Thu, Sep 19, 12:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:30 am)

Subject: New Poser Wishlist

Retrowave ( ) posted Tue, 10 March 2020 at 9:26 AM ยท edited Tue, 10 March 2020 at 9:27 AM

EClark1894 posted at 9:26AM Tue, 10 March 2020 - #4382877

Actually, I don't have a real problem with the icons. although I think putting little arrow heads on the tips to indicate which direction they are supposed to control would be nice.

What, you mean like the original aptly-themed 'hands' that were 'pointing' in various directions, and also happened to mimic perfecly, the main camera controls?

You know, the ones I'm complaining about them removing for no reason whatsoever? This is the sort of crap you get when large corporations with dollar signs for irises, get their hands on bespoke-crafted software. They actualy hadn't a freaking clue what they were doing, and it shows. The only consollation I find in this, is that interview with Tim Choate. He seems like a nice guy who is genuinely fond of Poser, and I'm hoping that will lead to Bondware fixing the crap SM managed to put in there!

Those new SM icons look as if they fired the seasoned artist, and hired the teaboy. Those original interface icons were created by a guy who knows a thing or two about bespoke interfaces, and what you need to understand, Clarkie, is that both Poser and Bryce have survived years of mismanagement and neglect largely because of the feel those controls give to Poser and Bryce. Start messing with that stuff and you're left with DAZ Studio, and I wouldn't wish that interface experience on my worst enemy!

Face it, it looks like crap, is out of place, was completely and utterly pointless, and should not have had precious time and resources spent on doing it, period!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 10 March 2020 at 9:40 AM ยท edited Tue, 10 March 2020 at 9:41 AM

I didn't mind the Bryce interface so much, but I've never really liked the hands and trackballs of Poser's interface. I've wanted to turn them back to Poser 2's UI for twenty years.

I don't like it, but I've learned to live with it.

Retrowave ( ) posted Tue, 10 March 2020 at 9:41 AM

Crikey!

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2020 at 3:13 AM ยท edited Wed, 25 March 2020 at 3:13 AM

An easy way to use your own render(s) for the Poser splashscreen. By 'easy' I mean easier than the current 'edit the '30000_credits_splash.psd' file (which requires admin rights)

It would be even more fun if each time Poser started it used a random image from a specific folder (see my comment at DA here)

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, andย HiveWire3Dย flavours (the DeviantArt andย CGBytesย flavour have been discontinued).

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2020 at 11:49 AM
Online Now!

When I work with my own color palettes, I wish Poser could support hexadecimal color notation, like #FF2C5A. I create my palettes in Paintshop Pro, and when I bring them to Poser, I am forced to convert colors into split RGB channels, which take 3 inputs instead of only a single hex value. It could be something as simple as adding hex input to the color picker. It's a little thing that would make life easier to artists.

My Store at Renderosity

My Store at PoserSoftware

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2020 at 2:10 PM

Ken_1171 posted at 3:09PM Wed, 25 March 2020 - #4384517

When I work with my own color palettes, I wish Poser could support hexadecimal color notation, like #FF2C5A. I create my palettes in Paintshop Pro, and when I bring them to Poser, I am forced to convert colors into split RGB channels, which take 3 inputs instead of only a single hex value. It could be something as simple as adding hex input to the color picker. It's a little thing that would make life easier to artists.

Yes, this is something I'd like as well, as I've always used hex notation when designing websites years ago, so it's very familiar to me as well.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Dmon ( ) posted Thu, 26 March 2020 at 1:40 PM

After just a couple of days with Poser Pro 11 I am incredibly frustrated! Light emitters no longer work in Firefly. Why? And most of my python scripts and wacros also no longer work. It's like the materials room is completely messed up - I assume because of the Superfly render engine, which I will definitely never use. I hope the next update remedies some of this.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 26 March 2020 at 3:50 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Light emitters still work. Here's a firefly render lit only by the prop in the middle. There are a bit of artifacts because it's a low-quality render

light emmitter.jpg

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 26 March 2020 at 4:01 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

And try Avfix https://www.poserlounge.nl/PLWP/fix-for-scripts-in-poser-11-2/ for a fix for the scripts

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 26 March 2020 at 4:27 PM

Dmon posted at 4:22PM Thu, 26 March 2020 - #4384586

Light emitters no longer work in Firefly.

Check the Firefly render settings; engage raytracing, irradiance caching, and indirect light.

HoliDeer 9-17 P11 FF settings.png

Poser 12, in feet.ย ย 

OSes:ย  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Dmon ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2020 at 12:39 PM

seachnasaigh posted at 12:38PM Fri, 27 March 2020 - #4384592

Dmon posted at 4:22PM Thu, 26 March 2020 - #4384586

Light emitters no longer work in Firefly.

Check the Firefly render settings; engage raytracing, irradiance caching, and indirect light.

HoliDeer 9-17 P11 FF settings.png

My sincerest apology! It's been a while - I had completely forgotten about indirect light and all the little red dots. Thank you :)

Dmon ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2020 at 12:40 PM

RedPhantom posted at 12:40PM Fri, 27 March 2020 - #4384591

And try Avfix https://www.poserlounge.nl/PLWP/fix-for-scripts-in-poser-11-2/ for a fix for the scripts

Thank you!

unrealblue ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2020 at 12:42 AM

samsiahaija posted at 4:39PM Sun, 29 March 2020 - #4378609

I haven't read through this entire thread, but real time hair and cloth simulation without creating an animation first would be nice. Maya has had this for over a decade. The way it is now, dynamic clothes and hair are too impractical and time consuming.

What about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3W1cl3BYwc

Maya may be $1000 but Blender is about $1000 less expensive :)

unrealblue ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2020 at 12:45 AM

I'm sure I've mentioned this before. But: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-prorender

dog walkies, ho!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2020 at 6:58 AM ยท edited Sun, 29 March 2020 at 6:59 AM

thoennes posted at 7:53AM Sun, 29 March 2020 - #4384737

I haven't read through this entire thread, but real time hair and cloth simulation without creating an animation first would be nice. Maya has had this for over a decade. The way it is now, dynamic clothes and hair are too impractical and time consuming.

Blender has other corporations and companies that donate money to it. Yes, it's open source, but technically speaking, it is not free. Those companies gain two things from that, a tax write off, and overall lower development costs. Blender is run by the Blender Organization. Look it up.

JimTS ( ) posted Mon, 30 March 2020 at 4:16 PM

access to all of my Pascal cores is requisite for me to fork out dime on the next version. I'm not buying in to a new machine @ about $4000 to buy the new version too! I got into Poser because it was a lot less expensive than 3D Studio Max and Character Studio.

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Pรฉguy

ย Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

unrealblue ( ) posted Tue, 31 March 2020 at 7:33 PM

EClark1894 posted at 11:24AM Wed, 01 April 2020 - #4384748

thoennes posted at 7:53AM Sun, 29 March 2020 - #4384737

Blender has other corporations and companies that donate money to it. Yes, it's open source, but technically speaking, it is not free. Those companies gain two things from that, a tax write off, and overall lower development costs. Blender is run by the Blender Organization. Look it up.

Well aware I am of the Blender Foundation and its funding :D

An important thing they get for their money is a degree of preference on their priorities. It seems a nice setup, though. It's kind of like the major contributors compete with what they can do with the tools, rather than with tools.

I wasn't making a point to it's source availability. Nor its funding model. The cost to me, and all users is free. It they wish to support the development, they can. They don't have to.

Anyway, my point was the feature being discussed. Dynamic cloth. Specifically, the very cool new cloth sculpt feature. At least, I think it's cool.

Perhaps Poser can leverage that, the way they leverage Cycles? o.O

I'm enjoying using Blender (free) to make free things for Poser (not free but I like it anyway :)

unrealblue ( ) posted Tue, 31 March 2020 at 7:54 PM

Ooh, a feature request. This has to do with the selection of points affected by the morph brush.

1. It would be very helpful if the points of the mesh I'm working on (eg: a clothing piece) were selectable even when behind a non-selected surface. You can't get to the points "inside" a figure to morph them out onto the surface of the figure.

2. Another feature that would be helpful. Being able to set transparancy of active and inactive parts. Again, it would be nice if I could have the figure see through (but I could still see it) while the thing I'm morphing is opaque. Sometimes, the inverse would be nice. Transparency of selected (in preview) and transparency of non-selected as a setting would get me there.

The combination would really go a long way to helping with morphs.

1. Brush shapes. At least an elliptical brush. Setting for axis-axis ratio, maybe. Think how easy it would make things like wrinkles. And there are timer when I'm morphing something that needs to be done wide, but is a narrow strip and I don't want the other edge affected. Now, I have to do a series of small circles, then smooth and keep doing that. Shape would save huge time.

2. Pins for morphs. Would be nice to define vertices that don't move. Smooth is particularly brutal when you brush an edge. You want smooth on everything except the edge. Would also be nice if the morph could be constrained to normal or plane or perpendicular to normal. For some reason, I thought that was possible.

3. A pony.

PS: I do have the HW horse. But I want a real pony.

MNE ( ) posted Wed, 01 April 2020 at 12:41 PM

In 11.3, the final result cannot be saved in the clothe room, and only the clothes are reset at the end. Is it because of my environment?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 01 April 2020 at 2:57 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

This has been a problem in Poser 11 right along. Try saving the file before running the simulation.

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 01 April 2020 at 6:23 PM

RedPhantom posted at 7:20PM Wed, 01 April 2020 - #4385129

This has been a problem in Poser 11 right along. Try saving the file before running the simulation.

That's exactly what I've been doing when playing in the Cloth Room. You wouldn't think it would be needed, but now I make sure to save the file after I've got everything set up for the sim, and it works each and every time. Maybe they'll get that adjusted with PP12.

Butterfly Dezignz

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 01 April 2020 at 8:21 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Miss B posted at 8:17PM Wed, 01 April 2020 - #4385146

That's exactly what I've been doing when playing in the Cloth Room. You wouldn't think it would be needed, but now I make sure to save the file after I've got everything set up for the sim, and it works each and every time. Maybe they'll get that adjusted with PP12.

You don't necessarily have to do it right before running the simulation, you just have to have a file name because it needs that for the simulation files. That said, I usually save just beforehand in case poser crashed during the simulation.

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 01 April 2020 at 8:52 PM

Hmmmm, OK. I don't recall for sure because I've been beta testing dynamic clothing for a while now, but I thought the first couple of times I tried it didn't work, and when I mentioned it to the CA at HW3D I was testing for that I was having an issue, she immediately said to save before running the sim.

That said, I don't necessarily save a scene immediately, but certainly do it before doing something I've never done before, like working in the Cloth Room, so I'm pretty sure the file was already saved at least once. Now I'm just so used to doing it just before a sim, that its more or less second nature.

Butterfly Dezignz

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2020 at 8:30 AM ยท edited Thu, 02 April 2020 at 8:31 AM

Miss B posted at 9:28AM Thu, 02 April 2020 - #4385146

But if we ask them to fix a bug, they won't have time to fix the "important" stuff.

MNE ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2020 at 8:37 AM

Thank you everyone. I will try it immediately.

NikKelly ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 3:26 PM

Just been wrangling a large OBJ file, a sprawling industrial set/scene, that did not read its bundled ~30 KB MTL file. Yes, ~30 KB. Hand-loading those ~250 materials' calls to ~140 textures maps in Material room was totally impracticable, but I did first dozen from curiosity. Then thought to check the OBJ's MTL call. Opening ~32 MB OBJ file in Wordpad found path led deep, deep into a sub-folder on author's D: drive. Oops. Took longer to re-save than edit...

Question arises: If Poser can prompt to browse for a missing texture, albeit with legacy 'initial characters off field' bug, why is there no obvious way to browse for a strayed MTL ?? Or call an 'alternate' MTL ?? Could not find anything relevant in the 'manual'...

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2020 at 4:13 PM

Weld on export and maintain vertex order? That would be a godsend.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2020 at 7:21 PM

Sorry, yet another rant about FBX import. Yes, when the FBX is correctly rigged, with a complete hierarchy, it works like it says on the tin.

Of course, to reach that stage, you may have to do a 'binary chop' to find a usable import scaling. Default is 100%, but I've had them range from ~0.5% to ~3500%, with several I never did find... Please, like OBJ import, may we have a 'scale to figure' option ??

Then you discover eg the body is welded as a solid mannequin. Posing requires heroic surgery & re-rigging, both currently beyond my wits.

Worse, body, clothes and accessories may import as a flock of components in loose formation. Really requires re-rigging, but 'Plan_B' is to use hierarchy display to mass-parent them to a low-poly place-holder such as Les Bentley's free 'MinFig' or Anthony Appleyard's free 'Dummy',

(Latter may need origin re-setting, then saving to library as eg 'Dummy000' prior to parenting. Such re-setting was trivial in P4, but P11 makes it hard. With nothing apparent in P11 PDF manual search or index...)

Thus parented, you can easily pivot FBX from typical horizontal posture, scale the last +/- 25 % from your best-guess, 'At Least It Is On-Screen' import scaling. Now, you notice several parts are missing. A further search finds eg face and hair went astray at import. Gotta back-track. In fact, usually easiest to delete and re-import, now with a better-guess scaling....

Then, how do you persuade your imported FBX to use an associated texture directory ? When you open FBX in eg Windows' 3D Paint, it may prompt for such. P11 either gets it mostly-right automatically, or totally muddles the materials. No obvious way to 'browse' to the set, and a real pain to manually import umpteen textures via material room. Which usually requires me to have free Autodesk Toolkit's 'FBX Explorer' open, too, as there's no obvious equivalent of an OBJ's MTL look-up list...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2020 at 10:22 AM

And another import grumble. 'Features' Says PoserPro can import/export Z-Brush, but digging into documentation shows only compatible with GoZ files. Will not recognise or import ZTL models... { Mutter, mutter, mutter...}

rrward ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2020 at 7:28 PM

What I want is for them to fix the hardware selectors for Superfly rendering. Every other rendering software I've looked at uses radio buttons that let you select each device you want to use, Poser gives me a list of options: CPU, Video Card 1, Video Card 2, Video Card 3, All Video Cards, CPU and all Video Cards, of which I can only choose one. Thing is, I don't want to use all my video cards as one of them is reserved for the monitor so I can do other things while my renders bake. Having to resort to either buying an unsupported video card, or using the Nvidia Control Panel to turn CUDA off on the display card (which is also far weaker and older than the render cards) is not acceptable: buying even more equipment to get around a bad UI design is a non-starter and you have to remember to disable CUDA every time your video drivers update. Yes, I know Poser's development team has only recently been resurrected, but this issue really yanks my chain.

Bakensobek ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2020 at 1:36 PM

I don't know if it was mentioned (it's such a long thread) or if it has been implemented before (Using Poser Pro 2014 still) but multi-core and/or GPU processing on the entire program and not just rendering would be a huge plus. Right now, trying to create a scene with a large number of figures and props is a real pain. And I see only one CPU core being used while I struggle to move the camera around.

I know native support for DS items may be wishful thinking, but if not so, an easy way to import them would be great. It's disappointing to see so many items (buildings, rooms, landscapes, creatures, figures). that I wish I could purchase and use. I tried to get used to DS, but I find the GUI clunky and non-intuitive, I gave up on trying to make much with it.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2020 at 4:40 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I agree. Large figure scenes is a pain. Until they fix it (assuming they do) you could try this method https://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/?tutorial_id=3044 I managed to create a 70 person scene with that method.

NikKelly ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2020 at 10:32 PM ยท edited Wed, 06 May 2020 at 10:32 PM

#Bakensobek said... "I know native support for DS items may be wishful thinking, but if not so, an easy way to import them would be great."

IIRC, DAZ recommends crafting PCF files and using DSON importer. Perhaps I'm getting too old, but I've yet to make this route work.

I have imported a bunch of DUF/DSF props by converting them to OBJ/MTL using ($$) dsf Tools. Fixing their textures can be a bit of an adventure. And, yes, given I use OBJ/MTL models in several 3D applications,I'd like a utility to rip MC5/MC6 to MTL. Before my tree-pollen hay-fever struck, I'd begun to figure the mapping. Sadly, my anti-histamines' 'zonk' thwarted progress...

Poser UI has its woes, many probably due neglect by SM (*), but I find DS' UI inpenetrable. It's a bit like Unity etc in that you mostly gotta do stuff a very, very specific way. Worse, its library system really, really does not like 3rd-party freebies. Again, when my hay-fever eases, I'll have yet another try at mastering the 'DS Library' tutorial I found...

*) If you look back along this mega-thread, I mention a bug that's been around since P4: When imported OBJ calls for a missing texture, half the file name sought lies off the left of the field. Good luck finding that !! Probably a legacy from 8-character names but, hey... FWIW, to date, FBX import doesn't even offer such a browse option, or scaling to character, iteration required...

tastiger ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2020 at 5:07 PM ยท edited Thu, 07 May 2020 at 5:08 PM

Lights

Not sure about anyone else, maybe I am the only one with this problem, but I dread loading lights, one can get by with most of the sets out there at the moment, but that's a bit like cheating.

I absolutely hate loading a light, then finding it, particularly when it is in a big scene with other lights, why does a new light not come in at zero position? I would envisage some sort of setup like Carrara, where I can select the type of light I want and drag it into the scene roughly where I want it, at least this way would save trying to find the loaded light and then moving it to where it is needed or using that "light ball" that always been in the interface.

As I said maybe it's just me...

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHzย ย  3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 17 May 2020 at 1:33 PM

Material room UI woes...

This is sorta cross-posted from 'New Users'...

IMHO, the material room list ergonomics 'fall over' if there's more than one page of materials, as you must spend ages scrolling with those teeny-tiny up/down arrows. Does not seem to recognise mouse / track-ball scroll wheels...

Gets silly with 40 ~~75+ materials. One FBX model had 90-some !! Then, for each material, list auto-closes, re-opens on first page. At least, when you scroll down, list still highlights where you were...

And such tiny font ? 'Micro-Western' is hard enough to read but, when you meet a swathe of glyphs, you'll struggle. I've resorted to having any bundled OBJ's MTL open to 'compare & contrast'. Okay, they're often not in exactly same order, Poser listing #10 before #1, but that's a minor exasperation..

Now the cross-posted hair-tearing that prompted my rant: I'm sorry, this seems so silly, but I'm stumped...

Wrangling an Anime FBX import, I accidentally added a transparency map to a material that does not have one.

How do I delete map and revert to 'blank' default ??

I've tried the 'usual suspects' of no/shift/ctrl left-click/right-click etc etc, peeked in 'Advanced', almost deleted entire model several ways, but never the map...

Same seems to apply to materials' other maps. If in Poser manual, neither index nor search can find fix...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 17 May 2020 at 9:23 PM

"I'd like a utility to rip MC5/MC6 to MTL"

I've been gently reminded that Poser will happily export OBJ/MTL. { Face-palm... }

Thank you, my shy friend !!

NikKelly ( ) posted Thu, 21 May 2020 at 11:56 AM

"How do I delete map and revert to 'blank' default ??"

I've been gently reminded that opening texture map's file browser offers a 'none' option. { Face-palm... }

tastiger ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2020 at 3:00 PM

How about someone tracking down Basil and seeing if the code for ShaderWorks Library Manager can be purchased and integrated into Poser? IMHO the libraries pane is something that has needed a complete overhaul for a long time....

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHzย ย  3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

NikKelly ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2020 at 7:44 PM ยท edited Fri, 22 May 2020 at 7:45 PM

Sometimes, it's the little things, some-times not... Why Won't My W-I-D-E Scene Render In Superfly ??

I imported a nice w-i-d-e MMD stage I'd converted from PMX to OBJ/MTL. Only half-a-dozen materials, one texture map each: Park's footpath tiles, lawn, bench seats, lamp-standard poles, lamp glazing. Load them, go into 'Advanced', dial up lamp glazing Ambiance to self-luminous. LaFemme stood in the middle. Render in Superfly. There's enough lighting from Lights #1~4 for a first pass, then iterate until looks really good. What could go wrong ??

Yeah, right....

Blank screen, beige. Tweak parameters, blank screen, black. Tweak parameters, blank screen black.Tweak parameters, blank screen, black...

Tried with CPU, tried with twin GPU, just blank screen, black. Unless beige...

Firefly renders okay, but without the self-luminous standard lamps...

Seems Superfly render engine simply could not cope with my w-i-d-e scene.

I soon Googled enough to learn this is a well-known, very exasperating quirk of Superfly, but has no sure fix. Changing bucket size etc may mitigate.

At that point, oven timer pinged, so I shut Poser down to clear any lingering cache stuff. This time around, I'll try to be more scientific...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 23 May 2020 at 1:44 PM

Okay, after much Googling etc, I learned I had to turn on SCUDA globally with the Nvidia dashboard. There was an 'individual' listing for P7, but not for PPro 11. Note NO RegEdit or re-boot required. As both my GTX 750 Ti cards have 640 cores, I warily cranked Superfly up to using 'Bucket = 1200' of them. Designating more slowed rest of PC.

Can now rapidly (!!) progressively render ~2/3 of my wide scene in 1090x570 window. Using Poser lights rather than super-ambiance, which I'll try next.

But, there is very little scene size difference / complexity between 'renders progressive' or simply stalls out. No error message in Poser log, just a blank render...

So, other than wary iteration, pushing render limits until GO becomes NOGO, how do we judge what will or won't Superfly ??

Does PPro have a 'Task Gauge' somewhere that reports scene poly-count, materials / textures etc etc ?? Should it ??

FWIW, currently running 34 pixel sample progressive render. Windows' Task Manager shows 80~~85 % GPU usage. I'm getting an acceptable UI & kbd lag...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 23 May 2020 at 3:25 PM

And a new failure mode: superfly renders in 'shades of grey', super-ambience stops working.

But not Superfly, Simply that PPro x64 has gone over ~3 GB RAM and can't juggle its texture maps any more. I cleared out a bunch of renders, reduced cache sizes etc and everything began working again...

{ Looks around for 'gas gauge'... }

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 23 May 2020 at 4:02 PM

Remember when P4 got a 'Big Memory' patch ??

May we have one for PPro ??

Windows' task manager reports my PPro x64 has 2.4 GB RAM, FF Render 1.4 GB, Bondware ~1 GB. Including 'odds & sods', that's about 5GB, a fraction of ~32 GB installed, but looks like PPro can't handle it well...

{ Looks around for 'gas gauge'... }

caisson ( ) posted Sat, 23 May 2020 at 6:19 PM

As I understand things, if you're using GPU rendering it is dependent on VRAM, and if you're using more than one GPU the VRAM available is whatever is on the largest card only. If you exceed that memory the render will immediately fail. The log will give stats on timing and memory usage. It's up to the user to manage the scene - if the scene is too large, switch to CPU or do things like reducing texture size, replace maps with procedurals etc to optimise it.

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

Ken1171_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 24 May 2020 at 12:22 AM
Online Now!

Here are some of the issues I wish would be fixed in Poser.

• Fix the Direct Manupulation gizmo to allow picking axes when the camera is zooming over an actor. As is stands, the closer the camera is to an actor, the less likely we will be able to select parts of the gizmo. We can click it, but it won't highlight the selection, so we could be picking anything, or nothing at all.

• Fix issue where deleting a full body morph will only remove the master dial, leaving orphan slave dials scattered over the rest of the body.

• Fix issue where certain morphs cannot be deleted. They show a blank list of channels instead. This happens with morphs created using Poser's own tools.

• Fix the render tab so that it properly pans the image when dragged. As it stands, it currently flips and stretches the render instead.

• Fix the "Area Render" feature, so that it doesn't include the selection rectangle black lines in the final render. These black lines ruin the final render, defeating the purpose of having area render so we don't have to render the whole thing again.

• Fix issue where hidden morphs will not be included in operations. As it stands, Poser will silently fail to include hidden morphs unless we previously remember to make them visible beforehand. This leads to all sorts of errors when projecting, copying and exporting morphs.

• Fix issue where exporting morph injections from the File -> Export -> Morph Injection will randomly "forget" to include animatable origins data. In addition, this is yet another case where Poser will silently fail to include morphs if they are hidden, which relates to the issue listed above.

• Fix issue where vertexes spike out when adjusting magnet's transforms and zones.

• Fix issue where vertexes spike out when using the Morphing Tool over subdivided surfaces.

• Fix issue where the Bullet engine cannot see objects when parented to a Grouping object.

• Fix issue where Poser creates multiple root nodes when saving figures to library CR2 files.

• Fix issue when painting weight maps with a brush, where occluded vertexes cannot be selected. This happens with the Morphing Tool, the Setup Room, the Bullet engine, and when painting weights on Magnet deformers. This can be easily reproduced when painting weights over strand hair, where vertexes from strands behind others cannot be selected, or deselected if already selected.

My Store at Renderosity

My Store at PoserSoftware

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 25 May 2020 at 6:23 PM

And a really silly legacy bug that's been around since P3/P4 ??

When Poser prompts eg for a missing OBJ or texture, often only the right half of name is shown. Left half is off-field, which must be left-arrowed to show entire name. My guess, a legacy from 8-character file names...

I'd plead for better trash collection so scene objects' textures don't vanish at the end of a lonnng render. I'd settle for 'scale to figure' for FBX import, per OBJ options, plus some way to point Poser at an FBX texture folder. Hand-loading 40~~90 materials with 2~3 textures each is non-trivial.....

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 26 May 2020 at 4:41 PM ยท edited Tue, 26 May 2020 at 4:42 PM

thoennes posted at 5:38PM Tue, 26 May 2020 - #4385051

Anyway, my point was the feature being discussed. Dynamic cloth. Specifically, the very cool new cloth sculpt feature. At least, I think it's cool.

I'm enjoying using Blender (free) to make free things for Poser (not free but I like it anyway :)

I guess people still don't understand that no one can just pick bits out of blender to use as they see fit. Blender is released under GPL, and for Poser to incorporate GPL code it would have to also be released under GPL. Poser can use Cycles because the blender Foundation released Cycles under the Apache license. This is why Poser cannot use eevee, which, as part of blender, is also GPL.

NikKelly ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2020 at 10:41 AM

I'd like a progress bar for OBJ, FBX etc imports, plus some indication that model has exceeded P's bounds. The lack of a 'scale to character' option in FBX import is a real nuisance. This option, as found in OBJ import, would be especially useful when a mesh may import at any scale between 0.25~~3500 %, so much iteration required to get it on-screen...

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2020 at 3:29 PM

moogal posted at 4:26PM Fri, 05 June 2020 - #4390285

thoennes posted at 5:38PM Tue, 26 May 2020 - #4385051

I guess people still don't understand that no one can just pick bits out of blender to use as they see fit. Blender is released under GPL, and for Poser to incorporate GPL code it would have to also be released under GPL. Poser can use Cycles because the blender Foundation released Cycles under the Apache license. This is why Poser cannot use eevee, which, as part of blender, is also GPL.

Poser still has Raytrace View. If it would just make it larger, maybe allow you to substitute it for Preview.

ruscular3d ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2020 at 11:44 AM

I would like to be able to automatically point the download to the secondary drive when using the automatic purchase item file in the library as it is now it override the prefer drive setup when installing poser. It still create a folder in the C drive regardless of your prefer setting. That needs to be fix or have an option to do that.

perpetualrevision ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2020 at 4:07 AM

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but if so, then consider this a "me too" :-)

Make it possible to duplicate a light even after it's been parented to a something in the scene (usually a point or spot light parented to a light-emitting prop). When the light is unpainted, I can use Edit>Duplicate to make a copy of it with no problems. But if the light has been parented, then what happens if I use Edit>Duplicate is that the entire parented item gets duplicated, not just the light. To get another copy of the light only, I have to first un-parent it, then duplicate it, then reparent it. Either that or scratch my head over why there are 12 lamps in roughly the same place in a room ;-)

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.