Fri, Sep 20, 10:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:16 am)

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

AbiJ ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 6:07 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - You are pretty safe, ain't you. 5000 Miles or so is a long way for a whip to reach 😉

lol, you mean you dont have a big one??? :tt2: LMAO

Abi.

Be very glad you are wherever you are! LOL. Otherwise you'be spr.... time to shut up!

lol, I'll be spending all night imagining different possible ends to that sentence now! 😉

Abi.

WARNING: This user is officially A TEASE!

Rendo Gallery...

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=730935

DA Gallery...

http://abijen.deviantart.com/gallery/

Proud artist on...

http://www.facebook.com/DigitalStardust

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 6:10 PM

If you can't figure it out, there is the PM option. Now I'm off to bed before giving anything away :)

My DA Gallery

AbiJ ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 6:17 PM

Quote - If you can't figure it out, there is the PM option. Now I'm off to bed before giving anything away :)

And ruin a night of fun scenario's running though my mind? never! PM you tomorrow to see if my imagination is anywhere close.  hehe

Abi.

Rendo Gallery...

DA Gallery...

Proud artist on...

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 8:28 PM

alright.. first impression of 4.5?  for my own workflow.. freakin LOVE it...  the issues I had with clothing meshes intersecting genesis' mesh and causing my trans maps to be negated is no more.. no more going thru the ol' "convert to weight map..  transfer utility" b.s.  you just pop your hair or clothes on and the morphs are just... THERE.  YAY!  And.. the smoothing modifier now?  it just...  WORKS.  YAY!  before.. when making and testing new textures for clothes.. it was an 1/2hr to hour long nightmare of fiddling with morphs until clothes looked right and didn't conflct with the genesis mesh.  I've yet to fully explore the push modifier but I'll get into that soon.  I'll keep my version of 4.0 around until GenX is updated for 4.5; but, after that 4.0 will get trashcanned.

I know Paolo said no code was changed in 2.5; but, I loaded in a simple model, clothes, one mesh light scene and it's rendering like twice as fast as it was last night.  That and after only 50 passes; it's looking nice enough that I could easily clean it up in photoshop and call it done.

All in all, I'm a happy camper with 4.5; and this is coming from an upgrade hater.

bobvan ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 8:37 PM · edited Tue, 21 August 2012 at 8:37 PM

Quote - alright.. first impression of 4.5?  for my own workflow.. freakin LOVE it...  the issues I had with clothing meshes intersecting genesis' mesh and causing my trans maps to be negated is no more.. no more going thru the ol' "convert to weight map..  transfer utility" b.s.  you just pop your hair or clothes on and the morphs are just... THERE.  YAY!  And.. the smoothing modifier now?  it just...  WORKS.  YAY!  before.. when making and testing new textures for clothes.. it was an 1/2hr to hour long nightmare of fiddling with morphs until clothes looked right and didn't conflct with the genesis mesh.  I've yet to fully explore the push modifier but I'll get into that soon.  I'll keep my version of 4.0 around until GenX is updated for 4.5; but, after that 4.0 will get trashcanned.

I know Paolo said no code was changed in 2.5; but, I loaded in a simple model, clothes, one mesh light scene and it's rendering like twice as fast as it was last night.  That and after only 50 passes; it's looking nice enough that I could easily clean it up in photoshop and call it done.

All in all, I'm a happy camper with 4.5; and this is coming from an upgrade hater.

Thanks for the positive review I wonder why it works well for some and not for others... I guess I will have to try it for myself later this week..

1lonewolf ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 9:32 PM

Hello all! I have just installed reality to daz studio 4.5 pro and it works marvelous!  I do have a question tho.  I can't seem to locate any precets for reality i.e. lights, mesh lights, well anything actually.  What am I doing wrong? Any help would be wonderfull.

Sincerely,

Grey

superboomturbo ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 9:37 PM

Quote - Hello all! I have just installed reality to daz studio 4.5 pro and it works marvelous!  I do have a question tho.  I can't seem to locate any precets for reality i.e. lights, mesh lights, well anything actually.  What am I doing wrong? Any help would be wonderfull.

Sincerely,

Grey

The presets work in the Light tab, down in the bottom right corner in Reality. Watch your gain though; sometimes it can light up your scene when experimenting :-) 

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx

1lonewolf ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 9:44 PM

Thank you for responding so fast!  I dont follow you tho, are you saying the presets are actually in the reality window?  I only see the components that relate to reality itself... I have also checked the "lights" tab in studio no joy.  I wonder if it was installed correctly and not reading? I have installed it to the studio4 folder that it chose as default.   

Thanks,

Grey

superboomturbo ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 10:04 PM · edited Tue, 21 August 2012 at 10:06 PM

Light up was supposed to read 'blow out'. I've had about three hours of sleep in the last 48. Wife in the hospital :-(

In Reality across the top should read as Materials/Lights/ Camera, etc. In the light tab at the bottom right there is a clickable bar that says 'presets' with values set for certain lights and/or effects. 

ESarge ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 10:09 PM

Mine show up in Content Library>Daz Studio Formats>Rerality-Add Ons. The Reality-Add ons is right under the My Library.

Sarge

superboomturbo ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 10:14 PM

Ahh, sorry, I just got what you were asking. My cognitive skills are uber crap at the moment. 

If you're using Studio 4, you can use the search function, type in 'mesh' and a result with the mesh lights with pop up. It may be 'hiding' in the Daz Studio section of your content file tree/window, depending on what your interface has. Look for the reality Reality folder, then lights, or props for water.  

I do apologize for confusing you. My fumes are a bit low... 

StevieC ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 11:14 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Finally managed to crank out another render out of my poor, ailing laptop!

I call it: Sizzling Summer Heat.....

1lonewolf ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 11:29 PM

Thank you for helping, I really apreciate it!  I wish your wife a speedy recovery! Please get some rest!

Thanks,

Grey

bobvan ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2012 at 11:46 PM

Quote - Finally managed to crank out another render out of my poor, ailing laptop!

I call it: Sizzling Summer Heat.....

Good one nice water effect

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:27 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:27 AM

Quote - Thank you for helping, I really apreciate it!  I wish your wife a speedy recovery! Please get some rest!

Thanks,

Grey

Thank you for the well-wishing! We definitely need it!! 

Sleep, on the other hand, is coming hard tonight. Might as well get some work done 'til I pass out naturally 

Ah, and nice wet maps, Stevie! Looks great

callad ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:14 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: 'A Lovely Smile' (full size)

First let me wish that the wife of SuperBoomTurbo will be home safe and sound soon!

@Stevie: Lovely render! Love her skin :)

@Abi: 200?? lol that MUST be a lotta fun! wink

Here's my latest. I'm acually pleased how this came out. Hope you guys like it too.

Girl on chair

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:28 AM

So this is what you do while you are at work, creating stunning renders!

I believe this is the first render where you used body jewels. Nice one.

My DA Gallery

callad ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:50 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:51 AM

Quote - So this is what you do while you are at work, creating stunning renders!

Thanks Anton :) Actually, I have my hollidays right now, work is something for next week ;)

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 7:53 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 7:53 AM

Attached Link: Plaything

file_485539.jpg

Of course its nice Charley another nasty one from me :)

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 9:07 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 9:08 AM

Question for the Shark man. Besides loving the features in Ds 4.5 are you having the same issues as Brad ie running 1/2 the speed of studio 4.0.3 ? Lagging when swiching content ? Or any other general lagging?

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:19 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:29 AM

bob.. yeah.. there's a tad bit of lag.. it's more irritating than deal-breaking though.. it took me all of about 2 minutes to get accustomed to it to the point that it's negligible.  My one pissy point that I've found so far is that GenX is broken.  I even pulled callad's trick and saved a copy of my old studio.  Where it breaks is that GenX has to read Genesis' geometry before transferring the morphs; and Genesis got an overhaul for 4.5. So it pops an error when reading.  I've almost quit using it though as I mostly just dial up my own toons now and just use the textures from my 4th gen characters.

once again.. on the lag issue.. don't let the haters blow it out of proportion.  say when i load a piece of clothing onto genesis and then go to the smart content tab for it's textures.. it might take like 10 seconds for the textures to show  up.  this may be major for others; but, for me, the pluses outweigh that.  hell.. i can't even really call it a "minus" i'd just call it a quirk.  i always remember back to when i first starting using photoshop on a 486 dx/100 machine.  it would take 4 or 5 minutes to load.  now it takes maybe 20 seconds on this machine.

I blame it all on our cell phone/superhighway/jet airplane/microwave popcorn society. If waiting 10 seconds for something to show instead of 2 seconds is an issue; then there's deeper problems than just a tad bit of lag in a piece of software.  Hell, I remember when I was running a software resale website; I'd hand-burn custom cds to mail to customers.  I'd keep a book handy because I only had a 4x cdrw.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:29 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:31 AM

Quote - bob.. yeah.. there's a tad bit of lag.. it's more irritating than deal-breaking though.. it took me all of about 2 minutes to get accustomed to it to the point that it's negligible.  My one pissy point that I've found so far is that GenX is broken.  I even pulled callad's trick and saved a copy of my old studio.  Where it breaks is that GenX has to read Genesis' geometry before transferring the morphs; and Genesis got an overhaul for 4.5. So it pops an error when reading.  I've almost quit using it though as I mostly just dial up my own toons now and just use the textures from my 4th gen characters.

I bought GenX never bothered getting into it doubt I ever will so its no biggie for me. I am still ok with using 4th gen figures. Especially having so many shoes for them!  I use face gen to create characters if it were not for that and my main character being Genesis based, I prolly would of gone back to DS3. I can post work stuff easily so its no biggie. I am most likely going to 4.5 only which is why I am asking the question before.  The only plug in I was missing was Reality. I am curious to see the speed and if there is any quality improvement to 3Delight. Might come in handy for the odd render.. I have some nice light sets like DT's cloud 9 and Slies of Reality for Reality & DS.

I know I can revert back to DS 4.0 if needed but why bother? As Paolo mentioned there will be no more updates for the 4.0 plug in. I have everything in a file ready to go. I just want to do it when I am relaxed with a lot of time on my hands..

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:32 AM

Bob.. see my edit just above your post.  I'm not sure if I have the scene saved that I just rendered in Lux.. but it's just about done baking.  I'll render it in my old high quality 3delight settings and post both.  that is IF i saved the scene... if not i can recreate it pretty easily.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:38 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:40 AM

LOL this is what kills me about Reality Lux users ( Exluding most of the ones "here" LOL)  we can wait 4 days to a month to finalize a large scene rendered but god forbid if your scene takes 5 minutes to load in Studio. This is why I have no issues staying with 4.0 if 4.5 dont play nice with my machine.. As a lux user you gain as you say not using the utility transfer tool and maybe save some time on loading / saving a scene. On the plus side I read on the DS forum that geometry shell does work well in LUX even though I have no clue what it does... Guess I can youtube the new features..

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:43 AM

just did a quick test.. loaded my bikini test model, put Peek by 3d-age onto her.. applied a smoothing modifer, then went to smart content.. took TWO seconds(using chrono on my watch) for the materials for Peek to show up.  All of this from open to clothed and posed model reading for lighting and render took me about 3 minutes.  Two days ago I would have been fiddling with the smoothing and collisions for another 20 minutes or so trying to eliminate all the poke thru; and she would have been ready for lighting and rendering after maybe a half hour.  So, shaving 27 minutes off my workflow makes a major difference.  I would suppose that it would be an even bigger deal if I was mass producing content; but, as I only do maybe one render a day it's not THAT great of a deal.  Still a plus though.

Where things are going to get fun is when I start working with Solidworks for school.  In 4.5(not sure if 4.0 had it but i'm pretty sure not) there is an obj follower.  If you import an obj into studio and then make changes to the original saved file; it's automagically updated in studio.  Since most of the ppl I go to school with will not be using Lux to render with; I plan on using the Reality/Lux combo to give me an artistic leg up on the classroom competition.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:45 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 10:48 AM

Thanks I certainly do plan on trying it in the next few days hope all goes well I have a 25 render commish to get going on... I am hoping my shaders will still work. I know one has to update certain ones but I have a lot of nice freebies....

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:04 AM

Just got a nudge from the wife too.. seems she ended up 17th on the art charts for favorite artists with her very first render ever as being her most favorited shot.  Here it is for those who may have missed her post here...

It might be only 6 favorites and 8 comments; but, it's so rare that anyone comments on any but the most popular artists stuff; that it's a pretty good accomplishment for someone who just started this whole 3D deal less than 2 months ago.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:13 AM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:13 AM

Considering I was making sucky stuff like this for the first year or so I agree

http://fav.me/d2yeayq

Sadly it is getting and will get more views then some of my purdy Lux Renders. Its one of the drawbacks of being a conept based "artist"

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:59 AM

I just removed all Ds4 related items and will install 4.5 created restore point should I decide to roll back in case I have issues...

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:18 PM

bob... afaik.. you don't have to remove anything.. just install and let 'er rip

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:27 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:28 PM

Quote - bob... afaik.. you don't have to remove anything.. just install and let 'er rip

I removed it all cause I had both 32 and 64 bit installed (needed that for the UE lights for some reason) and did not want any errors

AbiJ ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:51 PM

Quote - > Quote - So this is what you do while you are at work, creating stunning renders!

Thanks Anton :) Actually, I have my hollidays right now, work is something for next week ;)

Plenty of time to relax with a good book or 3! 😉

Great render too.

Abi.

Rendo Gallery...

DA Gallery...

Proud artist on...

erik-nl ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 12:54 PM

Quote - These are fantastic! 

Thanks Paolo!

(just added a few bits that were missing from that tool set)

Cheers!

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:09 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:14 PM

Its all done and it was rather painless shaders still work it seems to take a bit longer to dig content up but loads lightning fast and instant test renders holy cow!!!

BradHP ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:51 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 1:56 PM

Having a wierd issue I've never had before.  I have my image in Lux exactly how I want it with film response, exposure, lighting, gamma, etc.  It's a dark scene with lots of shadows and took a while to get it right.

I used file-->save and exit in lux, opened the png in photoshop to make it a forum friendly size and the image is much brighter and the lighting and shadow look nothing like they do in the lux window. 

Edit: Just tried opening it with Windows photo viewer and it looks fine, but I can't edit with that.  

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 2:04 PM

file_485567.jpg

Actually more errors now with clothing as well

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 2:38 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 2:39 PM

Now playing with Reality not sure if it was because I resaved as scene as DUF or new studio / Reality but ALL my materials for my oval office was borked back to default...

BTW the error messages only apply to DS 4 & genesis related content.

Sharkey you may be onto something with faster rendering times...

subluminal ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:08 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quote - Having a wierd issue I've never had before.  I have my image in Lux exactly how I want it with film response, exposure, lighting, gamma, etc.  It's a dark scene with lots of shadows and took a while to get it right.

I used file-->save and exit in lux, opened the png in photoshop to make it a forum friendly size and the image is much brighter and the lighting and shadow look nothing like they do in the lux window. 

Edit: Just tried opening it with Windows photo viewer and it looks fine, but I can't edit with that.  

The Windows viewer isn't color managed like PS. You might need to look into color space and monitor calibration.

For me, GIMP reflects my Lux window better than Windows because my monitor is set to sRGB and I select sRGB in the Lux panel under the "color space" presets.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:13 PM

Quote - Having a wierd issue I've never had before.  I have my image in Lux exactly how I want it with film response, exposure, lighting, gamma, etc.  It's a dark scene with lots of shadows and took a while to get it right.

Sounds like your adobe gamma control is out of whack a bit

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:18 PM

Bob.. i'm not sure if this is an issue w/4.5 or not.. but i've never seen it before.  on my current render.. my model's arms are bent at the elbow almost to their limits.. and it's almost like you can see the vertices of the mesh through her skin.  Haven't pulled reality back up for this scene yet so might have turned off smoothing or something like that on accident... other than that.. this render looks better at 800 passes that the same model, clothes and lighting did before at nearly 2000 passes

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:22 PM

maybe i'm assigning credit where it isn't due.. but my first render out of the box with the reality2.5/studio4.5 duo just.. feels nicer.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:43 PM

Attached Link: Playtime

file_485577.jpg

On thing I know 3Dlight still will not produce lUX like results now that we have the official version of Sudio perhaps its time for full LUX1. Was the upgrade worth it? Hard to say. If it will improve / speed up LUX renders I would say yes. DUF scene do load up faster but then one needs to shut down error messages.... This is still from 4.0.37

callad ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:04 PM

Regarding the lagging of viewport and general 'moving about' in Daz4.5: I found that scenes on which I used MLIE on V4 or Genesis that was the cause of it. When removing the MLIE image for a regular jpg texture all respons comes back at once.

Can anyone confirm this or is this just my silly pc?

Reggie68 ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:05 PM

My problem with hair fitting has been fixed in the next maintenance release. Not bad...

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:06 PM

Quote - Regarding the lagging of viewport and general 'moving about' in Daz4.5: I found that scenes on which I used MLIE on V4 or Genesis that was the cause of it. When removing the MLIE image for a regular jpg texture all respons comes back at once.

Can anyone confirm this or is this just my silly pc?

I think lIE items do make things sluggish when I had the fanatasy mekup on my main character, it would slow down reality for a few minutes when I selected "skin face"

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:06 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:08 PM

Quote - My problem with hair fitting has been fixed in the next maintenance release. Not bad...

When's it due? Reg I am glad your ok with leaving minor noise from time to time I get all OCD with that LOL.....

Reggie68 ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:27 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:29 PM

As long as mine get the idea across and look OK, the odd bit of noise here and there doesn't bother me.

If they make someone chuckle or even guffaw quite loudly in a library, then that's a bonus.

The last few renders I've been doing have been tests of other things, Perfect V4, the model of the pool I built. Not really had the time to let anything run for a long.

Also my FX-8120 CPU is sitting in it's box as I had to use the MBoard & PSU to replace the one in my Windows PC which was taken out by an overworked PSU. Not had time to replace as yet.

No idea on the release date of the fix, a few Bald V4's until then. I do have some hat props I could use.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:29 PM

Quote - As long as mine get the idea across and look OK, the odd bit of noise here and there doesn't bother me.

If they make someone chuckle or even guffaw quite loudly in a library, then that's a bonus.

The last few renders I've been doing have been tests of other things, Perfect V4, the model of the pool I built. Not really had the time to let anything run for a long.

Also my FX-8120 CPU is sitting in it's box as I had to use the MBoard & PSU to replace the one in my Windows PC which was taken out by an overworked PSU. Not had time to replace as yet.

Its cool for example the one I am letting run for 10 plus hours cause I cant stand the powdery looking light reflection

AbiJ ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:52 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 4:56 PM

Just purchased and installed Callad's Charlie & Neve after seeing her awesome renders - I had to have those skin textures!

Daydreamer

I LOVE that flesh!!! It's the best texture I've had the pleasure to use, I'll be using it lots more in the future.

Enjoy,

Abi.

(Next I need to figure out some good hair settings).

Rendo Gallery...

DA Gallery...

Proud artist on...

Xandi ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:34 PM

I had a lot of posts to catch up on.

Superboomturbo, my best wishes for your wife and a speedy recovery for her. 

Erik, your tools are amazing!

Bobvan, that mean president needs to wash his hands.  He's got dirty fingers..yech.

StevieC, wonderful render and wet skin!

Callad, your render as always, is beautiful.

Now I'm going to reread everything about upgrading again.  It confuses me.  I still am getting used to D4. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.