Fri, Sep 20, 1:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Unbelievably Complicated Figure Shader for Apollo Maximus (AMUCFS)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 4:46 PM

mungopark had problems with matmatic on OSX, probably parmatic is the same.

He found that you have to install my folders not in Runtime:Python but in some other folder called PythonExtensions

I don't know why the MAC Poser is different.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

jdredline ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 5:56 PM · edited Fri, 24 August 2007 at 5:56 PM

Quote - mungopark ... found that you have to install my folders not in Runtime:Python but in some other folder called PythonExtensions....

HOLY Cow! I'm about as new to Mac as I am Poser and I would have never figurd that out.  What an odd way to do things!

Funny though, I re-read through this entire thread to look for the info only to find it as the penultimate post on the previous page.

BB, that is defintely vidal info for your user manual!  Don't lose it!

Oh, BTW, I'm all good again.  it worked like a charm but I have a new thing:  the display window stays open and here's a sample of the many many lines that print evey time I do something:

kEventCodeKEYSCHANGED
------ Parmatic Updating Parameters
      kEventCodeKEYSCHANGED
      kEventCodeITEMRENAMED
       Unlisted values 40000
      kEventCodeKEYSCHANGED
      kEventCodeITEMRENAMED
       Unlisted values 40000
      kEventCodeKEYSCHANGED
      kEventCodeKEYSCHANGED
      kEventCodeKEYSCHANGED
      kEventCodeACTORSELECTIONCHANGED

So, here I go again - what did I screw up this time?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 6:22 AM

jdredline,

What we are about to address is a common failing of humans, and perhaps you did NOT fail in this, so please do not be insulted if I accuse you wrongly. I have to address it first because it happens so often and I waste SO much time because of it.

OK here's the deal. The older version of Parmatic (Parmatic 1) printed stuff. The newer version (Parmatic 2) does not. Every time anybody has reported printing going constantly, it was because they installed Parmatic 1 and Parmatic 2 and they were RUNNING PARMATIC 1.

If you have Parmatic 1, you should probably delete it.

Parmatic 2 is a whole folder, where Parmatic 1 was just one file.

On the other hand, Parmatic 2 can print constantly like Parmatic 1 did. Did you change the verbose settings?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

jdredline ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2007 at 12:31 PM · edited Wed, 29 August 2007 at 12:33 PM

BB,

False alarm.  After a restart it never came back and the shader is working as expected.

However, I did have another good laugh at your last post.  Its so typical of brainiacs like yourself not to have any people-skills.  The way you scold me for being an idiot is an absolute blast!  Not knowing a polite or kind way to state things.  Just coldly and bluntly calling it out as if you were Data or Seven of Nine from the Star Trek series.  I love it.

Don't get wrong.  As I stated before, please, yell at me all you want when I'm an idiot for I worhsip your brain for creating and sharing this fantastic free shader for AM!

Can I get a user's manual, please?  I'm not the "go in and experiment" kind of guy.  I'm the "open up the manual and learn what everything does" kind of guy.  Then, once I know what things do, I experiment.

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2007 at 4:02 PM

this is not apollo but james.i used the apollo shader. i just love thsi skin shader because it looks so good.
i was also playing with the lights.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2007 at 5:29 PM

Well done! That's really looking great.

See, I don't need to do everything for every figure.

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 26 September 2007 at 1:46 AM

thanks

one thing that i noticed last week is that with your infinite light you can make the shadow more  then 1.
for example in the second pic i used: shadow 1.300

how did you do that?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 26 September 2007 at 3:52 PM

Quote - thanks

one thing that i noticed last week is that with your infinite light you can make the shadow more  then 1.

how did you do that?

I didn't do anything to make that happen. I didn't know that it happened. Wierd. I just clicked the plus sign and saved my lights.

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2007 at 2:44 AM

Quote - > Quote - thanks

how did you do that?

I didn't do anything to make that happen. I didn't know that it happened. Wierd. I just clicked the plus sign and saved my lights.

interesting. have you tryed it? 

DefaultGuy ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2007 at 4:27 PM

bookmarked

JB123 ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2007 at 6:07 PM

Hi BagginsBill I posted this on the forums at CP (Im BJ there) in the Image tribute thread after I saw your post with that new ghoul preset Thanks. I would have posted in the developers forum in the V4 UCFS thread ( to get your attention faster)but this thread seemed more relevent. 

From the Apollo forum/ Image tribute to Anton and Apollo thread at CP

"Hey thanks BagginsBill. Hopefully you will see this post because I have few nice suggestions for your shader that would make it even more versitile.

1. I would like the ability to control nail color and maybe specular for it.
    Now since Apollo already has a nails material group no mask map would be needed.

2. I would also like the ability to control nipple color. This one a mask map
    would be needed but the good thing is it can be made easy by anyone. Even
    myself ( I freely admit Im no texture artist but Im pretty good at post work so I know I could make one.)

So what do you think? Is it possible we might see this in an update. Id pay $

That and a Big Pdf manual compiling all your tips on various subjects at Rendo,RuntimeDna etc. Id pay extra $ for that.Lol

Really there's so much good info out there and Im trying to learn but it's sometimes hard to find and there's not enough time in the day. Most of it is over my head but the more I read and experiment the more it sinks in."

Morkonan ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2007 at 11:22 PM

baginsbill,

I'd just like to say thanks.

"Thanks." :)

I've bookmarked this thread and others regarding your lightsets and shaders.  I've been trying to learn more about lighting and your posts and downloads have done wonders for explaining the principles.

Thank you for adding to my personal enjoyment of this hobby!  Great work!

DigitalDreamer ( ) posted Tue, 25 December 2007 at 9:51 AM · edited Tue, 25 December 2007 at 9:52 AM

Well, this freebie has rekindled my interest in Apollo M... I've been wanting a more realistic male figure for a long time and had forgotten about AM. Many thanks for your generosity.

Have a great Xmas and a peaceful, happy and prosperous new year

DD

Circumvent ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2007 at 1:18 PM

Bill
This is a great addition to Apollo.  I like how realistic it makes him.  I do have a question regarding applying the shaders.  I know I'm doing something wrong because when I apply the shader tree, the dials are there but it has a minus sign instead of a plus.  Thanks.

Circumvent ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2007 at 1:28 PM

Bill
Nevermind, I got it.  This works great, thanks for the new script.

jdredline ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 9:49 PM

file_398969.jpg

Hey Bagginsbill,

I think your AMUCFS may be too complicated for close-ups.  I tried twice to render this picture.

My Xeon Mac Pro Quad core spun its wheels for an hour and a half and then finsihed with the insert image.

Any idea what's going on here?

JDRedLine

cherokee69 ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 10:11 PM

file_398970.jpg

You evidently have something else going on there because I rendered this image in about a minute. And, I dont' have a Mac Pro Quad. I have a PC with a 300MHz hyperthreading processor and 2GB RAM. NNot sure why your having a problem. The AMUCFS is awesome.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 11:11 PM

I can render it pretty quickly on my Mac.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 6:18 AM

I know this matters. Among those doing the speed test,were you on P6 or P7?

I believe P7 has a problem with extereme closeup when using displacement maps.

I can get P7 to render at a crawl even with a simple sphere and a single node plugged into displacement on the sphere.

When it goes super slow, it usually is because it is out of memory and is swapping. When I do a super closeup in P7, my memory shoots over 2 Gigabytes and swapping then ruins the performance.

I dismissed it as a fluke when I hit this, because I was just amusing myself and didn't really need the extreme closeup.

JDRedline - try extreme closeup on a sphere, using a turbulence node for displacement. Get close and closer. Does it use more memory? If so, we should start a new thread about this.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 6:21 AM

Oh and when I say extreme closeup, I mean that the bumps on an orange-sized sphere should look like huge rocks.

jancory ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 7:17 AM

P7 does seem to have trouble with closeups in general--i haven't done your sphere test, but i've had P7 poof/disappear during many closeups, enough times to see a pattern....

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

jefsview ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 4:42 PM

Ooh, Smith-Micro -- where's that P7 SR3?

Oh wait, they're still trying to figure out how to replace the e-frontier logos over at Content Paradise to the new SM ones.... once they figure that out, we might see that SR3.
-- Jeff

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2008 at 4:43 AM

bagginsbill
i am looking at the nodes but i can not find the bump on the face.
can you explain how you did the bump on the face or just on the nose?

thanks.

i guess you used spots? but it looks like its rotated.

miikaawaadizi ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 5:37 AM

Riddick Test

Damn, but this looks cool!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 6:27 AM

Quote - Hi BagginsBill I posted this on the forums at CP (Im BJ there) in the Image tribute thread after I saw your post with that new ghoul preset Thanks.

"Hey thanks BagginsBill. Hopefully you will see this post because I have few nice suggestions for your shader that would make it even more versitile.

1. I would like the ability to control nail color and maybe specular for it.
    Now since Apollo already has a nails material group no mask map would be needed.

2. I would also like the ability to control nipple color. This one a mask map
    would be needed but the good thing is it can be made easy by anyone. Even
    myself ( I freely admit Im no texture artist but Im pretty good at post work so I know I could make one.)

So what do you think? Is it possible we might see this in an update. Id pay $

That and a Big Pdf manual compiling all your tips on various subjects at Rendo,RuntimeDna etc. Id pay extra $ for that.Lol

Really there's so much good info out there and Im trying to learn but it's sometimes hard to find and there's not enough time in the day. Most of it is over my head but the more I read and experiment the more it sinks in."

Hi JB/BJ. Sorry I missed this and never answered. I have too much going on.

Controlling mask effects (something like a transmap but used to choose between multiple material effects on the same material zone) and dual-materials (multiple colors, multiple finishes) is something that will be built into VSS and very easy to do.

I'm trying to re-arrange my consulting work so I can devote 40% of my time to graphics. So far that's been impossible. Still I'm working on it.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 6:33 AM

Quote - bagginsbill
i am looking at the nodes but i can not find the bump on the face.
can you explain how you did the bump on the face or just on the nose?

thanks.

i guess you used spots? but it looks like its rotated.

Ice-boy:

To really understand the shader, you must look at the matmatic script.

It is in Runtime:libraries:Pose:Apollo_UCFS:AMUCFS.mm1.txt

That file is the master file that produces all of the shaders for AMUCFS. There is quite a bit of "intellectual property" in that file and if you want to know how things work, you should study that.

The pores on the nose and cheeks are not from Spots nodes - that would be far too simple.

Look in the script for the "Pores" method. It begins with this:
**# This method generates pores. It was adapted from my Polkadot Matmatic script!
def Pores(n = 200, mask = None):
 # n is how many dots per unit in U and V
That method generates a shader network for the bump and a mask to selectively darken the face where the pores are deepest. It is based on the idea of dividing the UV space into tiny diamond shapes, and assigning a random circle with a random radius and position into each of those diamonds. These random circles are then used to generate thousands of different tornado shaped depressions on the face.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 6:34 AM

If you continue to read the scrip you'll see the Skin Shader.

That's where I use Spots - for freckles and moles and capillaries and other skin color irregularities - 5 Spots nodes in all.

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 10:16 AM

thanks

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 08 November 2009 at 12:00 AM · edited Sun, 08 November 2009 at 12:01 AM

Quote - Drum roll please ....... after weeks of work - it's ready.

The Unbelievably Complicated Figure Shader for Apollo Maximus is finished. The shader system uses the standard textures that come with AM. All of the new features are done with procedural shaders. There are over 120 nodes in the face shader, and dozens more on the other zones.

Over 40 figure dials let you adjust the shaders from the pose room. No need to navigate the shader tree in the material room.

Also, I've published a new version of parmatic. You need that to make this shader system do the shader parameters on the figure. I've also published my light set.

With this shader system you can get hundreds of distinct looks from this one set of textures. It comes with many presets to help get you started.

Click here for the AMUCFS Shader thread at RDNA

Click here for the Parmatic 2 thread at RDNA

Click here for my light thread at RDNA

These links are no longer valid. So I did a search for AMUCFS at RDNA and found the thread, but no link to the shader on that page that I could see:
www.runtimedna.com/forum/showthread.php

Anyone have any clue how to get a copy of the shader, please?

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 08 November 2009 at 12:54 AM

RobynsVeil - the thing is that it's very pre-VSS.  iirc, no linearizing, which is so much of the power of VSS.  not to say you shouldn't find it.  i'm not sure how to, if you can't get it by searching RDNA.  just an fyi.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 08 November 2009 at 1:03 AM

Apparently there was a mm1 script that came with it, cobaltdream, that somehow incorporated Parmatic stuff into the shader. I was going to have a look at the script to see if I could see if I could get by this issue:
www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php
that I'm having with Parmatic.

My understanding is that the script was included in the pz2 files...

Thanks for that, anyway.

Metaphor of Chooks

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 08 November 2009 at 2:05 AM

oh!

well, i have a copy.  i'm pretty sure bagginsbill wouldn't mind if i shared code with you.  do you know what you're looking for?  there's a few different scripts.

actually, i'd bet his water would be a better example of Parmatic.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 08 November 2009 at 2:13 AM

and duh!  i didn't re-read the earlier posts in this thread.  i'll go look for Runtime:libraries:Pose:Apollo_UCFS:AMUCFS.mm1.txt.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 08 November 2009 at 2:49 AM

Thanks, cobaltdream - you're a treasure! Having a look now at the Water.mm1.txt thingie... yep, you're right, good examples of setting up PM: nodes. Now, to get that other problem solved: how to save them so that they get assigned to the right group properly when you double-click on the pz2.

Metaphor of Chooks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.