Wed, Sep 18, 8:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: New Poser Wishlist

cwrw ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2019 at 5:57 PM

Thanks RedPhantom

Yes I have checked those out- they don't use an underlying texture so no they don't work with fur (think leopard spots and tiger striping:) The main issue I run into with fur in SF (is all dandy in Firefly) is it ends up with garish "fireflies" if using anything other than really flat light. I messed with a million settings to eliminate that but haven't found an answer yet.

gate ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 2:16 PM

HKHan99 posted at 8:10PM Sat, 02 November 2019 - #4364673

I wish LaFemme and all other figures of the Poserverse would have their feet stay on the ground when they are being scaled. This would make them work with the measurement line efficiently, as is the case with Pauline 2 (at least).

Select the Figure when loaded then open Window --> Joint Editor ....next .. set the the center Point "Y" to 0.000 then close the window. now you can scale your model in a realistic way keeping it on the floor. ( Make sure that you have selected the Body ! and not the Hip .. )

It is an error that creators do when they make the models but easy to fix .

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 8:08 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

cwrw, try this setup. It adds the image map to the hair. I added the HSV node to lighten the image for the reflection to add variation, but it might not be needed.

sample fur.JPG

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 11:46 AM

CuriousGeorge posted at 12:36PM Sun, 03 November 2019 - #4368255

In some ways, this feels more like a rant thread with some dashes of helpful requests, but I don't see the need for this thread if the Dev team ignores it. Again, possibly if (the devs) created a community bug database so that users can log issues and the dev team can simply approve or deny the bug/enhancement. Otherwise, this feels like a complete waste of time.

Depends on what you consider a "waste of time". This thread was started by me, and I stated what I wanted to see in the original post. It's a "wishlist". We're telling Renderosity what we would like to see improved, or dropped in the next version. Obviously, they won't be able to do it all, or at all, for all we know. I've already had one wish granted, and that was that "Figure Height" be dropped. They dropped "Genitalia" too, which I didn't ask for, but considering I haven't used it since Poser 4, I don't care.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 11:56 AM

Now, that I'm talking again, I'd like to see some refinements and streamlining of a few features. Primarily, Bullet Physics. It's a great feature, but it's a little clunky and hard to get a grasp of how it's supposed to work. I'd liked to see the Material room refined so you can zoom in or out to see all your nodes. I'd also like to see them jumping all over the place when you collapse or uncollapse them into group nodes. And I'd like to see Poser add all the missing nodes to Cycles, and let Poser read Blender files so we can import material set-ups made in Blender.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 04 November 2019 at 5:03 AM · edited Mon, 04 November 2019 at 5:07 AM

EClark1894 posted at 6:01AM Mon, 04 November 2019 - #4369067

Now, that I'm talking again, I'd like to see some refinements and streamlining of a few features. Primarily, Bullet Physics. It's a great feature, but it's a little clunky and hard to get a grasp of how it's supposed to work. I'd liked to see the Material room refined so you can zoom in or out to see all your nodes. I'd also like to see them jumping all over the place when you collapse or uncollapse them into group nodes.

That should read " NOT jumping all over the place" which they have a tendency to do, and then you have to go looking for them. Another thing which I'm sure some people will not like is that the nodes all connect on the opposite sides from Blender file nodes. This makes rebuilding a shader from a Blender file difficult at best.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Mon, 04 November 2019 at 10:05 AM

More presets would be nice (SuperFly render settings, more SuperFly premade shader setups. And HDRI setups built in at least 1or 2.. Not solutions I have to search for but built in.because a lot of people don't even read the forum's (look at all the ones complaining about poser not working all of a sudden ..and don't know why.) So I guess I would like to see the thing which have become a must have over the years when using poser ,built in poser (if possible)..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

joker2000 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 12:13 AM · edited Wed, 06 November 2019 at 12:21 AM

I would wish, that modulated volume scatter would work correctly with transparency. it is always a frustration that you can not make correct atmospheric effects with Poser

here an older discussion on smithmicro https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/9644/transparency-doesn-t-work-with-cloudy-volume-scatter

This are leaves of a tree made with transparency in a with cloudes modulated scatter volume as atmosphere

Unbenannt.JPG

AmethystPendant ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 3:56 AM

@joker2000 are all the leaves in your image inside the cube with the modulated atmosphere? I only ask as the ones at the front appear to be showing correctly, I played with a cloud modulated atmosphere and V4 last night and I had no issue with her eyelashes which is one of the things you mentioned in the original SM thread.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 4:51 AM

joker2000 posted at 5:48AM Thu, 07 November 2019 - #4369322

I would wish, that modulated volume scatter would work correctly with transparency. it is always a frustration that you can not make correct atmospheric effects with Poser

here an older discussion on smithmicro https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/9644/transparency-doesn-t-work-with-cloudy-volume-scatter

This are leaves of a tree made with transparency in a with cloudes modulated scatter volume as atmosphere

Unbenannt.JPG

Would you take this to a new thread and show the material room set up? Perhaps there is a work around for this problem if you want one. Otherwise, I'd rather no one try to solve this problem in this thread. It's long enough as is.

joker2000 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2019 at 3:42 AM

AmethystPendant posted at 3:38AM Fri, 08 November 2019 - #4369451

@joker2000 are all the leaves in your image inside the cube with the modulated atmosphere? I only ask as the ones at the front appear to be showing correctly, I played with a cloud modulated atmosphere and V4 last night and I had no issue with her eyelashes which is one of the things you mentioned in the original SM thread.

Yes all leaves are inside the fog Cube. The reason why only the the upper leaves has this issue is because the fog dissolves against the top

BernieFB ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2019 at 10:07 PM

I'd like to see some new developments in the face room. I just saw the preview for RealAllusion's Headshot 1.0 plugin. It has features I'd like to see in Poser.

Giana ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2019 at 10:13 AM

i'd like to be able to directly delete whole folders from within Poser...

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2019 at 3:37 PM

722 posted at 4:35PM Wed, 20 November 2019 - #4368224

like a higher quality figure in the way of HD like G8 figures should be the standard. like this,Michael 7 - Portrait by NobbyC https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/michael-7---portrait/2900118/?p Rendard in superfly Amazing detail.

No, because every time DAZ creates a new "character", they invariably change something that would require the Poser team to jump through a few more hoops to get it to run. If DAZ wants the Poser purchase, let DAZ take the initiative to build a Poser-friendly version of its own stuff.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:41 AM

Phew !! Have just binge-read this thread, and my head hurts. Apologies, there's a **lot **I didn't understand, but much I can relate to...

I've tried to model & rig a few simple figures, got no-where. Is there potential for importing un-encrypted MMD figures, complete with rigging ??

Some back-ground: Long, long ago, I began by using a neat floor-plan program with a bundled semi-pro 3D-CAD to visualise a caravanserai's complex interior. Did well. Bought, found and/or 'Rolled my own' Medieval-ish props, transferred them as eg 3DS. But, program & Win'OS & RAM limits meant figures etc had to be 'low polygon' props.

Saw Poser 3 free on a cover-disk. Loved it. Bought P4, did well. Built a full-on CAD-Tower. Ran Poser alongside FP & CAD, shared props etc. Eventually upgraded Poser to P7.

Before I could install that, my PCs, library and archive drives were trashed by the cascading failure of a bad batch of budget HDDs. I salvaged a lot of stuff from 'installed' and 'slide-mounts' but, weep...

It was a decade before I could again afford hi-end hardware & software. I knew I needed x64 programs, oodles of RAM, many AMD CPU cores, 3 ½ wide-screens and twin GPU cards to drive them. And, yes, WD 'Black' HDDs...

Needless to say, P11Pro's complexity came as a shock. Many months on, I'm still fumbling with basic navigation. I keep trying to do straight-forward stuff, but everything always seems to need two, three or four extra steps from what I'd expect. There may be hot-key short-cuts, but I cannot remember any such beyond copy/paste.

Still, I'm off the floor, onto the Poser 'training wall'. I really, really like the 'external runtime library' facility, given my half-terabyte of 'legacy' and 'recent' freebies, plus much, much bought stuff. Being able to load and un-load such without trashing the core run-time is good.

The speed, though: Stuff that would take P4 a real-leisurely coffee-break to render takes but twelve (12) seconds in P11 Firefly, half a minute (33 secs) in Superfly via the two GPU cards...

Now to business: I've not met any of the arcane bugs & quirks mentioned earlier in this thread, but I don't yet use Poser at that level.

As I want to shuffle stuff between Poser, 3D-CAD and a new, budget 'house plan' program for both fun and that now-redesigned caravanserai, I'm more interested by import / export facilities and limits. My desktop includes handy shortcuts to IrfanView for flat stuff, 3D Object Converter, GeomStrip, PZ3 Editor, FBX Converter, dsf Tools and, yes, PMX Editor, the half-translated one.

I've learned what formats may be readily gleaned, what can't. eg Old LWO meshes can be converted, their recent format is proprietary. Unity packages are full of twisty little passages and directories, all apparently alike unto many levels down...

Happens there's a lot of fun, lo-ish-poly freebie props in the MMD community. And, un-encrypted PMD/PMX meshes, mirrored and exported to OBJ/MTL by the PMX Editor, generally import well to Poser.

Figures, of course, 'lose their bones' and come across as static props. Handy for back-ground, but such a waste of rigging...

So, I must wonder, is there potential for importing such un-encrypted MMD figures, complete with rigging ??

;-)

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:45 AM
Online Now!

Forgive the question of the ignorant. What is MMD?

starfish34 ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 12:33 PM

I'd really like to not have a graph window open up because I didn't wait long enough to drag a keyframe after selecting it and it's interpreted as a double-click. Why isn't the double-click "feature" optional? Having to hesitate after selecting a keyframe slows me down considerably, and having to close graph windows slows me down even more.

In the Hierarchy Editor it's way too easy to accidentally parent something when I'm just turning things on and off. Why not require a modifier key to parent? Or make parenting objects that way optional?

I don't care nearly as much about new features as I do improving the usability of existing ones. For instance, if I don't wait long enough to start typing a file name after clicking Make Movie, and the name includes a letter used as a keyboard shortcut, it actually cancels the export and applies the keyboard shortcut instead!

starfish34 ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 12:36 PM

Rhia474 posted at 12:36PM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371782

Forgive the question of the ignorant. What is MMD?

I think it's a Japanese animation app.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 12:37 PM

'Miku Miku Dance' is a program that supports low-ish poly Anime figures you can pose / animate within scenes.

DA has lots of freebies.

Not photo-real, but handy for fantasy etc backgrounds. Um, here's a 'Snow Miku' I recently rendered in Poser as a test.

( Found on DA, mirrored & exported by PMX Editor to OBJ/MTL , imported as prop to Poser as '100% Standard Figure Size'.)

Snow Miku 2019.jpg

Bigmuff72 ( ) posted Mon, 09 December 2019 at 1:16 AM

I haven't checked if someone posted about this before me, if its the case just add ++ to the request...

Please, add support for rendering with Nvidia RTX 20XX Display Cards (Turing Architecture)

movida ( ) posted Mon, 09 December 2019 at 10:46 PM · edited Mon, 09 December 2019 at 10:47 PM

I'd like the GoZ error (if it is an error and not by design) fixed wherein you can't go back and forth while doing multiple instances of HD morphs without spiking or worse

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2019 at 11:42 AM

Wishlist time again? Cool. First time I've been her in a couple of years and look at all the changes.

1. Please, fix the IK for us animators. Switching it on and off will wreck your work, and the lack of IK loops prevents holding items without issue.
  2. Expand the graph editor. Being able to scale it, drag it to a second monitor without tearing, and having color coded, multiple spline lines displayed would be a boon.
  3. Improve the hair room. Better collision control or moving to something like a particle based hair system.
  4. Particles and/or Metaballs. The old Metaform program made it possible to have fluid effects in Poser, and would greatly enhance the images possible. Colliding rain, flame, and other effects (assuming you are willing to wait for the simulation to run properly) would improve scene potential.
  5. If possible, maintain the interoperability between Poser and Vue. The latter is unsurpassed in terrain generation and as a end stage scene renderer.
  6. Include more industry standard import and export formats. EXR, FBX, etc. The more Poser can output, the more useful it can be outside of its niche.
  7. Start a documentation project. The individual 'rooms' in Poser have suffered from a serious lack of knowledge. Some need to be simplified obviously, but all of them need clear, concise documentation.
  8. General animation control and dope sheet improvements in general. There are long lists of work arounds for the lack of controls and functions in the animation room, but not needing them would be very nice.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2019 at 12:04 PM

Hi DaleB

With the regrettable exception of functional IK foot/floor contact solver,

Daz studio 4.12 has ALL of the character animation features you have listed Including four options for audio based lipsynch.

Sadly posers animation tools have been left to languish for a decade :-(

My website

YouTube Channel

maur_2005 ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2019 at 12:57 PM

These are my wishes:

• Octane Render
  • Add GPU Render support for Firefly
  • Export to Photoshop options
  • More acurate lighting options

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2019 at 2:33 PM

wolf359 posted at 2:23PM Fri, 13 December 2019 - #4373237

Hi DaleB

With the regrettable exception of functional IK foot/floor contact solver,

Daz studio 4.12 has ALL of the character animation features you have listed Including four options for audio based lipsynch.

Sadly posers animation tools have been left to languish for a decade :-(

Hey, Wolf! Oh trust me, I know. But hope springs eternal. I'm rebuilding things, as my CG box was utterly horked by a Win 10 upgrade, to the point it wouldn't boot. I do have the Iclone 5.5 and 3DXchange we talked about long long ago, so I have that work around (just have to import the obj's and scale them properly to build basic environments to animate in, then import into Poser for detail work then out to Vue to render. Bit of a Rube Goldberg pipeline, but it works, so....). I don't expect anything in the first real release as I know changing code takes time to get right. But if no one asks, things get ignored for the higher volume stuff. If they do address the issues in the cloth room and hair room, they almost have to address at least some of the animation issues, as those processes are animated. One can but hope

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 14 December 2019 at 3:12 PM

Might have been mentioned before...

I picked up Dexsoft's 'Old Temple' in R's clearance sale. PZ3 loaded clean. Then P11.x prompts to locate texture "gentrance_S.tga". After a fruitless search, I remember old P versions had a vexing bug which often hid the first characters of sought name out to left of dialogue box. Yup, side-arrowing found P actually wanted "fittingentrance_S.tga"

Please, it's been eight, nine, no, ten years ?

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 14 December 2019 at 6:47 PM

Oh, and it does much the same if you drag a CR2 into scene, prompting you with only the second half of required OBJ's name. Must left-arrow to show all...

Then, to add insult to injury, you don't seem able to copy/paste path from an open folder to this, per 'Windows', you gotta take the scenic route and manually traverse folder tree... {Sulk...}

NikKelly ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2019 at 1:57 PM

If looking at importing 'other' model formats with existing bones, I've been reminded that there are many in XPS format, for the free XNA Lara engine.

I'm investigating both an XPS to MMD converter, and the XNA Lara itself.

Sorry, bit terse, as BossCat helping me type between re-arranging In-Tray...

BernieFB ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2019 at 5:58 AM

I'm still waiting for an update to the PoserFusion for Lightwave export.

Retrowave ( ) posted Sun, 22 December 2019 at 9:12 AM · edited Sun, 22 December 2019 at 9:20 AM

I just posted my wishes for Poser 12 across two posts in another thread, but I wasn't aware of this thread at the time. I might as well condense them both into one and post it here as I really hope the bosses here will read it ...

For starters, animation has fallen far behind. It's not that Poser cannot be used for animation, it's just that it really needs updating in that department. The animation editing in Poser is far too clunky compared to iClone or even DAZ Studio, and it really need not be like that if only they would take clues from iClone regards the sort of animation features that allow people to generate and edit animation quickly and efficiently.

Poser, like DAZ Studio, appears to be throwing the majority of its eggs into the stills basket, which sadly leaves the animation side of things looking a bit worn and dated. Reallusion on the other hand, have realised that the key to everything in 3D, is immediacy, which is no doubt why it does both animation and stills in realtime.

If I were manager for Poser, this would be my plans for her:

• Replace Poser's viewport with the realtime EEVEE viewport used in Blender.
  • Upgrade Poser's animation editors and add some form of procedural motion and walk designer.
  • Commission Shane to do a realtime-friendly lower-poly version of his figures and include them.

The difference these three key elements would make to Poser across the board, are quite significant. The reason being that everything you do in Poser will all of a sudden, happen in realtime due to having EEVEE. With this in place, along with specialised lower-poly animation-figures to work with, and a more productive animation system in place, Poser would blast through three hurdles:

• The holy grail of working in realtime would be present for both stills and animation.
  • The lost animation market would be catered for and attracted back to Poser.
  • The performance would be the biggest draw for selling an upgrade, that Poser ever had.

Well designed, animation-friendly figures that were truly designed with the future in mind, along with a realtime EEVEE viewport and upgraded animation tools, would have Poser truly strutting her stuff again, and would genuinely deserve the slogan ...

POSER IS BACK - BIG TIME!

Poser also suffers with far too much 'legacy' getting in the way of things, but providing the scenario I mentioned above was actually realised, here is how Renderosity could 'shake' the legacy, increase their profits, be left with a clean slate, and they could do it while still catering to the legacy crowd for those who want it.

• Remove all current content from Poser's default program download, all of it.
  • Remove the old walk designer, it would no longer be needed in view of the procedural animation generator.
  • Supply only one default animation-friendly male and female by default.
  • Package all legacy content into separate legacy downloads for those who want it.
  • Increase Renderosity's profits by encouraging new content using PBR textures for the new EEVEE viewport.
  • Increase Renderosity's profits by encouraging animation block sales for use in Poser's new animation tools.

Shake the waste, new slate, bang up-to-date!

UPDATE: I was just looking at the topology on Shane's figures again. They're so efficiently designed and well topologised that I doubt they would even need a reduction in poly to become animation friendly. What a shame they are not the default figures, especially if the scenario I described above could be realised.

The only thing I don't like about them are the names given to them. Personally I have always thought the names "Alpha" for the male and "Delta" for the female would make sense, especially as they're software figures. The name "Alpha" is also used as a way to describe a dominant male, and "Delta" is genuinely also a female name (Delta Goodrem for example).

The names "Alpha" and "Delta" also have a very nice ring to them, so just in case these ideas ever see the light of day, I hereby claim the names "Alpha" and "Delta" for my own figures. I have no wish to create such figures, but I'm protecting the names in case Renderosity every do this, in which case, they are most welcome to take them and use them.

So anyway, I reckon Shane's meshes going by the names Alpha and Delta, are the only human figures that should be included in Poser 12's default download. Because those figures, when used in the sort of Poser I described in my previous post, create a sensible, completely viable framework, in which Poser would expand with great success.

It means that finally, Poser would have worthy figure bases that can be kept and added to with each new release of Poser. It means that instead of ditching Alpha and Delta, they become Poser's permanent default figures, and on each new release, a brand new character set could be included for Alpha and Delta. This ensures that Poser develops it's own figures that would eventually exceed the popularity of V4 and M4.

The current method of constantly replacing the figures is never going to work, it is the very reason DAZ have hugely popular figures and Poser does not. I truly believe that my suggestions are the way forward, and should they ever see the light of day, I sincerely believe we would all be in a better position for being Poser users, not least Renderosity.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 3:02 PM

Retrowave posted at 4:59PM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374102

• Remove all current content from Poser's default program download, all of it.
  • Package all legacy content into separate legacy downloads for those who want it.

You've been gone for a while - this was already done for 11.2. They kept basically just the primitives and some tutorial files and other basics, and added some new things like Superfly-specific materials and basic LaFemme to the main installer, then 8gb worth of new content on new optional installers, then legacy content installers for whoever might want those.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2019 at 10:07 AM

BernieFB posted at 10:05AM Fri, 27 December 2019 - #4373792

I have read that the poser fusion plugins are no longer being developed.

My website

YouTube Channel

structure ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2019 at 5:19 PM
Forum Coordinator

wolf359 posted at 11:16PM Fri, 27 December 2019 - #4374673

BernieFB posted at 10:05AM Fri, 27 December 2019 - #4373792

I have read that the poser fusion plugins are no longer being developed.

This is correct, PoserFusion takes too much time away from the development of poser. The main focus of the dev team is now on the poser program.

Locked Out

Retrowave ( ) posted Sun, 29 December 2019 at 5:05 PM · edited Sun, 29 December 2019 at 5:09 PM

Just wanted to add to my post three posts back, as there could be confusion as to what I meant by Procedural Animation Generator. Think of it along the lines of the motion generation used in iClone, but taken to the next level such as the example shown at this link: Click here to see the awesomeness of interactive procedural animation generation

So imagine this; Poser 12 arrives, has a realtime EEVEE viewport, animation-friendly default figures, and a procedural animation generator that can do the sort of stuff shown at that link. Can you imagine how productive and fun such an environment would be, seeing your Poser figure rendered in realtime, running in realtime, right there in the EEVEE-Powered Poser viewport as you adjust the parameters interactively and see it reacting, live?

I'm guessing the result would be something like ... 😍

But the system I have in mind is even better than that, MUCH better, because you can select, say, the head bone and adjust the dynamics and damping of it's motion, so that the head shakes naturally depending on the rest of the walk. You could do really weird stuff like selecting the arm bones and reducing the damping so much that they swing like jelly in direct reaction to the walk, ideal for a tentacle monster perhaps. You could select the spine and slacken it off a bit, to make more of a slouch posture for use on an elderly figure, and the whole thing will react accordingly. The important thing to remember here is that because the animation is procedural and is being calculated in realtime, the dynamics form part of the animation itself, and make everything look far more realistic as a result. When figures walk with the system I have in mind here, they walk with a sense of real weight behind them due to the dynamics playing a direct part in the animation.

And of course, once you have your perfect walk cycle dialed in, you can bake it to the new, improved, animation layering and editing timeline, which in turn allows you to generate complete, detailed blocks of animation without breaking a sweat. The more commercially minded will use this system to generate blocks of animation that can be sold on the Renderosity Marketplace for use in Poser. These blocks of animation can be loaded into the layers of Posers new, improved, animation tools!

The cycle continues ... people get happy ... people get productive ... art is made ... movies are made ... profit is made!

Retrowave ( ) posted Sun, 29 December 2019 at 5:45 PM · edited Sun, 29 December 2019 at 5:46 PM

Regards my post above, you might wonder how the figure would be controlled in a Poser scene. Well fact is you do it the way you've always done it with the old Walk Designer, you simply place a spline curve into the scene and have the figure follow it in a loop as you watch and refine the animation. Only now, it will walk over objects instead of walking through them, and the animation itself will react realistically, completely live as you refine it as you watch it.

Lovely stuff 😎

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2019 at 3:52 AM

Just one final thing regards my posts above. The system I describe requires collision detection, because in order for the figure to walk along a bumpy terrain, its feet need to collide with it.

The good news is that this could be achieved in Poser largely with technology it already has in place. All you would need to do is use Poser's Morph Brush to sculpt a terrain out of a subdivided plane object, then set it as a Kinematic Collision object so that the feet know they need to collide with it, therefore making the figure walk over it.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2019 at 6:45 AM
Forum Coordinator

Retrowave posted at 1:36PM Mon, 30 December 2019 - #4374956

The good news is that this could be achieved in Poser largely with technology it already has in place. All you would need to do is use Poser's Morph Brush to sculpt a terrain out of a subdivided plane object, then set it as a Kinematic Collision object so that the feet know they need to collide with it, therefore making the figure walk over it.

Even more simple: hi-res square, scale to cover area, hover above highest obstacle at frame, average floor height in frame x, cloth room, cloth density high, stretch and shear stiffness low, collide with whatever else is in the scene, corner points choreographed. Run sim. Frame x gives your collision actor.

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2019 at 12:55 PM · edited Mon, 30 December 2019 at 12:59 PM

It's a very neat idea. I remember being totally addicted to dragging cloth around while pinning vertices to animatable objects. In fact, I think it was an official R'osity tutorial that brought it to my attention.

Poser sure has some seriously cool animation tech under the hood, it's just a shame the animation interface presented to the animator, is so old and clunky. One of the most powerful aspects of Poser's animation tools is the system Nerd developed. Not sure how many people realise it but it's power goes way beyond controlling a morph by a joint rotation. I remember messing around with all sorts of stuff, like controlling the brightness of a light depending on the bending of a knee, and even attaching a micro-sequence, all spline interpolated and independently sequenced, to a joint and having the bone rotation drive multiple other elements in the scene, depending on the angle of the bone rotation.

Crazy powerful stuff (just update the animation interface please, Bondware).

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2020 at 9:58 AM

Probably a minor thing, but it would be nice to have lights that, in preview, do a better job of mirroring what's actually going to happen in render.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2020 at 2:19 PM

I'm all for upgrading of the physics in Poser:

• Live combing ability for the Hair Room so we can easily style the hair.
  • Inflate and Shrink functions for the Cloth Room, so that we can inflate a duvet, and shrink clothing to a figure.
  • Multi-Core, and if possible GPU acceleration of ALL dynamics functions so that we don't fall asleep between simulations.

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2020 at 7:31 PM

SeanMartin posted at 8:09PM Mon, 06 January 2020 - #4375476

Probably a minor thing, but it would be nice to have lights that, in preview, do a better job of mirroring what's actually going to happen in render.

That's a big part of PBR's advantage, why so many now want it. By conserving light energy, all of your materials are going to look more natural (as in real, not necessarily correct) off the bat. And then it's just getting a few parameters correct to approximate the specific material. Right now it's possible to increase material values so they return more light energy than is in the environment. You can have e.g a light set to 50% but have a material that reflects 100% specular, 80% diffuse, and perhaps also has an ambient value. In Firefly a rendered pixel of that material could return more light than (100 spec + 80 diffuse + x ambient / 2 ) is hitting it. In Cycles a non-emissive material can't return more light than is hitting it. Not wanting to confuse Cycles with a PBR viewport, but it should be easier to simplify Cycles materials to one of the two common PBR variants as the materials are already physically correct. I don't know. I don't see how Poser can ever have eevee as it's GPL (Cycles is Apache license I believe). There are other commercial options, so no reason to automatically assume a PBR viewport would have to be found elsewhere. Marmoset's viewport comes to mind as a non-competing, non-game engine, PBR viewport. iClone has a nice viewport but is probably now in direct competition with Poser, while Unity/UE seem content with their current business models. (I'm not sure that a game engine couldn't actually be used with a proper commercial license that gave access to the source code, depends on the pricing of course. A typical AAA game probably sells many more copies in a short time than a niche creative tool.)

Retrowave ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2020 at 1:20 PM · edited Tue, 07 January 2020 at 1:21 PM

There is a very important feature missing from the Cloth Room, one that really should have been there from the start, that being the ability to control the stiffness and springiness of the fabric by painting vertex weights. I'm amazed we cannot do that already, the feature would work extremely well due to the way Poser's Cloth Room is set up anyway. Another benefit to being able to weight-paint stiffness and springiness, is that it allows you to make excellent, dynamic trans-mapped hair as well. It means you can paint a polygonal hair model, for example, so that the roots are stiffer than the tips, so that when you run the calculation, you have something that behaves like real hair, something that can hold it's shape depending on the stiffness and springiness.

It would also be handy for stuff like period dresses that look large and puffed-up, because the cloth would suddenly have the ability to hold its shape. You'd be able to do much more stuff in the Cloth Room than you can at the moment. I realise we have soft and hard decorated groups, and it's great to have them, but being able to weight paint stiffness and springiness would put it on a whole new level I reckon.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2020 at 2:30 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Retrowave posted at 2:26PM Tue, 07 January 2020 - #4375806

There is a very important feature missing from the Cloth Room, one that really should have been there from the start, that being the ability to control the stiffness and springiness of the fabric by painting vertex weights. I'm amazed we cannot do that already, the feature would work extremely well due to the way Poser's Cloth Room is set up anyway. Another benefit to being able to weight-paint stiffness and springiness, is that it allows you to make excellent, dynamic trans-mapped hair as well. It means you can paint a polygonal hair model, for example, so that the roots are stiffer than the tips, so that when you run the calculation, you have something that behaves like real hair, something that can hold it's shape depending on the stiffness and springiness.

It would also be handy for stuff like period dresses that look large and puffed-up, because the cloth would suddenly have the ability to hold its shape. You'd be able to do much more stuff in the Cloth Room than you can at the moment. I realise we have soft and hard decorated groups, and it's great to have them, but being able to weight paint stiffness and springiness would put it on a whole new level I reckon.

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but you can set up different dynamic groups (in addition to the soft, ridged, etc. that you mentioned) for the same piece of cloth so you can make the sleeves stiffer than the skirt.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2020 at 6:07 PM

Retrowave posted at 6:59PM Tue, 07 January 2020 - #4375001

One of the most powerful aspects of Poser's animation tools is the system Nerd developed. Not sure how many people realise it but it's power goes way beyond controlling a morph by a joint rotation. I remember messing around with all sorts of stuff, like controlling the brightness of a light depending on the bending of a knee, and even attaching a micro-sequence, all spline interpolated and independently sequenced, to a joint and having the bone rotation drive multiple other elements in the scene, depending on the angle of the bone rotation. . That must've went under my radar. I kinda feel bad for skipping that release and vocally complaining about it. I didn't want another CPU renderer as I was already looking with envy at iClone's viewport. But dang I thought we'd finally get some longstanding issues fixed, the hierarchy window and file requestor/library issues specifically. I was just certain a long time user would want to see those taken care of before shoehorning in another renderer (I'd just bought Reality anyway, and the introduction of Cycles kinda killed my enthusiasm for that). Anyway, I know features sell upgrades and no one wants to pay for a bunch of bug-fixes no matter how annoying they are. Now I need to look more into those animation tools...

Retrowave ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2020 at 5:23 AM

Here's a powerful, dynamic, realtime animation feature they could add to Poser very easily:

For more information, just search for "Blender Jiggle Armature", we need one of these in Poser. You can basically select any regular bone and make it dynamic. You can control it's weight, joint friction etc. This is the sort of thing I wanted to see merged into the procedural walk generator I talked about earlier.

There's some other demos out there, for example someone uses it to have loose armour wobble around as his mech walks. Another used it to create secondary motion on a boxing animation. Really cool, makes all the difference, and the icing on the cake is it's (relatively) free when it comes to resources, and would be easy to implement in Poser.

@RedPhantom - True, but that current method is very limiting because it means the material is either hard or soft. What I'm getting at means that the Cloth Brush would be more like the Morph Brush in that you can paint a gradual stiffness across your fabric. Think of it like comparing a pure black and white duotone image, to a greyscale one.

@Moogal - Exactly, the animation situation is a major bummer, and needs fixing big-time!

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 09 January 2020 at 3:50 PM

One small thing that would really help with workflow. When a new prop is added to a scene, the prop should always be the Selected Item. Sometimes this seems to happen but mostly it doesn't. Immediately after adding the prop, the first thing I want to do is adjust it and apply Python stuff to it. When it's not Selected, I have to scan down through the long list of props, or use the mouse to click on it.

And repeating an earlier similar wish: All keyboard commands should be available all the time. In more recent versions of Poser you need to click on the display window before using a command like Ctrl-R for render or Ctrl-U for materials. This gets in the way of workflow.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

722 ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2020 at 11:06 PM

need more awesome lighting , if this cycle node sub pots to be great where are all the materials at ? if there where i would by them? so my wish list would start with beater render'er , materials, lighting, i think i already mentioned make it easier to content creation in PP12., improve the radiant lighting , i love making anything into a light emitter , but you have to set your render settings so high to make it look dissent,,, .

ruscular3d ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2020 at 9:00 AM

I been playing with Akeytsu new animation tool that Poser user could use to animate their character, but hit a snag in their FBX export feature that aren't fully accurate in the export with the character accessories attach to the figure. It can only import figure in one layer. Daz figure doesn't show any issues of importing to Akeystu. I think this Akeytsu program is worth looking into to make poser work better with it.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 18 January 2020 at 8:17 PM

722 posted at 9:14PM Sat, 18 January 2020 - #4376535

need more awesome lighting , if this cycle node sub pots to be great where are all the materials at ? if there where i would by them? so my wish list would start with beater render'er , materials, lighting, i think i already mentioned make it easier to content creation in PP12., improve the radiant lighting , i love making anything into a light emitter , but you have to set your render settings so high to make it look dissent,,, .

It's not the render engine. Cycles is damn good. But Poser doesn't have all of the cycle nodes, and it doesn't read blender files, so it's both hard to duplicate and get materials into Poser.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 18 January 2020 at 8:26 PM

To reiterate what I said, I bought a material collection of almost 100 material two years ago for Cycles. I can use all of them in Blender. Hardly use any of them in Poser for several reasons:

1. Poser doesn't read Blender cycle node files.

2. Poser is missing several of the key nodes needed to make those materials.

3. I can and have tried to rebuild several nodes in Poser's material room, but it's hard. As I said, Poser is missing some of the nodes needed. And the material room nodes jump around like Mexican jumping beams on a hot skillet. It's confusing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.