Sun, Sep 22, 1:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: Genesis 3 released

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 8:24 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 9:25 AM

Genesis 3 is out today.

Check your product library for the "Starter Essentials".

So far, my account only has the female version listed.  Maybe the male version will show up later.

There will be a Victoria 7 also but that is for an extra charge

IceEmpress ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 10:57 AM

Ugh... on the 2nd year anniversary of G2F...  Also, sounds like it isn't DSON compatible...  it's MAX and Maya compatible, though!

Is that somehow more profitable?  And what do the PAs think?  Certainly I can't imagine most of the G2F supporters here being happy about it. 

It's the Poser users who are hurt the worst by this (note: I am not and never will be a Poser user, but completely dropping support for it REALLY bothers, even offends me!) Dawn just isn't that successful of a figure compared to Gen2 (and it seems that Dawn-exclusive products tend to enter the clearance pretty fast), and V4 is finding that her support is disappearing outside of RDNA.  Most of us don't have the money to keep up with new figures every two years (or the money to get a newer computer and Nvidia graphics card for the Iray)  How many PAs can even keep up with something like this?

Zev0 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 12:23 PM

We barely do keep up lol. But you do what you must in order to survive:)

My Renderosity Store

cedarwolf ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 12:43 PM

Interesting.  Is it compatible with all the G2 stuff or are we expected to buy all new repeats of purchases?

Zev0 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 12:48 PM · edited Tue, 23 June 2015 at 12:49 PM

Some things are not compatible like skins. With regards to other content, I'm pretty sure people will figure out a way to get them over. We all still trying to find out what can and cannot be made compatible in a way that is usable.

My Renderosity Store

RawArt ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 1:00 PM

It is hard sometimes to keep up with the new figures...for my creatures Genesis 1 was the best figure since it could more easily become male of female.

But that said, I really dig that DAZ is on the ball and trying to keep up with the new technologies to make sure our market has the best possible figures by industry standards.

As for things being compatible...we have to remember that this figure is used in d/s, and it is not like in the old days of poser where there were so many problems trying to get items for one figure to fit on another figure. The auto-fit in d/s makes it so that so much of the old catalog still works decently on a new figure. I am sure no one would expect things to work 100% perfect on the new figure, but the fact they work decently at all is an amazing thing.

Say what people want about daz and d/s, they are definitley dedicated to make sure we the customer have the tools we need to not only be stuck with hobby level products, if we work with it, we can build to industry standard levels. So DAZ deserves alot of credit for that.

Plus....this figure works so nice, and is the best looking figure right out of the box that has ever been made.

Rawn

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 1:03 PM

It is hard sometimes to keep up with the new figures...for my creatures Genesis 1 was the best figure since it could more easily become male of female.

But that said, I really dig that DAZ is on the ball and trying to keep up with the new technologies to make sure our market has the best possible figures by industry standards.

As for things being compatible...we have to remember that this figure is used in d/s, and it is not like in the old days of poser where there were so many problems trying to get items for one figure to fit on another figure. The auto-fit in d/s makes it so that so much of the old catalog still works decently on a new figure. I am sure no one would expect things to work 100% perfect on the new figure, but the fact they work decently at all is an amazing thing.

Say what people want about daz and d/s, they are definitley dedicated to make sure we the customer have the tools we need to not only be stuck with hobby level products, if we work with it, we can build to industry standard levels. So DAZ deserves alot of credit for that.

Plus....this figure works so nice, and is the best looking figure right out of the box that has ever been made.

Rawn

Yep, what a difference 5 years makes...

dzfire1102 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 1:06 PM

Moore's Law and all ;)

Groade ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 5:51 PM

Interesting.  Is it compatible with all the G2 stuff or are we expected to buy all new repeats of purchases?

This is my big concern as well.  I have little interest in re-purchasing all the G2 supporting stuff like morphs, GenX etcetc for G3.

Thanks for the info Zev0.  It sounds like we're still waiting to hear exactly how compatible G3 is going to be.  I will say it is disturbing that there is no clear mention of easy compatibility in the official announcements/advertisements.  

IceEmpress ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2015 at 8:23 PM

From the discussion on the Daz forums, it doesn't sound like there will be much backwards-compatibility at all due to the abandonment od Tri-Ax weight mapping and the dramatically different (and additional) bones and joints.

I really hate what Daz is doing, and it already looks like Genesis 2 support on the site is coming to a dead halt (the only genesis 2 products released today are hair that are primarily for Genesis 3)  This is my greatest fear.  I also expect to see less support for Gen3 by Rendo PAs in the future due to the complete lack of Poser compatibility.  For crying out loud, there's even a PA here who makes Poser-only dynamic clothing for Genesis 2!  He is one of the PAs who immediately come to mind when I say that DAZ has screwed Poser users over.

I also don't like what seems like the slow phasing out of 3Delight.  I don't feel like learning how to use yet ANOTHER render engine, plus my computer is 5 years old and probably can't handle it.

Dropping Poser support in favor of Max, Maya, and other 3D professional software truly disgusts me.  I speak as someone who doesn't even like Poser.  You don't take something away that you have always provided-- that's just rude and inconsiderate, and just downright vile thing to do.

I, too, do not feel like re-purchasing everything for yet another generation of figures.  Besides the fact that I suspect that Genesis 3 is also too high in the memory-usage category for my computer to handle.

duanemoody ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 4:20 AM

I feel so sorry for the guy who released the G2F elf base character a month ago. 

chaecuna ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 5:12 AM

...seems... ...probably... ...suspect...

3dlight has been so abandoned by DAZ that the 4.8 build includes a recent and significantly faster version w.r.t. 4.7. Give it a try.

While we are in the real try vs. bitching upon hypothesis subject, I suggest you to explore for real how Iray and G3 work on your box. On my six years old workhorse main computer they work pleasantly, on my lowly 500 euro notebook with an entry level NVIDIA card even better.

demiurgent ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 11:46 AM

Some things are not compatible like skins. With regards to other content, I'm pretty sure people will figure out a way to get them over. We all still trying to find out what can and cannot be made compatible in a way that is usable.

I said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here as well -- I'm actually pretty confident someone will build a bridge for skins, because they always do. Yeah, I know. I'm replying to Zev0, who knows more about this than almost anyone. My money's still on the table saying a conversion tool will get made. People are amazingly clever and no one's ready to give up their Sabby-skin collection.

Zev0 ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 12:23 PM

Oh I agree. Pretty confident somebody will find a way to get skins from older Generations working in some form. But converting them the usual way doesn't work.

My Renderosity Store

demiurgent ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 1:52 PM

Oh I agree. Pretty confident somebody will find a way to get skins from older Generations working in some form. But converting them the usual way doesn't work.

Which is the biggest reason I'm going to hold fire before moving my production to G3F -- I have a pretty good sized library of V4, Genesis and Genesis 2 skins. I'm either going to need to hold off until someone builds a bridge, or until there's enough quality skins at low enough cost to build a new one.

Or, well, until you put out Skin Builder Pro for Genesis 3 Female. :)

Zev0 ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 2:30 PM · edited Wed, 24 June 2015 at 2:30 PM

SkinBuilder might be a possibility. Will have to see how the market pans out first. That was one serious pain in the ass product to make:(

My Renderosity Store

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 4:12 PM

Quick question as a new user ... what can I do with the G3 starter essentials alone?  Just curious as I'm downloading it with DIM now.  And did they disable detail feature in DIM?  I can't direct where my content is being installed.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 4:23 PM

There should be a gear icon in the top right corner to bring up preferences.. one of the tabs has where you can create a directory to save your content, and then use the drop down box to select it as the default.

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 4:27 PM

Yes, I've used that to create 4 different directories.  But NOW I can't choose which one to install to. from the "show details" box at the bottom which is now grayed out.

Boni

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 4:29 PM

Never mind they've constructed it a little different ... it's detailed in the install tab.  Carry on, I'll just stand here in the corner and feel a little foolish. :)

Boni

IceEmpress ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 12:14 AM

Any possibility that we'll get a G3F and G3M clone for G2F/M?  Esp. G2M?

Also, Zev, will you be dropping support for G2M?  <:(

Malemedia, Zev, Rawart, and Razor42/DesignAnvil (if you're lurking here) will you be dropping support for 3Delight?  Because this is what I am stuck with.  I don't want to use yet ANOTHER render engine, nor can I even if I wanted to because this computer can't handle it, and I cannot afford another one (I'd only get a new one if this one died on me-- speaking of, is it still possible to get a Windows 7 CD or have a computer repair techie employee install it?  Or am I stuck with Windows 8~10?)

Sucks that we never did get Ravenhair's Medieval Cloak pack for G2M-- I guess I'll have to just hope that she'll release it for G3M and make it compatible with G2M as well...

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 5:19 AM

Any possibility that we'll get a G3F and G3M clone for G2F/M?  Esp. G2M?

Also, Zev, will you be dropping support for G2M?  <:(

Malemedia, Zev, Rawart, and Razor42/DesignAnvil (if you're lurking here) will you be dropping support for 3Delight?  Because this is what I am stuck with.  I don't want to use yet ANOTHER render engine, nor can I even if I wanted to because this computer can't handle it, and I cannot afford another one (I'd only get a new one if this one died on me-- speaking of, is it still possible to get a Windows 7 CD or have a computer repair techie employee install it?  Or am I stuck with Windows 8~10?)

Sucks that we never did get Ravenhair's Medieval Cloak pack for G2M-- I guess I'll have to just hope that she'll release it for G3M and make it compatible with G2M as well...

Concentrating on the Windows question.  Generally it is possible to load Windows 7 on a Windows 8 machine without too many problems.  There are some issues in that Windows 8 uses and different disc format.  The other issue is that, if it is a commercially build system and they used hardware that had only just come onto the market, there may not be Windows 7 drivers available.  None of this is a real show stopper. Would trying Windows 10 first be another option?

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 3:13 PM

I'm not dropping g2 support. I still support G1 in some cases:)

My Renderosity Store

Razor42 ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 4:11 AM · edited Sat, 27 June 2015 at 4:13 AM

As Zev0, I'm still looking at continuing to create content for all of the Genesis range, as far as mats go I will be likely including both 3Delight and Iray optimised versions for the foreseeable future where practicable.

RawArt ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 8:16 AM

Malemedia, Zev, Rawart, and Razor42/DesignAnvil (if you're lurking here) will you be dropping support for 3Delight? 

Nope...3DL is still a render engine in DS, so it will continue to be supported. There would be no sense in dropping that support.

Unfortunatly some of the effects may be dumbed down a little bit to work in 3dl...but no where near as much as they had to be when I made poser MATs.

Rawn

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2015 at 12:12 PM

As far as 3delight, I'll still make shaders for both. Figures will depend on the market, G2 adoption went quickly because of customer demand so it wouldn't make sense to spend time making something that only sells poorly. I still have 2 G2Ms I'm working on so I want to have them out by the end of summer. The bigger test will be the V6 character set that's coming out soon. If she sells poorly then that will determine what I will do goinf forward.

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 12:12 AM

I have been a poser user since 1998, I believe both programs poser and daz are great, but I always have found daz to be a little more difficult to operate. for instance poser is costly but you get all the basic utilities as walker designer, daz studio you have to purchase those items separately, which I thought is a horrible idea. if the software is free so should the basic  utilities just as poser should be, I like what daz studio alone produces and the products are great, but as far as user friendly capabilities are applied daz studio has to work on becoming more user friendly as poser is. I find using the lighting settings and walk design tutorials and camera settings to technical and difficult to use half the time in daz studio and not as flexible as the tools and parameters in poser are at least not as much, and therefore not alittle more effort in building up. in is one of the main stream reasons people still prefer to use poser interfaces. yes daz is a great company but they still have a lot more room for improvement ? as not only accessing users free software capabilities but free basic utility access just as poser offers such as walk designer and talk designer which is mimic in daz studio going for $ 34.97 or some odd bucks with a membership card. and last but not least a more user friendly setting working tools such as animate, lighting, camera etc should be easy to use such as poser, if daz studio can make these things happen with there software they can be even more successful in the future, that's where poser got there software capabilities right.

tparo ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 3:13 AM · edited Wed, 08 July 2015 at 3:15 AM

I have been a poser user since 1998, I believe both programs poser and daz are great, but I always have found daz to be a little more difficult to operate. for instance poser is costly but you get all the basic utilities as walker designer, daz studio you have to purchase those items separately, which I thought is a horrible idea. if the software is free so should the basic  utilities just as poser should be, I like what daz studio alone produces and the products are great, but as far as user friendly capabilities are applied daz studio has to work on becoming more user friendly as poser is. I find using the lighting settings and walk design tutorials and camera settings to technical and difficult to use half the time in daz studio and not as flexible as the tools and parameters in poser are at least not as much, and therefore not alittle more effort in building up. in is one of the main stream reasons people still prefer to use poser interfaces. yes daz is a great company but they still have a lot more room for improvement ? as not only accessing users free software capabilities but free basic utility access just as poser offers such as walk designer and talk designer which is mimic in daz studio going for $ 34.97 or some odd bucks with a membership card. and last but not least a more user friendly setting working tools such as animate, lighting, camera etc should be easy to use such as poser, if daz studio can make these things happen with there software they can be even more successful in the future, that's where poser got there software capabilities right.

I differ I find DS much easier to use than Poser, the lights in poser just are a pain and now DS have Iray lighting can be much more straightforward, Poser I find clumsy and awkward; several clicks for something that in DS I can do in one. Camera's in DS couldn't be simpler load it and look through it, lights in DS can also be looked through without any other fiddling about. Several surfaces at once can be selected and altered in the surfaces tab all at once this can't be done in Poser. From some of your comments I wonder if you have much idea about the true abilities of DS

and I find this oh you need to buy add ons for DS but not for Poser an amusing statement go to RDNA you will find a thread in the poser 10 forum, the end of the thread has people talking about all the plugins they need to make Poser's workflow functional.

Oh and Genesis 1,2 and 3  work in DS without any problems or extra plugins or extra steps.

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:06 AM

, I think both daz and poser need to have some kind of upgrade because if you think about it you contently have to buy certain things for daz in order to operate them correctly. poser seems old school but I have always found using the utilities as talk designer , and the walk designer easier to use unless you have different programs as the ones I mentioned lightwave 3d or even vue to list simple functions with daz I have to know where the hell to look and buy them for a certain price.  what I was mentioning in my first  blog was poser is not in everyones interest but it  did have a few simply things available to it. daz studio you get the software free but it can still be a pain in the ass trying to locate or find certain things you may need or have missed out on. but I like both programs to be honest the problem is I just can't find the time to learn everything about daz as I would like to with using 3d light wave or maya, vue you name it technology is contently growing in waves for software capabilities.

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:20 AM

I have the daz studio 4.8 iradium  edition and I am still trying to play around with all the lighting and trying to purchase walking designers for genesis 3 I tried everything also and her walking looks distorted , nothing seems to move properly just screwed up with the newer genesis ? maybe that's my biggest pain in the ass with daz studio .

tparo ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:22 AM

Sorry kurmudgenou2k54 but until you do know DS how can you comment on its so called short fallings, you mention say ''have to buy certain things for daz in order to operate them correctly'' but don't mention what it just sounds like you are having a dig for the sake of it, personally I don't have any problem locating things in DS - I don't do animation so that's not a problem for me.

I really don't understand your posts they just seem like you have come into the DS forum to cause trouble.

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:33 AM

I just recently downloaded Renderman and I am also learning how to use it   which is a animation program used to construct films like toy story monsters inc. was currently released from  Disney and Pixar to the public  use, I am playing around and liking the material so far . great fun

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:35 AM

doing simple things just not to familiar with all the rendering and using the content yet but learning how to transfer things from using zbrush into software as renderman complex stuff. 

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:51 AM

your crazy male-m3dia but you got a point be grateful daz  does provide a lot of good content , but still things can be a lot more easier to use in ds .

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:55 AM

genesis period is daz greatest product, poser just needs to stop bitchin and upgrade so everyone can enjoy both components.  

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:58 AM

ok then why is that ?

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 5:59 AM

I think daz like poser has it's up and downs like anyone else .

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 7:16 AM

I am going wait to genesis 3 comes out with some more characters I already dig some of the new genesis products and clothing  costumes etc.

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 7:20 AM

then I could learn how to import some of projects genesis 3 to light wave 3d or blender, which by the way tparo would know nothing about ?

tparo ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 7:44 AM

then I could learn how to import some of projects genesis 3 to light wave 3d or blender, which by the way tparo would know nothing about ?

And you know that how, so stop with the insults in the thread and by PM.

These forums have become little more than a joke. 

kurmudgenou2k54 ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 8:12 AM

still have time on your hands huh ? I know about genesis and daz studio but don't like using the system cause it sucks and so do you

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 8:33 AM · edited Wed, 08 July 2015 at 8:42 AM

Last time I checked PoserPro was about 500 bucks for the full version and DS was free. And you're complaining that DS doesn't have more in it? For free??! o.O

I've just learned how to use DS in the last month or two and there's nothing I've HAD to buy yet. Granted, I don't do animations, but seems a plugin that's less than the price of Poser would be sort of a bargain, since I don't have to add stuff to the program that I don't need (like animation stuff).

As for userfriendliness, I can think of few programs LESS user friendly than Poser. It's only because we took the time to learn to use it that we find it "user friendly" - which it is definitely not - and why DS seems like it's not, because we're just learning to use it.

Attacking tparo was uncalled for since he/she is just confused that you're complaining that something is crap before you - and admittedly so - have learned how to fully use it. I'm confused too. Learn to use it, THEN complain seems like the usual progression. And not everyone has the same first language as you. English might not be tparo's native language. Just thinking logically.

Laurie

nDelphi ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 9:34 AM

and learn your grammar shit for brains

This is the kind of post that should get a forum user banned for life. There is no excuse for this.

3D DAZ Studio/Poser Celebrity Lookalike Directory

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 11:07 AM

Just hit the appropriate report button on that post. Hopefully the mods will take care of it.

chaecuna ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 3:44 PM

and learn your grammar shit for brains

And you learn that you can write more than one sentence per post. See? it works! mindboggling, isn't it?

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 08 July 2015 at 4:51 PM

Lets keep this nice please. Attacks will not be tolerated.

Thanks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.