Sun, Oct 6, 6:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Daz and Runtime Merging ? !!!!

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 10:55 AM

I sort of figure Daz assessed its own marketplace offerings and said, "Holy cripes! We need more steampunk, goth, and tribal tattoos or we're finished! Finished!!"

No, I kid. (Please don't delete or ban me, Rosity forum masters. Cage is nice. Good Cage.) I have high regard for Traveler, from the old days. I hope the RDNA folks come out of this well.

What can a community do to preserve the knowledge collected over several years, when one of its hub sites seems likely to disappear before too long? That's what I'm really wondering. There's a lot of important stuff at RDNA, especially in the Node Cult forum. :(

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

jjroland ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 10:58 AM

Looks like the 'render' sites just got more dedicated business from me. I do not shop at Daz anymore especially since the v6 nonsense. I'm not a fan of monopolies at all so I really do hope this site doesn't allow itself to be bought up as well.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:28 AM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:30 AM

toastie posted at 12:22PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257148

Um. I just went over to RDNA and the site is..... not what it was earlier! O_O

I had a vague idea about downloading all my purchases from there because I'm sure there is some stuff I've lost in various computer moves. But it would probably take a couple of days on my connection and I'm not sure how to find it now anyway!

Ah - I just discovered it's trying to force me into the mobile version for some reason. Which is blue. And looks nothing like RDNA.

Due to the no Linking Policy here:

Into your Browser's address bar type 'www.runtimedna.com'

then after this type '/downloads.php' then hit return

You will be prompted to login if you aren't already. Zip file links will be on the right; do a right-dlick>Save As to rename them to something understandable by Humans if needed... 😜

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:39 AM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:47 AM

I, like some others, have invested too much in Poser to try and start all over again. I have gained a lot over the last ten years and although V4 is no longer my go to figure I am not about to dump Poser, which makes this move all the more important. What will happen to the support, limited I accept, to the figures that do not originate from Daz?

I understand that, but maybe some of the blame falls on SM as well i think. Each time they release a new version of Poser, they have the opportunity to do so with new figures and they do. But at least to me, they don't really seem to put in the required effort of making some that are able to compete with what is currently on the market. If they know that Daz3d is going to make it more and more difficult for their figures to work with Poser, then they should release there own. They did release Paul and Pauline for Poser 11, but to be honest they are not really a competition to the current characters available and they keep releasing the same old figures each release.

Content matters for users and I personally used to be very excited whenever they released a new Poser version, to see these new figures, but it have not really kept up with what customers expect when seeing the new content i think, as if they are not really up to date with what content have already been available for a long time. As discussed with other people at RDNA, it can't really be that difficult to find or hire a good 3d modeller to make a couple of good characters, instead of releasing some semi bugged ones that are not really attractive to the majority. At least i think it would have a huge impact on Poser users. if people that used it, didn't really care for the genesis figures due to them being so difficult to use and simply used those that SM delivered instead. I really have had no good experience with the Genesis figures in Poser and think a lot of other users as well would also prefer being able to bypass them, but it requires that alternative figures exist and I think SM could easily combat Daz3d by doing that, instead of constantly having to play by their rules, but if they don't care to make characters that can compete, of course Daz3d will try to force people to come to them by supplying better content that are designed for their software and not poser, which makes sense i think.

toastie ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:51 AM

WandW posted at 11:44AM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257162

Due to the no Linking Policy here:

Into your Browser's address bar type 'www.runtimedna.com'

then after this type '/downloads.php' then hit return

You will be prompted to login if you aren't already. Zip file links will be on the right; do a right-dlick>Save As to rename them to something understandable by Humans if needed... 😜

Thanks for the info! I found my downloads again once I realised what was going on and got back to the normal website. No idea why it suddenly wanted to show me only the mobile site, but it was a very weird looking un-RDNAy thing! XD

I actually like some of the native Poser characters and use them. The main problem for me is that SM just releases them and abandons them. It's difficult to get very enthusiastic about a new character if all the content you have for them is converted old stuff from other figures or stuff you make yourself. I had hopes for Alyson & Ryan 2 because of Blackhearted's versions and Miki 4 is lovely. But - it's so much easier to just use V4 who has bucketloads of stuff anyway.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:51 AM

3D-Mobster posted at 5:42PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257167

I, like some others, have invested too much in Poser to try and start all over again. I have gained a lot over the last ten years and although V4 is no longer my go to figure I am not about to dump Poser, which makes this move all the more important. What will happen to the support, limited I accept, to the figures that do not originate from Daz?

I understand that, but maybe some of the blame falls on SM as well i think. Each time they release a new version of Poser, they have the opportunity to do so with new figures and they do. But at least to me, they don't really seem to put in the required effort of making some that are able to compete with what is currently on the market. If they know that Daz3d is going to make it more and more difficult for their figures to work with Poser, then they should release there own. They did release Paul and Pauline for Poser 11, but to be honest they are not really a competition to the current characters available and they keep releasing the same old figures each release.

Content matters for users and I personally used to be very excited whenever they released a new Poser version, to see these new figures, but it have not really kept up with what customers expect when seeing the new content i think, as if they are not really up to date with what content have already been available for a long time. As discussed with other people at RDNA, it can't really be that difficult to find or hire a good 3d modeller to make a couple of good characters, instead of releasing some semi bugged ones that are not really attractive to the majority. At least i think it would have a huge impact on Poser users. if people that used it, didn't really care for the genesis figures due to them being so difficult to use and simply used those that SM delivered instead. I think Poser users wouldn't care to much about the genesis figures, I really have had no good experience with the Genesis figures in Poser and think a lot of other users as well would also prefer being able to bypass them, but it requires that alternative figures exist and I think SM could easily combat Daz3d by doing that, instead of constantly having to play by their rules, but if they don't care to make characters that can compete, of course Daz3d will try to force people to come to them by supplying better content, which makes sense i think.

There may well be some truth in what you say but to be honest I was not looking to blame someone I am just concerned that this move will impact those who use the figures that don't originate from Daz, or SM for that matter. There is a lot that found a home at RDNA and, again without trying to blame someone, I do not see it having much chance of making it to Daz. Dusk and Dawn have a home at Hivewire3D along with the rest of the Hivewire family but what about the other figures like Antonia Polygon, Michelle and the like. OK they have a small following but they do give some choice and I hate to see any choices taken away. What about the weight mapped V4 that was given to the community. I think it would be wrong for anyone to pocket from such products unless it is the people who put in the hard work and created it.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

3DFineries ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:52 AM

prixat posted at 11:51AM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257147

It's too much of a coincidence that e-bots seemed to have started working again. Obviously Renderosity engineered the whole thing to get Poser users back here! lol

E-bots have been working. Devs have been working on it for a while now. It's just coincidence, nothing 'engineered'.

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:05 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:07 PM

There may well be some truth in what you say but to be honest I was not looking to blame someone...

Sorry, the "blame" stuff was not meant as if you were blaming someone. That was own view on you saying and a lot of others are not willing to give up Poser, but merely that if they did release new excellent characters with Poser, that people would most likely not care about these Genesis characters and therefore no reason to have a feeling of "giving" up on Poser. But can understand that you understood it as me referring to you. :D

These none SM/Daz3d figures should have a place as well, but I think it would be wrong for SM to not compete due to that. Because clearly Daz3D doesn't have any concerns about it and they are their main competition.

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:38 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:40 PM

hornet3d:

I have put in a query about the Poser Place projects which are hosted by RDNA. That's Antonia-WM, V4-WM, and the PP Applicator and Outfitter. The Poser Place group was also involved with getting Antonia-Standard together and arranging for its hosting at RDNA. I'm waiting for Traveler to respond to the questions in their FAQ before I contact the remaining PP team members to see if they have thoughts about what to do with those things.

We might be able to port the stuff to ShareCG or someplace, but ShareCG requires that the user posting an item be the creator of that item. All of the PP projects were collaborative, so I'm not sure how that would work out. I'm sure there are other options, perhaps including the Renderosity Free Stuff if Rosity is accommodating. BlueEcho has been activating the downloads for the old Antonia Free Site, so perhaps she could place the Antonia-related items there. These are community projects and resources, and we'll want to make sure they remain available.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:50 PM

3D-Mobster posted at 6:46PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257178

There may well be some truth in what you say but to be honest I was not looking to blame someone...

Sorry, the "blame" stuff was not meant as if you were blaming someone. That was own view on you saying and a lot of others are not willing to give up Poser, but merely that if they did release new excellent characters with Poser, that people would most likely not care about these Genesis characters and therefore no reason to have a feeling of "giving" up on Poser. But can understand that you understood it as me referring to you. :D

These none SM/Daz3d figures should have a place as well, but I think it would be wrong for SM to not compete due to that. Because clearly Daz3D doesn't have any concerns about it and they are their main competition.

It did not cross my mind for a minute that you accusing me of blaming someone, bad choice of words on my part. I have been critical of SM in the past as well and I agree with your comments, I guess I was just widening the scope by adding more aspects affected by this change. SM should compete, the more choice the better which is why this concerns me, on the face of it this reduces choice not enhances it.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 12:50 PM

Cage posted at 6:50PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257184

hornet3d:

I have put in a query about the Poser Place projects which are hosted by RDNA. That's Antonia-WM, V4-WM, and the PP Applicator and Outfitter. The Poser Place group was also involved with getting Antonia-Standard together and arranging for its hosting at RDNA. I'm waiting for Traveler to respond to the questions in their FAQ before I contact the remaining PP team members to see if they have thoughts about what to do with those things.

We might be able to port the stuff to ShareCG or someplace, but ShareCG requires that the user posting an item be the creator of that item. All of the PP projects were collaborative, so I'm not sure how that would work out. I'm sure there are other options, perhaps including the Renderosity Free Stuff if Rosity is accommodating. BlueEcho has been activating the downloads for the old Antonia Free Site, so perhaps she could place the Antonia-related items there. These are community projects and resources, and we'll want to make sure they remain available.

Thanks for that, I will be interested in the answer when available.

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:01 PM

3DFineries posted at 1:59PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257175

E-bots have been working. Devs have been working on it for a while now. It's just coincidence, nothing 'engineered'.

Actually, I haven't gotten any since 10:32 this morning, and I've posted since then... 😡

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:17 PM

Previously, RorrKonn said: > If DAZ didn't bail Runtime out, Runtime would have closed there doors anyways.<

And there you have identified the crux of the matter. It's a shame, too.

I happily buy from everyone, including DAZ. But I have received my most valuable help from the truly wonderful people in the forums & on the staff both here at Renderosity and at Runtime.

While I wish the Runtime crew well, it looks to me like a matter of sitting back and sadly watching history repeat itself.

Agreed that Smith-Micro has been no saint either. However, like most of us in here, I have too much time & money invested in Poser and, frankly, I've found it to be a far more capable program (warts & all).

In my opinion, what DAZ really has to gain from this acquisition is just another means of hurting Poser and attempting to create a bigger monopoly. I happen to love Carrara, too, and have been terribly befuddled over why DAZ has allowed it and Hexagon to flounder. Would Eovia have gone under if DAZ hadn't bought them? Sometimes, company purchases like this are made not to necessarily acquire a product but to take it off the market.

Ironic that DAZ' very existence (as a Zygote spinoff) was because of Poser in the first place. But, in the blink of an eye, years have passed and things have changed.

Oh, and the irritation of having to install Runtime content though DAZ Install Manager now--oh, my! LOL!

I'm sorry, I agree that DAZ, like any entity, has the right to protect their content--but their sense of megalomaniacal control, of late, has become a bit much.

Redfern ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:26 PM

Maybe it's just be reorganized, but the "deep freeze" section is no longer listed and products that were listed within that section now display their original "list prices".

Maybe someone already noted this. If so, I apologize for repeating stated events.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:40 PM

With supply's n all ,good luck making a descent oil painting for under $200 or $300.Cost $$$ to make Art.No matter the medium.

DAZ's greatest competition is Blender ,Substance Live ,MudBox etc etc.

The stores/venders greatest down falls are no imagination n not keeping up . When you see a original 2016 game mesh that's never been seen before ,textured like you've never seen before. I don't know ,I would think sirens should go off screaming we need to make stuff like that.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:54 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:57 PM

galaxiefilm posted at 2:41PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257193

In my opinion, what DAZ really has to gain from this acquisition is just another means of hurting Poser and attempting to create a bigger monopoly. I happen to love Carrara, too, and have been terribly befuddled over why DAZ has allowed it and Hexagon to flounder. Would Eovia have gone under if DAZ hadn't bought them? Sometimes, company purchases like this are made not to necessarily acquire a product but to take it off the market.

I can't seem to find it, but Chris Creek did an interview at Hivewire last Summer where I recall him saying that DAZ did purchase Carrara and Hexagon to keep e-Frontier (who then owned Poser) from acquiring them. Of course DAZ did continue to develop Cararra until recently. (edit; to clarify, they may still be, but I've been waiting a long time to upgrade from Carrara 8.5 to 9...)

He also said that they at DAZ were truly frightened at the time by Content Paradise; old-timers will recall that one could buy most, if not all, of RDNA's and R'osity's catalogues there until SM took over and deemphasized CP in 2008...

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:56 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:56 PM

Blender is a powerful program, RorrKonn. And no one can argue with its price.

But I don't believe I have enough days left in the rest of my life to tackle its interface.

Of course, if Kai Krause & crew cared to redesign it, well then... 😃

IO4 ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 2:03 PM

galaxiefilm posted at 2:00PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257193 .

Oh, and the irritation of having to install Runtime content though DAZ Install Manager now--oh, my! LOL!

This is such a myth - I never use DIM - I install Poser stuff where I want it manually. You don't need DIM to install poser content in Daz Studio. Just extract the product zip to wherever is convenient then copy/move over the Runtime files to the Runtime folder in Daz Studio on your computer. Simple:)

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 2:33 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 2:34 PM

galaxiefilm posted at 3:16PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257200

Blender is a powerful program, RorrKonn. And no one can argue with its price.

But I don't believe I have enough days left in the rest of my life to tackle its interface.

Of course, if Kai Krause & crew cared to redesign it, well then... 😃

My bad ,I meant some one is going to use Blender ,Substance Live ,MudBox etc etc. To make killer original 2016 meshes that's never been seen before ,textured like you've never seen before. Those CGI Artist are the greatest threat to the venders ,including DAZ. cause at the end of the day DAZ is a vender.

I got Substance live not to long a go .I was terrorized .but little buy little I'm learning it. Blenders UI is ,well ,you get use to it in time. Houdini is very affordable also. They keep making killer CGI App's affordable :) I wish but there's no way to make them as easy as DAZ Poser .

tonyvilters ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 2:34 PM

This "merge" only shows that the customers, the vendors, and ultimately the sites follow the better figures.

Everybody is loyal to the best figures, and this is NOT about what company or what app. It is ALL about who has the most attractive figures and thus creates the most income.

it is sad, but money talks.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 2:46 PM

No matter what happens, as in all things, there will always be an underground. I'd wager that if Poser were to go kaput tomorrow, there would still be a dedicated circle of folks still using it for years to come. Look at Bryce or Carrara or Silo, etc. etc... Some people couldn't care less about all the trendy conformist drama and keeping up with the jones'. It's about the strange little dreams, making due, and necessity being the mother and whatnot.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

crashworship ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 2:48 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 2:48 PM

Merger... This ain't no merger. That's just a sugar coat. This is an acquisition. RDNA's owners clearly saw which way the 3D winds are blowing and set sail for the obviously brighter horizon. What's really interesting is that RDNA has been one of the few places that actually had aftermarket support for Poser's character content - aka Pauline and Paul, which are obviously just Dawn and Dusk renamed. On SM's Poser support page, the forums link took you to....RDNA as the official Poser forum. Anyone who doesn't see this and another indication that Poser is dying a slow death... well. I wonder how long DAZ Studio will continue to be offered free. DAZ has done everything right so far and SM...? Notsamuch.

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 3:09 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 3:15 PM

Well, We can say is RDNA death, not Poser death at all, there are many people and artists that support Poser, and there is life after DAZ3d and their figures, just open the eyes. 😃 I can make a list of more than 10 figures equal or even better than equivalent Daz figures along time , the only problem is that people don't know them or just They are blinded by the marketing, and this is the reason many vreators make content for DAZ figures, it is just a vicious circle

The only problem that Daz has to close this circle definitively is that Poser is much better than DStudio, even if they five it by free, people still buy Poser.

Said that, I have no problem with people using Daz Studio, it is just another option in the "market", the problem comes when DAZ3d try to close the other door, Poser, just because they cannot control that part of the cake.

Genesis and now this "merge" is just another step from Daz3d to get the entire cake, thing that can be logical for a bussines, but not good for the content buyers and creators.

adh3d website

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 3:23 PM

The official word is that Poser sales are still strong. Poser isn't in immediate danger. What does seem evident is that the various Poser marketplaces are having a harder time getting people to buy their stuff. Part of that is probably the flight of part of the Poser user base to D|S, but there may be other factors. Among them, the fact that recent Poser versions make it easier to convert existing content between figures.

I think maybe the people for whom Poser was all about buying stuff, always chasing the newest thing, have been disproportionately drawn away to Daz and D|S. There are plenty of Poser users remaining, but we're not the shoppers that those others are. Or something.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 3:26 PM

Well said cage. Maybe rendo can adopt DNA's thanks button?

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 3:33 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 3:34 PM

WandW posted at 1:27PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257199

I can't seem to find it, but Chris Creek did an interview at Hivewire last Summer where I recall him saying that DAZ did purchase Carrara and Hexagon to keep e-Frontier (who then owned Poser) from acquiring them. Of course DAZ did continue to develop Cararra until recently. (edit; to clarify, they may still be, but I've been waiting a long time to upgrade from Carrara 8.5 to 9...)

He also said that they at DAZ were truly frightened at the time by Content Paradise; old-timers will recall that one could buy most, if not all, of RDNA's and R'osity's catalogues there until SM took over and deemphasized CP in 2008...

I very much wish that eFrontier had purchased it as there was always an intended connection between Carrara (RayDream) and Poser that was disrupted when MetaCreations sold off its programs.

It would have made more sense. But what's done is done. As I said above SM haven't exactly been saints either.

I know that people have tried to broker peace between SM and DAZ -- to no avail.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 5:24 PM

Quote "Of course DAZ did continue to develop Cararra until recently. (edit; to clarify, they may still be, but I've been waiting a long time to upgrade from Carrara 8.5 to 9...)" Not exactly true. I owned carrara before they sold to daz. They had an active development forum. There was someone there called charles who frequently posted about issues with carrara, and then the issues got fixed. We communicated with the programers and it was great. The program constantly improved rapidly until daz took it over. Then it seemed to stop, then slowly did a few new things but very very little compared to previously. The renderer was very good. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

toastie ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 7:00 PM

Yeah, one of the reasons probably for selling less Poser content is that it's not that hard to convert clothes between characters if you need to. I rarely even use clothes for the character they were designed for - I have some kind of compulsion to put them on something else XD Plus of course for a long time when there have been complaints about items not being available for less popular figures the response has been "learn to make your own" and maybe a lot of people have done this?

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 7:08 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 7:09 PM

Don't forget Bryce, I never understand why DAZ bought Bryce to put it in a corner and let die, the potential of that tool was, and is , fantastic.

About the thank button, yes it would be a great add-on for the forums.

adh3d website

RobZhena ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 7:23 PM

It may be that the gain for DAZ and its users is that there is a dull sameness to the G3 characters (two of which from different vendors released recently at the same time on this very site looked like twins!). The RDNA crew is wonderful at crafting great characters. I actually like Pauline and am sad to see a site that supported her die.

toastie ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 7:27 PM

adh3d posted at 7:26PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257280

Don't forget Bryce, I never understand why DAZ bought Bryce to put it in a corner and let die, the potential of that tool was, and is , fantastic.

About the thank button, yes it would be a great add-on for the forums.

Absolutely. I'm sad about what happened to Bryce.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 8:42 PM

I remember when we had what was called med range app's there was truespace ,Cararra ,something soft ,not softimage. then LW dropped there price and the 3D wars started and the med range app's faded a way. Now there's Blender and Houdini n you can get LW at a low price also so ... I still model in the 12 year old C4D Basic 9 ,Don't fix it if it ant broke ;)

Vue didn't do Bryce no favors.

In the CGI universe DAZ Poser are plugs for main app's so DAZ could never have a monopoly on CGI .If Autodesk had a indie license they might monopolize CGI.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 8:44 PM

tonyvilters posted at 9:44PM Wed, 24 February 2016 - #4257207

This "merge" only shows that the customers, the vendors, and ultimately the sites follow the better figures.

Everybody is loyal to the best figures, and this is NOT about what company or what app. It is ALL about who has the most attractive figures and thus creates the most income.

Preach the truth Brother !!!

toastie ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 9:08 PM

Of course Vue is better, but Bryce is still fun. It's sad that it was left to die.

Still waiting for some info on what will happen to the official Poser (and Mangastudio!) forums and where the vendors will be going - who apparently had about the same amount of notice as everyone else for the merger! That seems very bad to me :(

Chaosophia ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:35 PM

What I really want to know is how are the vendors going to feel, when Daz tells them their content isn't up to par with their "Daz's" promos, and level of "quality" for the model itself. Not slamming the vendors at all, but if you have submitted content to Daz for vendoring, you know what I am talking about. RDNA is a bit more lax than Daz in the promo and content area.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:48 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:50 PM

run time forums are not going any where.

venders can sell there stuff at renderosity ,runtime ,daz ,hivewire ,turbosquid etc etc any where they want. if u don't like one store rules then there's plenty more to pic from.

Chaosophia ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 11:59 PM

I'm talking about the content going over to Daz's site. Is Daz allowing the same content as is, where promos and some models are concerned, or they just going to allow the stuff with higher end rendering to be viewed upon the site.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 2:05 AM

mahakali posted at 2:51AM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257319

I'm talking about the content going over to Daz's site. Is Daz allowing the same content as is, where promos and some models are concerned, or they just going to allow the stuff with higher end rendering to be viewed upon the site.

who said any thing about having to move content .why can't every thing stay on the site it's on just like it is .

but there's a DAZ AND RDNA MERGER FAQ I'd put you armor on before you go thou. ;) you know not having eBots really not the worst thing that can happen to forums.

You can always open your own store n make your own rules.

Khory_D ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 2:23 AM

What gets moved over will move over as is I think. Many of the vendors from RDNA have stores at Daz already so they are aware of how things work. Anyone who feels wobbly starting out is sure to get plenty of offers of help. I'm not sure what the procedure will be if they want to update promos or products. It is a bit early to conjecture any way since I doubt if all of the Runtime folk have decided how they want to move forward.

www.Calida3d.com
Daz studio and Poser content creators

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 2:31 AM

When I started CGI there was no such thing as forums. we had mailing list. I started in TrueSpace n Corel .Poser was my third CGI app. I no longer even need Corel or Photoshop. TrueSpace R.I.P. I don't use LW or zBrush much n countless plugins. I have 1000's in software n hardware that's collecting dust ,broke,out dated, etc etc.

My 2016 studio is nothing like my 1998 studio. Don't even have the same old lady. ;) Good bad or indifferent things change. But I promise you my 2016 studio is way better then my 1998 studio. It's my studio ,I control my studio ,No one tells me any different.They can have 3D Wars ,Mergers or what ever they want. But they can't harm my studio.

I know a lot are concerned about the latest merger but it's there merger not yours ,So they can't harm you.

crashworship ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 9:56 AM · edited Thu, 25 February 2016 at 9:58 AM

tonyvilters posted at 9:37AM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257207

I would argue that quality is doing the talking here. Sure, Poser itself is my preferred posing platform but I've abandoned it because I've consistently had multiple problems making Genesis and Genesis 2 work and because Genesis 3 isn't compatible at all and these figures are clearly superior to anything that SM has offered up to and including Pauline and Paul which are clearly just Dawn and Dusk renamed and bundled with Poser 11. There are numerous threads here and in other 3D forums, including RDNA and DAZ's own community forums site wanting for and trying to get Genesis 3 compatibility for Poser and others trying to figure out workarounds to make it work. Repeatedly, SM's reps here and elsewhere claim that this is all on DAZ and only DAZ can make Genesis 3 compatible with Poser. I have a really, really hard time buying that. Since I've abandoned using Poser for this issue and I've got over a decade of Poser compatible content in my various libraries, I've had absolutely no problem getting that content, including Poser native character figures, props, scenes, etc, to work in DAZ Studio Pro. None whatsoever. SM's Poser developers write their software and they're trying to convince their customers that they are completely helpless when it comes to DAZ Genesis 3 compatibility in Poser? Please. They can clearly write Genesis 3 compatibility into their software. DAZ's developers don't seem to have much difficulty in writing compatibility of Poser's content in Studio. Smith Micro has a lot of different types of software products, archivers, utilities, graphics, blah blah blah. DAZ does mostly one thing: 3D. Obviously Smith Micro just doesn't care enough to support Poser. If it goes down, they've got other stuff they can make money from.

Ultimately Poser's best hope for survival is for it to be spun off or sold and simply abandoned and made open source which would ultimately be the best solution for the 3D community. But don't ever expect SM to ever truly support its Poser customers. In the end, they really just don't need us all that much.

3DFineries ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 11:37 AM

Check out this thread HERE if you want Gen3 to work in Poser. Thankfully, it has been done & to top it all off it's FREE!

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 1:26 PM · edited Thu, 25 February 2016 at 1:26 PM

Traveler addresses the question about Poser community projects hosted by RDNA, in their merger FAQ thread:

Q: What will be happening to the Poser community projects that RDNA has been hosting? Will Antonia, Antonia-WM, V4-WM, and the Poser Place Applicator and Outfitter scripts lose their hosting?"

A: We welcome the Poser and other forums/projects to continue to function as they are. We do not plan to shut them down so long as they provide value to the community and as long as they remain positive and civil.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 4:34 PM

crashworship post a solid wire frame of Pauline so I can see the topology.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 9:22 PM · edited Thu, 25 February 2016 at 9:26 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, profanity

crashworship posted at 9:09PM Thu, 25 February 2016 - #4257412

...including Pauline and Paul which are clearly just Dawn and Dusk renamed and bundled with Poser 11.

This says it all folks,

You probably don't even have P11, Pauline, Paul. I wonder if you even have Dawn at this point. The wire frames are not anything alike, in any way. I know this because I did a lot of work on Dawn for SR1 and have completely re rigged Pauline. IE, I actually use the figures in question, look at them in wire frame view, and have done everything I could do to improve them for the community.

You apparently don't do anything other than spew....

If you had a clue about what you spew, you would be dangerous.........

Actually you are dangerous, because you spread dis information everywhere you go........

Pauline is on the left, Dawn is on the right. If those look the same to you I don't know what to tell you......................

Pauline versus Dawn.jpg

Mods, feel free to delete this post, and if you decide to do that delete all the disinformation in this thread as well. You can do a lot of that in one click and simply delete the whole thread.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2016 at 1:14 AM

I'm not seeing any written requirements that anyone have or use any particular figure (or even any figure at all) or any specific version of Poser to be a serious and dedicated Poser user.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2016 at 1:26 AM

I'm also not seeing enough misinformation (I prefer to think of it mostly as concerned speculation) to warrant deletion of anything. Of course a fascist might see it differently. The answer is simple, DNA sold out. Literally. Nothing wrong with that I suppose from a pragmatic standpoint. Funny how artist's aren't known generally for pragmatism though.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2016 at 1:38 AM

shvrdavid Thanks for the .jpg :)

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2016 at 1:39 AM

EldritchCellar posted at 2:39AM Fri, 26 February 2016 - #4257548

I'm also not seeing enough misinformation (I prefer to think of it mostly as concerned speculation) to warrant deletion of anything. Of course a fascist might see it differently. The answer is simple, DNA sold out. Literally. Nothing wrong with that I suppose from a pragmatic standpoint. Funny how artist's aren't known generally for pragmatism though.

RorrKonn goes n looks up the definition of pragmatism ;)

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2016 at 1:44 AM

Jeez, those are some seriously liberal lash transmap planes on Dawn. Interesting topology on both those meshes.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.