Mon, Sep 9, 4:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Some of the duct tape comes off

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 4:34 AM

Ironically, my first thought upon seeing Don was, "people at Renderosity are going to compare him to James Marsters".

Staale ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 4:58 AM

Painted in highlights on a P5 model? how P4 can you get! :) Add a map to that highlight and enter a new age of realism. A procedural 'soft noise' map should do the trick until proper highlight maps can be created for the skin.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 5:24 AM

"Finally some P5 renders :) With all respect, they still look like Poser renders. They look better than most P4 work, to a certain extent, but much is done with the great texturing.<" IM with Dave-so, the artists here did great work with the Tools they had but other than the strand hair i see no new level of realism here that has not already been acomplished with poser4 and good texturing this CANT be the new "Firefly raytracer"!!!!! and the tell tale LACK of eyelid thickness in the new figures still screams POSER!!. in fact the hair now almost looks TOO real for the faces like a clever photoshop composite of real hair on a poser render :-) would anyone care to post some RENDERTIMES along with machine specs for a single frame?? us animators are very concerned about kupa's SIX minute render which would translate into a 24 hour long render for an eight second animation and are the new figures MIMIC ready?????? NOT knocking the new prgram just commenting on what ive been shown so far :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

spratman ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 8:56 AM

You bastard! : ) Such a tease... sigh... and the MacOSx version even farther away. Looks great tho' already started saving pennies for the upgrade. Thanx for the peak. Looks like I'll hafta upgrade my computer as well. By the look of these reneders I'd say it was pretty processor intensive.

aleks ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 9:07 AM

ok, here are my 2 liras: pic1: - i sure hope this new posette is still in an alpha stage. her head is too big, mouth (as someone wrote) is very undefined and artificial, nose looks like latoya jackson's (or her brothers, they use only one in turns)... - she has unsmoothed poly edges in her face, and that shoulder looks as if it's been just broken. - hair isn't throwing any shadow on itself or on face. it doesn't bend smoothly, but in sharp edges. firefly feature? i hope not! pic2: - the new dork looks very spike-ish indeed. his neck bends very nice, great improvement to dork & mike. - the nose is way too thin and the supposed eye sockets in the skull are too near, so the eye ridges look funny. - nose isn't throwing any shadow on his face. as a matter of fact his face isn't throwing any shadows at all... firefly feature? i hope not! pic3: - wonderful wet texture by syyd, but... where's poser5? her lower lip looks as if it casts some shadow on the chin, but the nose still casts no shadows at all... firefly feature? i hope not! pic 4: nice feature (anisotropic renders). pic 5: funny. pic 6: now, why not? the light is coming more or less directly from the viewers point, and from this angle she should have lit nostrils (not that i want to see what's there, mind you ;)). if those are real shadows, then they look very funny coz they are diverging from the middle to left and right, as if the light is directly under her nose. but the nose itself (and the rest of the face) casts no shadows. so now i ask myself, what are you trying to show us? that firefly engine, if it's ready, isn't better than the old, p4 renderer. those are nice texture for sure - we know what are syyd and colm capable of - but what about the rest? disappointingly familiar renderer with some unwanted new features is all i see, sorry. where is translucency? displacement maps? procedural textures? let me summerise (sic!): which years' "end of summer" do you plan to release poser 5?

Kiera ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 9:12 AM

I think these renders look great, but it would help to see more renders of textures that don't have, say, wetness painted onto the texture. Colm's beach baby looks great, but I would like to see even Daz's basic maps for Vicky. Remember that two years ago people weren't doing p4 renders like they are now. It took a lot of information sharing, experimenting, and the efforts of a whole community to really push the limits of Poser to get the types of renders we want. I have the utmost confidence that P5 will offer the same depth.

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 9:13 AM

the pics look good, but we'll have to wait till we have poser5 ourselves to see what can be done with it, don't forget these are newbie pics on a brand new program, look at the promo pics that kupa posted a few weeks ago, the controls have changed a hell of a lot & we'll have to learn from scratch again. Rob

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 9:31 AM

Orio..just saw your post..yes, the wet look is a texture by Colm...it is a very nice one...looks great !!! There is an image by Sydd somewhere here on Renderosity that is a backside image---very nice.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 9:32 AM

as stated

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 9:45 AM

Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where you been hiding for the last few years Dave? j/k

Kiera ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:33 AM

file_20036.jpg

I was about to post something about that. Just for fun, here's my first Poser 4 render (that I kept!)

Compare to these "play renders" at RDNA.

I think there's a pretty big difference. If we can do HALF as much tweaking and refining in Poser 5 as we do in Poser 4, we are in for some breathtaking artwork.

wdupre ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:35 AM

file_20037.jpg

Don't make me find some early P4 illustrations, remember posette was the basis for eve. this is a brand new program and will take even expert Poser illustrators like syyd and colm a while to find out all the ins and outs of the new interface. Oh by the way for those not familiar this is James Marsters.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:39 AM

Believe it or not--I have never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer.. I'm an old fart :) that blond in that show-I can't stand...sorry... Actually, I don't watch TV much...CNN, Tech TV, some reality stuff--Big Brother, Survivor, NFL (PACKERS)...and that is just for short spurts...I spend my time on the system, working, or playing outside, probably less than a couple of hours a week on TV.....Computer time--that's a whole different story...its my passion.

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:39 AM

kiera that's not your first render surely? damn and I thought I was getting better :) Rob

wdupre ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:41 AM

for those confused about crossed posts kiera was i believe posting a response to my post above but as she posted i deleated becouse the photo dodn't go through properly and then reposted thast's why her comment procedes mine, woh time warp.;)

Kiera ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:42 AM

That is the first render that I turned into a "finished piece." (Doesn't look so finished now, does it? ;) Texture by Anton, modified by me. Clothes by Nerd. ;) Rendered in 1999 I think.

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:48 AM

I would like to see more than just head shots. I'd like to see a figure set into an environment, and using some of the new render features like ray tracing and lighting. I want to see more of what it can do, not just what the default characters look like. Melanie I have to confess, I didn't know who Spike was, either, I was just too shy to ask. :)

Mosca ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:50 AM

Need I remind everyone that Vicki straight out of the box is ugly as sin? And let's not forget those eyebrows! If the P5f is as morphable as CL says, I'm sure she'll be a fine addition to everyone's toolbox. I am curious to know if the firefly render-thingy was cranked up to 10; what's the highest rez capability for P5, does anyone know?

Entropic ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:50 AM

Heh! Those Nerd mesh clothes were the first free stuff I ver downloaded, like a year ago or so. IRIC, the file sizes are pretty hefty, and I kept getting frustrated on my dial-up. And if any of you folks really found a problem with those renders, just remember, they're significantly better than the thousands of Naked Vicky holding a Sheet over herself renders that we're going to be seeing in the coming months, thanks to our new dynamic cloth feature. :P Paul

Mosca ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:56 AM

Damn, Entropic--you mean other people thought of it, too? That was going to be my first P5 render!

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 10:57 AM

I went back again just now to look at those new P5 images on RDNA, (and probably the 10th time), and have to say, sorry, that I really don't see any difference in those compared to P4 current images...as far as lighting, texturing, and the overall appearance. Perhaps they have a bit more depth if that's the correct term, but I think P4 can do exactly what is shown there with correct lighting placement and maybe a bit of post work, but probably without the post. Again, the new models are way beyond the default models for P4. Please, Colm, Sydd, Traveler--- explain to me and point out what I should be looking for here on these images...maybe I don't have an eye for what the changes are or differences. I'm not sysing this to slam these images or P5...I just really don't see the difference....and I truly want to :)

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 11:00 AM

Sheets---I can't wait :)

Mosca ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 11:02 AM

I don't presume to know what Trav et al intend with these pics, but it seems like they're just meant to give us a quick peek at the m and f figures; something I'm sure a lot of people have been curious about. I'd love to see more; environments, lighting/shadows, full body shots, some sense of how the joints work, etc. But these are a start, for me.

Entropic ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 11:05 AM

Dave-so: In defense of those images, you CANNOT do some of those things in P4, the Strand-based hair for instance. It looks like they didn't apply any of the dynamics to the hair, though, which might have been more impressive. Nor did I see the conforming cloth, true reflection, refraction, etc. Not to mention that the Default P5 models are vastly more flexible than Vicky, with the ability to use pins, putty tools, etc. as well as the Face Room for generating photo-real textures and head morphs from photographs. The fact is, those renders probably took very little time in Poser 5, but in Poser 4 would have taken hours and hours of work, to still not look as good. Paul

Entropic ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 11:08 AM

Besides... am I the only one who noticed they're named after the Lost in Space crew? YIPPEEEEE!!!

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 11:15 AM

I'd love to see some nude full body renders of the new figures in Poser 5. The faces are nice, and the hair will be great after a few of our more expert texturers get a little more time to work on it. More morphs for Posette and the Dork? Better posing control? The face poses are nice, and so much better than Poser 4, but they don't give any idea on posing, just texturing and renders. Of course, it doesn't really matter. I'll still be buying it the first day with an overnight delivery.

WizardOfGauze ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 11:17 AM

I'm not nearly as worried about the character appearance as I am about the program itself. As stated, the characters will evolve. Can we get any info in the new interface? From the shots I've seen, there haven't been any changes other than the additional rooms and dials for the new features. Will we be able to adjust dial labels so they're readable? Any improvement in the magnets? How about camera adjustments? The camera tools look exactly the same as P4. Have there been any lock-ups for the testers? How fast is the renderer? What happens when you try to open a file and the texture is not where it should be? Hmmm... No dual-processor support, no network rendering, no apparant improvements to the interface. Rewritten from the ground up? I don't think so. It's looking more and more like Poser 4 with a few new features. Oh well, I guess it'll still be worth the upgrade price if those Poser 4 problems have been fixed.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 12:02 PM

Thing is with the hair I think it will work pretty well with exhisting hair :) I mean you could most of the normal hair models with soem random flowing hair from P5 and have some great results. Or you could just draw it still :)

igohigh ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 12:14 PM

"You can't even beat it out of us" >well, let's see...if I paste Traveler's face over Voodooie and start placing the pins.........

jtdavies ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 12:22 PM

Entropic- >Besides... am I the only one who noticed they're named after the Lost in Space crew? YIPPEEEEE!!! Look at post 44. Beat ya. John

Spanki ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 1:47 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=220861&Start=1&Artist=Spanki&ByArtist=Yes

Hey Fish, as an aside, you mentioned shadow problems in Poser4... see the attatched link for some partial answers/solutions (Warning: nudity in linked image). Cheers, - Keith

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 2:44 PM

just had a look keith, unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable :) thanks a lot for discovering the answer at last keith :) Rob

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 3:35 PM

Re the horrible names. (Well, Don's OK, I guess) A 'judy' used to be English Cockney slang for a girl, or 'bird' or 'piece of crumpet'. About as near to a 'bimbo' as you can get, I reckon. Now, if THAT doesn't put people off calling her Judy, I don't know what will! mac

jchimim ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 3:45 PM

Well, you never know. Once we see a full body shot, judy (Cokney slang version) may be appropriate. She IS supposed to be "anatomically correct." :)

quixote ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 4:02 PM

Don is just fine with me, dixit Quixote. The name is Don...Don Quixote. Shaken and stirred. Wasn't it Cary Grant who used to say: " Judy. Judy...Judy." Sounds better then Crumpet...Crumpet...Crumpet... I guess. They should have called her Shania or Shaneid...

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

Grey_cat ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 5:00 PM

Jusette and Donk. I suppose the the kids are going to be named Will and Penny.

jjsemp ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 5:11 PM

I think the new P5 man should be named..."Punch."

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 5:34 PM

I'm not overly fond of the name Judy, myself, but there are a lot of famous Judys. Judy Garland, Judy Dench, Judge Judy, just to name a few. When I was in 3rd grade, my best friend was named Judy. I just assumed that those were names Colm gave to his images, not necessarily the names of the Poser characters, but I could be wrong. If they are the names, maybe the staff named them after someone special to them. Who knows? As far as full-body renders, I seem to remember a screen shot of the full body of the new P5 Man back in the original "California Dreaming" thread that Kupa started a few weeks ago. Melanie

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 6:28 PM

file_20038.jpg

Will poser5 have true volumetric Lighting to simulate dust fog and haze??? Like in this Raytraced scene (Pic) and since none of you beta testers seem willing post some rendertimes with machine specs for the strand based hair I can only assume they are VERY LONG.

My website

YouTube Channel

quixote ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 7:22 PM

The full frontal view is nice enough. Shoulders still seem to be problematic. I like the fact that she's not all ribs. Good work. Q

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.