ;) JDexter

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:12 PM

Anyone? can't find them on the web site. (not closeup at least)

jval ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:20 PM

Orio, I haven't actually used AmapiPro. My comments are just my interpretation of the information on Eovia's website. There is absolutely no reason to restrict Hexagon modeling to organic objects. Go ahead and make a car or furniture or an airplane. But if your model will eventually be used directly in the manufacturing process you will be better off with AmapiPro. It can communicate with 2D CAD systems for manufacturing purposes and also saves special file formats (IGES, SAT, etc.) for manufacturing machinery. AmaiPro's NURBS offers tremendous shape control which is very handy in product design. They can be used for organic modeling too but if you intend to animate the model then Heaxagon's sub-d polygons are better. For instance, in many situations you will have to convert Amapi's NURBS to polygons. Unfortunately the result often (most of the time?) has far more polygons then are ideal for animation. Hexagon should not be as polygon heavy. Hexagon will also let you work with edge loops which will be great for animating and morphing. (This last is way too complex to explain here. Search the web if you are interested.) You can certainly model buildings with Hexagon, especially if the result is intended primarily for visualization. But I don't know if it offers sufficient measurement accuracy for anything more. I think I read that AmapiPro is noted for its degree of potential accuracy. I haven't bought Hexagon yet but should get around to it in the next day or so. However I have similar programs such as Wings3D and Silo. Based on that I should think that Hexagon would serve admirably for modeling clothing (or anything else) intended for use in Poser. Of course, modeling is just a small part of what is necessary to produce typical Poser clothing or figures. Hexagon will import obj files so you should be able to bring a Poser figure into it for reference purposes. You don't have to import the entire figure though. Just bring in the necessary body parts- why complicate things with extra polygons you don't need? I don't know if Hexagon can be used to create Poser morphs though. If it doesn't screw around with the mesh or reorder the vertices it will probably be okay. But the only way to find out is to try. Given that I have Silo (which I really like) I'm not at all sure that I need Hexagon. However, I am very interested in how it might integrate with Carrara and it seems like its spline capability might be better than Silo's. But now that I know I can get it for just $99 I don't have to worry about deciding- it's not much more than a moderately nice restaurant dinner for two. - Jack

jval ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:24 PM

When about converting NURBS to polygons I said "...often (most of the time?) has far more polygons then are ideal for animation..." I was thinking of Rhino3D. This may or may not be true for AmapiPro- I don't know. Sorry about the brain burp... - Jack

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:34 PM

Thanks Jack. I'd like to learn about useability with Poser. Primarily Poser morph creation and clothes modeling. (although I understand that the software is very new and probably not yet tested in such situations) Also it would be like to see some interface screenshots. I have Amapi 6 (I think) from a magazine, never could understand it or like it, but judging frmo the videos I see on Eovia's website, Hexagon's procedures seem more intuitive. I am more of the "Carrara modeler" party (although I only have Carrara 1). Can not really justify upgrading Carrara because I use Vue and Cinema as renderers. But Hexagon modeling looks really nice. I think that the main thing will be to get some nice tutorials in the future. Those on the website really look WAY too fast for learning. And Audio will help. I hope taht maybe someone will produce a DVD or two with audio tutorials that are more slow paced. I'd really like a generic modeler that is fast and efficient and can be a good support for Vue scenes, so that I don't have to delve into Cinema 4D modeling depths for simple tasks.

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:02 PM

file_236171.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the interface with the panels all open:

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:05 PM ยท edited Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:05 PM

file_236172.jpg

And here is what it looked like in the initial startup:

All the panels open and close sort of like Carrara, except they don't overlap the working area. The working area dynamically resizes to accomodate the panels. I hate the layering method a lot of programs use (coughparameterwindowposercough), and as I said before, I really didn't like the Amapi interface, at least the version I had tried.

I hope posting these screenshots are okay. Not sure why they didn't post this on their product site.

JDexter

Message edited on: 05/10/2005 20:05

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:14 PM

Thank you very much Jack! I like VERY MUCH: - the tabbed style on top of window la 3DSMAX - the "room-like" environment la Carrara - Hurra!! I really hated the Amapi's "table"! - the windows tabs on bottom - parameters on the right Overall it seems they looked much at MAX - VERY WELL DONE. I don't think you did wrong with these screenshots - I think Eovia did wrong not publishing them. They are what probably will make me buy! Now what I would like to know is if Hexagon offers a tool similar to that of Silo called ""Split Loop", that split edges and let them slide, and bevels them on the fly.

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:15 PM

oh I was forgetting - I'm on Windows, are your screen grabs from the windows version? thanks again

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:21 PM

I'm not Jack, btw, hehe, he didn't buy Hexagon yet iirc. I don't know Silo at all, but is split-loop like Fillet but leaves the original edge in place? Remember, I am new to this, so I am not sure. There are 3 edge operations I worked through, and they sound like what you are talking about but not sure. They are all Edge extraction things: Extract Around, Extract Along, and Extract Fillet. Not sure though. JDexter

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:22 PM

Yes, I'm on Windows, sorry, forgot to mention that. JDexter

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:23 PM

Oops.... sorry J !

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:26 PM

Attached Link: http://www.nevercenter.com/videos/index.php?vidclip=split_loop.mov&artist=Sunit%20Parekh

"I don't know Silo at all, but is split-loop like Fillet but leaves the original edge in place?" I give you the direct link (attached) to their Quicktime movie (it's small), it will explain it better than any word I could use.

jval ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:26 PM

Orio, It sounds as if Hexagon would suit your purposes just fine. I say this based on my subdivision modeling experiences and on the assumption that Hexagon actually works as advertised (aside from the occasional bug.) The only thing I am unsure about is its suitability for creating Poser morphs. Although it should work there is no guarantee it will. I bought Silo3D as soon as it was released. It was easy to make Poser morphs except for the fact that they just didn't work. It turned out that Silo renumbered the vertices when it save the new object file. Once I discovered this I explained the problem to the Silo developers and asked if there was any good reason to renumber the vertices. They said no. It wasn't something they had considered and the renumbering wasn't even intentional. Within a week they had a new version available correcting the problem. So you can see that although you should be able to create morphs with Hexagon you must be prepared to discover you cannot. If you can't Eovia may or may not correct the problem. Before Silo was corrected I was able to fix my Silo made morph targets by running the obj through UVMapper. You could try that if Hexagon messes up your Poser morphs. But again, I cannot promise this will work. Perhaps someone here who has Hexagon and knows how to create Poser morphs can try it out for you. As for tutorials, the web is full of them- especially for subdivision modeling. If you have no modeling experience they can be confusing if you are trying to use them with a different modeler. But most modelers have similar tools- just different tool names. Once you learn how Hexagon's tools work and what they look like you will recognize which to use when following those "alien program" tutorials. I found the easiest way for me to learn was just to play with the program. I learned what the tools did and what the results looked like but still had no real idea when or why to use them. I had plenty of interesting looking "abstracts" but nothing one might call "real". But by that time (maybe a week of easy evenings) I was comfortable enough with the program so that tutorials actually made sense to me. My tool might have had a different name or was activated differently but I could recognize the process. It didn't matter if the tool was called "cut" or if it was called "connect". What mattered was what it did. Because I now knew my program's mechanics I could concentrate on "why" to do something instead of "how". In the end, that made the tutorials much more useful. If you are serious about making Poser content you might want to look at "Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5 - including Poser 3, 4 and Pro pack" by BL Render. It's packed with information and taught me a lot. It taught me that I had better things to do with my life! Seriously. I don't want to discourage you- after all, we're different people with different interests. But creating good poser content requires a lot of knowledge, effort and time. This book will save you hours, probably weeks or months, of grief compared to trying to learn it all by yourself. Recommended. I think there are also one or two Poser clothing modeling tutorials in the Renderosity market. - Jack

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:32 PM ยท edited Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:33 PM

Orio, that looks like a really nice feature.

At this point I cannot answer that. I haven't reached anything that looks like that yet, but I am only halfway through the Vertex items and have a ton more to go.

JDexter

Message edited on: 05/10/2005 20:33

Orio ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 8:39 PM

Thank you Jack (the real Jack this time) :-) I only have one main problem - TIME. Learning doesn't scare me, it's just that I don't have much time to learn modeling tools that are not the one I work with. This means that I am always on the lookout for something simple and fast. Fast being the keyword here. Hexagon having a Carraresque/MAXesque interface as compared to previous Amapi-own is a big plus because I like Carrara interface and I always found it easy to use Max when I had the chance to put my hands on it (I don't have it). As for Poser clothing, I know it will require a lot of patience and time. That's why I never began so far, and probably won't in the near future either. But when I'm shopping for a software, I always want to know compatibility with my projects present or future. Your info about your experience with Silo and Poser morph is really helpful as is your advice. Thanks much!

noviski ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 9:12 PM

...just kidding... ;-)

whkguamusa ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 9:13 PM

I've taken parts of figures from both P5(Don & Judy) and DAZ(M3,V3 & The Freak) imported them into Hex (as obj) pushed and pulled some verts - sent them back to Poser5. They do load as morphs without errors or exploding body parts.I'm no Poser morphing guru but at a basic level, Hexagon looks like it will do the job. wayne k

jval ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 10:18 PM

For those who are unaware there is a Hexagon group at Yahoo called EoviaHexagon. There is another Hex forum at www.3dxtract.com. This one could be particularly useful as it also has forums for Carrara, Amapi, Carrara plugins and the Carrara Studio 3 Handbook as well as being the home for an excellent pdf magazine devoted to Eovia products. At the moment the Yahoo group seems to have more activity but it would be nice to see more people at 3dxtract. I personally suspect it might be of greatest benefit if we could group around just one or two forums rather than a dozen spread all over the place. (disclaimer: I have no connection with either group other than as a particpant.) - Jack

jval ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 10:19 PM

Thank you Wayne. That's good to hear. - Jack

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 12:51 AM

"I personally suspect it might be of greatest benefit if we could group around just one or two forums rather than a dozen spread all over the place." To attack or defend against?

sailor_ed ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 5:23 AM

Defend of course, we're all much too nice to attack.;-) On topic, I must say I am pleased with what I have seen so far with Hexagon. The relationship to Amapi is too strong to be ignored and in some ways I think this is the restructuring of Amapi that has been so long overdue. Ed

JDexter ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 7:08 AM ยท edited Wed, 11 May 2005 at 7:15 AM

Jack,

I can't find any group at all at Yahoo that you mentioned. Search on Hexagon and Eovia. Only turns up Carrara, Amapi, and Raydream.

JDexter Edit:Found it. Got a direct link to it from 3dxtract. Weird that you can't go to Yahoo Groups and just search for it. I never was a fan of Yahoo though. Thanks for the info.

Message edited on: 05/11/2005 07:15

jval ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 7:15 AM

JDexter, I also tried a search for the group at Yahoo and couldn't find it- how odd... Fortunately I know it can be located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EoviaHexagon/. I suppose I should have posted the url in the first place but didn't think it necessary. - Jack

jval ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 8:06 AM

Sorry about the cross-post. I blame JDexter, who should know better than to post at the same time as I. Shonner- I don't know if this is a defense or an atack but I'm trying... some would say very trying... :) - Jack

Ringo ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 8:34 AM

Attached Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EoviaHexagon/?yguid=1058378

Here is the link to the group @ yahoo. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EoviaHexagon/?yguid=1058378 I'm the moderator of the group and the Hexagon Eovia developers have just join the group, monitor and answering question. Come an visit us. Regards Ringo Monfort

Ringo ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 8:36 AM

Attached Link: http://www.steph3d.net/Dossier/Forum//viewtopic.php?t=135

Link to Steph3D a Cinema4D user that beta tested Hexagon. http://www.steph3d.net/Dossier/Forum//viewtopic.php?t=135 Check out his screen shot of Hexagon in action. Later Ringo

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 11:39 AM

I like the idea of having several sites for Eovia apps/forums, rather than centralizing everything into one site that can then have control of all the information. I prefer a free market that doesn't stifle competition.

sailor_ed ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 12:32 PM

I agree, Shonner, however, having said that I will probably do most of my Hexagon related posting on 3dxtract which seems to me to have the most independent forum so far. Unless this forum is changed to a Carrara/Hexagon forum. Which I doubt.

falconperigot ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 1:11 PM

Eovia says Hexagon is "Highly-approachable, didactic and evolutionary". What exactly is 'didactic software'? Should I get on my knees?

jval ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 1:16 PM

A good point Shonner and one I had not considered. Yet, given the nature of the web, I doubt this would be much of a problem. Unlike the non-virual world, one who feels a particular site is over controlled can set up a rival forum in minutes. At times anarchy does have its advantages :) I also will likely concentrate myself at 3dxtract. They have done much for the Eovia community and it would be nice if users rewarded them with active forums. - Jack

jval ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 1:27 PM

...What exactly is 'didactic software'? 'Didactic' means a thing is intended to instruct, often in the moral sense and often excessively. Given the general tone of their initial description I suspect they actually meant 'autodidactic' which would imply that Hexagon is particularly easy to learn without outside instruction- ideal for the 'autodidact' or self-learner. But autodidactic would actually describe the learner rather than the software. In the ens both are obtuse terms that tend to confuse rather than instruct. Ironic, no? - Jack

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.