Wed, Sep 18, 11:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 12:29 pm)

Subject: Adding Rigging to DAZ Studio Models

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 12:48 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 9:30 AM

I'm trying to find a tutorial that will teach me how to add rigging to models that I create in Bryce or Hexagon and Import to DAZ Studio. I understand that the models have to have several parts in order to support posable rigging. What I don't know is how to create the "bones" of a model so that when it is posed it will work like the real thing. Example: A castle that has a portico that raises and lowers and a drawbridge that can be raised and lowered. The places where the portico and drawbridge are attached would be confinement zones that allow only the normal operations of those parts. I hope I am making myself clear about this.

I am new to the digital arts community, and I am trying to learn all I can about the software programs that I use. It is my plan to create models that have full rigging, complete material sets, scripting, and any other things neccessary for a great product. Once a product I create is complete, I plan to upload it for sale or for free, depending on the complexity of the model. 

Perhaps some of my fellow DAZ Studio artists can point me in the right direction for learning what I wish to learn. My version of DAZ Studio is 4 Pro. I have all of my plugins except two. As soon as I can acquire those 2, I will do so.

I welcome any and all comments here from any of my fellow DS users. Since there is a Poser library built into DS4 Pro, I welcome comments from the Poser community as well.

Some say they have lived many lifetimes in the past, and will probably life many more in the future.

I say I am living many lifetimes right now!

sekopasa ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 3:28 PM

Try wwwdaz3dcom you tube channel they have nice tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE026B44096BBD507&feature=g-user-a

You can grab the basics. I modeled a cage which i can open close the door move the lock vs. Now I'm trying to rig high heel boots. If any one has some information on "how to rig clothes for a posed figure" it would be most helpful.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thank you for this suggestion. I will certainly try this and see what I can find. If I can learn the basics of rigging, I think the rest will come with a fair amount of practice. I recently checked out the guide PDFs for DAZ Studio 4 and found many of them to be incomplete. Along with the fact that most of them are WIP, and that there are several of them, I have to say that trying to learn what I need from them is a royal pain. It seems that for now I will have to rely on tutorials from third parties for most of my learning.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2012 at 10:49 PM

I will agree that DAZ has a thing or two to learn about tutorials and manuals (or, famously, the lack thereof) so as you pointed out, a lot of the learning is done either first hand or third party. I'd really like to learn how to rig models that were once 3ds max and been converted to OBJ. There's so much cool and free stuff out there that has been converted to OBJ which no longer has a working rig.

Other than scouring the search engines, I've been on the bold side and tried contacting PA's and vendors I really admire who can steer you in the right direction. Or they never write back and thus I forget to purchase content from them for awhile

On my other computer, I've got tons and tons of tuts on rigging, so when I get it booted up, I'll spank in some links.

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx

superboomturbo ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 1:15 AM · edited Sat, 16 June 2012 at 1:15 AM

I finally remembered where I'd seen some resources. Amazon has a lot of great books, as usual. There's also some leads on Ballistic Publishing for more direct books, but you have to do some serious google-fu.

Online, I found these. The models start out simple but the process is the same.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?print=2483

This one is a vid for blender, a program I have and sadly have never taken the time to learn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gez5FmFjd8Q&context=C48af355ADvjVQa1PpcFPe9pi3MKz9l1wiHnh0V6tbpxSQKXsHkDw=

Found by googling/yahoo-ing 'Rigging for Poser'

mbin ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 9:26 AM

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/utilities-resources/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro/

Although you say you are creating outside of Daz, the above item is supposed to be good... I must admit to not have looked at it, but there was an entry on the old daz forum about it a while ago...

MyDeviantArtGallery

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 3:46 PM

Quote - I will agree that DAZ has a thing or two to learn about tutorials and manuals (or, famously, the lack thereof) so as you pointed out, a lot of the learning is done either first hand or third party. I'd really like to learn how to rig models that were once 3ds max and been converted to OBJ. There's so much cool and free stuff out there that has been converted to OBJ which no longer has a working rig.

Other than scouring the search engines, I've been on the bold side and tried contacting PA's and vendors I really admire who can steer you in the right direction. Or they never write back and thus I forget to purchase content from them for awhile

On my other computer, I've got tons and tons of tuts on rigging, so when I get it booted up, I'll spank in some links.

That would be great. I can't wait to see them.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 4:00 PM

Quote - http://www.daz3d.com/shop/utilities-resources/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro/

Although you say you are creating outside of Daz, the above item is supposed to be good... I must admit to not have looked at it, but there was an entry on the old daz forum about it a while ago...

Thanks for the link. Maybe I can find something useful there.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 4:16 PM

Quote - Try wwwdaz3dcom you tube channel they have nice tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE026B44096BBD507&feature=g-user-a

You can grab the basics. I modeled a cage which i can open close the door move the lock vs. Now I'm trying to rig high heel boots. If any one has some information on "how to rig clothes for a posed figure" it would be most helpful.

I looked in on the videos you directed me to. All of them are tutorials I have already seen. I went ahead and downloaded them so that I could use them to walk me through the process. Even so, they are a bit confusing as the tutor is using a beta version of DAZ Studio 4. His layout is way different than mine. Perhaps in time I will  have a similar layout, but for now I'm still tr4ying to get used to the layout I have set for myself. He has so many tools all around his scene window, and his side tabs are more numerous and in different places than mine. It's distracting to say the least. All I want is simple step by step instructions; written with illustrated examples would be preferable to video versions. I have a PDF for Bryce 7 that has taught me far more than any video tutorial. I need something like that for DAZ Studio 4.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 6:15 PM

My last idea was for a fellow by the handle of PhilC on shareCG. He's made some great stuff in/for Daz and supposedly has tuts there as well., rigging and modeling. I haven't been to check it just yet, but if it's bs, my apologies up front

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 8:46 AM

Quote - My last idea was for a fellow by the handle of PhilC on shareCG. He's made some great stuff in/for Daz and supposedly has tuts there as well., rigging and modeling. I haven't been to check it just yet, but if it's bs, my apologies up front

I'll go check it out ASAP. I'll let you know what I find. I'm sure there others of us new users out there who want this kind of information. As soon as I find it I'll be sure to post its whereabouts here so others can find it as well.

Thanks for this.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quote - > Quote - My last idea was for a fellow by the handle of PhilC on shareCG. He's made some great stuff in/for Daz and supposedly has tuts there as well., rigging and modeling. I haven't been to check it just yet, but if it's bs, my apologies up front

I'll go check it out ASAP. I'll let you know what I find. I'm sure there others of us new users out there who want this kind of information. As soon as I find it I'll be sure to post its whereabouts here so others can find it as well.

Thanks for this.

I went to ShareCG and on the Tutorials start page I put in a search for PhilC. No results were found. Even so, I did find a few PDF files dealing with rigging in DAZ Studio 3 and 4. I downloaded them and in a few minutes I plan to open them and see how comprehensive they are. If they are what I am looking for, A BIG HURRAY! If not, my search will continue. Either way, I'll let you all know what the verdict is.

(Yep! These PDFs are about to be on trial; and I'm the Judge, Jury, Prosecutor, and Executioner!) ;)

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - My last idea was for a fellow by the handle of PhilC on shareCG. He's made some great stuff in/for Daz and supposedly has tuts there as well., rigging and modeling. I haven't been to check it just yet, but if it's bs, my apologies up front

Thanks for this.

I went to ShareCG and on the Tutorials start page I put in a search for PhilC. No results were found. Even so, I did find a few PDF files dealing with rigging in DAZ Studio 3 and 4. I downloaded them and in a few minutes I plan to open them and see how comprehensive they are. If they are what I am looking for, A BIG HURRAY! If not, my search will continue. Either way, I'll let you all know what the verdict is.

(Yep! These PDFs are about to be on trial; and I'm the Judge, Jury, Prosecutor, and Executioner!) ;)

The verdict is in. While I'm sure many of you will be able to follow these PDF Tutorials from Catherine3678a, I have to say that using texting lingo in such a document is presumptive at best. This person uses acronyms to convey certain things in the document; and as someone who does not understand texting language, I am at a loss for what she is talking about. Okay, so some of you out there are probably thinking I should learn the lingo. Well that's not going to happen. I have no desire to learn a language that is at best vague in its meanings. A string of letters that do not make a word in most cases could represent more than one thing, and knowing which is meant is something I do not care to contemplate.

Yes, the PDFs are free, but when you make a document that is meant to teach something, whether it is free or for sale, it needs to be in a language that can be understood by all who wish to learn from it. I speak and uderstand the English language quite well, and when I look for a teaching document to learn from, I look for it in English. So when I find one, and it has things in it that are clearly not English as it is meant to be, (such as texting lingo), I am likely to trash it, since it is utterly useless to me. Such documents need to be understandable to all who speak the main language therein. This is professionalism, which should be practiced by those who make such documents. When I look for a document to teach me something, I want it to be done professionally. I don't want to have to go looking for another one to teach me how to understand the language in the first one.

So as I have already indicated, I am passing judgement upon these PDF documents, and the verdict is:

Guilty of Unprofessionalism!

Sentence:

To the Waste Bin and then EMPTY IT OUT!

Sorry folks for that rant. As it is for now, my search continues.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 3:43 PM · edited Sun, 17 June 2012 at 3:44 PM

I'm with you on the decimation of the language. I'm a writer and I like to spell everything out, even if I text!

I keep telling people, eventually only the writers and the readers will be able to read and write! Talk about a reverse evolution...

Thanks for a heads up on your findings, too!

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 4:42 PM

I too am a writer, and it makes me sick to look around and see how badly our country is educating its children. In my days in school we had to learn proper English. These days we are lucky if a young adult can spell. I fear that the language is going down the tubes.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2012 at 2:30 PM

Hey Agent 0013, good news (I hope). An artist I've bought content from at Daz named smay just put up a tut on bones, rigging, etc. I haven't looked at it just yet as I just verified it is the same fellow.

Take a peek, see what you think. I'm headed there too!

http://smay3d.com/forum/index.php?topic=71.msg852#msg852 

And the thread it was from:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2851522&page=1#message_3945926

bbost ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2012 at 4:09 PM

Blondie's DAZSTUDIO rigging tutorial is thorough and useful. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/utilities-resources/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro/

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2012 at 9:06 AM

Quote - Hey Agent 0013, good news (I hope). An artist I've bought content from at Daz named smay just put up a tut on bones, rigging, etc. I haven't looked at it just yet as I just verified it is the same fellow.

Take a peek, see what you think. I'm headed there too!

http://smay3d.com/forum/index.php?topic=71.msg852#msg852 

And the thread it was from:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2851522&page=1#message_3945926

Thanks for this. I'll check it ASAP.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2012 at 9:07 AM

Quote - Blondie's DAZSTUDIO rigging tutorial is thorough and useful. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/utilities-resources/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro/

I'll take a look.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2012 at 9:09 AM

I think with all the response I'm getting here I'll soon find what I'm after! You guys are the greatest!

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2012 at 11:34 AM

Update: I checked out the video done by smay. It is done in Russian, and when I had it translated to English there was no sound. In order to understand what is happening, I would have to use the start and stop method. Also, I am unable to download the video file from that site.

I also checked in on the link to Blondie's DAZSTUDIO rigging tutorial. It has a cost I am unable to pay, but it seems that it is probably the best of the rigging tutorials, judging from the review comments. When I have enough cash on hand to get it, I plan to do so, even if I already have learn a few things about the process. From what I understand, this tutorial leaves nothing out, keeps it clear and consise, walks you through the process step by step, and is easy for even beginners to understand. On top of all of that is the fact that it is a PDF file, which is exactly what I am looking for.

Still if there are any other tutorials you can find for me to check out, I will appreciate those links as well.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2012 at 3:40 AM

Quote - Update: I checked out the video done by smay. It is done in Russian, and when I had it translated to English there was no sound. In order to understand what is happening, I would have to use the start and stop method. Also, I am unable to download the video file from that site.

I also checked in on the link to Blondie's DAZSTUDIO rigging tutorial. It has a cost I am unable to pay, but it seems that it is probably the best of the rigging tutorials, judging from the review comments. When I have enough cash on hand to get it, I plan to do so, even if I already have learn a few things about the process. From what I understand, this tutorial leaves nothing out, keeps it clear and consise, walks you through the process step by step, and is easy for even beginners to understand. On top of all of that is the fact that it is a PDF file, which is exactly what I am looking for.

Still if there are any other tutorials you can find for me to check out, I will appreciate those links as well.

I hear from a lot of people who reccomend Blondie's deal at Daz. Sorry about the smay vid. If I ever get around to rigging, I'll be sure to document my learning trials and tribulations!

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2012 at 10:29 AM

From what I have seen in tutorials and other publications, rigging a new product is a fairly complex task. Even so, once someone has learned how to do it, the products that can be created with rigging included are among the best in quality. This alone makes it well worth the effort to learn the process. If I can learn to do this, I will be creating products for sale to be used in DAZ Studio.

Although the new Transfer Utility tool is a great improvement in DAZ Studio, as I understand it, the tool only works to tranfer rigging from a figure to something made to use with that figure or other figures that share similar rigging features. Example: A skirt made for V3 is needing to be rigged to conform to the rigging of V3. Using the Transfer Utility tool, you can transfer the relevant rigging of V3 to the skirt so that when she is posed the skirt follows her pose. Because there are other character bases that share this rigging, you can make the newly rigged skirt a stand alone item within the DAZ Studio Content Library so the the other character bases can wear the skirt too. I'm not sure if that is really how it works; but from what I have gathered so far, it certainly seems that way. I plan to try my hand with this soon as I am in need of clothing content for M4, which is scarce at this time.

The thing I really want to learn is how to rig an independent model, such as a car or a boat, or maybe even a nonhuman alien creature. I would also like to update the rigging for models that already exist, so that they can be more realistically posed. I know that I already have the latest tools for doing this; but I need instruction on how to use them. The more comprehensive and simple the instruction is, the better.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2012 at 3:51 PM

The transfer utility is for weight-mapped figures only, it doesn't work for older figures like V3 (unless you convert them to weight-mapped figures first). You can do a similar thing, though, by copying the base figure into the Figure Setup pane, then importing the grouped OBJ into the pane's Geometry panel and dragging it onto the figure's hierarchy. Get rid of superfluous bones (and remove the geometry from any you need but that don't belong to the clothes - typically you will want to keep the bone after the last bone with mesh, so the nad bones if the outfit's sleeves stop at the forearms), then make sure Modify selected is ticked before clicking the Create button. Creating from scratch is similar - it's probably going to be easier to do using the old style parametric rigging for the items you list, since there's no actual bending in most of them. You need a group for each part, the whole saved as OBJ. In the Figure Setup pane, right click in the Geometry panel and import your mesh. Drag it into the hierarchy panel, then use drag and drop to set the relationship between parts. Right-click on the Rotation ordrs to change them - you want the axis a thing should twist about first, then the other two (with the one that's going to bend most last). Once done, click Create. Select all the parts of the new figure and in the Parameters pane turn off the Bend parameter (click the button "Bend" to turn it off, not the slider for Bend). The use the Joint Editor tool to position the bone centres and end points.

alanscape ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2012 at 10:15 AM

Cliff Bowman had a very useful thread in the old DAZ forums on rigging skeletons for figures, wherein he documented his process as he worked through examples. And made instructive use of any errors or glitches that he encountered along the way.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=98085

There are two immediately apparent problems for your use, however.  Firstly, it's stuck in "forumarchive" limbo, so the embedded images don't work-- requiring fiddling their URLs by hand, one by one, to see them in any form. And obvously images are important for this kind of tutorial. Secondly, it covers DS3 and its Figure Setup Tools addon, so there's probably not an exact match to how DS4 and its Content Creator Toolkit look and behave.

Still, it allowed me to construct a rigged clothing item from my own object file on my first try, a year and a half ago or so. Eminently practical.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2012 at 2:48 PM

Quote - The transfer utility is for weight-mapped figures only, it doesn't work for older figures like V3 (unless you convert them to weight-mapped figures first). You can do a similar thing, though, by copying the base figure into the Figure Setup pane, then importing the grouped OBJ into the pane's Geometry panel and dragging it onto the figure's hierarchy. Get rid of superfluous bones (and remove the geometry from any you need but that don't belong to the clothes - typically you will want to keep the bone after the last bone with mesh, so the nad bones if the outfit's sleeves stop at the forearms), then make sure Modify selected is ticked before clicking the Create button. Creating from scratch is similar - it's probably going to be easier to do using the old style parametric rigging for the items you list, since there's no actual bending in most of them. You need a group for each part, the whole saved as OBJ. In the Figure Setup pane, right click in the Geometry panel and import your mesh. Drag it into the hierarchy panel, then use drag and drop to set the relationship between parts. Right-click on the Rotation ordrs to change them - you want the axis a thing should twist about first, then the other two (with the one that's going to bend most last). Once done, click Create. Select all the parts of the new figure and in the Parameters pane turn off the Bend parameter (click the button "Bend" to turn it off, not the slider for Bend). The use the Joint Editor tool to position the bone centres and end points.

This is helpful information, and I thank you; however, at the risk of sounding a little dumb, I have no idea how to get into the setup pane or  the geometry panel. Yes, I have explored my copy of DAZ Studio 4 Pro but I am still in the dark about many of its features.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2012 at 2:52 PM

Quote - Cliff Bowman had a very useful thread in the old DAZ forums on rigging skeletons for figures, wherein he documented his process as he worked through examples. And made instructive use of any errors or glitches that he encountered along the way.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=98085

There are two immediately apparent problems for your use, however.  Firstly, it's stuck in "forumarchive" limbo, so the embedded images don't work-- requiring fiddling their URLs by hand, one by one, to see them in any form. And obvously images are important for this kind of tutorial. Secondly, it covers DS3 and its Figure Setup Tools addon, so there's probably not an exact match to how DS4 and its Content Creator Toolkit look and behave.

Still, it allowed me to construct a rigged clothing item from my own object file on my first try, a year and a half ago or so. Eminently practical.

As you have indicated the difficulties of access to this tutorial, I think it would probably be more trouble than it is worth unless it can somehow be rescued from said archives. If so, I will be happy to give it a look see.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2012 at 9:31 AM

Window>Panes(Tabs)>Figure Setup then in the Figure Setup pane when it opens, right-click in the area labelled Geometry List and from the menu select Add Geometry... to import the OBJ file you want to use.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2012 at 7:20 AM

Quote - Window>Panes(Tabs)>Figure Setup then in the Figure Setup pane when it opens, right-click in the area labelled Geometry List and from the menu select Add Geometry... to import the OBJ file you want to use.

I know the model I wish to work with must be in .obj format. The models I plan to use will be from either Bryce 7 pro, Hexagon 2.5 Pro, or Blender 2.6. Is it neccessary to convert the .obp from Bryce to wavefront .obj, or does the bridge from Bryce 7 to DAZ Studio make the file change to the correct format? If not, How can I change the file to the correct format within DAZ Studio?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2012 at 9:26 AM

Bryce should let you export as OBJ. If it won't, I doubt the bridge will do a better job. That won't group the mesh, however, and although that isn't essential for TriAx figures I would advise getting some kind of modeller and doing it - and also assigning material zones, or at least renaming them if Bryce exports the divisions you want.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2012 at 8:42 AM

Quote - Bryce should let you export as OBJ. If it won't, I doubt the bridge will do a better job. That won't group the mesh, however, and although that isn't essential for TriAx figures I would advise getting some kind of modeller and doing it - and also assigning material zones, or at least renaming them if Bryce exports the divisions you want.

I have exported from Bryce to DAZ Studio using the bridge. the problem has been that it only exports well for simple groups, and they are no longer grouped in DAZ Studio. Also, when I tried to import several groups one at a time into DAZ Studio from Bryce, they would then need assembling, and I'm still not familiar with the way to keep everything together when I tranlate it within the scene. Sometimes when I am using the bridge either to or from both programs, they will crash. So I think saving my model in Wavefront.obj format would be the best option; then import the file directly into DAZ Studio from the folder I saved it to.

There's another problem that relates to this. It is the way the content library is set up. I've read that a model does not have to be in the content library until you are ready to put it there, but that kind of thing is way over my head for now. Perhaps when I have a lot more experience with DAZ Studio I'll know all of this stuff.

It would be great if the guide was complete and available now for DAZ Studio.

boudicca36 ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2012 at 8:55 PM · edited Wed, 11 July 2012 at 9:05 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - My last idea was for a fellow by the handle of PhilC on shareCG. He's made some great stuff in/for Daz and supposedly has tuts there as well., rigging and modeling. I haven't been to check it just yet, but if it's bs, my apologies up front

Thanks for this.

The verdict is in. While I'm sure many of you will be able to follow these PDF Tutorials from Catherine3678a, I have to say that using texting lingo in such a document is presumptive at best. This person uses acronyms to convey certain things in the document; and as someone who does not understand texting language, I am at a loss for what she is talking about. Okay, so some of you out there are probably thinking I should learn the lingo. Well that's not going to happen. I have no desire to learn a language that is at best vague in its meanings. A string of letters that do not make a word in most cases could represent more than one thing, and knowing which is meant is something I do not care to contemplate.

Yes, the PDFs are free, but when you make a document that is meant to teach something, whether it is free or for sale, it needs to be in a language that can be understood by all who wish to learn from it. I speak and uderstand the English language quite well, and when I look for a teaching document to learn from, I look for it in English. So when I find one, and it has things in it that are clearly not English as it is meant to be, (such as texting lingo), I am likely to trash it, since it is utterly useless to me. Such documents need to be understandable to all who speak the main language therein. This is professionalism, which should be practiced by those who make such documents. When I look for a document to teach me something, I want it to be done professionally. I don't want to have to go looking for another one to teach me how to understand the language in the first one.

So as I have already indicated, I am passing judgement upon these PDF documents, and the verdict is:

Sentence:

Well for somebody who doesn't know how to do what he wants to do ... you have a funny way of saying thank you for the available help. In case you hadn't noticed, there really isn't a lot of material available. There should be, but there isn't. What is available wasn't necessarily created in the English language, which is a language containing words not spelt the same in all countries.

Not everybody wants to read 1,000 pages of text with no images ... and many people have a learning disorder called dyslexia hence my use of text on images; on a slightly coloured background. I also have a number of readers foreign to the English language and the ones who have contacted me have had no issues comprehending the instructions.

I have yet to have anybody write and ask me "what did I mean by" ... surely if you had a question, all you had to do was ask. [I don't suggest you do now.]

One understands tutorials by 'doing' ... not just reading. The "1" "2" "3"s for eg. are the "steps" in order ;-)

I'm sure the world of 3d artists looks forward to your free tutorials which had better be perfect after that rant. I will mention that you will discover it takes longer to actually put together the tutorial than it does to create the item one is talking about.

If you want to learn; I suggest you learn the lingo ... I'm not making words up you know. Oh, except for "CheckerT" ... my reference is to the Checker patterned page indicating one has placed the uvmap on an object. That was explained in a few of the tutorials.

Your accusation is in itself, "unprofessional" ... you should have noted that I also made it quite clear that I was not writing any of my tutorials 'for professionals'. I'm a hobbyist who wrote some tutorials to help fellow hobbyists learn how to use some of these wonderful programs we have acquired. If you wish professionalism, I suggest you pay the bucks and buy the available tutorials. Read through the Daz3d forum ... and find the correction made for one of them by its author too.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2012 at 11:47 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - My last idea was for a fellow by the handle of PhilC on shareCG. He's made some great stuff in/for Daz and supposedly has tuts there as well., rigging and modeling. I haven't been to check it just yet, but if it's bs, my apologies up front

Thanks for this.

Sentence:

Well for somebody who doesn't know how to do what he wants to do ... you have a funny way of saying thank you for the available help. In case you hadn't noticed, there really isn't a lot of material available. There should be, but there isn't. What is available wasn't necessarily created in the English language, which is a language containing words not spelt the same in all countries.

Not everybody wants to read 1,000 pages of text with no images ... and many people have a learning disorder called dyslexia hence my use of text on images; on a slightly coloured background. I also have a number of readers foreign to the English language and the ones who have contacted me have had no issues comprehending the instructions.

I have yet to have anybody write and ask me "what did I mean by" ... surely if you had a question, all you had to do was ask. [I don't suggest you do now.]

One understands tutorials by 'doing' ... not just reading. The "1" "2" "3"s for eg. are the "steps" in order ;-)

I'm sure the world of 3d artists looks forward to your free tutorials which had better be perfect after that rant. I will mention that you will discover it takes longer to actually put together the tutorial than it does to create the item one is talking about.

If you want to learn; I suggest you learn the lingo ... I'm not making words up you know. Oh, except for "CheckerT" ... my reference is to the Checker patterned page indicating one has placed the uvmap on an object. That was explained in a few of the tutorials.

Your accusation is in itself, "unprofessional" ... you should have noted that I also made it quite clear that I was not writing any of my tutorials 'for professionals'. I'm a hobbyist who wrote some tutorials to help fellow hobbyists learn how to use some of these wonderful programs we have acquired. If you wish professionalism, I suggest you pay the bucks and buy the available tutorials. Read through the Daz3d forum ... and find the correction made for one of them by its author too.

I have never claimed to be a professional in the field of digital art. As for learning the lingo as you put it, I am doing precisely that; however, that take quite a bit of time as there is a lot to learn. I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but you must understand that I am new to the digital arts, less than a year.

I agree that one learns by doing, and not just reading. That is exactly how I learn. That being said, if a small detail is left out of a tutorial, it can throw me off. I find myself backing up to see if I missed something. Much of the time it is not that I missed it; rather that it is missing altogether from the tutorial. I also look for tutorials I can understand at my present level. You have to start somewhere, and as a beginner I prefer to start with simple and work my way up to the more complex.

As for the rant, it is more for personal preference than for telling others how they should make there tutorials. I'm sure that there are many of us who can understand the lingo, but there are those of use who would appreciate explanations of the meaning of certain terms. When I referred to the texting lingo, what I meant was that it appears to be text because from what I saw, it was a series of letters strung together to mean whole phrases. Perhaps it was not, but that's the way it looked to me.

Please understand that I am not trying to offend or make an enemy of you or anyone else. I am only trying to find information that I can understand. 

As it stands for now, the PDF files I downloaded from DAZ 3D that are meant to be the official guide for DAZ Studio 4 Pro are WIPs, and many are woefully incomplete. This is software that was being offered for sale at a high price, (well worth the price for what can be achieved with it); but the lack of completed instructional material makes learning how to use the deep features almost impossible, unless you have had a lot of experience with the earlier versions. I know there are some major differences in the latest version. Even so, the only versions I have done anything with are all version of D/S 4.

As for my rant about unprofessionalism, go to YouTube and see for yourself what I am talking about. Also look at the PDF and other written documents that are available all over the web for all kinds of things. In many cases it is like the English language has been abandoned for slang or text language. Now I can understand certain slang terms, but text language is not something I understand or even wish to learn. So if someone is suggesting that I do so in order to understand certain tutorials..., Well it's not going to happen. I'll just find something I can understand without having to learn something that vague in meaning. That is my opinion of text language and I'm not trying to force it on others.

As for tutorials I am making, I am working on one at present. I do agree that it is a lot of work to get it right. I'm trying to keep it simple and to the point without putting in a lot of unnecessary filler. So far, I'm not satisfied with it. I want it to be something that even the newest user can comprehend. I try to put myself in the shoes of the person who wishes to learn what the tutorial is teaching. If it is something I would be able to follow (assuming I need to learn it), then I will upload it to the proper pages of Renderosity, and perhaps certain other websites that deal in Digital Art. I plan to test it out on a friend I know who is new in the field like me.

At any rate, please don't take my rant as an offense. Perhaps it was unprofessional of me to say what I did about your tutorial, but you should note that I did say that many of our fellow artists would probably understand it. It is more me than it is the tutorial. I comprehend things in a radically different way than most people. It's a quirk I have had all my life. Not that there is anything wrong with me, but I do think about things in odd ways. I try to keep thing literal instead of representational. 

boudicca36 ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2012 at 10:17 AM

Quote - > Quote - .... edit ...

I have never claimed to be a professional in the field of digital art. As for learning the lingo as you put it, I am doing precisely that; however, that take quite a bit of time as there is a lot to learn. I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but you must understand that I am new to the digital arts, less than a year.

Hardly qualified then to be all you positioned yourself for IMHO.

You may note that most of the freely available tuts were created by 'beginners' as we tend to make them for ourselves to remember the way ... why is because there's not much out there. When I started trying to figure out these tools, there was next to nothing. A couple of vids on youtube and a couple of those who knew how; were helpful. Out of the hundreds or thousands that use these programs! It took me a long time to work out a few of those 'missing details' as you put it ... being half blind didn't help but you know ... figured if I could put together a few tutorials and save others a few months of work ... time usually meaning money to folk ... that would be nice. I'm temperamental ... nearly took down all my tuts because of your rant. But no I thought, I do have friends ... you are quite welcome to totally ignore any further tutorials I put up because they are not for you. I'm not changing how I do things.

As to my missing details ... as I make the items for the tutorials; I do cover all the steps for what I'm covering in the tutorial. Some of them are in parts ... I do assume people know to read part 1 before moving onto part 2. I do not try to repeat 'everything' in 'every' tutorial because that shouldn't be necessary.

Quote - ... edit ... Much of the time it is not that I missed it; rather that it is missing altogether from the tutorial.

Hardly a reason to be so negative about them all from everybody. Good golly. Most people are 'doing the work' while 'making the tut' ... my observation has been that where people have missed what happened; they have taken a step out of place. There is some order in the chaos of 3d.

Quote - As for the rant, it is more for personal preference than for telling others how they should make there tutorials. I'm sure that there are many of us who can understand the lingo, but there are those of use who would appreciate explanations of the meaning of certain terms. When I referred to the texting lingo, what I meant was that it appears to be text because from what I saw, it was a series of letters strung together to mean whole phrases. Perhaps it was not, but that's the way it looked to me.

I do not nor do I ever plan to "text messages" on phones and all that ...

If this is what you're referring to ...

It simply means ...

Step 1 ...

do it

Step 2 ....

do it

Step 3 ....

do it

Okay.

Quote - Please understand that I am not trying to offend or make an enemy of you or anyone else. I am only trying to find information that I can understand. 

As it stands for now, the PDF files I downloaded from DAZ 3D that are meant to be the official guide for DAZ Studio 4 Pro are WIPs, and many are woefully incomplete.

Yes ... programmers and people that write instructions are not necessarily the same people. And then to write so that most people understand what is being said is another ballgame. For those WIPs some of us in the old forum were invited to and trying to help with their creation. I've given up on the new forum and store ... they really need to have posts bumping threads. So I came over here to see what's happening and discovered your delightful post, not.

Quote - ... edit ... At any rate, please don't take my rant as an offense. Perhaps it was unprofessional of me to say what I did about your tutorial, but you should note that I did say that many of our fellow artists would probably understand it. It is more me than it is the tutorial. I comprehend things in a radically different way than most people. It's a quirk I have had all my life. Not that there is anything wrong with me, but I do think about things in odd ways. I try to keep thing literal instead of representational. 

Being literal has its place certainly. However when applied where it shouldn't be, like for some of those interpretations of the Book of Revelations; it makes no sense.

If I wrote a tutorial using the fullness of the English language which I'm quite adept at ... I rather doubt you or many others would comprehend much of it ... although I muse at times maybe somebody would pay me NOT to write tutorials lol ...

Bye.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2012 at 7:19 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - .... edit ...

Hardly qualified then to be all you positioned yourself for IMHO.

You may note that most of the freely available tuts were created by 'beginners' as we tend to make them for ourselves to remember the way ... why is because there's not much out there. When I started trying to figure out these tools, there was next to nothing. A couple of vids on youtube and a couple of those who knew how; were helpful. Out of the hundreds or thousands that use these programs! It took me a long time to work out a few of those 'missing details' as you put it ... being half blind didn't help but you know ... figured if I could put together a few tutorials and save others a few months of work ... time usually meaning money to folk ... that would be nice. I'm temperamental ... nearly took down all my tuts because of your rant. But no I thought, I do have friends ... you are quite welcome to totally ignore any further tutorials I put up because they are not for you. I'm not changing how I do things.

As to my missing details ... as I make the items for the tutorials; I do cover all the steps for what I'm covering in the tutorial. Some of them are in parts ... I do assume people know to read part 1 before moving onto part 2. I do not try to repeat 'everything' in 'every' tutorial because that shouldn't be necessary.

Quote - ... edit ... Much of the time it is not that I missed it; rather that it is missing altogether from the tutorial.

Hardly a reason to be so negative about them all from everybody. Good golly. Most people are 'doing the work' while 'making the tut' ... my observation has been that where people have missed what happened; they have taken a step out of place. There is some order in the chaos of 3d.

Quote - As for the rant, it is more for personal preference than for telling others how they should make there tutorials. I'm sure that there are many of us who can understand the lingo, but there are those of use who would appreciate explanations of the meaning of certain terms. When I referred to the texting lingo, what I meant was that it appears to be text because from what I saw, it was a series of letters strung together to mean whole phrases. Perhaps it was not, but that's the way it looked to me.

I do not nor do I ever plan to "text messages" on phones and all that ...

If this is what you're referring to ...

It simply means ...

Step 1 ...

do it

Step 2 ....

do it

Step 3 ....

do it

Okay.

Quote - Please understand that I am not trying to offend or make an enemy of you or anyone else. I am only trying to find information that I can understand. 

As it stands for now, the PDF files I downloaded from DAZ 3D that are meant to be the official guide for DAZ Studio 4 Pro are WIPs, and many are woefully incomplete.

Yes ... programmers and people that write instructions are not necessarily the same people. And then to write so that most people understand what is being said is another ballgame. For those WIPs some of us in the old forum were invited to and trying to help with their creation. I've given up on the new forum and store ... they really need to have posts bumping threads. So I came over here to see what's happening and discovered your delightful post, not.

Quote - ... edit ... At any rate, please don't take my rant as an offense. Perhaps it was unprofessional of me to say what I did about your tutorial, but you should note that I did say that many of our fellow artists would probably understand it. It is more me than it is the tutorial. I comprehend things in a radically different way than most people. It's a quirk I have had all my life. Not that there is anything wrong with me, but I do think about things in odd ways. I try to keep thing literal instead of representational. 

Being literal has its place certainly. However when applied where it shouldn't be, like for some of those interpretations of the Book of Revelations; it makes no sense.

If I wrote a tutorial using the fullness of the English language which I'm quite adept at ... I rather doubt you or many others would comprehend much of it ... although I muse at times maybe somebody would pay me NOT to write tutorials lol ...

Bye.

Don't count me out on the fullness of the English language. I am quite adept with it myself. I know there are a few mistakes in my messages, however they are just typing errors that I did not catch in my proofreading.

I seem to recall a word processing application that was associated with the Renderosity forum pages. Although I normally do not need it, it can be useful when you are pressed for time. Also, I am not proficient in typing. I use the search and punch method, so I am pretty slow as far as typing is concerned.

Even so, and I don't mean this as an affront to you, I will continue my search for other tutorials on this subject. And if you insist, I'll take another look at yours. It has been suggested that I purchase the professional tutorial that is sold at DAZ 3D. Unfortunately, funds are scarce at this time; but as soon as I can do so I will purchase it. 

You do not have to reply to this unless you actually want to. In any case, thank you for caring to contact me to straighten me out. I sometimes need it, and I am not offended when I am criticized in the way you have done. I respect you for that, as you have been quite the proper lady, handling it in a civil manner.

durf ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2012 at 6:22 AM

why learn rigging in bryce? or modeling in hex..

use blender, it's free and 1000 of tutorials online that explain rigging.

or download the free student version of max or maya and watch digitaltutors online.

don't waste your time with learning death and outdated programs.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2012 at 1:48 PM

I have Blender and yes its a great program, but DAZ Studio has things that blender does not. The products I wish to create would be for DAZ Studio, which is why I wish to learn how to do rigging for it. For modelling purposes, Blender is an excellent application. But I have not found a way to rig a model in that program. If there is one, perhaps you can provide a link to a tutorial that covers how to do that?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.