Thu, Oct 10, 8:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: P4Vskin - remapping posette to take vicky skins

AprilYSH ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2001 at 9:26 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 8:32 AM

Hey all... I've nearly finished my self assigned torture, I've remapped posette to take victoria skin textures. I used uvmapper and it took me most of the weekend. I just have to tweak some of the edges where I went over the lines, and somehow I got one thumbnail upsidedown... and if I can be bothered I'll clean up some of the vertices which have just been pushed around messily! Now, the main problem... Posette did not have layered eyebrows. In fact, if you apply a transmap you'll just get holes in her head. What I did was move the eyebrow map facets to where Vicky's eyebrows are (top right of the head texture) but most people who made Vicky maps just block coloured this section knowing they'll apply a trans, if they even coloured this at all! So when you load up my "P4Vskin" you get a solid eyebrow, or in some cases the copyright text... haha. That's the major drawback... Any suggestions? Please let me know!!! (I know a remap is available for sale already, I did this for "fun" and will make it available for free to anyone who cares, haha.)

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

Wizzard ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2001 at 9:42 PM

sounds nice April! 8 ) I commend your work and efforts.. Thank ye

chriscox ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2001 at 10:41 PM

Wow that sounds like a lot of work. I've considered doing just the opposite, setting up a Vicki to take Posette texture, but seemed like too much work. Regarding your eyebrows, instead of mapping the eyebrows to the area used by Vicki for the UpperEyeBrows material just map them to the area on the face where the eyebrows are and don't use a trans map. This is after all where Vicki's EyeBrows material (not to be confused with the UpperEyeBrows material) maps to anyway. Chris Cox

Chris Cox

AprilYSH ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2001 at 11:05 PM

Thanks Wiz :) Thanks Chris, I tried that, but the placement of the eyebrow facets almost never coincide with where the artist has drawn the eyebrows on the face... cos Vicky doesn't have her eyebrows on the face, so artists have used their license... ;) The result is the face skin applies correctly, but then the part of the skin texture where posette's bulgy eyebrows happen to land get drawn over the brows! This is why I moved them to the uppereyebrows section. I'm at work now and can't upload an example... What I'm thinking of is creating a morph that will close up the hole where posette's brows are and remove her brows altogether, and so the face skin will apply on its own... hmm... and maybe use the now unused facets of the bulgy eyebrows to become like transmaps! Eureka!!! WOOOHOO!!! (thanks for listening in folks ;) ) hmm, this could be hard for me tho... hmm. Vicky to take Posette maps would get a lot of interest, I'm sure. Go for it :) I'm doing this so I can use Vicky skins without having to buy Vicky. I haven't decided I really need to buy Vicky but there are a lot of free Vicky skins that I'd like to use :)

duanemoody ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2001 at 11:45 PM

Um, what's the difference between this and Posavic?

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 12:36 AM

i said in the first post, "for fun" ... i play with poser stuff for fun so i like to do lots of things even if others have done them better :) in hobbies, it's the journey, not the results... if results are good, that's a bonus :D and where have YOU been mr moody? still on break from head morphs? been missing those updates :( head morphs are something i'll be doing for fun too ;)

kitbasher ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 12:58 AM

AprilYSH, I just spent the weekend building MAT poses and maps that use your April North skin on Azura from Morph World. Great fun. I love all of your textures for posette, but Azura was feeling left out. I had read tutorials on MAT poses, but it did not really make sence until I took yours apart and made them work for the different geometry of Azura. Thank you and keep posting your work. I appreciate it. Kitbasher

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 1:09 AM

great to hear Kitbasher :) - I mean great to hear that you got Posette textures to work on Azura? um.. just by editing the mat files? I haven't mucked around with Azura yet, I thought she needed a whole new layout of textures to work! Or did you mean you moved the textures around to fit Azura? That's cool too :) Right now I'd rather make it easier in the long run by remapping bodies so they use the more common skins out there (posette and vicky) without editing the skins! 8) I'm seeing gridlines everywhere today. %D

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 5:21 AM

I'm with chriscox - getting Vicky to take Posette skins would be much more useful. All those Happyworld textures ...

rockets ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 6:55 AM

AprilYSH I for one, will be thrilled to see (and use) your Posette to Vicky map. I've thought about doing that myself, but alas, I don't have the knowledge to. Looking forward to seeing it. :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

duanemoody ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 9:07 AM

file_218968.jpg

AprilYSH: Check Freestuff, my impatient one... `B^)

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 9:46 AM

file_218969.jpg

hey, Diego looks like a great Australian Aborigine!! that's a cool addition, thank you! :)) and I've seen real Aborigines (of mixed heritage) with skin and eyes like that too! Amber eyes are more common among them and very striking as well. rockets, uvmapper is a great toy, check it out :) you'll be remapping everything in sight though! or trying to! that bug bit me hard. :P ok, now check out the heads above... the first one is where the texture artist has drawn the eyebrows straight onto the face area (that's Eowyn's Shari) and where I have left the eyebrow facets on the face section, as Chris suggested (unless I misunderstood him) the second one is the same model but the artist (Staale) did not draw brows onto the face area ... on this one you could possibly stick eyebrow props onto her after smoothing down those bulges. the third one i had removed the eyebrows in uvmapper and you get holes in the head! (i "removed" them by taking them out of the head group and also not assigning them to a material.) this is where morphing the edges of that hole to seal together could work... and those "lost" facets turned into a transmappable eyebrow instead. number 4 is where i moved the eyebrow facets onto the uppereyebrow section and there let the texture's colour take over... and as you see it's a solid colour which can't be trans'ed like Vicky's cos there's no layers. I'm currently in anim8or trying to seal the hole in head 3 and make the useless facets into a transmappable eyebrow layer... um... it's not looking good, i've used anim8or exactly... 1hr 20 mins, first time tonight. haha... oh well... it's the journey that counts! yes it is... :P

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 11:19 AM

Chris said:Regarding your eyebrows, instead of mapping the eyebrows to the area used by Vicki for the UpperEyeBrows material just map them to the area on the face where the eyebrows are and don't use a trans map. This is after all where Vicki's EyeBrows material (not to be confused with the UpperEyeBrows material) maps to anyway. and I didn't listen! Mary (Canary) posted the same suggestion at IDD and the penny dropped. I didn't see vicky had "eyebrows"! I don't have vicky so i didn't realise she actually has eyebrows ON THE FACE AREA. And because the template (which are all I'm working on) have them fairly well disguised, I didn't realise they were actual eyebrow guides! I thought the artists were just drawing in eyebrows wherever they wanted on her face... in the general area. Ok then, this makes things heaps easier... Except in cases where the artist did NOT draw in eyebrows in the face area... then they'll just have no brows like head 2 above. i'm gonna get some sleep. :P

Jaager ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 1:45 PM

Commenting on your terminology: if all you have is UVmapper (and not Texture Weapons or Flesh) you probably do not want to "remap" any of the skin. Move, resize, flip, layer,... certainly. But remap? If you do, you will get edge-on facets - if you keep the mesh intact and loose facets if you remap the edge-on facets in isolation.

Traveler ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 3:02 PM

April: I have a set of transmapped eyebrow props for the P4 fem I would be happy to add to the project if you want them to include with your re-map set. They are in the morph world archive section under eve I think. -Trav

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 9:21 PM

Jaager:Move, resize, flip, layer,... certainly. But remap? Is there a collective word for "Move, resize, flip, mess around and botch up" ? :) What does "remap" mean then? What are Texture Weapons or Flesh! They sound cool... where can I check them out? checks credit card is safely hidden away? yes Trav, I feel ridiculously, grateful! :)) I've totally messed up the brow facets in the attempt to close up the holes in head 3 and didn't know how to get them to look like your props -- which I happen to have on every P4/Eve character in my library! (I only keep characters without them so I have a control group in test cases.) They're probably how the idea even occured to me. :) [I'll IM you when I'm up to that stage cos you prolly won't come back to this thread.] Btw, in my final attempts last night to close the holes in head 3, I was able to close them in the x and y axes (in anim8or) but there's still a gap in the z axis and I don't know how to get at them with the available view angles yet... was looking around for that rotation ball but couldn't find it! Anim8or is so much fun btw! I'm sure I found a morph that buried those brows and sealed up the holes already but I can't find them. I tried the 2 MorphWorld smoothbrow morphs I found already but they didn't quite do that sealing. Now where did I put that morph and wonder what the redistribution clause says!

Jaager ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 1:02 AM

If you play around in UVmapper enough, you will find the remap function. It will give several choices: box, planar, etc. None of them will allow you to unfold and spread out individual facets. Texture Weapons is an add on for Deep Paint 3D, the combo being ~$1.3K, if I remember correctly. Flesh may be a part of Maya? You probably have to have the Heroin concession for a major city to have enough money to buy it to play with it and not notice the expense. As for the brows, There are a lot of facial expressions that use them. I would suugest leaving them alone. Just texture them the same as the skin. If you are going to use Trav's props, you should probably duplicate each of the face brow morphs for them: arch, worry, etc. Then make each brow prop morph a 1:1 ERC morph tied to its face counter part. You can parent a prop to a group, but not to a part of a group, so unless you do the morphs on the prop, it will just sit where you put it and not move, unless the whole head moves. The brow prop? the upper brows are probably the most hated part of Vicki- I think they are wonderful, but I have downloaded a large number of head morphs that have the upper brows burried inside the head as an added bonus to whatever it is that the morph is really supposed to do. It was a major pain to undo that for those I wished to use.

AprilYSH ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 1:52 AM

aaah... yeah I did use the uvmapper remap on some parts to split the front from the back of the posette map to better suit the vicky map, eg the lashes, feet and eyeballs. Then I unfolded and spread out facets by going to select by vertex, bullied them around... vee-oh-lah! (or "vwallah" if one wants to be hoity toity.) Will be moving posette brows to vicky's brows now I know they exist! Then try the brow prop the way you say it... it might be too difficult (you mentioned ERC, yikes!) ... depends on how successful just placing posette's eyebrows on the vicky eyebrows turns out to be... thanks, let yas know how I go tonight... 3pm now, still got 2 hours of work to do... speaking of which...

ThE_GuN ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 3:58 AM

I would realy like to have it when you are done, plz send me a msg or something when your done...

Traveler ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 5:25 AM

Technically any adjustment of the uv map is a re-map because you are remapping aspects or the whole of the map. If you want you can call it re-uv'ing? or re-coordinating the texture map :)

Traveler ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 5:29 AM

April: email me or instant message me here if you want to use them, and I will match up morphs to go with all of the posette eyebrow morphs for you. -Trav

Jaager ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 12:58 PM

I was using "remap" the way that it is defined in UVmapper - the aspect?. - the method that the 3D mesh is transfered to 2D. Moving this 2D map around is a remap of the mesh, but I was trying to focus on a more specific part. Lashes ,Eyes - they are fine - they are not spread out anyway. I wish the eyes were on their own layer - a 500 x 500 map would give a very high resolution texture. Vic's lashes are two layers thick, which is way there are so many pieces. It is the side of the head and the torso that you loose with a remap. As for the hands and feet, I forget how they are done on P4. The effect is minor, but expect possible texturing abnormalities on the sides. ERC is no problem to do. It is just an additionl five lines in the slave morph channel. One thing though. These are going to be integral morphs, and the host morphs may share a name in common with male figures as well as Vic, so cross-talk will be something you will have to make allowances for. Cross-talk is an issue with Vic, not because of the model. It is because ERC are used so extensively. If I were to design a workshop on advanced Poser technical skills, what you are doing would be a major part of it. No matter how it turns out, your skill level will probably increase by about a magnitude, so it will be worth the doing.

AprilYSH ( ) posted Sun, 21 October 2001 at 8:51 PM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.